• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 23:14
CEST 05:14
KST 12:14
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)26Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder BW General Discussion a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing Where can I find Flash replays that work? Official StarCraft website teases new content ahead of BlizzCon?
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread All you football fans (soccer)! Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7727 users

TeSPA Texas Open - $1500 Prize Pool [4/16 - 4/23] - Page 8

Forum Index > StarCraft 2 Tournaments
Post a Reply
Prev 1 6 7 8 9 10 12 Next All
uNtrue_
Profile Joined May 2010
United States150 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-04-21 05:17:00
April 21 2011 04:53 GMT
#141
On April 21 2011 13:43 binski wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 21 2011 13:42 Stoids wrote:
The brackets are filled with good players. It was almost certain that good players were going to have to eliminate good players early. The issue is really the single elimination part of it. This not only exacerbates the complaints about the top side of the bracket. You also run into the high possibility of cheesing and making some games a coin flip.

I understand that there are strict time constraints. You guys have organized a tournament that I could never dream of putting together. There are just a few concerns from players and spectators a like. This does not mean we are not going to show up, but this a forum where we will inherently express our opinions and concerns.


I agree completely Stoids


There is no doubt this is true. I don't think you guys realize that I am playing in this tournament as well. I get the same feelings you guys have about the tourney.

Coin flip games were things of the past now that we have new maps. I feel that players have evolved by now to have created their own strong openings. I don't see cheesing to be the culprit of a 0-2.

Opinions and concerns are always welcome, but short, negative comments hurt the thread.
karasu
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
United States29 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-04-21 05:11:52
April 21 2011 05:11 GMT
#142
I agree with flux here
ReAson75
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
United States130 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-04-21 05:18:36
April 21 2011 05:14 GMT
#143
On April 21 2011 13:42 Stoids wrote:
The brackets are filled with good players. It was almost certain that good players were going to have to eliminate good players early. The issue is really the single elimination part of it. This simply exacerbates the complaints about the top side of the bracket. You also run into the high possibility of cheesing and making some games a coin flip.

I understand that there are strict time constraints. You guys have organized a tournament that I could never dream of putting together. There are just a few concerns from players and spectators alike. This does not mean we are not going to show up, but this a forum where we will inherently express our opinions and concerns.

The bracket definitely is filled with an extremely high caliber of players. While it means that better players may be knocked out earlier, the good news is that it also means the overall the competition will be much higher and better games should result. I do apologize that we aren't able to offer a double elimination tournament. Hopefully, I can shed some insight on the decision-making process.

While we would all love to do a double-elimination style, a few facts have to be faced. Currently, we are very new to the tournament-planning process. Certainly we must move in small steps to ensure that we achieve maximum success without risking a good event and the time and money of over one-hundred paying participants.

Last year, we began with a single elimination tournament. The tournament ended up taking the entire day. To have a double elimination tournament with the infrastructure we have in place now, we would have to extend the length of the tournament which means the day-schedule would get even longer -or- the tournament would have to be spread out over multiple days. Extending the tournament over multiple days would require more time committment from players and overnight hotel room accomodations. Currently, our primary participants are college students, many of whom might not be able to afford this option. So, for our second tournament, we were hesitant of making step.

To ease concerns about the single-elimination style last year, we decided to implement a double-elimination style for the online play, which would transcend these obstacles. Unfortunately, we didn't fully consider that the top players would be pre-seeded and not gain any benefit from this double elimination style. Luckily, we learned our lesson though and will use what we've learned to improve next semester's tournament.

As we increase our infrastructure, we will definitely look into have a double elimination tournament in the future. Unfortunately this semester, the logistical concerns were too large to overcome with the limited funding and financial resources we have.

I'd like to thank everyone for their input though! We are listening and appreciate constructive criticism.


On April 21 2011 06:16 tkRage wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 21 2011 05:54 ReAson75 wrote:
On April 21 2011 04:36 Sixto wrote:
Hey, i was wondering, are the quarterfinals, semifinals, and final going to be a bo3 as well? seems kinda short for a single elimination tournament


The current plan is for the grand finals to be a BO5. We did this primarily because the all-day back-to-back play schedule was very tiring on the players last year. We'll discuss exctending the BO5 to the RO4 as well though tonight and post if the plans change.

