• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 05:42
CEST 11:42
KST 18:42
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach3[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon103Weekly Cups (Aug 30-Sep 7): herO thrives amid growing schism10
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon How do you feel about the StarCraft shooter announcement at BlizzCon 2026? Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16) Blizzard Classic Cup @ BlizzCon 2026 - $100k prize pool
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Master Swan Open (Global Bronze-Master 2) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder [ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach PLAYzone Challenge - open offline tour in Prague an AI researcher's take on the ladder bot BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 1
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread All you football fans (soccer)!
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 13249 users

I'm playing again after a 5 year break as random

Forum Index > StarCraft 2 Strategy
Post a Reply
Monochromatic
Profile Blog Joined March 2012
United States1000 Posts
Last Edited: 2019-10-31 19:32:33
October 31 2019 19:31 GMT
#1
Hi there!

I'm playing for the first time since WoL, and I chose random for fun. I would love to know up to date build orders, as my Zerg and Protoss builds are completely awful and are costing me games.

My old WoL 1-1-1 cloaked banshee harass into +1 timing attack is still working quite nicely, but is there a better Terran opening available?

Basically, could someone share basic build orders for each race in LotV? As well as outline some common openers against each race that I'll have to defend against?
MC: "Guys I need your support! iam poor make me nerd baller" __________________________________________RIP Violet
brickrd
Profile Blog Joined March 2014
United States4894 Posts
October 31 2019 21:36 GMT
#2
every zerg matchup: 16 hatch 18 gas 17 pool, ling speed, 3rd base as fast as possible
zvt: 2 queens, 4 lings vs reaper
zvp: safety roach warren, cut drones if you scout a 2 base allin
zvz: safety baneling nest into roaches

pvz and pvt: gateway expand, nexus before cyber core (wall the natural in pvz)

pvp: 15 gate, 16 gas, 17 second gas, 19 second gate, 20 cyber core, 21 pylon (wall your main base ramp with a gap that can be filled by pylon to block adept openers), then you can open double adept, double stalker or stalker sentry according to your preference

tvp: mine drop is standard, but if you're in mid leagues you can do whatever you want as long as your execution is good. ravens and tank pushes are good
tvz: reaper expand into reactor hellions and third base
tvt: not sure but reaper hellion, cyclone, raven seems like the safe opener
TL+ Member
Archile
Profile Joined June 2011
United States403 Posts
October 31 2019 22:08 GMT
#3
This is advice I give to everyone who is interested in picking the game back up, but is usually a bit against the grain--

Explore the new meta you're in yourself a bit; it gives a more solid understanding of what your opponents will be doing and what you need to react to (and is more fun, but that's a bit subjective)


If you try your own solutions, you will understand the weaknesses and strengths of what you're doing, and how to scout to compensate.

Naturally you'll start to pick up on patterns of how to get to certain points in the game effectively, what to be afraid of, how to scout your opponents, and you'll be able to make your own builds, or adopt pro builds better. Being handed a build doesn't give you an innate understanding of the function of each part, where you would move your units, or how to pivot when you almost always will get derailed somehow by your opponent.

"Give a man a fish, and you'll feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, and you'll feed him for a lifetime"
Just a bad player trying to be a little less bad
brickrd
Profile Blog Joined March 2014
United States4894 Posts
Last Edited: 2019-10-31 22:50:09
October 31 2019 22:49 GMT
#4
On November 01 2019 07:08 Archile wrote:
This is advice I give to everyone who is interested in picking the game back up, but is usually a bit against the grain--

Explore the new meta you're in yourself a bit; it gives a more solid understanding of what your opponents will be doing and what you need to react to (and is more fun, but that's a bit subjective)


If you try your own solutions, you will understand the weaknesses and strengths of what you're doing, and how to scout to compensate.

Naturally you'll start to pick up on patterns of how to get to certain points in the game effectively, what to be afraid of, how to scout your opponents, and you'll be able to make your own builds, or adopt pro builds better. Being handed a build doesn't give you an innate understanding of the function of each part, where you would move your units, or how to pivot when you almost always will get derailed somehow by your opponent.

"Give a man a fish, and you'll feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, and you'll feed him for a lifetime"

sure but there are also accepted openers and timings that are generally the most efficient way to get into a stable game. also he is asking for help so clearly he doesn't feel comfortable just "feeling the game out" and your advice isn't really advice at all, you're just telling him to do it himself. this is a help forum
TL+ Member
DanceSC
Profile Blog Joined March 2008
United States751 Posts
Last Edited: 2019-11-02 20:51:17
November 02 2019 20:48 GMT
#5
I miss all the posts that use to exist in the starcraft strategy section, and the liquipedia builds all seem out of date. But I'm coming back to starcraft after a long break as well, and I'm getting cheesed left and right, and I was wondering is there a thread to go to, as a random player, that shows how to deal with all early game forms of aggression / cheeses? like the first 5 minutes as each matchup?

Nvm I'm blind: https://tl.net/forum/sc2-strategy/521453-tl-strategy-spawning-tool-build-thread
Dance.943 || "I think he's just going to lose. There's only so many ways you can lose. And he's going to make some kind of units. And I'm going to attack him, and then all his stuff is going to die. That's about the best prediction that I can make" - NonY
Kertorak
Profile Joined November 2019
125 Posts
Last Edited: 2019-11-04 00:46:02
November 04 2019 00:45 GMT
#6
No offence, but I don't get it. Of course the WOTL BOs are... not fitting. Lotv is a complete new game. Why don't you play custom games, vs ai, and stuff, just trying to get into Lotv? From second one you should see that your "old" builds are not for this.
Generally I advice not to go straight into BO-ing when getting into lotv. Just try out the new speed of the game yourself a bit, quickly noticing that when your enemy has 3 base already.

