• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 16:10
CEST 22:10
KST 05:10
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon110
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16)
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing Where can I find Flash replays that work? BW General Discussion [ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine All you football fans (soccer)! Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8090 users

TL Health and Fitness Initiative 2011 - Page 635

Forum Index > Sports
Post a Reply
Prev 1 633 634 635 636 637 730 Next
Advocado
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
Denmark994 Posts
October 10 2011 20:23 GMT
#12681
Goddamnit sJarl. Swap bodies with me lol. You look fucking amazing at 97 kg.

Todays workout:

5x5 85 kg squat: YEAH, since last lift was so hard, I'm fucking happy with crushing 85kg squat this time.

Bench: 5x5 40kg bench, meh i fucking hate this lift.

Barbell rows 5x5: 45kg felt pretty hard at the end, but that's good.

Sick numbers everyone.
http://www.twitch.tv/advocadosc2
MeShiet
Profile Joined June 2010
Canada290 Posts
October 10 2011 20:33 GMT
#12682
Happy Thanksgiving to my fellow Canadians. I would like to give thanks for the empty gym today allowing me to hog a platform and then a squat rack for as long as i wanted to. Wish it was always that nice in there =/
If you die this way, you won't live to tell anyone how you died
infinity21 *
Profile Blog Joined October 2006
Canada6683 Posts
October 10 2011 20:49 GMT
#12683
On October 11 2011 05:33 MeShiet wrote:
Happy Thanksgiving to my fellow Canadians. I would like to give thanks for the empty gym today allowing me to hog a platform and then a squat rack for as long as i wanted to. Wish it was always that nice in there =/

My uni gym is closed
Official Entusman #21
sJarl
Profile Joined September 2010
Iceland1699 Posts
October 10 2011 20:52 GMT
#12684
Thanks everyone! :D I really appreciate it.

@Nazarene: Great job on getting both reps in and keeping the accessory volume up. GL in the contest!

@Malinor: Dunno about goal weight. Perhaps 95kg but a whole lot leaner than I'm right now. Feeling so bloated right now. But since gains are coming nicely I'll maintain this see-food diet for a little bit longer
"Witness!" - Karsa Orlong
Advocado
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
Denmark994 Posts
October 10 2011 21:00 GMT
#12685
On October 11 2011 04:10 Malinor wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 11 2011 01:26 sJarl wrote:
On October 09 2011 04:42 sJarl wrote:
So, post number 1k, time for some blast from the past and see some progression.

Summer 2009, me at the most muscular phase of my life as of then:
+ Show Spoiler +
[image loading]

Strength was well not good, could squat about 130kg for a max (managed a 100kg x 20 widowmaker though), bench about 75kg and deadlift 185kg. Knees were a wreck so I didn't really squat and deadlift much that summer though. Spent it to bring up my severely lacking upper body.

May 6th, 2011:
+ Show Spoiler +
[image loading]


Some improvement, gained around 10kg.

Will update tomorrow with a new pic and current stats.

Just remember: results come in the long run not overnight.


As promised update pic:

09/10/11
BW: 80kg -> 97kg
Squat: 130kg -> 185kg
Deadlift: 185kg -> 225kg x 2
Bench: 75k -> 105kg
pretty much everything has increased.

+ Show Spoiler +
[image loading]


Please forgive my silly expression
also, beard as requested by Nemy.


How a real man should look like. What is your goal weight?


Goddamnit sJarl. Swap bodies with me lol. You look fucking amazing at 97 kg.

Todays workout:

5x5 85 kg squat: YEAH, since last lift was so hard, I'm fucking happy with crushing 85kg squat this time.

Bench: 5x5 40kg bench, meh i fucking hate this lift.

Barbell rows 5x5: 45kg felt pretty hard at the end, but that's good.

Sick numbers everyone.
http://www.twitch.tv/advocadosc2
[GiTM]-Ace
Profile Joined September 2002
United States4935 Posts
October 10 2011 21:29 GMT
#12686
Today was so fail. i dropped the bar during benchpress while trying to rack it. I obv went for the hooks instead of the rails and somehow my right arm got all the way back there and left didn't. This same exact thing happened like 2 weeks ago while doing OHP.(left half didnt make it to the hooks while right did so i thought all was good) Difference though was bar was over my face...

