• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 03:52
CEST 09:52
KST 16:52
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror3[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup8StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)67Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2316
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups? October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Sagi.gg Launcher Released [ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror Fantasy returning? BW General Discussion PLAYzone Challenge - open offline tour in Prague
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 2v2v2v2 Tournament
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8434 users

Teamliquid Health and Fitness Initiative for 2014 - Page 100

Forum Index > Sports
Post a Reply
Prev 1 98 99 100 101 102 173 Next
Donkeys
Profile Joined August 2010
Mexico308 Posts
July 08 2014 05:23 GMT
#1981
Hit 97 on the snatch and 118 on the CJ today! Also 145x3 on the squat. Haven't hit those numbers in 3-4 weeks. I think I fixed my arm bend on the snatch, lifts have been feeling much better. I try to relax my arms on the clean too but I can't control my arm bend, arms are extended when I finish the pull though, so I don't know. I'll try to keep it closer past the knee.

http://www.belowtherimyo.blogspot.com/
ii.blitzkrieg
Profile Joined November 2006
Canada1122 Posts
July 08 2014 05:36 GMT
#1982
Forced myself into the gym today after only getting in twice in the past 2 weeks. Felt so fucking terrible in that time and I don't know why (fuck you depression.) Anyway I told myself I was going to the gym no matter what today, weekend wasn't that bad aside from lack of sleep.

Feel so much better now, I think the worse you feel before going in the better you feel when you're in the gym/afterwards. At least that seems to be the case for me.
iloveoov / Flash / Fantasy / Midas / Boxer -BW forever
phyre112
Profile Joined August 2009
United States3090 Posts
July 08 2014 07:18 GMT
#1983
Missed a workout today because I was with my family doing a late 4th of july thing. Should have been (and probably will be on thursday)

15 minutes to work to 1rm power snatch
Front Squats 5x7 (ouch) w/ 2 min rest between sets

Then 21-15-9 of:
Thrusters (135 - probably will scale to 115)
Bar Muscle Ups (possibly will scale for 1 pullup 1 dip, or maybe just 2 pullups)

Tomorrow's workout is already posted. It's Probably going to kill me, but I'll leave that for tomorrow to post.

And whoever posted about lucky brand jeans fitting well over big quads (I think it was decaf?) Thanks a ton. Picked up a few pairs today and they're a perfect fit.
decafchicken
Profile Blog Joined January 2005
United States20168 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-07-08 13:50:13
July 08 2014 13:49 GMT
#1984
@donkeys - try some pulls/position work so you can focus on relaxing your arms and activating your back and lats. Try doing them with your eyes closed too to get a feel for it.

@phyre - Yeah that was my recommendation wearing mine now lol. 5x7 FS sounds dumb. No reason to do more than a set of 5 especially with crossfitters and I generally never do more than 3. My gym usually replaces each muscle up with 3 pull ups and 3 dips to motivate people to do muscle ups :p
how reasonable is it to eat off wood instead of your tummy?
zatic
Profile Blog Joined September 2007
Zurich15366 Posts
July 08 2014 14:25 GMT
#1985
I'll try muscle-ups tonight if the gym has a suitable bar. Everyone seems to make such a big deal out of them but they always look so easy to me. But then again I have never tried. Let's see how that goes.
ModeratorI know Teamliquid is known as a massive building
mordek
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
United States12705 Posts
July 08 2014 14:59 GMT
#1986
On July 08 2014 23:25 zatic wrote:
I'll try muscle-ups tonight if the gym has a suitable bar. Everyone seems to make such a big deal out of them but they always look so easy to me. But then again I have never tried. Let's see how that goes.

LOL
Best of luck
It is vanity to love what passes quickly and not to look ahead where eternal joy abides. Tiberius77 | Mordek #1881 "I took a mint!"
Maluk
Profile Joined August 2011
France987 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-07-08 17:32:35
July 08 2014 17:24 GMT
#1987
So after testing weight lifting for a week (transitioning from body weight) I like the program that phyre112 gave me a lot and weight lifting brings me what I was searching for (in short : not having to make tons of reps to progress).

I realized that I don't have the perfect technique for weight lifting exercises yet (I am actually very bad). So I decided to temporarily do 3x10 reps with weights that I can lift a bit more easily rather than 3x5 with weights that feel very heavy, because I want to get a good grasp on the technique before lifting too heavy. I tend to get injuries very easily if my moves are not perfectly adjusted.

