• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 02:57
CEST 08:57
KST 15:57
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202615Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
RSL 2026 Offline Finals LCQ Sign-Ups Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Sagi.gg Launcher Released Fantasy returning? BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ BW General Discussion GG Lan Fest Sofia, Bulgaria [this November]
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9677 users

Starcraft Patriotism! - Page 10

Forum Index > SC2 General
Post a Reply
Prev 1 8 9 10 11 Next All
_ING
Profile Joined April 2011
United States18 Posts
June 16 2011 18:55 GMT
#181
U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!

That being said, I cheer for players whose play style I like, not their country of origin. For example, I'm a big fan of Grubby, for his charisma and his WC3 legend. I'm also a HuK fan, who btw was raised in Florida and wants to move to California (take that Canada :D, jkjk).
Qaatar
Profile Joined January 2011
1409 Posts
June 16 2011 19:03 GMT
#182
On June 16 2011 21:25 Bobster wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 16 2011 13:03 AustinCM wrote:
Now lately I have noticed that no matter where you're from everyone loves the Korean Starcraft players. it is because of their tremendous skill and root in Starcraft and also how dedicated they are and I really commend them for this.

But, it seems that not too many people are actually that patriotic about their own countrie's players. Personally I am thrilled everytime a Canadian player gets the win over some other big name, like KiWi or HuK but it doesn't seem this way for everyone. I am a huge huge huge IdrA fan and also really like NesTea but I was wondering why people don't root for their own country as much as they root for the Korean to win no matter what match it is or where it is. Instead of many Americans being really happy that IdrA was the only contender against Koreans they chose to be negative about it and put the Koreans on a pedestal instead.

Maybe I get the wrong idea but what do you guys think? Do you think a lot of eSports fans are patriotic?

Many of the long time members of this community are so used to there being Korean pro players... and not much else, so strongly focused on the Korean scene... and not much else, that they not only put the Koreans on a pedestal, but some people honestly are deifying these guys. A word against a Korean player is like blasphemy to those tools.


...and there are plenty of reactionary tools who go overboard in the other direction. I don't think I need to point out the myriad of fools who cry "OMG KOREAN ELITISM" while almost exclusively glorifying players from their own region/nation.

I agree wholeheartedly with your first point. For example, I'm Chinese, grew up in China, had half of my primary/secondary schooling in the States, and consider myself relatively patriotic when it comes to my homeland; but, I grew up watching BW, so I almost exclusively root for Koreans, even against other Chinese players. Like in the Starswar tournament, I found myself rooting for the Koreans against the Chinese almost every time until XiaOt against MC, where I only rooted for XiaOt because of my distaste for MC.
MrDonkeyBong
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
Canada103 Posts
June 16 2011 19:20 GMT
#183
I'm Canadian as well, and I always root for HuK and kiwi, no matter who they're playing
"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe." -- Carl Sagan
Mateo0
Profile Joined August 2010
France112 Posts
June 16 2011 19:26 GMT
#184
I always root for my french fellows =)

I was a huge fan of TOD in war3!

(GO MOMAN AT NASL xD)
m4553 always in my heart.
BushidoSnipr
Profile Joined November 2010
United States910 Posts
June 16 2011 19:28 GMT
#185
The Italian and American scene kinda sucks. Although i do cheer for Cloud when i can!
SigmaoctanusIV
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States3313 Posts
June 16 2011 19:34 GMT
#186
I love Foreigners and my favorite is Tyler... The American Hero!!! Son of an Eagle and George Washington NonY streams across the land owning all :D
I am Godzilla You are Japan
fire_brand
Profile Blog Joined October 2009
Canada1123 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-06-16 20:14:45
June 16 2011 20:06 GMT
#187
I'm straight up Canadian, but there's really no Canadian players I'm especially fond of. I have a special place in my heart for IeftNaij if he ever gets good again, but beyond that not so much. Most of my favorite players are Korean, American or Swedish.

I do however always feel a good bit of pride when I see Canadians in the SC2 community doing the Yeoman's work of a Chill and Kennigit. Also when Canadians win I definitely feel some secret subconscious pride, like when Slush did so well this MLG.

EDIT: I feel most proud when I see a random player. GuineaPig and TLO are two of my top ProGamer crushes. When its GP vs anyone I'm cheering for him. TLO less now that he switched to Terran, but I still cheer for him. Too bad about his wrists D = I think there's more "racism" than anything else in SC2. Zergs like to cheer for Zergs, Toss for toss, and terrans for Terrans. Random's are so rare that I always go gah gah when I see them. It's too bad GuMiOh switched to Terran : X
Random player, pixel enthusiast, crappy illustrator, offlane/support
Holcan
Profile Joined April 2010
Canada2593 Posts
June 16 2011 20:08 GMT
#188
National Pride is the first step to racism, you should be proud of someones work ethic/personality, not of where they happened to be born.
Reference The Inadvertant Joey, Strong talented orchastrasted intelligent character.
Sinborn
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
United States275 Posts
June 16 2011 20:09 GMT
#189
I live in the country of Foreign as far as I can tell.
PH
Profile Blog Joined June 2008
United States6173 Posts
June 16 2011 20:19 GMT
#190
I don't like most American players. I like Nony...and that's about it.
Hello
dubRa
Profile Joined December 2008
2165 Posts
June 16 2011 20:20 GMT
#191
Sadly I can't root for my county in Starcraft because there are no Hungarian pros. So I have a bit of a Eastern European bias instead Dimaga, Nerchio, Strelok, Kas, Nightend, White-Ra fighting!

