• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 23:10
CEST 05:10
KST 12:10
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach0[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon101Weekly Cups (Aug 30-Sep 7): herO thrives amid growing schism10
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the StarCraft shooter announcement at BlizzCon 2026? Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16) Blizzard Classic Cup @ BlizzCon 2026 - $100k prize pool The Death of Cheese: From a Professional Cheeser
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Master Swan Open (Global Bronze-Master 2) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder an AI researcher's take on the ladder bot BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ [ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach StarCraft Human 'N' AI League
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 1
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread All you football fans (soccer)!
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 10317 users

A guide to ZvP by LYGF Lucoda. - Page 2

Forum Index > StarCraft 2 Strategy
Post a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 Next All
Lobotomist
Profile Joined May 2010
United States1541 Posts
March 01 2014 00:27 GMT
#21
Are there any situations where you'd take infestors over vipers? Also, does it favor you to trade aggressively (trying to deny 5th) or defensively? Usually roach/hydra/viper comps are done as an aggressive timing, bit you mentioned playing defensively. Also, have you considered single evo vs double evo? If you're dumping 300+ gas into the second evo, it's definitely slowing your switch down.

Will watch the replays later. Thanks for the guide!
Teching to hive too quickly isn't just a risk: it's an ultrarisk
DjayEl
Profile Joined August 2010
France252 Posts
March 01 2014 01:00 GMT
#22
3) This is a very uncommon style. I've never played vs it. I'd be happy to analyse a replay though if you have one!


Here it is. Sorry for the rage at the end, dont pay attention please, but I was very upset ...

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/45931329/ZvP Zealot Archon Immo all in.SC2Replay

I had no upgrades, but as I said before I don't know when do I start them when I see no 3rd. I really did not expected him to attack this late, and everytime I said to myself 'ok hes not attacking yet, lets do something' I didnt get the ups cause they make forever to complete and I was certain he was going to move out any second.
Lucoda
Profile Blog Joined February 2012
Ireland183 Posts
March 01 2014 11:01 GMT
#23
On March 01 2014 09:27 Lobotomist wrote:
Are there any situations where you'd take infestors over vipers? Also, does it favor you to trade aggressively (trying to deny 5th) or defensively? Usually roach/hydra/viper comps are done as an aggressive timing, bit you mentioned playing defensively. Also, have you considered single evo vs double evo? If you're dumping 300+ gas into the second evo, it's definitely slowing your switch down.

Will watch the replays later. Thanks for the guide!


Yes, there are. For example, if they go for a more voidray based army I would rather 4-8 Infestors with my army before adding vipers (if even adding vipers) . Fungal really does well vs Voids!

I think it's very situational. If you're about to hit an upgrade timing, just go and attack and see if you can find a good engagement. Don't force engagements. Only engage if you feel you can trade well. You want to be playing defensive of sorts, like you don't want to keep trading armies over and over. The aim is to have a solid army with vipers and to pull costly units into your ball without losing too much. Like I said, if you feel you can engage and win on just Roach Hydra, just go for it. The main aim is for muta switch off the superior econ!

Having a second evo chamber doesn't effect the muta switch at all really. You're not going muta off 1k gas, you're going muta off 4k/5k gas. Having a second evo going won't effect the switch AND will make you roach viper army more efficient to make the muta switch more effective!
https://twitter.com/LucodaSC2
Lucoda
Profile Blog Joined February 2012
Ireland183 Posts
March 01 2014 11:18 GMT
#24
On March 01 2014 10:00 DjayEl wrote:
Show nested quote +
3) This is a very uncommon style. I've never played vs it. I'd be happy to analyse a replay though if you have one!


Here it is. Sorry for the rage at the end, dont pay attention please, but I was very upset ...

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/45931329/ZvP Zealot Archon Immo all in.SC2Replay

I had no upgrades, but as I said before I don't know when do I start them when I see no 3rd. I really did not expected him to attack this late, and everytime I said to myself 'ok hes not attacking yet, lets do something' I didnt get the ups cause they make forever to complete and I was certain he was going to move out any second.