I dunno how i didn't get hit by the bar my head got grazed a little.I think it was because it didn't come straight down but went sorta sideways since 1 side was racked. But yea I didn't realize to like a minute after that that could have all came down on my face.
I may not be the best player right now but I think I can beat any 'best' players. I'll beat all the best players and become the best player. Watch me. - Jju
sJarl
Profile Joined September 2010
Iceland1699 Posts
October 10 2011 21:36 GMT
#12687
Hopefully you weren't as unlucky as this guy:



Always have safety catches on your bench

@Advocado: Post a pic and I'll consider it :D
"Witness!" - Karsa Orlong
Advocado
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
Denmark994 Posts
October 10 2011 21:42 GMT
#12688
On October 11 2011 06:36 sJarl wrote:
Hopefully you weren't as unlucky as this guy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7P8-46Ha2Y&feature=player_embedded

Always have safety catches on your bench

@Advocado: Post a pic and I'll consider it :D


Holy shit - bar directly on torso :O. How tall are you sjarl?
http://www.twitch.tv/advocadosc2
[GiTM]-Ace
Profile Joined September 2002
United States4935 Posts
October 10 2011 21:43 GMT
#12689
yikes not quite that unlucky i was also only lifting 85kg. Was pretty bummed out after the drop though.
I may not be the best player right now but I think I can beat any 'best' players. I'll beat all the best players and become the best player. Watch me. - Jju
sJarl
Profile Joined September 2010
Iceland1699 Posts
October 10 2011 21:57 GMT
#12690
@Advo: I'm about 6' or 185cm.

He didn't need any emergency help, breathing was just very painful.
"Witness!" - Karsa Orlong
Tyrran
Profile Blog Joined January 2010
France777 Posts
October 10 2011 22:20 GMT
#12691
+ Show Spoiler +
On September 08 2011 02:21 Tyrran wrote:
Hey Teamliquid !

After spending most of my life ( I'm 24) without much exercice (yup, i'm a nerd :p), i decided it was time to change. As of today i'm 1.80m tall for 65 kg., so not a skelleton, but still a bit skinny and with little to no muscle/strength.

I dont have any gym close, so i looked around the net for bodyweigth routine for beginners, found this : simplefit.org and decided to give it a try.
I started at level 2, and managed to do 18 Round ( 1 round being 1 pull-up/3 push up/4 Squats) in 20 mins with the last pull-ups/pushups being really difficult, so I think it was a good level to start.

My goals :
  • Reach Simplefit level 5 ( i.e. be able to do 26 pullups/51 push ups/51 squats under 5 mins)
  • Reach 70 kg
  • Within 4 months
Wish me luck !



So, after one month of working out 3 times a week, i can already see huge improvements. First of all, i reached my goal of 70 kg, so i'll start reducing my calories intake, and turn the fat i have into more muscle !

Here are my workout ( simplefit.org ) results for the last 4 weeks :
 
Day 1(#Rounds) Day 2 ( time) Day 3 ( time)
18 6:38:18 6:25:00 Level 2
21 5:50:00 4:55:00 Level 2
16 7:25:00 9:15:00 Level 3
18 5:25:00 6:45:00 Level 3


Pulls-up really feel easier now ( I can manage 10 to 12 reps), but push ups still are really hard ( only about 15 reps). Bodyweigth squats also feel really easy, and i can usually do all the 33 reps (lvl3) in one set.

On a side note, i started looking for a gym not to far away from home to start lifting some weigth, but all I can find are really expensive 'high tech' gyms that dont even have a squat rack :/. I'm not rich enough to invest 700+ eur/year in gym yet :p
Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain.
discodancer
Profile Joined September 2011
United States280 Posts
October 10 2011 23:39 GMT
#12692
On October 10 2011 13:54 phyre112 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 10 2011 09:46 discodancer wrote:
I've always made fun of people that work out instead of doing actual sports, but I am in a pretty pitiful shape atm. I used to do a lot of running almost daily and muay thai probably 3 times a week but that was a long time ago. Here I am now, skinny as fuck, 6.3 174 pounds. I have a belief that no matter what kind of food I consume I don't gain any weight. I get heart palpitations once in a while, no idea if that's related to coffee or stress in general. Had anxiety disorder for a few years. So any tips on gaining weight? Would like to see results within 2-3 months.

