• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 19:14
CEST 01:14
KST 08:14
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)75Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups?
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Sagi.gg Launcher Released Bot on ladder 20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ Fantasy returning?
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Nintendo Switch Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Dating: How's your luck? Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9299 users

TL Fitness Initiative (Weight Loss/Gain) - Page 73

Forum Index > Sports
Post a Reply
Prev 1 71 72 73 74 75 119 Next
jfazz
Profile Joined September 2009
Australia672 Posts
October 11 2009 08:33 GMT
#1441
Well done Kwark, congrats!

Aim to improve bit by bit, good luck!
Victory needs no explanation, defeat allows none
madnessman
Profile Blog Joined May 2009
United States1581 Posts
October 11 2009 08:37 GMT
#1442
Just wondering... what is your resting heart rate? I find that my heart rate (when I'm sitting in front of the computer doing stuff) is around 60-61 BPM consistently which is disappointingly high for me. I was hoping that I'd be in the 40-50s. And is it normal for my heart rate to sky rocket during exercise? I've used to train with a coach who forced me to maintain a HR of 180 or above during the main set of swim practice (and I would frequently get over 190). So I know that I have a relatively high max HR but when I just jump in the water and do like 1 lap my HR doubles to 120.

GJ Kwark. why did you have to do a fitness test?
KwarK
Profile Blog Joined July 2006
United States44361 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-10-11 08:47:11
October 11 2009 08:45 GMT
#1443
Applying for a branch of the army in which you study as a normal student but do training on weekends and some evenings. You get paid decent money for it, the skills are applicable in life outside the army and there is no commitment to join after you graduate. If you do join up though you get fast-tracked officer promotion because of the extra years of training so it's a great deal.
ModeratorThe angels have the phone box
Energies
Profile Blog Joined September 2003
Australia3225 Posts
October 11 2009 08:51 GMT
#1444
Just got back from the chemist, bought some VitD, I couldn't find anything with more than 1000IU per gel cap. I bought the 250 capsule version. (wasn't cheap mind you. $40).

I am going to do a bit more research, but the recommended dose on the pack is 1 pill per day with food, it is just hard to get my head around taking 10x the recommendation.

I think I might start with 5000IU a day for the next month and report the results.
"Everybody wanna be a bodybuilder but dont nobody wanna lift no heavy ass weight" - Ronnie Coleman.
madnessman
Profile Blog Joined May 2009
United States1581 Posts
October 11 2009 09:01 GMT
#1445
On October 11 2009 08:50 eshlow wrote:
As you guys know, I've recently been harping on Vitamin D a lot. Finally wrote up an article on this (with studies) so you guys know why I am saying take VitD for this or for that or for whatever.

Keep in mind that most people are deficient so getting out in the sun, better diet or supplementation to bring levels up will show significant benefits to health and athletic performance.

http://www.eatmoveimprove.com/2009/10/a-closer-look-at-vitamin-d/


Do you recommend that everybody takes supplements? I prefer getting my nutrients naturally. So would being out in the sun more+eating fish be good enough?
jfazz
Profile Joined September 2009
Australia672 Posts
October 11 2009 09:58 GMT
#1446
just tested by resting heart rate three times for 54-55-53; so about 54BPM I guess. Yay?
Victory needs no explanation, defeat allows none
RowdierBob
Profile Blog Joined May 2003
Australia13528 Posts
October 11 2009 13:19 GMT
#1447
A resting heartbeat somewhere between 50-80 is fairly normal.
"Terrans are pretty much space-Australians" - H
madnessman
Profile Blog Joined May 2009
United States1581 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-10-11 13:53:10
October 11 2009 13:43 GMT
#1448
yeah but i want to be one those triathlon pros who have like HRs of 40-50 (one tri champion had a resting HR of like 34)... it's just a weird hting of mine i guess.
eshlow
Profile Joined June 2008
United States5210 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-10-11 15:51:28
October 11 2009 15:50 GMT
#1449
On October 11 2009 18:01 madnessman wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 11 2009 08:50 eshlow wrote:
As you guys know, I've recently been harping on Vitamin D a lot. Finally wrote up an article on this (with studies) so you guys know why I am saying take VitD for this or for that or for whatever.

Keep in mind that most people are deficient so getting out in the sun, better diet or supplementation to bring levels up will show significant benefits to health and athletic performance.

http://www.eatmoveimprove.com/2009/10/a-closer-look-at-vitamin-d/


Do you recommend that everybody takes supplements? I prefer getting my nutrients naturally. So would being out in the sun more+eating fish be good enough?


I definitely think it's better to take stuff naturally in pretty much all cases if possible. Nutrients absorb MUCH better when they are in natural foods because that's how our digestive systems have evolved to work.

