• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 22:57
CEST 04:57
KST 11:57
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror2[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup8StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)67Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2316
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups? October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Fantasy returning? Sagi.gg Launcher Released BW General Discussion PLAYzone Challenge - open offline tour in Prague 20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 2v2v2v2 Tournament
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7890 users

How to fix TvZ Mech - Page 28

Forum Index > SC2 General
Post a Reply
Prev 1 26 27 28 29 30 45 Next All
Uthgar
Profile Joined March 2010
United States21 Posts
June 03 2010 19:49 GMT
#541
I don't want to disrespect players who are better than me, but I have to say I dislike this attitude. Its akin to that of a spoiled brat. You will never win if you believe you can't win. You may try a 100 games, maybe 200 games (which I doubt anyone here has even come close to doing), and still you can have a positive attitude and say maybe if I tweak this little timing here. I watch games of Broodwar and I see players do phenomenal things that I NEVER would have believed possible. NEVER. But they do them. They play 10 hours a day and they perfect little tiny things that we are too spoiled to do. They don't even think there is an option of asking for a balance change. They just do what they can.

I am not saying mech isn't too strong. A setup terran army run by a smart player is a tough nut to crack. However,I defintely think the the majority of zerg advocating this are too passive early game. Why do Zerg HAVE to take a fast expo and eco up. Is it written law? Maybe take a later expo while making the terran's life miserable. I just think that it is far too early to contemplate fixes. Worry about perfecting your own play and then when you can come and say your play was divine in its perfection, and you still lost, we have a problem.
SnakeChomp
Profile Joined May 2010
Canada125 Posts
June 03 2010 19:59 GMT
#542
On June 04 2010 04:49 Uthgar wrote:
I just think that it is far too early to contemplate fixes. Worry about perfecting your own play and then when you can come and say your play was divine in its perfection, and you still lost, we have a problem.


I disagree with your argument that we must play perfectly before we can decree that there is a problem. Blizzard uses a fairly straight forward system to determine when there is a problem and when there is not. Simply stated it is thus. "Any strategy should be as easy (or hard) to counter as it is to execute."

How easy is it to turtle up as Terran with mech and get fully upgraded? Well, I play Zerg and not Terran so my opinion is biased, but I think it's fair to say that turtling is pretty easy in general. That implies that this strategy is fairly easy to execute.

How hard is it for Zerg to attack a turtling max upgraded Terran mech build? Clearly the evidence suggests that it is very difficult to do so. Thus, the strategy is fairly hard to counter.

Easy to execute, hard to counter, therefore there is a problem.
jamesr12
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States1549 Posts
June 03 2010 20:00 GMT
#543
On June 04 2010 04:49 Uthgar wrote:
I don't want to disrespect players who are better than me, but I have to say I dislike this attitude. Its akin to that of a spoiled brat. You will never win if you believe you can't win. You may try a 100 games, maybe 200 games (which I doubt anyone here has even come close to doing), and still you can have a positive attitude and say maybe if I tweak this little timing here. I watch games of Broodwar and I see players do phenomenal things that I NEVER would have believed possible. NEVER. But they do them. They play 10 hours a day and they perfect little tiny things that we are too spoiled to do. They don't even think there is an option of asking for a balance change. They just do what they can.

I am not saying mech isn't too strong. A setup terran army run by a smart player is a tough nut to crack. However,I defintely think the the majority of zerg advocating this are too passive early game. Why do Zerg HAVE to take a fast expo and eco up. Is it written law? Maybe take a later expo while making the terran's life miserable. I just think that it is far too early to contemplate fixes. Worry about perfecting your own play and then when you can come and say your play was divine in its perfection, and you still lost, we have a problem.


terran walls almost everytime, this limits your options to 1 base drops, 1 base muta, 1 base baneling bust, 1 base nydus, all of these are basically all in so yeah FE is still the best option
http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=306479
shiftY803
Profile Joined April 2010
200 Posts
June 03 2010 20:01 GMT
#544
I think the only real thing that can be done early, assuming we are talking about the same thing here, is a baneling bust. That is a very all-in style though, and cannot be a standard build against T.

Early game you have speedlings and maybe roaches, but the terran is walled off. There is no way to "make his life miserable."