No idea how much I bench, probably no less than 80kg. Don't think I ever did any other exercise besides like dumbbells ( I think I can still do 40 pound ones 10-15x each 3 sets, but I fell like they are a bit heavy)


I'd say that lifting is at least as difficult as any other sport out there. It's also intensely personal - in basketball, you can get better by learning to work with your team. In lifting, if you aren't improving it's 100% because of what YOU are or are not doing.

I'm the same size as you (6'3 175ish) and I'll tell you that while you CAN gain weight, it's a disgusting amount of food for guys our size. 3500 calories a day to put on weight, at least 3000 just to maintain it. Milk is your best friend - and you'll really be stuffing yourself every meal even then. It's why I couldn't stick with leangains - I'm actually not capable of eating 2k calories in one sitting no matter the source, it was painful to attempt. Amazing cutting program, TERRIBLE bulking program.


So since you've probably tried many things by now seeing how you post in this thread, can you recommend something that works for you? Or at least supposed to work?

Anyone else knows how to beat super fast metabolism?

Btw I searched for nutrition thread on TL but the only thing that pops up is 'paleo diet' and I don't think that it is what I'm looking for.
decafchicken
Profile Blog Joined January 2005
United States20168 Posts
October 11 2011 01:03 GMT
#12693
On October 11 2011 08:39 discodancer wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 10 2011 13:54 phyre112 wrote:
On October 10 2011 09:46 discodancer wrote:
I've always made fun of people that work out instead of doing actual sports, but I am in a pretty pitiful shape atm. I used to do a lot of running almost daily and muay thai probably 3 times a week but that was a long time ago. Here I am now, skinny as fuck, 6.3 174 pounds. I have a belief that no matter what kind of food I consume I don't gain any weight. I get heart palpitations once in a while, no idea if that's related to coffee or stress in general. Had anxiety disorder for a few years. So any tips on gaining weight? Would like to see results within 2-3 months.

No idea how much I bench, probably no less than 80kg. Don't think I ever did any other exercise besides like dumbbells ( I think I can still do 40 pound ones 10-15x each 3 sets, but I fell like they are a bit heavy)


I'd say that lifting is at least as difficult as any other sport out there. It's also intensely personal - in basketball, you can get better by learning to work with your team. In lifting, if you aren't improving it's 100% because of what YOU are or are not doing.

I'm the same size as you (6'3 175ish) and I'll tell you that while you CAN gain weight, it's a disgusting amount of food for guys our size. 3500 calories a day to put on weight, at least 3000 just to maintain it. Milk is your best friend - and you'll really be stuffing yourself every meal even then. It's why I couldn't stick with leangains - I'm actually not capable of eating 2k calories in one sitting no matter the source, it was painful to attempt. Amazing cutting program, TERRIBLE bulking program.


So since you've probably tried many things by now seeing how you post in this thread, can you recommend something that works for you? Or at least supposed to work?

Anyone else knows how to beat super fast metabolism?

Btw I searched for nutrition thread on TL but the only thing that pops up is 'paleo diet' and I don't think that it is what I'm looking for.


The only way to put on weight is to eat. You might think you're eating enough but you're not. When i was putting on weight i was consuming anywhere from 5-6000 calories a day, stuffing my face 5-6 meals and smashing milk like there was no tomorrow while doing heavy compound lifting 3-4x a week. Ended up putting on ~15 pounds in a semester.
how reasonable is it to eat off wood instead of your tummy?
Catch
Profile Joined September 2010
United States616 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-10-11 01:17:48
October 11 2011 01:15 GMT
#12694
Sorry about not logging my last one. It's over on fitocracy though.
---
Squat
155 x 5
185 x 5
200 x 5
150 x 10 x 5

Lying Leg Curl
40 lbs x 10 sets x 5 sets

Tricep pushdowns w/ Rope
80 x 10
110 x 5
70 x 10
---
Welp. Wanted to die after the squats. Do wonders for your bowels though, I think I lost about two pounds over the day. But still felt like dying. Wanted to just puke.

Throwing in some quick bicep/tricep week every other week, and hitting calves during my upper body lifts.

