• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 08:22
CEST 14:22
KST 21:22
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)41Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Fantasy returning? BW General Discussion ASL22 General Discussion Bot on ladder a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine All you football fans (soccer)! Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9700 users

Queen Inject Using Camera Hotkeys

Forum Index > SC2 General
Post a Reply
Normal
jordanshadow
Profile Joined September 2010
7 Posts
January 24 2011 06:22 GMT
#1
I thought i would share my method of larvae inject as I have not seen it posted this way yet. I use a universal hotkey for all queens. I have added w as an alternative to larvae inject. I have changed 5-8 to store camera position hotkeys as opposed to unit hotkeys. To inject i press 3w5 click 6w click 7w click.

Advantages:
1. can easily cycle throught bases to see if its time to inject.
2. queens do not have to be syncronized.
3. less actions then 55v click 66v click 77v click
4. do not have to skip past hatcheries without queens (backspace method).

Disadvantages:
1. not as fast as backspace method
2. less control of individual queens

Hope this helps someone.

Xapti
Profile Joined April 2010
Canada2473 Posts
January 24 2011 06:25 GMT
#2
I think it's a nice option as long as you know which location is where (which one would), since if one inject is already done, you don't need to go to it - the minor problem I get all the time using backspace is that 1-3 hatches could already be injected, and i'll need to hit Backspace that many extra times. No biggie for me though
"Then he told me to tell you that he wouldn't piss on you if you were on fire" — "Well, you tell him that I said that I wouldn't piss on him if he was on Jeopardy!"
ChefStarCraft
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
Canada350 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-02-24 00:26:12
February 24 2011 00:11 GMT
#3
I have done something along that lines, but i changed backspace to w like you, i changed v (inject) to e, so its very easy to shift e and tap w to cycle and inject with all the queens on shift command. My queens are hot keyed to 4 so its very nice. My creep spreading queens on 5 and hatcheries on 3. I have also given select larva a alternate hot key, its now s and d.

I'm sure this will help many of people. Its very organized and i spent many of hours practicing different layouts. Everyone uses what works for them i cant play with something not comfortable to me.

On January 24 2011 15:25 Xapti wrote:
I think it's a nice option as long as you know which location is where (which one would), since if one inject is already done, you don't need to go to it - the minor problem I get all the time using backspace is that 1-3 hatches could already be injected, and i'll need to hit Backspace that many extra times. No biggie for me though



Thats true, it could be faster given that reason, but considering its not backspace its w, it shaves allot of time off rather then double tapping keys. I have all my injects timed so there at the same time. I also spread creep right after i inject every time. This helps improve my habit.

Creep is what every zerg should want to have allot of. I have tried every inject style unless someone just came out with one, i find this one i use now the most time saving. There is no right or wrong, just what we find works better for us.

Many pros spread creep that way and have timers in there head (Ret to name one (its not uncommon to inject all at once, In fact its common. Its a good way to learn not to miss injects)). Doing everything at once and having a organized step process will only help improve your overall macro and muscle memory.


To solve the queen meltdowns when cycling hatches i just press s. and continue to the next cycle. I always have a eye on the map so if i see a queen miss step, or no queen is near the next cycled hatch i know that i mistakenly clicked on a hatch without a queen beside it. If watched it becomes second nature and queen melt downs don't become a problem really at all.

This is just my theory, that has worked for me.

I hope this can prove helpful.

- Chef, NA Server
Why don't we see who is the wizard and play some one on one, I think you'll find me sympathetic to ya when I've won, It seems you've got the brawn to beat me if this was all it takes, But I've got skills to pay the bills and punish each of your mistakes.
KahunaNui
Profile Joined October 2010
Spain257 Posts
February 24 2011 00:50 GMT
#4
So you only use 123490 for buildings/units? If you have 3 or more hatcheries don't you have too few hotkeys for banelings, mutas, etc.? Just curious.
Q. You've been criticized for using cheesy builds in the past, but now people are saying that you've played some good games today. A. I'm glad that they think that way, but that won't stop me from using cheesy builds.(oGsHyperdub)
Crackensan
Profile Joined August 2010
United States479 Posts
February 24 2011 00:55 GMT
#5
I rebound my camrea to base/hatchery key to a mouse button. i tap 4 (my queens), camera to hatch button, v click, camera to hatch button, click.

