• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 20:24
CEST 02:24
KST 09:24
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror2[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup8StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)67Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2316
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups? October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Fantasy returning? Sagi.gg Launcher Released BW General Discussion PLAYzone Challenge - open offline tour in Prague 20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 2v2v2v2 Tournament [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7876 users

The (HotS) Zerg Help Me Thread Beta - Page 10

Forum Index > StarCraft 2 Strategy
Post a Reply
Prev 1 8 9 10 11 12 27 Next All
Azoryen
Profile Blog Joined May 2012
Portugal242 Posts
December 27 2012 09:22 GMT
#181
On December 27 2012 12:01 blade55555 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 27 2012 11:26 TheGreenMachine wrote:
On December 27 2012 10:06 Azoryen wrote:
I'd like to use a similar composition/gameplan for all my match-ups and I'm open to suggestions.
I'm a noob, so no need for super optimized builds, just something I can practice and repeat with small adaptations for each MU.
(This is HotS, of course, i don't see much point in learning WoL now.)

Also, I'd prefer to have some AA in that composition, so I'm thinking maybe:
- roach/hydra
- muta/ling/bane

What about lategame, can I go for same composition in every MU? Ultra/infestor maybe?
Thx.

zvz: I go 2 base 6-8muta (3rd starts shortly before muta pop) into 3 base 4 hatch roach with +1 and speed
zvt: hatch first into ~36 supply roach expand then 1/1 range armor ups into a 4 hatch 3 base hydra+roach 2/2 timing with viper lategame,
zvp: 3 base 8 muta into optional reactionary 8 more muta (+1 air attack regardless), then double evo into 4 base 5 hatch ling bling allin shortly before he gets storm done, vs person attempting phoenix vs muta going for 2/2 roach hydra timing

If you had to stick with one in all matchups id suggest roach hydra viper, infestor ling ultra, or muta ling bling
You could really do any of those depending on your playstyle. If you tend to throw away your army for no reason you could go with roach hydra, if you like to counter attack you could go muta ling bling.

Infestors are weaker than wol, ultras are stronger, hydras are stronger, vipers are awesome

i dont experiment much with swarm hosts but im sure theyre good too.


Ah infestors are arguably better then WoL infestors with 10 range and near instant projectile.

Also out of curiousity zvp why don't you go ultras? Muta/ling/bane into ultra so strong you should try it instead of trying to ling/bane all in xD

So mutas seem to be the most universal plan, you can do that every MU, right?
Hydras seem still too bad in some MU.
I'd rather learn how to use less units to full potential than to attempt to play with all of them.
gCgCrypto
Profile Joined December 2010
Germany297 Posts
December 27 2012 10:42 GMT
#182
i dont think muta is a really stable option for ZvP still. It still play like a huge gimmick:
Do i get 2base allinned? if so then i´m dead ...
Does my oponent open 2 Stargate? Welp i´m dead ...
If both of these don´t apply however its almost like a autowin because the new Mutas are incredibly strong vs nonstargate openings.
I actually find Roach/ Hydra Viper to be the best ZvP strat.
The Hydras make the Immortal allin (and every other 2 Base allin) easily holdable but unlike WoL the Hydras still have value after Protoss gets a 3ds because:

1. The Speed upgrade makes Hydras microable so you can split them, run away or dodge storms.
2. The Viper can come soon enough to eliminate threats like colossi to support the Hydralisk.

ZvZ however is a huge Mutafeast.
I currently see no disadvantage to building more mutas (sth like a scourge is lacking, maby Blizz will do sth intresting about the Corrupter that dosnt make Mutas unplayable but gives muta/corruptor an edge over pure muta)
At least ZvZ has now gotten way more demanding because its not all the muta, the right balance of Lings, Banelings and Groundupgrades seems to be key.
If we both mirror eachothers Builds but i get 2 Mutas less in favour of 8 Banelings i probably win beacue i can kill of your lings and either attack your eco with my left lings or tank glaves so my lower muta amount still wins vs your higher one etc.
L E E J A E D O N G ! <3
tehcaekftw
Profile Joined March 2012
Denmark138 Posts
December 27 2012 16:33 GMT
#183
Vipers are Hive tech though, you'd need a pretty early Hive if you want to have vipers out before P gets more than 3-4 collosus.