Also, my shoulder is really injured, so I won't be able to do OHP. I'll be scheduling a PT visit here soon, once I get through all my exams. Until then, I won't be doing OHP and possibly bench.
---
Song of the Week:

Justin Moore - Bait a hook
Victory Loves Preparation
phyre112
Profile Joined August 2009
United States3090 Posts
October 11 2011 01:26 GMT
#12695
On October 11 2011 08:39 discodancer wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 10 2011 13:54 phyre112 wrote:
On October 10 2011 09:46 discodancer wrote:
I've always made fun of people that work out instead of doing actual sports, but I am in a pretty pitiful shape atm. I used to do a lot of running almost daily and muay thai probably 3 times a week but that was a long time ago. Here I am now, skinny as fuck, 6.3 174 pounds. I have a belief that no matter what kind of food I consume I don't gain any weight. I get heart palpitations once in a while, no idea if that's related to coffee or stress in general. Had anxiety disorder for a few years. So any tips on gaining weight? Would like to see results within 2-3 months.

No idea how much I bench, probably no less than 80kg. Don't think I ever did any other exercise besides like dumbbells ( I think I can still do 40 pound ones 10-15x each 3 sets, but I fell like they are a bit heavy)


I'd say that lifting is at least as difficult as any other sport out there. It's also intensely personal - in basketball, you can get better by learning to work with your team. In lifting, if you aren't improving it's 100% because of what YOU are or are not doing.

I'm the same size as you (6'3 175ish) and I'll tell you that while you CAN gain weight, it's a disgusting amount of food for guys our size. 3500 calories a day to put on weight, at least 3000 just to maintain it. Milk is your best friend - and you'll really be stuffing yourself every meal even then. It's why I couldn't stick with leangains - I'm actually not capable of eating 2k calories in one sitting no matter the source, it was painful to attempt. Amazing cutting program, TERRIBLE bulking program.


So since you've probably tried many things by now seeing how you post in this thread, can you recommend something that works for you? Or at least supposed to work?

Anyone else knows how to beat super fast metabolism?

Btw I searched for nutrition thread on TL but the only thing that pops up is 'paleo diet' and I don't think that it is what I'm looking for.


Paleo diet is actually something most of us follow as far as health goes - it's about eating "real" foods that are of high quality, and eliminating a lot of the harmful chemicals and proteins in the common diet today. Try it out sometime, promise you'll feel great. There is also a "general nutrition" thread stickied in this very forum.

As far as "beating" your metabolism... sure, I have a few tips. First, as a student I keep my mini fridge full of things that are easy to eat. Greek yogurt, cheese, milk, grapefruit, tuna, almonds and eggs. Things I can eat any time I have five minutes or while i'm studying. Second, abuse liquid or semi -liquid calories whenever possible. Milk, and fruit juices, and even things that are "easy" to swallow like yogurt and pudding. The faster you eat, the less you feel like its a chore to put down that much food (which it certainly is. I'm fighting with myself to keep swallowing by the end of each meal.) Third and most importantly, COUNT YOUR CALORIES. If I count what I eat in a day, I can get through 3500 cals and make progress. If I "estimate" and eat until i'm stuffed, I hit 2700 max and I lose weight that week, which more than anything is disdiappointing. There are many resources online for estimating portion size, and its an easy enough thing to get good at. Download a desktop (or smartphone) calorie tracker - I use myfitnesspal and get started. You'll shoot up if you stick to it for a few weeks.
eshlow
Profile Joined June 2008
United States5210 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-10-11 04:03:28
October 11 2011 04:02 GMT
#12696
How to to beat a super fast metabolism and gain weight...... eat more.

People who are "hard gainers" don't eat enough. Put your food into fitday. It's almost a guarantee you're not eating 3000 kcals at the very least. If you're bigger than 180 lbs you may have to eat in excess of 3.5k or 4k kcals.

I know a couple people at 200-220 lbs who are trying to add more muscle and they have to eat around 5,000+ kcals to gain weight.

Eat more. No exceptions.
Overcoming Gravity: A Systematic Approach to Gymnastics and Bodyweight Strength
rezoacken
Profile Joined April 2010
Canada2719 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-10-11 05:15:44
October 11 2011 05:10 GMT
#12697
Hello,

I'm the skiny guy type, actually 5.7feet and between 115-120lbs. I also have a poor cardio. Well... I'm out of shape and close to being underweight.
Never thought too much about all this before 2-3 weeks ago. After some thoughts, I felt this is the good time (student) to motivate myself and begin the journey to get a better shape and overall health. And to get all this into a routine.

