• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 14:22
CEST 20:22
KST 03:22
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup4StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)66Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2315
StarCraft 2
General
October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Awesome/Confusing SC2 BM
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
RepMastered™: replay sharing and analyzer site BSL Season 23 Klaucher discontinued / in-game color settings BW General Discussion Bot on ladder
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8530 users

TL Health and Fitness Initiative 2011 - Page 65

Forum Index > Sports
Post a Reply
Prev 1 63 64 65 66 67 730 Next
eshlow
Profile Joined June 2008
United States5210 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-02-06 01:09:51
February 06 2011 01:09 GMT
#1281
On February 06 2011 08:36 metzGRR wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 06 2011 08:15 eshlow wrote:
Soreness is not indicative of progress. If you are progressing then you are doing fine.......

although why are you doing biceps curls?


I know this. I am making progress, what I want to know is if I would be making more progress if I was sore/tired in my muscles after my workouts. I am looking for optimization.

I suspect you ask why im doing bicep curls because theres better exercises which also trains shoulders/chest at the same time. Just trust me, Im doing it for a good reason.


Most of the time, no.

Why do you think a lot of people stagnate in their training after they're in the gym?

Don't you see guys there who are doing crazy workouts but not getting much bigger/stronger?

There's such a thing as too much.

Chasing soreness = no good

Chase progress = good
Overcoming Gravity: A Systematic Approach to Gymnastics and Bodyweight Strength
phyre112
Profile Joined August 2009
United States3090 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-02-06 01:28:00
February 06 2011 01:23 GMT
#1282
Funkie, I personally eat lots of almonds. Atleast 5 ounces per day, usually more. Unsalted, they're my absolute favorite snack food. I'm no diet expert, but they appear healthy enough. High fat decent protein, limited carbs, none of the lectin issues you run into with peanuts... if someone was looking for a replacement to potato chips or whatever snack, I would DEFINITELY recommend them as my top choice.

As for the magnesium supplement... i've been taking a 500mg per day andits wonderful. Most noticeable increase in energy and clarity of mind, as well as much improved sleep quality of any single change i have ever made. I would definitely put it up there with d3 and fish oil as top supplements.

Advocado
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
Denmark994 Posts
February 06 2011 01:34 GMT
#1283
I just realised that I've been doing Starting Strength complete wrong for a long time. Basically been doing deadlift every week, press on wednesdays and not alternating between Workout A & B cause I didn't wanna do Power Cleans. Gotta remedy myself next week :/
http://www.twitch.tv/advocadosc2
metzGRR
Profile Joined December 2010
Sweden86 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-02-06 01:43:18
February 06 2011 01:41 GMT
#1284
On February 06 2011 10:09 eshlow wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 06 2011 08:36 metzGRR wrote:
On February 06 2011 08:15 eshlow wrote:
Soreness is not indicative of progress. If you are progressing then you are doing fine.......

although why are you doing biceps curls?


I know this. I am making progress, what I want to know is if I would be making more progress if I was sore/tired in my muscles after my workouts. I am looking for optimization.

I suspect you ask why im doing bicep curls because theres better exercises which also trains shoulders/chest at the same time. Just trust me, Im doing it for a good reason.


Most of the time, no.

Why do you think a lot of people stagnate in their training after they're in the gym?

Don't you see guys there who are doing crazy workouts but not getting much bigger/stronger?

There's such a thing as too much.

Chasing soreness = no good

Chase progress = good


You dont understand. I feel nothing after my workouts. Its as if I never worked out. Despite the absolutely amazing awnsers you get on the internet I decided to do my own reaserch. It appears that the extensive ammounts of sugar I consume makes my workouts mostly about burning calories instead of breaking down musclemass. Not sure how accurate this is but for now I will stop consuming so much sugar and eat more protein and see what happens.
FyRe_DragOn
Profile Blog Joined November 2006
Canada2057 Posts
February 06 2011 01:53 GMT
#1285
almonds also have a high omega-6 fat ratio though, so i personally would avoid binging on them :/

i bought literally 8 kgs of them before realizing this; now i eat about a handful a day. If you want to eat lots of nuts, I think a proportionately large amount of fish oil should also be consumed.
aka DragOn[NaS]
decafchicken
Profile Blog Joined January 2005
United States20168 Posts
February 06 2011 02:04 GMT
#1286
On February 06 2011 10:34 Advocado wrote:
I just realised that I've been doing Starting Strength complete wrong for a long time. Basically been doing deadlift every week, press on wednesdays and not alternating between Workout A & B cause I didn't wanna do Power Cleans. Gotta remedy myself next week :/

Power cleans are AWESOME.