Over and over again. It's actually REALLY fast when you get used to it.

I use the MX518 from Logitec. any mouse with a thumb button though will work with this.

To clarify:

Tap 4, Mb5, v click, mb5, click, mb5, click....
Tasteless: "Well this strategy is made of balls"--Concerning Fruitdealer Vs. BoXeR
asdfjh
Profile Joined August 2010
Canada230 Posts
February 24 2011 00:57 GMT
#6
I think this has the same effect as the backspace method earlier on. But in the lategame, when you have more hatcheries than queens, this does seem like a efficient way to inject.
ChefStarCraft
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
Canada350 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-02-24 01:03:04
February 24 2011 00:58 GMT
#7
I use ` as hot key group 0, so i gave ` 1 2 for units, ` is normally my harassment units, 2 army, 3 infestor or banelings upgrades are 6 or 7. r is melee, t is range, y is armor on evo.(depending on if i have infestors are not, i will hot key banelings to 6)

I don't shift inject until i get my macro hatch up early game. I Like to get a macro hatch before my third most of the time. So i will start to shift inject when i get 3-4 hatcheries. Until then i just tap 4 (queens) w (center hatchery) and e (inject)
Why don't we see who is the wizard and play some one on one, I think you'll find me sympathetic to ya when I've won, It seems you've got the brawn to beat me if this was all it takes, But I've got skills to pay the bills and punish each of your mistakes.
Crackensan
Profile Joined August 2010
United States479 Posts
February 24 2011 00:59 GMT
#8
@asdfjh: yeah, it's the backspace method, but instead of backspace it's, for me, mouse button five, which is my right thumb on my mouse hand.

It's done very very fast. The fun part is once all your injects are synced, you can tap mb5 and check your injects, then go back to whatever the hell else you were doing.

Also, since your using both hands, you take strain off your left hand to do other stuff as well.
Tasteless: "Well this strategy is made of balls"--Concerning Fruitdealer Vs. BoXeR
HeadDesk
Profile Joined September 2010
United States171 Posts
February 24 2011 01:04 GMT
#9
On February 24 2011 09:50 KahunaNui wrote:
So you only use 123490 for buildings/units? If you have 3 or more hatcheries don't you have too few hotkeys for banelings, mutas, etc.? Just curious.


I imagine all hatcheries are on the same hotkey as well.
ChefStarCraft
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
Canada350 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-02-24 01:09:04
February 24 2011 01:07 GMT
#10
On February 24 2011 09:59 Crackensan wrote:
@asdfjh: yeah, it's the backspace method, but instead of backspace it's, for me, mouse button five, which is my right thumb on my mouse hand.

It's done very very fast. The fun part is once all your injects are synced, you can tap mb5 and check your injects, then go back to whatever the hell else you were doing.

Also, since your using both hands, you take strain off your left hand to do other stuff as well.



I have given the f7 and f8 keys to my mouse back button and forward button so when i go to spread creep after the injects i can just tap 5 and center to the creep tumors, Alternate creep tumor button is r and c is still the main hot key.

I feel its a more, smoother button process, because its difficult to keep pressing the mouse button and left click at the same time, this is how i find it works for me though.

Also it frees up 2 map hot keys to spread creep faster.


On February 24 2011 10:04 HeadDesk wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 24 2011 09:50 KahunaNui wrote:
So you only use 123490 for buildings/units? If you have 3 or more hatcheries don't you have too few hotkeys for banelings, mutas, etc.? Just curious.


I imagine all hatcheries are on the same hotkey as well.



