• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 07:05
CEST 13:05
KST 20:05
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup3StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)64Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2314
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) Awesome/Confusing SC2 BM SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
BW General Discussion BSL Season 23 Bot on ladder ASL22 General Discussion JaeDong's ASL S22 Ro. 8 Review
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 11704 users

[GSL Spoiler] What has... - Page 9

Forum Index > SC2 General
Post a Reply
Prev 1 7 8 9 10 Next All
Mecha71
Profile Joined March 2010
United States59 Posts
October 03 2010 07:21 GMT
#161
I think a key fact that not many noticed was how ITR didn't really apply the patented early terren aggression that has become a staple play in tvz. No great early reaper/hellion/banshee harass ment FD got to have an easier transition into the mid/late game where zerg and FD excel at tremendously. FD got to basically choose how he wanted to open and didn't really get heavily deterred early from his gameplan and made ITR pay for it every time.
Kishkumen
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
United States650 Posts
October 03 2010 07:27 GMT
#162
On October 03 2010 13:38 tomatriedes wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 03 2010 12:05 Kishkumen wrote:
On October 03 2010 06:57 attackfighter wrote:
Cool kept up with his creep-pushing, but he didn't over-do it like some players do.


I think iDra is guilty of that. He focuses way tooo much on creep and really neglects many other aspects of the game.



How can focusing on something that is essentially a free speed upgrade for all of your units be bad? The only way I can see creep spread ever being bad for Zerg is if they spend too much money on queens or lose overlords dropping creep. I assure you, IdrA has enough mechanical skill to spread creep effectively while managing the other aspects of the game. Cool didn't play absolutely perfectly in those games. He played incredibly well, but there's definitely room for improvement, such as his creep spread. The game's only been out for a few months; no one plays anywhere close to perfectly. So don't take everything Cool does as the definitive word on Zerg play. He's the best Zerg in the world, but he's not perfect.


No player will ever be perfect. Of course creep spreading is good but no matter how skilled you are you only have a limited amount of APM/time and if you focus too much on creep it may limit other aspects of your game. I think cool has shown that, if it's possible to win so convincingly without spreading creep so much maybe some of the other top zergs are getting too bogged down in spreading creep and being slower in their base defense, macro etc as a result.


I'm no pro player so I can't speak to the reality of this, but it seems like creep spread shouldn't be an incredible amount of APM/multitask commitment, comparatively speaking. I mean, we're talking about ex-Brood War pros here, who didn't have automine, unlimited control groups, or MBS and still managed to defend their base and all that. I think if you asked IdrA, he would say that creep spread is never a waste of time/APM at the pro level. I have literally never heard a top Zerg player say that you should spend less time spreading creep. The only thing I've ever heard is criticism for not spending enough time spreading the creep.
Weird, last time I checked the UN said you need to have at least 200 APM and be rainbow league to be called human. —Liquid`TLO
evanthebouncy!
Profile Blog Joined June 2006
United States12816 Posts
October 03 2010 07:34 GMT
#163
I think creep spreading isn't that hard. I can do it convincingly and I'm by no means a good zerg player.
But Idra does spread his creeps very, very deligently, you can see that in an idra game his creep is far more coverage than the other zergs.
The problem isn't "oh idra spent too much time spreading creeps therefore he lacks in other aspects"
It's more like cool is just so much better at the other aspects.
Life is run, it is dance, it is fast, passionate and BAM!, you dance and sing and booze while you can for now is the time and time is mine. Smile and laugh when still can for now is the time and soon you die!
fantomex
Profile Joined June 2009
United States313 Posts
October 03 2010 07:34 GMT
#164
The jury is still out on creep.

It should be obvious to everyone that spreading creep at the expense of catching drops is a bad idea. But I'm not convinced by GSL1 that its an either/or proposition for these players.
Replay or GTFO
piroko139
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
United States261 Posts
October 03 2010 07:35 GMT
#165
Baneling drops are pretty scary.
Pfhor
Profile Joined September 2010
123 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-10-03 07:47:50
October 03 2010 07:47 GMT
#166
I think it's important to note that while the only game he did lose, he went hydras, I think if he added upgraded roaches into his army in that game along with the hydras he would have stomped that tank/marine/thor push.
dogabutila
Profile Blog Joined December 2009
United States1438 Posts
October 03 2010 07:58 GMT
#167
Pretty sure cool himself said he didnt know what he was doing differently from other zergs and couldnt point it out......
Baller Fanclub || CheAse Fanclub || Scarlett Fanclub || LJD FIGHTING!
divertiti
Profile Joined August 2010
Canada106 Posts
October 03 2010 08:12 GMT
#168
Infesters are KEY to shutting down medivac drops, drop comes in, fungal growth, drop never leaves.
ZomgTossRush
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
United States1041 Posts
October 03 2010 08:49 GMT
#169
On October 03 2010 15:58 Sultan.P wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 03 2010 15:53 zomgtossrush wrote:
I really feel that hope lot those games rather than cool winning them. I mean i love the zerg play, but after just watching the games, i think his play was over hyped. Yes he played great, but didn't have to deal with so many of terrans exploits. The only gimmick the terran tried was 2 tank drops, which cool did a great job blocking.