There exist tons and tons of openings, simply because of the new speed of Lotv, from a worker scout/proxy at second one, to three quick bases, you're into action very quick in LotV.

I think the others gave some good hints.
I wish I had quality over quantity | "The point of Sc<x> is that your skill a constant WIP - which provides that unique joy of the game - not to post which rank you are in a this moment"
Sweetfrost
Profile Joined October 2010
Sweden213 Posts
November 08 2019 02:30 GMT
#7
I also came back from a break that lasted from WoL to this year. I watched WinterStarcraft's guides. He plays Random at GM/High Masters on NA and has simple build order guides for all races. I reached Diamond in a couple of weeks thanks to those videos and I strongly recommend them.

Terran
Protoss
Zerg

These guides are from 2018; I know that he has done 2019 versions of Protoss and Zerg but these are very straighforward and short guides. I suggest you practice these.

Remember, it's more about mechanics and macro then it's about micro and fancy builds. Just stay to these until you reach Diamond and it will be all gucci. Good luck, have fun!
Before practice, we ate Kimchi soup made my MMA. His cooking has made me so depressed that I think we may lose GSTL." -Miya
HelloSon
Profile Joined April 2010
United States456 Posts
November 12 2019 18:57 GMT
#8
I'm just started playing again after not playing since LOTV launched in 2016. I used to be high Diamond/low Masters Zerg and I am now mid-Diamond after 10 games.

Right now, I'm winning my games based on my mechanics but I have no idea what to build, especially late game. What's the most common compositions in the ZvX matchups?
yo
EvolutioN1
Profile Joined July 2019
2 Posts
November 13 2019 11:32 GMT
#9
On November 13 2019 03:57 HelloSon wrote:
I'm just started playing again after not playing since LOTV launched in 2016. I used to be high Diamond/low Masters Zerg and I am now mid-Diamond after 10 games.

Right now, I'm winning my games based on my mechanics but I have no idea what to build, especially late game. What's the most common compositions in the ZvX matchups?


ZvZ: early game is ling/bane, into roach/ravager or muta/ling/bane, into late game hydra/lurker/viper
ZvT: lots of queens in early game. vs bio it's usually lots of ling/bane with hydras or mutas into a fast hive, vs mech compositions tend to vary but you can do alright against hellion/cyclone with hydra/ling/bane as well.
ZvP: not many units early game unless you need roaches to defend a 2-base attack. mid game is roach/ravager/bane into mutas, or hydra/ling/bane (+ lurkers sometimes), both eventually teching into brood lords.
elKa-ThE-FeArEd
Profile Joined October 2010
Sweden177 Posts
November 14 2019 09:06 GMT
#10
On November 13 2019 20:32 EvolutioN1 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 13 2019 03:57 HelloSon wrote:
I'm just started playing again after not playing since LOTV launched in 2016. I used to be high Diamond/low Masters Zerg and I am now mid-Diamond after 10 games.

Right now, I'm winning my games based on my mechanics but I have no idea what to build, especially late game. What's the most common compositions in the ZvX matchups?


ZvZ: early game is ling/bane, into roach/ravager or muta/ling/bane, into late game hydra/lurker/viper
ZvT: lots of queens in early game. vs bio it's usually lots of ling/bane with hydras or mutas into a fast hive, vs mech compositions tend to vary but you can do alright against hellion/cyclone with hydra/ling/bane as well.
ZvP: not many units early game unless you need roaches to defend a 2-base attack. mid game is roach/ravager/bane into mutas, or hydra/ling/bane (+ lurkers sometimes), both eventually teching into brood lords.


exactly what i needed, thx!
tried out a few games yesterday, havent played since WoL 2011

So many new units lol
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 18m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
mouzHeroMarine 193
ProTech1
StarCraft: Brood War
Bisu 1289
Larva 861
Horang2 683
BeSt 610
Hyuk 441
soO 400
ZerO 219
EffOrt 192
Zeus 156
Rush 76
[ Show more ]
Stork 64
Killer 62
Shinee 58
Light 42
Mind 36
Mong 25
Bale 23
Terrorterran 22
PianO 20
ToSsGirL 19
Sacsri 17
HiyA 10
Dota 2
XaKoH 668
XcaliburYe340
Counter-Strike
byalli888
Other Games
singsing1402
olofmeister1164
ceh9681
crisheroes223
Livibee175
Mew2King64
ArmadaUGS48
ZerO(Twitch)13
[ Show 13 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Berry_CruncH341
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2280
• WagamamaTV27
League of Legends
• Jankos1948
• Stunt375
Upcoming Events
Afreeca Starleague
18m
Soma vs Jaedong
WardiTV Weekly
1h 18m
Monday Night Weeklies
6h 18m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
1d
Afreeca Starleague
1d
Leta vs Soulkey
PiGosaur Cup
1d 14h
Kung Fu Cup
2 days
The PondCast
3 days
Replay Cast
3 days
CranKy Ducklings
5 days
[ Show More ]
Online Event
5 days
FEL
5 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
5 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.