Yes in my first post in the first paragraph i said all my hatcheries are hot keyed to 3
Why don't we see who is the wizard and play some one on one, I think you'll find me sympathetic to ya when I've won, It seems you've got the brawn to beat me if this was all it takes, But I've got skills to pay the bills and punish each of your mistakes.
synapse
Profile Blog Joined January 2009
China13814 Posts
February 24 2011 01:22 GMT
#11
What's wrong with just doing this with F5~F8? They're even sectioned off from the rest of the F# hotkeys.
:)
ChefStarCraft
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
Canada350 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-02-24 01:28:31
February 24 2011 01:25 GMT
#12
On February 24 2011 10:22 synapse wrote:
What's wrong with just doing this with F5~F8? They're even sectioned off from the rest of the F# hotkeys.


Nothing is wrong with it, I feel in my play its just in a inconvenient spot. I changed f5 - f8 to f1 - f4

With idle work as my scroll button on the mouse.

I don't know if you realize this but I'm not just changing the go to hot key, I'm also changing the make control group/spot hot key. So if it was shift + f5 to create and 5 to view, it is now shift+ mouse button, and mouse button to view.
Why don't we see who is the wizard and play some one on one, I think you'll find me sympathetic to ya when I've won, It seems you've got the brawn to beat me if this was all it takes, But I've got skills to pay the bills and punish each of your mistakes.
Crackensan
Profile Joined August 2010
United States479 Posts
February 24 2011 01:27 GMT
#13
.... Idle worker to scroll button on mouse.

That is genius.

This is why I come here, thank you!
Tasteless: "Well this strategy is made of balls"--Concerning Fruitdealer Vs. BoXeR
ChefStarCraft
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
Canada350 Posts
February 24 2011 01:31 GMT
#14
On February 24 2011 10:27 Crackensan wrote:
.... Idle worker to scroll button on mouse.

That is genius.

This is why I come here, thank you!


I know it makes it a hell of allot easier to mass expand as zerg.

its no problem, i spent allot of time adjusting and trying out new ideas, it takes practice but can be well worth it.

Every change was well thought out, I am very happy to share my findings and hard work with all the other zergs in these dark times.
Why don't we see who is the wizard and play some one on one, I think you'll find me sympathetic to ya when I've won, It seems you've got the brawn to beat me if this was all it takes, But I've got skills to pay the bills and punish each of your mistakes.
RaiZ
Profile Blog Joined April 2003
2813 Posts
February 24 2011 01:42 GMT
#15
1. Shift + f1 f2 f3 f4 for saving camera locations.
2. Shift + 1 2 3 4 for reminder.
3. Hotkey 6 = all queens
4. Type 6 then v then shift and hold it
5. Type 1 then left click and repeat untill all ur hatches are injected.
6. ???
7. Profit.

I really hate the backspace method because of 2 things : If you have more hatches than queens, some of them can travel accross the whole map just to do an inject, and you have less control over the bases.
You can always save the others hotkeys for single queens or hatches in case you want to get on this particular base but meh, better use the camera locations.

This is my method. Helps a lot when you have 3+ bases and could save you 3 seconds for sure.
Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth. Oscar Wilde
ChefStarCraft
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
Canada350 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-02-24 01:56:23
February 24 2011 01:46 GMT
#16
On February 24 2011 10:42 RaiZ wrote:
1. Shift + f1 f2 f3 f4 for saving camera locations.
2. Shift + 1 2 3 4 for reminder.
3. Hotkey 6 = all queens
4. Type 6 then v then shift and hold it
5. Type 1 then left click and repeat untill all ur hatches are injected.
6. ???
7. Profit.

I really hate the backspace method because of 2 things : If you have more hatches than queens, some of them can travel accross the whole map just to do an inject, and you have less control over the bases.
You can always save the others hotkeys for single queens or hatches in case you want to get on this particular base but meh, better use the camera locations.

This is my method. Helps a lot when you have 3+ bases and could save you 3 seconds for sure.


that is a good idea, but i find the shift + number command to important when cycling hatcheries. I Use it very often to add to the queens control group and hatcheries control group


From a earlier post further up i said this is how i deal with the Queens running all over the map:


To solve the queen meltdowns when cycling hatches i just tap queens hot key and press s. and continue to the next cycle. I always have a eye on the map so if i see a queen miss step, or no queen is near the next cycled hatch i know that i mistakenly clicked on a hatch without a queen beside it. If watched it becomes second nature and queen melt downs don't become a problem really at all.