On April 21 2011 04:45 tkRage wrote:
Who is the other student from University of North Texas??


The UNT student is tkmekhami.710 (Lawrence V).

Spectator Updates:
Location/Parking: Spectating is going to happen in RLM 4.102 on the University of Texas campus. I'll post exact instructions on how to get there and where to park later this evening.
Prizes/Raffles: I'm pleased to announce that we will have 35 games, 30+ T-shirts, a graphics card, a motherboard, gaming gear, and lots more prizes thanks to NVIDIA, TTesports, and Microsoft! Spectating is going to be a ton of fun - I hope everyone can make it out!

I am Lawrence Vanderpool, who is the other one? doesn't it say there were two?


Oops! You are correct - only one player from North Texas is attending. I'll make that fix. :D
Axeltoss
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
United States283 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-04-21 05:37:28
April 21 2011 05:33 GMT
#144
Looks like the bracket keeps getting changed up. Care to explain? I am in a different spot then I was when it was first released. I'm not mad or anything, just curious.

EDIT:

And, for the record, I would personally prefer double elim. I'm driving a decent distance to the tournament on easter weekend, and would at least like a second chance after I get knocked out first round. Again not trying to sound angry, just some feedback.
@Axeltoss
Megaliskuu
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
United States5123 Posts
April 21 2011 05:36 GMT
#145
I don`t appreciate your trolling "axletoss".
|BW>Everything|Add me on star2 KR server TheMuTaL.675 for practice games :)|NEX clan| https://www.dotabuff.com/players/183104694
Axeltoss
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
United States283 Posts
April 21 2011 05:38 GMT
#146
On April 21 2011 14:36 Megaliskuu wrote:
I don`t appreciate your trolling "axletoss".


I can assure you I'm not. I was originally playing "Outplayed.922" when the bracket first came out. Now I'm against "Maestro.388" in a completely different part of the bracket.
@Axeltoss
binski
Profile Joined December 2010
United States225 Posts
April 21 2011 06:11 GMT
#147
On April 21 2011 14:36 Megaliskuu wrote:
I don`t appreciate your trolling "axletoss".


lolololololololol hiii
uNtrue_
Profile Joined May 2010
United States150 Posts
April 21 2011 06:15 GMT
#148
On April 21 2011 14:38 Axeltoss wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 21 2011 14:36 Megaliskuu wrote:
I don`t appreciate your trolling "axletoss".


I can assure you I'm not. I was originally playing "Outplayed.922" when the bracket first came out. Now I'm against "Maestro.388" in a completely different part of the bracket.


no changes made. im done with this.
Sixto
Profile Joined September 2010
Mexico37 Posts
April 21 2011 06:24 GMT
#149
On April 21 2011 14:33 Axeltoss wrote:
Looks like the bracket keeps getting changed up. Care to explain? I am in a different spot then I was when it was first released. I'm not mad or anything, just curious.

EDIT:

And, for the record, I would personally prefer double elim. I'm driving a decent distance to the tournament on easter weekend, and would at least like a second chance after I get knocked out first round. Again not trying to sound angry, just some feedback.


They were balancing the brackets to have the better players spread out throughout the bracket more, which is why they moved down binski, which unfortunately took your place, which made the top, and bottom bracket leveled, but middle part sort've easier in comparison, then they moved binski to the middle part of the bracket, which made the brackets imo pretty balanced out, but then for some reason untrue's stress flipped with your comment and changed the bracket to how it was initially intended to be.


Sixto
Profile Joined September 2010
Mexico37 Posts
April 21 2011 06:30 GMT
#150
On April 21 2011 15:15 uNtrue_ wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 21 2011 14:38 Axeltoss wrote:
On April 21 2011 14:36 Megaliskuu wrote:
I don`t appreciate your trolling "axletoss".


