• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 05:31
CEST 11:31
KST 18:31
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)73Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4) StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups?
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft Sagi.gg Launcher Released Fantasy returning? BSL Season 23 Bot on ladder
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Dating: How's your luck? Artificial Intelligence Thread US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9147 users

TeamLiquid Health and Fitness Initiative For 2023 - Page 193

Forum Index > Sports
Post a Reply
Prev 1 191 192 193 194 195 234 Next
mordek
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
United States12705 Posts
December 07 2017 19:06 GMT
#3841
On December 08 2017 02:28 Eclipsing Binary wrote:
deadlifting with 12-sided plates (instead of round) is the most annoying thing ever, I don't know how anyone does it lol

Yeah this was my first thought lol
It is vanity to love what passes quickly and not to look ahead where eternal joy abides. Tiberius77 | Mordek #1881 "I took a mint!"
L_Master
Profile Blog Joined April 2009
United States8017 Posts
Last Edited: 2017-12-07 19:38:30
December 07 2017 19:15 GMT
#3842
I wont lie i really like the deadlift though. I think it's absolutely going to become my favorite lift. Useful, and just looks cool as hell to me.
EffOrt and Soulkey Hwaiting!
Jerubaal
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
United States7684 Posts
December 07 2017 19:40 GMT
#3843
What's the problem with them? Are you complaining about hitting a corner when you let it down?
I'm not stupid, a marauder just shot my brain.
L_Master
Profile Blog Joined April 2009
United States8017 Posts
December 07 2017 20:37 GMT
#3844
On December 08 2017 04:40 Jerubaal wrote:
What's the problem with them? Are you complaining about hitting a corner when you let it down?


They don't settle back to the same spot. So if the bar doesn't get set back down exactly as it was picked up, you can't just roll it into position. You have to either reeposition yourself, cause each side result in the bar moving several inches or more. That or physically pick up one end of the bar and twirl it around where you want.

Also, what I wouldn't give to have a gym with farmers walk handles. I really, really like farmer's walks; but dumbbells aren't the greatest. They work in a pinch, but when they start to tilt the end of the dumbell starts pressing into your wrist...and a 100+lbs edge pushing into your hands get painful quick. Other downside is they only go up to 125 here, I'll probably exhaust them in a few weeks. Can always add time, but I like doing them heavier and really working the grip.
EffOrt and Soulkey Hwaiting!
FFGenerations
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
7088 Posts
Last Edited: 2017-12-07 20:49:38
December 07 2017 20:47 GMT
#3845
u got money rite , ask the gym to go splits or something

speakin of random equipment, ive been using these lately as part of my abs, really like it and hits a totally different area for me
+ Show Spoiler +

[image loading]
Cool BW Music Vid - youtube.com/watch?v=W54nlqJ-Nx8 ~~~~~ ᕤ OYSTERS ᕤ CLAMS ᕤ AND ᕤ CUCKOLDS ᕤ ~~~~~~ ༼ ᕤ◕◡◕ ༽ᕤ PUNCH HIM ༼ ᕤ◕◡◕ ༽ᕤ
FFGenerations
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
7088 Posts
Last Edited: 2017-12-07 21:02:33
December 07 2017 20:57 GMT
#3846
On December 07 2017 06:00 L_Master wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 07 2017 04:59 FFGenerations wrote:
put a thinner/smaller weight under each of your heels and try squatting
your mobility and hence form should be 10x improved by doing that

the other thing is, in my opinion, and i dont seem to ever seem this mentioned - although it is confirmably true if you think about the application of front squats - is that variations in your stance will (again in my opinion) drastically and effectively work your muscle in a variety of degrees.

i spent years squatting with the same wide stance, but not long ago tried with a very narrow stance (made possible because i put weights under my heels). the difference was astounding and i feel like it worked the inner portion of my legs really powerfully. this was immediately transferrable to deadlift iirc, where i also saw a huge boost, and of course in my overall leg strength.

now days i might do something like 3 sets of regular stance squats, then 2 sets of a narrow stance that shifts the weight, then finish with 1-2 sets of a very shallow, wide-legged squat after removing the plates from my heels (my mobility is shite still). this is extraordinarily satisfying, and like i said transfers very well to deadlift

you guys used to do a similar thing - front squats as well as back squats. why i don't hear about these anymore? i guess decaff moved on to competition stuff, others moved on etc


This makes sense. Narrow stance is going to be very quad dominant, so it should be hitting your legs pretty hard. Putting a plate under could work, but to me that seems like a temporary band aid.

