• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 03:55
CEST 09:55
KST 16:55
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)31Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Fantasy returning? Bot on ladder BW General Discussion a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing Where can I find Flash replays that work?
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine All you football fans (soccer)! Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7908 users

NASL Week 4 Day 1 - Page 66

Forum Index > StarCraft 2 Tournaments
Post a Reply
Prev 1 64 65 66 67 68 75 Next
HolyArrow
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
United States7116 Posts
May 05 2011 04:25 GMT
#1301
On May 05 2011 13:21 Uhh Negative wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 05 2011 13:18 HolyArrow wrote:
On May 05 2011 13:14 Uhh Negative wrote:
On May 05 2011 13:11 HolyArrow wrote:
On May 05 2011 13:08 Executor1 wrote:
I am glad they did address the lag issue on SOTG i agree that the TSL sentiment that there wasnt any lag in korea vs EU was pretty annoying. That was the one time where i actually agreed with idra last night.


It is annoying. So many people clearly have no idea how much lag affects performance - not just actual micro, but also morale, confidence, and concentration. I see so many fallacious counterpoints to try to "disprove" lag, such as, "Oh, but *player in Korea* played so well, I don't see how there could be lag", which doesn't disprove lag at all - it only goes to make the player in Korea look really good.

It makes my head hurt, so I'm glad they addressed it on SOTG (oh, and anyone arguing with me seems to be conveniently ignoring that fact - the fact that several high-profile pros explicitly came out and said that the lag is a big factor, IdrA going as far as saying that it's a huge handicap and he doesn't play in international tournaments from Korea just because of that).

You are overplaying it, plain and simple. I don't care how crisp Artosis' connection is, Fenix is simply a better player, along with every other player Artosis has played so far. That's not to say Artosis is a bad player, he's just playing really, really good players. The result may have been closer, but there's a lot of room for it to be closer.

Maybe we should also take into consideration whether a player also woke up on the wrong side of the bed and how that affects their morale, confidence, and concentration? Or maybe we should look at the medications they are taking and see what the side effects are? There's a line you have to draw at giving players excuses.


Sure, there is a line. You seem to be implying that "lag" as an excuse lies beyond that line, which is simply ludicrous. Lag is a very measurable, provable, real thing, unlike "woke up on the wrong side of bed" and such. And having performance other than micro being affected by lag is a natural logical leap to make.

Don't strawman me by mentioning that Fenix is a better player, because I'm not saying that he isn't. I completely agree with you that the result may have been closer if there wasn't lag, and I agree that Fenix probably would have won anyway. That's not the issue here. The issue is seeing so many people going "Oh, he doesn't deserve to be here, he's a terrible player" without looking at the big picture or listening to reason.

Implying lag affected his performance in such a significant way as we saw, is ludicrous. There is just no way you can know that. Sure, it can affect someone in that way, but there a BILLION things that can affect someone's performance.


How is there no way to know if lag (something measurable, real, and handicapping according to IdrA and Tyler last night) affected performance significantly? You're trying to take something completely measurable and detectable and saying that there's no way for us to know how much it affects play. That's ridiculous. I can't believe I even have to argue this, after people on SotG clarified that it is a significant factor.
nvs.
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Canada3609 Posts
May 05 2011 04:26 GMT
#1302
I watched artosis play on his stream on the KOR server and he had like 1500/500 off of 2 base with a third going up...

Same thing, different server.
Uhh Negative
Profile Joined May 2010
United States1090 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-05-05 04:27:53
May 05 2011 04:26 GMT
#1303
On May 05 2011 13:25 HolyArrow wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 05 2011 13:21 Uhh Negative wrote:
On May 05 2011 13:18 HolyArrow wrote:
On May 05 2011 13:14 Uhh Negative wrote:
On May 05 2011 13:11 HolyArrow wrote:
On May 05 2011 13:08 Executor1 wrote:
I am glad they did address the lag issue on SOTG i agree that the TSL sentiment that there wasnt any lag in korea vs EU was pretty annoying. That was the one time where i actually agreed with idra last night.


It is annoying. So many people clearly have no idea how much lag affects performance - not just actual micro, but also morale, confidence, and concentration. I see so many fallacious counterpoints to try to "disprove" lag, such as, "Oh, but *player in Korea* played so well, I don't see how there could be lag", which doesn't disprove lag at all - it only goes to make the player in Korea look really good.

It makes my head hurt, so I'm glad they addressed it on SOTG (oh, and anyone arguing with me seems to be conveniently ignoring that fact - the fact that several high-profile pros explicitly came out and said that the lag is a big factor, IdrA going as far as saying that it's a huge handicap and he doesn't play in international tournaments from Korea just because of that).

You are overplaying it, plain and simple. I don't care how crisp Artosis' connection is, Fenix is simply a better player, along with every other player Artosis has played so far. That's not to say Artosis is a bad player, he's just playing really, really good players. The result may have been closer, but there's a lot of room for it to be closer.

Maybe we should also take into consideration whether a player also woke up on the wrong side of the bed and how that affects their morale, confidence, and concentration? Or maybe we should look at the medications they are taking and see what the side effects are? There's a line you have to draw at giving players excuses.


Sure, there is a line. You seem to be implying that "lag" as an excuse lies beyond that line, which is simply ludicrous. Lag is a very measurable, provable, real thing, unlike "woke up on the wrong side of bed" and such. And having performance other than micro being affected by lag is a natural logical leap to make.

Don't strawman me by mentioning that Fenix is a better player, because I'm not saying that he isn't. I completely agree with you that the result may have been closer if there wasn't lag, and I agree that Fenix probably would have won anyway. That's not the issue here. The issue is seeing so many people going "Oh, he doesn't deserve to be here, he's a terrible player" without looking at the big picture or listening to reason.

Implying lag affected his performance in such a significant way as we saw, is ludicrous. There is just no way you can know that. Sure, it can affect someone in that way, but there a BILLION things that can affect someone's performance.


How is there no way to know if lag (something measurable, real, and handicapping according to IdrA and Tyler last night) affected performance significantly? You're trying to take something completely measurable and detectable and saying that there's no way for us to know how much it affects play. That's ridiculous. I can't believe I even have to argue this, after people on SotG clarified that it is a significant factor.

Alright, please prove to me that lag played in significant role in Artosis' series. Have you interviewed him? Were you actually controlling the keyboard and mouse?