I also, have gotten good at spotting a queen really fast while cycling, you have to slow down for a little bit and get used to it, i don't spam w and click. There is a pattern in the cycles it will cycle the hatcheries in the order they we're put up.

So if you are able to remember how many hatcheries you just put up or lost a queen on which hatch.
To approach this, i mentally give every hatch a number, and w click that amount of times. It is very fast once you get used to it. After all why spam anything if its going to make you miss click and can easily be a game losing mistake in an important situation ?
Why don't we see who is the wizard and play some one on one, I think you'll find me sympathetic to ya when I've won, It seems you've got the brawn to beat me if this was all it takes, But I've got skills to pay the bills and punish each of your mistakes.
Fa1nT
Profile Joined September 2010
United States3423 Posts
February 24 2011 01:59 GMT
#17
For people who do not use the 5 queen, 6 queen, 7 queen, etc method.... how the hell do you micro your queens when hellions/reapers/banshee/void rays/etc come?

You manually go to each hatchery, grab each queen, fight with them in a ball, then send them all back? :/
ChefStarCraft
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
Canada350 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-02-24 02:07:07
February 24 2011 02:05 GMT
#18
On February 24 2011 10:59 Fa1nT wrote:
For people who do not use the 5 queen, 6 queen, 7 queen, etc method.... how the hell do you micro your queens when hellions/reapers/banshee/void rays/etc come?

You manually go to each hatchery, grab each queen, fight with them in a ball, then send them all back? :/



i would use w to center the hatcheries, i would have 3 queens up in almost every situation considering all those harassments come when your on 2 bases,

I always have my queens all hot keyed to 4 so i simply just need to hit 4. to deal with it

You don't need to micro a single unit per hot key to be successful at micro.

if there all binned to one hot key you can simply pull away the weaker queen, and or transfuse.

After the engagement i will send all the queens to one hatch shift click a queen away in the group and send them to the next and repeat until there all assigned to there hatch again.
Why don't we see who is the wizard and play some one on one, I think you'll find me sympathetic to ya when I've won, It seems you've got the brawn to beat me if this was all it takes, But I've got skills to pay the bills and punish each of your mistakes.
pAnic677
Profile Joined February 2011
Portugal26 Posts
February 24 2011 02:08 GMT
#19
On February 24 2011 10:59 Fa1nT wrote:
For people who do not use the 5 queen, 6 queen, 7 queen, etc method.... how the hell do you micro your queens when hellions/reapers/banshee/void rays/etc come?

You manually go to each hatchery, grab each queen, fight with them in a ball, then send them all back? :/



yea... what i do is hit space bar and then move it that way... thats only if im not watching my mini map usually with good spread i can see all this.

im trying the shift+1=5
shift+2=6

im trying to put all my queens on different hotkeys but it gets used to the reason for this is because then i would have to change a lot of my hot keys. it was brought to my attention of this following cycle:
shift+1= 6
shift+2=7
shift+3=8
q=9
w=0
and setting main hatch to `(to the left of 1)

then setting the inject to "e" so it would look like this:
!!E
@@E
##E
QQE
WWE

although i can not claim credit for this thought because it was not my idea Decemvre gave me the idea about it....
ChefStarCraft
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
Canada350 Posts
February 24 2011 02:13 GMT
#20
On February 24 2011 11:08 pAnic677 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 24 2011 10:59 Fa1nT wrote:
For people who do not use the 5 queen, 6 queen, 7 queen, etc method.... how the hell do you micro your queens when hellions/reapers/banshee/void rays/etc come?

