• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 03:49
CEST 09:49
KST 16:49
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 20262Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)77Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ BW General Discussion Fantasy returning? Sagi.gg Launcher Released SC4ALL II Brood War Complete Invited Player Lineup
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Nintendo Switch Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Canadian Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7928 users

[GSL] Who is worthy of competing in Code A - Page 108

Forum Index > SC2 General
Post a Reply
Prev 1 106 107 108 109 110 Next
Sephimos
Profile Joined January 2011
United States144 Posts
January 30 2011 15:00 GMT
#2141
On January 30 2011 22:55 bennyaus wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 30 2011 22:47 Sephimos wrote:
On January 30 2011 19:37 SmoKim wrote:
From Artosis Twitter:

FYI, the top 4 foreigners not in gsl were seeded into code A; (Z)Ret, (P)HuK, (Z)HayprO, and (Z)mOOnGLaDe!


awesome news :D


Bad.

Ret already failed out of A because he apparently doesn't know how to make units.

Huk deserved it.

Haypro and Moonglade are alright but there were better options.


Maybe all the other 'good' options should go give it a go in Korea, like these guys. These 4 are the top 4 foreigners on the ladder in Korea as far as I can tell (besides Idra/Jinro), and are all in Korea already. They all invested time and energy into getting into the GSL on merit, whereas other progamers who are 'better' options have not invested that same time. For this reason, I respect GSL's decision in this regard.


The next GSL in in March, their obsession with people being physically inside the RoK is really stupid. I'm sure Incontrol, Sen, Bratok, or a million other better invitees could be in South Korea in a month.
You see!! YOU SEEEEE!! -Sen
Panicc
Profile Joined October 2010
Germany163 Posts
January 30 2011 15:08 GMT
#2142
You cant really take tournament wins into account because in korea there are not that much like in europe or america. Ret already qualified for a Gsl like haypro. And you have to think about it. Its the first time they are seeded players. So it could be a test on how it works out
bennyaus
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
Australia1833 Posts
January 30 2011 15:09 GMT
#2143
'A million other' is a massive exaggeration.

Mate, I don't know if you know, but Moonglade beat the guy that knocked Sen out of IEM (Loner), and is top 200 in KR server (achieved whilst in Aus). Bratok doesn't compete regularly in competitions outside Russia due to visa issues, and Incontrol whilst being a swell guy, doesn't have the credentials in tournaments that his fan base suggests.

At least choose some players who have a legitimate claim to one of these spots, if they wanted to compete they would come and attempt the Code A qualifiers, and we only saw VTSpades and VTTorch (+FXO/VT managers) attempting besides the Liquid guys. It is a completely fair concept that GOM only chose foreigners who were committed to attempting to qualify, to get an invite into the tournament, and even if they weren't, there are actually not that many other good choices.... You have to remember that many (if not all) of the top players from NA and EU are not willing to live in Korea right now (Example: WhiteRa, based on recent results, is maybe the best choice and he said he is only 50:50)
I play Random - HuK, DRG + Liquid fan
Jakalo
Profile Blog Joined March 2009
Latvia2350 Posts
January 30 2011 15:14 GMT
#2144
On January 30 2011 23:59 Sephimos wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 30 2011 23:28 Random() wrote:
Though I have nothing against Ret personally, I don't understand how he deserved that invitation. He has had a lot of chances in the GSL already, and lost some disappointing games. His attitude towards Zerg has also not been particularly cheerful, if I remember correctly he said that he has no clue how to beat Protoss. What's the point of inviting him as a foreigner representative if he is likely to lose early?

I think someone like Sjow who is really hungry for victories right now and shows consistent improvement would be a more appropriate candidate to represent foreigners.

Anyway, good luck to all of them!


Ret is the worst of the invitees. He lost ugly//badly in Code A, I don't understand why he deserves a Golden Ticket back into the big show.


While we are at that Huk/Haypro didnt even make it that far, admittedly Huk had less time, but Haypro has been there longer than ret if I am not mistaken.

Skill wise Huk right now is at the top of the invites at least according to what I have seen, he lack huge successes lately, but he hasnt participated in many tournaments.
I would love to see Bratok/White-Ra/Sjow in the Korea in their place, but such is life. Their time will come hopefully.