Lag, in a measurable way, affects how long it takes between you input a command and when that command takes place. If you tell a gateway to warp in a unit, it's going to warp-in a unit, just a few seconds later. If you neglect to tell a gateway to do that, it won't do it. Nothing to do with lag.
HolyArrow
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
United States7116 Posts
May 05 2011 04:26 GMT
#1304
On May 05 2011 13:22 slyboogie wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 05 2011 13:11 HolyArrow wrote:
On May 05 2011 13:08 Executor1 wrote:
I am glad they did address the lag issue on SOTG i agree that the TSL sentiment that there wasnt any lag in korea vs EU was pretty annoying. That was the one time where i actually agreed with idra last night.


It is annoying. So many people clearly have no idea how much lag affects performance - not just actual micro, but also morale, confidence, and concentration. I see so many fallacious counterpoints to try to "disprove" lag, such as, "Oh, but *player in Korea* played so well, I don't see how there could be lag", which doesn't disprove lag at all - it only goes to make the player in Korea look really good.

It makes my head hurt, so I'm glad they addressed it on SOTG (oh, and anyone arguing with me seems to be conveniently ignoring that fact - the fact that several high-profile pros explicitly came out and said that the lag is a big factor, IdrA going as far as saying that it's a huge handicap and he doesn't play in international tournaments from Korea just because of that).


Okay. Let's just say that lag plays a huge role - I should still point out that Artosis has yet to take a game in NASL after 8 games. How much of this is lag? Obviously, you aren't him so you can't give us an exact quantification but please, put a number on it. 60%? 80%? What is Artosis's true skill level? How much can't we see?

What I'm saying is, yes, lag affects him. We've heard you. But you can't excuse everything, can you? We all saw MC blow away Thorzain's Ghosts with half a dozen Feedbacks in 1 second during TSL 3. We saw Ace take 3 sets out of 3, without dropping a game. Lag matters, I'm 100% certain. But why can't you acknowledge a skill gap?


Actually, in another post, I did acknowledge the skillgap.

Something I need to clarify is that I'm not trying to argue that Artosis should have won, or that he's better than his opponents. I'm simply trying to argue for more understanding regarding lag, due to how many "Oh, Artosis sucks, this is completely inexcusable, he's playing like a Plat player" comments I'm seeing here. That's the ONLY point I'm trying to make right now.
nvs.
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Canada3609 Posts
May 05 2011 04:28 GMT
#1305
Well if people want to argue that he plays like a Masters level player...

They'd be right.
AndAgain
Profile Joined November 2010
United States2621 Posts
May 05 2011 04:28 GMT
#1306
If only Artosis had been able to get ahead at any point, he'd get so much further ahead. It's the initial aheadness that's the stumbling block for him.
All your teeth should fall out and hair should grow in their place!
Uhh Negative
Profile Joined May 2010
United States1090 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-05-05 04:31:05
May 05 2011 04:29 GMT
#1307
On May 05 2011 13:26 HolyArrow wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 05 2011 13:22 slyboogie wrote:
On May 05 2011 13:11 HolyArrow wrote:
On May 05 2011 13:08 Executor1 wrote:
I am glad they did address the lag issue on SOTG i agree that the TSL sentiment that there wasnt any lag in korea vs EU was pretty annoying. That was the one time where i actually agreed with idra last night.


It is annoying. So many people clearly have no idea how much lag affects performance - not just actual micro, but also morale, confidence, and concentration. I see so many fallacious counterpoints to try to "disprove" lag, such as, "Oh, but *player in Korea* played so well, I don't see how there could be lag", which doesn't disprove lag at all - it only goes to make the player in Korea look really good.

It makes my head hurt, so I'm glad they addressed it on SOTG (oh, and anyone arguing with me seems to be conveniently ignoring that fact - the fact that several high-profile pros explicitly came out and said that the lag is a big factor, IdrA going as far as saying that it's a huge handicap and he doesn't play in international tournaments from Korea just because of that).


Okay. Let's just say that lag plays a huge role - I should still point out that Artosis has yet to take a game in NASL after 8 games. How much of this is lag? Obviously, you aren't him so you can't give us an exact quantification but please, put a number on it. 60%? 80%? What is Artosis's true skill level? How much can't we see?

What I'm saying is, yes, lag affects him. We've heard you. But you can't excuse everything, can you? We all saw MC blow away Thorzain's Ghosts with half a dozen Feedbacks in 1 second during TSL 3. We saw Ace take 3 sets out of 3, without dropping a game. Lag matters, I'm 100% certain. But why can't you acknowledge a skill gap?


Actually, in another post, I did acknowledge the skillgap.

Something I need to clarify is that I'm not trying to argue that Artosis should have won, or that he's better than his opponents. I'm simply trying to argue for more understanding regarding lag, due to how many "Oh, Artosis sucks, this is completely inexcusable, he's playing like a Plat player" comments I'm seeing here. That's the ONLY point I'm trying to make right now.

He is obviously capable of far more than he showed us tonight. I just don't think lag really would've made a big difference in how he played. It's okay to have a bad night. Any respectable player isn't going to solely blame basic mistakes on lag.

People saying he's garbage, etc, are just uninformed.
L3g3nd_
Profile Joined July 2010
New Zealand10461 Posts
May 05 2011 04:31 GMT
#1308
out of the 5 players who i really wanted to win (it wasnt just favourites, they are players i follow) 5 lost.

Moon TLO Grubby KiWi and Artosis.
https://twitter.com/#!/IrisAnother
HolyArrow
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
United States7116 Posts
May 05 2011 04:31 GMT
#1309
On May 05 2011 13:26 Uhh Negative wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 05 2011 13:25 HolyArrow wrote:
On May 05 2011 13:21 Uhh Negative wrote:
On May 05 2011 13:18 HolyArrow wrote:
On May 05 2011 13:14 Uhh Negative wrote:
On May 05 2011 13:11 HolyArrow wrote:
On May 05 2011 13:08 Executor1 wrote:
I am glad they did address the lag issue on SOTG i agree that the TSL sentiment that there wasnt any lag in korea vs EU was pretty annoying. That was the one time where i actually agreed with idra last night.


It is annoying. So many people clearly have no idea how much lag affects performance - not just actual micro, but also morale, confidence, and concentration. I see so many fallacious counterpoints to try to "disprove" lag, such as, "Oh, but *player in Korea* played so well, I don't see how there could be lag", which doesn't disprove lag at all - it only goes to make the player in Korea look really good.

It makes my head hurt, so I'm glad they addressed it on SOTG (oh, and anyone arguing with me seems to be conveniently ignoring that fact - the fact that several high-profile pros explicitly came out and said that the lag is a big factor, IdrA going as far as saying that it's a huge handicap and he doesn't play in international tournaments from Korea just because of that).