Interesting it helped your deadlift that much. Do you pull sumo?


it is a temporary bandaide so to speak, but it depends how long it takes for you to improve your mobility. 2 months? 6 months? 5 years (like me)? im 100000x happier doing good-form squats with a plate under my heel

i dont pull sumo no. but my squat is like 60kg , so 'anything' that activates me in a new way is gonna give a massive boost for me

honestly to think how little base muscle i had - ask me a few years ago and i would tell you i cant crouch down for more than a few seconds and get back up again... i mean, i remember doing it at work and thinking 'damn i suck' lol. hell, one of my gym goals in like 2013 was 'to be able to open the doors at work without looking like an invalid'

but ya nice to see you doing front squats and mixin it up servo, feelsgoodman
Cool BW Music Vid - youtube.com/watch?v=W54nlqJ-Nx8 ~~~~~ ᕤ OYSTERS ᕤ CLAMS ᕤ AND ᕤ CUCKOLDS ᕤ ~~~~~~ ༼ ᕤ◕◡◕ ༽ᕤ PUNCH HIM ༼ ᕤ◕◡◕ ༽ᕤ
L_Master
Profile Blog Joined April 2009
United States8017 Posts
December 07 2017 21:14 GMT
#3847
On December 08 2017 05:57 FFGenerations wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 07 2017 06:00 L_Master wrote:
On December 07 2017 04:59 FFGenerations wrote:
put a thinner/smaller weight under each of your heels and try squatting
your mobility and hence form should be 10x improved by doing that

the other thing is, in my opinion, and i dont seem to ever seem this mentioned - although it is confirmably true if you think about the application of front squats - is that variations in your stance will (again in my opinion) drastically and effectively work your muscle in a variety of degrees.

i spent years squatting with the same wide stance, but not long ago tried with a very narrow stance (made possible because i put weights under my heels). the difference was astounding and i feel like it worked the inner portion of my legs really powerfully. this was immediately transferrable to deadlift iirc, where i also saw a huge boost, and of course in my overall leg strength.

now days i might do something like 3 sets of regular stance squats, then 2 sets of a narrow stance that shifts the weight, then finish with 1-2 sets of a very shallow, wide-legged squat after removing the plates from my heels (my mobility is shite still). this is extraordinarily satisfying, and like i said transfers very well to deadlift

you guys used to do a similar thing - front squats as well as back squats. why i don't hear about these anymore? i guess decaff moved on to competition stuff, others moved on etc


This makes sense. Narrow stance is going to be very quad dominant, so it should be hitting your legs pretty hard. Putting a plate under could work, but to me that seems like a temporary band aid.

Interesting it helped your deadlift that much. Do you pull sumo?


it is a temporary bandaide so to speak, but it depends how long it takes for you to improve your mobility. 2 months? 6 months? 5 years (like me)? im 100000x happier doing good-form squats with a plate under my heel

i dont pull sumo no. but my squat is like 60kg , so 'anything' that activates me in a new way is gonna give a massive boost for me

honestly to think how little base muscle i had - ask me a few years ago and i would tell you i cant crouch down for more than a few seconds and get back up again... i mean, i remember doing it at work and thinking 'damn i suck' lol. hell, one of my gym goals in like 2013 was 'to be able to open the doors at work without looking like an invalid'

but ya nice to see you doing front squats and mixin it up servo, feelsgoodman


Were you super skinny? Like 5'8"/170cm 50kg skeletor?

