• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 07:46
CEST 13:46
KST 20:46
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202617Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
RSL 2026 Offline Finals LCQ Sign-Ups Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Fantasy returning? GG Lan Fest Sofia, Bulgaria [this November] Sagi.gg Launcher Released ASL22 General Discussion BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Artificial Intelligence Thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 10614 users

TL Health and Fitness Initiative 2011 - Page 175

Forum Index > Sports
Post a Reply
Prev 1 173 174 175 176 177 730 Next
Zafrumi
Profile Joined June 2009
Switzerland1272 Posts
April 17 2011 15:11 GMT
#3481
On April 18 2011 00:09 pinkranger15 wrote:
maybe tomorrow, its already 11pm here and im quite sleepy. do you know any height exercise i can use? im really contented with my height


whats a height exercise?
"Strong people are harder to kill than weak people and more useful in general" -Mark Rippetoe
Rampoon
Profile Joined May 2009
United Kingdom166 Posts
April 17 2011 15:14 GMT
#3482
Hey guys, I have recently been trying to get back into shape (I'm mid 20s, used to play a lot of rugby/rowing etc. but have been inactive for a few years now) and have been following this thread fairly avidly, about time i commit I think!
However I am kinda stuck in deciding what I should do, this SS sounds like a pretty good place to begin but I have an issue that I want to fix before getting stronger/ripped. Most of my body is pretty fat free however, after years of drinking and not exercising, I have a rather extreme belly!
Any of you more experienced people have any advice on whether I should stick to mainly doing cardio and strict eating restrictions (what i am doing currently) with a side order of strength work, or will SS etc be just as effective?
Thanks all.
Stay pumped!

ps: by extreme I mean it is fairly extensive..(i can hide it normally cause im fairly tall at 6,2 but i wanna be more naked! )
Cambium
Profile Blog Joined June 2004
United States16368 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-04-17 15:27:32
April 17 2011 15:25 GMT
#3483
rowing is a very good exercise (I think I was burning 1200kcal/hr when I was doing it) so it's very effective

strength training is obviously very good as well, i don't know if it's as effective as rowing, but it'll jolt your metabolism, and I think you'll burn calories even hours after your workout (not sure about this)

losing belly fat is not that hard, just make sure you create a deficit between input and output over a period of time
When you want something, all the universe conspires in helping you to achieve it.
sJarl
Profile Joined September 2010
Iceland1699 Posts
April 17 2011 15:30 GMT
#3484
On April 18 2011 00:14 Rampoon wrote:
Hey guys, I have recently been trying to get back into shape (I'm mid 20s, used to play a lot of rugby/rowing etc. but have been inactive for a few years now) and have been following this thread fairly avidly, about time i commit I think!
However I am kinda stuck in deciding what I should do, this SS sounds like a pretty good place to begin but I have an issue that I want to fix before getting stronger/ripped. Most of my body is pretty fat free however, after years of drinking and not exercising, I have a rather extreme belly!
Any of you more experienced people have any advice on whether I should stick to mainly doing cardio and strict eating restrictions (what i am doing currently) with a side order of strength work, or will SS etc be just as effective?
Thanks all.
Stay pumped!

ps: by extreme I mean it is fairly extensive..(i can hide it normally cause im fairly tall at 6,2 but i wanna be more naked! )


Just add more muscles on your chest/shoulders and no-one will notice the gut :D

On a serious note, just do some heavy lifting, start rowing/rugby again and you'll be missing it shortly.
"Witness!" - Karsa Orlong
vicariouscheese
Profile Joined June 2010
United States589 Posts
April 17 2011 15:38 GMT
#3485
On April 17 2011 23:31 pinkranger15 wrote:
hey guys. so i just recently enrolled in a gym and my instructor gave me this routine and i want to know what your opinion of this. is this routine as good as starting strength or anywhere near as good?