You are overplaying it, plain and simple. I don't care how crisp Artosis' connection is, Fenix is simply a better player, along with every other player Artosis has played so far. That's not to say Artosis is a bad player, he's just playing really, really good players. The result may have been closer, but there's a lot of room for it to be closer.

Maybe we should also take into consideration whether a player also woke up on the wrong side of the bed and how that affects their morale, confidence, and concentration? Or maybe we should look at the medications they are taking and see what the side effects are? There's a line you have to draw at giving players excuses.


Sure, there is a line. You seem to be implying that "lag" as an excuse lies beyond that line, which is simply ludicrous. Lag is a very measurable, provable, real thing, unlike "woke up on the wrong side of bed" and such. And having performance other than micro being affected by lag is a natural logical leap to make.

Don't strawman me by mentioning that Fenix is a better player, because I'm not saying that he isn't. I completely agree with you that the result may have been closer if there wasn't lag, and I agree that Fenix probably would have won anyway. That's not the issue here. The issue is seeing so many people going "Oh, he doesn't deserve to be here, he's a terrible player" without looking at the big picture or listening to reason.

Implying lag affected his performance in such a significant way as we saw, is ludicrous. There is just no way you can know that. Sure, it can affect someone in that way, but there a BILLION things that can affect someone's performance.


How is there no way to know if lag (something measurable, real, and handicapping according to IdrA and Tyler last night) affected performance significantly? You're trying to take something completely measurable and detectable and saying that there's no way for us to know how much it affects play. That's ridiculous. I can't believe I even have to argue this, after people on SotG clarified that it is a significant factor.

Alright, please prove to me that lag played in significant role in Artosis' series. Have you interviewed him? Were you actually controlling the keyboard and mouse?


You're trying to make yourself look credible by asking me unfair questions. I have no need to give such evidence - the evidence is all out there already without needing to be specific to Artosis.

1. Firsthand accounts and testimonies of lag being a severe handicap (said by IdrA and agreed upon by Tyler on SotG)

2. Measurable numbers that indicate latency which don't even need player testimonials to be used as evidence

To make an analogy, let's say there was a badminton match between two players, and one player had a pretty severely sprained ankle. He plays badly, and I insist that a sprained ankle is a big handicap. You're essentially telling me that we don't know for sure whether or not the sprained ankle was a big handicap without asking the player directly, even though everyone knows a sprained ankle hinders movement, causes pain that cuts into concentration, and any other pro player would say that it's a big deal. You see the absurdity? A firsthand account from Artosis is unneeded.
Uhh Negative
Profile Joined May 2010
United States1090 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-05-05 04:35:01
May 05 2011 04:33 GMT
#1310
On May 05 2011 13:31 HolyArrow wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 05 2011 13:26 Uhh Negative wrote:
On May 05 2011 13:25 HolyArrow wrote:
On May 05 2011 13:21 Uhh Negative wrote:
On May 05 2011 13:18 HolyArrow wrote:
On May 05 2011 13:14 Uhh Negative wrote:
On May 05 2011 13:11 HolyArrow wrote:
On May 05 2011 13:08 Executor1 wrote:
I am glad they did address the lag issue on SOTG i agree that the TSL sentiment that there wasnt any lag in korea vs EU was pretty annoying. That was the one time where i actually agreed with idra last night.


It is annoying. So many people clearly have no idea how much lag affects performance - not just actual micro, but also morale, confidence, and concentration. I see so many fallacious counterpoints to try to "disprove" lag, such as, "Oh, but *player in Korea* played so well, I don't see how there could be lag", which doesn't disprove lag at all - it only goes to make the player in Korea look really good.

It makes my head hurt, so I'm glad they addressed it on SOTG (oh, and anyone arguing with me seems to be conveniently ignoring that fact - the fact that several high-profile pros explicitly came out and said that the lag is a big factor, IdrA going as far as saying that it's a huge handicap and he doesn't play in international tournaments from Korea just because of that).

You are overplaying it, plain and simple. I don't care how crisp Artosis' connection is, Fenix is simply a better player, along with every other player Artosis has played so far. That's not to say Artosis is a bad player, he's just playing really, really good players. The result may have been closer, but there's a lot of room for it to be closer.

Maybe we should also take into consideration whether a player also woke up on the wrong side of the bed and how that affects their morale, confidence, and concentration? Or maybe we should look at the medications they are taking and see what the side effects are? There's a line you have to draw at giving players excuses.


Sure, there is a line. You seem to be implying that "lag" as an excuse lies beyond that line, which is simply ludicrous. Lag is a very measurable, provable, real thing, unlike "woke up on the wrong side of bed" and such. And having performance other than micro being affected by lag is a natural logical leap to make.

Don't strawman me by mentioning that Fenix is a better player, because I'm not saying that he isn't. I completely agree with you that the result may have been closer if there wasn't lag, and I agree that Fenix probably would have won anyway. That's not the issue here. The issue is seeing so many people going "Oh, he doesn't deserve to be here, he's a terrible player" without looking at the big picture or listening to reason.

Implying lag affected his performance in such a significant way as we saw, is ludicrous. There is just no way you can know that. Sure, it can affect someone in that way, but there a BILLION things that can affect someone's performance.


How is there no way to know if lag (something measurable, real, and handicapping according to IdrA and Tyler last night) affected performance significantly? You're trying to take something completely measurable and detectable and saying that there's no way for us to know how much it affects play. That's ridiculous. I can't believe I even have to argue this, after people on SotG clarified that it is a significant factor.

Alright, please prove to me that lag played in significant role in Artosis' series. Have you interviewed him? Were you actually controlling the keyboard and mouse?


You're trying to make yourself look credible by asking me unfair questions. I have no need to give such evidence - the evidence is all out there already without needing to be specific to Artosis.

1. Firsthand accounts and testimonies of lag being a severe handicap (said by IdrA and agreed upon by Tyler on SotG)

2. Measurable numbers that indicate latency which don't even need player testimonials to be used as evidence

To make an analogy, let's say there was a badminton match between two players, and one player had a pretty severely sprained ankle. He plays badly, and I insist that a sprained ankle is a big handicap. You're essentially telling me that we don't know for sure whether or not the sprained ankle was a big handicap without asking the player directly, even though everyone knows a sprained ankle hinders movement, causes pain that cuts into concentration, and any other pro player would say that it's a big deal. You see the absurdity? A firsthand account from Artosis is unneeded.