It's just an alternative for those who don't have the money to buy fish (supplementing D is cheaper, although fish oil is more expensive) and don't get outside much.

For all you who didn't read this before, you should read it now:
http://www.eatmoveimprove.com/2009/10/a-closer-look-at-vitamin-d/

On October 11 2009 17:51 Energies wrote:
Just got back from the chemist, bought some VitD, I couldn't find anything with more than 1000IU per gel cap. I bought the 250 capsule version. (wasn't cheap mind you. $40).

I am going to do a bit more research, but the recommended dose on the pack is 1 pill per day with food, it is just hard to get my head around taking 10x the recommendation.

I think I might start with 5000IU a day for the next month and report the results.


Haha, sounds ok.

The one you bought is REALLY expensive though. 62.5 IU/cent
The one I recommended in the article is 1200 IU/cent without the discount (although I don't know if they ship to Australia...)

Like I said 5,000 IU is good to start if you're worried about the 10,000.

Also, I would suggest taking it post workout with a bit of fat and your regular post workout foods/shake. You may see some cooler effects like I did.

-----------------------------------------


Resting heart rate is normally like someone said about 50-80 BPM. I've seen people with down in the low 30-40s, but they were advanced/elite endurance athletes. Normally it tends to drop as you get older, and get more cardiovascularly fit.

I'm just normally on the high side at around 65-70 all the time. Shrug.

As far as heart rate during exercise goes, that depends a lot on the person. There's no real set thing to gauge this. Now, if you're getting chest pain, irregular heart beats, or other weird effects like that then there is something to be worried about. If yours naturally goes up high then I wouldn't worry too much.
Overcoming Gravity: A Systematic Approach to Gymnastics and Bodyweight Strength
KwarK
Profile Blog Joined July 2006
United States44361 Posts
October 11 2009 16:24 GMT
#1450
My sister has a resting heart rate in the low 30s. Doctors spent ages trying to work out what was wrong with her but couldn't find anything so decided she was probably okay because it wasn't adversely effecting her life. Although she does black out a lot.
ModeratorThe angels have the phone box
eshlow
Profile Joined June 2008
United States5210 Posts
October 11 2009 17:58 GMT
#1451
On October 12 2009 01:24 Kwark wrote:
My sister has a resting heart rate in the low 30s. Doctors spent ages trying to work out what was wrong with her but couldn't find anything so decided she was probably okay because it wasn't adversely effecting her life. Although she does black out a lot.


Yeah, if your heart beats really slow you generally have lower blood pressure.

That kinda sucks if your normal heart beat is really slow. Hydrate properly + eat some salty food should help increase BP some.
Overcoming Gravity: A Systematic Approach to Gymnastics and Bodyweight Strength
Elegance
Profile Blog Joined February 2009
Canada917 Posts
October 11 2009 18:23 GMT
#1452
Hey guys, i need some advice on gaining weight. I am currently 17 years old, 6"0 and 135 pounds. I eat a lot, yet im showing no signs of gaining weight. I should work out, but i dont really know how to get started. thanks.
Power of Ze
eshlow
Profile Joined June 2008
United States5210 Posts
October 11 2009 18:38 GMT
#1453
On October 12 2009 03:23 Elegance wrote:
Hey guys, i need some advice on gaining weight. I am currently 17 years old, 6"0 and 135 pounds. I eat a lot, yet im showing no signs of gaining weight. I should work out, but i dont really know how to get started. thanks.


Starting strength (suggest you get the book though):
http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/Starting_Strength_Wiki

Also, you need to eat more. Weight is ALL about eating more.

You think you're eating a lot, but if you're not gaining weight you are not eating a lot.

Unless you have thyroid issues which is <99.99% of the time.
Overcoming Gravity: A Systematic Approach to Gymnastics and Bodyweight Strength
zizou21
Profile Joined September 2006
United States3683 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-10-11 20:06:34
October 11 2009 19:51 GMT
#1454
Well its starting to be freezing as fuck everyday so I think imma take a break. Too poor to get gym membership. See u guys next spring B)

prob around my peak this year:
+ Show Spoiler +

[image loading]

its me, tasteless,s roomate LOL!
Patriot.dlk
Profile Blog Joined October 2004
Sweden5462 Posts
October 11 2009 23:25 GMT
#1455
Hey guys! Here's an update in my status and quite a few questions:

Goal was to reach 165 lbs and increase muscles, this is mission complete a long time ago. I feel different and I look different. INew goal is to get a 6 pack and to bench press my own weight (might take years but I can wait)

Now, questions:

1. every set has 7-10 reps. Bench press with just the bar x10, then with 30 kg, then with 50kg (my max) 50 kg again (or less If i can't take it) and one last set with maybe 30 kg or more depending on how i'm feeling.

