• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 00:05
CEST 06:05
KST 13:05
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)26Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder BW General Discussion a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing Where can I find Flash replays that work? Official StarCraft website teases new content ahead of BlizzCon?
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread All you football fans (soccer)! Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8280 users

TL Fitness Initiative (Weight Loss/Gain) - Page 45

Forum Index > Sports
Post a Reply
Prev 1 43 44 45 46 47 119 Next
thedeadhaji *
Profile Blog Joined January 2006
39489 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-07-18 12:55:40
July 18 2009 12:53 GMT
#881
pretty sure being inflexible leads to injuries, particularly if you play sports. Also, if you do rowing / golf or other sports that really require holding postures through an "athletic motion", inflexibility actually prevents you from making the proper motions (a rowing stroke, a golf swing, etc)

some quick tips would be "holding" the position for at least 15 seconds (instead of "bouncing"). Usually better to stretch after a workout than before, as exercise loosens out the muscles, and stretching afterwards allows your range to increase. Btw if you stretch for UNDER 10 seconds the muscles just go back to exactly where they were at before - but if you hold it for longer, they start to "deform" and stretch (if you're an engineer, plasticity may ring a bell)

Basically, if you do the 'reach for the toes' thing, have your toes pointed parallel and forward, prolly a lil less than shoulder width apart. Reach down by bending at your hips and NOT bending the back. Also keep the knees fairly straight (but not locked iirc). Go as far as you can w/o too much pain, hold for at least 15 seconds, then take a deep breath in, then out, and as you exhale, reach a lil' bit further. Hold again for 15 seconds, and repeat the breath/going further again for a "3rd extension", hold for like 15-20 seconds, and SLOWLY come back up w/o jerking up.

You can do this for all other stretches, including calf stretches, sideways groin stretches, quads, etc. When doing the leg stretches, make sure that your limps are aligned parallel/perpendicular to your pody, w/o twist or diagonal orientation.

(above is all taken from a professional rowing instructor we worked with briefly)


Also I recommend doing 5 "sun salutations" (yoga) when you wake up. Really wakes your brain up in addition to being a great stretch overall (though not of the mould of what I described above).

Btw zizou I thought you were from France? :O:O
(at least iirc I met you @ paris last yr)
funkie
Profile Blog Joined November 2005
Venezuela9377 Posts
July 18 2009 13:27 GMT
#882
is there any exercise that..will like increase my height (or will help doing so).

I'm starting to go on diet and stuff, and I'm drinking a lot of milk/water.

But I'm wondering if there is such exercise (I'm relatively small )
CJ Entusman #6! · Strength is the basis of athletic ability. -Rippetoe /* http://j.mp/TL-App <- TL iPhone App 2.0! */
eshlow
Profile Joined June 2008
United States5210 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-07-18 17:53:29
July 18 2009 17:51 GMT
#883
On July 18 2009 16:35 zizou21 wrote:
For as long as I can remember, i have been less flexible than everyone I have encountered and I should probably do something about it before i get too old..
Any tips on how to improve flexibility? Maybe do the traditional Touch Your Toes a few times a day? Are there really any major advantages to being flexible? Im in pretty bad shape (i can barely go past the knees rofl?)


PNF - proprioceptive neuromuscular facilitation. Basically helps to reset your resting muscle length. Google for more details.

deadhaji's method also works. If I can't do any PNF I usually just do 30s of stretching... 10s hold, try to push farther, 10s hold, push, 10s hold, stop. Then I do other stretches and then rotate through everything 3 times.


Any stretching done right it hurts like a MFer though. No real stretching isn't at least somewhat "painful" or at least discomforting.
Overcoming Gravity: A Systematic Approach to Gymnastics and Bodyweight Strength
eshlow
Profile Joined June 2008
United States5210 Posts
July 18 2009 17:54 GMT
#884
On July 18 2009 22:27 funkie wrote:
is there any exercise that..will like increase my height (or will help doing so).

I'm starting to go on diet and stuff, and I'm drinking a lot of milk/water.

But I'm wondering if there is such exercise (I'm relatively small )


No.... unless you're a teen in which case lift heavy and EAT A LOT.
Overcoming Gravity: A Systematic Approach to Gymnastics and Bodyweight Strength
psion0011
Profile Joined December 2008
Canada720 Posts
July 18 2009 17:58 GMT
#885
Well I know (older) people who gained 1/2 an inch to an inch after doing deadlifts for a few months because they improved their posture
ishob
Profile Blog Joined May 2006
Norway143 Posts
July 18 2009 18:11 GMT
#886
If you're a teen you shouldn't be lifting heavy at all, that stunts growth.
eshlow
Profile Joined June 2008
United States5210 Posts
July 18 2009 18:12 GMT
#887
On July 19 2009 03:11 ishob wrote:
If you're a teen you shouldn't be lifting heavy at all, that stunts growth.