That's not a good analogy. A strained ankle is obviously going to affect every part of that person's ability to play badminton. It's fundamental. Latency affects the time between input and what actually happens. You cant still outplay an opponent and make good decisions with lag. It would play a far bigger role in close games which neither of these were. You don't see other players playing with lag making such huge mistakes.

I could guarantee you Artosis would not blame his result on lag.
HolyArrow
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
United States7116 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-05-05 04:40:28
May 05 2011 04:38 GMT
#1311
On May 05 2011 13:33 Uhh Negative wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 05 2011 13:31 HolyArrow wrote:
On May 05 2011 13:26 Uhh Negative wrote:
On May 05 2011 13:25 HolyArrow wrote:
On May 05 2011 13:21 Uhh Negative wrote:
On May 05 2011 13:18 HolyArrow wrote:
On May 05 2011 13:14 Uhh Negative wrote:
On May 05 2011 13:11 HolyArrow wrote:
On May 05 2011 13:08 Executor1 wrote:
I am glad they did address the lag issue on SOTG i agree that the TSL sentiment that there wasnt any lag in korea vs EU was pretty annoying. That was the one time where i actually agreed with idra last night.


It is annoying. So many people clearly have no idea how much lag affects performance - not just actual micro, but also morale, confidence, and concentration. I see so many fallacious counterpoints to try to "disprove" lag, such as, "Oh, but *player in Korea* played so well, I don't see how there could be lag", which doesn't disprove lag at all - it only goes to make the player in Korea look really good.

It makes my head hurt, so I'm glad they addressed it on SOTG (oh, and anyone arguing with me seems to be conveniently ignoring that fact - the fact that several high-profile pros explicitly came out and said that the lag is a big factor, IdrA going as far as saying that it's a huge handicap and he doesn't play in international tournaments from Korea just because of that).

You are overplaying it, plain and simple. I don't care how crisp Artosis' connection is, Fenix is simply a better player, along with every other player Artosis has played so far. That's not to say Artosis is a bad player, he's just playing really, really good players. The result may have been closer, but there's a lot of room for it to be closer.

Maybe we should also take into consideration whether a player also woke up on the wrong side of the bed and how that affects their morale, confidence, and concentration? Or maybe we should look at the medications they are taking and see what the side effects are? There's a line you have to draw at giving players excuses.


Sure, there is a line. You seem to be implying that "lag" as an excuse lies beyond that line, which is simply ludicrous. Lag is a very measurable, provable, real thing, unlike "woke up on the wrong side of bed" and such. And having performance other than micro being affected by lag is a natural logical leap to make.

Don't strawman me by mentioning that Fenix is a better player, because I'm not saying that he isn't. I completely agree with you that the result may have been closer if there wasn't lag, and I agree that Fenix probably would have won anyway. That's not the issue here. The issue is seeing so many people going "Oh, he doesn't deserve to be here, he's a terrible player" without looking at the big picture or listening to reason.

Implying lag affected his performance in such a significant way as we saw, is ludicrous. There is just no way you can know that. Sure, it can affect someone in that way, but there a BILLION things that can affect someone's performance.


How is there no way to know if lag (something measurable, real, and handicapping according to IdrA and Tyler last night) affected performance significantly? You're trying to take something completely measurable and detectable and saying that there's no way for us to know how much it affects play. That's ridiculous. I can't believe I even have to argue this, after people on SotG clarified that it is a significant factor.

Alright, please prove to me that lag played in significant role in Artosis' series. Have you interviewed him? Were you actually controlling the keyboard and mouse?


You're trying to make yourself look credible by asking me unfair questions. I have no need to give such evidence - the evidence is all out there already without needing to be specific to Artosis.

1. Firsthand accounts and testimonies of lag being a severe handicap (said by IdrA and agreed upon by Tyler on SotG)

2. Measurable numbers that indicate latency which don't even need player testimonials to be used as evidence

To make an analogy, let's say there was a badminton match between two players, and one player had a pretty severely sprained ankle. He plays badly, and I insist that a sprained ankle is a big handicap. You're essentially telling me that we don't know for sure whether or not the sprained ankle was a big handicap without asking the player directly, even though everyone knows a sprained ankle hinders movement, causes pain that cuts into concentration, and any other pro player would say that it's a big deal. You see the absurdity? A firsthand account from Artosis is unneeded.

That's not a good analogy. A strained ankle is obviously going to affect every part of that person's ability to play badminton. It's fundamental. Latency affects the time between input and what actually happens. It would play a far bigger role in close games which neither of these were. You don't see other players playing with lag making such huge mistakes.


Affecting a player's ability to control units in a game that's all about controlling units seems pretty fundamental to me, and like I said, it's also demoralizing and cuts into concentration (obviously, the onus is upon the player to deal with not getting "psyched out" by lag, but it would annoy any good player who knows that he's playing below his capabilities because of some handicap). If I were to play devil's advocate to my badminton analogy, I could argue that a pro should have to just ignore the pain from the sprained ankle and play well regardless (mind over matter, right?), but that's just not how people are. People lose concentration and get frustrated. (obviously Artosis would not blame his results on lag because that makes him look like he's making excuses, but it doesn't mean that it didn't make a significant difference. For example, just because Genius didn't blame his loss to qxc to lag doesn't mean that lag affected his forcefields and psi storms throughout the game, which was huge)

Anyway if you'd like to discuss this more feel free to PM me, but I need to resume my studying for my finals >_<
Lightwish01
Profile Joined April 2011
65 Posts
May 05 2011 04:39 GMT
#1312
Artosis is simply outplayed, and outclassed. I am a huge Artosis fan, but even I am not blinded by fan-boyism. He just isnt at the skill level to be playing in the NASL yet.

As for those of you saying its lag....HAH! Did you see the mistakes he made in the 3 games? Pulling his probe line into 6 marines when he had 8 stalkers? Not chrono boosting? He cracked in game 1 COMPLETELY. He just needs a lot more practice time. Remember these other guys have been playing since launch everyday nonstop. Artosis has been playing since 2 weeks before NASL.

Artosis needs more practice, a lot more.

All that being said he is an amazing commentator and great coach.
Uhh Negative
Profile Joined May 2010
United States1090 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-05-05 04:42:36
May 05 2011 04:40 GMT
#1313
Lag doesn't make you macro bad. End of story.
IdrA
Profile Blog Joined July 2004
United States11541 Posts
May 05 2011 04:41 GMT
#1314
On May 05 2011 13:33 Uhh Negative wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 05 2011 13:31 HolyArrow wrote:
On May 05 2011 13:26 Uhh Negative wrote:
On May 05 2011 13:25 HolyArrow wrote:
On May 05 2011 13:21 Uhh Negative wrote:
On May 05 2011 13:18 HolyArrow wrote:
On May 05 2011 13:14 Uhh Negative wrote:
On May 05 2011 13:11 HolyArrow wrote:
On May 05 2011 13:08 Executor1 wrote:
I am glad they did address the lag issue on SOTG i agree that the TSL sentiment that there wasnt any lag in korea vs EU was pretty annoying. That was the one time where i actually agreed with idra last night.


