• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 21:43
CEST 03:43
KST 10:43
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach0[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon101Weekly Cups (Aug 30-Sep 7): herO thrives amid growing schism10
StarCraft 2
General
Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple How do you feel about the StarCraft shooter announcement at BlizzCon 2026? Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16) Blizzard Classic Cup @ BlizzCon 2026 - $100k prize pool The Death of Cheese: From a Professional Cheeser
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Master Swan Open (Global Bronze-Master 2) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ an AI researcher's take on the ladder bot [ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach StarCraft Human 'N' AI League
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 1
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread All you football fans (soccer)!
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 12790 users

General nutrition recommendations - Page 92

Forum Index > Sports
Post a Reply
Prev 1 90 91 92
Critter
Profile Joined January 2011
United States196 Posts
September 16 2017 20:44 GMT
#1821
Hadn't really considered that but it seems within my limited cooking capabilities and is certainly better than what I've been eating. When I was trying to eat better before I was going for a lower carb diet (I want to say it was ~20% carbs, ~40% fats, ~40% proteins most days and between 1800 and 2000 calories) on the recommendation of a classmate who is a personal trainer, so I was avoiding rice for the most part. It worked for a while along with walking for losing weight (dropped about 35 lbs in 4 months) but I got stuck at 250lbs for a couple months, got less motivated, and started eating like crap again. With that background, is the composition of what I eat all that important for weight loss? If so, do the above numbers seem reasonable? Any and all advice is welcome, I haven't been in shape since high school, so clearly what I'm doing isn't working.
IgnE
Profile Joined November 2010
United States7681 Posts
Last Edited: 2017-09-16 21:26:56
September 16 2017 21:25 GMT
#1822
i don't really think it's possible to eat a healthy low-carb diet on $25 a week. you need to be eating good proteins and fats and those tend to be expensive. you can't live on peanut butter. and you are in the united states right, at united states prices? it's not like you are in bangladesh or something.

you could try intermittent fasting with the rice and beans. you have to really over-eat on rice to gain weight as long you are avoiding sugar and processed foods. it's just unpleasant to stuff so much rice and beans into yourself at the end of a fast unless you have something else hijacking your sense of fullness. like sugar.
The unrealistic sound of these propositions is indicative, not of their utopian character, but of the strength of the forces which prevent their realization.
Critter
Profile Joined January 2011
United States196 Posts
September 17 2017 06:12 GMT
#1823
Yes, I'm in the US and do appreciate all the advice. Would you consider eggs and canned tuna to be good proteins and fats? It was most of what I was eating before (along with the broccoli) and the eggs at least are dirt cheap when bought in bulk.

I've looked a little into intermittent fasting but I'm not sure I have the willpower for it. However, if you have any preferred resources (or advice) on the subject I would love to read them. I quickly glanced over the sticky but many of the links there seem to be broken.
VHbb
Profile Joined October 2014
692 Posts
September 17 2017 08:21 GMT
#1824
On September 15 2017 04:52 decafchicken wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 09 2017 19:57 VHbb wrote:
Hi guys! Eating - diet is going very well recently, thanks again for your help

Question: is there a better time of the day (like at dinner or at lunch) when to eat carbohydrates?
I usually eat
- breakfast: yogurt + plain cereals, coffee - or in alternative 2 eggs + coffee
- lunch: 100gr rice + tuna + vegetables
- mid-day: some fruits (usually a single banana)
- dinner: meat (usually chicken) + vegetables and some cheese

I am wondering if I should shuffle things around between lunch and dinner, and have more carbs (rice) in the evening, and more meaty stuff at lunch.. is there any reason to do so? any differences?

Thanks and cheers


Eggs >>>> yogurt + cereal for breakfast

Assuming you workout in the evening, have some carbs pre/during workout to give you fuel, then eat most of your carbs with dinner to replenish your muscles.


Thanks decafchicken
I usually workout in the morning, so perhaps carbs at lunch may not be that bad to "replenish my muscles"?

p.s. how's rugby training going? season started already?
My life for Aiur !
IgnE
Profile Joined November 2010
United States7681 Posts
September 17 2017 15:24 GMT
#1825
On September 17 2017 15:12 Critter wrote:
Yes, I'm in the US and do appreciate all the advice. Would you consider eggs and canned tuna to be good proteins and fats? It was most of what I was eating before (along with the broccoli) and the eggs at least are dirt cheap when bought in bulk.