I'm getting better at bench press, deadlift, etc. and I feel like my technique will be good enough soon.

When I tried to squat I felt intense pain right below the knees, at the front of my legs (above shinbones), and I still haven't figured out how to make it go away. I asked a coach if something was wrong with my position and he told me that it looked fine to him, so I guess I'll just have to google about my problem or figure out different positions for myself.

Jerubaal
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
United States7684 Posts
July 08 2014 19:14 GMT
#1988
Anyone have any suggestions for workouts that can be done with a light barbell? I'm trying to get back in shape for an imminent return to the gym, but I only have a barbell. I've been doing some squats with 65lbs on it, but without any sort of rack I can only squat what I can clean.
I'm not stupid, a marauder just shot my brain.
phyre112
Profile Joined August 2009
United States3090 Posts
July 08 2014 20:02 GMT
#1989
On July 08 2014 22:49 decafchicken wrote:
@donkeys - try some pulls/position work so you can focus on relaxing your arms and activating your back and lats. Try doing them with your eyes closed too to get a feel for it.

@phyre - Yeah that was my recommendation wearing mine now lol. 5x7 FS sounds dumb. No reason to do more than a set of 5 especially with crossfitters and I generally never do more than 3. My gym usually replaces each muscle up with 3 pull ups and 3 dips to motivate people to do muscle ups :p


I don't know what they'll scale muscle ups for. I've never seen bar muscle ups in a workout, and the last time we did ring muscle ups, it was at the end of an AMRAP, so you just either did them or didn't.

As far as I can tell, the squat work we're doing (just finished three cycles of 5/3/1) alternates front and back squats from week to week, with three squat workouts - first one is 5x7, second is 7x5 and third is 10x3. So in that context it makes more sense... but high rep sets of front squats are still pretty awful for actually building your squat strength.
FFGenerations
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
7088 Posts
July 08 2014 20:17 GMT
#1990
On July 09 2014 02:24 Maluk wrote:
So after testing weight lifting for a week (transitioning from body weight) I like the program that phyre112 gave me a lot and weight lifting brings me what I was searching for (in short : not having to make tons of reps to progress).

I realized that I don't have the perfect technique for weight lifting exercises yet (I am actually very bad). So I decided to temporarily do 3x10 reps with weights that I can lift a bit more easily rather than 3x5 with weights that feel very heavy, because I want to get a good grasp on the technique before lifting too heavy. I tend to get injuries very easily if my moves are not perfectly adjusted.

I'm getting better at bench press, deadlift, etc. and I feel like my technique will be good enough soon.

When I tried to squat I felt intense pain right below the knees, at the front of my legs (above shinbones), and I still haven't figured out how to make it go away. I asked a coach if something was wrong with my position and he told me that it looked fine to him, so I guess I'll just have to google about my problem or figure out different positions for myself.



imo you should NEVER do a movement that gives you "knee pain". be warned
Cool BW Music Vid - youtube.com/watch?v=W54nlqJ-Nx8 ~~~~~ ᕤ OYSTERS ᕤ CLAMS ᕤ AND ᕤ CUCKOLDS ᕤ ~~~~~~ ༼ ᕤ◕◡◕ ༽ᕤ PUNCH HIM ༼ ᕤ◕◡◕ ༽ᕤ
Maluk
Profile Joined August 2011
France987 Posts
July 08 2014 22:43 GMT
#1991
On July 09 2014 05:17 FFGenerations wrote:
+ Show Spoiler +
On July 09 2014 02:24 Maluk wrote:
So after testing weight lifting for a week (transitioning from body weight) I like the program that phyre112 gave me a lot and weight lifting brings me what I was searching for (in short : not having to make tons of reps to progress).

I realized that I don't have the perfect technique for weight lifting exercises yet (I am actually very bad). So I decided to temporarily do 3x10 reps with weights that I can lift a bit more easily rather than 3x5 with weights that feel very heavy, because I want to get a good grasp on the technique before lifting too heavy. I tend to get injuries very easily if my moves are not perfectly adjusted.

I'm getting better at bench press, deadlift, etc. and I feel like my technique will be good enough soon.