It is annoying. So many people clearly have no idea how much lag affects performance - not just actual micro, but also morale, confidence, and concentration. I see so many fallacious counterpoints to try to "disprove" lag, such as, "Oh, but *player in Korea* played so well, I don't see how there could be lag", which doesn't disprove lag at all - it only goes to make the player in Korea look really good.

It makes my head hurt, so I'm glad they addressed it on SOTG (oh, and anyone arguing with me seems to be conveniently ignoring that fact - the fact that several high-profile pros explicitly came out and said that the lag is a big factor, IdrA going as far as saying that it's a huge handicap and he doesn't play in international tournaments from Korea just because of that).

You are overplaying it, plain and simple. I don't care how crisp Artosis' connection is, Fenix is simply a better player, along with every other player Artosis has played so far. That's not to say Artosis is a bad player, he's just playing really, really good players. The result may have been closer, but there's a lot of room for it to be closer.

Maybe we should also take into consideration whether a player also woke up on the wrong side of the bed and how that affects their morale, confidence, and concentration? Or maybe we should look at the medications they are taking and see what the side effects are? There's a line you have to draw at giving players excuses.


Sure, there is a line. You seem to be implying that "lag" as an excuse lies beyond that line, which is simply ludicrous. Lag is a very measurable, provable, real thing, unlike "woke up on the wrong side of bed" and such. And having performance other than micro being affected by lag is a natural logical leap to make.

Don't strawman me by mentioning that Fenix is a better player, because I'm not saying that he isn't. I completely agree with you that the result may have been closer if there wasn't lag, and I agree that Fenix probably would have won anyway. That's not the issue here. The issue is seeing so many people going "Oh, he doesn't deserve to be here, he's a terrible player" without looking at the big picture or listening to reason.

Implying lag affected his performance in such a significant way as we saw, is ludicrous. There is just no way you can know that. Sure, it can affect someone in that way, but there a BILLION things that can affect someone's performance.


How is there no way to know if lag (something measurable, real, and handicapping according to IdrA and Tyler last night) affected performance significantly? You're trying to take something completely measurable and detectable and saying that there's no way for us to know how much it affects play. That's ridiculous. I can't believe I even have to argue this, after people on SotG clarified that it is a significant factor.

Alright, please prove to me that lag played in significant role in Artosis' series. Have you interviewed him? Were you actually controlling the keyboard and mouse?


You're trying to make yourself look credible by asking me unfair questions. I have no need to give such evidence - the evidence is all out there already without needing to be specific to Artosis.

1. Firsthand accounts and testimonies of lag being a severe handicap (said by IdrA and agreed upon by Tyler on SotG)

2. Measurable numbers that indicate latency which don't even need player testimonials to be used as evidence

To make an analogy, let's say there was a badminton match between two players, and one player had a pretty severely sprained ankle. He plays badly, and I insist that a sprained ankle is a big handicap. You're essentially telling me that we don't know for sure whether or not the sprained ankle was a big handicap without asking the player directly, even though everyone knows a sprained ankle hinders movement, causes pain that cuts into concentration, and any other pro player would say that it's a big deal. You see the absurdity? A firsthand account from Artosis is unneeded.

That's not a good analogy. A strained ankle is obviously going to affect every part of that person's ability to play badminton. It's fundamental. Latency affects the time between input and what actually happens. You cant still outplay an opponent and make good decisions with lag. It would play a far bigger role in close games which neither of these were. You don't see other players playing with lag making such huge mistakes.

I could guarantee you Artosis would not blame his result on lag.

dont talk about what you dont understand, playing in latency throws everything off. its a massive distraction and it forces you to play different styles. especially for protoss, you literally cannot depend on forcefielding correctly and half of protoss' game is built around forcefield. not to mention the actual direct handicap of not being able to micro as well as your opponent.

results of players playing cross server with korea are absolutely meaningless
http://www.splitreason.com/product/1152 release the gracken tshirt now available
Uhh Negative
Profile Joined May 2010
United States1090 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-05-05 04:47:31
May 05 2011 04:44 GMT
#1315
On May 05 2011 13:41 IdrA wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 05 2011 13:33 Uhh Negative wrote:
On May 05 2011 13:31 HolyArrow wrote:
On May 05 2011 13:26 Uhh Negative wrote:
On May 05 2011 13:25 HolyArrow wrote:
On May 05 2011 13:21 Uhh Negative wrote:
On May 05 2011 13:18 HolyArrow wrote:
On May 05 2011 13:14 Uhh Negative wrote:
On May 05 2011 13:11 HolyArrow wrote:
On May 05 2011 13:08 Executor1 wrote:
I am glad they did address the lag issue on SOTG i agree that the TSL sentiment that there wasnt any lag in korea vs EU was pretty annoying. That was the one time where i actually agreed with idra last night.


It is annoying. So many people clearly have no idea how much lag affects performance - not just actual micro, but also morale, confidence, and concentration. I see so many fallacious counterpoints to try to "disprove" lag, such as, "Oh, but *player in Korea* played so well, I don't see how there could be lag", which doesn't disprove lag at all - it only goes to make the player in Korea look really good.

It makes my head hurt, so I'm glad they addressed it on SOTG (oh, and anyone arguing with me seems to be conveniently ignoring that fact - the fact that several high-profile pros explicitly came out and said that the lag is a big factor, IdrA going as far as saying that it's a huge handicap and he doesn't play in international tournaments from Korea just because of that).

You are overplaying it, plain and simple. I don't care how crisp Artosis' connection is, Fenix is simply a better player, along with every other player Artosis has played so far. That's not to say Artosis is a bad player, he's just playing really, really good players. The result may have been closer, but there's a lot of room for it to be closer.

Maybe we should also take into consideration whether a player also woke up on the wrong side of the bed and how that affects their morale, confidence, and concentration? Or maybe we should look at the medications they are taking and see what the side effects are? There's a line you have to draw at giving players excuses.


