• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 07:43
CEST 13:43
KST 20:43
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup3StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)65Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2314
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Awesome/Confusing SC2 BM SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
BW General Discussion BSL Season 23 Bot on ladder ASL22 General Discussion JaeDong's ASL S22 Ro. 8 Review
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 12507 users

[Update] New novel featuring SC2 available now! - Page 6

Forum Index > Sponsored Threads
Post a Reply
Prev 1 4 5 6 7 8 12 Next All
mrpink
Profile Joined August 2010
United States27 Posts
June 22 2011 05:05 GMT
#101
terrible terrible damage
suspiciousbear
Profile Joined December 2010
Canada112 Posts
June 22 2011 05:07 GMT
#102
+ Show Spoiler +
On June 22 2011 12:39 Chef wrote:
I'm going to tell you something that upsets every writer the first time they hear it:

Show nested quote +
Cracking his knuckles, he set his fingers to the keyboard and got to work.


Don't start sentences this way. It is always more effective to write directly. "He cracked his knuckles and set his fingers to work on the keyboard." Maybe that sounds like the same thing, but trust me if you replace every sentence you wrote this way your book will read about 100 times better. If you're genuinely interested in becoming better at writing, please consider rewriting some of the paragraphs this way, and rereading them for yourself to see if it helps. I can't help you have better ideas, but I can tell you that this is one of the first things regular readers groan at when reading amateur fiction. Once you start noticing it it's horrible.


This completely sums up why I find the writing itself to be so hard to stomach. A ridiculously disproportionate amount of the text is written this way. This makes everything so disjointed for me, it's not a pleasant read at all. I love that the writer found an interest in Starcraft 2 and wanted to write a story based around it, but even the best plot (which isn't present in this book) wouldn't be able to do it for me if it's being hampered by such viscous writing.
Ryalnos
Profile Joined July 2010
United States1946 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-06-22 05:18:13
June 22 2011 05:13 GMT
#103
Props to the author for your positive responses to criticism in this thread, despite the SC-fanboyish criticism of the minutiae of gaming details or the utter dismissals of your work by literary prodigies.

There are, of course, good posts like Chef's.

With a healthy, improvement-oriented mindset I can imagine that this feedback may prove helpful for future projects. It's always good to be able to shrug off the vitriol of criticism in order to pick out useful information.

Btw, $5 ~= movie theater matinee.
MaestroSC
Profile Blog Joined August 2009
United States2073 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-06-22 06:53:20
June 22 2011 06:48 GMT
#104
This one time in college one of my creative writing professors gave us an assignment: think of a sentence/paragraph that would cause you to put the book back on the shelf/in the trash immediately....

Seriously let me give my interpretation of this book.

Cheesy cliche'ed government story that you have seen/read 5000 times. Oh and some esports to try to get some sort of fan-base because straight up this is nothing interesting, and needs a last minute gimmick. Written by: amateur writer who knows nothing about esports....but needed a gimmick to make it somewhat appealing to anyone possible. Hype hype hype

And whoever said "its fiction it doesn't have to be realistic". It does if its set in a real setting. And at least has to be accurate/coherent in its own setting. Fictional crime stories set in the early 1900'! Will never have "and then ronald reagan killed the terminator with a heat seeking missile shot out of his ball point pen". So there is still an argument for realism/coherency in fictional pieces.

But naybe I'm the only one reading it as "loads of bad but it has an esports gimmick"...

Next piece: fbi loses control of double agent at the professional bowling world championships... will the terrorist succeed in his goal of killing america's best bowler?!?!

I hope my criticism is somewhat helpful. I just don't like the idea of "pay for this me cause its for the benefit of esports". Seriously bandwagoner how about you sell your ideas for their content instead of trying to piggyback off of esports and say "its for the scene! You should buy it to promote esports!"

Idk in my honest opinion this is like selling a plain white shirt with "esports rules" written in permanent marker. "But its for the benefit of esports. If you don't buy it you hate esports and want them to fail by not promoting esports with ur money."
Lesser
Profile Joined June 2011
Canada33 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-06-22 07:49:19
June 22 2011 06:59 GMT
#105
Sounds stupid.

