• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 02:19
CEST 08:19
KST 15:19
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)73Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3
StarCraft 2
General
Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4) StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups?
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft Sagi.gg Launcher Released Fantasy returning? BSL Season 23 Bot on ladder
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Artificial Intelligence Thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Canadian Politics Mega-thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8649 users

The LiquidLegends Lounge - Page 1767

Forum Index > The Shopkeeper′s Inn
Post a Reply
Prev 1 1765 1766 1767 1768 1769 1885 Next
iCanada
Profile Joined August 2010
Canada10660 Posts
October 10 2017 18:31 GMT
#35321
On October 11 2017 02:26 PrinceXizor wrote:
Length of commute also is one of the larger factors for upward mobility in terms of wealth.


Interesting. Positive or negative correlation?
PrinceXizor
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States17713 Posts
October 10 2017 19:03 GMT
#35322
On October 11 2017 03:31 iCanada wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 11 2017 02:26 PrinceXizor wrote:
Length of commute also is one of the larger factors for upward mobility in terms of wealth.


Interesting. Positive or negative correlation?

Longer commute = less upward mobility.
iCanada
Profile Joined August 2010
Canada10660 Posts
October 10 2017 19:12 GMT
#35323
Awesome. I'm 5 minutes from the office at new job. ^_^ old commute was an hour and a half.

I think you have to bust your ass regardless but still nice to see the metrics boost ya.
WaveofShadow
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
Canada31495 Posts
October 10 2017 19:32 GMT
#35324
I've said my piece on this somewhere, but it's all about your priorities. It sounds yours are similar to mine, Req.
I probably could have gone to med school if I wanted, but 10+ years of school/long hours/stress really didn't seem like the life I wanted, so I ended up going into something similar, still providing health care but with less overhead.

I could be earning WAY more than I do if I opened my own practice, struggled for a few years of building up a patient base/managing the practice, but the way it is now I don't have to bring work home with me, I get to spend time with my family in the morning/evening (some I don't but that's just how this particular career is everywhere really) and I'm MUCH happier than I would be with more money, I think.

twitch.tv/waveofshadow ||| Winner of AHGL's So You Think You Can Cast! ||| Juicy Dad for lyfe ||| 'idk i get a kick out of stupid things' - Jarms Yarng
Requizen
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States33802 Posts
October 10 2017 21:42 GMT
#35325
The main issue is that I've not held down a job for more than ~1.3 year at a time up until this point. For one reason or another I end up leaving and going somewhere else. I planned to be here for at least 5 years so it didn't look like I was jobhopping, which makes it pretty hard to pin down a job when you do want to look for one if they think you're going to bail after a year there.

Just annoyed.
It's your boy Guzma!
Duvon
Profile Joined October 2011
Sweden2360 Posts
October 10 2017 21:49 GMT
#35326
Is it possible to get a bike for the final part of the commute? 30+min walk is excessive.when you just want to get somewhere.
Two hour commutes aren't too bad if it's no or max 1 switch. But with two+ it really sucks.
Nothing is impossible, only some things for some people.
Requizen
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States33802 Posts
October 10 2017 21:54 GMT
#35327
On October 11 2017 06:49 Duvon wrote:
Is it possible to get a bike for the final part of the commute? 30+min walk is excessive.when you just want to get somewhere.

I can rent one for $9 per day or $100 per year. It's actually not too bad for Chicago, but of course it's absolute garbage during rain or snow.

Two hour commutes aren't too bad if it's no or max 1 switch.

Disagree which is the whole point of this thing.
It's your boy Guzma!
killerdog
Profile Joined February 2010
Denmark6522 Posts
Last Edited: 2017-10-10 22:11:06
October 10 2017 22:10 GMT
#35328
On October 11 2017 06:54 Requizen wrote:
Show nested quote +
Two hour commutes aren't too bad if it's no or max 1 switch.

Disagree which is the whole point of this thing.

Can you work (or game? :p) on the train?

Have a few people I know with very long commutes, but they all make it work by being able to be productive on the train.

Grandparents brother in law actually won a chess world championship just by using all his train time to study positions.

