• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 04:12
CEST 10:12
KST 17:12
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror6[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Rollback Netcode in Brood War605.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202621Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
RSL 2026 Offline Finals LCQ Sign-Ups $3,500 WardiTV Not-Summer Championship ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
TL Sidebar missing streams [ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror Rollback Netcode in Brood War Sagi.gg Launcher Released BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25!
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread TeamLiquid Health and Fitness Initiative For 2023 MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7621 users

The HotS Protoss Help Me Thread - Page 34

Forum Index > StarCraft 2 Strategy
Post a Reply
Prev 1 32 33 34 35 36 367 Next
Make sure you read the OP before asking a question. Asking a question already addressed in the OP will result in moderation action. Also, please put some effort into your questions. Do not just ask for build orders.
Ruin
Profile Joined July 2011
United States271 Posts
March 29 2013 17:38 GMT
#661
On March 14 2013 02:50 ant-1 wrote:
Guys, how do you handle the new maps with impossible thirds to take versus Zerg (Star station, Neo Planet S, Bel'shir vestige, etc.)? Mass cannons? I veto at least two of them, but it is not a solution...

I also try two base pressure with third taking in the middle of it, but this only works because zergs are busy playing with their new toys and not having a solid response (which nicely fits into the previous messages in this thread). And because I'm playing gold opponents (weird placement due to launch day?). I remember during the beta I could not for the life of me take a third on star station, I really thought they would remove it, yet here it is on release...


I immortal allin every game with a 75% winrate as my solution. I feel kind of bad though because my game sense for PvZ will go down the drain.
Ruin
Profile Joined July 2011
United States271 Posts
March 29 2013 17:43 GMT
#662
On March 30 2013 00:05 Salient wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 29 2013 22:27 Wombat_NI wrote:
This for me is the issue with medivacs. You don't die to drops but you are really, really stretched if you try to take a third at anything approaching WoL timings. Meanwhile Terrans can sit back and relax, float their third CC down and do huge, huge bio pushes.

Don't get me wrong it's not imbalanced but Terran have a much stronger mid game than in WoL, without actually doing anything strategically different. Most P innovations in HoTS so far all involve pre-medivac aggression as our new units bar the MsC don't really have much utility against standard bio T.

For the record PvT is my favourite matchup, and by far my strongest, so this is coming from me in a non-bitching manner!


I feel like PvT is pretty awful in HoTS. We can't really do sentry based (PartinG style) gateway pressure or all ins safely due to widow mines. Blink research time has been increased. We have to deal with stronger 1-1-1s and earlier cloaked threats. The 10 minute medevac timing is more brutal than ever, and it is very difficult to defend drops. In exchange, we get fragile air units that can be shut down with a single turret and that only MC can use effectively.


I think the stargate build was a metagame build and shouldn't really be used as terrans figure it out unless you have the multitasking of mc. This reminds me of when mc would go stargate in PvZ and destroy with it while others had less success with the style.

About PvT I really like the matchup now because you can be extremely greedy. I don't mean greedy as in taking a fast nexus either. The mothership core allows you to get tech/upgrade buildings out before your second and third gate after a 1 gate expand. For example you can go 1 gate robo forge forge gate gate or something incredibly greedy like that as long as you get enough observers vs widow mines. My personal favorite is a very fast forge for armor upgrades as well as fast templar for storm to take a third/end the game if they dont have ghosts. I find going from templar to collosus to be a lot easier than going for collosus into templar as with the latter you are vulnerable to viking timings. However templar first does make you more vulnerable to 2/2 ghost timings and other things. I guess it is a trade off but terrans don't seem used to high templar so fast with such fast 0/2/0 upgrades.
ThaReckoning
Profile Joined January 2011
United States197 Posts
March 29 2013 18:15 GMT
#663
On March 29 2013 20:59 rsvp wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 29 2013 20:16 blae000 wrote:
So what are you guys opening PvT ? I've tried the MC PvT Oracle thing.. But I feel like it have to do damage to be good, and it doesn't feel like the safest of options. But I also think that having a stargate reasonably early is good PvT. I don't really like the colosus death ball-style of play either. So....

