• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 19:05
CEST 01:05
KST 08:05
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon111
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16)
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder Official StarCraft website teases new content ahead of BlizzCon? a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing Where can I find Flash replays that work? BW General Discussion
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine All you football fans (soccer)! Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8494 users

[G] An Overview of the Zerg Match-ups - Page 3

Forum Index > StarCraft 2 Strategy
Post a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All
syriuszonito
Profile Joined June 2011
Poland332 Posts
March 04 2013 21:41 GMT
#41
Didnt read it all but looks really solid. One thing I would disagree is defense agains 9/10pools with 14p (isnt 15p/16h standard btw?). If you make your queen first and then lings you can actually get the queen in time to save the hatchery without the need to pull any drones
The one || My stream http://www.teamliquid.net/video/streams/syriuszonito
Glon
Profile Joined December 2010
United States569 Posts
March 05 2013 03:27 GMT
#42
On March 05 2013 06:41 syriuszonito wrote:
Didnt read it all but looks really solid. One thing I would disagree is defense agains 9/10pools with 14p (isnt 15p/16h standard btw?). If you make your queen first and then lings you can actually get the queen in time to save the hatchery without the need to pull any drones


This does NOT work on the pro level. EVERY pro does NOT go queen first (unless for some reason they didn't scout it).

And, generally, it's either 14p/15h OR 15p/15h. You don't take a hatch on 16.


Read it
@QuanticGlon https://twitter.com/QuanticGlon
Insoleet
Profile Joined May 2012
France1806 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-03-05 08:03:43
March 05 2013 08:03 GMT
#43
On March 03 2013 03:03 Glon wrote:
Versus a mutalisk player (you are not going for mutalisks), your goal should be to establish a third base and get infestors onto the field. Typically, as soon as the infestor player scouts the spire, he/she will place two spores at his third, one at his main and natural, and another between his natural and third. Keep in mind that, after getting 5-6 infestors, the infestor player must wait until he gets up hydralisks in order to push out across the maps (because mutalisks can split up to avoid being fungaled en mass), so remember not to put out across the map too early. In the mean time, prepare to defend yourself against zergling/mutalisk harass.


I asked the question on the Q/A Pro thread, but didnt get any answer. So I try there (i feel like the Q/A pro thread is more designed for hots questions anyway)

I dont have huge problem defending mulalisks.

The biggest problem I see is that my opponent usually deny all map control i could have until i have infestors + hydralisks. But when I go out, my opponent generally already has a saturated 4th, and his production facilities just overwhelm me.

If i try to go out before, with less hydras/infestors, it's runby everywhere, or lose everything to mutalisks + zerglings surround.

Sometimes, my opponents just outgreed me. Taking a fast 4th without even building any spines. But as I can go out of my base, I don't know that I could kill him right now...

I dont want to play mutalisks in ZvZ, so I wonder, what is the best way to deal with this situation. Stuck on 3 base, no map control... It will be even harder in HOTS so I need to fix it at least on WoL I guess. ^^

Mid master zerg EU here.
Golgotha
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
Korea (South)8418 Posts
March 05 2013 11:03 GMT
#44
Man I wish there was something like this for bw. BW Liquipedia is outdated.
theonlyshaft
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
United States581 Posts
March 05 2013 11:04 GMT
#45
Nice work man. I can tell it took you awhile. It's great not seeing a great wall of text -- formatting is your friend <3
Nullius addictus iurare in verba magistri, — quo me cumque rapit tempestas, deferor hospes
Glon
Profile Joined December 2010
United States569 Posts
March 05 2013 11:40 GMT
#46
On March 05 2013 17:03 Insoleet wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 03 2013 03:03 Glon wrote:
Versus a mutalisk player (you are not going for mutalisks), your goal should be to establish a third base and get infestors onto the field. Typically, as soon as the infestor player scouts the spire, he/she will place two spores at his third, one at his main and natural, and another between his natural and third. Keep in mind that, after getting 5-6 infestors, the infestor player must wait until he gets up hydralisks in order to push out across the maps (because mutalisks can split up to avoid being fungaled en mass), so remember not to put out across the map too early. In the mean time, prepare to defend yourself against zergling/mutalisk harass.


I asked the question on the Q/A Pro thread, but didnt get any answer. So I try there (i feel like the Q/A pro thread is more designed for hots questions anyway)

I dont have huge problem defending mulalisks.

The biggest problem I see is that my opponent usually deny all map control i could have until i have infestors + hydralisks. But when I go out, my opponent generally already has a saturated 4th, and his production facilities just overwhelm me.

If i try to go out before, with less hydras/infestors, it's runby everywhere, or lose everything to mutalisks + zerglings surround.