Or, you can go one base muta and expand later than usual (which is what I do alot of the time). That is slightly better, but also ends when they turret up and get a couple thors and some marines. At that point in the game, there is nothing major to "abuse." Someone correct me if I'm overlooking something.

Once he expands, you have more options. Drops in his main while he defends natural, etc. I would not call that the early game though. Furthermore, as discussed at length, sensor towers, turrets, etc etc make this difficult as well.
live without appeal. ~ camus
Ecael
Profile Joined February 2008
United States6703 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-06-03 20:06:12
June 03 2010 20:04 GMT
#545
Z has to be pretty passive because Z's aggression doesn't mix too well with how every T walls. 1 base mute is really the only 'pressure' build that I found viable if I were to remain on 1 base for a while. Without an expo it is hard to do anything roach or hydra based, and among the two of them the latter's utility is marginal at best.

Or, you can go one base muta and expand later than usual (which is what I do alot of the time). That is slightly better, but also ends when they turret up and get a couple thors and some marines. At that point in the game, there is nothing major to "abuse." Someone correct me if I'm overlooking something.

By forcing them to thor and turret though, we do get the breather we need to expo, not to mention have mutes to fend off what harassment they might attempt. I don't know if we can call this abusing or exploiting anything though, it is just the natural way both sides kind of have to play.
Slipspace
Profile Joined May 2010
United States381 Posts
June 03 2010 20:04 GMT
#546
This thread isn't about walls, it's about late late game terran mech with raven/viking support and its power.

Blizzard is making it abundantly clear with each patch that they want the Ultralisk to be the answer, despite how effective it might be. 90% of the arguments in this thread are completely committed to making roach/hydra work instead of some ultra/ling/infestor action, and hopefully TLO will show us some sweet games of this!
Martinni
Profile Joined October 2007
Canada169 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-06-03 20:52:35
June 03 2010 20:05 GMT
#547
I've also struggled with mech for a while but I tried a couple alternatives (instead of screaming imba and nerf) and I had some very positive results. Unfortunately they all involve some sort of timing push before the terran mech army becomes unbeatable.

- Muta, Corruptor and Overseer. Use the corruptor's ability on the thor so it takes considerably more damage and then you chain contaminate the factory to stop any thor production. There's usually 2-3 turrets but it can be handled pretty easy. It does require a good amount of micro and a perfect unit combination (2-3 corruptor, 2 overseers with ~6 mutas, you make the corruptors and overseer before mutas so they have more energy when the push comes.)

- Roach, Hydra and Infestor. Pretty straight forward you push before he gets too many tanks and thors. Use neural parasite to cut their army in half. Hydra are too often overlooked but with the help of roaches they do an insane amount of damage. Even if the Terran has some hellions the 3 range on roaches makes them alway go in front and buffer any kind of hellions fire instead of the hydras. Alternatively you can poke in the front with tunneling claws to see if he has detection in his base, if not he'll take some pretty heavy damage. Or just use the roach ability to unburrow under the tank and as they draw fire come in with hydras and infestor.

- Fast broodlords. Nothing special just some roach and straight tech to broods.

this is kinda like the guy that started milking and cows... what the hell was he doing?
Melt
Profile Joined May 2010
Switzerland281 Posts
June 03 2010 20:06 GMT
#548
On June 04 2010 05:01 shiftY803 wrote:
I think the only real thing that can be done early, assuming we are talking about the same thing here, is a baneling bust. That is a very all-in style though, and cannot be a standard build against T.


But that is not a Strategy to win against mech because the opponent doesn't really has a mech army.. so it's not a way to balance this specific problem.

But it makes a good point though; you need to win against mech by killing the enemy before he has mech... now thats imba
Mr.E
Profile Blog Joined March 2009
United States434 Posts
June 03 2010 20:08 GMT
#549
On June 03 2010 09:27 dethrawr wrote:
Its the same in SC1, if zerg lets terran get 200/200 mech zerg will lose.

I don't think its really imbalanced, zerg needs to start using mech's immobility against them with nydus/doom drop play.