I can assure you I'm not. I was originally playing "Outplayed.922" when the bracket first came out. Now I'm against "Maestro.388" in a completely different part of the bracket.


no changes made. im done with this.


don't get overstressed for these naive questions, i'm sure i'm not the only one that appreciates the amount of work tespa admins put into organizing this tournament for everyone out there without receiving any benefits other then promoting esports. On a side note, i thought ur changes on the bracket were quite good untrue.
uNtrue_
Profile Joined May 2010
United States150 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-04-21 06:35:16
April 21 2011 06:34 GMT
#151
On April 21 2011 15:24 Sixto wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 21 2011 14:33 Axeltoss wrote:
Looks like the bracket keeps getting changed up. Care to explain? I am in a different spot then I was when it was first released. I'm not mad or anything, just curious.

EDIT:

And, for the record, I would personally prefer double elim. I'm driving a decent distance to the tournament on easter weekend, and would at least like a second chance after I get knocked out first round. Again not trying to sound angry, just some feedback.


They were balancing the brackets to have the better players spread out throughout the bracket more, which is why they moved down binski, which unfortunately took your place, which made the top, and bottom bracket leveled, but middle part sort've easier in comparison, then they moved binski to the middle part of the bracket, which made the brackets imo pretty balanced out, but then for some reason untrue's stress flipped with your comment and changed the bracket to how it was initially intended to be.





To this post and your next one, thanks. B-t-w, my stress wasn't the cause of the bracket revert. The officers thought it was the best thing to do to seed the brackets back to the way it was, but now we are talking it over. Update soon to come.
Jacobs Ladder
Profile Joined May 2010
United States1705 Posts
April 21 2011 06:44 GMT
#152
On double Elim:

We would love to do double Elim, however, time makes it impossible. Last tourny was 64 players single Elim and it ran from ~9am-8pm. Because of the sheer number of games required to do double elim we have no choice but to do single elim.
coL.TriMaster
Profile Joined May 2010
United States32 Posts
April 21 2011 07:25 GMT
#153
Just a couple of things I want to get out there; 1st in regards to a double elim, just as a note of reference, MLG had a double elim and was 1 round more then tespa(ro128) and is a 3 day event. Gridimetrics another double elim tourney hosted in Austin back in Jan was a ro32 event and started from 5pm, and the finals didn't start until 2-3am. Hosting a double elim tournament is such a huge time commitment that I don't see most people going willing to commit to one day.
Also about the complaints about the brackets, it might seem like its stacked but the organizers did announce how seeding was being done and if they followed through with it then we should be satisfied with it. The way seeding works is that it favors the people who are awarded with the points, and any outcome of bracket stacking is coincidental and could be even worse if it was just a randomized bracket like most tournaments with no background. It's just as possible for a game that would be finals worthy end up being played in the 1st round, and TESPA made attempts to give us the best chances to allow the better players to play later in the tournament by taking ladder points into consideration and seeding that along with the previous event placing. I can't see how else they could balance out the bracket without being biased if they don't have any scientific way to measure a players skill.
ExO_
Profile Blog Joined September 2009
United States2316 Posts
April 21 2011 07:35 GMT
#154
On April 21 2011 16:25 Tri wrote:
Imba Imba, Protoss, Forcefield Colossi QQ

Megaliskuu
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
United States5123 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-04-21 08:30:34
April 21 2011 08:30 GMT
#155
Exo you forgot to mention in base proxy gate, Tmaster knows all about that.
|BW>Everything|Add me on star2 KR server TheMuTaL.675 for practice games :)|NEX clan| https://www.dotabuff.com/players/183104694
coL.TriMaster
Profile Joined May 2010
United States32 Posts
April 21 2011 13:43 GMT
#156
Exo run, megalisk is building zerglings you're worst enemy.
Hyst3ria
Profile Joined December 2007
United States167 Posts
April 21 2011 14:00 GMT
#157
On April 21 2011 15:34 uNtrue_ wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 21 2011 15:24 Sixto wrote:
On April 21 2011 14:33 Axeltoss wrote:
Looks like the bracket keeps getting changed up. Care to explain? I am in a different spot then I was when it was first released. I'm not mad or anything, just curious.

EDIT:

And, for the record, I would personally prefer double elim. I'm driving a decent distance to the tournament on easter weekend, and would at least like a second chance after I get knocked out first round. Again not trying to sound angry, just some feedback.