I've used Roach Hydra with success though.
gCgCrypto
Profile Joined December 2010
Germany297 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-12-27 19:18:28
December 27 2012 16:56 GMT
#184
On December 28 2012 01:33 tehcaekftw wrote:
Vipers are Hive tech though, you'd need a pretty early Hive if you want to have vipers out before P gets more than 3-4 collosus.

I've used Roach Hydra with success though.


Well you need a pretty early hive anyway if you want to achive anything vs Protoss anyway (12 minutes hive done so you can get your broods in time is standard in wings)

The Thing with the Viper is that you ONLY need hive. No tech building, no upgrade, just some seconds to drain some energy.
And it comes totaly in time for any scary colosus based push, if you time it correctly.

Most of the time I defend 8minute 2 Pushes with Roach Ling or 10+ Minute 2 base pushes (Immo sentry allin, some Blink allins or stargate allins) with Ling Hydra and then transition into a 4th Roaches and a relativly early hive so i get vipers around the 12 minute mark.
If he pushes out with about 1-2 colossi before i have Hydras i can still beat it with a good surround of Roach Hydra.
Honestly its easier to get Vipers out vs Colossi then corrupters because if you get corrupters youre fucked when you over/under commit to them while 2 Vipers are enough to hold a push.
L E E J A E D O N G ! <3
doggy
Profile Joined May 2010
Germany306 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-12-27 17:46:17
December 27 2012 17:45 GMT
#185
couldnt agree more @gCgCrypto

btw, getting vipers out is the same time like getting a spire for curropters, so its not a huge deal. i also feel like (roach) ling, hydra viper into ultra is the best way to play zvp atm, i also couldnt find a way to use mutas well in zvp so far

its never wrong to build 2-3 infestors (without any upgrades) as soon as you have your pit, you will stockpile a lot of energy and theres nothing more deadly than infestor + viper
Azoryen
Profile Blog Joined May 2012
Portugal242 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-12-27 18:44:34
December 27 2012 18:44 GMT
#186
Hmm, so some people think hydras are a safer option than mutas in ZvP.
However hydras are still not very good in ZvT are they?
What about hydras in ZvZ, can they beat mutas?
gCgCrypto
Profile Joined December 2010
Germany297 Posts
December 27 2012 19:17 GMT
#187
On December 28 2012 02:45 doggy wrote:
couldnt agree more @gCgCrypto

btw, getting vipers out is the same time like getting a spire for curropters, so its not a huge deal. i also feel like (roach) ling, hydra viper into ultra is the best way to play zvp atm, i also couldnt find a way to use mutas well in zvp so far

its never wrong to build 2-3 infestors (without any upgrades) as soon as you have your pit, you will stockpile a lot of energy and theres nothing more deadly than infestor + viper


You are entierly right (in fact its even longer by time because you need a infestation pit first) about how fast you can get corrupters / Vipers. I was more referring to the fact that while 2-3 Vipers are entierly sufficient and will stay usefull throughout the lategame, you´d need 10++ Corruptors to deal with a push at that time and those corruptors would become rather useless later on (i dont feel like Broodlords are much of a option ZvP now anymore)

On December 28 2012 03:44 Azoryen wrote:
Hmm, so some people think hydras are a safer option than mutas in ZvP.
However hydras are still not very good in ZvT are they?
What about hydras in ZvZ, can they beat mutas?


Hydras are AMAZING vs Terran if Terran mechs (Roach Hydra Viper is near unbeatable for mech if pulled off correctly)
In ZvZ you have to go Mutas if you plan on not doing a 2base allin.
There is no way you will beat Mutas with Hydras, even in a straight army battle, wich should never happen if the Muta player is any good (assuming there are no infestors)
Also Infestors dont do much against a good Muta player anymore because it is very easy to dodge the fungal now.
For ZvZ i´d recommend 2 Base muta and then try to defend you 3rd for additional gass.
ZvZ is incredibly fast paced at the momend.
Not only do you need to keep your muta numbers and upgrades up (allways carapace!) but you need to find the right balance of Lings, banelings and ground upgrades to surpass your oponents ground army (when you have lings under a muta fight you have a huge advantage because some of the enemys glaves bounce on the Lings instead of your mutas)

