• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 09:32
CEST 15:32
KST 22:32
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Rollback Netcode in Brood War75.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202620Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
RSL 2026 Offline Finals LCQ Sign-Ups Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Rollback Netcode in Brood War Sagi.gg Launcher Released Fantasy returning? GG Lan Fest Sofia, Bulgaria [this November] ASL22 General Discussion
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 10838 users

Starcraft Patriotism! - Page 9

Forum Index > SC2 General
Post a Reply
Prev 1 7 8 9 10 11 Next All
AndyGB4
Profile Joined March 2011
Canada156 Posts
June 16 2011 13:49 GMT
#161
Well personally, when i just started getting into watching progaming in SC2, i didn't know much about the players. So when i heard about Huk, a canadian, in the GSL, i quickly became attached. (It also helped that he was a protoss, since that was my favorite race even in SC1.)

But as i kept watching more and more SC2, and getting to know all the different players, I started to also like other players from all around the world. Guys like oGsMC, Jinro, and many others.

I also find myself rooting more for certain teams, like i obviously cheer for Liquid, and oGs as well because of their connection with Liquid. Actually I'm curious, do you guys find yourselves cheering more for a certain team, then players from a country?

So in the end, if i was watching a game between two players i didnt know well, I would most probably root for the Canadian, but say if KiwiKaki was up against Jinro or something, i would cheer for Jinro because I feel more attached to team Liquid.

mustache
Profile Joined April 2010
Switzerland309 Posts
June 16 2011 14:00 GMT
#162
On June 16 2011 22:00 Bobster wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 16 2011 21:42 mustache wrote:
On June 16 2011 21:28 Bobster wrote:
On June 16 2011 13:28 wongisgreat wrote:
No one chooses where they're born so it's foolish to be proud of it.

Are you proud when your brother/sister/father/mother achieves something great?

But you didn't choose to be born into that family.


It's a natural thing to cheer for the things close to you, to be proud of the people close[r] to you.

For some people that only extends to themselves, for some to their family, their friends, their country, etc etc.


family members =/= random guy that you don't know out of the other 300 million citizens of a country, where "country" for this purpose is nothing but a bunch of squiggly lines on a map.surely you see the difference.

and even though you didnt ask me, no i wouldnt be proud, i would be happy.

That was exactly my point. Some people keep it close, some people cast the net of "people they feel a relation to" wider, up to the point of having the same hometown. Or coming from the same state. Or from the same county. Or from the same country. Or from the same continent - do you get what I'm saying?

There's all different kinds of people - and you telling them who they can and can not feel happy for, or proud of - that's what I'm objecting to.

Just as a sidenote: that you are not proud of your family members is something we don't share. I feel both a sense of happiness and pride for those close to me.


edit: the most important point of all is to keep this a positive emotion. It's always better to cheer for someone than against someone.


of course i get what you're saying, i see people spraying patriotism around every day, obviously it's something im aware of. I'm not objecting, I'm just saying it doesn't make much sense at all.

Actually I am objecting, since more often than not patriotism or being a fan of something in general will end up with you attacking different countries/teams etc more than supporting the country/team you're a fan of.
MHT
Profile Joined August 2010
Sweden1026 Posts
June 16 2011 14:01 GMT
#163
Think patriotism is perfectly fine, you cheer for your countrymen because you bond with them. In a way their like your family. But i also get why you would cheer for a single player because of their attitude, style or skill. Different people value different things, some countries may not have good players to cheer for so they naturally cheer for the players the like personally disregarding nationality.

They both make you feel happy when they win so why should any reason be bad?

Ofc being overly patriotic is bad when you start waving a flag in LR threads like someone mention earlier. But if you want new people to join the SC2 community you cant get people involved by going on about players skills. Since it doesn't matter to them, nationality however does.

Like i have experienced when i tried to get my friend into SC2, he didn't care much about anything micro/macro/style was just irrelevant. But i noticed he reacted on me mentioning how good Sweden was at it. That's what sparked his interest because now he had something to relate to, a reason to cheer and watch streams.
butchji
Profile Joined September 2009
Germany1531 Posts
June 16 2011 14:04 GMT
#164
I couldn't care less if some German guy wins some important tournament (unless I adore his actual play). In a game between DarKFoRcE and MajOr for example I'd root for MajOr just because I think he is the more entertaining player to spec. (Although DarKFoRcE is a hilariously funny guy °_°)
Klaus1986
Profile Joined April 2011
United States113 Posts
June 16 2011 14:07 GMT
#165
On June 16 2011 23:00 mustache wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 16 2011 22:00 Bobster wrote:
On June 16 2011 21:42 mustache wrote:
On June 16 2011 21:28 Bobster wrote:
On June 16 2011 13:28 wongisgreat wrote:
No one chooses where they're born so it's foolish to be proud of it.

Are you proud when your brother/sister/father/mother achieves something great?