Also your 'fix' would be awful :l


Yes, heavily using drop tech (against any siege tank heavy army) and if you have room to breath, nydus canals. You just need to be fast enough and practice them enough to use them correctly.
Looking for top-tier practice partners, especially Z; PM me
L
Profile Blog Joined January 2008
Canada4732 Posts
June 03 2010 20:14 GMT
#550
Nydus + infested terrans to prevent killing the head, shutting down factories, forcing T to siege/unsiege during pushes using advance tumor creep + lings, and proper anti-thor muta micro are probably the next big developments that'll come out of zerg.

Well, and Broodlords. Broodlords are still sick good.
The number you have dialed is out of porkchops.
TelecoM
Profile Blog Joined January 2010
United States10866 Posts
June 03 2010 20:20 GMT
#551
i agree and think if terran plays properly they can just sit and wait till they are 3-3 then push with maxed mech and 4-6 ravens for HSM , rapes.
AKA: TelecoM[WHITE] Protoss fighting
Liquid`Jinro
Profile Blog Joined September 2002
Sweden33719 Posts
June 03 2010 20:23 GMT
#552
On June 04 2010 04:25 Trok67 wrote:
yes I agree but i think there is no chance for blizzard to remove smart AI, theyve worked on it and they are proud of their new AI so i dont see them changing because of players feedback

Assuming we are talking about the siege tanks, it's not smart AI - at least the explanation I got was that siege tank damage is instant now, so there's no target for the other tanks to shoot at by the time the first tanks have killed it.
Moderatortell the guy that interplanatar interaction is pivotal to terrans variety of optionitudals in the pre-midgame preperatories as well as the protosstinal deterriggation of elite zergling strikes - Stimey n | Formerly FrozenArbiter
Uthgar
Profile Joined March 2010
United States21 Posts
June 03 2010 20:25 GMT
#553
On June 04 2010 04:59 SnakeChomp wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 04 2010 04:49 Uthgar wrote:
I just think that it is far too early to contemplate fixes. Worry about perfecting your own play and then when you can come and say your play was divine in its perfection, and you still lost, we have a problem.


I disagree with your argument that we must play perfectly before we can decree that there is a problem. Blizzard uses a fairly straight forward system to determine when there is a problem and when there is not. Simply stated it is thus. "Any strategy should be as easy (or hard) to counter as it is to execute."

How easy is it to turtle up as Terran with mech and get fully upgraded? Well, I play Zerg and not Terran so my opinion is biased, but I think it's fair to say that turtling is pretty easy in general. That implies that this strategy is fairly easy to execute.

How hard is it for Zerg to attack a turtling max upgraded Terran mech build? Clearly the evidence suggests that it is very difficult to do so. Thus, the strategy is fairly hard to counter.

Easy to execute, hard to counter, therefore there is a problem.



I don't believe it is as easy as you think to have a perfect defense against everything a zerg can do in 10 minutes AND take your natural. Mech is not viable without an expo, so the terran need an expo. Several maps have more than one entrance to the base as well.

There are many games where easy strategies are hard to counter, but it doesn't seem to muck the balance too much. Then again, the potency of those strategies is variable depending on the execution as well.
guitarizt
Profile Blog Joined March 2009
United States1492 Posts
June 03 2010 20:26 GMT
#554
They should make drones half a food count because there's so many games I've lost where I have like 80-90 drones and a million bases and terran still comes and rapes me and my army feels like nothing even though I'm maxed. I lose half my food count and terran's goes down like 20-30. If all my units are gonna snap die at least let me make more of them at once so I can possibly do some kind of damage if I have twice the econ of terran late game.
“There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.” - Hemingway
shiftY803
Profile Joined April 2010
200 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-06-03 20:50:29
June 03 2010 20:35 GMT
#555
I don't believe it is as easy as you think to have a perfect defense against everything a zerg can do in 10 minutes AND take your natural. Mech is not viable without an expo, so the terran need an expo. Several maps have more than one entrance to the base as well.

There are many games where easy strategies are hard to counter, but it doesn't seem to muck the balance too much. Then again, the potency of those strategies is variable depending on the execution as well.


I think TLOs sling/infestor build is a perfect example of this. It can be a nightmare on maps like desert oasis and blistering sands, for obvious reasons. See the series versus NonY in HDH.