On state of the game Artosis talked about going robo rather then stargate makes you super safe in the early game, as well as theognis saying double forge is very strong. And like I've said, I don't really like the colosus death-ball style. So now I'm thinking I have to go something like 1 gate FE, skip the stargate and go into robo while adding gates and double forge. Then hit some sort of colosus timing while taking a 3rd and teching to templar? Then again I feel like earlier templar for feedback vs medivac drops would be good, but maybe not necessary on 2 base?. Also, like I said, just having a stargate for a few phoenixes vs medivacs sound like a really good thing(rather then early templar). So 1 gate FE into robo, double forge AND stargate? Would I even be able to support that? The more I think about it the more it makes sense to go the MC-like opening with stargate into expand THEN add robo and forges a little bit later.. Honestly I feel kind of lost.. What are your guys' thoughts on the MU?

edit:fixed SOME of my horrible english, pardon me! ;D


- I agree on 1 gate FE into fast robo being really safe.

- Double forge is very strong. One big reasoning behind this is that with new speedvacs it's easier for terran to deny or slow your 3rd. So instead of trying to expand faster to get an advantage, you can go the easier route of faster upgrades to get ahead in the game.

- Colo -> templar is still my favorite way to play. A lot of people have success with going straight to templar on 2 base, but I don't feel comfortable with it. It's a personal preference thing though.

- I tried going phoenix on 2 base with colossus... couldn't really get it to work. In theory phoenix sounds like a good counter to medivac drops but in practice, they still don't 100% stop all drops, it makes your army really susceptible to mass vikings, and the terran can always still just secure and keep their economic lead.


How are you dealing with fast WM with this build? I did Sase's 1g pressure expand forever in WoL, so when it came time that I couldn't move out on the map due to WM drops, I just did it defensively, and even with all those units at those times terrans were still getting into my mineral lines with them. This has led me with going to 1g expo > SG styles of play, and they're working out really well for me so far.

On March 29 2013 22:16 Teoita wrote:
Yeah my third is always way later than i would like it to be, it's usually after like 13 minutes PvT is my worst matchup by far atm.

As far as playing vs greed goes, i agree with rsvp that double forge is very strong. If you can't have a big econ might as well have the strongest 2base army possible.


Yeah, I can only seem to take my third after I've confirmed the terran has/intends to take his. Double forge is also definitely the way to go, and it's very necessary if you open SG first. If you get far behind on upgrades you'll just roll over and die to anything terran does.

On March 30 2013 00:05 Salient wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 29 2013 22:27 Wombat_NI wrote:
This for me is the issue with medivacs. You don't die to drops but you are really, really stretched if you try to take a third at anything approaching WoL timings. Meanwhile Terrans can sit back and relax, float their third CC down and do huge, huge bio pushes.

Don't get me wrong it's not imbalanced but Terran have a much stronger mid game than in WoL, without actually doing anything strategically different. Most P innovations in HoTS so far all involve pre-medivac aggression as our new units bar the MsC don't really have much utility against standard bio T.

For the record PvT is my favourite matchup, and by far my strongest, so this is coming from me in a non-bitching manner!


I feel like PvT is pretty awful in HoTS. We can't really do sentry based (PartinG style) gateway pressure or all ins safely due to widow mines. Blink research time has been increased. We have to deal with stronger 1-1-1s and earlier cloaked threats. The 10 minute medevac timing is more brutal than ever, and it is very difficult to defend drops. In exchange, we get fragile air units that can be shut down with a single turret and that only MC can use effectively.


I think you're forgetting that the oracle offers a TON of utility, not just harassment. If you're opening SG, the oracle isn't only for harassment, and that's definitely not even it's best feature. The idea of the oracle is to allow SG openings to be possible by giving them:

- more damage vs small amounts of bio
- detection
- scouting

How many games did you lose in WoL to 1-1-1 opening SG because you had no detection? How many games did you lose because the terran one base raven sniped your observer and you couldn't see where he was on the map? The oracle solves all of those issues for you, if you open SG.