+ Show Spoiler +
Day 1: LEGS AND CALVES
Back Squat 3x15
Lunges 3x15
Leg Press 3x15
Leg Extension 3x15
Leg Curl 3x15
Standing Calf Raise 3x15

Day 2: CHEST AND TRICEPS
Bench Press 3x15
Incline Press 3x15
Decline Press 3x15
Pec-Dec Flyers 3x15
Pullover 3x15
Tricep Extension 3x15
Tricep Kickback 3x15

Day 3: LATS- BACK AND BICEPS
Lat-Pull Down 3x15
Lat-Pull Down Behind the Neck 3x15
T-Bar Rowing 3x15
Barbell Rowing 3x15
One-Arm Dumbbell Row 3x15
Deadlift 3x15
Barbell Curl 3x15

Day 4: SHOULDER
Military Press 3x15
Behind the Neck Press 3x15
Side Lateral Raise 3x15
Dumbell Front Raise 3x15
Upright Row 3x15
Shurgs





Way too much volume for a beginner (which I'm assuming you are).

Can anyone say when a ton of volume like the above is good? Hypertrophy for advanced lifting is what I would assume, but I haven't looked into it yet.

And if you're asking about exercises to make you taller... pretty sure that's impossible :/
Sneakyz
Profile Joined October 2010
Sweden2361 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-04-17 16:32:18
April 17 2011 16:29 GMT
#3486
On April 17 2011 16:12 unknown.sam wrote:
on friday we had one of those "health clinic" type things visit our company to check the overall health of the employees. they had this software that measured a person's biological age. they had this thing that reads electric pulses (i'm assuming) attached to the index finger and had the person inhale and exhale for a certain period of time.

as it turns out, i had the highest deficit (biological age was lower by 9 yrs compared to calendar age) in the company. i was pretty shocked myself since i hadn't worked out in like almost a month and my diet had become pretty crappy since.

i'm sure the software/machine that came up with the figures have inaccuracies and what not, but either way i'm going to credit my uber young biological age to the fact that i had been lifting weights for over a year.

hell yeah lifting weights is the shit!

Some people just have naturally good values. My dad for example has ridiculously high values, his bloods ability to transport oxygen is that of an elite athlete and he's 60 years and have been smoking since he was 12 lol.
He also had better values than two of his colleagues, both of them are like 25 and work as personal trainers. The world can be funny sometimes.
I have found the Iron to be my greatest friend. It never freaks out on me, never runs. Friends may come and go. But two hundred pounds is always two hundred pounds.
funkie
Profile Blog Joined November 2005
Venezuela9377 Posts
April 17 2011 16:52 GMT
#3487
Friday was supposed to be a soft lifting day.

I load 110kg and do a set of 5 for DL

Then i load 120. Did one Rep.

Loaded 130kg did one Rep.

And to fuck shit up. I loaded 135kg. Did two reps. Felt awesome. I think i can hit 140-145 :o!! :D
CJ Entusman #6! · Strength is the basis of athletic ability. -Rippetoe /* http://j.mp/TL-App <- TL iPhone App 2.0! */
Levistus
Profile Joined December 2009
1134 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-04-17 17:03:48
April 17 2011 17:03 GMT
#3488
hey guys I think I'm getting a little stronger so I need heavier weights. I only have 4x 2.5lbs and 4x 5lbs(lol). What do you suggest I should get to get? Weight and amount? Thanks.

Btw I'm 5'7 1/2 and 135 lbs so pls don't suggest something that I won't be able to lift soon like 2x 100lbs or something lol.

Thanks guys!
hey man just curious
Cambium
Profile Blog Joined June 2004
United States16368 Posts
April 17 2011 17:13 GMT
#3489
^ where do you live?
When you want something, all the universe conspires in helping you to achieve it.
eshlow
Profile Joined June 2008
United States5210 Posts
April 17 2011 17:48 GMT
#3490
Hey all the new peoples:

If you're looking to find a good routine to start to either lose weight, get strong, or gain muscle then you should know I put all of that in the OP. We pretty much recommend Starting Strength as a routine for this because it will help in all those aspects. If you have no access to weights then the link I put in the front about bodyweight strength training will work as well in conjunction with some HIIT if it can be performed safely.

Also, in terms of losing fat diet is going to be about 80-85% of the equation, and I put information about that in the original post as well. Check it out.

