• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 02:27
CEST 08:27
KST 15:27
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)73Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4) StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups?
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft Sagi.gg Launcher Released Fantasy returning? BSL Season 23 Bot on ladder
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Artificial Intelligence Thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Canadian Politics Mega-thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9509 users

TeamLiquid Health and Fitness Initiative For 2023 - Page 196

Forum Index > Sports
Post a Reply
Prev 1 194 195 196 197 198 234 Next
Jerubaal
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
United States7684 Posts
December 19 2017 20:18 GMT
#3901
I'm not sure what you think CICO means exactly. According to CICO, the form of the energy source is mostly irrelevant and obesity is a disease of consuming too many calories. 3kCals of carbs or fat shouldn't make a difference.

Here is the part of the video where Taubes talks about those regions I mentioned, although the whole video is worth watching.



I've done keto twice and it is effective but tough sledding at first. I just couldn't stay on it long enough to get the full benefit. I think the best strategy is to gradually scale down your carb intake, especially considering insulin's effect on hunger and energy.
I'm not stupid, a marauder just shot my brain.
L_Master
Profile Blog Joined April 2009
United States8017 Posts
December 19 2017 20:33 GMT
#3902
On December 20 2017 05:18 Jerubaal wrote:
I'm not sure what you think CICO means exactly. According to CICO, the form of the energy source is mostly irrelevant and obesity is a disease of consuming too many calories. 3kCals of carbs or fat shouldn't make a difference.

Here is the part of the video where Taubes talks about those regions I mentioned, although the whole video is worth watching.

https://youtu.be/qEuIlQONcHw?t=6m4s

I've done keto twice and it is effective but tough sledding at first. I just couldn't stay on it long enough to get the full benefit. I think the best strategy is to gradually scale down your carb intake, especially considering insulin's effect on hunger and energy.


Keto is endurance suicide, so I couldn't do full Keto. I could definitely scale back carbs though.
EffOrt and Soulkey Hwaiting!
Jerubaal
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
United States7684 Posts
December 20 2017 04:02 GMT
#3903
I've been suffering some wrist and elbow pain while benching. I'm taking it easy, but, by chance, Dave Tate published an article where the recommends doing light bicep curls to strengthen the supinators and elbow flexors.
I'm not stupid, a marauder just shot my brain.
decafchicken
Profile Blog Joined January 2005
United States20168 Posts
December 20 2017 04:43 GMT
#3904
On December 20 2017 13:02 Jerubaal wrote:
I've been suffering some wrist and elbow pain while benching. I'm taking it easy, but, by chance, Dave Tate published an article where the recommends doing light bicep curls to strengthen the supinators and elbow flexors.


Do these instead
how reasonable is it to eat off wood instead of your tummy?
Jerubaal
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
United States7684 Posts
December 20 2017 05:01 GMT
#3905
On December 20 2017 13:43 decafchicken wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 20 2017 13:02 Jerubaal wrote:
I've been suffering some wrist and elbow pain while benching. I'm taking it easy, but, by chance, Dave Tate published an article where the recommends doing light bicep curls to strengthen the supinators and elbow flexors.


Do these instead


Do what now?
I'm not stupid, a marauder just shot my brain.
decafchicken
Profile Blog Joined January 2005
United States20168 Posts
December 20 2017 05:21 GMT
#3906
lol sorry here link
how reasonable is it to eat off wood instead of your tummy?
Pulimuli1
Profile Joined August 2017
33 Posts
December 20 2017 11:56 GMT
#3907
On December 20 2017 13:02 Jerubaal wrote:
I've been suffering some wrist and elbow pain while benching. I'm taking it easy, but, by chance, Dave Tate published an article where the recommends doing light bicep curls to strengthen the supinators and elbow flexors.


strengthening the biceps/brachialis is usually a good idea for elbow prehab/rehab. No sure how effective they are for elbow pain while benching tho.
Jerubaal
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
United States7684 Posts
December 20 2017 14:33 GMT
#3908
@decafchicken Do you do those only on offdays or do you do them before/after you bench? I tried them and definitely could feel it in my elbow.
I'm not stupid, a marauder just shot my brain.
decafchicken
Profile Blog Joined January 2005
United States20168 Posts
December 21 2017 03:51 GMT
#3909
On December 20 2017 23:33 Jerubaal wrote:
@decafchicken Do you do those only on offdays or do you do them before/after you bench? I tried them and definitely could feel it in my elbow.


You can do a bit of it before benching, or just the rotation back and forth without the pails/rails a bunch to get warmed up. Spend more time on it at the end of your workout hitting it harder.
how reasonable is it to eat off wood instead of your tummy?
L_Master
Profile Blog Joined April 2009
United States8017 Posts
December 21 2017 04:04 GMT
#3910
Well 3x5x245 went up good on DL.

Only thing that worries me is that I've had two days where on a pull it felt not so great, twingy esque, in my hammy. Is that something to be worried about? I'd rather not suffer a hamstring tear.