I did have a question though. Is there a way to reactively pressure your protoss opponent, when you gate scout and see that he's cutting corners? I mean cutting HUGE corners, as in getting a robo before a gateway unit, or TC before a gateway unit etc. Basically, how do I punish him for not respecting any timings I can hit as his opponent, but reactively? This is my only recurring problem in PvP that I can't solve.

As a primarily DT expanding player, I lose to these sorts of plays every time I see them. The greedy robo timing hardcounters my initial DT's, and the greedy TC timing makes me instantly lose because his DT's are faster than mine. I have no problem identifying these builds with a gateway scout, I just can't seem to find a way to punish them. I feel like there's something I could do with an early MSC to punish this, but I'm not sure what. Help?
If you want to make one goal, to win, you must lose.
Teoita
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
Italy12248 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-03-29 18:40:13
March 29 2013 18:39 GMT
#664
If he's stupid enough to show you his tech building can't you just hard counter it? See fast robo go stargate, see fast twilight go 1gate fe into robo or something like that. Plus, you can still DT expand and be safe from DT on your own as long as you get a robo after your nexus; if he's rushing for DT that fast i don't think he wants to expand anyway.
ModeratorProtoss all-ins are like a wok. You can throw whatever you want in there and it will turn out alright.
ThaReckoning
Profile Joined January 2011
United States197 Posts
March 29 2013 18:41 GMT
#665
On March 30 2013 03:39 Teoita wrote:
If he's stupid enough to show you his tech building can't you just hard counter it? See fast robo go stargate, see fast twilight go 1gate fe into robo or something like that. Plus, you can still DT expand and be safe from DT on your own as long as you get a robo after your nexus; if he's rushing for DT that fast i don't think he wants to expand anyway.


I don't actually SEE his tech, but I know he's sprinting for whatever it is. Basically I want to be able to punish that cutting of corners to get super fast tech out, and punish that.
If you want to make one goal, to win, you must lose.
Teoita
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
Italy12248 Posts
March 29 2013 18:42 GMT
#666
You should always scout tech before any gateway unit wtf :O
ModeratorProtoss all-ins are like a wok. You can throw whatever you want in there and it will turn out alright.
ThaReckoning
Profile Joined January 2011
United States197 Posts
March 29 2013 18:46 GMT
#667
On March 30 2013 03:42 Teoita wrote:
You should always scout tech before any gateway unit wtf :O


He doesn't get it LITERALLY before a gateway unit, but I can tell that he's just doing a build that's not flexible enough to react to what I do. He's just sprinting for the fastest tech he can with a roll of the dice, and I need to learn a way to punish the ones that DT expo doesn't hardcounter with a deviation to my build, since I know he won't be reacting to it.
If you want to make one goal, to win, you must lose.
Teoita
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
Italy12248 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-03-29 18:59:27
March 29 2013 18:58 GMT
#668
Ah. Well in that case i -think- you could just switch into some kind of gateway pressure. I'm not 100% sure on this because i don't really bother scouting anymore in PvP (unless it's a 4player map then i just core scout for the spawning location), but it's worth playing around with it.

For example, if you're going for a 3stalker/msc opening, you could chrono wg hardcore and put pressure on with 5/7 stalkers and your core while expanding behind it.

Alternatively, you could just play greedy yourself.
ModeratorProtoss all-ins are like a wok. You can throw whatever you want in there and it will turn out alright.
ThaReckoning
Profile Joined January 2011
United States197 Posts
March 29 2013 19:00 GMT
#669
On March 30 2013 03:58 Teoita wrote:
Ah. Well in that case i -think- you could just switch into some kind of gateway pressure. I'm not 100% sure on this because i don't really bother scouting anymore in PvP (unless it's a 4player map then i just core scout for the spawning location), but it's worth playing around with it.

For example, if you're going for a 3stalker/msc opening, you could chrono wg hardcore and put pressure on with 5/7 stalkers and your core while expanding behind it.

Alternatively, you could just play greedy yourself.