If it's just 4 dead hours a day then your basically working 4 hours overtime every day with zero pay. That kinda sucks :<
WaveofShadow
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
Canada31495 Posts
October 10 2017 22:26 GMT
#35329
That's not the problem it seems, guys.
Yeah he can use his train time for all sorts of stuff, but he's not spending time with his wife/family.
On top of that, commuting even if you're not doing the driving is not the same as down time at home.

Req from everything you've described it really just seems like you should find something else. I get the job hopping worries, but you do what you've got to do. If you apply somewhere and they ask, you explain. It's not exactly unreasonable for someone not to want to commute 4h each day.
twitch.tv/waveofshadow ||| Winner of AHGL's So You Think You Can Cast! ||| Juicy Dad for lyfe ||| 'idk i get a kick out of stupid things' - Jarms Yarng
red_
Profile Joined May 2010
United States8474 Posts
October 11 2017 00:13 GMT
#35330
On October 11 2017 06:42 Requizen wrote:
The main issue is that I've not held down a job for more than ~1.3 year at a time up until this point. For one reason or another I end up leaving and going somewhere else. I planned to be here for at least 5 years so it didn't look like I was jobhopping, which makes it pretty hard to pin down a job when you do want to look for one if they think you're going to bail after a year there.

Just annoyed.


I feel like I've read a ton lately that especially in the tech industry the short job stay thing is perfectly fine, normal, and possibly even advantageous for the employee because it leads to more money than staying in the same spot. Not really in a position to google it up right now but especially this early in your career I wouldn't be too scared of having some short stints on the resume.
How did the experience of working at Mr Burns' Nuclear Plant influence Homer's composition of the Iliad and Odyssey?
Holyflare
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
United Kingdom30775 Posts
October 11 2017 00:30 GMT
#35331
I've read that it's a generational thing that now companies don't give a shit about employee retention and you'll be making much more money and progress switching jobs every 1-2 years which seems to be the current norm.
Gahlo
Profile Joined February 2010
United States35174 Posts
October 11 2017 01:36 GMT
#35332
On October 11 2017 09:30 Holyflare wrote:
I've read that it's a generational thing that now companies don't give a shit about employee retention and you'll be making much more money and progress switching jobs every 1-2 years which seems to be the current norm.

Yup. Companies generally don't care as long as you aren't essential to something.
zer0das
Profile Blog Joined May 2007
United States8519 Posts
October 11 2017 03:17 GMT
#35333
On October 11 2017 02:36 Requizen wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 11 2017 02:26 iCanada wrote:
Can you take a train or something to ameliorate things short term?

That's what I do. I drive ~20 minutes to the train station, take a train for an hour, walk 30+ minutes to the office, immediately go to morning meeting. There's actually no shorter solution.


What the heck. Yeah, I think I'd bail pretty quickly. I have a 5 minute commute though, and it is more like 2 minutes if there's no traffic.
Requizen
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States33802 Posts
October 11 2017 03:25 GMT
#35334
In good news though, wife's puppy adjustment period is over and she likes him now. So I got that going for me at least.
It's your boy Guzma!
Ketara
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
United States15065 Posts
October 11 2017 04:00 GMT
#35335
Hooray for the puppy
http://www.liquidlegends.net/forum/lol-general/502075-patch-61-league-of-legends-general-discussion?page=25#498
iCanada
Profile Joined August 2010
Canada10660 Posts
October 11 2017 05:10 GMT
#35336
Puppy ftw.
ticklishmusic
Profile Blog Joined August 2011
United States15977 Posts
Last Edited: 2017-10-11 05:23:23
October 11 2017 05:22 GMT
#35337
On October 11 2017 10:36 Gahlo wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 11 2017 09:30 Holyflare wrote:
I've read that it's a generational thing that now companies don't give a shit about employee retention and you'll be making much more money and progress switching jobs every 1-2 years which seems to be the current norm.

Yup. Companies generally don't care as long as you aren't essential to something.


1-2 is probably a little too hoppy. More like 2-3 would work, though a longer spell or two is good (it lets a potential employer look at you and say "hey this guy moves around but maybe he'll stick with us!). And you have to be pretty good/ show progression, otherwise it just looks like you can't hold a job.