This is completely wrong.

There are no studies that support this line of thought at all.
Overcoming Gravity: A Systematic Approach to Gymnastics and Bodyweight Strength
psion0011
Profile Joined December 2008
Canada720 Posts
July 18 2009 18:13 GMT
#888
On July 19 2009 03:11 ishob wrote:
If you're a teen you shouldn't be lifting heavy at all, that stunts growth.

Yeah this is complete bullshit.
zizou21
Profile Joined September 2006
United States3683 Posts
July 18 2009 19:10 GMT
#889
On July 18 2009 21:53 thedeadhaji wrote:
pretty sure being inflexible leads to injuries, particularly if you play sports. Also, if you do rowing / golf or other sports that really require holding postures through an "athletic motion", inflexibility actually prevents you from making the proper motions (a rowing stroke, a golf swing, etc)

some quick tips would be "holding" the position for at least 15 seconds (instead of "bouncing"). Usually better to stretch after a workout than before, as exercise loosens out the muscles, and stretching afterwards allows your range to increase. Btw if you stretch for UNDER 10 seconds the muscles just go back to exactly where they were at before - but if you hold it for longer, they start to "deform" and stretch (if you're an engineer, plasticity may ring a bell)

Basically, if you do the 'reach for the toes' thing, have your toes pointed parallel and forward, prolly a lil less than shoulder width apart. Reach down by bending at your hips and NOT bending the back. Also keep the knees fairly straight (but not locked iirc). Go as far as you can w/o too much pain, hold for at least 15 seconds, then take a deep breath in, then out, and as you exhale, reach a lil' bit further. Hold again for 15 seconds, and repeat the breath/going further again for a "3rd extension", hold for like 15-20 seconds, and SLOWLY come back up w/o jerking up.

You can do this for all other stretches, including calf stretches, sideways groin stretches, quads, etc. When doing the leg stretches, make sure that your limps are aligned parallel/perpendicular to your pody, w/o twist or diagonal orientation.

(above is all taken from a professional rowing instructor we worked with briefly)


Also I recommend doing 5 "sun salutations" (yoga) when you wake up. Really wakes your brain up in addition to being a great stretch overall (though not of the mould of what I described above).

Btw zizou I thought you were from France? :O:O
(at least iirc I met you @ paris last yr)


Thx haji, very useful stuff here :D
Yes we met in paris how could I forgot your very generous offer to sneak my little brother in with your pass xD
Yes I am french but I study at Kansas University so I frequently travel back and forth.
its me, tasteless,s roomate LOL!
ishob
Profile Blog Joined May 2006
Norway143 Posts
July 19 2009 02:00 GMT
#890
On July 19 2009 03:13 psion0011 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 19 2009 03:11 ishob wrote:
If you're a teen you shouldn't be lifting heavy at all, that stunts growth.

Yeah this is complete bullshit.


Its not. Every physician and every personal trainer i've ever met has told me the same. I wont take your word over theirs. I was also taught this in university when I studied to be a gym teacher.
psion0011
Profile Joined December 2008
Canada720 Posts
July 19 2009 02:48 GMT
#891
On July 19 2009 11:00 ishob wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 19 2009 03:13 psion0011 wrote:
On July 19 2009 03:11 ishob wrote:
If you're a teen you shouldn't be lifting heavy at all, that stunts growth.

Yeah this is complete bullshit.


Its not. Every physician and every personal trainer i've ever met has told me the same. I wont take your word over theirs. I was also taught this in university when I studied to be a gym teacher.

And I was told by jesus that it's bullshit.

References or get out. Like these.
+ Show Spoiler +

http://coaching.usolympicteam.com/coaching/kpub.nsf/v/4dec06

Faigenbaum, A. & Micheli, L. (1998). Current Content: Youth strength training. Indianapolis, Indiana: American College of Sports Medicine. Retrieved January 31, 2001 from www.acsm.org.

Faigenbaum, A., Kraemer, W., Cahill, B., Chandler, J., Dziados, J., Elfrink,
L., Forman, E., Gaudiose, M., Micheli, L., Nitka, M., & Roberts, S. (1996). Youth resistance training: Position statement paper and literature review. Strength and Conditioning, 18(6), 62-75.

Faigenbaum, A., Westcott, W., Micheli, L., Outerbridge, A., Long, D.,LaRosa-Loud, R., & Zaichkowsky, L. (1996). The effects of strength training and detraining on children. Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research, 10(2), 109-114.

Hamill, B. (1994). Relative safety of weightlifting and weight training. Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research. 8(1), 53-57.