When I tried to squat I felt intense pain right below the knees, at the front of my legs (above shinbones), and I still haven't figured out how to make it go away. I asked a coach if something was wrong with my position and he told me that it looked fine to him, so I guess I'll just have to google about my problem or figure out different positions for myself.



imo you should NEVER do a movement that gives you "knee pain". be warned


Yeah, I don't plan on continuing to squat if it is painful. I will try to modify my position first and if I don't find a solution I will just replace the squat (although I guess it should be hard to replace).
IgnE
Profile Joined November 2010
United States7681 Posts
July 08 2014 23:30 GMT
#1992
Post a video of you squatting.
The unrealistic sound of these propositions is indicative, not of their utopian character, but of the strength of the forces which prevent their realization.
funkie
Profile Blog Joined November 2005
Venezuela9377 Posts
July 08 2014 23:43 GMT
#1993
I did a no hands squat on the gym to impress some bitches up in the hizzei (100kg)

Impressed they were. .
CJ Entusman #6! · Strength is the basis of athletic ability. -Rippetoe /* http://j.mp/TL-App <- TL iPhone App 2.0! */
phyre112
Profile Joined August 2009
United States3090 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-07-08 23:46:39
July 08 2014 23:45 GMT
#1994
On July 09 2014 02:24 Maluk wrote:
So after testing weight lifting for a week (transitioning from body weight) I like the program that phyre112 gave me a lot and weight lifting brings me what I was searching for (in short : not having to make tons of reps to progress).

I realized that I don't have the perfect technique for weight lifting exercises yet (I am actually very bad). So I decided to temporarily do 3x10 reps with weights that I can lift a bit more easily rather than 3x5 with weights that feel very heavy, because I want to get a good grasp on the technique before lifting too heavy. I tend to get injuries very easily if my moves are not perfectly adjusted.

That's fine. Just realize that you're not going to make progress as quickly on a 3x10 type of routine, and that you should really be pushing yourself to move back to that 3x5 if you want to start getting actually heavy weights up any time soon.
On July 09 2014 02:24 Maluk wrote:
I'm getting better at bench press, deadlift, etc. and I feel like my technique will be good enough soon.

When I tried to squat I felt intense pain right below the knees, at the front of my legs (above shinbones), and I still haven't figured out how to make it go away. I asked a coach if something was wrong with my position and he told me that it looked fine to him, so I guess I'll just have to google about my problem or figure out different positions for myself.

Take a video of yourself doing the lifts (either ask someone to video tape it, or even just set your phone/camera on a stack of weights or a bench of something. Doesn't have to be perfect) and ask for some tips here. Knee thing probably has to do with flexibility, but could also have to do with muscle imbalances or with old injuries getting aggravated. Can't tell without seeing it.

Today's workout:

conditioning first:
"Black and Blue" - 5 RFT
10 Power Clean @ 135#
10 Burpees
Completed RX'd in 10:01

Strength:
Bench Press 5-4-3-2-1 reps
155/160/165/170/175
DB Strict Press 2x20 @ 30#

Skill:
Chest to Bar pullups 7 sets of 6 w/40 seconds rest

Pullups are coming along really nicely. I'm starting to string them together in sets of three, but then I have to reset myself. Still a lot of progress there. Also first completed conditioning workout at RX weight. Thought I was going to puke from about the 25th burpee until the 42nd power clean. By the 42nd power clean I wasn't thinking anything besides "One more rep" over and over again. A little slow - the competitive guys completed it inlow to mid 4's, but it's still a completed RX workout.

Bench still sux. Nothing to see there. Moving on~~~~.
GoTuNk!
Profile Blog Joined September 2006
Chile4591 Posts
July 09 2014 02:16 GMT
#1995
On July 09 2014 07:43 Maluk wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 09 2014 05:17 FFGenerations wrote:
+ Show Spoiler +
On July 09 2014 02:24 Maluk wrote:
So after testing weight lifting for a week (transitioning from body weight) I like the program that phyre112 gave me a lot and weight lifting brings me what I was searching for (in short : not having to make tons of reps to progress).

I realized that I don't have the perfect technique for weight lifting exercises yet (I am actually very bad). So I decided to temporarily do 3x10 reps with weights that I can lift a bit more easily rather than 3x5 with weights that feel very heavy, because I want to get a good grasp on the technique before lifting too heavy. I tend to get injuries very easily if my moves are not perfectly adjusted.