Sure, there is a line. You seem to be implying that "lag" as an excuse lies beyond that line, which is simply ludicrous. Lag is a very measurable, provable, real thing, unlike "woke up on the wrong side of bed" and such. And having performance other than micro being affected by lag is a natural logical leap to make.

Don't strawman me by mentioning that Fenix is a better player, because I'm not saying that he isn't. I completely agree with you that the result may have been closer if there wasn't lag, and I agree that Fenix probably would have won anyway. That's not the issue here. The issue is seeing so many people going "Oh, he doesn't deserve to be here, he's a terrible player" without looking at the big picture or listening to reason.

Implying lag affected his performance in such a significant way as we saw, is ludicrous. There is just no way you can know that. Sure, it can affect someone in that way, but there a BILLION things that can affect someone's performance.


How is there no way to know if lag (something measurable, real, and handicapping according to IdrA and Tyler last night) affected performance significantly? You're trying to take something completely measurable and detectable and saying that there's no way for us to know how much it affects play. That's ridiculous. I can't believe I even have to argue this, after people on SotG clarified that it is a significant factor.

Alright, please prove to me that lag played in significant role in Artosis' series. Have you interviewed him? Were you actually controlling the keyboard and mouse?


You're trying to make yourself look credible by asking me unfair questions. I have no need to give such evidence - the evidence is all out there already without needing to be specific to Artosis.

1. Firsthand accounts and testimonies of lag being a severe handicap (said by IdrA and agreed upon by Tyler on SotG)

2. Measurable numbers that indicate latency which don't even need player testimonials to be used as evidence

To make an analogy, let's say there was a badminton match between two players, and one player had a pretty severely sprained ankle. He plays badly, and I insist that a sprained ankle is a big handicap. You're essentially telling me that we don't know for sure whether or not the sprained ankle was a big handicap without asking the player directly, even though everyone knows a sprained ankle hinders movement, causes pain that cuts into concentration, and any other pro player would say that it's a big deal. You see the absurdity? A firsthand account from Artosis is unneeded.

That's not a good analogy. A strained ankle is obviously going to affect every part of that person's ability to play badminton. It's fundamental. Latency affects the time between input and what actually happens. You cant still outplay an opponent and make good decisions with lag. It would play a far bigger role in close games which neither of these were. You don't see other players playing with lag making such huge mistakes.

I could guarantee you Artosis would not blame his result on lag.

dont talk about what you dont understand, playing in latency throws everything off. its a massive distraction and it forces you to play different styles. especially for protoss, you literally cannot depend on forcefielding correctly and half of protoss' game is built around forcefield. not to mention the actual direct handicap of not being able to micro as well as your opponent.

results of players playing cross server with korea are absolutely meaningless

I understand it significantly affects micro to the point where you basically have no control and that the games are pretty much meaningless. I heard you say that last night on SOTG and I agree. I just don't see how it would make you macro badly, that's all I'm saying. It's nothing against Artosis. Hell, I'd love for Artosis to win.

Kind of off-topic, but I support your argument with Day9 about the fundamental game problems. Nice to see someone not backing down to Day's kind of dodgy answers.
On_Slaught
Profile Joined August 2008
United States12190 Posts
May 05 2011 04:45 GMT
#1316
You can say the results are meaningless, but that doesn't change the bad decisions we have seen made in probably every game he has played in the NASL.

At best the lag affected his concentration and put him on tilt/flustered him. At worst it just exacerbated his bad play (which sadly isn't great on his stream either).
Irave
Profile Joined October 2010
United States9965 Posts
May 05 2011 04:46 GMT
#1317
I don't see why people are needing to be so critical of Artosis's play. He was a fan favorite and got voted into the NASL. Not by tournament results, not by being a part of a big named team. He is an undeniable fan favorite, he doesn't have the same amount of free time as the other competitors to practice this game.

People want to see him win, because he is such a valued person of this community. I will continue to support him even after sloppy games, because he has the eye of the tiger!
Skithiryx
Profile Joined August 2010
Australia648 Posts
May 05 2011 04:47 GMT
#1318
On May 05 2011 13:44 Uhh Negative wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 05 2011 13:41 IdrA wrote:
On May 05 2011 13:33 Uhh Negative wrote:
On May 05 2011 13:31 HolyArrow wrote:
On May 05 2011 13:26 Uhh Negative wrote:
On May 05 2011 13:25 HolyArrow wrote:
On May 05 2011 13:21 Uhh Negative wrote:
On May 05 2011 13:18 HolyArrow wrote:
On May 05 2011 13:14 Uhh Negative wrote:
On May 05 2011 13:11 HolyArrow wrote:
[quote]

It is annoying. So many people clearly have no idea how much lag affects performance - not just actual micro, but also morale, confidence, and concentration. I see so many fallacious counterpoints to try to "disprove" lag, such as, "Oh, but *player in Korea* played so well, I don't see how there could be lag", which doesn't disprove lag at all - it only goes to make the player in Korea look really good.

It makes my head hurt, so I'm glad they addressed it on SOTG (oh, and anyone arguing with me seems to be conveniently ignoring that fact - the fact that several high-profile pros explicitly came out and said that the lag is a big factor, IdrA going as far as saying that it's a huge handicap and he doesn't play in international tournaments from Korea just because of that).

You are overplaying it, plain and simple. I don't care how crisp Artosis' connection is, Fenix is simply a better player, along with every other player Artosis has played so far. That's not to say Artosis is a bad player, he's just playing really, really good players. The result may have been closer, but there's a lot of room for it to be closer.

Maybe we should also take into consideration whether a player also woke up on the wrong side of the bed and how that affects their morale, confidence, and concentration? Or maybe we should look at the medications they are taking and see what the side effects are? There's a line you have to draw at giving players excuses.


Sure, there is a line. You seem to be implying that "lag" as an excuse lies beyond that line, which is simply ludicrous. Lag is a very measurable, provable, real thing, unlike "woke up on the wrong side of bed" and such. And having performance other than micro being affected by lag is a natural logical leap to make.

Don't strawman me by mentioning that Fenix is a better player, because I'm not saying that he isn't. I completely agree with you that the result may have been closer if there wasn't lag, and I agree that Fenix probably would have won anyway. That's not the issue here. The issue is seeing so many people going "Oh, he doesn't deserve to be here, he's a terrible player" without looking at the big picture or listening to reason.

Implying lag affected his performance in such a significant way as we saw, is ludicrous. There is just no way you can know that. Sure, it can affect someone in that way, but there a BILLION things that can affect someone's performance.