Micheli, L. (1988). Strength training in the young athlete. In E. Brown & C. Branta (Eds.), Competitive Sports for Children and Youth. Champaign, IL: Human Kinetics.

Nádori, L. (1989). Junior weightlifters’ strength-development. In A. Lukácsfalvi & A. Németh-Móra (Eds.), Proceedings of the International Weightlifting Symposium, (pp.57-62). Budapest: International Weightlifting Federation.

Pierce, K., Byrd, R., & Stone, M. (1999). Youth weightlifting - Is it safe? Weightlifting USA, 17(4), 5.

Sewell, L. & Micheli, L. (1986). Strength training for children. Journal of Pediatric Orthopedics, 6, 143-146.
RowdierBob
Profile Blog Joined May 2003
Australia13526 Posts
July 19 2009 03:36 GMT
#892
On July 19 2009 11:00 ishob wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 19 2009 03:13 psion0011 wrote:
On July 19 2009 03:11 ishob wrote:
If you're a teen you shouldn't be lifting heavy at all, that stunts growth.

Yeah this is complete bullshit.


Its not. Every physician and every personal trainer i've ever met has told me the same. I wont take your word over theirs. I was also taught this in university when I studied to be a gym teacher.


Ive been told the same; that you should avoid heavy lifting till 16+
"Terrans are pretty much space-Australians" - H
eshlow
Profile Joined June 2008
United States5210 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-07-19 04:06:01
July 19 2009 04:01 GMT
#893
On July 19 2009 11:00 ishob wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 19 2009 03:13 psion0011 wrote:
On July 19 2009 03:11 ishob wrote:
If you're a teen you shouldn't be lifting heavy at all, that stunts growth.

Yeah this is complete bullshit.


Its not. Every physician and every personal trainer i've ever met has told me the same. I wont take your word over theirs. I was also taught this in university when I studied to be a gym teacher.

On July 19 2009 12:36 RowdierBob wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 19 2009 11:00 ishob wrote:
On July 19 2009 03:13 psion0011 wrote:
On July 19 2009 03:11 ishob wrote:
If you're a teen you shouldn't be lifting heavy at all, that stunts growth.

Yeah this is complete bullshit.


Its not. Every physician and every personal trainer i've ever met has told me the same. I wont take your word over theirs. I was also taught this in university when I studied to be a gym teacher.


Ive been told the same; that you should avoid heavy lifting till 16+


It's called a myth. A very pervasive one at that. Similar to spot fat reduction.

Read the studies psion posted.

Personal trainers and even doctors are not experts on weightlifting... nor would they be running the studies showing indication of damage to growth plates. Impact sports which have significant risk of injury to the ends of the bones (where the growth plates are located) such as football, soccer, etc. are more at risk to "stunt growth" than weighlifting because of the odd angles of impact on the bones. Weightlifting is straight forward and leads to good results such as increased bone mineral density, etc.
Overcoming Gravity: A Systematic Approach to Gymnastics and Bodyweight Strength
The Storyteller
Profile Blog Joined January 2006
Singapore2486 Posts
July 19 2009 08:27 GMT
#894
I can see the kind of logic people use to justify spot fat reduction, but what's the logic behind "lifting weights stunts growth"? Unless you're lifting weights with your head 24/7?
eshlow
Profile Joined June 2008
United States5210 Posts
July 19 2009 08:44 GMT
#895
On July 19 2009 17:27 The Storyteller wrote:
I can see the kind of logic people use to justify spot fat reduction, but what's the logic behind "lifting weights stunts growth"? Unless you're lifting weights with your head 24/7?


"Supposedly" harms growth plates. If there's enough trauma to them (usually from broken bones or stress fractures or something along those lines) then they will close up earlier than normal leading to stunted growth.

Simply not true with safe weightlifting (even heavy weightlifting).
Overcoming Gravity: A Systematic Approach to Gymnastics and Bodyweight Strength
Foucault
Profile Blog Joined May 2009
Sweden2826 Posts
July 19 2009 11:56 GMT
#896
Yeah I wouldn't lift heavy weights before 16 though for some different reasons:

1) There's no point getting too obsessed with working out too early.

2) Young people tend to SUCK at doing an exercise correctly and can easily get injuries.

3) They only focus on like biceps and abs.


The sum of it is that you should come back when you're a couple years older and know some more about exercise and nutrition.
I know that deep inside of you there's a humongous set of testicles just waiting to pop out. Let 'em pop bro. //////////////////// AKA JensOfSweden // Lee Yoon Yeol forever.
Energies
Profile Blog Joined September 2003
Australia3225 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-07-19 12:26:49
July 19 2009 12:23 GMT
#897
Any running experts here?

I'm training for the 12km City to Surf. I'm having some issues. My cardiovascular health is top notch, I can run forever keeping a steady low heart rate, so I have no issues making the distance fitness wise.