This gives me very little or no DOMS at all. A while back I felt it for 2-3 days. I assume this means I got to do other exercises that actives the same muscles? Squats for example gets me every time.

2. Food. I want protein I don't want any kind of supplements if I can avoid it. Why? Because I love to shop, prepare and eat food and a few other reasons. I've read a formula several times that suggests 1.4 to 3.3 g of protein per kg of body weight per day (0.6 to 1.5 g per pound) and I can't translate that into food even if I stretch it.

Basically since my weight is 75 kg it means I have to eat 250 g protein a day but I can't picture those meals?

breakfast ~ 30g
Lunch ~ 50g
snack ~ 10g
dinner ~ 50g
snack ~10g

Snacks are usually fruit, sandwich or salad depending on appetite and I consider above estimates to be best case scenario. What could I change?

3. I often wake up and drink water and have a grape or something just to get rid of the dry sensation in my mouth and then I go straight for the gym. I eat about 2 hours later (Get to the gym and get ready 10 minutes - exercise 1.5 hours + and then shower and go home).

I'm thinking this is a good ritual since I have a good appetite when I come home and I digest the food well and I'm hungry again about 3 hours later?

4. I sometimes feel very ill if I eat suggerish stuff like a candy bar or a jam sandwich if I exercied that day... Almost like my body can't stand sugar at all because I exercised... I don't know it's weird. I'm addicted to sugar and I can't help myself sometimes (even though I've cut down on sugar like 1000%) and what's even more weird, sometimes I find myself being repulsed by anything sweet for a few days, just totally not in a mood, not even my favorite candy?
eMbrace
Profile Blog Joined January 2009
United States1300 Posts
October 11 2009 23:45 GMT
#1456
Sugar is good for you, I drink shitloads of chocolate milk after I work out. It also has lots of protein in it. your body actually wants sugar after workouts.

that doesn't mean eat cake, but something like milk is perfect.

Drink milk all day IMO.

as for your bench, don't wear yourself out with the warmup that much. do a few reps with a light weight, and then do 3 sets, maybe 5 reps each of like 40-45kg.

and if you struggle, you should have a spotter there to make you finish it. as long as you have a little strength left, your spotter should very slowly help you raise the bar and make sure you work for it.








Patriot.dlk
Profile Blog Joined October 2004
Sweden5462 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-10-11 23:56:01
October 11 2009 23:55 GMT
#1457
Well, Even though I lost weight I still have an ugly as belly (especially sitting down) and I want to lose fat, hence I try to cut sugar
eMbrace
Profile Blog Joined January 2009
United States1300 Posts
October 11 2009 23:59 GMT
#1458
On October 12 2009 08:55 Patriot.dlk wrote:
Well, Even though I lost weight I still have an ugly as belly (especially sitting down) and I want to lose fat, hence I try to cut sugar


oh, yeah i'm more experienced with gaining weight =/

cardio works wonders though, are you doing that everyday?


Patriot.dlk
Profile Blog Joined October 2004
Sweden5462 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-10-12 00:07:51
October 12 2009 00:05 GMT
#1459
I do cardio at the gym 3 times a week. crosstrainer for 30 minutes.

Started on lvl 1 all the way now im using lvl 7. I realize this is a weak measurement but anyway that way it's still a challenge for me.

Once a week I run / walk for about 40-45 minutes and sometimes I take long fast paced walks for 40 minutes or so.

edit: the days I do cardio at the gym I always do weights afterwards for at least one hour.
eMbrace
Profile Blog Joined January 2009
United States1300 Posts
October 12 2009 00:14 GMT
#1460
Hmm, well a good diet is very important to losing stomach fat, as well as tons of cardio.

i also highly recommend swimming laps as it is great for your entire body, and DDR is great cardio and great for your abs (it's also really fun) =p
Prev 1 71 72 73 74 75 119 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 46m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
Nathanias 98
Nina 21
StarCraft: Brood War
Artosis 557
910 35
MaD[AoV]27
Bale 15
League of Legends
JimRising 666
Counter-Strike
Fnx 659
minikerr6
Super Smash Bros
hungrybox580
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby3809
Other Games
summit1g8801
shahzam421
C9.Mang0300
Day[9].tv218
Trikslyr45
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick323
BasetradeTV215
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream19
[ Show 12 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• davetesta41
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Other Games
• imaqtpie882
• Shiphtur550
• Day9tv218
Upcoming Events
PiGosaur Cup
46m
Patches Events
16h 46m
The PondCast
1d 10h
INu's Battles
1d 11h
Percival vs SHIN
Zoun vs herO
OSC
1d 23h
Replay Cast
1d 23h
OSC
2 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
3 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
4 days
Patches Events
4 days
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
WardiTV Weekly
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.