You manually go to each hatchery, grab each queen, fight with them in a ball, then send them all back? :/



yea... what i do is hit space bar and then move it that way... thats only if im not watching my mini map usually with good spread i can see all this.

im trying the shift+1=5
shift+2=6

im trying to put all my queens on different hotkeys but it gets used to the reason for this is because then i would have to change a lot of my hot keys. it was brought to my attention of this following cycle:
shift+1= 6
shift+2=7
shift+3=8
q=9
w=0
and setting main hatch to `(to the left of 1)

then setting the inject to "e" so it would look like this:
!!E
@@E
##E
QQE
WWE

although i can not claim credit for this thought because it was not my idea Decemvre gave me the idea about it....



that is a nice idea, to try and reach the 6-8 hot keys, i also changed them but not like that because i use the shift + control group allot to add to them, Instead i made a alternate hot key to make 6-9 control groups, i now use both ctrl + number or alt + number
Why don't we see who is the wizard and play some one on one, I think you'll find me sympathetic to ya when I've won, It seems you've got the brawn to beat me if this was all it takes, But I've got skills to pay the bills and punish each of your mistakes.
pAnic677
Profile Joined February 2011
Portugal26 Posts
February 24 2011 02:16 GMT
#21
On February 24 2011 11:13 ChefStarCraft wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 24 2011 11:08 pAnic677 wrote:
On February 24 2011 10:59 Fa1nT wrote:
For people who do not use the 5 queen, 6 queen, 7 queen, etc method.... how the hell do you micro your queens when hellions/reapers/banshee/void rays/etc come?

You manually go to each hatchery, grab each queen, fight with them in a ball, then send them all back? :/



yea... what i do is hit space bar and then move it that way... thats only if im not watching my mini map usually with good spread i can see all this.

im trying the shift+1=5
shift+2=6

im trying to put all my queens on different hotkeys but it gets used to the reason for this is because then i would have to change a lot of my hot keys. it was brought to my attention of this following cycle:
shift+1= 6
shift+2=7
shift+3=8
q=9
w=0
and setting main hatch to `(to the left of 1)

then setting the inject to "e" so it would look like this:
!!E
@@E
##E
QQE
WWE

although i can not claim credit for this thought because it was not my idea Decemvre gave me the idea about it....



that is a nice idea, to try and reach the 6-8 hot keys, i also changed them but not like that because i use the shift + control group allot to add to them, Instead i made a alternate hot key to make 6-9 control groups, i now use both ctrl + number or alt + number


yea i find the big draw to this is the fact that adding group1-5 is no long shift instead i did Ctrl+shift+1-4 to add to that group already
ChoiBoi
Profile Joined January 2011
United States130 Posts
February 24 2011 02:19 GMT
#22
if you really want to spend less time injecting, and you're a precise clicker, set them to a universal hotkey AND CLICK USING THE MINIMAP (GASP)

That's how I do it, anyways

User was warned for this post
Crackensan
Profile Joined August 2010
United States479 Posts
February 24 2011 02:20 GMT
#23
It really comes down to comfort and personal preference.

To the person asking how to micro queens on one hotkey to defend against hellions:

Kill the hellions before they are at yoru base? :D It's hard, quite frankly, the one Queen hotkey method's glaring weakness is this.
Tasteless: "Well this strategy is made of balls"--Concerning Fruitdealer Vs. BoXeR
ChefStarCraft
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
Canada350 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-02-24 02:30:48
February 24 2011 02:30 GMT
#24
On February 24 2011 11:20 Crackensan wrote:
It really comes down to comfort and personal preference.

To the person asking how to micro queens on one hotkey to defend against hellions:

Kill the hellions before they are at yoru base? :D It's hard, quite frankly, the one Queen hotkey method's glaring weakness is this.


It does come down to whats comfortable, no right or wrong. All Personal preference like crack said.

And about that being a weakness. I'm not sure what your talking about, i never have a problem with that kind of harass. unless its hellions transitioned from something and hes being smart about it, it may catch me off guard. But i haven't ever had a problem defending with this hot key set up.

