• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 18:45
CEST 00:45
KST 07:45
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202610Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Sagi.gg Launcher Released Fantasy returning? BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ BW General Discussion GG Lan Fest Sofia, Bulgaria [this November]
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Artificial Intelligence Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8903 users

Sundance Talks About 2012 Expansion (forbes)

Forum Index > SC2 General
Post a Reply
1 2 3 4 5 Next All
Sermokala
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
United States14211 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-08-12 17:00:14
August 12 2011 16:45 GMT
#1
http://www.forbes.com/sites/johngaudiosi/2011/08/11/major-league-gamings-expansion-plan-for-2012-opens-up-more-opportunities-for-gamers-and-advertisers/2/

I'm though the first and a half page and this is solid gold. 55% of stream watchers are not american. 2012 will be a huge expansion year. MK9 will be added to the curcit.

Would that be more about adding tour stops or more competitions between tour stops?

One of our plans is to build something which will support both. Right now we have 18 days a year where we have meaningful competition. We have the six pro circuit stops. Next year we’re looking at between 44 to 50 weeks of meaningful competition play happening in a combination of these tour stops, but also a central location for league activity to take place.


I'll add more to this OP but Its another forbes article so lets get that traffic rolling on there.

How long is your season this year?

We start at the beginning of the year and our season ends in November. It’s basically a year long, but next year it will be more seasonal. The seasons will be broken down into shorter runs with a championship at the end of the year.

this made me think about something. Their only asking for $25 a YEAR for everything. If I didn't have a membership already I'd buy another one.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/johngaudiosi/2011/08/05/why-major-league-gaming-is-thriving-while-pro-sports-are-struggling/

This is another article I found about MLG on forbes its a really cool one.
A wise man will say that he knows nothing. We're gona party like its 2752 Hail Dark Brandon
Liquid`Jinro
Profile Blog Joined September 2002
Sweden33719 Posts
August 12 2011 16:48 GMT
#2
I kinda enjoy there being an off-season, I hope they can incorporate that somehow (like, they have lots of games so just make it so each game has a 3-4 month off season... Can probably be accomplished with some clever overlap.
Moderatortell the guy that interplanatar interaction is pivotal to terrans variety of optionitudals in the pre-midgame preperatories as well as the protosstinal deterriggation of elite zergling strikes - Stimey n | Formerly FrozenArbiter
FlopTurnReaver
Profile Blog Joined January 2010
Switzerland1980 Posts
August 12 2011 16:51 GMT
#3
44 to 50 weeks sounds sick :s

I think it's cool the way it is now.
Check out @MapOfTheMonth on Twitter and under http://bit.ly/motmorg
Ownos
Profile Joined July 2010
United States2147 Posts
August 12 2011 16:52 GMT
#4
44 to 50 weeks? Is he talking about the new online competitions?
...deeper and deeper into the bowels of El Diablo
ava34
Profile Joined March 2010
United Kingdom153 Posts
August 12 2011 16:54 GMT
#5
Overdoing it would kill MLG for the viewers too, I think. The last MLG was something special - if they had events too frequently, the big events would lose their impact over time...
Firesilver
Profile Joined December 2010
United Kingdom1190 Posts
August 12 2011 16:55 GMT
#6
This is great news, MLG is a fantastic event and the more the better! Off-seasons sound good also.
Caster at IMBA.tv -- www.twitter.com/IMBAFiresilver -- www.youtube.com/FiresilverTV
Seohce
Profile Joined October 2010
United Kingdom394 Posts
August 12 2011 16:55 GMT
#7
On August 13 2011 01:48 Liquid`Jinro wrote:
I kinda enjoy there being an off-season, I hope they can incorporate that somehow (like, they have lots of games so just make it so each game has a 3-4 month off season... Can probably be accomplished with some clever overlap.


I agree, I enjoy having the first event of the season to look forward to during the off-season, and seeing how players and teams have prepared during that time. Talking from my experience of watching the Halo for a few years by the way, but it will be the same with Starcraft.

I almost think 44-50 weeks of competitive play sounds like too much (I know, it sounds crazy). But take the NASL for example, I pretty much gave up watching the games mid-season as there was just too many to watch and too much stuff to follow. I like how MLG is now, if anything I think they should only add one or two more pro circuit stops, and keep the off-season.