Also there is a lot of counterattacking and multipronged herrass in ZvZ atm.
Overall i feel like its the most demanding matchup (at least when it comes to ZvX) but it can be a lot of fun ^^
L E E J A E D O N G ! <3
doggy
Profile Joined May 2010
Germany306 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-12-27 19:51:27
December 27 2012 19:51 GMT
#188
You did understand me wrong bro, i was arguing for vipers instead of curropters like you did, not the other way round :D
NonameAI
Profile Joined October 2012
127 Posts
December 27 2012 20:02 GMT
#189
How do i deal with a marine/tank timing with widow mines and 1-2 hellbats? This was hard enough to hold in WoL, when teh terran pushes in the late midgame with 2/2, but i cant handle it with the widow mines and the hellbats. Roach/hydra doesnt work cause viper is t3. I dont have enough units when i go fast hive. Swarm host is just terrible. Lings get facerolled by al the terran's stuff, and mutas dont work at all because of widow mine. I can't even harrass with them. Does anyone know how to hold this off?
blade55555
Profile Blog Joined March 2009
United States17423 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-12-27 20:55:03
December 27 2012 20:54 GMT
#190
On December 27 2012 18:22 Azoryen wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 27 2012 12:01 blade55555 wrote:
On December 27 2012 11:26 TheGreenMachine wrote:
On December 27 2012 10:06 Azoryen wrote:
I'd like to use a similar composition/gameplan for all my match-ups and I'm open to suggestions.
I'm a noob, so no need for super optimized builds, just something I can practice and repeat with small adaptations for each MU.
(This is HotS, of course, i don't see much point in learning WoL now.)

Also, I'd prefer to have some AA in that composition, so I'm thinking maybe:
- roach/hydra
- muta/ling/bane

What about lategame, can I go for same composition in every MU? Ultra/infestor maybe?
Thx.

zvz: I go 2 base 6-8muta (3rd starts shortly before muta pop) into 3 base 4 hatch roach with +1 and speed
zvt: hatch first into ~36 supply roach expand then 1/1 range armor ups into a 4 hatch 3 base hydra+roach 2/2 timing with viper lategame,
zvp: 3 base 8 muta into optional reactionary 8 more muta (+1 air attack regardless), then double evo into 4 base 5 hatch ling bling allin shortly before he gets storm done, vs person attempting phoenix vs muta going for 2/2 roach hydra timing

If you had to stick with one in all matchups id suggest roach hydra viper, infestor ling ultra, or muta ling bling
You could really do any of those depending on your playstyle. If you tend to throw away your army for no reason you could go with roach hydra, if you like to counter attack you could go muta ling bling.

Infestors are weaker than wol, ultras are stronger, hydras are stronger, vipers are awesome

i dont experiment much with swarm hosts but im sure theyre good too.


Ah infestors are arguably better then WoL infestors with 10 range and near instant projectile.

Also out of curiousity zvp why don't you go ultras? Muta/ling/bane into ultra so strong you should try it instead of trying to ling/bane all in xD

So mutas seem to be the most universal plan, you can do that every MU, right?
Hydras seem still too bad in some MU.
I'd rather learn how to use less units to full potential than to attempt to play with all of them.


Hm I go muta/ling/bane zvp half the time depending if he tries stargate play or not (some tosses try blind 2 stargate play to try and hard counter muta, so make sure you have an overseer scout).

I also do roach/hydra into ultralisk/ling/bane/viper as well zvp.

zvt I still think mutas suck really bad thanks to widow mines so I don't really make them, I might make a few but mainly as an anti drop then anything else.

zvz I have been messing around with going muta into swarmhost if they go infestors, but so far most people are still going mutas for the most part which works for me :D.

On December 28 2012 05:02 NonameAI wrote:
How do i deal with a marine/tank timing with widow mines and 1-2 hellbats? This was hard enough to hold in WoL, when teh terran pushes in the late midgame with 2/2, but i cant handle it with the widow mines and the hellbats. Roach/hydra doesnt work cause viper is t3. I dont have enough units when i go fast hive. Swarm host is just terrible. Lings get facerolled by al the terran's stuff, and mutas dont work at all because of widow mine. I can't even harrass with them. Does anyone know how to hold this off?


