• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 08:18
CEST 14:18
KST 21:18
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Rollback Netcode in Brood War445.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202621Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
$3,500 WardiTV Not-Summer Championship ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event RSL 2026 Offline Finals LCQ Sign-Ups Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
TL Sidebar missing streams Mineral Boosting (2 workers/patch) BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ Rollback Netcode in Brood War [ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
TeamLiquid Health and Fitness Initiative For 2023 Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8836 users

Diet Soda ok or bad? - Page 2

Forum Index > Sports
Post a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All
Euronyme
Profile Joined August 2010
Sweden3804 Posts
November 07 2011 15:20 GMT
#21
Well if you actually think of it as a diet product, you should think again.
Drinking 8 cans a day is definitely NOT good for you. Water is the way to go, and it's free.
I bet i can maı̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̨̨̨̨̨̨ke you wipe your screen.
decafchicken
Profile Blog Joined January 2005
United States20169 Posts
November 07 2011 16:48 GMT
#22
On November 07 2011 17:34 Klogon wrote:
decafchicken, do you drink your coffee decaf?


I feel about decaf coffee the same way i feel about non-alcoholic beer. What's the point? I do eat my chicken decaf though.
how reasonable is it to eat off wood instead of your tummy?
Blackhawk13
Profile Joined April 2010
United States442 Posts
November 07 2011 16:49 GMT
#23
8 cans O_O?

You should be in some kind of diet soda study lol. That much soda will definitely fuck up your teeth at the very least
eshlow
Profile Joined June 2008
United States5210 Posts
November 07 2011 18:02 GMT
#24
Only good drinks =

water
tea
coffee

avoid everything else
Overcoming Gravity: A Systematic Approach to Gymnastics and Bodyweight Strength
sJarl
Profile Joined September 2010
Iceland1699 Posts
November 07 2011 18:12 GMT
#25
and beer.
"Witness!" - Karsa Orlong
SoBeDragon
Profile Joined October 2010
United States192 Posts
November 07 2011 18:18 GMT
#26
Soda is bad for you, diet or not. The artificial sweeteners and syrups that are put in them are just no good. Drink your water people!
If at first you don't succeed, redefine the parameters for success.
Ingenol
Profile Blog Joined November 2008
United States1328 Posts
November 07 2011 18:19 GMT
#27
I am a recovering diet soda fiend. Here are just some of the reasons you shouldn't drink it:

1) Frequent exposure to diet soda's acidity is not good for teeth.

2) If you drink diet cola (Coke, Pepsi, Dr. Pepper, etc.) it contains phosphoric acid which can cause problems with calcium deposition in bones, teeth, etc, beyond just the basic acidity of soda from its carbonation.

3) That shit is expensive. I have probably spent several thousand USD over the past decade on diet soda.

4) Aspartame contains aspartic acid, and since aspartame is such a simple molecule, contributes to high levels of free aspartic acid in the gut. Aspartic acid can act as an excitotoxin (similar to the free glutamate in MSG), crossing the blood/brain barrier and leading to a host of problems. You often hear of former diet soda addicts who report that after stopping they don't feel as depressed, "cloudy," or are free of a host of other mental symptoms. These people are almost always sensitive to excitotoxins.

5) Even though it's free of sugar, lots of new research is suggesting that your brain still perceives diet soda as a "high reward food," and as such large consumption of diet soda can actually cause your body to store more fat (altering its so-called "setpoint") and to crave high reward foods. In this way diet soda can actually be both addictive and detrimental to efforts to eat well and be healthy.

I found it incredibly difficult to quit at first (I went cold turkey, and recommend it to those looking to stop), but haven't had any in nearly two months now. I find my sweet cravings are very much reduced and that "real" food actually tastes much better now, and I'm more able to appreciate subtle flavors and the natural sweetness that is in normal food.
Twisted
Profile Blog Joined September 2002
Netherlands13554 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-11-07 18:30:19
November 07 2011 18:27 GMT
#28
Soda is pretty damn bad. I'd scale it just below smoking as the number 2 health hazard in normal modern Western society.

It's not just the sugar, it's the gross syrups and not to mention the ridiculous amount of sodium in soda's that are bad. And artificial sweeteners? I think the name of it basically explains everything.

Also, these 'studies' that show aspartame is not as bad? Can't see that being true ever. There are also studies that show that by drinking diet soda's you actually get sugar cravings more because your body thinks it's getting sugar but it really isn't so it craves the junk. Not saying this is true per se, but it makes you think about if aspartame is good or not.