Same with a lot of other good recommendations.

Basically, read the OP! And then post if you have questions.
Overcoming Gravity: A Systematic Approach to Gymnastics and Bodyweight Strength
Zafrumi
Profile Joined June 2009
Switzerland1272 Posts
April 17 2011 18:09 GMT
#3491
On April 18 2011 01:52 funkie wrote:
Friday was supposed to be a soft lifting day.

I load 110kg and do a set of 5 for DL

Then i load 120. Did one Rep.

Loaded 130kg did one Rep.

And to fuck shit up. I loaded 135kg. Did two reps. Felt awesome. I think i can hit 140-145 :o!! :D


good stuff funkie!
I'm gonna go for 155kg deadlift tomorrow.
"Strong people are harder to kill than weak people and more useful in general" -Mark Rippetoe
thedeadhaji *
Profile Blog Joined January 2006
39489 Posts
April 17 2011 20:36 GMT
#3492
On April 18 2011 01:52 funkie wrote:
Friday was supposed to be a soft lifting day.

I load 110kg and do a set of 5 for DL

Then i load 120. Did one Rep.

Loaded 130kg did one Rep.

And to fuck shit up. I loaded 135kg. Did two reps. Felt awesome. I think i can hit 140-145 :o!! :D


nice! I did 4 reps of DL @ 135kg yesterday and couldn't hold on for the last rep
Definitely going to monster that next week though ^^
Drowsy
Profile Blog Joined November 2005
United States4876 Posts
April 17 2011 21:04 GMT
#3493
On April 17 2011 11:37 thedeadhaji wrote:
Are "good" numbers for lifts something like 1.5xBW for squat, 2xBW for DL, 1xBW for B.Press?


Yes, that's like definitely lifts weights for a competitive sport. (unless you're like <180lbs in which case it means a bit less)
Our Protoss, Who art in Aiur HongUn be Thy name; Thy stalker come, Thy will be blunk, on ladder as it is in Micro Tourny. Give us this win in our daily ladder, and forgive us our cheeses, As we forgive those who play zerg against us.
vicariouscheese
Profile Joined June 2010
United States589 Posts
April 17 2011 21:14 GMT
#3494
On April 18 2011 02:48 eshlow wrote:
Hey all the new peoples:

If you're looking to find a good routine to start to either lose weight, get strong, or gain muscle then you should know I put all of that in the OP. We pretty much recommend Starting Strength as a routine for this because it will help in all those aspects. If you have no access to weights then the link I put in the front about bodyweight strength training will work as well in conjunction with some HIIT if it can be performed safely.

Also, in terms of losing fat diet is going to be about 80-85% of the equation, and I put information about that in the original post as well. Check it out.

Same with a lot of other good recommendations.

Basically, read the OP! And then post if you have questions.


eshlow, can you make a heading with this so everyone sees it every page Kind of like the header in the vegan thread lolol
sJarl
Profile Joined September 2010
Iceland1699 Posts
April 17 2011 21:20 GMT
#3495
Just saw this "poster" when I walked into my gym today.
[image loading]
Aumingjar means weaklings

Did week 7 of the Coan/Philippi routine.

Ramped up to a deadlift of 197,5kg x 2. The same weight as week 4 and then I only managed 1 rep, so I'm super happy about nailing it.



Camera cuts off after 30 sec but I locked the last rep.

Did a set of 150kg x 3 after and then just laughed at what was perscribed: 3 sets of 165kg x 3 with 2 min rest intervals. That is just madness.

2 sets of Power Shrugs: 125kg x 5 and 135kg x 5 (those felt very nice)

3 sets of Stiff-legs: 120kg x 5

and some weighted pullups.