I suffer from lower back pains when I am going at my steady jogging pace, the pains go away if I pick up the pace, take longer strides or sprint.

Secondly my calves and lower calves? fleshy area just above the ankles, become terribly sore running on any sort of incline, the pain is similar to that of isolated calve exercises, I pretty much have to stop, stretch the pain away and then run again.

Note, I only suffer from these issues running outside, I have no issues on a treadmill.

Can anyone relate to this or any advice on how I can solve these problems, any exercises that can help out. The event is in 6 weeks.
"Everybody wanna be a bodybuilder but dont nobody wanna lift no heavy ass weight" - Ronnie Coleman.
NonY
Profile Blog Joined June 2007
8751 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-07-19 12:52:23
July 19 2009 12:51 GMT
#898
I'm not really a running expert but I can speak from ~6 years personal experience. The calves and lower back are two areas that can hurt from simply being out of shape (running shape, anyway). The unevenness of outside running, such as when you're not on an incline but the surface isn't perfectly smooth or when you actually are on an incline, is going to work ankles and lower back pretty hard.

I had the calf pain when I was 15, in my first 4 months of real training. Like you said, it was so bad that I could not continue running and had to stop and stretch. I'm 90% sure it's related to steep inclines.

I had the back pain when I took a couple months off after being in great shape. My cardiovascular health hadn't detoriorated significantly, so I went out and ran about 8 miles at a fun pace, but my lower back was sore for about 5 of those miles. And I continued to have soreness in my lower back for maybe 1-2 weeks longer.

Of course you want to be careful that you aren't developing injuries, but I think the most likely explanation is just that outside running makes holding your posture much more difficult, both at the ankle level and at the torso.
"Fucking up is part of it. If you can't fail, you have to always win. And I don't think you can always win." Elliott Smith ---------- Yet no sudden rage darkened his face, and his eyes were calm as they studied her. Then he smiled. 'Witness.'
Jibba
Profile Blog Joined October 2007
United States22883 Posts
July 19 2009 13:00 GMT
#899
On July 19 2009 11:00 ishob wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 19 2009 03:13 psion0011 wrote:
On July 19 2009 03:11 ishob wrote:
If you're a teen you shouldn't be lifting heavy at all, that stunts growth.

Yeah this is complete bullshit.


Its not. Every physician and every personal trainer i've ever met has told me the same. I wont take your word over theirs. I was also taught this in university when I studied to be a gym teacher.

It's based on very old information, and has been thrown out with more recent studies.
ModeratorNow I'm distant, dark in this anthrobeat
The Storyteller
Profile Blog Joined January 2006
Singapore2486 Posts
July 19 2009 13:01 GMT
#900
On July 19 2009 20:56 Foucault wrote:
Yeah I wouldn't lift heavy weights before 16 though for some different reasons:

1) There's no point getting too obsessed with working out too early.

2) Young people tend to SUCK at doing an exercise correctly and can easily get injuries.

3) They only focus on like biceps and abs.


The sum of it is that you should come back when you're a couple years older and know some more about exercise and nutrition.


That doesn't compute.

1. What's "too early"? And what's "obsessed"? Just because they like to lift some weights at 15 they are too young and obsessed?

2. Anyone inexperienced sucks at doing exercises correctly and can easily get injured. Age has nothing to do with it.

3. Everyone inexperienced focuses on biceps and abs.

Your argument is not against YOUNG people weightlifting, it's against inexperienced people weightlifting, and can easily be cured through informaton and a good teacher.
Prev 1 43 44 45 46 47 119 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 5h 55m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
RuFF_SC2 218
SpeCial 22
StarCraft: Brood War
Rain 2032
Snow 44
NaDa 31
Bale 30
Noble 8
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm173
Counter-Strike
taco 560
Super Smash Bros
hungrybox1430
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor1094
WinterStarcraft675
Other Games
summit1g8980
Doublelift2535
JimRising 686
PiGStarcraft276
ArmadaUGS187
C9.Mang0183
Maynarde138
ViBE84
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick807
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream155
[ Show 14 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 90
• practicex 22
• intothetv
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Azhi_Dahaki170
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Lourlo1228
• Rush478
• Stunt263
Upcoming Events
The PondCast
5h 55m
OSC
8h 55m
Stellar Fest
8h 55m
OSC
19h 55m
Stellar Fest
1d 8h
CranKy Ducklings
2 days
Online Event
2 days
FEL
2 days
AI Arena Tournament
2 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
2 days
[ Show More ]
Sparkling Tuna Cup
3 days
INu's Battles
3 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
Replay Cast
3 days
WardiTV Weekly
4 days
Replay Cast
4 days
INu's Battles
5 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.