I've looked a little into intermittent fasting but I'm not sure I have the willpower for it. However, if you have any preferred resources (or advice) on the subject I would love to read them. I quickly glanced over the sticky but many of the links there seem to be broken.


No, I don't think eating eggs and canned tuna every single day is a good idea. How many eggs and cans of tuna were you eating? Doesn't a can of tuna have like 100 calories, max? Were you eating like 6 cans a day?

Just google around for intermittent fasting. The willpower needed is much less than other diets imo because it's much easier to say "I'm just not eating right now" than it is to say "I'm just going to have this much food and no more."
The unrealistic sound of these propositions is indicative, not of their utopian character, but of the strength of the forces which prevent their realization.
Critter
Profile Joined January 2011
United States196 Posts
September 17 2017 16:47 GMT
#1826
What I was eating before was 3 eggs and some chorizo and cheese for breakfast, homemade tuna patties (roughly 1 can of tuna with egg, panko, parm, and spices) and broccoli with butter for lunch, and homemade black bean quesadillas with low carb whole wheat tortillas for dinner. That came out to ~1520 calories, 85g of carbs (22%), 88g of fat (52%), and 100g of protein (26%). Then depending on the week I'd add on some nuts or yogurt or applesauce to get the calories up a bit. Looking at it I guess saying it was 'most' of what I was eating was unintentionally misleading as they were only accounting for ~450 calories a day. This would occasionally come out to more than the $25 a week but not often as the roommates and I would alternate buying some of the staples like cheese and eggs.

But anyway, I plan on trying intermittent fasting and adding red beans and rice to my repertoire.
decafchicken
Profile Blog Joined January 2005
United States20168 Posts
Last Edited: 2017-09-19 20:59:19
September 19 2017 20:58 GMT
#1827
@ Critter. Fuck me, some days I spent 25$ on food alone, I'd probably die on that in a week lol. But yeah as mentioned, I'd probably just eat as much eggs, rice, beans, frozen veggies, potatoes (or sweet potatoes) as possible and then buy whatever meat is on sale. You can find pork shoulder, loin, or chops, ground beef, or different cuts of chicken pretty cheap depending on the day at the grocery store. You can get chicken a LOT cheaper if you learn how to debone and de-skin a chicken (or even just the thighs/breast).
On September 17 2017 17:21 VHbb wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 15 2017 04:52 decafchicken wrote:
On September 09 2017 19:57 VHbb wrote:
Hi guys! Eating - diet is going very well recently, thanks again for your help

Question: is there a better time of the day (like at dinner or at lunch) when to eat carbohydrates?
I usually eat
- breakfast: yogurt + plain cereals, coffee - or in alternative 2 eggs + coffee
- lunch: 100gr rice + tuna + vegetables
- mid-day: some fruits (usually a single banana)
- dinner: meat (usually chicken) + vegetables and some cheese

I am wondering if I should shuffle things around between lunch and dinner, and have more carbs (rice) in the evening, and more meaty stuff at lunch.. is there any reason to do so? any differences?

Thanks and cheers


Eggs >>>> yogurt + cereal for breakfast

Assuming you workout in the evening, have some carbs pre/during workout to give you fuel, then eat most of your carbs with dinner to replenish your muscles.


Thanks decafchicken
I usually workout in the morning, so perhaps carbs at lunch may not be that bad to "replenish my muscles"?

p.s. how's rugby training going? season started already?


Ah alright. I'd probably try to have some light carbs and a protein shake in water when waking up and then add a bunch of carbs for lunch then make your dinner/pre-bed more fat heavy and lower on carbs.

