• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 01:15
CEST 07:15
KST 14:15
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)75Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups?
Tourneys
ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft Sagi.gg Launcher Released Bot on ladder BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ Fantasy returning?
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Nintendo Switch Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Dating: How's your luck? Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 6049 users

TeamLiquid Health and Fitness Initiative For 2023 - Page 192

Forum Index > Sports
Post a Reply
Prev 1 190 191 192 193 194 234 Next
decafchicken
Profile Blog Joined January 2005
United States20168 Posts
December 06 2017 03:42 GMT
#3821
Northside, West Lakeview area
how reasonable is it to eat off wood instead of your tummy?
Jerubaal
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
United States7684 Posts
Last Edited: 2017-12-06 05:07:03
December 06 2017 05:03 GMT
#3822
So I like to do dumbbell benchpress. Is there any point at which doing dumbbell bench with a heavy weight is not a good idea? Is it better to do reps or high weight as far as shoulders go. I'm a bit concerned that I may have weak shoulders. I've had to stop once a year or two ago because one shoulder just got aggravated.
I'm not stupid, a marauder just shot my brain.
decafchicken
Profile Blog Joined January 2005
United States20168 Posts
December 06 2017 05:12 GMT
#3823
On December 06 2017 14:03 Jerubaal wrote:
So I like to do dumbbell benchpress. Is there any point at which doing dumbbell bench with a heavy weight is not a good idea? Is it better to do reps or high weight as far as shoulders go. I'm a bit concerned that I may have weak shoulders. I've had to stop once a year or two ago because one shoulder just got aggravated.


If you're healthy, no.

There are a lot of shoulder muscles. If you have shoulder weakness/instability/etc. you should address it.
how reasonable is it to eat off wood instead of your tummy?
farvacola
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
United States18869 Posts
December 06 2017 12:35 GMT
#3824
If you like to do heavy pressing, you gotta do some heavy pulling to keep things in order. As has been said on here by folks like Igne and decaf before, appropriate scapular retraction as base-setting for press movements is the name of the game, and that only becomes more important as the weights get heavier.
"when the Dead Kennedys found out they had skinhead fans, they literally wrote a song titled 'Nazi Punks Fuck Off'"
Aveng3r
Profile Joined February 2012
United States2411 Posts
December 06 2017 15:00 GMT
#3825
On December 06 2017 21:35 farvacola wrote:
If you like to do heavy pressing, you gotta do some heavy pulling to keep things in order. As has been said on here by folks like Igne and decaf before, appropriate scapular retraction as base-setting for press movements is the name of the game, and that only becomes more important as the weights get heavier.

I never quite realized this although I believe I have more or less "kept things in order" rather accidentally based on my usual lifts

Is there anything in particular that you would suggest to complement heavy pushing? I frequently do seated rows and weighted pull ups as part of my routine
I carve marble busts of assassinated world leaders - PM for a quote
Jerubaal
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
United States7684 Posts
December 06 2017 17:03 GMT
#3826
I think I do enough pulling with bent over rows and pull ups, but I've neglected direct shoulder work. I'll have to do some of that. I had some issues in previous years and it kind of got me away from it.
I'm not stupid, a marauder just shot my brain.
L_Master
Profile Blog Joined April 2009
United States8017 Posts
December 06 2017 17:56 GMT
#3827
On December 07 2017 00:00 Aveng3r wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 06 2017 21:35 farvacola wrote:
If you like to do heavy pressing, you gotta do some heavy pulling to keep things in order. As has been said on here by folks like Igne and decaf before, appropriate scapular retraction as base-setting for press movements is the name of the game, and that only becomes more important as the weights get heavier.

I never quite realized this although I believe I have more or less "kept things in order" rather accidentally based on my usual lifts

Is there anything in particular that you would suggest to complement heavy pushing? I frequently do seated rows and weighted pull ups as part of my routine


I always do BB Row before benching, and then weighted pull ups. General rule for me is just doing equal work with both. So if I did bench and then some chest accessory I would BB Row and then some pulling accessory, ideally in the same plane of motion.

EffOrt and Soulkey Hwaiting!
L_Master
Profile Blog Joined April 2009
United States8017 Posts
December 06 2017 17:58 GMT
#3828
Starting to get a little more comfortable with my deadlift, but squat is definitely not friendly to me right now. I definitely have a tendency to want to be pitched forward, and when I start to get to heavier weight, something I can lift maybe 5-6 times, I really struggle to feel comfortable and go all the way to proper depth.

Getting pretty obnoxious because right now my bench/row are closing in on being the same #s as my squat.
EffOrt and Soulkey Hwaiting!
Aveng3r
Profile Joined February 2012
United States2411 Posts
December 06 2017 18:28 GMT
#3829
On December 07 2017 02:58 L_Master wrote:
Starting to get a little more comfortable with my deadlift, but squat is definitely not friendly to me right now. I definitely have a tendency to want to be pitched forward, and when I start to get to heavier weight, something I can lift maybe 5-6 times, I really struggle to feel comfortable and go all the way to proper depth.