They were balancing the brackets to have the better players spread out throughout the bracket more, which is why they moved down binski, which unfortunately took your place, which made the top, and bottom bracket leveled, but middle part sort've easier in comparison, then they moved binski to the middle part of the bracket, which made the brackets imo pretty balanced out, but then for some reason untrue's stress flipped with your comment and changed the bracket to how it was initially intended to be.





To this post and your next one, thanks. B-t-w, my stress wasn't the cause of the bracket revert. The officers thought it was the best thing to do to seed the brackets back to the way it was, but now we are talking it over. Update soon to come.


Thought you were done with this.
uNtrue_
Profile Joined May 2010
United States150 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-04-21 18:23:34
April 21 2011 18:17 GMT
#158
On April 21 2011 23:00 Hyst3ria wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 21 2011 15:34 uNtrue_ wrote:
On April 21 2011 15:24 Sixto wrote:
On April 21 2011 14:33 Axeltoss wrote:
Looks like the bracket keeps getting changed up. Care to explain? I am in a different spot then I was when it was first released. I'm not mad or anything, just curious.

EDIT:

And, for the record, I would personally prefer double elim. I'm driving a decent distance to the tournament on easter weekend, and would at least like a second chance after I get knocked out first round. Again not trying to sound angry, just some feedback.


They were balancing the brackets to have the better players spread out throughout the bracket more, which is why they moved down binski, which unfortunately took your place, which made the top, and bottom bracket leveled, but middle part sort've easier in comparison, then they moved binski to the middle part of the bracket, which made the brackets imo pretty balanced out, but then for some reason untrue's stress flipped with your comment and changed the bracket to how it was initially intended to be.





To this post and your next one, thanks. B-t-w, my stress wasn't the cause of the bracket revert. The officers thought it was the best thing to do to seed the brackets back to the way it was, but now we are talking it over. Update soon to come.


Thought you were done with this.


I was joking????

And I'm an officer and I have to do player contests and I have to send an email to all of you and I have to assign your seats. I can only wish I was done with this.

Edit: (decided to add more). And I have to practice for this saturday and I have 3 interviews next week including one requiring travel and I have two tests next week and I have a project due next week and I have to go to an awards ceremony tonight and I have to meet with the officers tomorrow and I have to help plan our CSL banquet.
Silent12ill
Profile Blog Joined November 2009
United States358 Posts
April 21 2011 18:51 GMT
#159
Thank you again tespa for running the tournament <3
KingOfKangTheHee
Profile Joined April 2011
39 Posts
April 21 2011 22:55 GMT
#160
Things here have gone sour real fast. Please be considerate of each others feelings towards the bracket settings int he tournament. I tend to favor the underdogs in the finals, and I am feeling delighted to know that there might be a David vs Goliath finals. We cant predict what will happen in the tournament; who knows, maybe the underdogs will step up and show good games to their fans. Ladder isn't easy, so I agree with the way the seeding is set up. There is no other realistic way of giving seeds, as not all of the top guys are "known".

Either way, I believe Jamble did a wonderful job in setting up the tournament, and huge props should go to TESPA, as their organization has done wonders for the Texas community. With that being said, I will now go watch television while on the treadmill listening to State of the game.. Audios~
Prev 1 6 7 8 9 10 12 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 6h 46m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
RuFF_SC2 216
Nina 120
SpeCial 21
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 14364
Rain 2070
Dewaltoss 56
NaDa 36
Bale 28
Noble 6
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm184
Counter-Strike
taco 683
Super Smash Bros
hungrybox1573
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor1596
WinterStarcraft633
Other Games
summit1g8725
Doublelift2853
JimRising 662
PiGStarcraft330
ArmadaUGS213
C9.Mang0175
Maynarde150
ViBE103
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick873
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream141
[ Show 13 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 104
• practicex 8
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Azhi_Dahaki204
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Lourlo671
• Stunt117
Upcoming Events
The PondCast
6h 46m
OSC
9h 46m
Stellar Fest
9h 46m
OSC
20h 46m
Stellar Fest
1d 9h
CranKy Ducklings
2 days
Online Event
2 days
FEL
2 days
AI Arena Tournament
2 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
2 days
[ Show More ]
Sparkling Tuna Cup
3 days
INu's Battles
3 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
Replay Cast
3 days
WardiTV Weekly
4 days
Replay Cast
4 days
INu's Battles
5 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.