Or what Ingenol said. Avoid the junk.
Moderator
Slithe
Profile Blog Joined February 2007
United States985 Posts
November 07 2011 21:01 GMT
#29
On November 08 2011 03:19 Ingenol wrote:
5) Even though it's free of sugar, lots of new research is suggesting that your brain still perceives diet soda as a "high reward food," and as such large consumption of diet soda can actually cause your body to store more fat (altering its so-called "setpoint") and to crave high reward foods. In this way diet soda can actually be both addictive and detrimental to efforts to eat well and be healthy.


I think this point is really big, especially for those who are trying to diet properly. Your body become accustomed to a pretty high level of sweetness, and so it becomes a lot harder to resist the cravings. 8 cans per day is a lot, I would definitely recommend at least toning down the quantity.
crms
Profile Joined February 2010
United States11933 Posts
November 07 2011 21:09 GMT
#30
If you're going to drink soda, diet is the only way to go.

I find it silly people are citing bad reasons such as 'it can make you crave more sweets!' as if some how just straight up injesting 200+ calories by drinking a normal soda is better than the -potential- to be mentally weak and break from your diet by drinking too much diet soda.


But alas, soda isn't ever really GOOD for you, diet or not. If you're serious about losing weight i'd just stick to water. If you have to cheat and drink soda make sure it's diet.
http://i.imgur.com/fAUOr2c.png | Fighting games are great
dAPhREAk
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
Nauru12397 Posts
November 07 2011 21:09 GMT
#31
issues with diet soda:

- supposed carcinogenic effect of some sweeteners (tested in rats and some proof found)
- drinking "sweet" drinks even if they have no calories themselves has been linked to weight gain because the sweetness makes you want to eat more (lots of studies)
- rots your teeth (seriously); the acid in the soda will destroy the enamel on your teeth (use a straw is what my oral hygienist told me)
- yellow dye no. 5 shrinks your balls (what i was told in high school; not sure what to think)
- caffeine can cause certain health problems and is addictive; drink a lot of caffeine for a week and see what happens when you quit cold turkey.

i drink a lot of diet mt dew, which has a ton of caffeine, but is awesome. i am trying to cut down, but its just so damn good.
Pulimuli
Profile Blog Joined February 2007
Sweden2766 Posts
November 07 2011 21:14 GMT
#32
I drink diet soda (used to drink regular) but diet soda doesnt fuck up your blood-sugar levels the way normal soda does with the sugar.

Optimal would be to drink only water though
Slithe
Profile Blog Joined February 2007
United States985 Posts
November 07 2011 21:22 GMT
#33
On November 08 2011 06:09 crms wrote:
I find it silly people are citing bad reasons such as 'it can make you crave more sweets!' as if some how just straight up injesting 200+ calories by drinking a normal soda is better than the -potential- to be mentally weak and break from your diet by drinking too much diet soda.


The argument was not targeted towards describing why diet soda is better than normal soda. Even if it's not as bad as normal soda for dieting, it's still bad.
crms
Profile Joined February 2010
United States11933 Posts
November 07 2011 21:52 GMT
#34
On November 08 2011 06:22 Slithe wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 08 2011 06:09 crms wrote:
I find it silly people are citing bad reasons such as 'it can make you crave more sweets!' as if some how just straight up injesting 200+ calories by drinking a normal soda is better than the -potential- to be mentally weak and break from your diet by drinking too much diet soda.


The argument was not targeted towards describing why diet soda is better than normal soda. Even if it's not as bad as normal soda for dieting, it's still bad.


I wasn't directing at you, sorry if it seemed that way. Others in this thread have advocated regular soda over diet for this reason, as well as some deluded coworkers of mine..

Anyway, I agree, soda of any type is bad for a dieter!
http://i.imgur.com/fAUOr2c.png | Fighting games are great
GregtehGerg
Profile Joined January 2011
United States10 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-11-07 22:11:19
November 07 2011 21:57 GMT
#35
I did my best not to click on the link for this thread but I could not resist,

I am a food science major at Ohio State university and I would like to make a few points. Everything I'm about to list is the majority opinion of the food scientist community and to the best of our scientific knowledge is correct.

- An average person must drink 17 cans worth of diet soda, every day of the year, in order for aspartame to begin to build up in their system.
- The studies done on rats showed cancerous growth when they were fed the aspartame equivalent of 500 cans of diet soda per day. The validity of these tests has also been doubted. There have also been tests done that have shown no link between aspartame and cancerous growth.
- No artificial sweetener currently on the market has been linked to cancerous growth or any other side effect in a reputable study. What i mean by this is any study that has been done and shown side effects of artificial sweeteners, has not been able to be replicated by other researchers.


Personal opinion (based on scientific knowledge):

Diet sodas are fine to drink if you so choose.