Saying all this though, any expansion is good for the game and esports in general. Can't wait to see the day when we have an MLG event in Europe!
carloselcoco
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
United States2302 Posts
August 12 2011 16:58 GMT
#8
Mate, please search the forums before posting. There is already a thread about this.

http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=253714

This one should be closed
http://www.twitch.tv/carloselcoco/b/296431601 <------Suscribe! Casts in Spanish :) |||| http://www.twitch.tv/carloselcoco/b/300285215<----- CSL: Before Sunday! Episode 3!
lunchforthesky
Profile Joined June 2011
United Kingdom967 Posts
August 12 2011 16:58 GMT
#9
Wish List:
More prize money.
New format.
End to the big winter break.
Gryffes
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
United Kingdom763 Posts
August 12 2011 16:58 GMT
#10
MK9 is a really bad idea, it's already dead competitively, very few locals tournies are even running it and the only reason it got played was the money netherealm paid to get its own tournament and the money it paid to evo.

Should try and learn something from the CPLs failure at jerking around the FPS community to the "new" ( read PR money thrown at them ) game every year.
www.youtube.com/gryffes - Random Gaming Videos.
Lewan72
Profile Joined April 2011
United States381 Posts
August 12 2011 17:00 GMT
#11
Bigger breaks between MLGs would be helpful. Columbus and Anaheim were really kick-ass, having them too close together isn't good. That's why I'm worried about Raliegh.
MC / Hero / MMA / Bomber / Coca / Suppy
SiffStarcraft
Profile Joined May 2011
United States45 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-08-12 17:03:30
August 12 2011 17:03 GMT
#12
On August 13 2011 02:00 Lewan72 wrote:
Bigger breaks between MLGs would be helpful. Columbus and Anaheim were really kick-ass, having them too close together isn't good. That's why I'm worried about Raliegh.



On complete opposite coasts? I'm pretty sure they will be ok as long as they spread out the circuit stops. They came to Dallas earlier this year and I am already waiting for them to come back!
Sermokala
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
United States14211 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-08-12 17:04:08
August 12 2011 17:04 GMT
#13
On August 13 2011 01:58 Luckbox wrote:
MK9 is a really bad idea, it's already dead competitively, very few locals tournies are even running it and the only reason it got played was the money netherealm paid to get its own tournament and the money it paid to evo.

Should try and learn something from the CPLs failure at jerking around the FPS community to the "new" ( read PR money thrown at them ) game every year.


Thats factually incorrect. They had a 20k prize pool LAN at the beginning of the year and they've been rolling though all the EVO majors and then had the global finals at EVO las vegas.

http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=218210

Its actually a pretty wicked game and I think they're including it to gain some good will with the fgc so they can get SSFIV:AE and UMVC3 onto the tour at some point.
A wise man will say that he knows nothing. We're gona party like its 2752 Hail Dark Brandon
Ownos
Profile Joined July 2010
United States2147 Posts
August 12 2011 17:04 GMT
#14
On August 13 2011 01:55 Seohce wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 13 2011 01:48 Liquid`Jinro wrote:
I kinda enjoy there being an off-season, I hope they can incorporate that somehow (like, they have lots of games so just make it so each game has a 3-4 month off season... Can probably be accomplished with some clever overlap.


I agree, I enjoy having the first event of the season to look forward to during the off-season, and seeing how players and teams have prepared during that time. Talking from my experience of watching the Halo for a few years by the way, but it will be the same with Starcraft.

I almost think 44-50 weeks of competitive play sounds like too much (I know, it sounds crazy). But take the NASL for example, I pretty much gave up watching the games mid-season as there was just too many to watch and too much stuff to follow. I like how MLG is now, if anything I think they should only add one or two more pro circuit stops, and keep the off-season.

Saying all this though, any expansion is good for the game and esports in general. Can't wait to see the day when we have an MLG event in Europe!