Funk ie, walnuts are where its at!
how reasonable is it to eat off wood instead of your tummy?
eshlow
Profile Joined June 2008
United States5210 Posts
February 06 2011 02:23 GMT
#1287
On February 06 2011 10:41 metzGRR wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 06 2011 10:09 eshlow wrote:
On February 06 2011 08:36 metzGRR wrote:
On February 06 2011 08:15 eshlow wrote:
Soreness is not indicative of progress. If you are progressing then you are doing fine.......

although why are you doing biceps curls?


I know this. I am making progress, what I want to know is if I would be making more progress if I was sore/tired in my muscles after my workouts. I am looking for optimization.

I suspect you ask why im doing bicep curls because theres better exercises which also trains shoulders/chest at the same time. Just trust me, Im doing it for a good reason.


Most of the time, no.

Why do you think a lot of people stagnate in their training after they're in the gym?

Don't you see guys there who are doing crazy workouts but not getting much bigger/stronger?

There's such a thing as too much.

Chasing soreness = no good

Chase progress = good


You dont understand. I feel nothing after my workouts. Its as if I never worked out. Despite the absolutely amazing awnsers you get on the internet I decided to do my own reaserch. It appears that the extensive ammounts of sugar I consume makes my workouts mostly about burning calories instead of breaking down musclemass. Not sure how accurate this is but for now I will stop consuming so much sugar and eat more protein and see what happens.


What are your workouts? What weights are you using?

Sugar obviously does not block breaking down muscle mass. That's not how it works.

Again, as long as you are improving it DOESN'T matter if youre sore or how you feel.
Overcoming Gravity: A Systematic Approach to Gymnastics and Bodyweight Strength
FyRe_DragOn
Profile Blog Joined November 2006
Canada2057 Posts
February 06 2011 02:26 GMT
#1288
whats the diff between power cleans and cleans? power snatch and snatch? power C&J and regular?
aka DragOn[NaS]
phyre112
Profile Joined August 2009
United States3090 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-02-06 02:44:28
February 06 2011 02:43 GMT
#1289
The way I understand it... the regular motion gets you into a full squat before you stand up with a bigass weight on your shoulders/above your head/whatever. The power version has you doing a minor dip in order to get under the bar, but only as much as is necessary in order for you to complete the motion.

I don't do full cleans or snatches or etc. though, so if I'm wrong then please someone with experience on the matter (decaf, dimsum etc) please correct me.
RosaParksStoleMySeat
Profile Joined December 2009
Japan926 Posts
February 06 2011 02:45 GMT
#1290
On February 06 2011 11:43 phyre112 wrote:
The way I understand it... the regular motion gets you into a full squat before you stand up with a bigass weight on your shoulders/above your head/whatever. The power version has you doing a minor dip in order to get under the bar, but only as much as is necessary in order for you to complete the motion.

I don't do full cleans or snatches or etc. though, so if I'm wrong then please someone with experience on the matter (decaf, dimsum etc) please correct me.


I think the technical line is either below parallel or above parallel on the dip. Above = power clean/power snatch, below = clean/snatch.
AoN.DimSum
Profile Blog Joined September 2008
United States2983 Posts
February 06 2011 02:45 GMT
#1291
power is just catching the weight above parallel. Same for all movements. Power c&j just means power clean with a jerk. Regular is a clean with a jerk.


by my idol krokkis : "U better hope Finland wont have WCG next year and that I wont gain shitloads of skill, cause then I will wash ur mouth with soap, little man."
Alventenie
Profile Joined July 2007
United States2147 Posts
February 06 2011 03:28 GMT
#1292
On February 06 2011 06:36 vicariouscheese wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 06 2011 04:16 Alventenie wrote:
Ok, so im going to the gym tomorrow since im almost done the book. Would you guys recommend a starting workout? Should i do all the lifts? Or should i sequence them out through the week (i think im gonna do sun/tues/thurs workouts)? If i shouldn't do them all, what should i focus on the most, im thinking squats (for leg muscles + stretching my body out), the press, dead lifts, power cleans. Not that i don't like the bench press, but i think the regular press will give me more overall for what im looking for.