But you didn't choose to be born into that family.


It's a natural thing to cheer for the things close to you, to be proud of the people close[r] to you.

For some people that only extends to themselves, for some to their family, their friends, their country, etc etc.


family members =/= random guy that you don't know out of the other 300 million citizens of a country, where "country" for this purpose is nothing but a bunch of squiggly lines on a map.surely you see the difference.

and even though you didnt ask me, no i wouldnt be proud, i would be happy.

That was exactly my point. Some people keep it close, some people cast the net of "people they feel a relation to" wider, up to the point of having the same hometown. Or coming from the same state. Or from the same county. Or from the same country. Or from the same continent - do you get what I'm saying?

There's all different kinds of people - and you telling them who they can and can not feel happy for, or proud of - that's what I'm objecting to.

Just as a sidenote: that you are not proud of your family members is something we don't share. I feel both a sense of happiness and pride for those close to me.


edit: the most important point of all is to keep this a positive emotion. It's always better to cheer for someone than against someone.


of course i get what you're saying, i see people spraying patriotism around every day, obviously it's something im aware of. I'm not objecting, I'm just saying it doesn't make much sense at all.

Actually I am objecting, since more often than not patriotism or being a fan of something in general will end up with you attacking different countries/teams etc more than supporting the country/team you're a fan of.

You do not know or understand the difference between patriotism and nationalism. Go back to school.
Zandar
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
Netherlands1541 Posts
June 16 2011 14:11 GMT
#166
If there's a bunch of vods to watch I always watch July first, since he's my favorite player. But if there are Ret and Grubby vods too they will be watched next
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man.
Kipsate
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
Netherlands45349 Posts
June 16 2011 14:13 GMT
#167
I am dutch and I support Ret, must mostly because he is a Teamliquid member rather then a fellow countrymen, Grubby I loved in his WCIII days but he has no results in SC2 and his play is not that impressive.

Also I am asian

So Asian>>>>All.
WriterXiao8~~
antilyon
Profile Blog Joined February 2011
Brazil2546 Posts
June 16 2011 14:16 GMT
#168
Maybe it's because there's no real active scene in Brazil, and aince 2008 I watch BW, but i don't really have any kind of patriotism on SC, maybe a little bit of foreigners vs koreans, but i'm always more interested in backgrounds and playstyles.
valaki
Profile Joined June 2009
Hungary2476 Posts
June 16 2011 14:20 GMT
#169
I'm from hungary, and the hungarian sc2 scene is just awful. In sc1 we had sziky and ace at least.
ggaemo fan
Crashburn
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
United States476 Posts
June 16 2011 14:59 GMT
#170
I don't care where a player is from. I don't root for players based on anything arbitrary like that.

If a player is skilled, innovative, funny, engaging, etc., they are easy to root for. No need to bring nationality into the picture, IMO.
Junichi
Profile Joined January 2011
Germany1056 Posts
June 16 2011 15:03 GMT
#171
On June 16 2011 23:04 butchji wrote:
I couldn't care less if some German guy wins some important tournament (unless I adore his actual play). In a game between DarKFoRcE and MajOr for example I'd root for MajOr just because I think he is the more entertaining player to spec. (Although DarKFoRcE is a hilariously funny guy °_°)


Srsly man.. Darkforce (Trollforce ) is awesome!! :D

No but you got the right idea I think. I don't care much about where a player comes from, more about their personality and mostly of course how they play...



Give a SC2 fan a BitByBitPrime and he is entertained for 5 minutes, give him an IdrA and he is entertained for a lifetime.
"Until the very, very top, in almost anything all that matters, is how much work you put in. The only problem is that most people can't work hard even at things they do enjoy, much less things they don't have a real passion for." - Greg "IdrA" Fields
FeyFey
Profile Joined September 2010
Germany10114 Posts
June 16 2011 15:09 GMT
#172
i loved mondragon before i knew he was german x3 . esports is more international thats why people are more scattered in who they like. Korea is a lil exception, as they are the center of esports so to say, but more secluded from the rest of the world (hundreds of reasons ! one is probably because of their training elitism, so they are mostly on top).

The biggest issue is probably the region barrier, internet just doesn't run smoothly on the globe, its getting better, but there are still some regiosn just have a terrible lag to each other. making nationswars a bit hard.
Canada vs us no, europe vs each other np. But US/canada vs europe will be won by lag probably
archangel2
Profile Joined March 2011
76 Posts
June 16 2011 15:17 GMT
#173
On June 16 2011 13:23 MechKing wrote:
I support Terrans regardless of nationality.