Season started about a month ago, it's going terrible. Team is on a bit of a rebuilding year and we're missing players. Oh well.
how reasonable is it to eat off wood instead of your tummy?
beynice
Profile Joined September 2017
United States3 Posts
September 20 2017 01:12 GMT
#1828
--- Nuked ---
VHbb
Profile Joined October 2014
692 Posts
September 20 2017 12:36 GMT
#1829
On September 20 2017 05:58 decafchicken wrote:
@ Critter. Fuck me, some days I spent 25$ on food alone, I'd probably die on that in a week lol. But yeah as mentioned, I'd probably just eat as much eggs, rice, beans, frozen veggies, potatoes (or sweet potatoes) as possible and then buy whatever meat is on sale. You can find pork shoulder, loin, or chops, ground beef, or different cuts of chicken pretty cheap depending on the day at the grocery store. You can get chicken a LOT cheaper if you learn how to debone and de-skin a chicken (or even just the thighs/breast).
Show nested quote +
On September 17 2017 17:21 VHbb wrote:
On September 15 2017 04:52 decafchicken wrote:
On September 09 2017 19:57 VHbb wrote:
Hi guys! Eating - diet is going very well recently, thanks again for your help

Question: is there a better time of the day (like at dinner or at lunch) when to eat carbohydrates?
I usually eat
- breakfast: yogurt + plain cereals, coffee - or in alternative 2 eggs + coffee
- lunch: 100gr rice + tuna + vegetables
- mid-day: some fruits (usually a single banana)
- dinner: meat (usually chicken) + vegetables and some cheese

I am wondering if I should shuffle things around between lunch and dinner, and have more carbs (rice) in the evening, and more meaty stuff at lunch.. is there any reason to do so? any differences?

Thanks and cheers


Eggs >>>> yogurt + cereal for breakfast

Assuming you workout in the evening, have some carbs pre/during workout to give you fuel, then eat most of your carbs with dinner to replenish your muscles.


Thanks decafchicken
I usually workout in the morning, so perhaps carbs at lunch may not be that bad to "replenish my muscles"?

p.s. how's rugby training going? season started already?


Ah alright. I'd probably try to have some light carbs and a protein shake in water when waking up and then add a bunch of carbs for lunch then make your dinner/pre-bed more fat heavy and lower on carbs.

Season started about a month ago, it's going terrible. Team is on a bit of a rebuilding year and we're missing players. Oh well.



Thanks - I'll follow the advice
And wow you start early, here the season usually doesn't start until October. Good luck !
My life for Aiur !
VHbb
Profile Joined October 2014
692 Posts
September 21 2018 23:47 GMT
#1830
Getting back to this thread
I'm trying to get back in shape after my holidays (nothing major, but I do want to lose a few kg) so I'm re-starting to train and do sports (to be honest I don't do sport to lose weight, but because it's fun but... two in one I guess).

The "problem" is that many evenings I come home late and I'm not sure what would be best to eat after, say, 10pm.
I know eating late is not the best, but often it's the only solution so... any advice on what's best?

I usually eat some white meat (chicken or such) with raw vegetables (salad, tomatoes, etc.), some bread and maybe a little cheese.
I'm not looking to optimize this to the single kJ, and I don't care if "bread is evil" or I should "avoid cheese at all cost": I'm Italian and I like food
But at the same time, I'd like to avoid stupid mistakes (e.g. I've heard eating raw vegetables at night is not good for your digestion?)

Perhaps a solution would be to eat more frequently in the afternoon, to contain the dinner to a light snack: what could I incorporate as small afternoon snack that can power me through the day and trainings in the evening?
(it's usually either rugby or climbing or gym, occasionally running)

Thanks all!! and cheers
My life for Aiur !
traver66
Profile Joined February 2019
4 Posts
February 21 2019 06:52 GMT
#1831
--- Nuked ---
Amphimachus
Profile Joined February 2019
4 Posts
February 23 2019 13:22 GMT
#1832
On September 22 2018 08:47 VHbb wrote:
Getting back to this thread
I'm trying to get back in shape after my holidays (nothing major, but I do want to lose a few kg) so I'm re-starting to train and do sports (to be honest I don't do sport to lose weight, but because it's fun but... two in one I guess).

The "problem" is that many evenings I come home late and I'm not sure what would be best to eat after, say, 10pm.
I know eating late is not the best, but often it's the only solution so... any advice on what's best?

I usually eat some white meat (chicken or such) with raw vegetables (salad, tomatoes, etc.), some bread and maybe a little cheese.
I'm not looking to optimize this to the single kJ, and I don't care if "bread is evil" or I should "avoid cheese at all cost": I'm Italian and I like food
But at the same time, I'd like to avoid stupid mistakes (e.g. I've heard eating raw vegetables at night is not good for your digestion?)