C'mon man! Rainbow did two tank drops and Fruit stopped them with lots of class. Look at that game on kulas for example. Even the commentators were so pumped to see how the tank drop would succeed, it almost seemed that cool would be behind by loosing an expo and out of nowhere a nydus appears in rainbow's base and catches him totally off guard. That has to be an example of cool "winning" the game.



Oh of course, the way he handled both drops on LT and kulas was great. But that could have been solved through practice. He knew tank drops were strong on LT, so he has 2 spines ready to go. On kulas, once he decided to take that gold, i am sure he had an anti-tank drop strat practiced.

But the t played so bland and boring everygame, i can't hero-worship the fruitman like most of tl. Cools late game was spectaculer, but it was almost like watching a FMP considering how untouched he went. The terran did absolutly nothing impressive the entire series. He never pressured cool, ever. He just seige mode'd his way to 3 base, while trying fail attempts at drop harrasing, 15 minutes into the game.

Did cool, deserve to win the GSL? Sure. Did he do so impressively? Not to me. Did he have flashes of brilliance? Definitely. Did he have to face the arsenal of terran openings? Not even close.
Coaching for 1v1 and Team games at Gosucoaching.com
adeezy
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
United States1428 Posts
October 03 2010 09:41 GMT
#170
People say he didnt face teh arsenal of terran openings. He did.. The only thing was that he successfully defended all of them. Early barracks .. .etc. Like for example when he went against next live forever he lost his hatch to bunker reapers. but still came out on top even after bancheese. PRO
I asked my friend how the ratio at a party was, he replied. "Let's just say for every guy there was two dudes."
MetalSlug
Profile Joined February 2010
Germany443 Posts
October 03 2010 10:01 GMT
#171
Rainbow ;_; *cry
MKP | Maru | Nada | Boxer | Supernova | Keen
attackfighter
Profile Joined November 2009
Canada308 Posts
October 03 2010 10:03 GMT
#172
On October 03 2010 16:27 Kishkumen wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 03 2010 13:38 tomatriedes wrote:
On October 03 2010 12:05 Kishkumen wrote:
On October 03 2010 06:57 attackfighter wrote:
Cool kept up with his creep-pushing, but he didn't over-do it like some players do.


I think iDra is guilty of that. He focuses way tooo much on creep and really neglects many other aspects of the game.



How can focusing on something that is essentially a free speed upgrade for all of your units be bad? The only way I can see creep spread ever being bad for Zerg is if they spend too much money on queens or lose overlords dropping creep. I assure you, IdrA has enough mechanical skill to spread creep effectively while managing the other aspects of the game. Cool didn't play absolutely perfectly in those games. He played incredibly well, but there's definitely room for improvement, such as his creep spread. The game's only been out for a few months; no one plays anywhere close to perfectly. So don't take everything Cool does as the definitive word on Zerg play. He's the best Zerg in the world, but he's not perfect.


No player will ever be perfect. Of course creep spreading is good but no matter how skilled you are you only have a limited amount of APM/time and if you focus too much on creep it may limit other aspects of your game. I think cool has shown that, if it's possible to win so convincingly without spreading creep so much maybe some of the other top zergs are getting too bogged down in spreading creep and being slower in their base defense, macro etc as a result.


I'm no pro player so I can't speak to the reality of this, but it seems like creep spread shouldn't be an incredible amount of APM/multitask commitment, comparatively speaking. I mean, we're talking about ex-Brood War pros here, who didn't have automine, unlimited control groups, or MBS and still managed to defend their base and all that. I think if you asked IdrA, he would say that creep spread is never a waste of time/APM at the pro level. I have literally never heard a top Zerg player say that you should spend less time spreading creep. The only thing I've ever heard is criticism for not spending enough time spreading the creep.


idra sometimes misses production cycles and his overlord placement/scouting in general is subpar. he also rarely ever puts on any pressure, so his attention is entirely devoted to macro yet he still makes mistakes. also I've never said a top zerg mention spreading creep at all, but I'm sure they'd tell you to do it when you can, but not to focus too much energy on it thinking it'll auto-win the game or something.