Oh and EU>KR>US

But I don't take this too seriously. I also like Major, Huk, MMA
Dyme
Profile Joined November 2010
Germany523 Posts
June 16 2011 20:29 GMT
#192
I am not patriotic at all, because it is stupid. Nationalism is totally last millenium. When will we finally get over it. It is more annoying than religion.

That said,
TLO is the most wonderful human being on our planet. InControl said "people are acting like he invented the nuke, hahaha" and then TLO nuked him at MLG. Pure entertainment.
Goody is funny because everyone says "he always goes mech" and then he goes mech and wins. Funny!
Mondragon countering air with roaches? Yay!
But I like them disregarding their nationality.

Socke and HasuObs are Protoss, therefore I am always against them.

I really don't see how nationalism can even have any place in our globalized internetsy world.

And why does everyone like Koreans so much? Because Koreans own white dudes. And they invented E-SPORTS (kind of).
chenchen
Profile Joined November 2010
United States1136 Posts
June 16 2011 20:33 GMT
#193
I always cheer when Koreans own white dudes, despite not being Korean.

I just really dislike 99% of non-Asian players' attitudes. They seem very unprofessional and overall very silly.
powerade = dragoon blood
CPTBadAss
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States594 Posts
June 16 2011 20:55 GMT
#194
I just love me the NA teams. I'm still teary about the ROOT boys breaking up, but at least coL is half American =). And the guys in EG are awesome too. I mean I like individual players but I'm always on the look out for the red, white, and blue next to the player names.
I'll keep on struggling, 'cause that's the measure of a man | "That was the plan: To give him some hope, and then crush him" -Stephano
Euronyme
Profile Joined August 2010
Sweden3804 Posts
June 16 2011 22:34 GMT
#195
On June 17 2011 05:55 CPTBadAss wrote:
I just love me the NA teams. I'm still teary about the ROOT boys breaking up, but at least coL is half American =). And the guys in EG are awesome too. I mean I like individual players but I'm always on the look out for the red, white, and blue next to the player names.


You want them French, Dutch or Russian? =)
The french flag is even called blue white red ^^
I bet i can maı̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̨̨̨̨̨̨ke you wipe your screen.
Chicane
Profile Joined November 2010
United States7875 Posts
June 16 2011 22:41 GMT
#196
On June 16 2011 13:03 AustinCM wrote:
Now lately I have noticed that no matter where you're from everyone loves the Korean Starcraft players. it is because of their tremendous skill and root in Starcraft and also how dedicated they are and I really commend them for this.

But, it seems that not too many people are actually that patriotic about their own countrie's players. Personally I am thrilled everytime a Canadian player gets the win over some other big name, like KiWi or HuK but it doesn't seem this way for everyone. I am a huge huge huge IdrA fan and also really like NesTea but I was wondering why people don't root for their own country as much as they root for the Korean to win no matter what match it is or where it is. Instead of many Americans being really happy that IdrA was the only contender against Koreans they chose to be negative about it and put the Koreans on a pedestal instead.

Maybe I get the wrong idea but what do you guys think? Do you think a lot of eSports fans are patriotic?


I'm not sure if you are just joking... because it is the exact opposite on this site from what I see.

Many Swedes are always looking for excuses to say how much better their players are relative to their population. Many Europeans brag that EU > NA (which I agree with, but I hate having to read it OVER and OVER when its not even relevant). Many NA players will say how IdrA is the best player and defend him to the grave... or bring up NA players that are better than many EU players... etc.

There is plenty of "patriotism" which personally I find ridiculous. I understand the inclination to cheer for someone that is from your country, but too many times the braggers themselves become too prideful and seem to talk down on others.

Personally I go by personality and gameplay. My favorite player is from EU and I enjoy many players from all the regions. I don't go by the fact that I was born in the same general area as someone else... how is that relevant to starcraft 2? Again, I think it is fine if people do it, but personally it gets annoying when the other people seem to have far too much pride and just talk down on others because of it.
TheFavorite1
Profile Joined July 2010
United States27 Posts
June 17 2011 01:13 GMT
#197
On June 16 2011 13:03 AustinCM wrote:
Now lately I have noticed that no matter where you're from everyone loves the Korean Starcraft players. it is because of their tremendous skill and root in Starcraft and also how dedicated they are and I really commend them for this.

