• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 22:45
CEST 04:45
KST 11:45
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)75Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups?
Tourneys
ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft Sagi.gg Launcher Released Bot on ladder BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ Fantasy returning?
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Nintendo Switch Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Dating: How's your luck? Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7413 users

[G] Fleet Keys - Refined Hotkey Systems - Page 16

Forum Index > StarCraft 2 Strategy
Post a Reply
Prev 1 14 15 16 17 18 24 Next All
Tritone
Profile Joined June 2010
Japan76 Posts
August 02 2013 04:38 GMT
#301
You're welcome, eneyeseekay. Thanks for developing this layout. I have been using it for the past couple of months and couldn't be happier. With a few slight modifications, and a few dozen practice games to get everything down, it's become everything I could ask for in a keyboard layout. It's efficient, easy to use, and lets me focus less on hunting around the keyboard for scattered, poorly mapped commands, and more on playing Starcraft.
Rockafella
Profile Joined August 2010
United Kingdom291 Posts
August 03 2013 21:35 GMT
#302
On August 02 2013 11:50 eneyeseekay wrote:

Being mindful of the white queues on the wireframes is the key to constant and massive production using Alt+Q-R. Seeing what your production is doing and knowing exactly when to make units is better in this case than spamming and over-queuing up on a few structures. I always hoped that this promoted more single queues across more managed structures. The problem is always keeping that one single queue marker on each structure, but it's a good thing to strive for. Trying to produce on-time while simply producing more as opposed to more often is another way of looking at it. That's basically my original intent with it anyway, what are your thoughts about it?



Yeah that's one thing that having all production one hotkey is poor for but I can't play Terran without it. I use Ctrl Q,W,E,R,A,S,D,F as set hotkeys and alt to recall, so that's one reason why I haven't used that as a hotkey. I've also tried use mousewheel up and down as 8/9 CG for Terran but not sure if that's tournament legal, I'd presume not. Imagine having your macro on mousewheel up or down haha. If there was a way of checking production with all macro on one hotkey it would be great as it's the only backdraw to the method you use. I know it's around a 50/50 split with Terrans (who this issue affects the most I guess) useingone CG as opposed to 3. I guess it's something I could get used to but using ALT for Control groups means you are using ALT almost all the time surely? I can see the thumb getting a good workout at least, my ALT is also quite far left to the spacebar (CMStorm Rapid), if I had a Noppoo choc mini I think I'd probably consider changing a lot more seriously!

The hardest part of making and updating hotkey systems on SC I think is having it consistent the whole way through but easy enough through for newer players to learn so I can understand some of the decisions in the system. I can understand why you have everything so close too as it's just nice in general for smaller hands. I've got a slightly different layout for Zerg as I gave up trying to have consistency for all races and I've use Mouse4 (closest to thumb) for alt (for recalling cams) which helps a decent amount, something else to consider but again, probably not tournament legal either though!
nippon14
Profile Joined August 2013
1 Post
August 07 2013 22:12 GMT
#303
2 days ago I saw this thread and decided to try out Alloy. It was a great decision, and I'm loving it so far. I've found the arcade game "Hotkey Trainer" to make the learning experience a lot faster, and I had the hotkeys down after about an hour or so. It's also getting me to use screen hotkeys a lot more, which I really never used before (So thank you for that). The one thing I'm still trying to figure out is the rapidfire key (protoss). I haven't really recognized much of a significance of it so far, really. What would be the benefit of using the rapidfire key (specifically when warping in gateway units), as apposed to just holding shift?
MilExo
Profile Joined September 2011
South Africa139 Posts
August 08 2013 18:51 GMT
#304
On August 08 2013 07:12 nippon14 wrote:
2 days ago I saw this thread and decided to try out Alloy. It was a great decision, and I'm loving it so far. I've found the arcade game "Hotkey Trainer" to make the learning experience a lot faster, and I had the hotkeys down after about an hour or so. It's also getting me to use screen hotkeys a lot more, which I really never used before (So thank you for that). The one thing I'm still trying to figure out is the rapidfire key (protoss). I haven't really recognized much of a significance of it so far, really. What would be the benefit of using the rapidfire key (specifically when warping in gateway units), as apposed to just holding shift?