Sometimes, my opponents just outgreed me. Taking a fast 4th without even building any spines. But as I can go out of my base, I don't know that I could kill him right now...

I dont want to play mutalisks in ZvZ, so I wonder, what is the best way to deal with this situation. Stuck on 3 base, no map control... It will be even harder in HOTS so I need to fix it at least on WoL I guess. ^^

Mid master zerg EU here.


In HotS, it's really, REALLY hard to not go muta versus a muta player if you don't have a third up and established. Generally, the non-muta going player MUST rely on pure infestor/ling/spores for his defense. Rewatch the GSTL match between Leenock and Violet - here, Violet does and excellent job harassing with infestors while relying on only zerglings/infestors/spore colonies for defesnse at home. Later, once Violet has a 3 base economy more or less established, he adds on Hydralisks and a roach warren.

All in all, it's still very difficult to NOT go mutalisk in HotS. However, do remember that it IS possible on maps where the third is not far away from your natural (meaning that it is easier for you to get defense/creep spread over there). On maps where the third is far away from your natural, you're much better off either just going for mutalisks yourself OR all inning.

Hope it helped.
@QuanticGlon https://twitter.com/QuanticGlon
Yoinhell
Profile Joined November 2010
Canada49 Posts
March 06 2013 04:08 GMT
#47
Crazy awesome write up. Thanks for doing this. You're the man Glon!
FoShao
Profile Joined November 2012
United States256 Posts
March 06 2013 08:07 GMT
#48
The ZvP guide should really just say @ x:xx time build roach warren ---> win :p lol jk

on topic, this is a nice overview
syriuszonito
Profile Joined June 2011
Poland332 Posts
March 06 2013 13:47 GMT
#49
On March 05 2013 12:27 Glon wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 05 2013 06:41 syriuszonito wrote:
Didnt read it all but looks really solid. One thing I would disagree is defense agains 9/10pools with 14p (isnt 15p/16h standard btw?). If you make your queen first and then lings you can actually get the queen in time to save the hatchery without the need to pull any drones


This does NOT work on the pro level. EVERY pro does NOT go queen first (unless for some reason they didn't scout it).

And, generally, it's either 14p/15h OR 15p/15h. You don't take a hatch on 16.


Read it


Hm its really common to build a pool on 15 and make 2 drones then hatch but not wanna argue about it.
About the queen first then lings - I DONT know if it works on pro lvl or not but I am pretty sure that none of pro lvl players will read this guide and on lower lvl it DOES work and it gives you are a better economy obviously as you DONT have to pull drones and you DO get the queen faster.
The one || My stream http://www.teamliquid.net/video/streams/syriuszonito
crbox
Profile Joined August 2010
Canada1181 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-03-06 17:29:52
March 06 2013 17:25 GMT
#50
On March 05 2013 12:27 Glon wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 05 2013 06:41 syriuszonito wrote:
Didnt read it all but looks really solid. One thing I would disagree is defense agains 9/10pools with 14p (isnt 15p/16h standard btw?). If you make your queen first and then lings you can actually get the queen in time to save the hatchery without the need to pull any drones


This does NOT work on the pro level. EVERY pro does NOT go queen first (unless for some reason they didn't scout it).

And, generally, it's either 14p/15h OR 15p/15h. You don't take a hatch on 16.


Read it


its either 15/15 or 15/16 not 14/15 lol

16 hatch after 15p is pretty common

edit: 14/15 is more common in zvp if you expect your opponent to be cheesy and canon rush.
Glon
Profile Joined December 2010
United States569 Posts
March 06 2013 22:20 GMT
#51
On March 07 2013 02:25 crbox wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 05 2013 12:27 Glon wrote:
On March 05 2013 06:41 syriuszonito wrote:
Didnt read it all but looks really solid. One thing I would disagree is defense agains 9/10pools with 14p (isnt 15p/16h standard btw?). If you make your queen first and then lings you can actually get the queen in time to save the hatchery without the need to pull any drones


This does NOT work on the pro level. EVERY pro does NOT go queen first (unless for some reason they didn't scout it).

And, generally, it's either 14p/15h OR 15p/15h. You don't take a hatch on 16.


Read it


its either 15/15 or 15/16 not 14/15 lol

16 hatch after 15p is pretty common

edit: 14/15 is more common in zvp if you expect your opponent to be cheesy and canon rush.


Really? I 14p/15h ~ half my games in ZvZ. Allows for ~5 second faster lings when vs a 10 p.