Your third base was incredibly late. Should be started at 4:00 vs FFE! You took 4 gases at 7:00 instead of 2 at 6:00. Follow the build order. It is not very efficient to do 4 at 7:00 for this style!

Okay so at 12:00 you have double the supply of the opponent. In this situation where it's kinda late and he's not taking a third base, just go and get aggressive. Don't let him get what he wants to get. Put the pressure on! You would have won at 12:00 if you attacked.

Poor engagement at your third. You went on top of his army before attacking which meant he got sooo many hits off before you started engaging. You were also quite clumped which meant the archons did a ton of work. What you should have done is send about a quarter of your army towards the destructable rocks to the south of the ramp he came up. Then engage from different places. This would reduce the surface area the zealots got on you as well as making the archon splash do worse. The army from the south could also pick off archons by force firing them.

Again, in the second engagement you go right ontop of the army before engaging. This is doing nothing but bad for you. Engage at the max range your army fires. You are losing so much to just going point blank range.

Something I've started doing is getting one evo chamber at 7:00 so I can get +1 and +2 missiles. It helps vs 2 base allins more than I thought and you can hit better timings in the macro game. Maybe try that?

TL;DR: React to what you've scouted by being aggressive and starting upgrades. Seeing so much tech means it's gonna be a very delayed push.

Engage better. Flank the army, split the army, all that good stuff!
https://twitter.com/LucodaSC2
DjayEl
Profile Joined August 2010
France252 Posts
March 01 2014 16:17 GMT
#25
Thank you very much Lucoda, your detailed answer is very much appreciated. I'm gonna work on my weaknesses and hopefully improve my game.
Lucoda
Profile Blog Joined February 2012
Ireland183 Posts
March 01 2014 16:45 GMT
#26
Not a problem man. Feel free to post your replays in here if you're not sure why you lost! If your interested in free coaching, I do twitter competitions every so often so follow me @LYGFLucoda for more info!
https://twitter.com/LucodaSC2
wishr
Profile Joined February 2012
Russian Federation262 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-03-01 20:13:30
March 01 2014 20:13 GMT
#27
Great guide! Thanks for that usefull info!
* Only girls complain about balance! *
DjayEl
Profile Joined August 2010
France252 Posts
March 02 2014 00:00 GMT
#28
On March 02 2014 01:45 LucoxP wrote:
Not a problem man. Feel free to post your replays in here if you're not sure why you lost! If your interested in free coaching, I do twitter competitions every so often so follow me @LYGFLucoda for more info!


I will follow you. Thank you!
Meepman
Profile Joined December 2009
Canada610 Posts
March 02 2014 05:51 GMT
#29
Thank-you, oh Great One.
Lucoda
Profile Blog Joined February 2012
Ireland183 Posts
March 02 2014 22:11 GMT
#30
OP Updated with a replay of me going straight muta/ling vs a robo opening!
https://twitter.com/LucodaSC2
vult
Profile Blog Joined February 2012
United States9400 Posts
March 02 2014 22:55 GMT
#31
Thanks for the guide!
I used to play random, but for you I play very specifically.
Lucoda
Profile Blog Joined February 2012
Ireland183 Posts
March 03 2014 17:02 GMT
#32
You're welcome! Feel free to post a replay of you losing with it if you want some help. Or feel free to post a replay of you #rekting a player to reinforce the guide!
https://twitter.com/LucodaSC2
DjayEl
Profile Joined August 2010
France252 Posts
March 12 2014 03:58 GMT
#33
Hi Lucoda,

I have a couple of questions for you please!


1) I have some trouble vs Protoss who go for a Colossus-based strategy and tech directly into HT's (they make fewer Stalkers I noticed, probably to save up the gas). When I poke at their base with my Roach Hydra Viper maxed army (I hit them at their front at app. 15:00), they feedback my Vipers and I end up losing a lot for nothing, and it is very often game ending.

