• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 14:34
CEST 20:34
KST 03:34
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror6[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Rollback Netcode in Brood War645.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202621Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
RSL 2026 Offline Finals LCQ Sign-Ups $3,500 WardiTV Not-Summer Championship ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
BW General Discussion Sagi.gg Launcher Released ChatGPT cheats at StarSkirmish SCAI tournament Rollback Netcode in Brood War TL Sidebar missing streams
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Semifinal A [ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25!
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread TeamLiquid Health and Fitness Initiative For 2023 MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
The Link Between Gaming and …
TrAiDoS
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 13576 users

A Visitor's Guide to Providence (in Advance of MLG - Page 5

Forum Index > SC2 General
Post a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All
vilehelm
Profile Joined July 2011
10 Posts
November 17 2011 08:05 GMT
#81
I went to school in Providence back in the 90s (RISD). I'm genuinely sad I can't be at MLG Providence. It was all planned out but work commitments got in the way.

I'm glad to hear that Bob and Timmy's is still in business though. Amazingly good artisan pizza.

If you have a little free time and you want to see something interesting try to swing by the Armory district, adjacent to Federal Hill. This was my old neighborhood and the The Rhode Island Armory is a wonderful old building to see.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/marc72/5502352694/in/set-72157624043684410
CookieMaker
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
Canada880 Posts
November 17 2011 08:18 GMT
#82
This OP is one of the most blatant uses of hospitality I've ever seen.

I've never been anywhere near Providence, never met anyone from Providence, or heard any stories about anyone from Providence. But after this OP, I have absolute certainty that if I strolled into Providence one day that I will be greeted with smiles and rainbows.

You sir, give the people of Providence a good name.
Micro your Macro
TigerGosu1
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
71 Posts
November 17 2011 13:43 GMT
#83
To add to the list of suggestions for food places:

Ume
http://www.umebuffet.com/

It's an all you can eat buffet with hibachi, sushi, chinese and seafood = crabs.

If you happen to have a car go check it out. 30 minutes from the Convention center but definitely worth it in my opinion.
Jnai
Profile Joined September 2010
United States442 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-11-17 14:12:18
November 17 2011 14:09 GMT
#84
On November 17 2011 16:13 XThunderyX wrote:
Any good Korean food or Chinese Buffets? I have an issue on trips where I just go to Chinese buffets and eat nothing but crab legs for days >.>


The best Korean food in town, which gets RAVE reviews, is Mama Kim's (http://www.mamakims.us/).

Conveniently, they have a food truck!

I sent them a tweet last night and told them that 100 Koreans and 10,000 people who wanted to be Koreans were going to Providence this weekend, they replied that they might come park outside the convention center one day. So, you should all support them, because a) they are tasty and awesome and b) what could be better than eating Korean food while watching Idra/MMA. =)

If you also want them to show up you should send them a tweet (@MamaKimsKbbq). Will increase likelihood of awesome.




Also, I think I would avoid Soban if I was on Thayer. I have heard nothing but bad things and if you're on Thayer and want to spend that much on good food go to Andreas. But if someone who has actually been there wants to correct me, please feel free =)
Insomni7
Profile Joined June 2011
667 Posts
November 17 2011 14:19 GMT
#85
From personal experience, he ain't kidding about the parking enforcement. Those guys are on it.
Never Forget.
Attero
Profile Joined February 2010
Canada271 Posts
November 17 2011 14:20 GMT
#86
Awesome guide it's always hard for me to find food that is awesome and healthier. At Raleigh I was stuck eating barely cooked fries and the nastiest chicken strips I have ever tasted. Ended up throwing the whole thing out and suffering through my matches on an empty stomach. Going to check these places out for sure!
Retired SC2 Professional | The Beaver Show | twitch.tv/OmniAttero
blakbeard
Profile Joined December 2010
United States19 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-11-17 15:12:25
November 17 2011 15:07 GMT
#87
Vindubs
Profile Joined May 2010
United States110 Posts
November 17 2011 15:16 GMT
#88
Attero,

Thayer street is the place you are looking for. its right next to the college and and has a VARIETY of all sorts of food. I reccommend the Bieblos Burger (prob not healthy) at the Bieblos Hookah Bar!
Stephano,Sase,Naniwa HWAITING!
Vindubs
Profile Joined May 2010
United States110 Posts
November 17 2011 15:18 GMT
#89
On November 17 2011 17:18 CookieMaker wrote:
This OP is one of the most blatant uses of hospitality I've ever seen.

I've never been anywhere near Providence, never met anyone from Providence, or heard any stories about anyone from Providence. But after this OP, I have absolute certainty that if I strolled into Providence one day that I will be greeted with smiles and rainbows.

You sir, give the people of Providence a good name.



I think this ammmount of generosity comes from just being part of the Starcraft 2 Community. In general I work with the public every day out here. and while we arent the WORST people we definately arent the nicest. RI is always moving. people are always in a rush just becareful.