Need to do roach/ling/bane. I think I have vipers out when that 2/2 timing hits but I can't remember, I do get a really fast hive and with flanking roach/ling/bane will hold it pretty well.
When I think of something else, something will go here
gCgCrypto
Profile Joined December 2010
Germany297 Posts
December 27 2012 22:02 GMT
#191
On December 28 2012 04:51 doggy wrote:
You did understand me wrong bro, i was arguing for vipers instead of curropters like you did, not the other way round :D

I did understand you right, was just clarifying my point ^^
L E E J A E D O N G ! <3
syroz
Profile Joined September 2012
France249 Posts
December 27 2012 23:20 GMT
#192
How do u trade efficiently against skytoss? Very hard to deal with... Corruptor melt against new void ray and hydra/infest dont do the job late game imo.
blade55555
Profile Blog Joined March 2009
United States17423 Posts
December 27 2012 23:29 GMT
#193
On December 28 2012 08:20 syroz wrote:
How do u trade efficiently against skytoss? Very hard to deal with... Corruptor melt against new void ray and hydra/infest dont do the job late game imo.


You need to be aggressive. You can not let protoss get their killer late game air army or you lose.

You need to be denying expansions as long as possible, using hydra/corruptor to be aggressive if he is going mainly air to try and keep it down as low as possible.

If you give the protoss time to get his army of voidray/carrier/templar then you are dead (assuming he is on 4+ bases like you).

In short just be aggressive and try to prevent him from getting that army.

Think of it as opposite of WoL zvp where tosses try to kill zerg before they get their army, now we as zergs have to kill or cripple toss so they can't get their strong army.
When I think of something else, something will go here
rembrant
Profile Joined July 2012
62 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-12-27 23:38:01
December 27 2012 23:36 GMT
#194
On December 28 2012 03:44 Azoryen wrote:
Hmm, so some people think hydras are a safer option than mutas in ZvP.
However hydras are still not very good in ZvT are they?
What about hydras in ZvZ, can they beat mutas?


Eh, hydras are alright vs protoss but mutas are much more effective I think. Sure you can't always go muta but there is really a lot of ways to get them out. Like, obviously if protoss is 2base allinning you want to hold with roachling or whatever but that goes for any matchup really. If protoss opens stargate ill often open with a hydra den to try and force the protoss into colossus tech while I build my spire...if they go robo I go muta and if they keep making air I can go roach hydra corruptor.

Right now mutas are my go-to unit in every matchup, they're really quite great.
rembrant
Profile Joined July 2012
62 Posts
December 27 2012 23:40 GMT
#195
On December 28 2012 08:29 blade55555 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 28 2012 08:20 syroz wrote:
How do u trade efficiently against skytoss? Very hard to deal with... Corruptor melt against new void ray and hydra/infest dont do the job late game imo.


You need to be aggressive. You can not let protoss get their killer late game air army or you lose.

You need to be denying expansions as long as possible, using hydra/corruptor to be aggressive if he is going mainly air to try and keep it down as low as possible.

If you give the protoss time to get his army of voidray/carrier/templar then you are dead (assuming he is on 4+ bases like you).

In short just be aggressive and try to prevent him from getting that army.

Think of it as opposite of WoL zvp where tosses try to kill zerg before they get their army, now we as zergs have to kill or cripple toss so they can't get their strong army.


You're quite right, so far I've had no problem ever beating skytoss with a mostly hydra and corruptor army, just keep attacking and remaxing.
Azoryen
Profile Blog Joined May 2012
Portugal242 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-12-28 09:26:12
December 28 2012 09:22 GMT
#196
On December 28 2012 05:54 blade55555 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 27 2012 18:22 Azoryen wrote:
On December 27 2012 12:01 blade55555 wrote:
On December 27 2012 11:26 TheGreenMachine wrote:
On December 27 2012 10:06 Azoryen wrote:
I'd like to use a similar composition/gameplan for all my match-ups and I'm open to suggestions.
I'm a noob, so no need for super optimized builds, just something I can practice and repeat with small adaptations for each MU.
(This is HotS, of course, i don't see much point in learning WoL now.)