Bracing and such is getting much better, I'm not leaving DL days with a sore or exhausted back so between that and thinking less of pull and more of push the floor away plus hip hinge seems to be keeping me from trying to do the lift with my erectors.
EffOrt and Soulkey Hwaiting!
VHbb
Profile Joined October 2014
692 Posts
December 21 2017 14:28 GMT
#3911
Hi guys!

Sorry I didn't reply much to your comments to my videos.. thanks so much for the advice!!
Unfortunately I've been traveling in the past 7-10 days, so not much chance to go to the gym (luckily I can run wherever I want, so I'm doing something).. I'll go back to what you suggest once I'll have the chance to test your suggestions directly at the gym..

Next week the ski season will start so the gym will be interrupted at least until January, more updates then I hope..
(I must say, I'm sooo much more excited for ski than I'll ever be for gym - sorry!)

Have nice holidays and a good winter break everyone !
My life for Aiur !
L_Master
Profile Blog Joined April 2009
United States8017 Posts
December 26 2017 19:49 GMT
#3912
Saw a gym about 10 miles from me is hosting a push-pull meet, which is if I understand right is bench/deadlift. Considering entering. I know I'll get smoked, but that's fine.

Thoughts?
EffOrt and Soulkey Hwaiting!
farvacola
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
United States18869 Posts
December 26 2017 19:58 GMT
#3913
If you're the sort of competitor I'm thinking, I'd say do it so long as you think your form and technique is at a point where it can withstand some competitive overclocking. I've been at enough meets where hard competitors with form not good enough to push through end up doing bad things lol, but all things considered, boundary pushing is what getting stronger is all about it.
"when the Dead Kennedys found out they had skinhead fans, they literally wrote a song titled 'Nazi Punks Fuck Off'"
L_Master
Profile Blog Joined April 2009
United States8017 Posts
December 26 2017 20:11 GMT
#3914
On December 27 2017 04:58 farvacola wrote:
If you're the sort of competitor I'm thinking, I'd say do it so long as you think your form and technique is at a point where it can withstand some competitive overclocking. I've been at enough meets where hard competitors with form not good enough to push through end up doing bad things lol, but all things considered, boundary pushing is what getting stronger is all about it.


I *think* it is. I'll be getting into some triples over the next few weeks on bench/deadlift, so I'll try to see how those feel and how technique is holding up.

I'd be thinking to take a very easy opener, like something I've done for a triple, then move up to something I'm quite confident I could do for a double, and then if everything really goes well shoot for an estimated max from a calculator...unless you guys think there are better ways to plan it.
EffOrt and Soulkey Hwaiting!
decafchicken
Profile Blog Joined January 2005
United States20168 Posts
December 27 2017 05:29 GMT
#3915
On December 27 2017 05:11 L_Master wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 27 2017 04:58 farvacola wrote:
If you're the sort of competitor I'm thinking, I'd say do it so long as you think your form and technique is at a point where it can withstand some competitive overclocking. I've been at enough meets where hard competitors with form not good enough to push through end up doing bad things lol, but all things considered, boundary pushing is what getting stronger is all about it.


I *think* it is. I'll be getting into some triples over the next few weeks on bench/deadlift, so I'll try to see how those feel and how technique is holding up.

I'd be thinking to take a very easy opener, like something I've done for a triple, then move up to something I'm quite confident I could do for a double, and then if everything really goes well shoot for an estimated max from a calculator...unless you guys think there are better ways to plan it.

Dont be a little bitch. PRs or die YOLO (you only lift once)

But really, opening with a weight you can triple is probably overly conservative.
how reasonable is it to eat off wood instead of your tummy?
phyre112
Profile Joined August 2009
United States3090 Posts
December 27 2017 14:18 GMT
#3916
On December 27 2017 14:29 decafchicken wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 27 2017 05:11 L_Master wrote:
On December 27 2017 04:58 farvacola wrote:
If you're the sort of competitor I'm thinking, I'd say do it so long as you think your form and technique is at a point where it can withstand some competitive overclocking. I've been at enough meets where hard competitors with form not good enough to push through end up doing bad things lol, but all things considered, boundary pushing is what getting stronger is all about it.


I *think* it is. I'll be getting into some triples over the next few weeks on bench/deadlift, so I'll try to see how those feel and how technique is holding up.

I'd be thinking to take a very easy opener, like something I've done for a triple, then move up to something I'm quite confident I could do for a double, and then if everything really goes well shoot for an estimated max from a calculator...unless you guys think there are better ways to plan it.

Dont be a little bitch. PRs or die YOLO (you only lift once)

But really, opening with a weight you can triple is probably overly conservative.

Depends how far you are into your "lifting career" and whether you're feeling good day of, I think. It's pretty common advice for beginners at their first meet to open with something they could triple. Nerves, new environment, potentially a weight or water cut if you're into that.... lots of things to go wrong, and you don't want to bomb out.