Getting pretty obnoxious because right now my bench/row are closing in on being the same #s as my squat.

Yeah that sounds weird, my general advice would be to make sure you're driving off your heals rather than the balls of your feet, that might help correct the forward pitch you describe
I carve marble busts of assassinated world leaders - PM for a quote
IgnE
Profile Joined November 2010
United States7684 Posts
December 06 2017 18:37 GMT
#3830
nah forward pitch is almost always a lack of proper flexibility in hips and/or ankles. you are pitching forward to avoid falling back on your ass, not because you arent thinking "sit back more"
It is terrible to die of thirst at sea. Must you so salt your truth that it will no longer even slake thirst?
L_Master
Profile Blog Joined April 2009
United States8017 Posts
December 06 2017 18:47 GMT
#3831
On December 07 2017 03:37 IgnE wrote:
nah forward pitch is almost always a lack of proper flexibility in hips and/or ankles. you are pitching forward to avoid falling back on your ass, not because you arent thinking "sit back more"


This is probably what it is. It's gotten better, like I can now squat down to legal depth bodyweight style with a fairly wide, toes flared about 30 degrees stance. Bring it in closer to shoulder width or have my feet straight and I'm still nowhere close.
EffOrt and Soulkey Hwaiting!
FFGenerations
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
7088 Posts
Last Edited: 2017-12-06 20:06:48
December 06 2017 19:59 GMT
#3832
put a thinner/smaller weight under each of your heels and try squatting
your mobility and hence form should be 10x improved by doing that

the other thing is, in my opinion, and i dont seem to ever seem this mentioned - although it is confirmably true if you think about the application of front squats - is that variations in your stance will (again in my opinion) drastically and effectively work your muscle in a variety of degrees.

i spent years squatting with the same wide stance, but not long ago tried with a very narrow stance (made possible because i put weights under my heels). the difference was astounding and i feel like it worked the inner portion of my legs really powerfully. this was immediately transferrable to deadlift iirc, where i also saw a huge boost, and of course in my overall leg strength.

now days i might do something like 3 sets of regular stance squats, then 2 sets of a narrow stance that shifts the weight, then finish with 1-2 sets of a very shallow, wide-legged squat after removing the plates from my heels (my mobility is shite still). this is extraordinarily satisfying, and like i said transfers very well to deadlift

you guys used to do a similar thing - front squats as well as back squats. why i don't hear about these anymore? i guess decaff moved on to competition stuff, others moved on etc
Cool BW Music Vid - youtube.com/watch?v=W54nlqJ-Nx8 ~~~~~ ᕤ OYSTERS ᕤ CLAMS ᕤ AND ᕤ CUCKOLDS ᕤ ~~~~~~ ༼ ᕤ◕◡◕ ༽ᕤ PUNCH HIM ༼ ᕤ◕◡◕ ༽ᕤ
ThomasjServo
Profile Blog Joined May 2012
15244 Posts
December 06 2017 20:23 GMT
#3833
I do Front Squats, probably more than I do back squats. I find the rack position to be more interesting, and holding a tempo is pretty fun.

I don't tend to do them opposite back though, it is either a BS or FS day for me.
L_Master
Profile Blog Joined April 2009
United States8017 Posts
December 06 2017 21:00 GMT
#3834
On December 07 2017 04:59 FFGenerations wrote:
put a thinner/smaller weight under each of your heels and try squatting
your mobility and hence form should be 10x improved by doing that

the other thing is, in my opinion, and i dont seem to ever seem this mentioned - although it is confirmably true if you think about the application of front squats - is that variations in your stance will (again in my opinion) drastically and effectively work your muscle in a variety of degrees.

i spent years squatting with the same wide stance, but not long ago tried with a very narrow stance (made possible because i put weights under my heels). the difference was astounding and i feel like it worked the inner portion of my legs really powerfully. this was immediately transferrable to deadlift iirc, where i also saw a huge boost, and of course in my overall leg strength.

now days i might do something like 3 sets of regular stance squats, then 2 sets of a narrow stance that shifts the weight, then finish with 1-2 sets of a very shallow, wide-legged squat after removing the plates from my heels (my mobility is shite still). this is extraordinarily satisfying, and like i said transfers very well to deadlift

you guys used to do a similar thing - front squats as well as back squats. why i don't hear about these anymore? i guess decaff moved on to competition stuff, others moved on etc


This makes sense. Narrow stance is going to be very quad dominant, so it should be hitting your legs pretty hard. Putting a plate under could work, but to me that seems like a temporary band aid.

