• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 10:59
CEST 16:59
KST 23:59
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Rollback Netcode in Brood War175.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202620Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event RSL 2026 Offline Finals LCQ Sign-Ups Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Rollback Netcode in Brood War Sagi.gg Launcher Released Fantasy returning? GG Lan Fest Sofia, Bulgaria [this November] ASL22 General Discussion
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 10832 users

Sundance Talks About 2012 Expansion (forbes) - Page 2

Forum Index > SC2 General
Post a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All
r_con
Profile Blog Joined May 2011
United States824 Posts
August 12 2011 17:26 GMT
#21
On August 13 2011 02:21 DeltruS wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 13 2011 01:48 Liquid`Jinro wrote:
I kinda enjoy there being an off-season, I hope they can incorporate that somehow (like, they have lots of games so just make it so each game has a 3-4 month off season... Can probably be accomplished with some clever overlap.


I agree. There is always MUCH more good play after an off season and I can't watch 10000 hours of SC a year.


I like the off season in broodwar, it was a time for fun little tournaments, like the all stars, stx soul masters things. It was good stuff.
Flash Fan!
Kralic
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
Canada2628 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-08-12 17:48:56
August 12 2011 17:28 GMT
#22
On August 13 2011 02:22 thehitman wrote:
44 to 50 ? That sounds boring. I mean seriously its too much.

So pro gamers can't have any break and if they want to stay in pool play they need to work as slave labor?

This sucks. I mean Sundance has shown that he only cares about profits and not much else!

Anyone still remember the "if we sell 100.000 tickets I will increase the prize" line?

Dreamhack, IEM, IPL, ESL, etc... on the other hand have been very community and players centric.



I cannot tell if you are being serious. 44-50 weeks of competition will most likely be done online and not at an actual event. MLG has always been community and player centric. A lot of the MLG staff used to be gamers themselves at the top level. In the end they are a business but I have not seen a CEO of a business be so actively involved in communities outside of his companies website before.
Brood War forever!
Marou
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
Germany1371 Posts
August 12 2011 17:35 GMT
#23
yeah, adding MK9 is a bad move by MLG, this game has no community.
I think what MLG needs to do is have events outside of the US and start to be a global circuit like ESWC was or like WCG is, but with many more stops.
twitter@RickyMarou
FoeHamr
Profile Joined December 2010
United States489 Posts
August 12 2011 17:40 GMT
#24
On August 13 2011 01:55 Seohce wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 13 2011 01:48 Liquid`Jinro wrote:
I kinda enjoy there being an off-season, I hope they can incorporate that somehow (like, they have lots of games so just make it so each game has a 3-4 month off season... Can probably be accomplished with some clever overlap.


I agree, I enjoy having the first event of the season to look forward to during the off-season, and seeing how players and teams have prepared during that time. Talking from my experience of watching the Halo for a few years by the way, but it will be the same with Starcraft.

I almost think 44-50 weeks of competitive play sounds like too much (I know, it sounds crazy). But take the NASL for example, I pretty much gave up watching the games mid-season as there was just too many to watch and too much stuff to follow. I like how MLG is now, if anything I think they should only add one or two more pro circuit stops, and keep the off-season.

Saying all this though, any expansion is good for the game and esports in general. Can't wait to see the day when we have an MLG event in Europe!


While I agree that there COULD be too much stuff happening at once, I really enjoyed the NASL because I was able to watch high level starcraft basically at any day in the week. I do think that 44-50 weeks is too much, but I would be all for like 1 event per month. I could totally spend one weekend a month doing nothing but watching MLG
KhAmun
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
United States1005 Posts
August 12 2011 17:42 GMT
#25
Wow that is a lot of SC2, I hope they can maintain consistent quality while giving content for almost the entire year. Excited nontheless for some awesome content though
Taf the Ghost
Profile Joined December 2010
United States11751 Posts
August 12 2011 17:47 GMT
#26
On August 13 2011 01:58 Luckbox wrote:
MK9 is a really bad idea, it's already dead competitively, very few locals tournies are even running it and the only reason it got played was the money netherealm paid to get its own tournament and the money it paid to evo.

Should try and learn something from the CPLs failure at jerking around the FPS community to the "new" ( read PR money thrown at them ) game every year.


Sundance has said he's trying to get Capcom games, but the previous CEO kind of pissed the living hell out of Capcom, so it's going to take some work.
Kipsate
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
Netherlands45349 Posts
August 12 2011 17:47 GMT
#27
Are they adding LoL to their roster?it seems like that would be a good thing to do.
WriterXiao8~~
t3tsubo
Profile Blog Joined April 2009
Canada682 Posts
August 12 2011 17:47 GMT
#28
its not 44-55 weeks of competition btw, its days. There isnt even 55 weeks in a year lol
Joey Wheeler
Profile Joined July 2011
Korea (North)276 Posts
August 12 2011 17:48 GMT
#29
"50 weeks of competition? that's too much ESPORTS for me!"

Do you guys realize how retarded you sound right now? I'm pretty sure most people don't watch every single goddamn game played in sport leagues like the NFL or NHL, doesn't mean it isn't a good thing there is always something going on.


No one's going to take something that only happens a few weekends a year seriously. I for one, congratulate Sundance.
Taf the Ghost
Profile Joined December 2010
United States11751 Posts
August 12 2011 17:48 GMT
#30
Slasher, on the last Live on Three, said they now have two full studios setup in Dallas & New York. I expect we'll be seeing weekend & online tournaments with maybe 6-8 big LANs a year.
Cyrak
Profile Joined July 2011
Canada536 Posts
August 12 2011 17:50 GMT
#31
Make more stops instead! WTB MLG Toronto.
Fortune favors the prepared mind.
agtemd
Profile Joined August 2010
Canada362 Posts
August 12 2011 17:52 GMT
#32
On August 13 2011 02:50 Cyrak wrote:
Make more stops instead! WTB MLG Toronto.