Possibly if its that big of a deal you may be doing something else wrong.
If there are allot of hellions roaches are a good transition.
Why don't we see who is the wizard and play some one on one, I think you'll find me sympathetic to ya when I've won, It seems you've got the brawn to beat me if this was all it takes, But I've got skills to pay the bills and punish each of your mistakes.
Crackensan
Profile Joined August 2010
United States479 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-02-24 02:45:30
February 24 2011 02:42 GMT
#25
That, and if you've pressured right, and pushed him/scared him enough, you can mass expand and not care because you:

a) have a bunch of larva to replace drones.
b) Not give a shit because you have 3 mining bases+4th partial mining base, why do you care?

I did this on steppes Vs. Terran, Baneling bust (which is an all-in, i'll admit) into taking 3 expos and muta harass. Pinned, then killed him.

EDIT: This is silver league.... I probably won't get away with it in higher leagues. Was fun though.
Tasteless: "Well this strategy is made of balls"--Concerning Fruitdealer Vs. BoXeR
ChefStarCraft
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
Canada350 Posts
February 24 2011 02:44 GMT
#26
On February 24 2011 11:19 ChoiBoi wrote:
if you really want to spend less time injecting, and you're a precise clicker, set them to a universal hotkey AND CLICK USING THE MINIMAP (GASP)

That's how I do it, anyways






I have gave this some thought as well, but when or if bigger maps come into play, it becomes allot harder to do.
Why don't we see who is the wizard and play some one on one, I think you'll find me sympathetic to ya when I've won, It seems you've got the brawn to beat me if this was all it takes, But I've got skills to pay the bills and punish each of your mistakes.
Dommk
Profile Joined May 2010
Australia4865 Posts
February 24 2011 02:47 GMT
#27
I just changed my hotkey to focus on your hatcheries from backspace to Spacebar
btlyger
Profile Blog Joined February 2010
United States470 Posts
February 24 2011 02:49 GMT
#28
Queens shift v backspace for life!!

However, I have been thinking about moving to camera controls, but its kind of annoying with my current keyboard.
"Minerals being mined. Minerals being mined. Minerals being mined." Learn how to post: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting
-orb-
Profile Blog Joined September 2007
United States5770 Posts
February 24 2011 02:51 GMT
#29
just rebind the backspace function in sc2 to ~ and ezpz you can inject all your hatches in 1 second.

it's so ridiculously easy haha
'life of lively to live to life of full life thx to shield battery'
how sad that sc2 has no shield battery :(
ChefStarCraft
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
Canada350 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-02-24 02:58:53
February 24 2011 02:57 GMT
#30
Glad to help : )
We have it hard already on smaller maps,
This just gives us a few secs here or there, but remember
time can quickly add up and soon your a minute ahead or behind

Zerg love
Why don't we see who is the wizard and play some one on one, I think you'll find me sympathetic to ya when I've won, It seems you've got the brawn to beat me if this was all it takes, But I've got skills to pay the bills and punish each of your mistakes.
zylog
Profile Joined August 2010
Canada943 Posts
February 24 2011 13:15 GMT
#31
I really like this idea. I've been previously using the backspace method, except with shift+space in place of the backspace key. This works great when I'm on 2 bases, and 3 bases as well when I make an extra queen in advance and it's a nearby third.

However, on some maps, like scrap station or metalopolis close positions, my third base is going to be somewhere across on the other side of the map. In such a case, marching the third queen across the map is impractical, and my current method changes from something I don't have to think about to something I have to pay some attention to. Sometimes I tell a queen to inject an unoccupied hatchery - if I don't stop her right away, then another queen will be pulled to cover her hatchery, and in the end all of my queens will have moved out of their original position. Occasionally, I'm feeling really stressed and just spam click many time so I can get back into the action as soon as possible. Given enough time, all my hatcheries will gain extra larvae, but if my hatches aren't fully connected by creep, I sometimes won't have enough larvae because my queens are stuck moving over open ground.