How is there no way to know if lag (something measurable, real, and handicapping according to IdrA and Tyler last night) affected performance significantly? You're trying to take something completely measurable and detectable and saying that there's no way for us to know how much it affects play. That's ridiculous. I can't believe I even have to argue this, after people on SotG clarified that it is a significant factor.

Alright, please prove to me that lag played in significant role in Artosis' series. Have you interviewed him? Were you actually controlling the keyboard and mouse?


You're trying to make yourself look credible by asking me unfair questions. I have no need to give such evidence - the evidence is all out there already without needing to be specific to Artosis.

1. Firsthand accounts and testimonies of lag being a severe handicap (said by IdrA and agreed upon by Tyler on SotG)

2. Measurable numbers that indicate latency which don't even need player testimonials to be used as evidence

To make an analogy, let's say there was a badminton match between two players, and one player had a pretty severely sprained ankle. He plays badly, and I insist that a sprained ankle is a big handicap. You're essentially telling me that we don't know for sure whether or not the sprained ankle was a big handicap without asking the player directly, even though everyone knows a sprained ankle hinders movement, causes pain that cuts into concentration, and any other pro player would say that it's a big deal. You see the absurdity? A firsthand account from Artosis is unneeded.

That's not a good analogy. A strained ankle is obviously going to affect every part of that person's ability to play badminton. It's fundamental. Latency affects the time between input and what actually happens. You cant still outplay an opponent and make good decisions with lag. It would play a far bigger role in close games which neither of these were. You don't see other players playing with lag making such huge mistakes.

I could guarantee you Artosis would not blame his result on lag.

dont talk about what you dont understand, playing in latency throws everything off. its a massive distraction and it forces you to play different styles. especially for protoss, you literally cannot depend on forcefielding correctly and half of protoss' game is built around forcefield. not to mention the actual direct handicap of not being able to micro as well as your opponent.

results of players playing cross server with korea are absolutely meaningless

I understand it significantly affects micro to the point where you basically have no control and that the games are pretty much meaningless. I heard you say that last night on SOTG and I agree. I just don't see how it would make you macro badly, that's all I'm saying. It's nothing against Artosis.

Kind of off-topic, but I support your argument with Day9. Nice to see someone not backing down to Day's kind of dodgy answers.



Actually, you'd be surprised how much it can affect your ability to macro, I know from laddering v practicing in single player v ai how much it throws me going from 250ms down to none, I often find myself slipping on macro when i go back to ladder because things just don't respond the way you want and slips are alot easier to make.
HolyArrow
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
United States7116 Posts
May 05 2011 04:47 GMT
#1319
On May 05 2011 13:41 IdrA wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 05 2011 13:33 Uhh Negative wrote:
On May 05 2011 13:31 HolyArrow wrote:
On May 05 2011 13:26 Uhh Negative wrote:
On May 05 2011 13:25 HolyArrow wrote:
On May 05 2011 13:21 Uhh Negative wrote:
On May 05 2011 13:18 HolyArrow wrote:
On May 05 2011 13:14 Uhh Negative wrote:
On May 05 2011 13:11 HolyArrow wrote:
On May 05 2011 13:08 Executor1 wrote:
I am glad they did address the lag issue on SOTG i agree that the TSL sentiment that there wasnt any lag in korea vs EU was pretty annoying. That was the one time where i actually agreed with idra last night.


It is annoying. So many people clearly have no idea how much lag affects performance - not just actual micro, but also morale, confidence, and concentration. I see so many fallacious counterpoints to try to "disprove" lag, such as, "Oh, but *player in Korea* played so well, I don't see how there could be lag", which doesn't disprove lag at all - it only goes to make the player in Korea look really good.

It makes my head hurt, so I'm glad they addressed it on SOTG (oh, and anyone arguing with me seems to be conveniently ignoring that fact - the fact that several high-profile pros explicitly came out and said that the lag is a big factor, IdrA going as far as saying that it's a huge handicap and he doesn't play in international tournaments from Korea just because of that).

You are overplaying it, plain and simple. I don't care how crisp Artosis' connection is, Fenix is simply a better player, along with every other player Artosis has played so far. That's not to say Artosis is a bad player, he's just playing really, really good players. The result may have been closer, but there's a lot of room for it to be closer.

Maybe we should also take into consideration whether a player also woke up on the wrong side of the bed and how that affects their morale, confidence, and concentration? Or maybe we should look at the medications they are taking and see what the side effects are? There's a line you have to draw at giving players excuses.


Sure, there is a line. You seem to be implying that "lag" as an excuse lies beyond that line, which is simply ludicrous. Lag is a very measurable, provable, real thing, unlike "woke up on the wrong side of bed" and such. And having performance other than micro being affected by lag is a natural logical leap to make.

Don't strawman me by mentioning that Fenix is a better player, because I'm not saying that he isn't. I completely agree with you that the result may have been closer if there wasn't lag, and I agree that Fenix probably would have won anyway. That's not the issue here. The issue is seeing so many people going "Oh, he doesn't deserve to be here, he's a terrible player" without looking at the big picture or listening to reason.

Implying lag affected his performance in such a significant way as we saw, is ludicrous. There is just no way you can know that. Sure, it can affect someone in that way, but there a BILLION things that can affect someone's performance.


How is there no way to know if lag (something measurable, real, and handicapping according to IdrA and Tyler last night) affected performance significantly? You're trying to take something completely measurable and detectable and saying that there's no way for us to know how much it affects play. That's ridiculous. I can't believe I even have to argue this, after people on SotG clarified that it is a significant factor.

Alright, please prove to me that lag played in significant role in Artosis' series. Have you interviewed him? Were you actually controlling the keyboard and mouse?


You're trying to make yourself look credible by asking me unfair questions. I have no need to give such evidence - the evidence is all out there already without needing to be specific to Artosis.

1. Firsthand accounts and testimonies of lag being a severe handicap (said by IdrA and agreed upon by Tyler on SotG)

2. Measurable numbers that indicate latency which don't even need player testimonials to be used as evidence

To make an analogy, let's say there was a badminton match between two players, and one player had a pretty severely sprained ankle. He plays badly, and I insist that a sprained ankle is a big handicap. You're essentially telling me that we don't know for sure whether or not the sprained ankle was a big handicap without asking the player directly, even though everyone knows a sprained ankle hinders movement, causes pain that cuts into concentration, and any other pro player would say that it's a big deal. You see the absurdity? A firsthand account from Artosis is unneeded.

That's not a good analogy. A strained ankle is obviously going to affect every part of that person's ability to play badminton. It's fundamental. Latency affects the time between input and what actually happens. You cant still outplay an opponent and make good decisions with lag. It would play a far bigger role in close games which neither of these were. You don't see other players playing with lag making such huge mistakes.

