• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 08:34
CEST 14:34
KST 21:34
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)77Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3
StarCraft 2
General
[Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Sagi.gg Launcher Released 20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft Bot on ladder BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ Fantasy returning?
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal A [ASL22] Semifinal B [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Nintendo Switch Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Dating: How's your luck? Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9026 users

TeamLiquid Health and Fitness Initiative For 2023 - Page 194

Forum Index > Sports
Post a Reply
Prev 1 192 193 194 195 196 234 Next
L_Master
Profile Blog Joined April 2009
United States8017 Posts
December 11 2017 15:33 GMT
#3861
On December 11 2017 23:40 VHbb wrote:
Hi guys
I finally managed to take videos of my deadlift
silly question: how do I upload them here?
is there a twiki/guide?

Thanks!


Make a YouTube account. Upload to YouTube. Paste the link here.
EffOrt and Soulkey Hwaiting!
VHbb
Profile Joined October 2014
692 Posts
December 11 2017 16:22 GMT
#3862
Thanks L_Master!

So here's the video - sorry for the big logo on top, I hope you can still see through (I wanted to pixel-out my face).
The weight is 50kg.

My impression is that my back really well flat, especially from the video it seems there's an arc close to my neck - though I don't know very well how to "fix" this.

The way I approach the lift is:

- walk to the bar, midfoot under the bar, feet hip-wide pointing slightly out (no shoes, only socks on)
- go down to grab the bar without bending too much my knees
- bend knees until my shins touch the bar
- pull up my chest, trying to maintain a flat back
- inhale, tighten my core, pull up the weight
- let the weight down (I don't try to slow the weight down too much in the descent)
- exhale

and repeat..


what do you think?




(I'll try to do the same for squat, as this is extremely useful..)
My life for Aiur !
Jerubaal
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
United States7684 Posts
Last Edited: 2017-12-11 22:44:13
December 11 2017 18:22 GMT
#3863
I'm no expert, but I don't really like the way you set up. i think you need to get your hips "under the bar" so to speak. I start by lowering my hips then grabbing the bar. Some people grab the bar first then make an exaggerated "squat" to get low. Just my two cents.

Also, I think if you say bent down too long, you lose tension in your tendons. It feels that way at least!
I'm not stupid, a marauder just shot my brain.
infinity21 *
Profile Blog Joined October 2006
Canada6683 Posts
December 12 2017 00:55 GMT
#3864
Put more weight on the bar imo. I think you'll get a better feel for efficient mechanics when there's some load. From what I can see, you're leaning a bit forward and your shoulder blades are not tucked in.
Official Entusman #21
Jerubaal
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
United States7684 Posts
December 12 2017 02:33 GMT
#3865
Yeah, I was thinking...That looks like what I deadlift! Jk jk. I lift much less.
I'm not stupid, a marauder just shot my brain.
L_Master
Profile Blog Joined April 2009
United States8017 Posts
Last Edited: 2017-12-12 06:12:13
December 12 2017 06:07 GMT
#3866
Bench day today. 190 for 2x5. 225 is gettin closer. I'd be pretty stoked to go from not even a plate, struggling to 3x5 115, to two wheels in less than 4 months.

Now if I can just fix my poverty squat that's damn near worse than my bench right now. I'm just not comfortable with it at all yet. Should probably up the frequency of squatting, but I find it hard to program around cycling. Those two do NOT play nice with each other at all. If I ride hard on a squat day, it definitely takes away from my squat. When I squat, if I lift first to be fresh I can't bike for shit that day or the next. Start squatting twice or 3x per week and that gets me to just two or three, maybe even just one day, I can put in a good bike effort.

Don't have the answer. I'm sure you can make good progress 1x per week, but I just don't have the confidence yet. I start bitch squatting at the weight starts to approach 85% or so. Yesterday even messed it up bad enough with 165 that I dropped too far into the hole, and lost the last set coming up, awkwardly dropping the bar behind me in an attempt to get out from under it (in a power rack so no harm no foul. Just loud and a little embarrassing with less than two wheels).