Interesting it helped your deadlift that much. Do you pull sumo?
EffOrt and Soulkey Hwaiting!
decafchicken
Profile Blog Joined January 2005
United States20168 Posts
December 06 2017 21:15 GMT
#3835
On December 07 2017 00:00 Aveng3r wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 06 2017 21:35 farvacola wrote:
If you like to do heavy pressing, you gotta do some heavy pulling to keep things in order. As has been said on here by folks like Igne and decaf before, appropriate scapular retraction as base-setting for press movements is the name of the game, and that only becomes more important as the weights get heavier.

I never quite realized this although I believe I have more or less "kept things in order" rather accidentally based on my usual lifts

Is there anything in particular that you would suggest to complement heavy pushing? I frequently do seated rows and weighted pull ups as part of my routine


Equal amounts pull ups to pressing and equal amount rowing to benching.

Stuff like rotator cuff work, face pulls, band pull aparts ,etc. are good too
how reasonable is it to eat off wood instead of your tummy?
L_Master
Profile Blog Joined April 2009
United States8017 Posts
December 07 2017 06:44 GMT
#3836
Next round of form check for deadlift. I'm encouraged I've got things tightened up and I don't feel like I'm stressing my back as much with a better, tighter setup and getting away from thinking about pulling with arms back.

Not sure if I'm getting everything, especially setup, quite dialed in though.

EffOrt and Soulkey Hwaiting!
Eclipsing Binary
Profile Joined September 2012
61 Posts
December 07 2017 17:28 GMT
#3837
deadlifting with 12-sided plates (instead of round) is the most annoying thing ever, I don't know how anyone does it lol
Aveng3r
Profile Joined February 2012
United States2411 Posts
December 07 2017 17:33 GMT
#3838
On December 07 2017 15:44 L_Master wrote:
Next round of form check for deadlift. I'm encouraged I've got things tightened up and I don't feel like I'm stressing my back as much with a better, tighter setup and getting away from thinking about pulling with arms back.

Not sure if I'm getting everything, especially setup, quite dialed in though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20txZUpcBBo

Looked pretty good to me, maybe a little lax in the shoulders on the last one

How many sets of that do you do? Im right in the same weight range as you and I like to do 3x5
I carve marble busts of assassinated world leaders - PM for a quote
L_Master
Profile Blog Joined April 2009
United States8017 Posts
December 07 2017 19:02 GMT
#3839
On December 08 2017 02:33 Aveng3r wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 07 2017 15:44 L_Master wrote:
Next round of form check for deadlift. I'm encouraged I've got things tightened up and I don't feel like I'm stressing my back as much with a better, tighter setup and getting away from thinking about pulling with arms back.

Not sure if I'm getting everything, especially setup, quite dialed in though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20txZUpcBBo

Looked pretty good to me, maybe a little lax in the shoulders on the last one

How many sets of that do you do? Im right in the same weight range as you and I like to do 3x5


I've just jumped back to it, but I've been working up to just one top set. Like get good form at 135, then jump to 185, 205, 225. 3x5 is mostly the template I've been using, basically SS framework with some accessories.

I think I can go heavier, but I'm taking it slow trying to dial in form perfect at each weight before I move up.
EffOrt and Soulkey Hwaiting!
L_Master
Profile Blog Joined April 2009
United States8017 Posts
Last Edited: 2017-12-07 19:13:50
December 07 2017 19:05 GMT
#3840
On December 08 2017 02:28 Eclipsing Binary wrote:
deadlifting with 12-sided plates (instead of round) is the most annoying thing ever, I don't know how anyone does it lol


Yea it fucking is! Can't easily reset the bar. But I'm also broke AF as a student and can't afford to pay for a gym when I have a "free" one as part of school 😓
EffOrt and Soulkey Hwaiting!
Prev 1 190 191 192 193 194 234 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 5h 46m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
Nina 98
StarCraft: Brood War
Rain 2449
GuemChi 709
Leta 156
Snow 110
Terrorterran 72
Bale 30
Noble 14
ajuk12(nOOB) 9
Icarus 9
Dota 2
febbydoto17
League of Legends
JimRising 631
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King62
Other Games
summit1g6720
WinterStarcraft354
C9.Mang0276
Sick142
ViBE88
Trikslyr32
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick568
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream30
[ Show 16 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 111
• Letter147
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Azhi_Dahaki15
• Pr0nogo 4
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2147
League of Legends
• Lourlo1306
• Stunt413
Other Games
• Shiphtur394
Upcoming Events
Kung Fu Cup
5h 46m
Patches Events
10h 46m
The PondCast
1d 4h
INu's Battles
1d 5h
Percival vs SHIN
Zoun vs herO
OSC
1d 17h
Replay Cast
1d 17h
OSC
2 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
3 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
4 days
Patches Events
4 days
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
WardiTV Weekly
6 days
PiGosaur Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.