Can you pull a replay of something like this? I'm really particular about how my builds work early game, it's just one of those things I'm OCD about.
If you want to make one goal, to win, you must lose.
Teoita
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
Italy12248 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-03-29 19:04:14
March 29 2013 19:03 GMT
#670
Both me and Alej were just screwing around with builds (and we're rusty as shit), but i guess something like this:
http://drop.sc/315598

Also i can totally relate to bo OCD lol.
ModeratorProtoss all-ins are like a wok. You can throw whatever you want in there and it will turn out alright.
Kinon
Profile Joined October 2012
Romania207 Posts
March 29 2013 19:14 GMT
#671
How would a stalker+msc pressure do against fast oracle? You don't hit fast enough to catch the oracle, and by the time you break the main he could already have wiped your mineral line?
Teoita
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
Italy12248 Posts
March 29 2013 19:16 GMT
#672
I did that in the game before and i think if i had executed correctly i could have recalled home in time. On the other hand i suck balls so i lost 8 probes.
ModeratorProtoss all-ins are like a wok. You can throw whatever you want in there and it will turn out alright.
hzflank
Profile Joined August 2011
United Kingdom2991 Posts
March 29 2013 19:17 GMT
#673
On March 30 2013 04:14 Kinon wrote:
How would a stalker+msc pressure do against fast oracle? You don't hit fast enough to catch the oracle, and by the time you break the main he could already have wiped your mineral line?


You would have to leave 2 stalkers at home in your mineral line. You cannot just let an oracle has free reign with your workers (it kills a worker every 2 seconds).
SteveNick
Profile Joined November 2008
United States304 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-03-29 19:19:53
March 29 2013 19:19 GMT
#674
On the subject of 1gate FEing vs. Terran, one thing I had trouble with is a proxy factory with mines just running into my base to my mineral lines. It's impossible to get detection in time to stop this, so unless your units are stationed at your base entrance to contain the mine entry, you auto-lose as far as I can tell. This happened one time when I tried to pressure Terran with my first zealot/stalker. Widow mine walked right into my base into my main, robo facility not even started yet(I got 1 gateway before robo). I'm assuming this is just one of those things you need to scout and if you think they're doing something fishy like this just hug your ramp to deny the mine entrance.
It's all fun and games until somebody gets 4gated.
Teoita
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
Italy12248 Posts
March 29 2013 19:20 GMT
#675
Rsvp posted about that a while ago:

I haven't had much problems facing early widow mines going 1 gate FE. I like to get mostly stalkers out of my first gateway (no sentries), and immediately go for a robo for an early obs. An early MSC to make sure you have enough energy for a photon overcharge when the attack hits helps a lot as well.

The widow mine attack in this replay probably comes a bit later than what you're talking about, but as you can see I'm prepared with MSC and obs + stalkers a long time before the attack hits anyway. Just make sure to micro your stalkers carefully against widow mines (don't attack move into them even with detection, always target fire them otherwise your stalkers will just run into their range before the AI realizes it has a target).
http://drop.sc/313924
ModeratorProtoss all-ins are like a wok. You can throw whatever you want in there and it will turn out alright.
DarkPlasmaBall
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
United States46511 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-03-29 19:24:53
March 29 2013 19:24 GMT
#676
On March 30 2013 02:43 Aiursc wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 30 2013 00:05 Salient wrote:
On March 29 2013 22:27 Wombat_NI wrote:
This for me is the issue with medivacs. You don't die to drops but you are really, really stretched if you try to take a third at anything approaching WoL timings. Meanwhile Terrans can sit back and relax, float their third CC down and do huge, huge bio pushes.

Don't get me wrong it's not imbalanced but Terran have a much stronger mid game than in WoL, without actually doing anything strategically different. Most P innovations in HoTS so far all involve pre-medivac aggression as our new units bar the MsC don't really have much utility against standard bio T.

For the record PvT is my favourite matchup, and by far my strongest, so this is coming from me in a non-bitching manner!


I feel like PvT is pretty awful in HoTS. We can't really do sentry based (PartinG style) gateway pressure or all ins safely due to widow mines. Blink research time has been increased. We have to deal with stronger 1-1-1s and earlier cloaked threats. The 10 minute medevac timing is more brutal than ever, and it is very difficult to defend drops. In exchange, we get fragile air units that can be shut down with a single turret and that only MC can use effectively.