The recommended workout is in the programming section, although the wiki page lays it out more clearly:

Workout A
Squat (3x5), Bench (3x5), Deadlift (1x5)

Workout B
Squat (3x5), Press (3x5), Powercleans (5x3)

and you alternate for 3 days a week, ABA week 1, BAB week 2 etc. Usually mon/wed/fri, although the snow caused me to move to tues/thurs/saturday

You don't want to go more than 3days/week if you are following starting strength, until you've hit your max with the novice program and the advanced novice program. Also the wiki page lays out the program and how to increase your weight more clearly than the book imo (the book is better for in depth form analysis and such) so check out http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/Starting_Strength_Wiki

Do you know what to do in terms of warmup sets? Also in the wiki, but make sure you know how that works before you get to the heavy weights



Im finishing up the last few pages of the power clean chapter, so im not 100% done the book, but ive read 180 pages in like 1.5 days. Unless they specified elsewhere, the warm ups they said are just in each chapter. I know the next chapter is the assistance exercises, but i haven't gotten there yet. I should be done the book before i go tomorrow, so it should be good! ty for responses though.
Ilikestarcraft
Profile Blog Joined November 2004
Korea (South)17743 Posts
February 06 2011 03:40 GMT
#1293
On February 06 2011 11:45 AoN.DimSum wrote:
power is just catching the weight above parallel. Same for all movements. Power c&j just means power clean with a jerk. Regular is a clean with a jerk.

+ Show Spoiler +
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZVpsiAtVx7s


Man I just love to hear the stomp sound after someone cleans
ils
"Nana is a goddess. Or at very least, Nana is my goddess." - KazeHydra
FyRe_DragOn
Profile Blog Joined November 2006
Canada2057 Posts
February 06 2011 03:52 GMT
#1294
ahh ic so what are the advantages and disadvantages of doing the regular movements vs their power varieties?

it seems like the regular cleans/snatch/C&J would give you a more complete workout since ur doing pretty much a full squat during the movement. and the power varieties are more for assistance exercises for a program that already does some kind of squatting?
aka DragOn[NaS]
decafchicken
Profile Blog Joined January 2005
United States20168 Posts
February 06 2011 03:59 GMT
#1295
The power movements works on explosiveness
how reasonable is it to eat off wood instead of your tummy?
Warrior Madness
Profile Blog Joined April 2008
Canada3791 Posts
February 06 2011 04:11 GMT
#1296
On February 06 2011 12:59 decafchicken wrote:
The power movements works on explosiveness


Hey decaf I don't know if someone's asked already but do you work out your abs? If so, what kind of exercises do you do?
The Past: Yellow, Julyzerg, Chojja, Savior, GGplay -- The Present: Luxury, Jae- The Future: -Dong, maGma, Zero, Effort, Hoejja, hyvaa, by.hero, calm, Action ---> SC2 (Ret?? Kolll Idra!! SEN, Cool, ZergBong, Leenock)
JeeJee
Profile Blog Joined July 2003
Canada5652 Posts
February 06 2011 04:25 GMT
#1297
On February 06 2011 12:28 Alventenie wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 06 2011 06:36 vicariouscheese wrote:
On February 06 2011 04:16 Alventenie wrote:
Ok, so im going to the gym tomorrow since im almost done the book. Would you guys recommend a starting workout? Should i do all the lifts? Or should i sequence them out through the week (i think im gonna do sun/tues/thurs workouts)? If i shouldn't do them all, what should i focus on the most, im thinking squats (for leg muscles + stretching my body out), the press, dead lifts, power cleans. Not that i don't like the bench press, but i think the regular press will give me more overall for what im looking for.


The recommended workout is in the programming section, although the wiki page lays it out more clearly:

Workout A
Squat (3x5), Bench (3x5), Deadlift (1x5)

Workout B
Squat (3x5), Press (3x5), Powercleans (5x3)

and you alternate for 3 days a week, ABA week 1, BAB week 2 etc. Usually mon/wed/fri, although the snow caused me to move to tues/thurs/saturday

You don't want to go more than 3days/week if you are following starting strength, until you've hit your max with the novice program and the advanced novice program. Also the wiki page lays out the program and how to increase your weight more clearly than the book imo (the book is better for in depth form analysis and such) so check out http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/Starting_Strength_Wiki

Do you know what to do in terms of warmup sets? Also in the wiki, but make sure you know how that works before you get to the heavy weights