-----

on an unrelated note, today on ladder I encountered like 5 zergs and only 2 terrans. looks like a bunch of people are hopping on the zerg bandwagon now that Cool's won, lol
kOre
Profile Blog Joined April 2009
Canada3642 Posts
October 03 2010 10:04 GMT
#173
I switched over to Zerg from Protoss because of Fruitseller. :D
http://www.starcraftmecca.net - Founder
mangoloid
Profile Joined September 2010
100 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-10-03 10:36:10
October 03 2010 10:35 GMT
#174
Terran player here ^_^ so my own insights into zerg aren't great, but I felt like I learned a lot of things about zerg and wanted to list them.

1) preparing for harass -- I know there are a lot of people who complain that Terran has too many early options, especially regarding harass, but as a Terran player I feel that there are only a few "viable" harasses per map/race match-up. An ineffective harass is a serious blow to the harasser. Watching Fruit Dealer, he seemed to have all the obvious harass options at his fingertips, and all it took was minimal scouting to tell him which his opponent was going. A lot of people have called him "psychic," but it's just good game sense. It's important to prepare for harass and practice for it. Something as simple (and clever) as roaches at the back of the high ground will turn the game in your favor.

2) zerg mobility -- Fruit Dealer really knows how to abuse mobility, something I have seen few other top zergs do, even tho mobility is one of the race's major advantages. Several parts to this:

First, it allows zerg to expand like crazy. If you have slings and mutas out, bouncing back and forth between bases is no problem. Another advantage for zerg here is that hatcheries double as army production, so when you have a new hatch up you automatically have the production building to reinforce it (with any unit you want). The other races don't have this. It felt so right to see Fruit Dealer mass expanding, and I never felt that his expos were in too much danger at all.

Second, when there is a large Terran army in the center of the map, attack where the army isn't. Fruit Dealer did this time and again and it was so refreshing. Tanks, Thors, rines are closing in on his base -- he throws up a nydus or does a drop in his opponents main and that massive army has to stagger back home (but can't get there before half of it is gone). It's so painful to watch other zerg's who suicide their forces against an incoming army. We've figured out by now that a maxed T or P army is stronger than a maxed Z army, so head on engagements is always a mistake. But zerg has the mobility to get better positioning or to attack the weak points on the map. Fruit Dealer understood this, and it was (again) refreshing to see. My fave moment was in the semis when bio-mech was breaking through the rocks on Scrap Station. FD swung some slings around to do a double-sided attack/contain, then dropped banes on the ambushed army.

That's all from me. FD played excellently and I hope some of his creative solutions become standard. ^_^ I had a lot of fun watching him. I finally felt like I was seeing true zerg power. I also have to admit I felt bad for his terran opponents. I know how powerless you can feel in those situations (TvZ is actually my worst match-up D: ). Looking forward to seeing more of Fruit Dealer in the future.
Foomnz
Profile Joined August 2010
New Zealand36 Posts
October 03 2010 11:01 GMT
#175
I learned 2 things from fruit dealers play

1: only make what you need to defend early harras...
and produce as many drones as you can while teching as fast as you can...(Ovie drops and bling speed all count to victory..get them all...fast..drones are cheap

2: make diverse unit compositions....don't over commit to muta production etc...make just what you need to stop a harass..and continue to diversify...lings/roaches/infestors/mutas/bling/ultras
noD
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
2230 Posts
October 03 2010 12:43 GMT
#176
I think he was the player I ever saw losing as many hatcheries and being harassed mid/late game and from each hatchery itr destroyed he would make 2 anew and instant rebuild drones, I think he did take the Z race to the metagame it should be playing ....
And I like when he himself said ZvT is easy and he is struggling with ZvP =d
yowza
Profile Joined September 2010
Finland210 Posts
October 03 2010 12:49 GMT
#177
On October 03 2010 21:43 noD wrote:
And I like when he himself said ZvT is easy and he is struggling with ZvP =d


That depends largely on the player tho, TheStC wasn't there, which is pretty much the best terran in all of Korea.