When I tried the method listed here, I made a test situation where I have 4 bases, one without a queen, set to F5 through F8. The 4th base doesn't have a queen (new base) while my natural has two hatcheries with queens. My queens are all hotkeyed to 5 while my hatches are all hotkeyed to 4. There are a couple of ways that felt reasonably comfortable considering this is a new setup for me:

(camera hotkey -> queen hotkey -> inject -> click) * repeat

or

queen hotkey -> inject -> shift + (camera hotkey -> click)*repeat

For the second method, I set the alternates for the camera hotkeys to shift+F4, shift+F5, etc. This way, I take out a keystroke for each hatch I want to inject. For my macro hatch, I just click twice when the camera is in the base with multiple hatcheries. I also use a thumb button on my mouse as shift so it's a bit more easily reachable.
ALPINA
Profile Joined May 2010
3791 Posts
February 24 2011 13:25 GMT
#32
Why not just rebind backspace to comfortable key like ~ and you can easily cycle though the hatches? I think it's more simple that using 5/6/7/8 keys (which you also need to assign before using).
You should never underestimate the predictability of stupidity
Existor
Profile Joined July 2010
Russian Federation4295 Posts
February 24 2011 13:51 GMT
#33
Grid is the best and tilde as backspace, plus picture below

[image loading]

With big finger I can multi-inject a lot hacteries very fast. So with this hotkey scheme zerg macro is easiest in SC2, easiest than terran and protoss macro
jordanshadow
Profile Joined September 2010
7 Posts
February 24 2011 14:43 GMT
#34
On February 24 2011 09:50 KahunaNui wrote:
So you only use 123490 for buildings/units? If you have 3 or more hatcheries don't you have too few hotkeys for banelings, mutas, etc.? Just curious.


I added ~ - = to my hotkeys to replace the missing ones, but I usually only use ~.
My hotkeys are as follows 1,2 units 3 queens, 4 all hatches, 5,6,7,8 camera hotkeys, 9 first overlord and first overseer, 0 second overlord nydus worm.

I generally control my armies with 1 and 2 but if need be I add ~.
Hairy
Profile Joined February 2011
United Kingdom1169 Posts
February 24 2011 17:14 GMT
#35
I just changed my hotkeys yesterday, but I still want to do some experimentation and adjustment. I might give your method a shot a some point Mr OP, but it feels like a very very big switch from my current macro methods. I'm a player who has all his queens on one hotkey, all his hatches on another, and typically injects using the "backspace method".

What I've changed so far:
+ Show Spoiler +
Backspace (cycle through hatcheries) changed to tilde ( ` )
-- This honestly feels GREAT, it's so easy to inject now - I wish I'd changed sooner!

My '9' hotkey has an alternate hotkey as 'W'
-- I now have all my hatches on 'W' (aka 9) instead of '5'. This is not only easier to hit, but it means I free up the '5' hotkey for other things (the current plan being to bind a single hatchery to '5' so that I can tap the hotkey to monitor inject or lair upgrade progress). I don't mind losing the 'W' warpgate hotkey because not only did I rarely ever play Protoss, but when I did I always had my warpgates keybound to something anyway.

Save/Goto camera hotkeys changed from F5-F8 to F2-F5
-- Day9 made me do it


What I intend to do:
+ Show Spoiler +
Change the Idle Worker hotkey from 'F1' to my middle mouse, then shunt my camera controls along a key.

Give 'select larvae' an ALTERNATE hotkey as 'd'.

-- The idea being that when I need to make drones, I can simply hold down the 'd' button and as the moment a new larvae appears at one of my hatches it gets instantaneously morphed into a drone (as both select larvae and make drone hotkeys would be 'd'). I actually tried this but I had replaced the 's' larvae hotkey, and found it very difficult to adjust. I also found it a bit more difficult when making standard units because I was trying to both select larvae and morph units with only my index finger. It didnt occur till I read this thread that having both keybound could be a possibility - the best of both worlds!