Sean "Boxer"? Could you have made that anymore obvious?
"I just know that if I would be casting with him, I wouldn't say anything. I would just want to listen to the music of this voice." -Grubby on NightEnD's casting
CursOr
Profile Blog Joined January 2009
United States6335 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-06-22 07:11:30
June 22 2011 07:07 GMT
#106
I'd copy and paste the Negative review of it from Amazon here, but you guys can go check it out for yourselves. It is very poignant and almost antagonistic, because it's obviously made to both criticize the writing style and be better written that the book.

I'm a slow, uneducated reader myself, which might help me not notice some of the problems- but with everything that has been said about this, I really can't spend any time with it. It takes me 10X the time to read anything it takes a normal person.

While I suppose the effort is appreciated, I hate to think of the warped picture a book like this might give someone who doesn't know anything about Starcraft to begin with. They might think we all live in this mundane, thoughtless world. (See the review I mentioned.)

Lots of comments in the thread, while quite blunt and crass (always characteristic of the internet) seem to be nearly 100% true in this case.
CJ forever (-_-(-_-(-_-(-_-)-_-)-_-)-_-)
Pandepic
Profile Joined February 2011
Australia219 Posts
June 22 2011 07:15 GMT
#107
As with other people I feel like this is hard to read because it has some serious problems with the writing style attempting to be overly flashy, and overall feels like a cheap attempt to cash in on the rise in popularity of e-sports. The sample chapters provided are also incredibly cheesy and silly and I definitely couldn't stomach reading an entire book where there are so many cheesy references crammed into each chapter. There is also nothing that makes me relate at all to the main character so far, and I'm sorry to say but it really does end up coming out like very average fanfiction.

Some people could say I shouldn't judge a book by the first 2 chapters, but realistically when I read a book if the first 2 chapters are this bad there is no way I'm going to continue reading it, and having been provided with this sample I wont be buying the book.

If your interest in e sports is genuine and you are determined to become a published author then I hope one day you will find a way to write a story based on e sports that doesn't come out as silly as this one, the idea of somebody training for GSL by playing team games really is absurd and it would have taken very little research for you to know that and leave it out of the book. Those things can seem like small details but in fact they are not small and they really can be off putting to people that realize how silly it is, on top of everything else.

Sorry to be so harsh but when you post something like this on a website dedicated to Starcraft then you really are going to get some very harsh criticism.
Fus
Profile Joined August 2010
Sweden1112 Posts
June 22 2011 07:21 GMT
#108
Read the samples, liked it very much. I'll probably ending up buying it
NaNiwa | Innovation | Flash | DeMuslim ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Cel.erity
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
United States4890 Posts
June 22 2011 08:03 GMT
#109
On June 22 2011 16:07 cursor wrote:
I'd copy and paste the Negative review of it from Amazon here, but you guys can go check it out for yourselves. It is very poignant and almost antagonistic, because it's obviously made to both criticize the writing style and be better written that the book.


Interestingly, I checked out the Amazon reviews for the book, and found one positive 5-star review. I quote: "Read this book when it came out based on a facebook recommendation. I really liked it! Was lots of fun ". This review was submitted by one Wesley Mitchell. Hmmmmmmmmmm......

I dunno, I just find it a bit disingenuous to market your book this way, especially on the most hardcore Starcraft forum in the western world, where people are going to nitpick at absolutely every detail within. It's kind of like how every chess forum makes fun of the movies where the actors move some pieces around and go "Aha! Checkmate!". Stuff like that just doesn't happen, and yes, you need to be addicted to Starcraft to notice it.