Yeah, too much. I don't follow NASL that closely because it IS too much; I only really watched the playoffs. GSL too. I might occasionally drop in and watch a season or just the finals. Actually, this is true for me (and a lot of people) in real sports too haha.
...deeper and deeper into the bowels of El Diablo
r_con
Profile Blog Joined May 2011
United States824 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-08-12 17:05:02
August 12 2011 17:04 GMT
#15
does this mean we will get content kinda like gom

I have trouble watching content like NASL, there was just way to much content.

I think gomtv has it right, basically its the perfect league except that i cant watch it live because i have a job.

hopefully MLG does something similar, so that i can have regular content. I really like two big individual leagues. Kinda like the MSL and OSL.

I love a big "major" league. That one league that if you win, people respect you, regardless of how you got there. GSL is the only one right now that is like that, so hopefully MLG can make something similar.
Flash Fan!
carloselcoco
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
United States2302 Posts
August 12 2011 17:04 GMT
#16
Guys, there is already a thread about this: http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=253714
http://www.twitch.tv/carloselcoco/b/296431601 <------Suscribe! Casts in Spanish :) |||| http://www.twitch.tv/carloselcoco/b/300285215<----- CSL: Before Sunday! Episode 3!
zaii
Profile Joined October 2010
Guam2611 Posts
August 12 2011 17:14 GMT
#17
I wonder if they're planning to build some studios in South America as well.
DeltruS
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
Canada2214 Posts
August 12 2011 17:21 GMT
#18
On August 13 2011 01:48 Liquid`Jinro wrote:
I kinda enjoy there being an off-season, I hope they can incorporate that somehow (like, they have lots of games so just make it so each game has a 3-4 month off season... Can probably be accomplished with some clever overlap.


I agree. There is always MUCH more good play after an off season and I can't watch 10000 hours of SC a year.
http://grooveshark.com/#/deltrus/music
thehitman
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
1105 Posts
August 12 2011 17:22 GMT
#19
44 to 50 ? That sounds boring. I mean seriously its too much.

So pro gamers can't have any break and if they want to stay in pool play they need to work as slave labor?

This sucks. I mean Sundance has shown that he only cares about profits and not much else!

Anyone still remember the "if we sell 100.000 tickets I will increase the prize" line?

Dreamhack, IEM, IPL, ESL, etc... on the other hand have been very community and players centric.
udgnim
Profile Blog Joined April 2009
United States8024 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-08-12 17:25:01
August 12 2011 17:24 GMT
#20
On August 13 2011 02:22 thehitman wrote:
44 to 50 ? That sounds boring. I mean seriously its too much.

So pro gamers can't have any break and if they want to stay in pool play they need to work as slave labor?

This sucks. I mean Sundance has shown that he only cares about profits and not much else!

Anyone still remember the "if we sell 100.000 tickets I will increase the prize" line?

Dreamhack, IEM, IPL, ESL, etc... on the other hand have been very community and players centric.


MLG is backed by venture capitalist money

at some point Sundance has to show MLG investors that the MLG business model works and can make money otherwise investor money gets pulled and MLG either dies or reduces significantly in size
E-Sports is competitive video gaming with a spectator fan base. Do not take the word "Sports" literally.
1 2 3 4 5 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
OSC
07:15
Masters Cup #151 Group C
davetesta16
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
ProTech167
Nina 142
ViBE100
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 15003
Artosis 487
PianO 20
Sacsri 8
Dota 2
monkeys_forever339
NeuroSwarm101
canceldota100
League of Legends
Doublelift3445
Counter-Strike
Fnx 1142
minikerr12
Super Smash Bros
PPMD44
Other Games
summit1g6744
FrodaN1083
shahzam534
C9.Mang0356
RotterdaM81
Mew2King27
fpsfer 2
[ Show 15 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• StrangeGG 36
• RyuSc2 26
• Response 1
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• HerbMon 19
• niya90s 1
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Other Games
• imaqtpie1092
• Shiphtur598
Upcoming Events
Replay Cast
15m
OSC
1d
Big Brain Bouts
1d 11h
Rex vs INexorable
GgMaChine vs HeRoMaRinE
Reynor vs herO
AI Arena Tournament
1d 18h
BSL: Ladder Tournament
1d 20h
Sparkling Tuna Cup
2 days
Patches Events
2 days
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
WardiTV Weekly
4 days
[ Show More ]
PiGosaur Cup
5 days
The PondCast
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.