Stephano,Sase,Naniwa HWAITING!
warbaby
Profile Joined May 2011
United States510 Posts
November 17 2011 17:05 GMT
#90
On November 17 2011 17:18 CookieMaker wrote:
This OP is one of the most blatant uses of hospitality I've ever seen.

I've never been anywhere near Providence, never met anyone from Providence, or heard any stories about anyone from Providence. But after this OP, I have absolute certainty that if I strolled into Providence one day that I will be greeted with smiles and rainbows.

You sir, give the people of Providence a good name.


LOL, perhaps this more reflects on the TL community? IMO Providence, like most other East Coast cities I've visited, has that certain edginess where everybody either seems in a hurry to get somewhere else, is trying to hustle you, or is unreasonably drunk/high/dying from a head wound in public.

OTOH, Providence is less intense than NYC, more fun than Hartford, and less snooty than Boston, so it's probably a good city to spend time in compared to it's neighbors .
It puts the GG in the basket. It does this whenever it's told or else it gets the Mutalisks again.
FatalBlur
Profile Blog Joined September 2011
United States25 Posts
November 17 2011 19:48 GMT
#91
just a fair warning to all visitors, you might want to try to stay away from the streets at night, js its a good chance you'll be robbed or worse, Providence is a dangerous city, lots of gangs, be safe, gl
Afriken
Profile Joined September 2011
United States11 Posts
November 17 2011 20:05 GMT
#92
Oh also if you want good food (Seafood, steak, etc) Fire & Ice is DEFINITELY a must top for you. They have all the food out raw for you and you bring it up to a huge grill to be cooked however you like it. You can chose from a bunch of different sauces, there is a huge salad bar.

Don't know if they are just relative to the Northeast, but it is definitely an awesome place to eat.
Beorning
Profile Joined June 2011
United States243 Posts
November 17 2011 20:48 GMT
#93
I guess the food is the best thing, since the real draw of Rhode Island got shut down http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prostitution_in_Rhode_Island
The Italian can be pretty good, but what you NEED to look for, is a Portuguese bakery, get some sweet bread, or doughnuts, holy jesus those are great
battyone
Profile Blog Joined June 2011
United States180 Posts
November 17 2011 21:24 GMT
#94
On November 18 2011 05:48 Beorning wrote:
I guess the food is the best thing, since the real draw of Rhode Island got shut down http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prostitution_in_Rhode_Island
The Italian can be pretty good, but what you NEED to look for, is a Portuguese bakery, get some sweet bread, or doughnuts, holy jesus those are great


Not that i would go myself but some light gooling has shown a large number of..errr...full service massage palors. Apparently it's not as dead there as one would imagine.
Let's Go Mets!
Beorning
Profile Joined June 2011
United States243 Posts
November 18 2011 01:32 GMT
#95
On November 18 2011 06:24 battyone wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 18 2011 05:48 Beorning wrote:
I guess the food is the best thing, since the real draw of Rhode Island got shut down http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prostitution_in_Rhode_Island
The Italian can be pretty good, but what you NEED to look for, is a Portuguese bakery, get some sweet bread, or doughnuts, holy jesus those are great


Not that i would go myself but some light gooling has shown a large number of..errr...full service massage palors. Apparently it's not as dead there as one would imagine.

Yeah, I guess massage can be pretty widely interpreted.
Jnai
Profile Joined September 2010
United States442 Posts
November 18 2011 02:07 GMT
#96
TLO is awesome =)

[image loading]
doh_grenny
Profile Joined November 2011
2 Posts
November 18 2011 05:08 GMT
#97
Okay, if there's no beer at MLG, can we get a barcraft going on in one of those nearby bars simultaneously? Who's in?
XThunderyX
Profile Blog Joined August 2009
United States367 Posts
November 18 2011 06:58 GMT
#98
On November 17 2011 23:09 Jnai wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 17 2011 16:13 XThunderyX wrote:
Any good Korean food or Chinese Buffets? I have an issue on trips where I just go to Chinese buffets and eat nothing but crab legs for days >.>


The best Korean food in town, which gets RAVE reviews, is Mama Kim's (http://www.mamakims.us/).

Conveniently, they have a food truck!

I sent them a tweet last night and told them that 100 Koreans and 10,000 people who wanted to be Koreans were going to Providence this weekend, they replied that they might come park outside the convention center one day. So, you should all support them, because a) they are tasty and awesome and b) what could be better than eating Korean food while watching Idra/MMA. =)

If you also want them to show up you should send them a tweet (@MamaKimsKbbq). Will increase likelihood of awesome.