Also does someone knows what happens if invited foreigners secure their place in code A, GOM keeps 4 invites or only seeks to maintain foreigner count at 4
Nostalgia is not as good as it used to be.
syllogism
Profile Joined September 2010
Finland5948 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-01-30 15:26:25
January 30 2011 15:24 GMT
#2145
It makes perfect sense to first invite players who are already there and have already invested a lot of time and effort into qualifying. There'll be plenty of opportunities to invite other candidates later on. Ideally invitees will know well in advance that they'll get the code A seeds as then they'll be able to deal with their prior arrangements and can come early to practice and otherwise prepare for the preliminaries.
LetoAtreides82
Profile Joined January 2011
United States1188 Posts
January 30 2011 15:30 GMT
#2146
On January 31 2011 00:00 Sephimos wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 30 2011 22:55 bennyaus wrote:
On January 30 2011 22:47 Sephimos wrote:
On January 30 2011 19:37 SmoKim wrote:
From Artosis Twitter:

FYI, the top 4 foreigners not in gsl were seeded into code A; (Z)Ret, (P)HuK, (Z)HayprO, and (Z)mOOnGLaDe!


awesome news :D


Bad.

Ret already failed out of A because he apparently doesn't know how to make units.

Huk deserved it.

Haypro and Moonglade are alright but there were better options.


Maybe all the other 'good' options should go give it a go in Korea, like these guys. These 4 are the top 4 foreigners on the ladder in Korea as far as I can tell (besides Idra/Jinro), and are all in Korea already. They all invested time and energy into getting into the GSL on merit, whereas other progamers who are 'better' options have not invested that same time. For this reason, I respect GSL's decision in this regard.


The next GSL in in March, their obsession with people being physically inside the RoK is really stupid. I'm sure Incontrol, Sen, Bratok, or a million other better invitees could be in South Korea in a month.


The next GSL starts February 14, they just call it GSL March because it ends in March.
The spice must flow
Chri
Profile Joined December 2010
Austria4 Posts
January 30 2011 16:51 GMT
#2147
I'd suggest EGDeMusliM, MTWDimaga, BratOK, Huk or WhiteRa
shannn
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Netherlands2891 Posts
January 30 2011 16:55 GMT
#2148
People need to calm down over the invitees. The invites has been done and I am pretty confident they will do well this upcoming season. This also means more new slots for foreigners (if the current ones do well) where we will have a better chance of more foreigners for code S. GSL will grow in viewer numbers and we'll all be happy. First try to root and congratulate the players who has been invited. I'm rooting for them!
http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewpost.php?post_id=6321864 Epic post.
Keitzer
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
United States2509 Posts
January 30 2011 16:56 GMT
#2149
Day[9] ofc.
I'm like badass squared | KeitZer.489
zyglrox
Profile Joined August 2010
United States1168 Posts
January 30 2011 17:49 GMT
#2150
qxc, huk, white ra, fenix
champagne for my real friends, and real pain for my sham friends.
PraetorianX
Profile Joined September 2010
Sweden780 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-01-30 18:35:12
January 30 2011 18:34 GMT
#2151
On January 30 2011 23:59 Sephimos wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 30 2011 23:28 Random() wrote:
Though I have nothing against Ret personally, I don't understand how he deserved that invitation. He has had a lot of chances in the GSL already, and lost some disappointing games. His attitude towards Zerg has also not been particularly cheerful, if I remember correctly he said that he has no clue how to beat Protoss. What's the point of inviting him as a foreigner representative if he is likely to lose early?

I think someone like Sjow who is really hungry for victories right now and shows consistent improvement would be a more appropriate candidate to represent foreigners.

Anyway, good luck to all of them!


Ret is the worst of the invitees. He lost ugly//badly in Code A, I don't understand why he deserves a Golden Ticket back into the big show.


I have to agree, Ret isn't worthy. WhiteRa actually has a real good shot at winning the GSL, he deserved Ret's spot. But I assume the fact the Ret is in Korea made him simply more convenient to seed.
The best argument against democracy is a 5-minute conversation with the average voter - Winston Churchill
syllogism
Profile Joined September 2010
Finland5948 Posts
January 30 2011 18:54 GMT
#2152
On January 31 2011 03:34 PraetorianX wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 30 2011 23:59 Sephimos wrote:
On January 30 2011 23:28 Random() wrote:
Though I have nothing against Ret personally, I don't understand how he deserved that invitation. He has had a lot of chances in the GSL already, and lost some disappointing games. His attitude towards Zerg has also not been particularly cheerful, if I remember correctly he said that he has no clue how to beat Protoss. What's the point of inviting him as a foreigner representative if he is likely to lose early?

I think someone like Sjow who is really hungry for victories right now and shows consistent improvement would be a more appropriate candidate to represent foreigners.

Anyway, good luck to all of them!


Ret is the worst of the invitees. He lost ugly//badly in Code A, I don't understand why he deserves a Golden Ticket back into the big show.


I have to agree, Ret isn't worthy. WhiteRa actually has a real good shot at winning the GSL, he deserved Ret's spot. But I assume the fact the Ret is in Korea made him simply more convenient to seed.