I'm a little curious though. 60kg for a squat? Is your training consistent? Sounds like you've been around the gym for several years and are only just squatting a wheel, which seems off.
EffOrt and Soulkey Hwaiting!
FFGenerations
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
7088 Posts
December 08 2017 20:02 GMT
#3848
yea i was 'inward chest' guy i was that skinny and gross , until i met u guys 2011 and went full out porker
Cool BW Music Vid - youtube.com/watch?v=W54nlqJ-Nx8 ~~~~~ ᕤ OYSTERS ᕤ CLAMS ᕤ AND ᕤ CUCKOLDS ᕤ ~~~~~~ ༼ ᕤ◕◡◕ ༽ᕤ PUNCH HIM ༼ ᕤ◕◡◕ ༽ᕤ
decafchicken
Profile Blog Joined January 2005
United States20168 Posts
December 08 2017 21:07 GMT
#3849
On December 07 2017 15:44 L_Master wrote:
Next round of form check for deadlift. I'm encouraged I've got things tightened up and I don't feel like I'm stressing my back as much with a better, tighter setup and getting away from thinking about pulling with arms back.

Not sure if I'm getting everything, especially setup, quite dialed in though.


Looks pretty good. I'd like to see you try and get your back a bit flatter by pulling your shoulders back and down and using your core for your lumbar, but overall solid lifting and looks like you're moving well.
how reasonable is it to eat off wood instead of your tummy?
L_Master
Profile Blog Joined April 2009
United States8017 Posts
Last Edited: 2017-12-08 21:42:52
December 08 2017 21:42 GMT
#3850
On November 28 2017 13:15 FFGenerations wrote:
^ was totally expecting then & now photos tbh, disappoint, will not eat less


And as promised:

Fat Eric (85-90kg, approx 173cm), circa start of college:

[image loading]
[image loading]

Less fat Eric (65kg):

[image loading]



Although this will probably horrify most of you, realistically for pure cycling I wanted to be 3-5 kg lighter, but spent 90% of my riding about 68-70kg.
EffOrt and Soulkey Hwaiting!
GoTuNk!
Profile Blog Joined September 2006
Chile4591 Posts
December 08 2017 22:10 GMT
#3851
Great progress, aesthetically I'm sure you'll look better by gaining muscle than losing fat. A few kilos on your shoulder/back/traps and you'll be the buffest thriathlete.
Pulimuli1
Profile Joined August 2017
33 Posts
Last Edited: 2017-12-08 23:11:48
December 08 2017 23:02 GMT
#3852
^ exactly the same height as you but around 70kg

[image loading]

[image loading]

pics are a few months old but i dont think ive changed much, maybe a little leaner.
L_Master
Profile Blog Joined April 2009
United States8017 Posts
December 09 2017 04:30 GMT
#3853
Pulimuli, that's actually inspiring because you could probably be a kilo or two lighter to be absolutely shredded, which still keeps the BW reasonable. I've got a big engine, so I can do most races okay at the lower end of 70kg. I think for a 5'8" guy, if you stay really lean max muscular potential is usually around 80kg, which is still within reasonable.

As much as I like powerlifting already, I probably won't chase being 80kg+, it's just too much to drag around in hilly Colorado. Would be pretty cool if I could total say, 1200 or so, and run sub 5 mile at the same time. Long way for that though. I'll worry about 800 first
EffOrt and Soulkey Hwaiting!
Pulimuli1
Profile Joined August 2017
33 Posts
December 09 2017 07:41 GMT
#3854
On December 09 2017 13:30 L_Master wrote:
Pulimuli, that's actually inspiring because you could probably be a kilo or two lighter to be absolutely shredded, which still keeps the BW reasonable. I've got a big engine, so I can do most races okay at the lower end of 70kg. I think for a 5'8" guy, if you stay really lean max muscular potential is usually around 80kg, which is still within reasonable.

As much as I like powerlifting already, I probably won't chase being 80kg+, it's just too much to drag around in hilly Colorado. Would be pretty cool if I could total say, 1200 or so, and run sub 5 mile at the same time. Long way for that though. I'll worry about 800 first


yeah im a bit too fat now acutally xD would like to be a little lighter since i do gymnastics/calisthenics the extra weight isnt helping at all.