You can warp in a lot faster, just make sure that your keyboard repeat rate is set to highest and delay set to lowest. Fast repeat rate is a lot faster than you can possibly click.
Nizes
Profile Joined May 2012
Finland27 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-08-09 21:30:42
August 09 2013 21:30 GMT
#305
Ok so i noticed this thread couple days ago and bookmarked it to check out later. Today i tried this hotkey setup and it is great expect it feels so uncomfortable using the alt key. I would like to change the alt and spacebar around so spacebar would be used like alt key is used as default but i don't know how to change that.So i ask how do i change the spots of spacebar and alt. And i use the qwerty terran-protoss one.
decemberscalm
Profile Blog Joined July 2009
United States1353 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-08-10 09:38:55
August 10 2013 09:38 GMT
#306
On July 30 2013 05:58 eneyeseekay wrote:
@decemberscalm

That looks like a good alternative setup for those who just can't get used to the Alt+QWE CG's. It all really comes down to what you're comfortable with in the end right?

When you say Tab for macro, you mean CC's/Hatches/Nexuses right?

I'm not sure what you are using Caps Lock for, are you still using it as a CG or Base Camera? Caps Lock is a reallllly good spot for Queens, as it makes the Backspace, Camera Locations, and Box-Click methods insanely smooth. By keeping your layout uniform, did you opt for the Smart Key with Zerg as Space Bar, or did you change Space bar to Base Camera in T&P? The Z and the T&P layouts are divided mainly by that defining feature, so I'm curious to hear what you decided to go for while merging them?

Thanks for the feedback/sharing your thoughts!

Yep! Tab for the CC's/Hatches/Nexi.

Caps for cycling bases. I'm not actually used to hot keying queens. I've been using camera injects, but quickly boxing queens. This is an inferior method and I really should replace it but I haven't been playing Z too much lately.
Hmm, you are making me rethink what to do instead.

I am just completely not using the "smart key" for anything. Right now I have it binded as a rally cam. I could try to get used to z or something as a rally cam instead and use space bar as a control group (would make a queen group more viable no?).

That might be a pretty sick way to do it.
Caps cycle bases. Z as rally cam. Spacebar as control group for queens (and another easy to grab control group for T/P).


decemberscalm
Profile Blog Joined July 2009
United States1353 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-08-10 09:46:20
August 10 2013 09:41 GMT
#307
On August 10 2013 06:30 Nizes wrote:
Ok so i noticed this thread couple days ago and bookmarked it to check out later. Today i tried this hotkey setup and it is great expect it feels so uncomfortable using the alt key. I would like to change the alt and spacebar around so spacebar would be used like alt key is used as default but i don't know how to change that.So i ask how do i change the spots of spacebar and alt. And i use the qwerty terran-protoss one.

I was the same way. Cameras with alt is fine because you don't spam the hell out of them like you do macro keys.

What I ended up doing is using tab and tilde. Tab for nexi/cc's/hatch. Tilde as scout/harass. This let me put rax/gate on 3, Robo/fact on 4, and star on 5. Tech building I need to check progress on 6, the only "hard" to reach key in the entire setup.

If I'm not mistaken you can't use different modifier keys
Nizes
Profile Joined May 2012
Finland27 Posts
August 11 2013 10:31 GMT
#308
On August 10 2013 18:41 decemberscalm wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 10 2013 06:30 Nizes wrote:
Ok so i noticed this thread couple days ago and bookmarked it to check out later. Today i tried this hotkey setup and it is great expect it feels so uncomfortable using the alt key. I would like to change the alt and spacebar around so spacebar would be used like alt key is used as default but i don't know how to change that.So i ask how do i change the spots of spacebar and alt. And i use the qwerty terran-protoss one.

I was the same way. Cameras with alt is fine because you don't spam the hell out of them like you do macro keys.

What I ended up doing is using tab and tilde. Tab for nexi/cc's/hatch. Tilde as scout/harass. This let me put rax/gate on 3, Robo/fact on 4, and star on 5. Tech building I need to check progress on 6, the only "hard" to reach key in the entire setup.

If I'm not mistaken you can't use different modifier keys


Thanks for the answer Decemberscalm i will try that setup.
Giantt
Profile Joined December 2010
Bulgaria82 Posts
August 13 2013 16:05 GMT
#309
I am interested into importing pieces of this layout into my own.
Could you share how to set up the rapidfire key function and is it tournament legal or not?
MilExo
Profile Joined September 2011
South Africa139 Posts
August 13 2013 17:09 GMT
#310
You can look at the following thread on how to set it up: http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=413581