That's a bit overly optimistic
Shaok
Profile Joined October 2010
297 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-01-30 18:58:14
January 30 2011 18:57 GMT
#2153
Fenix, HuK and White-Ra, I'd suggest qxc but he is going to spain.
ComusLoM
Profile Blog Joined October 2009
Norway3547 Posts
January 30 2011 19:05 GMT
#2154
Oh wow I'm so happy about the liquid guys seeded into GSL Code A :D Ret is so beastly and so is Huk and Haypro who is so underrated.
"The White Woman Speaks in Tongues That Are All Lies" - Incontrol; Member #37 of the Chill Fanclub
Lyrok
Profile Joined September 2008
Germany85 Posts
January 30 2011 19:13 GMT
#2155
Well let's give the Liquid guys a shot to prove themselves (again). If they fail, other famous players mentioned here can try in a month
Omnipresent
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
United States871 Posts
January 30 2011 19:22 GMT
#2156
On January 31 2011 01:55 shannn wrote:
People need to calm down over the invitees. The invites has been done and I am pretty confident they will do well this upcoming season. This also means more new slots for foreigners (if the current ones do well) where we will have a better chance of more foreigners for code S. GSL will grow in viewer numbers and we'll all be happy. First try to root and congratulate the players who has been invited. I'm rooting for them!


Obviously I hope everyone plays to the best of their abilities. I hope they enjoy themselves and are happy with their results.

However, I'm not sure why you think this is a positive thing for the GSL. Seeding players in Code A was a risky decision to begin with. Exempting players from the standard rules undermines the competition in general. These picks have only made it worse. It's tough to give unqualified players a free pass into Code A and still run a "legitimate" tournament (though Huk was probably a safe bet). This decision will almost certainly hurt the GSL's ratings in Korea, and threatens its legitimacy in general.

I don't want to cry doom here. This clearly isn't the end of the GSL. But if GOM makes this sort of choice every season (seeding foreign players simply because they're foreign, not based on skill), it'll be pretty hard to take them seriously.


As far as rooting for players, I'm interested in cheering for the best or most interesting players, not necessarily the ones that happen to look like me or speak my language. It's nice to watch an interview with a player who speaks English, but it's also nice to see great players play.
Holgerius
Profile Blog Joined January 2009
Sweden16951 Posts
January 30 2011 19:25 GMT
#2157
I'm a little disappointed by the invites, but I guess it's the most practical solution.
I believe in the almighty Grötslev! -- I am never serious and you should never believe a thing I say. Including the previous sentence.
Grumbels
Profile Blog Joined May 2009
Netherlands7032 Posts
January 30 2011 19:31 GMT
#2158
Ret is very good, but after people like Idra and Artosis kept saying he had insane talent and potential, it's really rather disappointing to see him lose so many games with bad play after he had months in Korea in a pro-gaming house. He's probably still a good choice, but the problem is that him losing in code A costs another foreigner a spot, which is unfortunate.
Well, now I tell you, I never seen good come o' goodness yet. Him as strikes first is my fancy; dead men don't bite; them's my views--amen, so be it.
fainez
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
United States91 Posts
January 30 2011 19:45 GMT
#2159
im not sure why you guys think they would seed people that didnt even go to the prelims. the only people at the prelims other than the ones that got seeded was like VTspades, carn, and artosis.

Sjow wasn't in korea... so how would they seed him?
Sadistx
Profile Blog Joined February 2009
Zimbabwe5568 Posts
January 30 2011 19:50 GMT
#2160
I guess GSL really needed zergs...whatever. All those players deserve it one way or the other.
Prev 1 106 107 108 109 110 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 2h 11m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
EnDerr 8
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 2539
Rain 1781
FanTaSy 526
Mong 108
Yoon 44
NotJumperer 42
Bale 39
Soma 35
Hm[arnc] 32
ajuk12(nOOB) 18
[ Show more ]
Killer 10
yabsab 9
Noble 8
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm162
Fuzer 43
League of Legends
JimRising 549
Counter-Strike
shoxiejesuss242
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King173
Other Games
summit1g8237
olofmeister792
ceh9303
Happy302
KnowMe126
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick687
BasetradeTV169
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream45
[ Show 15 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Azhi_Dahaki24
• iopq 3
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2219
League of Legends
• Lourlo1142
• Rush1099
• Stunt462
Other Games
• Shiphtur920
Upcoming Events
The PondCast
2h 11m
INu's Battles
3h 11m
Percival vs SHIN
Zoun vs herO
OSC
5h 11m
OSC
14h 26m
Replay Cast
15h 11m
OSC
1d 15h
Big Brain Bouts
2 days
Rex vs INexorable
GgMaChine vs HeRoMaRinE
Reynor vs herO
AI Arena Tournament
2 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
2 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
3 days
[ Show More ]
Patches Events
3 days
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
WardiTV Weekly
5 days
PiGosaur Cup
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.