I've got a 5 minute commute. I pay quite a bit more for rent, but it's so worth it.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Ketara
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
United States15065 Posts
October 11 2017 06:37 GMT
#35338
That's certainly how it is in Malaysia. Rare to see anyone who has been in any company more than five years. Companies don't want to keep you because they can hire somebody new for less, so it's easier for you to join a different company in the same field to get a promotion than to get a promotion within the same company.

Seems ass backwards all to hell, IMO.
http://www.liquidlegends.net/forum/lol-general/502075-patch-61-league-of-legends-general-discussion?page=25#498
Holyflare
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
United Kingdom30775 Posts
Last Edited: 2017-10-11 11:55:22
October 11 2017 08:23 GMT
#35339
Those feels when you spend all night preparing for an interview and miss important things to do it and they rearrange it to the next day instead.

So much going on lately. Girlfriend still anxious mess but she's been doing therapy and she's managed to get herself well enough to do at least some minimal volunteering which I'm happy for her. Still means I'm paying all the rent and bills which is more than my salary.

Next month tenancy ends so flat searching and have to house share. Found a friend but he wants to live in an area he doesn't really have a budget for so the homes we're looking at are mediocre but at this point I have to do it to:

A) Continue living with girlfriend.
B) Be able to afford to live.

I kind of want to tell everyone to fuck off and be a hermit or live with strangers and tell my girlfriend we can't live together until she's well enough for a job. But I'd miss her cos we're both clingy and enjoy each other's company and soppy relationship shit like that.

Also this job I'm interviewing for is the same company, the same pay, more responsibility. But at least it's not fucking typing, jesus christ. My arms are actually broken and hurt. At least in the job I can leave after a year and have good transferable skills somewhat....

New job, pressure of finding a new place and all the hassle of moving, relationships and my need to be alone. Life is a mess.

I guess I'm plowing through it and once I know about the flat I'll feel much much better I hope. Also London sucks. I wanna get money and buy a house and it's impossible. I have no savings anymore :s.
Seuss
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
United States10536 Posts
October 11 2017 14:59 GMT
#35340
On October 11 2017 14:22 ticklishmusic wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 11 2017 10:36 Gahlo wrote:
On October 11 2017 09:30 Holyflare wrote:
I've read that it's a generational thing that now companies don't give a shit about employee retention and you'll be making much more money and progress switching jobs every 1-2 years which seems to be the current norm.

Yup. Companies generally don't care as long as you aren't essential to something.


1-2 is probably a little too hoppy. More like 2-3 would work, though a longer spell or two is good (it lets a potential employer look at you and say "hey this guy moves around but maybe he'll stick with us!). And you have to be pretty good/ show progression, otherwise it just looks like you can't hold a job.

I've got a 5 minute commute. I pay quite a bit more for rent, but it's so worth it.


2-3 is the rule of thumb as I understand it. 1 is in the range where employers will start to question whether they're really going to get anything useful out of you given how much it cost them just to interview/discuss you and how long it's likely to take for you to come up to speed on domain knowledge.

But you also don't want to stay in any one place longer than that unless they're very generous with benefits/raises/bonuses, otherwise you'll stunt your earnings. I stayed at my first job 7 years and I'm probably making 10-15k less than I might otherwise because of that.
"I am not able to carry all this people alone, for they are too heavy for me." -Moses (Numbers 11:14)
Prev 1 1765 1766 1767 1768 1769 1885 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 3h 42m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft: Brood War
GuemChi 1100
910 109
Hyun 74
NotJumperer 48
Bale 34
sorry 18
Noble 10
ajuk12(nOOB) 6
Britney 0
Dota 2
febbydoto234
League of Legends
JimRising 623
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King137
Other Games
summit1g7342
Coldzera 732
WinterStarcraft347
C9.Mang0274
PiGStarcraft209
NeuroSwarm110
ceh989
ViBE32
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick613
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream41
[ Show 14 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• practicex 39
• Letter1410
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2225
League of Legends
• Rush1143
• Lourlo1001
• Stunt353
Upcoming Events
Afreeca Starleague
3h 42m
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
4h 42m
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
17h 42m
Patches Events
1d 9h
The PondCast
2 days
INu's Battles
2 days
Percival vs TBD
TBD vs herO
OSC
2 days
Replay Cast
2 days
OSC
3 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
4 days
[ Show More ]
Sparkling Tuna Cup
5 days
Patches Events
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.