As for tournament legal - you would need to look at the rules for the individual tournament. It is something that you can setup via the SC2 front-end, so it should be legal and I have seen some pro players actually use it on their stream.
decemberscalm
Profile Blog Joined July 2009
United States1353 Posts
August 14 2013 01:30 GMT
#311
One annoying thing about how rapid fire is set up right now. When trying to build things it'll trigger. Obviously this is not ideal.
MilExo
Profile Joined September 2011
South Africa139 Posts
August 14 2013 03:57 GMT
#312
Also make sure that you use it only where it will make sense. You can overcharge the same nexus twice or feedback the same medivac until your energy is depleted if the feedback doesn't kill it (test it in a unit tester map). So rapidfire gives great power, but also has some drawbacks.
Havik_
Profile Joined November 2011
United States5585 Posts
August 21 2013 14:57 GMT
#313
I wouldn't switch to this from grid, but I have to say you did a fantastic job with these hotkeys! Bravo!
"An opinion is only as good as the evidence that backs it up."- William O'Malley, S.J.
eneyeseekay
Profile Joined March 2013
239 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-08-31 03:50:07
August 30 2013 20:09 GMT
#314
!
HEY EVERYONE!!


DISCLAIMER: This is not a goodbye message!
So I've been MIA for about a full page in this thread. That's not like me at all! If anyone's curious, I've been doing a lot of flying and working for the past month+. Where I normally stay, the internet is quite poor; it's non-existent during higher traffic hours, which are the only ones I seem to be around for most of the time. My shifts run like 2 weeks straight on, 12+ hour days, and then one week off. 2 of those off days are tied up in flying to and from work, and another one of those off days is spent catching up on sleep. Sounds awful, but it's worth it for now. This schedule doesn't leave much room for time off, and the time off I do have I dedicate to being with family/friends. I really cherish those few days I have with them.

I like art and all that stuff as you might imagine (I made this whole damn OP after all). I really like Magic the Gathering, Ascension, D&D when the opportunity arrises, and anything else I can try out. Due to the whole shaky/non-existent internet situation that seems to be my life at the moment (life without reliable internet is suffocating at times, yet liberating too), I've been turning to more offline forms of entertainment like those mentioned above. Other things I should mention are Emulators/roms on my phone (with many spare batteries!), gym time, popping on TL with my phone here and there, and a new, internet-free hobby that ties in great with my artsy background--- Warhammer 40k. Being able to design/paint my own stuff is a massive draw for me, and it requires no internet connection!

Right now, I dunno where SC2 fits in, but I'm trying to find a way to work it in because I miiisssssss iiiiiit. It requires a decent rig I can take with me back and forth, time alone, and a good, reliable internet connection. On any given day, it seems like one or none of those things are at my disposal. Offline maps is where I could squeeze in time, which is starting to look like my only option atm.

@nippon14
You're picking it up pretty quick then huh? I'm glad to hear that it's not impossible to learn, otherwise all of this would be for naught! Seriously though this is great news! MilExo explained it pretty good there. Zealots are the major benefactors here, although any Gateway unit can be deployed like that.

@ Decemberscalm
That's a very close setup to what I tested out early on, before I decided to layer everything over with Alt. I'm glad you brought this to light, as it could a nice alternative for those who just simply don't like using Alt for their army production/upgrades. you do lose a lot of monitoring ability, but if it's easier to not use Alt for some players, I can't argue with them on that. I think it deserves a place in the Additional Info section. Tilde as simply an army Control Group makes more sense for people, so I'd only change that word, but keep the rest. You could bind the tech to your CC's as well, Tab>F1/F2 or Tab>Side Mouse Button seems easier imo than jumping all the way to 6, but that's just me. it would certainly make tabbing through tech easier.

Rapidfire Can be set up a ton of different ways, and I tried keeping it the least intrusive while still allowing it to tie in seamlessly with the Zerg abilities that benefit from it (Inject, Propagate tumor). The idea was not to make Rapidfire super-accessible and easy to set off, but rather keep it as a conveniently-placed trigger because it can work for and against players. I can't think of any other situation outside of Zerg where you'd normally want to hold in S often. Is there a better location you can think of for T and P?

@Havik_
Thanks Havik! I'm curious (as this is what I'd call a more refined or compact Grid setup and you use Grid), If you were to use it, what would you want changed?
xsnac
Profile Blog Joined August 2011
Barbados1365 Posts
September 07 2013 22:56 GMT
#315
hello guys so i recently gave up a 5 button mouse to a 3 button one ( replace deathadder with abyssus ) .