Im finishing up the last few pages of the power clean chapter, so im not 100% done the book, but ive read 180 pages in like 1.5 days. Unless they specified elsewhere, the warm ups they said are just in each chapter. I know the next chapter is the assistance exercises, but i haven't gotten there yet. I should be done the book before i go tomorrow, so it should be good! ty for responses though.


tbh while the book is great for figuring out lifts, i think you'll get the most bang for your time-spent about your first workout in these few paragraphs (and take particular note of the word of caution as well)
http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/FAQ:The_Program#The_First_Workout
(\o/)  If you want it, you find a way. Otherwise you find excuses. No exceptions.
 /_\   aka Shinbi (requesting a name change since 27/05/09 ☺)
eshlow
Profile Joined June 2008
United States5210 Posts
February 06 2011 05:42 GMT
#1298
On February 06 2011 12:52 FyRe_DragOn wrote:
ahh ic so what are the advantages and disadvantages of doing the regular movements vs their power varieties?

it seems like the regular cleans/snatch/C&J would give you a more complete workout since ur doing pretty much a full squat during the movement. and the power varieties are more for assistance exercises for a program that already does some kind of squatting?


Power cleans is basically the low skilled version of the clean where you can get explosive training without the flexibility/mobility, time commitment, and likely thousands of hours of coaching you would need to get anywhere close to a good clean movement. Same with the snatch.

That's why you have most of hte power sports like football having their players do power cleans.... because their focus is not to lift heavy weights over their heads which you can lift more with a clean. Their focus is to get strong/explosive for football. So the lower skill version works fine for these types of purposes.

If you're interested in learning clean/snatch/etc the best analogy is basically that it's gymnastics with a barbell. It's like learning how to do handstands, flipping, tumbling, etc but with heavy weights.

You get strong and explosive.. and it requires good mobility and skill to do.

On February 06 2011 12:59 decafchicken wrote:
The power movements works on explosiveness


lol, that wasnt a good answer... they both work explosiveness.

In fact, I'd say clean/snatch actually work more power than the power versions because you can lift heavier weights with each (therefore at set amount of reps you'll be more powerful/explosive with a heavier weight)
Overcoming Gravity: A Systematic Approach to Gymnastics and Bodyweight Strength
Slithe
Profile Blog Joined February 2007
United States985 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-02-06 05:55:03
February 06 2011 05:54 GMT
#1299
+ Show Spoiler [UFC spoiler] +
Hey Eshlow, I wanna be able to kick like Anderson Silva. How can I possibly achieve such a thing?
Alexson
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
Belarus293 Posts
February 06 2011 05:54 GMT
#1300
Eating junk food and lots of protein while bulking is good right..? cause it shouldn't matter where your calories come from..
Liberal who supports gun use and supports an eye for an eye
Prev 1 63 64 65 66 67 730 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
AI Arena Tournament
02:00
Swiss - Round 4
Laughngamez YouTube
FEL
01:00
ScienceCraft Qualifier
IndyStarCraft 257
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
IndyStarCraft 257
BRAT_OK 67
JuggernautJason19
MindelVK 17
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 25423
Mini 428
Hyuk 192
firebathero 175
ggaemo 131
Dewaltoss 68
Mong 47
Hyun 36
ToSsGirL 22
Dota 2
Gorgc10023
febbydoto2
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor1380
crisheroes1076
Liquid`Hasu766
Other Games
Grubby3125
FrodaN2486
fl0m1079
Beastyqt743
mouzStarbuck189
KnowMe186
Livibee161
ArmadaUGS120
Mew2King52
Trikslyr43
ToD33
Chillindude28
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick1008
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream36
[ Show 19 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• printf 78
• StrangeGG 51
• Adnapsc2 24
• LUISG 12
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• 80smullet 12
• blackmanpl 9
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• C_a_k_e 8605
• WagamamaTV299
Other Games
• imaqtpie602
• Shiphtur307
• tFFMrPink 8
Upcoming Events
BSL: Ladder Tournament
38m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
15h 38m
INu's Battles
17h 38m
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
Shopify Rebellion Sundays
20h 38m
MilkiCow vs TBD
Clem vs TBD
BSL Open Qualifier
1d
BSL Open Qualifier
1d
Replay Cast
1d 5h
Afreeca Starleague
1d 15h
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
1d 16h
Monday Night Weeklies
1d 21h
[ Show More ]
Afreeca Starleague
2 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
2 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
3 days
The PondCast
4 days
INu's Battles
4 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-10-02
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
Copium Cup
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.