Open conservative - if it feels like a bad day warming up, then do something you think you can triple. If everything feels good, then something you think would be a double. Second attempt you can shoot for that calculated 1rm and then either take that again for the third if it doesn't go up, or chase a real strong PR on the third if you lock down the second.

For example my last "mock meet" I had calculated 1rms of 405/265/480 for squat/bench/dead. The thing about calculated 1rms is if you're basing them off anything more than a double/triple and you dont regularly get any really heavy work in, you're just not going to be prepared. You're not going to be able to "use the strength you have" without a technical breakdown getting in the way and robbing you of some pounds, if that makes sense - or at least that's what I chalk my results up to.

I hit 385 and 415 on squat and missed an overly ambitious 445. 385 is a double for me on a bad day, 415 is technically a PR. Bench is very inconsistant for me. I hit 240, which on a bad day with no spotter I triple, and I might hit for 5 with a good lift off. I missed 270 for technique reasons, and decided to jump 10 pounds anyway. Probably a bad decision, but I hit it (280). By deadlifts I was worn out (we'd been going for over two, almost three hours), and I wasn't properly peaked (been doing two months of hypertrophy work with no heavy pulls from the floor) so I opened a very conservative 405, which two months before I'd have hit for 7 or more. It felt heavy but I pulled it. did 455 which felt exactly the same. Went for 505 which would have been a 20 pounds (or 5%) PR on my all time best and missed it. Just one example of attempt selection.

Fwiw boris sheiko (big time russian powerlifting coach) gives the general recommendation (some variance for his personally trained lifters of course, but you get what you pay for) to open at 95%, take a second at 100%, and a third at 105%. That's using projected 1rm for new lifters, and actual tested 1rm for more advanced lifters. If you miss a lift just take that number over again rather than trying to move up - he's all about "building the total" not about chasing a big PR in a specific lift.

Most importantly though GL HF. I'm doing my first "real" meet on may 12th.
mordek
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
United States12705 Posts
December 27 2017 15:07 GMT
#3917
There's a similar type meet near me in February. If I had been at all consistent and healthy this past year would be cool to try but my ego won't let me go to a meet with bench and put up such a low number
It is vanity to love what passes quickly and not to look ahead where eternal joy abides. Tiberius77 | Mordek #1881 "I took a mint!"
L_Master
Profile Blog Joined April 2009
United States8017 Posts
Last Edited: 2017-12-28 00:25:01
December 28 2017 00:21 GMT
#3918
On December 27 2017 14:29 decafchicken wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 27 2017 05:11 L_Master wrote:
On December 27 2017 04:58 farvacola wrote:
If you're the sort of competitor I'm thinking, I'd say do it so long as you think your form and technique is at a point where it can withstand some competitive overclocking. I've been at enough meets where hard competitors with form not good enough to push through end up doing bad things lol, but all things considered, boundary pushing is what getting stronger is all about it.


I *think* it is. I'll be getting into some triples over the next few weeks on bench/deadlift, so I'll try to see how those feel and how technique is holding up.

I'd be thinking to take a very easy opener, like something I've done for a triple, then move up to something I'm quite confident I could do for a double, and then if everything really goes well shoot for an estimated max from a calculator...unless you guys think there are better ways to plan it.

Dont be a little bitch. PRs or die YOLO (you only lift once)

But really, opening with a weight you can triple is probably overly conservative.


Should I just ask for 900 on the bar and see how they look at me?

I'll be just like my hero:
EffOrt and Soulkey Hwaiting!
Garbels
Profile Joined July 2010
Austria653 Posts
December 28 2017 00:58 GMT
#3919
Thats a fascinating video!
IgnE
Profile Joined November 2010
United States7681 Posts
December 28 2017 01:27 GMT
#3920
what the fuck?
The unrealistic sound of these propositions is indicative, not of their utopian character, but of the strength of the forces which prevent their realization.
Prev 1 194 195 196 197 198 234 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 3h 33m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft: Brood War
GuemChi 1021
910 108
Hyun 68
NotJumperer 45
Bale 34
sorry 25
Noble 11
ajuk12(nOOB) 7
Britney 0
Dota 2
febbydoto219
League of Legends
JimRising 610
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King137
Other Games
summit1g6843
Coldzera 719
WinterStarcraft388
C9.Mang0234
ceh9232
NeuroSwarm108
ViBE32
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick609
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream38
[ Show 14 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• practicex 31
• Letter146
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2246
League of Legends
• Rush1181
• Lourlo1032
• Stunt364
Upcoming Events
Afreeca Starleague
3h 33m
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
4h 33m
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
17h 33m
Patches Events
1d 9h
The PondCast
2 days
INu's Battles
2 days
Percival vs TBD
TBD vs herO
OSC
2 days
Replay Cast
2 days
OSC
3 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
4 days
[ Show More ]
Sparkling Tuna Cup
5 days
Patches Events
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.