• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 02:26
CEST 08:26
KST 15:26
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)73Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4) StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups?
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft Sagi.gg Launcher Released Fantasy returning? BSL Season 23 Bot on ladder
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Artificial Intelligence Thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Canadian Politics Mega-thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9579 users

TL Fitness Initiative (Weight Loss/Gain) - Page 61

Forum Index > Sports
Post a Reply
Prev 1 59 60 61 62 63 119 Next
Amber[LighT]
Profile Blog Joined June 2005
United States5078 Posts
September 21 2009 14:04 GMT
#1201
On September 21 2009 10:35 jfazz wrote:
CURRENT RESULTS, 21st SEPTEMBER

Here is my first progress report! Below are my current body measurements, what improvement there has been, and what the goal is. The format is current, (starting) and [goal]

Weight: 68kg (62kg) [70kg]
Chest: 94cm (84cm) [102cm]
Waist: 70cm (65cm) [68cm]
Bicep (unflexed): 28cm (25cm) [35cm]
Neck: 35cm (33cm) [37cm]

Short term goals:
1) increase the amount of food I am eating to at least 3000 calories a day - I am not doing this with enough regularity, and this is likely slowling my growth significantly
2) increase the intensity of my abs workouts, from 2 x 25 for frontal crunches and oblique crunches, to 3 x 25 for all (this will kill me im sure)
3) move up on my barbell curve and preacher curl weights (from 35kg to 40kg and 7.5kg to 10kg respectively)
4) increase the weight of my raises (frontal, bent over and lateral) to 7.5kg each, from 5kg
5) increase the weight on my lunges to 7.5kg from 5kg

Ill let you know how it goes!


wtf you only have a 9 inch bicep unflexed? :O

I may as well post an update since my last post...

Current Weight: 170 lbs (trying to maintain it between here and 175)
*I believe I still only have about 10%-12% body fat, but I'm not sure I can't do that myself.

I have been lifting more at the gym. I'd say since the summer I've made increases between 15-25 lbs on average. Hoping to keep that up. I gotta step it up with the cardio and work on abs more.
"We have unfinished business, I and he."
jfazz
Profile Joined September 2009
Australia672 Posts
September 21 2009 14:56 GMT
#1202
Ah, 28cm is 11 inches, more or less exactly. Im not sure what your point is anyway - I have mentioned several times previously its an area I am not having terrific results in and would like to try harder at improving.

Victory needs no explanation, defeat allows none
NeverGG *
Profile Blog Joined January 2008
United Kingdom5399 Posts
September 21 2009 22:43 GMT
#1203
I'm happy to say I had to go shopping for new jeans with Susie the other day. I've gone down a whole size
우리 행운의 모양은 여러개지만 행복의 모양은 하나
iSiN
Profile Blog Joined March 2009
United States1075 Posts
September 21 2009 22:53 GMT
#1204
Congrats never!!!!! Keep working for your goal
Grouty @HoN/PCKJ <--<333 || Jaedong Fan Cafe GFX
eMbrace
Profile Blog Joined January 2009
United States1300 Posts
September 21 2009 22:58 GMT
#1205
trying to get at least a gram of protein per pound of bodyweight on my workout days



i'm gonna tear myself apart at the gym today
Deleted User 3420
Profile Blog Joined May 2003
24492 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-09-21 23:25:21
September 21 2009 23:13 GMT
#1206
hey eshlow(or anyone else i suppose) what's your take on my hangboard workout here. all the hanging is from jugs or harder so in some ways it's probably a little harder than doing it from a bar, can't wrap my fingers around the jugs)

it's for general fitness for climbing, i'd like to improve in all areas really (upper body strength, anaerobic/strength endurance, grip strength)

my workout varies but today it was:

I do a solid 10-15 min warmup and then:


(30-60 second break between sets)

L-sit for time (like 10 seconds)
advanced tuck front lever hold(like 25-30 seconds)
L-sit
tuck front lever
L-sit
tuck front lever

then I do chinup grip hold from slopers (much harder to hang from than a bar). and from this position I do 7 raises of my knees to meeting my elbows (actually I go slightly higher up than that)

I do 3 sets of this


then, I did the following:
going from deadhang up to top of pullup position, locking off there for 5 seconds, coming down with 1 hand, grabbing back on with other hand, going up to the 5 second lockoff, back down other hand, back up, lock off, back down 1 hand, back up, lock off 5 seconds, and then 1 more time