Yes please!! If not Toronto at least somewhere in Ontario or Quebec
MLG_Adam
Profile Joined July 2010
United States994 Posts
August 12 2011 17:53 GMT
#33
More weeks of competition does not mean that every title carried by the Pro Circuit will be active for those weeks. He means that we'll be doing more activity for the PRO CIRCUIT, not *insert title here* will be operated and broadcast all year.
Twitter: MrAdamAp
venom0us
Profile Joined November 2010
United States60 Posts
August 12 2011 17:55 GMT
#34
MLG should have competitions at their HQ in NYC during off season.
Taf the Ghost
Profile Joined December 2010
United States11751 Posts
August 12 2011 17:55 GMT
#35
"Next year we’re looking at between 44 to 50 weeks of meaningful competition play happening in a combination of these tour stops, but also a central location for league activity to take place" is I think the key point.

We're going to get either 2 or 3 "seasons" each year. I'm thinking, if 2 seasons + national finals, it's probably 3 LANs per season + national finals. If 3 seasons, likely 2 LANs per season then national finals.

There will be some leagues between. I'm guessing focused on weekends and maybe like 8-man invite SC2 tournaments? 8-team FPS competitions? There's a lot they can do on a weekend.
unoriginalname
Profile Joined November 2010
England380 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-08-12 17:57:37
August 12 2011 17:56 GMT
#36
I'm unsure about the 44-50 weeks from purely a spectator view point. I believe the hype around MLG is because of it's infrequency I guess, it happens 6 times a year for three days each events making a total of 18 days.

While the layout it different it's a similar (not exact) amount of days total as say an OSL or MSL.

I've already cut down on a lot of content because I simply do not have the time to view it all, the same will follow with MLG's new online format, but I'll be sure to stick with watching the events.
Hmmm
Taf the Ghost
Profile Joined December 2010
United States11751 Posts
August 12 2011 17:57 GMT
#37
On August 13 2011 02:52 agtemd wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 13 2011 02:50 Cyrak wrote:
Make more stops instead! WTB MLG Toronto.

Yes please!! If not Toronto at least somewhere in Ontario or Quebec


Sundance has said that getting their equipment across the border is a nightmare to no end. So don't expect any Canada LANs anytime soon.
TaKemE
Profile Joined April 2010
Denmark1045 Posts
August 12 2011 17:57 GMT
#38
MK9 was awesome at EVO imo and did alot better then I thought it would, cant wait to se what will happen if someone as big as MLG picks it up.

Its dosent have a big community right now but that might come.
Cyrak
Profile Joined July 2011
Canada536 Posts
August 12 2011 17:58 GMT
#39
On August 13 2011 02:57 Taf the Ghost wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 13 2011 02:52 agtemd wrote:
On August 13 2011 02:50 Cyrak wrote:
Make more stops instead! WTB MLG Toronto.

Yes please!! If not Toronto at least somewhere in Ontario or Quebec


Sundance has said that getting their equipment across the border is a nightmare to no end. So don't expect any Canada LANs anytime soon.


Ahhhh, that is understandable but depressing.
Fortune favors the prepared mind.
GrimmJ
Profile Joined July 2011
Canada131 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-08-12 18:05:51
August 12 2011 18:04 GMT
#40
I think MLG should use one of these headquarters as a studio similar to GSL/GOMtv. When there isn't a tournament, matches between teams/players should be played in front of an audience and streamed online. These games would basically be similar online qualifiers for the Pro Circuit.

^_^
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 8h 2m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
LamboSC2 379
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 36735
Calm 7420
Bisu 2562
Rain 1411
Jaedong 1040
Horang2 606
BeSt 568
Rush 419
Soma 350
Larva 348
[ Show more ]
Stork 325
Light 275
ZerO 199
Zeus 183
Snow 177
Mind 141
Free 113
910 101
Barracks 79
Killer 57
Mong 43
Hyun 42
Trap 34
ToSsGirL 32
Shinee 31
Terrorterran 25
Pusan 23
Bale 23
Rock 21
Aegong 21
Hm[arnc] 20
sorry 20
Sexy 13
Sacsri 10
Noble 8
Dota 2
Gorgc8750
XaKoH 427
Counter-Strike
fl0m4207
Heroes of the Storm
crisheroes497
Other Games
gofns35196
singsing2313
B2W.Neo800
hiko460
Lowko355
Mlord340
Hui .184
Livibee184
mouzStarbuck170
DeMusliM166
RotterdaM91
ToD68
Mew2King66
QueenE66
Trikslyr66
KnowMe45
ZerO(Twitch)15
Organizations
StarCraft: Brood War
lovetv 9
[ Show 14 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• mYiSmile19
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• FirePhoenix17
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Nemesis4221
• Jankos2462
• TFBlade669
Other Games
• Shiphtur331
Upcoming Events
OSC
8h 2m
Big Brain Bouts
19h 2m
Rex vs INexorable
GgMaChine vs HeRoMaRinE
Reynor vs herO
AI Arena Tournament
1d 2h
BSL: Ladder Tournament
1d 4h
Sparkling Tuna Cup
1d 19h
Patches Events
2 days
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
WardiTV Weekly
3 days
PiGosaur Cup
4 days
[ Show More ]
The PondCast
5 days
Online Event
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-10-08
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.