I wanted to start step by step, therefore I started small beginning to eat more in the last days. I feel this is my major issue, I'm used to eat very little (I happened even to nearly fast a whole day sometimes). For the last week I have probably eatten 1.5-2x what I'm used to. It's going well (just shitting twice as much now :O), especially since I never liked junk anyways BUT I still have a couple of question regarding food:
- I have some trouble sometimes having the time to make a proper meal when I feel my stomach could take it. Do you have any recommendation for fast and easy to do meals with the right composition ?
- Are things like Whey Proteins a good option for me ? If yes is there a specific one I should take.

I have also begun to do some cardio because running 300m and be down was starting to suck and I want this to feel better as soon as possible.

Next step (close step) is to start the lifting. This is scheduled as soon as I have a good eating habit and know where to exactly fit it in my schedule.

With all this my current goal is to get a decent cardio (short term), good eating habits (stop skipping meals), and gain weight in the very long run (something around 30-40lbs would be fine in a distant future).

What are reasonable expectations (having good nutrition and lifting weights) for me as for gain/time ratio ?

Last question:
If I wanted to make some sort of blog or journal to keep my head clear for what to do, should I make a post on this forum or in the blog section ? I just feel this very long thread may be starting to get bloated.

Oh one more:
Usually I see a lot of books, article etc for this but most of the content seems devoted to weightloss. I wonder if there is some study material really oriented to my type ?

Edit: Hmmm probably should have posted this in the Q/A thread... sorry if it is misplaced.
Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.
BouBou.865
Profile Joined December 2010
Netherlands814 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-10-11 06:06:34
October 11 2011 06:04 GMT
#12698
On October 11 2011 14:10 rezoacken wrote:
Hello,

I'm the skiny guy type, actually 5.7feet and between 115-120lbs. I also have a poor cardio. Well... I'm out of shape and close to being underweight.
Never thought too much about all this before 2-3 weeks ago. After some thoughts, I felt this is the good time (student) to motivate myself and begin the journey to get a better shape and overall health. And to get all this into a routine.

I wanted to start step by step, therefore I started small beginning to eat more in the last days. I feel this is my major issue, I'm used to eat very little (I happened even to nearly fast a whole day sometimes). For the last week I have probably eatten 1.5-2x what I'm used to. It's going well (just shitting twice as much now :O), especially since I never liked junk anyways BUT I still have a couple of question regarding food:
- I have some trouble sometimes having the time to make a proper meal when I feel my stomach could take it. Do you have any recommendation for fast and easy to do meals with the right composition ?
The Paleo solution, cook meals in advance. I always have 20 eggs in my fridge for cheatmeals, just pop seven or so in a pan with some garlic, basilic and voila. But then again I''m 6'5 so yeah.
- Are things like Whey Proteins a good option for me ? If yes is there a specific one I should take.
Whey protein is fine, drink whole fat milk though. Brand is pretty irrelevant, just drink a LOT (a gallon/4 liters) of full fat milk a day and you'll get enough protein/casein/calories
I have also begun to do some cardio because running 300m and be down was starting to suck and I want this to feel better as soon as possible.
Starting Strength increases cardiovascular activity too.
Next step (close step) is to start the lifting. This is scheduled as soon as I have a good eating habit and know where to exactly fit it in my schedule.

With all this my current goal is to get a decent cardio (short term), good eating habits (stop skipping meals), and gain weight in the very long run (something around 30-40lbs would be fine in a distant future).

What are reasonable expectations (having good nutrition and lifting weights) for me as for gain/time ratio ?

I went from 79kg's to 84kg's with a bit less fat and wayy more muscle. It depends how much effort you put into the program, but Starting Strength is retardedly good. Like I went to a gym 'normally' for a year with very little gains. 4 months of Starting Strength and I'm getting girls compliment me all the time. True story.
Last question:
If I wanted to make some sort of blog or journal to keep my head clear for what to do, should I make a post on this forum or in the blog section ? I just feel this very long thread may be starting to get bloated.
You don't need a blog or whatever yuppie stuff is in fashion nowadays. Just post here when you're pumped/down, and just keep up with the thread for motivation.
Oh one more:
Usually I see a lot of books, article etc for this but most of the content seems devoted to weightloss. I wonder if there is some study material really oriented to my type ?
STARTING STRENGTH BRAH.
Edit: Hmmm probably should have posted this in the Q/A thread... sorry if it is misplaced.