Watch out Decaf! I'm coming for you
"Witness!" - Karsa Orlong
Kickstart
Profile Blog Joined May 2008
United States1941 Posts
April 17 2011 21:27 GMT
#3496
K dumb question incoming. I went to dicks sporting goods store up the road to look for chalk and check out weighlifting shoes. they didnt seem to have any shoes and there was no chalk, i found a rosin bag in the baseball section with the bats and picked it up. Rosin the same as chalk or should I find the right shit somewhere?

many more dumb questions to come im sure~
eshlow
Profile Joined June 2008
United States5210 Posts
April 17 2011 21:49 GMT
#3497
On April 18 2011 06:27 Kickstart wrote:
K dumb question incoming. I went to dicks sporting goods store up the road to look for chalk and check out weighlifting shoes. they didnt seem to have any shoes and there was no chalk, i found a rosin bag in the baseball section with the bats and picked it up. Rosin the same as chalk or should I find the right shit somewhere?

many more dumb questions to come im sure~


Uhhh, it will probably work but it might make the bar pretty sticky. It will increase friction though which is what you want.

Chalk is to cut down the sweat which decreases friction and makes it easier to lose grip
Overcoming Gravity: A Systematic Approach to Gymnastics and Bodyweight Strength
Kickstart
Profile Blog Joined May 2008
United States1941 Posts
April 17 2011 22:07 GMT
#3498
Ah k thanks eshlow, I will try and look around for chalk then and if I cant find any just order some online.
Just got done doing deadlifts for the first time. Harder than I expected TT, my body reacted the same way as it does to a fairly decent session of HIIT lol.
Zafrumi
Profile Joined June 2009
Switzerland1272 Posts
April 17 2011 22:13 GMT
#3499
yeah a good deadlifting session will do that to you. just ask sjarl
"Strong people are harder to kill than weak people and more useful in general" -Mark Rippetoe
Sneakyz
Profile Joined October 2010
Sweden2361 Posts
April 17 2011 22:17 GMT
#3500
On April 18 2011 06:49 eshlow wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 18 2011 06:27 Kickstart wrote:
K dumb question incoming. I went to dicks sporting goods store up the road to look for chalk and check out weighlifting shoes. they didnt seem to have any shoes and there was no chalk, i found a rosin bag in the baseball section with the bats and picked it up. Rosin the same as chalk or should I find the right shit somewhere?

many more dumb questions to come im sure~


Uhhh, it will probably work but it might make the bar pretty sticky. It will increase friction though which is what you want.

Chalk is to cut down the sweat which decreases friction and makes it easier to lose grip

Some cheap garden gloves work pretty decent.
I have found the Iron to be my greatest friend. It never freaks out on me, never runs. Friends may come and go. But two hundred pounds is always two hundred pounds.
Prev 1 173 174 175 176 177 730 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 11h 14m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
Lowko262
LamboSC2 138
Codebar 27
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 23405
Calm 6035
Rain 2118
Bisu 1282
FanTaSy 924
Jaedong 472
Horang2 458
Rush 397
Soma 358
BeSt 254
[ Show more ]
Stork 233
Zeus 220
Mini 168
Light 115
Larva 100
Mong 90
Barracks 83
Hyun 79
Pusan 77
Mind 76
Snow 74
910 69
ZerO 68
Free 56
ToSsGirL 39
Sea.KH 37
Killer 35
Yoon 32
NaDa 28
Sexy 27
Shinee 26
Noble 17
Terrorterran 17
Hm[arnc] 16
Bale 14
sorry 14
Sacsri 6
Dota 2
Gorgc6462
Counter-Strike
fl0m1693
olofmeister1049
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King93
Other Games
gofns60279
singsing1824
B2W.Neo586
dupreeh393
crisheroes291
ZerO(Twitch)6
Organizations
StarCraft: Brood War
lovetv 5
[ Show 12 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• FirePhoenix9
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Jankos2266
• Nemesis897
Other Games
• WagamamaTV146
Upcoming Events
OSC
11h 14m
Big Brain Bouts
22h 14m
Rex vs INexorable
GgMaChine vs HeRoMaRinE
Reynor vs herO
AI Arena Tournament
1d 5h
BSL: Ladder Tournament
1d 7h
Sparkling Tuna Cup
1d 22h
Patches Events
2 days
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
WardiTV Weekly
3 days
PiGosaur Cup
4 days
[ Show More ]
The PondCast
5 days
Online Event
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-10-08
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.