And in response to the guy who said queen first: This guide is meant to propel people to a very high level. Obviously it does not cover more than a hair over the essentials, but the principles will remain true no matter what level you are. Therefore, I choose to give strategies that work on the highest level (and also at any) so that people can trust that the guide is universal.
@QuanticGlon https://twitter.com/QuanticGlon
blade55555
Profile Blog Joined March 2009
United States17423 Posts
March 06 2013 22:34 GMT
#52
On March 07 2013 07:20 Glon wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 07 2013 02:25 crbox wrote:
On March 05 2013 12:27 Glon wrote:
On March 05 2013 06:41 syriuszonito wrote:
Didnt read it all but looks really solid. One thing I would disagree is defense agains 9/10pools with 14p (isnt 15p/16h standard btw?). If you make your queen first and then lings you can actually get the queen in time to save the hatchery without the need to pull any drones


This does NOT work on the pro level. EVERY pro does NOT go queen first (unless for some reason they didn't scout it).

And, generally, it's either 14p/15h OR 15p/15h. You don't take a hatch on 16.


Read it


its either 15/15 or 15/16 not 14/15 lol

16 hatch after 15p is pretty common

edit: 14/15 is more common in zvp if you expect your opponent to be cheesy and canon rush.


Really? I 14p/15h ~ half my games in ZvZ. Allows for ~5 second faster lings when vs a 10 p.

And in response to the guy who said queen first: This guide is meant to propel people to a very high level. Obviously it does not cover more than a hair over the essentials, but the principles will remain true no matter what level you are. Therefore, I choose to give strategies that work on the highest level (and also at any) so that people can trust that the guide is universal.


Just wanted to throw in yeah 15 pool 16 hatch is common I do it, I see pros like idra do it all the time in zvz/zvp. I rarely see 14 pool 15 hatch.
When I think of something else, something will go here
achristes
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
Norway653 Posts
March 07 2013 10:05 GMT
#53
On March 05 2013 05:10 Glon wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 05 2013 02:53 Lobotomist wrote:
One thing I'm curious about: why no 14 gas/14 pool mention in zvp/zvz? It used to be considered standard in zvp when gateway expands were common, and was relatively common in zvz as well. Is this build considered out of date now? I could see it being behind in zvz (vs either standard pool or hatch first builds) but what about in zvp? if you absolutely knew your opponent was going to gateway expand, would this be a worthwhile build to use?


14 gas/14 pool is NOT considered standard in either matchup.

In ZvP, it's a coin-flip all in that will put you behind if you try to macro out of it.

In ZvZ, if you're looking to go for speed/bane pressure, either a 10 pool/10 gas OR a 14 pool /15 gas /hatchery is much more standard.

14/14 has lost it's place as a conventional build order.

I don't agree about the 14/14 in ZvZ. I use it to pressure greedy openings such as 15 hatch, and if they went completely overboard (hatch, gas, pool) then the hatchery is going down 100% of the time putting me waay ahead. If they don't go hatch first it can still be used for general harass (killing drones, lings, queens) and you can easily morph 1-2 banelings if you think you can break him.

As an allin 14/14 is outdated, but as a general pressure build it's excellent IMO.

(Or maybe I am being old fashioned and refuse to believe that there exists better builds for this...)
youtube.com/spooderm4n | twitch.tv/spooderm4n | Random videos and games I feel like uploading
IceBergZ
Profile Joined September 2012
Malaysia176 Posts
March 07 2013 13:16 GMT
#54
any pdf for this so I can print
Glon
Profile Joined December 2010
United States569 Posts
March 07 2013 23:29 GMT
#55
On March 07 2013 19:05 achristes wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 05 2013 05:10 Glon wrote:
On March 05 2013 02:53 Lobotomist wrote:
One thing I'm curious about: why no 14 gas/14 pool mention in zvp/zvz? It used to be considered standard in zvp when gateway expands were common, and was relatively common in zvz as well. Is this build considered out of date now? I could see it being behind in zvz (vs either standard pool or hatch first builds) but what about in zvp? if you absolutely knew your opponent was going to gateway expand, would this be a worthwhile build to use?


14 gas/14 pool is NOT considered standard in either matchup.

In ZvP, it's a coin-flip all in that will put you behind if you try to macro out of it.

In ZvZ, if you're looking to go for speed/bane pressure, either a 10 pool/10 gas OR a 14 pool /15 gas /hatchery is much more standard.

14/14 has lost it's place as a conventional build order.

I don't agree about the 14/14 in ZvZ. I use it to pressure greedy openings such as 15 hatch, and if they went completely overboard (hatch, gas, pool) then the hatchery is going down 100% of the time putting me waay ahead. If they don't go hatch first it can still be used for general harass (killing drones, lings, queens) and you can easily morph 1-2 banelings if you think you can break him.

As an allin 14/14 is outdated, but as a general pressure build it's excellent IMO.