I do 3 sets of that

then I did deadhangs for time, about 50 seconds each from the jugs. 3 sets of those

and then sometimes I'll do hangs from various grips after that, but my forearms were too pumped this time




most days I do the same workout, but the deadhangs / lockoffs change. sometimes I do 1 arm assisted pullups, sometimes I do traversing from grip to grip, sometimes I do 1arm deadhangs, and sometimes I do like a pyramid of pullups

any advice u can offer? it seems like my anaerobic and muscular endurance are going through the roof, but my strength isn't improving much
NeverGG *
Profile Blog Joined January 2008
United Kingdom5399 Posts
September 22 2009 00:29 GMT
#1207
On September 22 2009 07:53 iSiN wrote:
Congrats never!!!!! Keep working for your goal


Thanks I'm taking dieting advice from my Mother now over the phone because she's very good at healthy cooking (being a veggie and all.) plus she also lost a lot of weight a few years back and has stayed slim since.
우리 행운의 모양은 여러개지만 행복의 모양은 하나
StartAgain
Profile Blog Joined August 2009
Japan52 Posts
September 22 2009 00:34 GMT
#1208
mind sharing?
i need to eat a healthier diet.
need a lower bf %...right now i have around 14 -_
JeeJee
Profile Blog Joined July 2003
Canada5652 Posts
September 22 2009 00:49 GMT
#1209
i randomly decided to try this fitness thing.. i don't really have any goals, just doing it for fun. i used to run long distance before, that was pretty much the extent of my fitness experience. i'm skinny, could use to gain 10-15lb i guess, but not a priority (it's low cause of running i think)

anyway i'm doing shaun t's insanity program atm. it's probably the only program i can actually stick with cos i'm too lazy for weights.. the cardio is pretty intense and leaves me in a heap every time, which was a big surprise. i didn't expect cardio would be holding me back in any of the exercises at all heh. The exercises are absolute killer too, have been sore since i started pretty much lolol. i'm gaining weight too for whatever reason, i guess that's nice.

just wanted to pitch in here est. completion date, nov 15. would be interesting to compare before/after pics if i manage to finish.
(\o/)  If you want it, you find a way. Otherwise you find excuses. No exceptions.
 /_\   aka Shinbi (requesting a name change since 27/05/09 ☺)
jfazz
Profile Joined September 2009
Australia672 Posts
September 22 2009 02:55 GMT
#1210
Good luck JeeJee!

Well done NeverGG, glad to see the diet is working. A whole size is a LOT. Have you started your weights? Keep it up.

I actually managed to eat 3000 calories yesterday...boy did I feel sick eating soo much...
Victory needs no explanation, defeat allows none
Amnesia
Profile Blog Joined September 2009
United States3818 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-09-22 02:58:22
September 22 2009 02:57 GMT
#1211
NeverGG just curious. What is your starting and goal? Great job though, a pants size is really big.

Hrm. My goal by the end is to get a 28-29 waste, and for fuck's sake, grow! I know this is a weight loss/gain thread but really, is there any way I can grow? Most days of the week I go to bed early. However, that may not be easy since I have exams and homework which occupy most of my time after classes. I'm 5'7/8

Currently I weigh in at 147 pounds. My goal would be to get a toned upper body and abs. Will that happen? I hope so. I am really dedicated now. If anyone wants to be a "partner" so we keep each other in check, I wouldn't mind.
NeverGG *
Profile Blog Joined January 2008
United Kingdom5399 Posts
September 22 2009 03:15 GMT
#1212
@jfazz and SoMuchSoul - Thanks. I'm going to start them this week once I go buy them from E-Mart. My starting was 83.6kg and my goal is about 65kg. I've lost about an inch on my waist if the sizing here is anything to go by. I think it's been the total diet change and cold turkey on junk food which has done it. I actually don't miss it too much.
우리 행운의 모양은 여러개지만 행복의 모양은 하나
eshlow
Profile Joined June 2008
United States5210 Posts
September 22 2009 03:37 GMT
#1213
On September 22 2009 08:13 travis wrote:
hey eshlow(or anyone else i suppose) what's your take on my hangboard workout here. all the hanging is from jugs or harder so in some ways it's probably a little harder than doing it from a bar, can't wrap my fingers around the jugs)

it's for general fitness for climbing, i'd like to improve in all areas really (upper body strength, anaerobic/strength endurance, grip strength)

my workout varies but today it was:

I do a solid 10-15 min warmup and then:


(30-60 second break between sets)