Also, I'd prefer to have some AA in that composition, so I'm thinking maybe:
- roach/hydra
- muta/ling/bane

What about lategame, can I go for same composition in every MU? Ultra/infestor maybe?
Thx.

zvz: I go 2 base 6-8muta (3rd starts shortly before muta pop) into 3 base 4 hatch roach with +1 and speed
zvt: hatch first into ~36 supply roach expand then 1/1 range armor ups into a 4 hatch 3 base hydra+roach 2/2 timing with viper lategame,
zvp: 3 base 8 muta into optional reactionary 8 more muta (+1 air attack regardless), then double evo into 4 base 5 hatch ling bling allin shortly before he gets storm done, vs person attempting phoenix vs muta going for 2/2 roach hydra timing

If you had to stick with one in all matchups id suggest roach hydra viper, infestor ling ultra, or muta ling bling
You could really do any of those depending on your playstyle. If you tend to throw away your army for no reason you could go with roach hydra, if you like to counter attack you could go muta ling bling.

Infestors are weaker than wol, ultras are stronger, hydras are stronger, vipers are awesome

i dont experiment much with swarm hosts but im sure theyre good too.


Ah infestors are arguably better then WoL infestors with 10 range and near instant projectile.

Also out of curiousity zvp why don't you go ultras? Muta/ling/bane into ultra so strong you should try it instead of trying to ling/bane all in xD

So mutas seem to be the most universal plan, you can do that every MU, right?
Hydras seem still too bad in some MU.
I'd rather learn how to use less units to full potential than to attempt to play with all of them.


Hm I go muta/ling/bane zvp half the time depending if he tries stargate play or not (some tosses try blind 2 stargate play to try and hard counter muta, so make sure you have an overseer scout).

I also do roach/hydra into ultralisk/ling/bane/viper as well zvp.

zvt I still think mutas suck really bad thanks to widow mines so I don't really make them, I might make a few but mainly as an anti drop then anything else.

zvz I have been messing around with going muta into swarmhost if they go infestors, but so far most people are still going mutas for the most part which works for me :D.


So let me try to summarize all the great inputs.
ZvP you can go muta in some scenarios, but not all (e.g. vs stargate builds). You can go roach/hydra in any case, so if I want a similar build/plan for the entire MU, this is the best option. Ultra/bane/viper is a good lategame composition in either case.
Question: if I you go roach/hydra should I get any range upgrades?

ZvT roach/hydra vs mech adding viper later.
Vs bio I suppose ling/bane->infestor/ultra?

ZvZ muta rules atm.
blade55555
Profile Blog Joined March 2009
United States17423 Posts
December 28 2012 09:34 GMT
#197
On December 28 2012 18:22 Azoryen wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 28 2012 05:54 blade55555 wrote:
On December 27 2012 18:22 Azoryen wrote:
On December 27 2012 12:01 blade55555 wrote:
On December 27 2012 11:26 TheGreenMachine wrote:
On December 27 2012 10:06 Azoryen wrote:
I'd like to use a similar composition/gameplan for all my match-ups and I'm open to suggestions.
I'm a noob, so no need for super optimized builds, just something I can practice and repeat with small adaptations for each MU.
(This is HotS, of course, i don't see much point in learning WoL now.)

Also, I'd prefer to have some AA in that composition, so I'm thinking maybe:
- roach/hydra
- muta/ling/bane

What about lategame, can I go for same composition in every MU? Ultra/infestor maybe?
Thx.

zvz: I go 2 base 6-8muta (3rd starts shortly before muta pop) into 3 base 4 hatch roach with +1 and speed
zvt: hatch first into ~36 supply roach expand then 1/1 range armor ups into a 4 hatch 3 base hydra+roach 2/2 timing with viper lategame,
zvp: 3 base 8 muta into optional reactionary 8 more muta (+1 air attack regardless), then double evo into 4 base 5 hatch ling bling allin shortly before he gets storm done, vs person attempting phoenix vs muta going for 2/2 roach hydra timing

If you had to stick with one in all matchups id suggest roach hydra viper, infestor ling ultra, or muta ling bling
You could really do any of those depending on your playstyle. If you tend to throw away your army for no reason you could go with roach hydra, if you like to counter attack you could go muta ling bling.

Infestors are weaker than wol, ultras are stronger, hydras are stronger, vipers are awesome

i dont experiment much with swarm hosts but im sure theyre good too.


Ah infestors are arguably better then WoL infestors with 10 range and near instant projectile.