I only support Terrans from the Koprulu Sector.
ComaDose
Profile Blog Joined December 2009
Canada10357 Posts
June 16 2011 15:29 GMT
#174
I am canadian and protoss so its easy for me to cheer for kiwi huk and tt1.
But i still love mc and a bunch of koreans for being the best.
koreans are the best.
Im patriotic but also... starcraftiotic.
Just love the game and make it fun to cheer for people.
BW pros training sc2 is like kiss making a dub step album.
Batch
Profile Joined May 2010
Sweden692 Posts
June 16 2011 15:34 GMT
#175
In most cases this is how I work...
Swede vs Non-Swede => Go Swede!
Korean vs Foreigner => Go Foreigner!
European vs American => Go European!

All types of competitions are more fun to watch if you cheer for someone. Everyone is a part of at least one nation and this makes nations easy to fall back on when deciding who to cheer for.
lurked
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
Canada918 Posts
June 16 2011 15:37 GMT
#176
Well, I sure do root for Kiwikaki and Slush, but that's not because they're canadian, that's because they're amazing players with creative styles

I also love adelscott even though he's from France...

Well, maybe I simply tend to root for people who speak french... I don't know, but anyway, even though I know that Koreans are sick StarCraft beasts, I usually root for the foreigners when it's Korean vs Foreigner.
Magic is "just" magic until I get my hands on the source code.
QTIP.
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
United States2113 Posts
June 16 2011 18:31 GMT
#177
On June 16 2011 13:06 AustinCM wrote:
Haha no I didn't, but thinking about myself I'm not that patriotic. Mostly because the best Canadians are Protoss and I hate Protoss and also IdrA is baller status.


To be fair, when a country's representative such as Idra makes comments like "zerg isn't meant to beat protoss." and doesn't GG the emperor who is indirectly responsible for his successful career, sometimes you want other players to stomp him and simply shut him up.

That being said, I am Half Korean / Half Japanese while being raised in the US and China, so I have no real patriotism. I do feel proud when I see a Korean do well, but its not to the degree that I would call it patriotic. I am primarily a fan of play-styles over nationalities. I think most will say the same.
"Trash Micro but Win. Its Marin." - Min Chul
willoc
Profile Joined February 2011
Canada1530 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-06-16 18:45:24
June 16 2011 18:44 GMT
#178
If there were more players per nationality and then there was a 'world' type tournament where only the best player from each nationality made it in then you would see more patriotic enthusiasm. Right now it seems like attitude/play-style/achievements/sc-race/team are the major determining factors to who you root for.

I'm originally from Poland but I don't follow the 2-3 players that are doing well in the scene right now. I do, however, like to see them have success. I've been living in Canada most of my life and I do root for Huk however I would probably be rooting for him even if he wasn't representing Canada due to his 'ceremonies' after GSL games and creative toss play.
Be bold and mighty forces will come to your aid!
Gangr3l
Profile Joined September 2010
Finland27 Posts
June 16 2011 18:47 GMT
#179
I'm from Finland and I mostly root for Swedish players (even thou we are in a deep hate relationship in everything else). Of course if Naama is playing then I root for Naama, but mostly Swedish players. Some neighbor love for the e-sports scene!
Arc1
Profile Joined December 2010
Poland849 Posts
June 16 2011 18:51 GMT
#180
I'm cheering for players, I don't care from where they are..
Nothing to add.
Prev 1 7 8 9 10 11 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 9h 28m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
LamboSC2 359
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 35728
Calm 7660
Rain 1858
Bisu 1791
Jaedong 1179
Horang2 689
FanTaSy 685
BeSt 558
Larva 485
Soma 431
[ Show more ]
Light 363
Rush 301
Stork 269
ZerO 242
Snow 233
Zeus 162
Barracks 136
Free 124
Mind 99
910 98
Killer 68
Mong 63
Sea.KH 50
Pusan 47
Hyun 45
ToSsGirL 41
Shinee 38
NaDa 34
Aegong 24
Terrorterran 21
Sexy 18
Hm[arnc] 15
sorry 14
Rock 10
Noble 9
Sacsri 8
Icarus 3
Dota 2
Gorgc7999
XaKoH 243
Counter-Strike
fl0m3081
olofmeister886
Other Games
gofns30870
singsing2177
B2W.Neo813
hiko355
Lowko329
crisheroes289
Mlord187
Hui .130
Livibee105
RotterdaM104
djWHEAT86
Mew2King77
QueenE33
ZerO(Twitch)10
Organizations
StarCraft: Brood War
lovetv 9
[ Show 13 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• FirePhoenix13
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Nemesis3928
• Jankos2555
• TFBlade610
Other Games
• WagamamaTV195
Upcoming Events
OSC
9h 28m
Big Brain Bouts
20h 28m
Rex vs INexorable
GgMaChine vs HeRoMaRinE
Reynor vs herO
AI Arena Tournament
1d 3h
BSL: Ladder Tournament
1d 5h
Sparkling Tuna Cup
1d 20h
Patches Events
2 days
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
WardiTV Weekly
3 days
PiGosaur Cup
4 days
[ Show More ]
The PondCast
5 days
Online Event
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-10-08
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.