L-sit for time (like 10 seconds)
advanced tuck front lever hold(like 25-30 seconds)
L-sit
tuck front lever
L-sit
tuck front lever

then I do chinup grip hold from slopers (much harder to hang from than a bar). and from this position I do 7 raises of my knees to meeting my elbows (actually I go slightly higher up than that)

I do 3 sets of this


then, I did the following:
going from deadhang up to top of pullup position, locking off there for 5 seconds, coming down with 1 hand, grabbing back on with other hand, going up to the 5 second lockoff, back down other hand, back up, lock off, back down 1 hand, back up, lock off 5 seconds, and then 1 more time

I do 3 sets of that

then I did deadhangs for time, about 50 seconds each from the jugs. 3 sets of those

and then sometimes I'll do hangs from various grips after that, but my forearms were too pumped this time


most days I do the same workout, but the deadhangs / lockoffs change. sometimes I do 1 arm assisted pullups, sometimes I do traversing from grip to grip, sometimes I do 1arm deadhangs, and sometimes I do like a pyramid of pullups

any advice u can offer? it seems like my anaerobic and muscular endurance are going through the roof, but my strength isn't improving much


Well, looks like most of your work is endurance.

If you wanna do more strength you gotta focus on the OAC negatives, assisted OAC, weighted pullups and stuff like that. Excessive amounts of lockoffs >15-20s per set as well as ladders and such are mostly endurance work.

Also, you need to move to a harder progression of front lever.

You do any pushing work as well? Looks like all pulling..
Overcoming Gravity: A Systematic Approach to Gymnastics and Bodyweight Strength
jfazz
Profile Joined September 2009
Australia672 Posts
September 22 2009 04:05 GMT
#1214
Id be happy to partner with you SoMuchSoul. Sounds like you are really eager to get fit! Exciting! What is your planned work out routine?

I just did my cardio+abs session, and it feels like I went hald a round with Fedor Emelianko himself (before being arm-bared of course).

Time to water guzzle I think.
Victory needs no explanation, defeat allows none
eMbrace
Profile Blog Joined January 2009
United States1300 Posts
September 22 2009 06:24 GMT
#1215
i'm trying to switch to mainly compound exercises as I've been doing mainly isolations ever since I started working out

gym was really crowded so for my biccept/back day I just did barbell rows (using dumbbells as substitutes) and a shit load of pullups (regular overhand and close-grip).

then I just finished with an isolation bicept exercise because it felt wrong not doing it =/


definitely sweated more than I usually do, but i have a question:

I used to assign triceps/shoulders to one day, but if I'm switching to compound exercises, should I just include triceps/chest/shoulder all on the same day?

madnessman
Profile Blog Joined May 2009
United States1581 Posts
September 22 2009 15:20 GMT
#1216
ARGH! SHIN SPLINTS! i'm replacing my wednesday easy run with swimming stuff.
eshlow
Profile Joined June 2008
United States5210 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-09-22 17:15:49
September 22 2009 17:15 GMT
#1217
On September 22 2009 15:24 eMbrace wrote:
i'm trying to switch to mainly compound exercises as I've been doing mainly isolations ever since I started working out

gym was really crowded so for my biccept/back day I just did barbell rows (using dumbbells as substitutes) and a shit load of pullups (regular overhand and close-grip).

then I just finished with an isolation bicept exercise because it felt wrong not doing it =/


definitely sweated more than I usually do, but i have a question:

I used to assign triceps/shoulders to one day, but if I'm switching to compound exercises, should I just include triceps/chest/shoulder all on the same day?



Usually with compounds you do:

full body or upper/lower or push/pull

(squats would be a push, deadlifts are a pull, any of the olympic lifts are pulls, pushing generally uses chest/tris, pulling is back/bis).

The reason as fairly new trainees you don't want to split them up is because the more frequent stimulus on your muscles the quicker you adapt because your body can handle adapting to weight each and every workout.

At your stage I'd drop the compounds and do a full body routine. But that's up to you.


+ Show Spoiler +
Basically, this study here:

http://apt.allenpress.com/perlserv/?request=get-abstract&doi=10.1519/1533-4287(2000)014[0273%3ACODADP]2.0.CO%3B2&ct=1

Shows that training muscles 3x a week is better than 1x a week. Hence, why a program like Starting Strength where you're squatting 3x a week is INSANE for getting stronger and building mass.

Pure splits like back/bis, chest/tris, etc. are better for advanced/elite people who can't get enough volume in a session if they split it up among lots of exercises OR they need the recovery for more sports specific activities.