I could guarantee you Artosis would not blame his result on lag.

dont talk about what you dont understand, playing in latency throws everything off. its a massive distraction and it forces you to play different styles. especially for protoss, you literally cannot depend on forcefielding correctly and half of protoss' game is built around forcefield. not to mention the actual direct handicap of not being able to micro as well as your opponent.

results of players playing cross server with korea are absolutely meaningless


Thanks - exactly what I've been trying to say the entire time. Even if people don't believe me, they'll hopefully be more inclined to listen to you.
Uhh Negative
Profile Joined May 2010
United States1090 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-05-05 04:51:25
May 05 2011 04:50 GMT
#1320
On May 05 2011 13:47 Skithiryx wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 05 2011 13:44 Uhh Negative wrote:
On May 05 2011 13:41 IdrA wrote:
On May 05 2011 13:33 Uhh Negative wrote:
On May 05 2011 13:31 HolyArrow wrote:
On May 05 2011 13:26 Uhh Negative wrote:
On May 05 2011 13:25 HolyArrow wrote:
On May 05 2011 13:21 Uhh Negative wrote:
On May 05 2011 13:18 HolyArrow wrote:
On May 05 2011 13:14 Uhh Negative wrote:
[quote]
You are overplaying it, plain and simple. I don't care how crisp Artosis' connection is, Fenix is simply a better player, along with every other player Artosis has played so far. That's not to say Artosis is a bad player, he's just playing really, really good players. The result may have been closer, but there's a lot of room for it to be closer.

Maybe we should also take into consideration whether a player also woke up on the wrong side of the bed and how that affects their morale, confidence, and concentration? Or maybe we should look at the medications they are taking and see what the side effects are? There's a line you have to draw at giving players excuses.


Sure, there is a line. You seem to be implying that "lag" as an excuse lies beyond that line, which is simply ludicrous. Lag is a very measurable, provable, real thing, unlike "woke up on the wrong side of bed" and such. And having performance other than micro being affected by lag is a natural logical leap to make.

Don't strawman me by mentioning that Fenix is a better player, because I'm not saying that he isn't. I completely agree with you that the result may have been closer if there wasn't lag, and I agree that Fenix probably would have won anyway. That's not the issue here. The issue is seeing so many people going "Oh, he doesn't deserve to be here, he's a terrible player" without looking at the big picture or listening to reason.

Implying lag affected his performance in such a significant way as we saw, is ludicrous. There is just no way you can know that. Sure, it can affect someone in that way, but there a BILLION things that can affect someone's performance.


How is there no way to know if lag (something measurable, real, and handicapping according to IdrA and Tyler last night) affected performance significantly? You're trying to take something completely measurable and detectable and saying that there's no way for us to know how much it affects play. That's ridiculous. I can't believe I even have to argue this, after people on SotG clarified that it is a significant factor.

Alright, please prove to me that lag played in significant role in Artosis' series. Have you interviewed him? Were you actually controlling the keyboard and mouse?


You're trying to make yourself look credible by asking me unfair questions. I have no need to give such evidence - the evidence is all out there already without needing to be specific to Artosis.

1. Firsthand accounts and testimonies of lag being a severe handicap (said by IdrA and agreed upon by Tyler on SotG)

2. Measurable numbers that indicate latency which don't even need player testimonials to be used as evidence

To make an analogy, let's say there was a badminton match between two players, and one player had a pretty severely sprained ankle. He plays badly, and I insist that a sprained ankle is a big handicap. You're essentially telling me that we don't know for sure whether or not the sprained ankle was a big handicap without asking the player directly, even though everyone knows a sprained ankle hinders movement, causes pain that cuts into concentration, and any other pro player would say that it's a big deal. You see the absurdity? A firsthand account from Artosis is unneeded.

That's not a good analogy. A strained ankle is obviously going to affect every part of that person's ability to play badminton. It's fundamental. Latency affects the time between input and what actually happens. You cant still outplay an opponent and make good decisions with lag. It would play a far bigger role in close games which neither of these were. You don't see other players playing with lag making such huge mistakes.

I could guarantee you Artosis would not blame his result on lag.

dont talk about what you dont understand, playing in latency throws everything off. its a massive distraction and it forces you to play different styles. especially for protoss, you literally cannot depend on forcefielding correctly and half of protoss' game is built around forcefield. not to mention the actual direct handicap of not being able to micro as well as your opponent.

results of players playing cross server with korea are absolutely meaningless

I understand it significantly affects micro to the point where you basically have no control and that the games are pretty much meaningless. I heard you say that last night on SOTG and I agree. I just don't see how it would make you macro badly, that's all I'm saying. It's nothing against Artosis.

Kind of off-topic, but I support your argument with Day9. Nice to see someone not backing down to Day's kind of dodgy answers.



Actually, you'd be surprised how much it can affect your ability to macro, I know from laddering v practicing in single player v ai how much it throws me going from 250ms down to none, I often find myself slipping on macro when i go back to ladder because things just don't respond the way you want and slips are alot easier to make.

When I played SC2 for the few months I played, I was playing on a tablet, that's like the definition of laggy play, lol, getting like 10-15 fps. The lag itself didn't cause me to forget injects, make units, etc, it just made it a little more difficult to do.

Oh well, no big deal. I feel like this is a pointless argument as it doesn't matter either way.
Prev 1 64 65 66 67 68 75 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 2h 5m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft: Brood War
BeSt 200
910 93
Mong 53
Shinee 46
Bale 32
Killer 26
Aegong 25
Mind 22
ZergMaN 16
soO 1
League of Legends
JimRising 480
Counter-Strike
ceh9479
shoxiejesuss312
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King219
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor1707
Other Games
summit1g8765
olofmeister976
Happy351
crisheroes179
Sick161
Livibee102
ArmadaUGS102
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick537
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream260
[ Show 14 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Berry_CruncH80
• LUISG 19
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2319
League of Legends
• Rush1761
• Stunt468
• Jankos124
Upcoming Events
The PondCast
2h 5m
OSC
5h 5m
Stellar Fest
5h 5m
OSC
16h 5m
Stellar Fest
1d 5h
CranKy Ducklings
2 days
Online Event
2 days
FEL
2 days
AI Arena Tournament
2 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
2 days
[ Show More ]
Sparkling Tuna Cup
3 days
INu's Battles
3 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
Replay Cast
3 days
WardiTV Weekly
4 days
Replay Cast
4 days
INu's Battles
5 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.