What they are doing, I can't always scout exactly, sometimes I just don't see the Templars. What shoud I do? Retreat with my Roach Hydra and tech into something else? I'm talking about the first engagement here, where I don't have enough gas to get a sizable muta count. I was thinking about upgrading my spire and get Broodlords ASAP to make use of my army and try to do damage before switching to something else, but I am not sure how good it is.

2) What do you do with your overlords for map control and how do you react to Phoenix? It is useful to send them everywhere as it get you invaluable scouting (notably for proxy pylon locations), but when if P gets Phoenixes he just destroys them all. Do you just send 3 or 4 or them, research speed at some point? Or you just don't care losing them?

Thank you
Lobotomist
Profile Joined May 2010
United States1541 Posts
March 13 2014 18:56 GMT
#34
On March 12 2014 12:58 DjayEl wrote:
2) What do you do with your overlords for map control and how do you react to Phoenix? It is useful to send them everywhere as it get you invaluable scouting (notably for proxy pylon locations), but when if P gets Phoenixes he just destroys them all. Do you just send 3 or 4 or them, research speed at some point? Or you just don't care losing them?

Thank you

In ZvP, with the prevalence of stargate openers, you should only be sending approximately 3 overlords out to the enemy side of the map, with a general idea of where they're going to go before the game begins. Something like this:
1. Starting overlord - goes to enemy main to spot opener, gas, pylon placement. Moves to enemy nat to spot wall/gas/nexus timing
2. 9 overlord - goes to your nat to spot pylon block/cannon rush. Then goes to your 3rd to spot pylon block/cannon rush
3. 15-18 overlord - goes to enemy main airspace to spot tech/gateway count/etc
4. 4th overlord goes to enemy 3rd to spot timing.

This is a rough outline (varies by map/build/etc) but any more and you become too vulnerable to air. I don't think you can rely on overlords to spot proxy pylons without exposing yourself to bad supply blocks, need to use lings instead.
Teching to hive too quickly isn't just a risk: it's an ultrarisk
Lucoda
Profile Blog Joined February 2012
Ireland183 Posts
March 15 2014 00:12 GMT
#35
On March 12 2014 12:58 DjayEl wrote:
Hi Lucoda,

I have a couple of questions for you please!


1) I have some trouble vs Protoss who go for a Colossus-based strategy and tech directly into HT's (they make fewer Stalkers I noticed, probably to save up the gas). When I poke at their base with my Roach Hydra Viper maxed army (I hit them at their front at app. 15:00), they feedback my Vipers and I end up losing a lot for nothing, and it is very often game ending.

What they are doing, I can't always scout exactly, sometimes I just don't see the Templars. What shoud I do? Retreat with my Roach Hydra and tech into something else? I'm talking about the first engagement here, where I don't have enough gas to get a sizable muta count. I was thinking about upgrading my spire and get Broodlords ASAP to make use of my army and try to do damage before switching to something else, but I am not sure how good it is.

Thank you


15:00 is a solid time to be hitting. You get a knack after a while to be able to micro against low counts of HT. Splitting off 4-5 roaches to focus down ones out of position can be game winning.

You gotta remember as well that you don't always want to try and win off the roach hydra viper push. You just want to be applying light pressure to get map dominance so you can start taking bases and making a big bank. Maybe try getting a hit squad of like 10 roaches to attack his nat wall while you push in to his third when they are out of position. Broodlords aren't necesary, especially if you decide to skip SHs. And if the toss skipped a SG, it's alright to go straight into muta. There's a replay of me doing that vs a robo opening.

On March 12 2014 12:58 DjayEl wrote:
2) What do you do with your overlords for map control and how do you react to Phoenix? It is useful to send them everywhere as it get you invaluable scouting (notably for proxy pylon locations), but when if P gets Phoenixes he just destroys them all. Do you just send 3 or 4 or them, research speed at some point? Or you just don't care losing them?