I'm getting better at bench press, deadlift, etc. and I feel like my technique will be good enough soon.

When I tried to squat I felt intense pain right below the knees, at the front of my legs (above shinbones), and I still haven't figured out how to make it go away. I asked a coach if something was wrong with my position and he told me that it looked fine to him, so I guess I'll just have to google about my problem or figure out different positions for myself.



imo you should NEVER do a movement that gives you "knee pain". be warned


Yeah, I don't plan on continuing to squat if it is painful. I will try to modify my position first and if I don't find a solution I will just replace the squat (although I guess it should be hard to replace).


Don't stop squatting, that's not solving the problem. If you have shooting pain during the squats there is an underliying condition you need to identify.
ShadeR
Profile Blog Joined December 2009
Australia7535 Posts
July 09 2014 03:38 GMT
#1996
If anything squats will fix your knees.
GoTuNk!
Profile Blog Joined September 2006
Chile4591 Posts
July 09 2014 05:01 GMT
#1997
Forgot to mention, I've went from a 4 pack to a fat slob for my standards.

Going back to tight diet, only exception are hard liquors on weekends.
IgnE
Profile Joined November 2010
United States7681 Posts
July 09 2014 05:46 GMT
#1998
http://suppversity.blogspot.com/2014/07/go-hard-or-go-home-study-reveals.html

Bottom line: The 24h+ reduction in myostatin in response to the high intensity trial alone would support the statement "Go Hard or Go Go Home!" In conjunction with the significant increase in MGF, the data Popov et al. present in their latest paper provide compelling evidence in favor of heavy resistance training as a means to trigger a maximal hypertrophy response - and that despite the fact that another often-measured indicator of skeletal muscle hypertrophy, i.e. ERK-1/2 (linked to protein synthesis) did not depend on exercise intensity and was thus identical for the similarly stressing MIR and HI trials.
The unrealistic sound of these propositions is indicative, not of their utopian character, but of the strength of the forces which prevent their realization.
thedeadhaji *
Profile Blog Joined January 2006
39489 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-07-09 08:56:07
July 09 2014 08:55 GMT
#1999
Does anyone know Dimsum's contact info?
A friend of mine who's oly lifting seriously is visiting nj next week and I wanted to put them in touch.
marvellosity
Profile Joined January 2011
United Kingdom36161 Posts
July 09 2014 09:57 GMT
#2000
On July 09 2014 14:46 IgnE wrote:
http://suppversity.blogspot.com/2014/07/go-hard-or-go-home-study-reveals.html

Show nested quote +
Bottom line: The 24h+ reduction in myostatin in response to the high intensity trial alone would support the statement "Go Hard or Go Go Home!" In conjunction with the significant increase in MGF, the data Popov et al. present in their latest paper provide compelling evidence in favor of heavy resistance training as a means to trigger a maximal hypertrophy response - and that despite the fact that another often-measured indicator of skeletal muscle hypertrophy, i.e. ERK-1/2 (linked to protein synthesis) did not depend on exercise intensity and was thus identical for the similarly stressing MIR and HI trials.

What I appreciate about articles like that is that it doesn't claim more than its results indicate. Always nice.
[15:15] <Palmar> and yes marv, you're a total hottie
Prev 1 98 99 100 101 102 173 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 2h 8m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
ProTech169
StarCraft: Brood War
Mong 387
Leta 286
Dewaltoss 110
sSak 63
Killer 41
Bale 34
ZergMaN 30
NotJumperer 30
Aegong 27
Shinee 14
[ Show more ]
yabsab 11
Noble 9
Sharp 1
League of Legends
JimRising 541
Reynor43
Counter-Strike
byalli0
Other Games
summit1g10567
olofmeister633
Sick196
Happy162
KnowMe24
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick763
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream41
[ Show 11 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Rush1258
• Jankos645
• Stunt471
Upcoming Events
Afreeca Starleague
2h 8m
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
3h 8m
Monday Night Weeklies
8h 8m
Replay Cast
15h 8m
Afreeca Starleague
1d 2h
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
1d 3h
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
1d 16h
The PondCast
3 days
INu's Battles
3 days
Replay Cast
4 days
[ Show More ]
BSL: Ladder Tournament
5 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6 days
Patches Events
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.