On the other hand, he was unable to effectively use it against HuK on LT in a game I just watched last night. In case nobody has seen it, HuK basically fends off constant attempts to ling stab and a nidus worm attack, while teching to colossus. Once the colo is out, he pushes TLOs bases with unstoppable force. Lings do not counter zealots, sentries, and colossus.

With no terrain to abuse (destructible rocks, long distance between main and natural, etc), the build basically depends on the opposing player making a blunder. A build that depends on the Toss opponent making a mistake [on certain maps] is probably not a good standard build.

That is why I am extremely curious to see TLOs anti-mech strategy applied against Terran on a variety of maps.
live without appeal. ~ camus
Morayfire73
Profile Joined April 2010
United States298 Posts
June 03 2010 20:40 GMT
#556
I don't think that removing the AI in this case would totally fix the problem. The new splash mechanic also contributes to the potency of siege tanks, and I don't think that their damage has been adjusted to these two buffs. So I think that instead of removing this AI, that if you nerf the damage that tanks get from upgrades, it would make 3/3 mech beatable.
[Insert witty comment here]
Talic_Zealot
Profile Blog Joined February 2010
688 Posts
June 03 2010 20:42 GMT
#557
I don't mean to disrespect anyone, but I still think that this early after the changes that made mech stronger people should try fixing the issue by trying harder to beat it and be more creative, not complaining.
There are three types of people in the universe: those who can count, and those who cant.
EccoEcco
Profile Joined May 2010
United States61 Posts
June 03 2010 20:50 GMT
#558
I think proposing a change to tank A.I. is a backwards approach to the issue. I could see changing the food cost of tanks, or doing something more subtle like reducing the splash radius on Thors, but if the match-up really is broken (which I would say needs to be determined by meta data and not by anecdotal replays), I'd imagine the most likely solution is an update to Zerg casting since that seems to have been the factor most in flux for much of the beta.
There is a reward for losing: an opportunity to learn and improve.
iEchoic
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
United States1776 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-06-03 20:52:40
June 03 2010 20:52 GMT
#559
On June 04 2010 04:49 Uthgar wrote:
I don't want to disrespect players who are better than me, but I have to say I dislike this attitude. Its akin to that of a spoiled brat.


Exactly.

Pro players don't have that much swagger in this argument because they're still 1a-ing into opponent's armies. When is the last time you saw a pro player split his units up against siege tanks or mutas vs thors? Never. In a few months, we'll start to see that stuff emerge, but right now, nobody has the skill to do it.

Even the pro-level players still have a lot of improvement to do before mistakes have been minimized enough to comment seriously on game balance. When not a single person on the game tries to split units up against tanks or thors it's hard to make judgments on the strength of mech.
vileEchoic -- clanvile.com
Logo
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States7542 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-06-03 20:56:33
June 03 2010 20:55 GMT
#560
I wonder what Tanks being affected by PDD would do for the game. TvT is already really tank focused so such a change would mix that up for the better perhaps. ZvT it would make burrow roaches and Infestors more viable; if you bring out a Raven for detection then you're at risk of it being NPed and putting out a PDD letting ground units overwhelm your tanks more easily (but not 100%). Could be an interesting way to make the change without making a massive upset to balance.
Logo
Prev 1 26 27 28 29 30 45 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Replay Cast
08:00
Continental Nation League S1
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
RuFF_SC2 215
ProTech126
StarCraft: Brood War
Dewaltoss 187
Terrorterran 17
Bale 15
Noble 4
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm218
League of Legends
Doublelift6151
JimRising 786
Counter-Strike
taco 318
Other Games
summit1g12039
C9.Mang0375
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick1232
BasetradeTV165
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream45
[ Show 11 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Letter144
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Pr0nogo 6
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Lourlo291
Upcoming Events
Afreeca Starleague
7h 3m
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
8h 3m
Monday Night Weeklies
13h 3m
Replay Cast
20h 3m
Afreeca Starleague
1d 7h
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
1d 8h
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
1d 21h
The PondCast
3 days
INu's Battles
3 days
Replay Cast
4 days
[ Show More ]
BSL: Ladder Tournament
5 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6 days
Patches Events
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.