9/30-10/1
Players/Matches of note:
oGsTheStC(T) shows us why he is so good, playing 13 games and winning all of them, leaving him on a unbroken 13 win streak, and 2 of those games were against none other than FruitSeller(Z) the GSL S1 Finalist, those matches are labeled: oGsTheStC(T) vs ????????(Z) [MAP NAME].


From gisado's Koth event. For those that aren't familiar with it, its a king of the hill event which features all the best players in Korea and it's even been said that getting the grand prize in it (25 win streak) is harder than winning the gsl.

Also;

Record of successive wins
- First : oGsTheStC(T) 22successive wins.

:p
derp
Dreamscythe
Profile Joined August 2010
Finland273 Posts
October 03 2010 13:42 GMT
#178
Overlord drops was pretty awesome.

Like rest of he's game :b
Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.Oscar Wilde
Nakas
Profile Joined May 2010
United States148 Posts
October 03 2010 14:31 GMT
#179
I think his overlord drops often hurt him more than helped, particularly in the game 4 that he lost. He lost a lot of overlords to turrets, some with units still in them. After losing the ovies, he was unable to retreat in time to defend his base and was badly supply blocked. If he went nydus in game 4, I think he would have won easily. After the last patch, I find that just running in against tanks works fine.
azarat
Profile Joined September 2010
Australia155 Posts
October 03 2010 14:48 GMT
#180
I don't think FS did anything super amazingly outlandishly new, but he defended extremely well and had an almost-impeccable sense of timing. Intercepting the Medivacs as he did so well was crucial to his overwhelming map control dominance. I think those who criticize ITR for his lack of early harass are perhaps forgetting ITR's horror drop attempts in the first three games that all ended badly for him. I mean, you really can't get better drop maps than Delta Quadrant, Lost Temple, and Kulas Ravine but I don't remember a single effective drop on those maps, which probably meant he was loathe to risk more Medivacs and units in the last two games.

I'm not trying to take away from FS' victory; I think he completely outplayed ITR in his four wins and about 80% of the time of his loss and thus well-deserved his win. But I don't think there's a huge amount of "new" info from his win, though you might argue that certain strategies that were less known by those who don't watch a ton of commentaries and replays will see a much greater propagation now because of the prominence of his win. He executed fundamentals of Zerg play exceptionally well and prepared extremely well for the ZvT matchup.

On a side note, as a Zerg player I've always found ZvT to be an easier MU than ZvP. I'm by no means an awesome player or anything, and maybe it's just because I've played more ZvT than anything else, but when playing ZvT I feel that if I scout well and play well I have a decent shot. In ZvP I sometimes feel a bit helpless in the face of strong pushes and the fact that Protoss T3 is so very strong against your ground army.
Prev 1 7 8 9 10 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Online Event
20:00
BamsPatch 1.0 Weekly #3
Liquipedia
CranKy Ducklings
19:00
Sea Duckling Open #150 (SHIN Mod Edition)
CranKy Ducklings99
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
Lowko188
ProTech132
SHIN 54
StarCraft: Brood War
Hyuk 1206
Mind 975
Shuttle 887
Bisu 761
Larva 608
Mini 173
EffOrt 121
Soma 121
Leta 105
Last 97
[ Show more ]
Britney 94
Zeus 90
Hyun 79
ZerO 62
Pusan 59
Sexy 49
sorry 43
PianO 41
Trap 40
Hm[arnc] 39
Killer 33
Bale 30
ToSsGirL 28
Aegong 18
hero 13
yabsab 12
Sacsri 11
Noble 8
JulyZerg 6
Dota 2
XcaliburYe621
XaKoH 459
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor1439
Other Games
gofns34610
singsing2272
crisheroes293
B2W.Neo252
OGKoka 201
Mew2King125
ArmadaUGS71
Livibee54
ZerO(Twitch)5
DeMusliM2
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream181
[ Show 15 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• StrangeGG 69
• Gemini_19 23
• CranKy Ducklings SOOP21
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• C_a_k_e 8444
League of Legends
• Jankos1416
• Stunt848
Other Games
• WagamamaTV9
Upcoming Events
FEL
4h 55m
AI Arena Tournament
5h 55m
BSL: Ladder Tournament
7h 55m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
22h 55m
INu's Battles
1d
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 7h
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 7h
Replay Cast
1d 12h
Afreeca Starleague
1d 22h
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
1d 23h
[ Show More ]
Monday Night Weeklies
2 days
Afreeca Starleague
2 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
2 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
3 days
The PondCast
4 days
INu's Battles
4 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-10-02
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
Copium Cup
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.