If I can get comfortable with technique in squat by then, and deadlift holds up as I get heavier I'm thinking of doing a little mock meet for practice at the end of January. I'd loosely like to hit 250/235/315 to get 800. If everything came together for squat, I could see myself getting to 275 by then, given that I've done at least on set of pretty legit squats at 2x5x215.
EffOrt and Soulkey Hwaiting!
VHbb
Profile Joined October 2014
692 Posts
December 12 2017 06:57 GMT
#3867
On December 12 2017 09:55 infinity21 wrote:
Put more weight on the bar imo. I think you'll get a better feel for efficient mechanics when there's some load. From what I can see, you're leaning a bit forward and your shoulder blades are not tucked in.



Thank you!
I went with a lower weight trying to focus uniquely on form, to make the video - although I *am* just a newbie so I don't really lift that much more (I can go up to 70kg now, not more).

Should the shoulder blades be directly over the bar, or slightly more forward?
I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "tucked in" :/
My life for Aiur !
Jerubaal
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
United States7684 Posts
December 12 2017 14:48 GMT
#3868
@L_Master are you squatting Power or Oly?
I'm not stupid, a marauder just shot my brain.
L_Master
Profile Blog Joined April 2009
United States8017 Posts
December 12 2017 15:12 GMT
#3869
On December 12 2017 23:48 Jerubaal wrote:
@L_Master are you squatting Power or Oly?


Hmm. I guess you could say powerlifting, but then again not really, as I'm currently squatting high bar and I think most guys doing PL are low bar.
EffOrt and Soulkey Hwaiting!
Jerubaal
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
United States7684 Posts
December 12 2017 18:15 GMT
#3870
Well, do you feel like you are leaning forward too much?

I noticed the last few days that the overhead presses (perhaps just the standing dumbbell versions) seem to require significant back support to accomplish. That occurred to me this morning while I pondered how I did so poorly yesterday in that exercise. Yesterday I did pull ups while the previous time I had done dumbbell rows. I must have pre exhausted the supporting back muscles. I'll have to test that out on Thursday.
I'm not stupid, a marauder just shot my brain.
L_Master
Profile Blog Joined April 2009
United States8017 Posts
December 12 2017 18:56 GMT
#3871
That's part of it, yes. Just don't feel like I have good control of the bar path and I'm not especially confident in my bracing either. I think I tend to lose the brace coming out of the hole.

I noticed the last few days that the overhead presses (perhaps just the standing dumbbell versions) seem to require significant back support to accomplish. That occurred to me this morning while I pondered how I did so poorly yesterday in that exercise. Yesterday I did pull ups while the previous time I had done dumbbell rows. I must have pre exhausted the supporting back muscles. I'll have to test that out on Thursday.


Definitely. You need a stable platform from which to drive, that starts with the feet and continues up through the chain. If the back isn't tight and controlled there is no stable base from which to push against. It also makes it difficulty to move the bar with good path.

I'm a huge fan of pairing movements in the same plane. I.e. if I bench then I will also BB Row. If I OHP then always weighted pull-ups after with equal volume. With bench I always do my row's first, because honestly it seems to get my back ready and helps me keep a tighter upper back platform from which to press against. With OHP I do the pull-ups afterword because I just did something that compresses the spine (OHP) and then hitting weighted pull ups after takes load of the spine. Feels very good. I do the same thing with deadlift as well. Always deadlift, then pull ups after to decompress the spine a little after loading it heavily.

EffOrt and Soulkey Hwaiting!
VHbb
Profile Joined October 2014
692 Posts
December 12 2017 23:40 GMT
#3872
Ok I did a second video today for the rowing exercise
What do you guys think? Back flat enough or should I do it differently? are my shoulder not far forward enough?



(sorry for the heavy breathing ahah I don't know how to adjust the audio yet - and sorry again for the big logo in front..)
My life for Aiur !
phyre112
Profile Joined August 2009
United States3090 Posts
December 13 2017 12:37 GMT
#3873
On December 12 2017 01:22 VHbb wrote:
Thanks L_Master!

So here's the video - sorry for the big logo on top, I hope you can still see through (I wanted to pixel-out my face).
The weight is 50kg.