Yeah the more mass you have the harder it will be for you in endurance races
Jerubaal
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
United States7684 Posts
December 10 2017 02:20 GMT
#3855
@L_Master- I'm disappointed. I was hoping for morbidly obese. Not "frat boy fat:.

@Pulimuli- Please report the the Handicapper-General

What type of shoes are you guys using? I squat olympic style so sneakers have worked for me, but they don't work for deadlift.
I'm not stupid, a marauder just shot my brain.
L_Master
Profile Blog Joined April 2009
United States8017 Posts
December 10 2017 05:52 GMT
#3856
On December 10 2017 11:20 Jerubaal wrote:
@L_Master- I'm disappointed. I was hoping for morbidly obese. Not "frat boy fat:.

@Pulimuli- Please report the the Handicapper-General

What type of shoes are you guys using? I squat olympic style so sneakers have worked for me, but they don't work for deadlift.


Haha, I never claimed to be that fat. Was probably pushing 25-30% at my worst. I always has fitness though, I remember even in PE in ninth grade we had the usual mile shit, and I really wanted to beat a classmate and ended up running 6:57. Not too bad for a tubby, largely sedentary dude.

Shoewise, it's a disaster for me. I'm using shitty old running shoes, which combined with our smooth floors is fucking lame. I remember IgnE mentioning "slovenly toe angle" and I tried to correct that, starting more in and thinking of screwing feet to floor...well my shoes can't grip this floor, so no matter what the toes are headed out.

Makes it hard to get rooted for leg drive on bench as well. Deadlift is the only one where I feel okay in shoes, but I'd still prefer to deadlift barefoot (not allowed at CSU). I'd really like to find a proper lifting gym, CSU has lots of equipment but also stupid rules, and also get better shoes...but right now there is no extra cash flow. Fingers crossed for Christmas on the shoes at least.
EffOrt and Soulkey Hwaiting!
Pulimuli1
Profile Joined August 2017
33 Posts
December 10 2017 09:54 GMT
#3857
On December 10 2017 11:20 Jerubaal wrote:
@L_Master- I'm disappointed. I was hoping for morbidly obese. Not "frat boy fat:.

@Pulimuli- Please report the the Handicapper-General

What type of shoes are you guys using? I squat olympic style so sneakers have worked for me, but they don't work for deadlift.


I have no idea what this means xD
Jerubaal
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
United States7684 Posts
December 11 2017 05:52 GMT
#3858
Go read the short story Harrison Bergeron.
I'm not stupid, a marauder just shot my brain.
Pulimuli1
Profile Joined August 2017
33 Posts
December 11 2017 10:54 GMT
#3859
On December 11 2017 14:52 Jerubaal wrote:
Go read the short story Harrison Bergeron.


i looked it up

lol
VHbb
Profile Joined October 2014
692 Posts
December 11 2017 14:40 GMT
#3860
Hi guys
I finally managed to take videos of my deadlift
silly question: how do I upload them here?
is there a twiki/guide?

Thanks!
My life for Aiur !
Prev 1 191 192 193 194 195 234 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 29m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
ProTech6
StarCraft: Brood War
Zeus 401
Horang2 303
Larva 257
EffOrt 180
Mind 76
Hyun 62
scan(afreeca) 51
NotJumperer 42
Killer 40
Bale 38
[ Show more ]
ggaemo 37
Sharp 35
sorry 35
Shinee 22
Sacsri 13
Hm[arnc] 13
Pusan 13
Barracks 6
Britney 0
Dota 2
febbydoto110
League of Legends
JimRising 415
Counter-Strike
olofmeister1209
edward536
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King110
Other Games
summit1g8077
ceh9649
Happy319
crisheroes199
Sick175
dupreeh65
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick594
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream33
[ Show 11 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• killerbeecast4
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2271
League of Legends
• Jankos1204
Upcoming Events
Afreeca Starleague
29m
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
1h 29m
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
14h 29m
Patches Events
1d 6h
The PondCast
2 days
INu's Battles
2 days
Percival vs TBD
TBD vs herO
OSC
2 days
Replay Cast
2 days
OSC
3 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
4 days
[ Show More ]
Sparkling Tuna Cup
5 days
Patches Events
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.