(Or maybe I am being old fashioned and refuse to believe that there exists better builds for this...)


Again, I have built a guide that can build up a player to the semi-professional level (or damn well near it). You don't see pros go 14/14 on any regular basis - and I don't even think at all since 14 pool / 15 gas / 15 hatch is much more popular for coinflip all ins.

If it works for you - great! But it won't work consisantly on higher levels, what this is supposed to entail
@QuanticGlon https://twitter.com/QuanticGlon
Glon
Profile Joined December 2010
United States569 Posts
March 07 2013 23:30 GMT
#56
On March 07 2013 22:16 IceBergZ wrote:
any pdf for this so I can print


I can work on that for you
@QuanticGlon https://twitter.com/QuanticGlon
Glon
Profile Joined December 2010
United States569 Posts
March 07 2013 23:45 GMT
#57
On March 07 2013 22:16 IceBergZ wrote:
any pdf for this so I can print


Ok just checked- converting it to a PDF would take A LOT of manual work, so it's a no sorry.

I would suggest printing from TL (I would just take screenshots and print from there)
@QuanticGlon https://twitter.com/QuanticGlon
Crushgroove
Profile Joined July 2010
United States793 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-03-08 16:21:07
March 08 2013 16:20 GMT
#58
Amazing and valuable contribution, Job well done. Kudos.


Edit: Converting to PDF would be easy peasy.... I can do it if you want.
[In Korea on Vaca] "Why would I go to the park and climb a mountain? There are video games on f*cking TV!" - Kazuke
Glon
Profile Joined December 2010
United States569 Posts
March 08 2013 19:27 GMT
#59
On March 09 2013 01:20 Crushgroove wrote:
Amazing and valuable contribution, Job well done. Kudos.


Edit: Converting to PDF would be easy peasy.... I can do it if you want.


No, it isn't - you have to change scripts/other stuff. The TvZ guide took the TL Editors 3 days of manual work to convert it - not going to ask them to change this one to PDF. Just print from here, sorry ;(
@QuanticGlon https://twitter.com/QuanticGlon
DawN883
Profile Joined November 2011
Sweden558 Posts
March 08 2013 22:39 GMT
#60
+ Show Spoiler +
"Perhaps one of the most common strategies used for aggression in the mid game is the combination of helions and banshees to harass the Zerg while the Zerg is still trying to establish an economy and teching up to lair. If the Zerg player chooses to go for a 2 base tech build, defending helion banshee play shouldn't be a problem - the Zerg will have speed lings out and lair tech soon to come in order to defend the helions. However, in general, whenever you see a helion/banshee composition come out:

1 spore per base (yes, even the main)
1 spore between your natural and your third (helps when jumping between bases)
I prefer to get 1 spine at my third (Helps if you under make zerglings, ect)
Make ~16 zerglings and 1-2 extra queens

Position zerglings to stop helions from entering your natural or third - They're there to prevent runby's, not to chase helions. Basically, the goal is to defend without losing drones until either the Terran loses his units in a mistake or until lair tech is out. Remember to split any zerglings - if the Terran player dives with his helions, split the zerglings, pull the drones back, and move the queens/zerglings in. Queens should be focusing down banshees - they are the most dangerous units - while zerglings take care of helions. Most player's prefer to not get up roaches unless facing multiple factories, which requires that you not get caught out of position, and not chase helions off of creep."


You should maybe add that simcity with evolution chambers can really put a dent in a lot of hellion aggresion. As terran I can say that too many times zerg players (even master zergs sometimes!) skips building two evolution chambers to make chokepoints and just focuses on massing lings, which sometimes just get roasted.
If the dead are not raised, Let us eat and drink, for tomorrow we die
Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 55m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
ViBE110
CosmosSc2 33
StarCraft: Brood War
Shuttle 584
Artosis 528
910 27
Dota 2
monkeys_forever495
League of Legends
JimRising 565
Counter-Strike
minikerr13
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby5668
Other Games
summit1g7620
shahzam560
C9.Mang0284
ArmadaUGS90
Trikslyr41
ZombieGrub25
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick281
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream145
[ Show 9 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 140
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Upcoming Events
PiGosaur Cup
55m
Kung Fu Cup
11h 55m
Stellar Fest
13h 55m
The PondCast
1d 10h
OSC
1d 13h
Stellar Fest
1d 13h
OSC
2 days
Stellar Fest
2 days
CranKy Ducklings
3 days
Online Event
3 days
[ Show More ]
FEL
3 days
AI Arena Tournament
3 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
3 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
4 days
INu's Battles
4 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
Replay Cast
5 days
WardiTV Weekly
5 days
Replay Cast
6 days
INu's Battles
6 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.