From what I read of the writing itself, I'm going to give you some very constructive criticism, from one writer to another: use less adjectives. Adjectives and adverbs are powerful descriptive tools, but reliance on them often shows insecurity in your writing ability, and it seems that you use them in a rather overabundance. Once you describe the character as having curly hair, or whatever, you don't really need to address him later in the book by saying that "His curly locks swayed majestically in the breeze as his feet carried him with unyielding swiftness to the coffee shop". There are more elegant ways of getting your point across. Try getting inside the head of your main character rather than reiterating what a random passerby might see if they were looking at him for the first time. You're creating a distance from your character with phrases like these.
We found Dove in a soapless place.
billiebrightside
Profile Joined March 2011
United States150 Posts
June 22 2011 08:05 GMT
#110
On June 22 2011 09:17 ErikaMitchell wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 22 2011 09:05 susySquark wrote:
[
Its great to see that kind of interest from someone who used to be an outsider. What I don't understand is why you chose the approach you did! Your hero starts off as an insider, a Starcrafter already familiar with the community. You had a huge opportunity to start him off as an outsider like yourself, and bring the reader along for the ride, to share your experience of discovering a new culture, coming to love icons like Day9, and eventually becoming passionate about esports.


Ah, that would have been a great angle except how likely would it be for an outsider to eventually rise to the ranks of the GSL?! I'm a total outsider (I never even played Super Mario Bros as a kid) and I'd say there's exactly no chance at all that I'd ever be good enough at SC2 to make it to the GSL.

But yes, that would have been a fun angle!


This is an interesting point. Although your argument is reasonable, we (the community) have lived several moment that have taught us not to judge outsiders as forever noobs. Thorzain was fairly unknown before he amazed us all in his TSL3 victory.

I praise you very much for your courage and effort put into this book. I know there must be a love for the game if you're going yo write 76,000 words about it. However, I would have recommended more personal interaction of you with the community before finishing the novel. We already had a discussion of whether it was "colossuses" or "colossi" or etc. It was pretty big, and most casters began referring to them as "Collosi". The fact that you referred to them as colosusses is a deal-breaker for me. Good luck with this book and future endeavors!
Mother always said: "My son, do the noble thing. You have to finish what you started now, no matter what. Now sit, watch, and learn!"
pookadin
Profile Joined June 2011
Australia422 Posts
June 22 2011 08:19 GMT
#111
http://www.reddit.com/r/starcraft/comments/i4lmi/so_my_wife_just_finished_her_book_whose/
*JYP* #1 fan! ♥♥ twitter~ @Pookadin
ExTerminator
Profile Joined March 2011
United States22 Posts
June 22 2011 08:21 GMT
#112
On June 22 2011 04:30 fearlessparagon wrote:
Sounds like Enders game


...Not at all. Ender's game was about a kid being played by the system. This seems to be about a 20-something year old guy fighting against the bull shit of bureaucratic procedure, and corruption in the pro gaming scene.... as the description says. Will definitely read this.
HoMM
Profile Joined July 2010
Estonia636 Posts
June 22 2011 08:24 GMT
#113
When I first announced that PWNED was coming out, a friend of mine, in the interest of being a good friend, asked me if it was ready. If it was the best it could possibly be.
At the time I answered yes, because I thought (and still think) that it’s a great story. Now, though, I’m inclined to think it’s not the best it could possibly be.
The reason being that I’m not as good at writing as I will ever be. I could keep every book I write cloistered on my computer for decades, and just work through them with a fine-toothed comb every time I learn a new technique. I could spend my entire life re-writing and revising them, convinced they’re not ready because of my fear of what I don’t know.
I’m not interested in doing that.
This is me fully admitting that I’m a writing noob. PWNED is not the Great American Novel, and I fully admit to having room to learn and grow.
What I also fully admit to is loving the story, the characters, and the plot. I had so much fun writing this book, and it shows. I’m steeling myself for the inevitable bad reviews on the horizon (because trolls are everywhere and I’d be foolish to think they’ll ignore me) but I’m also just really excited to share the story with whoever is interested in reading it.