My impression is that my back really well flat, especially from the video it seems there's an arc close to my neck - though I don't know very well how to "fix" this.

The way I approach the lift is:

- walk to the bar, midfoot under the bar, feet hip-wide pointing slightly out (no shoes, only socks on)
- go down to grab the bar without bending too much my knees
- bend knees until my shins touch the bar
- pull up my chest, trying to maintain a flat back
- inhale, tighten my core, pull up the weight
- let the weight down (I don't try to slow the weight down too much in the descent)
- exhale

and repeat..


what do you think?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlZ6yw3tFBw


(I'll try to do the same for squat, as this is extremely useful..)

Bar is a bit out in front of you especially on the second rep and later and especially when you’re lowering it (which is probably fine as long as you reset properly) When you think “midfoot” don’t forget about the part of the foot that’s, you know, under your leg. Plenty of people put it over he top of their arch and that’s actually a bit forward. Engage your lats more to keep the bar in the right spot and to hopefully straighten out your upper back a touch. Pull the shoulder blades back and down, and try to almost turn your elbows “in”.

Would like to commment on your hips at the end of the pull but the logo is in the way. Next video try to prop your vents up a little higher as well too so it’s not shooting up at you as much.

On December 12 2017 03:22 Jerubaal wrote:
I'm no expert, but I don't really like the way you set up. i think you need to get your hips "under the bar" so to speak. I start by lowering my hips then grabbing the bar. Some people grab the bar first then make an exaggerated "squat" to get low. Just my two cents.

Also, I think if you say bent down too long, you lose tension in your tendons. It feels that way at least!

Hips too low is actually a common issue for newer lifters. The deadlift is not a clean and trying to treat it like one is only going to hold back the amount of weight you’re able to move. His hip height is fine.

Staying bent down just decreases the efficiency of the stretch reflex, decreasing maximum power output. It’s not ideal long term, but if you’re still getting your movement patterns down it’s not the end of the world. It has very little to do wii tendons.

On December 12 2017 09:55 infinity21 wrote:
Put more weight on the bar imo. I think you'll get a better feel for efficient mechanics when there's some load. From what I can see, you're leaning a bit forward and your shoulder blades are not tucked in.

Agreed. Form checks should be done around 80-85% or about what you’d hit for a tough 5 reps. Also agreed with the critique.
Jerubaal
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
United States7684 Posts
Last Edited: 2017-12-13 16:50:42
December 13 2017 16:42 GMT
#3874
It's not the position of his hips but the curve of his back that I'm concerned with. We can't really say until we see him try a full load.
I'm not stupid, a marauder just shot my brain.
infinity21 *
Profile Blog Joined October 2006
Canada6683 Posts
December 13 2017 16:51 GMT
#3875
On December 12 2017 15:57 VHbb wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 12 2017 09:55 infinity21 wrote:
Put more weight on the bar imo. I think you'll get a better feel for efficient mechanics when there's some load. From what I can see, you're leaning a bit forward and your shoulder blades are not tucked in.



Thank you!
I went with a lower weight trying to focus uniquely on form, to make the video - although I *am* just a newbie so I don't really lift that much more (I can go up to 70kg now, not more).

Should the shoulder blades be directly over the bar, or slightly more forward?
I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "tucked in" :/

Put simply, your shoulder, hand, and bar should make a perpendicular line from the ground when seen from the side.

As for tucked in, imagine you're trying to pinch a broom with your shoulder blades and then push your shoulder blades down. They should stay in that position while you're pulling.
Official Entusman #21
phyre112
Profile Joined August 2009
United States3090 Posts
December 13 2017 21:16 GMT
#3876
On December 14 2017 01:42 Jerubaal wrote:
It's not the position of his hips but the curve of his back that I'm concerned with. We can't really say until we see him try a full load.

If you're concerned with the curve of his back, talk about the curve of his back not about getting his hips lower or "under the bar" or however you phrased it.