I think the stargate build was a metagame build and shouldn't really be used as terrans figure it out unless you have the multitasking of mc. This reminds me of when mc would go stargate in PvZ and destroy with it while others had less success with the style.

About PvT I really like the matchup now because you can be extremely greedy. I don't mean greedy as in taking a fast nexus either. The mothership core allows you to get tech/upgrade buildings out before your second and third gate after a 1 gate expand. For example you can go 1 gate robo forge forge gate gate or something incredibly greedy like that as long as you get enough observers vs widow mines. My personal favorite is a very fast forge for armor upgrades as well as fast templar for storm to take a third/end the game if they dont have ghosts. I find going from templar to collosus to be a lot easier than going for collosus into templar as with the latter you are vulnerable to viking timings. However templar first does make you more vulnerable to 2/2 ghost timings and other things. I guess it is a trade off but terrans don't seem used to high templar so fast with such fast 0/2/0 upgrades.


Are you claiming that you can go 1gate expand, cyber core, then robo, then two forges, and then two more gateways and hold any early pressure (let alone a full out rush/ proxy raxes/ reapers) all because you have a mothership core? And this is at what level of play? What if your opponent, like, scouts you or something?

I agree you can be slightly greedier and defend your natural easier with the mothership core, but I think you're exaggerating a bit.
"There is nothing more satisfying than looking at a crowd of people and helping them get what I love." ~Day[9] Daily #100
ThaReckoning
Profile Joined January 2011
United States197 Posts
March 29 2013 19:34 GMT
#677
On March 30 2013 04:24 DarkPlasmaBall wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 30 2013 02:43 Aiursc wrote:
On March 30 2013 00:05 Salient wrote:
On March 29 2013 22:27 Wombat_NI wrote:
This for me is the issue with medivacs. You don't die to drops but you are really, really stretched if you try to take a third at anything approaching WoL timings. Meanwhile Terrans can sit back and relax, float their third CC down and do huge, huge bio pushes.

Don't get me wrong it's not imbalanced but Terran have a much stronger mid game than in WoL, without actually doing anything strategically different. Most P innovations in HoTS so far all involve pre-medivac aggression as our new units bar the MsC don't really have much utility against standard bio T.

For the record PvT is my favourite matchup, and by far my strongest, so this is coming from me in a non-bitching manner!


I feel like PvT is pretty awful in HoTS. We can't really do sentry based (PartinG style) gateway pressure or all ins safely due to widow mines. Blink research time has been increased. We have to deal with stronger 1-1-1s and earlier cloaked threats. The 10 minute medevac timing is more brutal than ever, and it is very difficult to defend drops. In exchange, we get fragile air units that can be shut down with a single turret and that only MC can use effectively.


I think the stargate build was a metagame build and shouldn't really be used as terrans figure it out unless you have the multitasking of mc. This reminds me of when mc would go stargate in PvZ and destroy with it while others had less success with the style.

About PvT I really like the matchup now because you can be extremely greedy. I don't mean greedy as in taking a fast nexus either. The mothership core allows you to get tech/upgrade buildings out before your second and third gate after a 1 gate expand. For example you can go 1 gate robo forge forge gate gate or something incredibly greedy like that as long as you get enough observers vs widow mines. My personal favorite is a very fast forge for armor upgrades as well as fast templar for storm to take a third/end the game if they dont have ghosts. I find going from templar to collosus to be a lot easier than going for collosus into templar as with the latter you are vulnerable to viking timings. However templar first does make you more vulnerable to 2/2 ghost timings and other things. I guess it is a trade off but terrans don't seem used to high templar so fast with such fast 0/2/0 upgrades.


Are you claiming that you can go 1gate expand, cyber core, then robo, then two forges, and then two more gateways and hold any early pressure (let alone a full out rush/ proxy raxes/ reapers) all because you have a mothership core? And this is at what level of play? What if your opponent, like, scouts you or something?

I agree you can be slightly greedier and defend your natural easier with the mothership core, but I think you're exaggerating a bit.