But, it seems that not too many people are actually that patriotic about their own countrie's players. Personally I am thrilled everytime a Canadian player gets the win over some other big name, like KiWi or HuK but it doesn't seem this way for everyone. I am a huge huge huge IdrA fan and also really like NesTea but I was wondering why people don't root for their own country as much as they root for the Korean to win no matter what match it is or where it is. Instead of many Americans being really happy that IdrA was the only contender against Koreans they chose to be negative about it and put the Koreans on a pedestal instead.

Maybe I get the wrong idea but what do you guys think? Do you think a lot of eSports fans are patriotic?


I don't favor one nationality over another. I prefer to root for the players themselves (esp zerg). Just cause CombatEX is American doesn't mean I'd rather him beat Fruitdealer. People like TLO and Sheth that do things for charity are those I enjoy seeing win. Sure its nice to see that Koreans dont completely dominate the entire world but it doesnt effect my preferences.

Also its kind of annoying how Koreans have some advantages over non-Koreans in many competitions. I dont recall which interview exactly but idra stated how its easier and less costly for them to enter American tournaments like MLG than it is for Americans to participate at korean venues.
borny
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
China481 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-06-17 01:47:05
June 17 2011 01:42 GMT
#198
Let me tell you all something about Swedish patriotism.

Within Sweden, calling yourself a patriot makes you a racist.
Within Sweden, having a Swedish flag on your clothes, in your room, or soforth, makes you a racist
Within Sweden, playing the national anthem, makes you a racist.
Within Sweden, even mentioning the words "patriot, nationalist etc" is tabu.

I am Swedish by birth and I am extremely suprised by the Swedish patriots here on TL and hltv.org. It is just so uncommon as a Swede to see fellow countrymen being proud of Sweden. Normally, this is not OK. Perhaps it is because they can use the Internet as an outlet for their patriot feelings since it is impossible to do so within Sweden. For example, when I lived in America I had to say the Pledge of Allegiance every morning in school (while having my right hand on my heart, starring at the American flag). This behavior would be soooo not-okay in Sweden. There have even been discussions about removing the Swedish national anthem from graduations and other school event as it is perceived as hostile by foreigners/immigrants.Any Swede on here will agree with me.

That said. Sometimes I feel embarrassed by the Swedish TL:ers. Being proud of Swedish players and cheer for them is OK, but doing retarded stuff such as posting the Swedish flag etc is just lame.
Naniwa . July . Morrow . ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Go STARTALE!
Rasky
Profile Joined July 2010
United States406 Posts
June 17 2011 01:49 GMT
#199
Canadian here I support all Canadian Brotoss Huk, Kiwikaki and TT1.
Antego
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
Canada38 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-06-17 02:34:41
June 17 2011 02:30 GMT
#200
Patriotism is clearly a bias when in comes to judge who is the best at something. In my humble opinion the word "patriotism" sounds more pejorative that anything else.

On June 17 2011 10:42 borny wrote:
Let me tell you all something about Swedish patriotism.

Within Sweden, calling yourself a patriot makes you a racist.
Within Sweden, having a Swedish flag on your clothes, in your room, or soforth, makes you a racist
Within Sweden, playing the national anthem, makes you a racist.
Within Sweden, even mentioning the words "patriot, nationalist etc" is tabu.

I am Swedish by birth and I am extremely suprised by the Swedish patriots here on TL and hltv.org. It is just so uncommon as a Swede to see fellow countrymen being proud of Sweden. Normally, this is not OK. Perhaps it is because they can use the Internet as an outlet for their patriot feelings since it is impossible to do so within Sweden. For example, when I lived in America I had to say the Pledge of Allegiance every morning in school (while having my right hand on my heart, starring at the American flag). This behavior would be soooo not-okay in Sweden. There have even been discussions about removing the Swedish national anthem from graduations and other school event as it is perceived as hostile by foreigners/immigrants.Any Swede on here will agree with me.

That said. Sometimes I feel embarrassed by the Swedish TL:ers. Being proud of Swedish players and cheer for them is OK, but doing retarded stuff such as posting the Swedish flag etc is just lame.


I agree, It is pretty close to racism.
Prev 1 8 9 10 11 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 16h 4m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft: Brood War
Rain 4082
Mong 84
ToSsGirL 71
sorry 51
Noble 9
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King173
Other Games
summit1g8070
WinterStarcraft604
ceh9404
Happy203
Sick157
[ Show 12 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• StrangeGG 39
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2283
League of Legends
• Stunt429
Other Games
• Shiphtur561
Upcoming Events
OSC
16h 4m
Big Brain Bouts
1d 3h
Rex vs INexorable
GgMaChine vs HeRoMaRinE
Reynor vs herO
AI Arena Tournament
1d 10h
BSL: Ladder Tournament
1d 12h
Sparkling Tuna Cup
2 days
Patches Events
2 days
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
WardiTV Weekly
4 days
PiGosaur Cup
4 days
[ Show More ]
The PondCast
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.