The fact that most of the elite BBers do splits is not a good reason for your average novice/intermediate to do splits.
Overcoming Gravity: A Systematic Approach to Gymnastics and Bodyweight Strength
eMbrace
Profile Blog Joined January 2009
United States1300 Posts
September 22 2009 21:30 GMT
#1218
On September 23 2009 02:15 eshlow wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 22 2009 15:24 eMbrace wrote:
i'm trying to switch to mainly compound exercises as I've been doing mainly isolations ever since I started working out

gym was really crowded so for my biccept/back day I just did barbell rows (using dumbbells as substitutes) and a shit load of pullups (regular overhand and close-grip).

then I just finished with an isolation bicept exercise because it felt wrong not doing it =/


definitely sweated more than I usually do, but i have a question:

I used to assign triceps/shoulders to one day, but if I'm switching to compound exercises, should I just include triceps/chest/shoulder all on the same day?



Usually with compounds you do:

full body or upper/lower or push/pull

(squats would be a push, deadlifts are a pull, any of the olympic lifts are pulls, pushing generally uses chest/tris, pulling is back/bis).

The reason as fairly new trainees you don't want to split them up is because the more frequent stimulus on your muscles the quicker you adapt because your body can handle adapting to weight each and every workout.

At your stage I'd drop the compounds and do a full body routine. But that's up to you.


+ Show Spoiler +
Basically, this study here:

http://apt.allenpress.com/perlserv/?request=get-abstract&doi=10.1519/1533-4287(2000)014[0273%3ACODADP]2.0.CO%3B2&ct=1

Shows that training muscles 3x a week is better than 1x a week. Hence, why a program like Starting Strength where you're squatting 3x a week is INSANE for getting stronger and building mass.

Pure splits like back/bis, chest/tris, etc. are better for advanced/elite people who can't get enough volume in a session if they split it up among lots of exercises OR they need the recovery for more sports specific activities.

The fact that most of the elite BBers do splits is not a good reason for your average novice/intermediate to do splits.


so workout all muscles groups in one day? 3x a week?

hmm..

I think I'm actually going edit my old workout routine to include exercises that are more demanding of the whole body(as you've advised), while still keeping an emphasis on a certain couple of muscle groups via isolations (where I will increase weight and do fewer reps, and add more variety to the types of exercises).

i say this because I'm merely trying to gain 5 pounds, and I already lift very well for my weight (115). So with the advice about getting more calories and packing in huge amounts of protein, I think I can gain the slight amount of muscle mass I want (considering my old workout plan has worked very well up to now).

i'm only 5'5, and I doubt I'll be much taller as I'm already 19 -- so I'm not trying to get huge and look like a dwarf =p


thanks for all the help, if things don't work out in a couple of months i'll definitely look into more a more dedicated routine like the one you advised.




eshlow
Profile Joined June 2008
United States5210 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-09-22 23:51:36
September 22 2009 23:51 GMT
#1219
Dude, you're 5'5" 115.. pretty scrawny. Add like 20-30 lbs of mass! AT LEAST.
Overcoming Gravity: A Systematic Approach to Gymnastics and Bodyweight Strength
eMbrace
Profile Blog Joined January 2009
United States1300 Posts
September 22 2009 23:59 GMT
#1220
On September 23 2009 08:51 eshlow wrote:
Dude, you're 5'5" 115.. pretty scrawny. Add like 20-30 lbs of mass! AT LEAST.


lol yeah, I just feel I don't need to be that huge i guess

maybe I should take some 'before' photos now to explain what i mean.


Prev 1 59 60 61 62 63 119 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 3h 34m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft: Brood War
GuemChi 1021
910 108
Hyun 68
NotJumperer 45
Bale 34
sorry 25
Noble 11
ajuk12(nOOB) 7
Britney 0
Dota 2
febbydoto219
League of Legends
JimRising 610
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King137
Other Games
summit1g6843
Coldzera 719
WinterStarcraft388
C9.Mang0234
ceh9232
NeuroSwarm108
ViBE32
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick609
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream38
[ Show 14 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• practicex 31
• Letter146
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2246
League of Legends
• Rush1181
• Lourlo1032
• Stunt364
Upcoming Events
Afreeca Starleague
3h 34m
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
4h 34m
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
17h 34m
Patches Events
1d 9h
The PondCast
2 days
INu's Battles
2 days
Percival vs TBD
TBD vs herO
OSC
2 days
Replay Cast
2 days
OSC
3 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
4 days
[ Show More ]
Sparkling Tuna Cup
5 days
Patches Events
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.