Also out of curiousity zvp why don't you go ultras? Muta/ling/bane into ultra so strong you should try it instead of trying to ling/bane all in xD

So mutas seem to be the most universal plan, you can do that every MU, right?
Hydras seem still too bad in some MU.
I'd rather learn how to use less units to full potential than to attempt to play with all of them.


Hm I go muta/ling/bane zvp half the time depending if he tries stargate play or not (some tosses try blind 2 stargate play to try and hard counter muta, so make sure you have an overseer scout).

I also do roach/hydra into ultralisk/ling/bane/viper as well zvp.

zvt I still think mutas suck really bad thanks to widow mines so I don't really make them, I might make a few but mainly as an anti drop then anything else.

zvz I have been messing around with going muta into swarmhost if they go infestors, but so far most people are still going mutas for the most part which works for me :D.


So let me try to summarize all the great inputs.
ZvP you can go muta in some scenarios, but not all (e.g. vs stargate builds). You can go roach/hydra in any case, so if I want a similar build/plan for the entire MU, this is the best option. Ultra/bane/viper is a good lategame composition in either case.
Question: if I you go roach/hydra should I get any range upgrades?

ZvT roach/hydra vs mech adding viper later.
Vs bio I suppose ling/bane->infestor/ultra?

ZvZ muta rules atm.


I don't get the ranged attack upgrade, I do get the hydra upgrades though.

Also zvz infestors are as good possibly better then wol infestors and I am players not going mutas again cause infestors so good T_T. But luckily I still get mainly muta wars :D
When I think of something else, something will go here
doggy
Profile Joined May 2010
Germany306 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-12-28 12:26:22
December 28 2012 12:21 GMT
#198
I dont feel like the infestor is stronger in zvz, at least not vs mutas. The projectile seems very balanced to me vs mutas (you also need to think of the new mutaspeed). As soon as i see an infestor i have time to instantly pull back, you can also do very well regards harassing by splitting up your mutas in tinier groups.
It also helps to get banespeed imo, if he really gets your mutas fungalled and wastes all his energy you can kill his entire eco or/and his infestors with ling bling rolling in to all bases.
He needs fungal to stop the banes, for that he cant just spend everything on those mutas. Its really amazing to me how much attacking advantage you have with zvz speed blings due the creep in your opponents base. Makes it so unbelieveable hard to defend multiprong ling bling muta attacks

I have played like 5-10 games vs decent opponent who didnt play muta too, so i may be wrong. Thats just the experience i got so far
gCgCrypto
Profile Joined December 2010
Germany297 Posts
December 28 2012 13:05 GMT
#199
On December 28 2012 18:22 Azoryen wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 28 2012 05:54 blade55555 wrote:
On December 27 2012 18:22 Azoryen wrote:
On December 27 2012 12:01 blade55555 wrote:
On December 27 2012 11:26 TheGreenMachine wrote:
On December 27 2012 10:06 Azoryen wrote:
I'd like to use a similar composition/gameplan for all my match-ups and I'm open to suggestions.
I'm a noob, so no need for super optimized builds, just something I can practice and repeat with small adaptations for each MU.
(This is HotS, of course, i don't see much point in learning WoL now.)

Also, I'd prefer to have some AA in that composition, so I'm thinking maybe:
- roach/hydra
- muta/ling/bane

What about lategame, can I go for same composition in every MU? Ultra/infestor maybe?
Thx.

zvz: I go 2 base 6-8muta (3rd starts shortly before muta pop) into 3 base 4 hatch roach with +1 and speed
zvt: hatch first into ~36 supply roach expand then 1/1 range armor ups into a 4 hatch 3 base hydra+roach 2/2 timing with viper lategame,
zvp: 3 base 8 muta into optional reactionary 8 more muta (+1 air attack regardless), then double evo into 4 base 5 hatch ling bling allin shortly before he gets storm done, vs person attempting phoenix vs muta going for 2/2 roach hydra timing

If you had to stick with one in all matchups id suggest roach hydra viper, infestor ling ultra, or muta ling bling
You could really do any of those depending on your playstyle. If you tend to throw away your army for no reason you could go with roach hydra, if you like to counter attack you could go muta ling bling.