I feel like if the terran does a fast drop build you won't have the unit count to stop it doing this. I've also seen some terrans doing 2-3 rax expo again sometimes, just in case protoss does this. I'd be careful with it.
If you want to make one goal, to win, you must lose.
Kinon
Profile Joined October 2012
Romania207 Posts
March 29 2013 19:36 GMT
#678
On March 30 2013 04:17 hzflank wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 30 2013 04:14 Kinon wrote:
How would a stalker+msc pressure do against fast oracle? You don't hit fast enough to catch the oracle, and by the time you break the main he could already have wiped your mineral line?


You would have to leave 2 stalkers at home in your mineral line. You cannot just let an oracle has free reign with your workers (it kills a worker every 2 seconds).


How do you know he's going for Oracles when going 3 stalker rush into MSC pressure? With this build Ionly scout my base for proxy, and rely on that fast push to figure out what his doing. So, if he has some units, my first tree stalkers won't be able to get any info. Should I probe scout, or just leave 2 stalkers preemptively?

Sorry for the noobish question I posted in this thread, I'm just a plat toss trying to figure out a safe build in PvP.
Teoita
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
Italy12248 Posts
March 29 2013 19:36 GMT
#679
None is stupid enough to be that greedy unless you're playing vs 1rax fe...and even then, i think it's really risky unless you have Hero's stalker micro.
ModeratorProtoss all-ins are like a wok. You can throw whatever you want in there and it will turn out alright.
SteveNick
Profile Joined November 2008
United States304 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-03-29 19:41:11
March 29 2013 19:39 GMT
#680
On March 30 2013 04:20 Teoita wrote:
Rsvp posted about that a while ago:

I haven't had much problems facing early widow mines going 1 gate FE. I like to get mostly stalkers out of my first gateway (no sentries), and immediately go for a robo for an early obs. An early MSC to make sure you have enough energy for a photon overcharge when the attack hits helps a lot as well.

The widow mine attack in this replay probably comes a bit later than what you're talking about, but as you can see I'm prepared with MSC and obs + stalkers a long time before the attack hits anyway. Just make sure to micro your stalkers carefully against widow mines (don't attack move into them even with detection, always target fire them otherwise your stalkers will just run into their range before the AI realizes it has a target).
http://drop.sc/313924


Yeah, this replay isn't quite the same thing I'm talking about. The guy I played against was doing a 1base mine-cheese, not a mine based attack. Literally the only thing he did was run into my base with a mine, followed by another mine shortly after. I've been holding off mine attack timings fine, but a 1base proxy factory will get a mine inside your base before you can get detection up if you 1gate FE. I don't expect to see it much more on the ladder though, since it's very all-in build that wouldn't have worked if I had my units outside my nat to intercept the mine on the way in. It's something to be careful of if you move out to scout around the map and/or pressure your opponent during a 1gate FE, though.

I've only had it happen to me one game. Like you said, usually just getting a fast robo/obs will repel most widow mine aggression. On a different note, I didn't know that about attack moving into them vs target fire, so thanks for the tip.
It's all fun and games until somebody gets 4gated.
Prev 1 32 33 34 35 36 367 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 1h 48m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft: Brood War
Rain 4541
Leta 2288
BeSt 502
Soulkey 395
Soma 183
Rush 65
ZergMaN 30
Shine 30
Dota 2
XcaliburYe115
League of Legends
JimRising 547
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King55
Other Games
summit1g9329
WinterStarcraft714
Sick248
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV198
StarCraft: Brood War
lovetv 4
[ Show 11 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Sammyuel 35
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2311
League of Legends
• Jankos763
Upcoming Events
Sparkling Tuna Cup
1h 48m
Patches Events
6h 48m
BSL Open Qualifier
10h 48m
BSL Open Qualifier
10h 48m
OSC
14h 48m
OSC
1d 3h
WardiTV Weekly
2 days
PiGosaur Cup
2 days
The PondCast
4 days
Online Event
5 days
[ Show More ]
Korean StarCraft League
5 days
Afreeca Starleague
5 days
Rush vs Soulkey
CranKy Ducklings
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
HCC Season 3
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.