I send one to the opponents natural air space (normally my first overlord) second goes to my natural and then to the air space outside his main base. Then I send the rest to common proxy pylon locations as well as attack paths. If I see pheonix opener I'll probably lose at least 2 overlords because of the two at his base. This isn't a big deal because you can just send them in and get a scout off. However you will want to send all the overlords on the map at proxy locations back to your base if you see pheonixes. Reacting to pheonixes: I get 1-2 spores per mineral line and maybe one between my natural and third.

https://twitter.com/LucodaSC2
DjayEl
Profile Joined August 2010
France252 Posts
March 17 2014 09:25 GMT
#36
Thanks for answers guys!
Lucoda
Profile Blog Joined February 2012
Ireland183 Posts
March 30 2014 10:39 GMT
#37
OP updated with a new replay!
https://twitter.com/LucodaSC2
Lucoda
Profile Blog Joined February 2012
Ireland183 Posts
April 01 2014 16:36 GMT
#38
OP updated with a video guide!
https://twitter.com/LucodaSC2
DjayEl
Profile Joined August 2010
France252 Posts
April 01 2014 16:54 GMT
#39
Awesome, gonna check this ASAP.
DjayEl
Profile Joined August 2010
France252 Posts
April 03 2014 08:39 GMT
#40
Hi Lucoda, I've got some questions for you if you don't mind.

I've great success with your style of play when it comes to standard late game situations, but I must confess I still get some troubles defending most basic 2-base all-ins.

- vs Immortal Sentry : in your video you showcase a game on Yeonsu (same as one of your replays) where you defend this using Roach and Hydra. I see you stick on 5 gases for a moment. I lose a lot to this all-in (regardless of the map), but I go 4 gases roach/ling as I thought it was the "standard" way to defend this and never could get my hydras on time anyway or in ridiculously low numbers. I noticed to save your minerals by not making any zergling and using them on hydras instead, while still getting some roaches, and only add a few lings later when you start floating minerals. Is it a gambit you make or is it the best way to hold this all-in in your experience? Is it map dependant?
I can see the benefit of going hydras in the long run though... Often, my P opponent sees all my ling roach and backs off, takes a 3rd and continue to threaten me with his mass units while I'm stuck on roach/ling and I can't punish him directly, whereas I could do a strong roach hydra push before he gets colossi if I went directly for them. I'm just afraid of the first moments of this push that I would not have enough units.

More generally, I wonder why this all-in is not considered as strong as it was in WoL and not used too often. In WoL it was considered nearly OP, but nothing has changed in HOTS, it only got worse with the MC. SH can't be out on time and Hydra speed does not really matter, so what changed exactly?


- Blink All-in. These, I feel, come in various shapes and forms and at different timings (with DT or not, etc.). I never get enough units against these, at how many drones should I stop to counter the most standard blink timing? Do I have to get hydras ASAP or should I stay on Roach/Ling?

Thank you!
Prev 1 2 3 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Replay Cast
00:00
2026 GSTL: Grand Finals
CranKy Ducklings135
LiquipediaDiscussion
OSC
23:00
OSC Masters Cup #151 Qualifier
davetesta33
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
RuFF_SC2 180
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 11685
Terrorterran 12
Dota 2
monkeys_forever1106
NeuroSwarm191
febbydoto32
League of Legends
JimRising 711
Counter-Strike
taco 298
minikerr40
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King260
hungrybox124
Other Games
summit1g9354
Maynarde212
ArmadaUGS53
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick406
StarCraft: Brood War
Kim Chul Min (afreeca) 8
[ Show 13 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 169
• Letter148
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Pr0nogo 4
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Lourlo801
• Rush502
Upcoming Events
Afreeca Starleague
6h 50m
Soma vs Jaedong
WardiTV Weekly
7h 50m
Monday Night Weeklies
12h 50m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
1d 6h
Afreeca Starleague
1d 6h
Leta vs Soulkey
PiGosaur Cup
1d 20h
Kung Fu Cup
2 days
The PondCast
3 days
Replay Cast
3 days
CranKy Ducklings
5 days
[ Show More ]
Online Event
5 days
FEL
5 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
5 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.