Infestors are weaker than wol, ultras are stronger, hydras are stronger, vipers are awesome

i dont experiment much with swarm hosts but im sure theyre good too.


Ah infestors are arguably better then WoL infestors with 10 range and near instant projectile.

Also out of curiousity zvp why don't you go ultras? Muta/ling/bane into ultra so strong you should try it instead of trying to ling/bane all in xD

So mutas seem to be the most universal plan, you can do that every MU, right?
Hydras seem still too bad in some MU.
I'd rather learn how to use less units to full potential than to attempt to play with all of them.


Hm I go muta/ling/bane zvp half the time depending if he tries stargate play or not (some tosses try blind 2 stargate play to try and hard counter muta, so make sure you have an overseer scout).

I also do roach/hydra into ultralisk/ling/bane/viper as well zvp.

zvt I still think mutas suck really bad thanks to widow mines so I don't really make them, I might make a few but mainly as an anti drop then anything else.

zvz I have been messing around with going muta into swarmhost if they go infestors, but so far most people are still going mutas for the most part which works for me :D.


So let me try to summarize all the great inputs.
ZvP you can go muta in some scenarios, but not all (e.g. vs stargate builds). You can go roach/hydra in any case, so if I want a similar build/plan for the entire MU, this is the best option. Ultra/bane/viper is a good lategame composition in either case.
Question: if I you go roach/hydra should I get any range upgrades?

ZvT roach/hydra vs mech adding viper later.
Vs bio I suppose ling/bane->infestor/ultra?

ZvZ muta rules atm.


I allways get 3/3 for my roaches and Hydras in ZvP because i like to have some (especially) Hydras in my composition and Roach hydra is allways a good remax composition if you managed to kill all the high tech Protoss units and he is flooding you with stalkers.
Thats also my way to go vs Skytoss if i didnt manage to kill kim inbefore.
Max on Corrupters and kill off all the Air and colossi (while loosing my corrupters) and then remax with roach hydra while spines hold mach his stalkers.

For ZvT i feel like you really NEED to go muta first, if not you get demolished by Drops with the new medivac.
Its really unlikely to catch a medivac with fungal nowadays, if the Terran player pays attention. Same for Hydras.
If you fear widdow mines, thats what doggy tought me ^^, keep a overseer with your mutas and 10 mutas can kill the mine before it shoots.
The rest about ZvT what you summarized is correct. Muta ling bane into Ultra ling bane viper is my way to go (with the leftover mutas to kill off medivacs and vikings)
L E E J A E D O N G ! <3
everdrone
Profile Joined June 2011
Russian Federation22 Posts
December 28 2012 14:09 GMT
#200
how can zerg beat reapers + mines?
terran just opens with 1 rax reaper + factory and 2nd gas, then he adds 2 more rax, making speed for reapers and +2 CC
so he have like 8-10 speed reapers and some mines, and zerg must build 3-4 roaches per base and 1 spine, or he will lose tons of workers, cuz reapers are really fast + they have heal, but when you build 8 early roaches and don't attack with them, you already economically behind
and finally mines don't let you take 3rd, cuz you can't move out of natural, so there is no way to allin him, and mutas also doesn't work, because if you will go mutas, you should skip roaches and then reapers will kill a lot of workers, and mines can counter muta really easy
Prev 1 8 9 10 11 12 27 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Replay Cast
08:00
Continental Nation League S1
CranKy Ducklings90
Liquipedia
BSL Open Qualifier
04:00
Jungsu & Hasu #2
ZZZero.O137
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
SpeCial 169
StarCraft: Brood War
Artosis 978
ZZZero.O 137
Bale 20
ajuk12(nOOB) 8
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm189
League of Legends
Doublelift4530
Counter-Strike
minikerr13
Other Games
summit1g10596
JimRising 716
C9.Mang0275
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick1190
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream32
[ Show 9 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• CranKy Ducklings SOOP103
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Upcoming Events
Afreeca Starleague
9h 36m
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
10h 36m
Monday Night Weeklies
15h 36m
Replay Cast
22h 36m
Afreeca Starleague
1d 9h
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
1d 10h
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
1d 23h
The PondCast
3 days
INu's Battles
3 days
Replay Cast
4 days
[ Show More ]
BSL: Ladder Tournament
5 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6 days
Patches Events
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
Copium Cup
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.