Doesn't sound too promising + money leaving esports scene and going to book companies and authors isn't what I like.
SC2 Masters Protoss - LoL Diamond adc/support www.twitter.com/hommlol www.youtube.com/homm87
FlyingDJ
Profile Joined April 2008
Germany153 Posts
June 22 2011 08:42 GMT
#114
Colourful writing is no substitute for an interesting story, this is what the sample chapters clearly showed. Also, I find the description rather patronizing and cheesy. We're gamers, not children. Clearly, there is lots of potential for writing the story of a gamer who goes to Korea and struggles to balance everything out. However, if you're not a gamer, you're going to write this mediocre book instead of a good one.
Slakter
Profile Joined January 2010
Sweden1947 Posts
June 22 2011 08:56 GMT
#115
Hmmm, seems like one of those books just trying to cash in on a growing scene. I´ll wait and see some reviews.
Protoss, can't live with em', can't kill em'.
pookadin
Profile Joined June 2011
Australia422 Posts
June 22 2011 08:59 GMT
#116
On June 22 2011 17:24 HoMM wrote:
Doesn't sound too promising + money leaving esports scene and going to book companies and authors isn't what I like.


At least they payed for a sponsored thread on TL..at least thats some money going back to the scene. I wouldnt worry about any money leaving the esports scene because noones going to be giving up their GSL subscription and buying this instead
*JYP* #1 fan! ♥♥ twitter~ @Pookadin
iRk
Profile Joined September 2010
Sweden83 Posts
June 22 2011 09:33 GMT
#117
This one will I read =)
Think less, play more.
Lesser
Profile Joined June 2011
Canada33 Posts
June 22 2011 09:49 GMT
#118
"Sean sent his tall, leggy Colossuses"

DURRR DURRRR DURRRRR.
"I just know that if I would be casting with him, I wouldn't say anything. I would just want to listen to the music of this voice." -Grubby on NightEnD's casting
vengee
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Canada52 Posts
June 22 2011 10:03 GMT
#119
Made a purchase!
Gotta support amazing ideas like this =)
EE HAHN TIMING!
Kielbasa
Profile Joined November 2010
Australia67 Posts
June 22 2011 11:04 GMT
#120
On June 22 2011 18:49 Lesser wrote:
"Sean sent his tall, leggy Colossuses"

DURRR DURRRR DURRRRR.


I'm gonna get turned on every time I see a collosus now.
Prev 1 4 5 6 7 8 12 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Online Event
20:00
BamsPatch 1.0 Weekly #3
Liquipedia
CranKy Ducklings
19:00
Sea Duckling Open #150 (SHIN Mod Edition)
CranKy Ducklings110
CranKy Ducklings SOOP32
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
Lowko270
ProTech127
SHIN 112
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 25735
Hyuk 1277
Shuttle 1102
Bisu 1064
Mind 867
Larva 317
firebathero 272
Mini 264
Soma 189
EffOrt 170
[ Show more ]
Last 133
Leta 123
ZerO 91
Zeus 79
Pusan 76
Hyun 67
Hm[arnc] 56
sorry 38
PianO 36
Sexy 36
Killer 33
Bale 29
Trap 28
Aegong 27
ToSsGirL 27
hero 23
yabsab 14
Noble 12
JulyZerg 8
Sacsri 6
Dota 2
Dendi943
XcaliburYe606
XaKoH 370
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor1527
Other Games
gofns35237
singsing2431
B2W.Neo824
crisheroes281
Happy198
DeMusliM178
OGKoka 167
Mew2King119
Livibee100
ArmadaUGS64
ZerO(Twitch)6
ToD4
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream174
[ Show 12 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• StrangeGG 62
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• C_a_k_e 8132
League of Legends
• Jankos1688
Other Games
• WagamamaTV169
Upcoming Events
FEL
4h 17m
AI Arena Tournament
5h 17m
BSL: Ladder Tournament
7h 17m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
22h 17m
INu's Battles
1d
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 7h
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 7h
Replay Cast
1d 12h
Afreeca Starleague
1d 22h
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
1d 23h
[ Show More ]
Monday Night Weeklies
2 days
Afreeca Starleague
2 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
2 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
3 days
The PondCast
4 days
INu's Battles
4 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-10-02
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
Copium Cup
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.