On my ex mouse i used to have the side mouse buttons binded to ( forges & camera position on RAMP ) . now as protoss i spam forges a lot with Chronoboost and i spam ramp aswel for walling and stuff like this .
what you recommand me to replace those 2 keys with ? i kinda have an improvised hotkey system .
+ Show Spoiler +

` - ms core
1 - all nexus
2 - main army
3 - spell casters
4 - hallucination pheonix / warp prism / observers / oracle / 4-5 group of pheonix ( scouting stuff or harassment group )
5 - all gateways
6 - all stargates
7 - all robotics

modified structure hotkeys :
build Nexus B-B
build immortal R
(I use for camera groups f1-f7 and i bind them with 9 0 - = backspace insert and home )


now i made a control group for forges Ctrl - W and W to select them .
but for ramp camera hotkey i still cant find something that sweets me . what you guys recommand me ? the only one that i think is decend is Capslock ( wich i found in this guide )
1/4 \pi \epsilon_0
MakeHaste
Profile Joined August 2013
Lithuania2 Posts
September 09 2013 09:15 GMT
#316
I had a similar problem to some of you - the Tab CC's to Alt+Q-R felt awkward.
What I did is - tab for the rally site camera (as an CG seems out of place), and moved everything to the side CC on Alt-Q etc. I am still considering moving tech buildings to Rax and Factory groups respectively. Seems fairly intuitive.

Anyone using mouse buttons as modifiers? Does it inhibit the flow (whatever that might mean)?
I am of the Radiance.
Tisdel
Profile Joined November 2013
9 Posts
November 16 2013 01:56 GMT
#317
Hey, this might be a stupid question but here goes.

When I bind a control group to QWER, then use those buttons for grid, I just jump to that control group. Am I doing something wrong?
eneyeseekay
Profile Joined March 2013
239 Posts
November 16 2013 05:08 GMT
#318
On November 16 2013 10:56 Tisdel wrote:
Hey, this might be a stupid question but here goes.

When I bind a control group to QWER, then use those buttons for grid, I just jump to that control group. Am I doing something wrong?


Alt+Q/W/E/R should be recalling your control groups bound to Q/W/E/R. As far as I know the hotkey files are set up that way and shouldn't select/jump to them by simply pressing Q/W/E/R.

So the current way to handle CG's is close to the standard way only "layered" under Q/W/E/R. Ctrl+Q/W/E/R to create, Shift+Alt+Q/W/E/R to add, and Alt+Q/W/E/R to recall. Pressing Q to B shouldn't be recalling them. These images explains/shows it pretty clearly.

Alloy Zerg
http://i.imgur.com/QqZICI5.jpg

Alloy Terran & Protoss
http://i.imgur.com/ijwqs69.jpg
Tisdel
Profile Joined November 2013
9 Posts
November 16 2013 06:49 GMT
#319
On November 16 2013 14:08 eneyeseekay wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 16 2013 10:56 Tisdel wrote:
Hey, this might be a stupid question but here goes.

When I bind a control group to QWER, then use those buttons for grid, I just jump to that control group. Am I doing something wrong?


Alt+Q/W/E/R should be recalling your control groups bound to Q/W/E/R. As far as I know the hotkey files are set up that way and shouldn't select/jump to them by simply pressing Q/W/E/R.

So the current way to handle CG's is close to the standard way only "layered" under Q/W/E/R. Ctrl+Q/W/E/R to create, Shift+Alt+Q/W/E/R to add, and Alt+Q/W/E/R to recall. Pressing Q to B shouldn't be recalling them. These images explains/shows it pretty clearly.


Yeah. I thought that was how it was supposed to work. I redownloaded the file and now it works that way. Weird.

Previously pressing q when the nexus was selected would jump to the control group at q, not build a probe.
hypnotoad.410
Profile Joined January 2011
Germany29 Posts
November 16 2013 11:17 GMT
#320
where are the pros and cons of fleet compared to The Core?
Prev 1 14 15 16 17 18 24 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
PiGosaur Cup
09:00
#102
CranKy Ducklings114
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
WinterStarcraft399
ByuN 304
RuFF_SC2 152
ViBE96
CosmosSc2 66
StarCraft: Brood War
Rain 2310
GuemChi 1307
MaD[AoV]185
Sharp 154
910 67
Bale 20
NaDa 14
Terrorterran 5
Dota 2
monkeys_forever370
LuMiX1
Counter-Strike
taco 617
minikerr17
Super Smash Bros
hungrybox1049
Other Games
summit1g8730
JimRising 591
C9.Mang0342
Trikslyr32
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick818
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream27
[ Show 13 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• EnkiAlexander 59
• CranKy Ducklings SOOP58
• Letter149
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Lourlo554
Other Games
• Shiphtur359
Upcoming Events
Patches Events
13h 16m
The PondCast
1d 7h
INu's Battles
1d 8h
Percival vs SHIN
Zoun vs herO
OSC
1d 19h
Replay Cast
1d 20h
OSC
2 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
3 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
4 days
Patches Events
4 days
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
WardiTV Weekly
6 days
PiGosaur Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.