I'd also like to note that you shouldn't be afraid of changing your SC2 hotkeys for fear of switching computer! Nightmare flashbacks of trying to play WoW on someone else's keyboard, without my keybinds, and without my macros spring to mind. With SC2 you can create your own custom hotkey setups, name and save these individually, and these will be stored for you on battlenet and loaded automatically when you log into your SC2 profile. Hurrah!
Sometimes I sits and thinks, and sometimes I just sits
Chill
Profile Blog Joined January 2005
Calgary26003 Posts
February 24 2011 17:16 GMT
#36
This seems like a drastic change (giving up 5-0 as hotkeys - essentially 60% of your hotkeys) to have a marginally easier way to inject larvae.
Moderator
CherubDown
Profile Joined August 2010
United States171 Posts
February 24 2011 17:17 GMT
#37
On February 24 2011 11:51 -orb- wrote:
just rebind the backspace function in sc2 to ~ and ezpz you can inject all your hatches in 1 second.

it's so ridiculously easy haha


Wow. You, sir, win.
dcberkeley
Profile Joined July 2009
Canada844 Posts
February 24 2011 17:27 GMT
#38
Hmm, I just use my minimap. I use one hotkey that way and I might be behind what, a second or two seconds in comparison? And I don't have to commit anything to mental memory ^_^
Moktira is da bomb
ChefStarCraft
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
Canada350 Posts
February 24 2011 21:19 GMT
#39
On February 25 2011 02:16 Chill wrote:
This seems like a drastic change (giving up 5-0 as hotkeys - essentially 60% of your hotkeys) to have a marginally easier way to inject larvae.


i agree, in my post earlier i went over how i use 3 for all my hatcheries, and 4 for all my queens.

I changed ` so it would be control group 0. I can see what people are saying using ` as backspace but i feel a control group as ` is a far better choice.

W feels very comfortable as backspace, in my play

I also set idle worker to my middle mouse button and

control spots to my mouses back and forward button to spread creep

I changed tab so i can back cycle my hatcheries.

e is inject, its a very smooth and fast and conveniently placed set up
Why don't we see who is the wizard and play some one on one, I think you'll find me sympathetic to ya when I've won, It seems you've got the brawn to beat me if this was all it takes, But I've got skills to pay the bills and punish each of your mistakes.
Normal
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 38m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
ProTech143
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 36720
Shuttle 2520
Bisu 1022
Jaedong 992
Horang2 961
Light 440
BeSt 362
firebathero 352
Mini 319
Hyuk 284
[ Show more ]
Stork 272
actioN 267
Soma 228
EffOrt 226
Zeus 191
ggaemo 191
Soulkey 163
Last 137
ZerO 121
Leta 120
Snow 114
Rush 75
Pusan 74
Killer 71
hero 42
Mong 42
Sharp 36
Mind 35
Shinee 31
Shine 27
Bale 27
Aegong 26
ToSsGirL 23
Sexy 21
soO 19
PianO 18
Trap 18
sorry 16
Yoon 16
Free 13
zelot 10
JulyZerg 9
Noble 9
HiyA 8
ajuk12(nOOB) 8
Icarus 5
Dota 2
Gorgc3597
qojqva1498
Dendi991
League of Legends
Reynor95
Counter-Strike
olofmeister1395
x6flipin335
markeloff111
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor1929
crisheroes858
Other Games
gofns33916
singsing2139
B2W.Neo776
XBOCT348
DeMusliM192
Livibee176
XaKoH 157
Mlord136
Liquid`LucifroN119
Mew2King114
QueenE78
ArmadaUGS75
Railgan9
ZerO(Twitch)9
Chillindude8
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream199
StarCraft: Brood War
lovetv 9
[ Show 13 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• StrangeGG 57
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• FirePhoenix3
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Jankos2237
• TFBlade505
Other Games
• WagamamaTV189
Upcoming Events
OSC
38m
Stellar Fest
38m
Serral vs herO
Solar vs Shino
Maru vs Clem
SHIN vs GgMaChine
OSC
11h 38m
Stellar Fest
1d
CranKy Ducklings
1d 21h
Online Event
1d 22h
FEL
2 days
AI Arena Tournament
2 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
2 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
2 days
[ Show More ]
INu's Battles
2 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
Replay Cast
3 days
Afreeca Starleague
3 days
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
3 days
Replay Cast
4 days
Afreeca Starleague
4 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
4 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
5 days
The PondCast
6 days
INu's Battles
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-30
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.