His lower back is flat-ish (likely as flat as mobility will allow, he should stretch more) and most importantly it remains in the same position of flexion/extension throughout the lift. Lower hips to start or in any way making the deadlift more resemble a clean or a squat is only going to make the mobility demands on his hamstrings/glutes/low back worse, not better.
Jerubaal
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
United States7684 Posts
December 13 2017 22:27 GMT
#3877
I'm not talking about his hip position.

I'm talking about his hips because he's grabbing the bar almost straight legged and his back is convex throughout the setup until the last moment. He managed to keep his back flat this time, but I wouldn't be surprised to see rounding if he tried a heavier weight.
I'm not stupid, a marauder just shot my brain.
IgnE
Profile Joined November 2010
United States7684 Posts
December 14 2017 05:17 GMT
#3878
its neutral spine rather than "straight spine" and imo his spine is not neutral at setup. his spine rather looks like it would if he were sitting in a chair, where his lumbar kind of rounds in under his bad posture (we all do it, not hatin). this is made worse by his obvious tendency to "bend over" first on the way down rather than to push his hips backs to initiate the movement. thats why his spine actually looks like its flexing throughout the movement even though if you pause it any particular spot it looks straight-ish
It is terrible to die of thirst at sea. Must you so salt your truth that it will no longer even slake thirst?
TerransHill
Profile Joined February 2011
Germany572 Posts
December 14 2017 13:05 GMT
#3879
Do you guys have any recommendations for training "on the road"? In my job I'm travelling around alot and the gyms in the hotels usually have miserable equipment. I have a nationwide gym membership, but sometimes it is still hard to find a gym close.
Can you recommend stuff like TRX or freeletics?
Respect my authoritah!!
farvacola
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
United States18869 Posts
December 14 2017 14:09 GMT
#3880
My buddy loves his TRX, but I've never seen the allure having tried it myself. Still, stuff like that is a good way to keep up with exercise while Kerouac'ing it
"when the Dead Kennedys found out they had skinhead fans, they literally wrote a song titled 'Nazi Punks Fuck Off'"
Prev 1 192 193 194 195 196 234 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Kung Fu Cup
20:00
Kung Fu Cup Weekly #26
IntoTheiNu 832
RotterdaM400
SteadfastSC165
TKL 156
Rex103
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
RotterdaM 400
ByuN 254
SteadfastSC 165
TKL 156
Rex 103
Codebar 37
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 33925
Shuttle 2020
Jaedong 811
Bisu 623
Horang2 576
Soulkey 477
Stork 299
Mini 298
Larva 243
actioN 240
[ Show more ]
BeSt 220
Soma 201
EffOrt 193
Mong 166
firebathero 158
Last 147
Rush 139
Snow 130
ZerO 121
Zeus 100
Free 80
910 77
Pusan 75
Mind 69
Hyun 65
PianO 55
Shinee 51
Sharp 45
Shine 44
hero 42
Yoon 42
JYJ 33
Sexy 33
Bale 26
sorry 25
Aegong 21
Hm[arnc] 20
HiyA 20
ToSsGirL 19
ZergMaN 13
yabsab 13
Sacsri 12
scan(afreeca) 11
Noble 10
Icarus 5
Terrorterran 2
Dota 2
Gorgc2562
Dendi961
canceldota70
Counter-Strike
olofmeister1263
edward6
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King212
Heroes of the Storm
crisheroes446
Other Games
gofns58854
singsing2203
Lowko311
B2W.Neo231
DeMusliM201
hiko187
Pyrionflax175
Livibee147
QueenE45
Trikslyr30
ZerO(Twitch)10
Organizations
StarCraft: Brood War
UltimateBattle 1030
Other Games
BasetradeTV177
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream27
[ Show 11 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• WagamamaTV444
League of Legends
• Jankos1261
Other Games
• Shiphtur585
Upcoming Events
Patches Events
3h 26m
The PondCast
21h 26m
INu's Battles
22h 26m
Percival vs SHIN
Zoun vs herO
OSC
1d 9h
Replay Cast
1d 10h
OSC
2 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
3 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
3 days
Patches Events
4 days
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
WardiTV Weekly
5 days
PiGosaur Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.