Also, if you have questions ASK THEM. It's not being brave not to do so, it's being stupid. And find a way to get a squat rack etc. A full set (bar/rack/weights) with your nerdy google skills should cost around 1000$ used. If you chip in with a buddy or two maybe you can find a way? The barbell is so damn good that it's really a requirement. But get SS and the paleo solution first.
Playing League of Legends. IGN: Plain Skill
NokCha
Profile Blog Joined January 2007
Korea (South)410 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-10-11 07:53:13
October 11 2011 07:52 GMT
#12699
My personal fitness trainer has me burning out every workout i have with him to the point where i feel nearly crippled the next morning. Is this the right thing to do if i'm trying to lose weight? Hes been primarily focusing on leg exercises especially squats, telling me that gaining muscles in the leg will jumpstart my weight loss.

I've lost 4% of BF over a period of 3 weeks (Was 230lb/28.1%bf when i first started, and now 227lb 25.2%bf height is 5'7)
It seems to be working but i'm worried that the burn outs are hurting me rather than helping me.
RosaParksStoleMySeat
Profile Joined December 2009
Japan926 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-10-11 11:40:28
October 11 2011 11:37 GMT
#12700
On October 11 2011 16:52 NokCha wrote:
My personal fitness trainer has me burning out every workout i have with him to the point where i feel nearly crippled the next morning. Is this the right thing to do if i'm trying to lose weight? Hes been primarily focusing on leg exercises especially squats, telling me that gaining muscles in the leg will jumpstart my weight loss.

I've lost 4% of BF over a period of 3 weeks (Was 230lb/28.1%bf when i first started, and now 227lb 25.2%bf height is 5'7)
It seems to be working but i'm worried that the burn outs are hurting me rather than helping me.


I don't like that... working out to failure is an excellent tool, but it is a tool to be used correctly--not one to be used frequently.

Weight loss is primarily driven by diet. Body composition is primarily driven by exercise. If you have a good diet (consisting of plenty of proteins, fats, and vegetables with few processed foods), you will lose weight pretty rapidly even without exercise. Your personal trainer is somewhat right in that heavy compound exercises are overall great and should be the focus of every workout, and that building up muscle in your legs will aid weight loss, but he's putting too much of an emphasis on exercise if you ask me, especially if you're feeling "crippled" the next morning...

You're right. The burnouts likely are hurting you rather than helping you. There are plenty of knowledgeable people in this thread who would be happy to help you and provide all of the information you need to get where you want; there's no reason to pay a personal trainer to make you feel like hell in the process.

Anyway, my workout today:

Squat: 100kgx3x10 (almost threw up after the third set, lol)
Power Clean to 85kg
Push Press: 67.5kgx5x5

Took me like an hour and a half because I'm teaching a man at my gym how to power clean, and I keep having to work with him on his form. I'm by no means a qualified coach, but I guess I can at least teach him the progressions and recommend some videos for watching.

Tomorrow morning is my weekly weigh-in! I'm hoping for 98kg. I may even repeat this weight gain program that I'm currently on again because I may end up at only like 102-103 if I keep this pace up.
Prev 1 633 634 635 636 637 730 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 3h 50m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
mouzHeroMarine 543
UpATreeSC 97
StarCraft: Brood War
Shuttle 791
Dewaltoss 108
firebathero 81
Zeus 64
910 38
Trap 36
NaDa 28
Bale 25
ToSsGirL 18
Shine 13
Dota 2
Gorgc6562
420jenkins274
monkeys_forever99
Counter-Strike
edward92
Super Smash Bros
ArmadaUGS149
Heroes of the Storm
Liquid`Hasu2222
Other Games
summit1g5576
Grubby2837
B2W.Neo679
Beastyqt639
shahzam415
byalli411
KnowMe158
TKL 144
C9.Mang0143
ToD107
Railgan16
Chillindude10
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV247
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream105
[ Show 14 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 35
• Adnapsc2 12
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Azhi_Dahaki34
• blackmanpl 10
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Other Games
• Shiphtur278
• WagamamaTV252
Upcoming Events
PiGosaur Cup
3h 50m
Kung Fu Cup
14h 50m
Stellar Fest
16h 50m
The PondCast
1d 13h
OSC
1d 16h
OSC
2 days
CranKy Ducklings
3 days
Online Event
3 days
FEL
3 days
AI Arena Tournament
3 days
[ Show More ]
BSL: Ladder Tournament
3 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
4 days
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
Replay Cast
5 days
WardiTV Weekly
5 days
Replay Cast
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.