Perhaps a solution would be to eat more frequently in the afternoon, to contain the dinner to a light snack: what could I incorporate as small afternoon snack that can power me through the day and trainings in the evening?
(it's usually either rugby or climbing or gym, occasionally running)

Thanks all!! and cheers


Nothing you describes about your eating habit explains why you are overweight. And you are worried about eating vegetables at night? You 'have heard' something?

Nutrition isn't rocket science (well, rocket science barely has had any innovations since the 70's). You just need to cut through the fad diets. Dense caloric foods is what gives you calories. And high fibre high water foods are what you need to ear more of. Come on. "bread is evil"? Maybe if you have a serious gluten allergy.

If you want to lose weight, just cut all of you food you eat for enjoyment out of your diet for a couple of months while you have a serious exercise programme.
VHbb
Profile Joined October 2014
692 Posts
February 27 2019 12:28 GMT
#1833
Thanks for the advice, it's very useful considering you're replying to a 6 months old post where the question was:
what's a healthy option to eat late at night when I come back from training and I haven't had dinner yet
My life for Aiur !
phyre112
Profile Joined August 2009
United States3090 Posts
March 23 2019 10:23 GMT
#1834
On February 27 2019 21:28 VHbb wrote:
Thanks for the advice, it's very useful considering you're replying to a 6 months old post where the question was:
what's a healthy option to eat late at night when I come back from training and I haven't had dinner yet

And now i'm going to reply to a one month old post so here goes.

The reason "eating at night is bad" is because in the traditional american lifestyle, people come home at five or six o'clock and then just don't do anything. They have their dinner early, and then they sit around all night, and if they're eating any more later its compounded by something else:

1) sitting in front of the TV mindlessly eating snacks like chips or cookies or whatever
2) second full dinner just because you're bored
3) it's not food its just alcohol
4) eating garbage food and takeout after having already consumed alcohol

Eating late is no worse than eating early so long as it's planned. If you're skipping a normal dinner time, there's absolutely no reason you can't have a full regular meal at 10 pm.

TL;DR count your calories and don't eat mindlessly this is literally the single most important thing when it comes to nutrition. What you eat and when you eat it are a fraction of a percent of the importance of that single point.
VHbb
Profile Joined October 2014
692 Posts
March 25 2019 07:48 GMT
#1835
Thanks! That's actually useful and answering to the original question...
I still didn't manage to get a proper food schedule, but I think I have parallel issues in how my life is organized which compound on the eating around.. I definitely have a problem with food (as soon as I'm tired or stressed I use food to get an instant gratification which I regret later) but It's good to know that I can organize my day eating after workouts / sports in the late evening without major effects compared to eating early in the evening
My life for Aiur !
Kenneth12312
Profile Joined August 2020
1 Post
September 08 2020 12:03 GMT
#1836
--- Nuked ---
Locutos
Profile Joined January 2017
Brazil273 Posts
March 10 2026 11:28 GMT
#1837
On February 27 2019 21:28 VHbb wrote:
Thanks for the advice, it's very useful considering you're replying to a 6 months old post where the question was:
what's a healthy option to eat late at night when I come back from training and I haven't had dinner yet


1 banana + yogurt
Prev 1 90 91 92
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Replay Cast
00:00
2026 GSTL: Grand Finals
CranKy Ducklings116
LiquipediaDiscussion
OSC
23:00
OSC Masters Cup #151 Qualifier
davetesta30
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
RuFF_SC2 190
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 11354
White-Ra 264
Dota 2
monkeys_forever872
NeuroSwarm170
febbydoto19
League of Legends
Doublelift6203
JimRising 667
Counter-Strike
minikerr30
Super Smash Bros
hungrybox671
Other Games
summit1g9537
Maynarde208
ArmadaUGS59
Mew2King31
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick369
BasetradeTV191
StarCraft: Brood War
Kim Chul Min (afreeca) 7
[ Show 10 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 89
• Letter143
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Upcoming Events
Afreeca Starleague
8h 17m
Soma vs Jaedong
WardiTV Weekly
9h 17m
Monday Night Weeklies
14h 17m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
1d 8h
Afreeca Starleague
1d 8h
Leta vs Soulkey
PiGosaur Cup
1d 22h
Kung Fu Cup
2 days
The PondCast
3 days
Replay Cast
3 days
CranKy Ducklings
5 days
[ Show More ]
Online Event
5 days
FEL
5 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
5 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.