Any questions feel free to PM me
wonderwall
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
New Zealand695 Posts
November 07 2011 21:58 GMT
#36
With diet soda all the arguments seem to be on "How severe are the negative health consequences from drinking it". There's no chance that its doing you any good. Just stick with milk and water. I stopped drinking all soda and diet soda near the start of last year. Ended up getting a free cup of coke a month ago, decided to try it, tasted awful. You only want it because you're so used to it.
BlissX1
Profile Blog Joined October 2009
United States328 Posts
November 07 2011 22:00 GMT
#37
soda in general is bad.... a true body builder will probably only drink green tea(no sugar), water, and milk. Protein shakes are optional for those with busy busy lives.
XtremeOneZ 4 Life Bliss[x.1]
two.watup
Profile Joined March 2011
United States371 Posts
November 07 2011 22:25 GMT
#38
Yeah I drink like 3 cans a day, and I've always been paranoid about what it does, but reading Greg's post, as well as an incredible amount online, you're pretty safe unless you inject gallons of it into your bloodstream.

Everyone saying "it's sweet and makes you want to eat sweet things" - that's just silly. If you are so mentally weak that you're going to give in to cravings, you're obviously not ready for a diet.

I've actually had the exact opposite reaction. Because I can drink diet coke, I don't crave sweets or fat things, because I enjoy the taste of diet coke, so I don't miss the other tastes. Because of diet coke I've lost 42 lbs in the last 6 weeks.
Orpheos
Profile Joined April 2010
United States1663 Posts
November 07 2011 22:33 GMT
#39
On November 08 2011 07:25 two.watup wrote:
Yeah I drink like 3 cans a day, and I've always been paranoid about what it does, but reading Greg's post, as well as an incredible amount online, you're pretty safe unless you inject gallons of it into your bloodstream.

Everyone saying "it's sweet and makes you want to eat sweet things" - that's just silly. If you are so mentally weak that you're going to give in to cravings, you're obviously not ready for a diet.

I've actually had the exact opposite reaction. Because I can drink diet coke, I don't crave sweets or fat things, because I enjoy the taste of diet coke, so I don't miss the other tastes. Because of diet coke I've lost 42 lbs in the last 6 weeks.

i wonder how much more you would lose if you drank water!
two.watup
Profile Joined March 2011
United States371 Posts
November 07 2011 22:38 GMT
#40
On November 08 2011 07:33 Orpheos wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 08 2011 07:25 two.watup wrote:
Yeah I drink like 3 cans a day, and I've always been paranoid about what it does, but reading Greg's post, as well as an incredible amount online, you're pretty safe unless you inject gallons of it into your bloodstream.

Everyone saying "it's sweet and makes you want to eat sweet things" - that's just silly. If you are so mentally weak that you're going to give in to cravings, you're obviously not ready for a diet.

I've actually had the exact opposite reaction. Because I can drink diet coke, I don't crave sweets or fat things, because I enjoy the taste of diet coke, so I don't miss the other tastes. Because of diet coke I've lost 42 lbs in the last 6 weeks.

i wonder how much more you would lose if you drank water!

None, diet coke doesn't have any calories.

And I do drink water.
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Online Event
21:00
ONSYDE Invitational
TaKeTV 147
TKL 93
CranKy Ducklings32
Big Brain Bouts
19:00
#129
GgMaChine vs HeRoMaRinELIVE!
Reynor vs herO
RotterdaM890
IndyStarCraft 168
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
RotterdaM 890
Lowko458
mouzHeroMarine 319
IndyStarCraft 168
TKL 93
Rex 59
MindelVK 17
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 50625
Free 3833
Jaedong 1500
BeSt 626
Soulkey 405
Horang2 383
Soma 279
Hyun 219
Zeus 207
Last 142
[ Show more ]
sorry 121
Mind 95
firebathero 91
Pusan 90
Shinee 52
Yoon 32
soO 31
Aegong 23
ToSsGirL 21
yabsab 19
scan(afreeca) 17
Sacsri 11
zelot 9
Dota 2
Gorgc6059
Dendi699
XaKoH 357
canceldota56
Other Games
gofns29794
singsing2200
Coldzera 700
B2W.Neo477
byalli473
Pyrionflax271
ToD169
QueenE21
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV238
StarCraft: Brood War
lovetv 9
[ Show 15 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• CranKy Ducklings SOOP18
• StrangeGG 14
• Gemini_19 11
• Adnapsc2 8
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• C_a_k_e 986
• WagamamaTV436
League of Legends
• Jankos3391
Upcoming Events
AI Arena Tournament
4h 42m
BSL: Ladder Tournament
6h 42m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
21h 42m
Patches Events
1d 2h
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 6h
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 6h
OSC
1d 23h
WardiTV Weekly
2 days
PiGosaur Cup
3 days
The PondCast
4 days
[ Show More ]
Online Event
5 days
Korean StarCraft League
6 days
Afreeca Starleague
6 days
Rush vs Soulkey
CranKy Ducklings
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
HCC Season 3
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.