Also, I think I would avoid Soban if I was on Thayer. I have heard nothing but bad things and if you're on Thayer and want to spend that much on good food go to Andreas. But if someone who has actually been there wants to correct me, please feel free =)

Done ;p hopefully they come, I've never had food truck food before.
ZeaL.
Profile Blog Joined April 2009
United States5955 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-11-18 07:35:30
November 18 2011 07:27 GMT
#99
I was in RI for 4 years, some additional food recommendations

Korean food: I was going to recommend Solomon's on Benefit St. but apparently its closed down now? I loved that place, one korean mom made all the food and the dad served it. According to Yelp there's a place called Sun and Moon that looks pretty good, it should be just down the street from a tiny korean market named Asiana that I used to go to all the time (it has the staples but PVD isn't really the place to be if you want to get korean groceries).

SE Asian Food near Brown: I know there's Phonatic and Spice near Brown but the best imo is Sawaddee on Hope St. Pretty small place and very good food. Angkor is close by on Thayer if Sawaddee is full (which is likely to happen) and offers really fucking good Cambodian food. I don't really know what Cambodian food is but whatever they serve at Angkor is good.

Federal Hill: I don't think you can go wrong with any of the places, the popular places can get packed really quick on the weekends and with MLG there I'm going to guess its going to be reallllllly hard to get into them. Honestly, its all really good Italian food and if you don't want to to wait, wander around cause there's a ton of restaurants up there. I would recommend visiting Pastiche for dessert though, especially if you have a ladyfriend.

Water St.:
Bacaro: If you want Italian off of Federal Hill and don't mind spending a little more, Bacaro is really good too. Definitely a classier/pricier establishment, lots of sausages of different kinds to eat, very good.
Hemmenway's: Probably the most famous seafood restaurant in PVD, if you like raw clams go there because they have a great selection of fresh clams. Other than that, its pretty expensive and about on par with other expensive seafood restaurants (i.e. you get what you pay for, $$$$ equals =DDDD)

College Hill/Thayer: I personally think the majority of College Hill restaurants are overrated. I ate a shit ton of pizza at Antonio's and wraps at East Side Pockets but I don't think that they're particularly special, just convenient.
-Bagel Gourmet: If you get a chance to, a bacon egg and cheese bagel from bagel gourmet (the one on Thayer, NOT the Hope st. one) is worth it, their burritos are not bad too.
-Andrea's: Andrea's is hit or miss in my opinion, though I would kill for the fried calamari appetizer. The saganaki cheese appetizer is pretty interesting and actually really tasty too.
-Via Via: Despite the fact that this place is sketchy as fuck and is probably a front for some sort of italian mob thing, the pizza from Via Via is actually amazing and I prefer it to Antonio's. If I want a good old pizza Via Via is where its at, Pizza Pie-er if I want a ton of weird "healthy/fancy" toppings.

I know most of you guys are going to be at the convention center and the immediate area of downtown providence but if you're feeling adventurous and need a breath of fresh air, the East Bay bike path is a well maintained path that you can walk on which goes through some really pretty parts of providence/RI. If you can't make it out that far a walk down the river in downtown providence is pretty nice too, especially since it cuts through parts of RISD and there's sort of a running path/park thing down there. You can see where its starts from Providence Place Mall/train station and it runs down to water st.
RiceAgainst
Profile Blog Joined November 2011
United States1849 Posts
November 18 2011 07:27 GMT
#100
Quick question about the schedule: is it in PST? I'm pretty sure it is but I just want to make sure.
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Patches Events
00:00
Patch Clash S1 Special #1
RotterdaM1266
TKL 435
IndyStarCraft 285
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
RotterdaM 1266
ByuN 525
TKL 435
IndyStarCraft 285
Reynor 175
BRAT_OK 53
EmSc Tv 8
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 34100
Calm 2624
Shuttle 388
Mini 161
White-Ra 110
firebathero 102
Mong 59
soO 19
scan(afreeca) 17
Sacsri 6
Dota 2
Gorgc9127
Counter-Strike
fl0m3184
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby3401
Liquid`Hasu463
MindelVK6
Other Games
Liquid`RaSZi2304
FrodaN1523
B2W.Neo768
olofmeister617
Khaldor471
KnowMe257
Beastyqt228
crisheroes174
Livibee173
Mew2King74
ToD54
kaitlyn16
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick416
BasetradeTV214
StarCraft 2
EmSc Tv 8
EmSc2Tv 8
[ Show 20 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hinosc 28
• Adnapsc2 9
• Reevou 7
• niya90s 1
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Airneanach68
• Azhi_Dahaki22
• blackmanpl 22
• 80smullet 8
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• WagamamaTV618
Other Games
• imaqtpie976
• Shiphtur696
• tFFMrPink 11
Upcoming Events
BSL Open Qualifier
26m
BSL Open Qualifier
26m
OSC
4h 26m
Replay Cast
4h 26m
OSC
17h 26m
WardiTV Weekly
1d 16h
PiGosaur Cup
2 days
Kung Fu Cup
2 days
The PondCast
3 days
Online Event
4 days
[ Show More ]
Korean StarCraft League
5 days
Afreeca Starleague
5 days
Rush vs Soulkey
CranKy Ducklings
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
HCC Season 3
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.