• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 07:02
CEST 13:02
KST 20:02
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon111
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16)
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder Where can I find Flash replays that work? a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing Official StarCraft website teases new content ahead of BlizzCon? BW General Discussion
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine All you football fans (soccer)! Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8447 users

The Space Whales Solution to TvZ (WIP) - Page 6

Forum Index > StarCraft 2 Strategy
Post a Reply
Prev 1 4 5 6 7 Next All
Black[CAT]
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
Malaysia2589 Posts
July 21 2012 08:28 GMT
#101
Currently I only use bio only TvZ with Ravens for lategame like the old skool SK terran, but this is really interesting.
You mean ESPORTS isnt a synonym for SC2? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ -Proud owner of a Filco Majestouch 2 with Cherry Blue Switches- BW or SC2? Why not both?
straycat
Profile Blog Joined May 2011
230 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-07-21 09:13:43
July 21 2012 09:10 GMT
#102
Wow, I think I faced this on ladder mb a week ago. I didn't feel that it was very intimidating though, as it seemed that a group of speedlings could stop it from realizing its potential pretty easily. The part on having to be a masters player makes sense.

Btw: Space... Whales? Where did the whales come from?
Plexa
Profile Blog Joined October 2005
Aotearoa39261 Posts
July 21 2012 09:44 GMT
#103
Interesting, I'm not a Terran so I can't test it. Would like to see some input from semipro-ish players.
Administrator~ Spirit will set you free ~
Toastie.NL
Profile Joined July 2012
Netherlands232 Posts
July 21 2012 09:55 GMT
#104
On July 21 2012 18:10 straycat wrote:
Wow, I think I faced this on ladder mb a week ago. I didn't feel that it was very intimidating though, as it seemed that a group of speedlings could stop it from realizing its potential pretty easily. The part on having to be a masters player makes sense.

Btw: Space... Whales? Where did the whales come from?

the OPs Name :-)
WhalesFromSpace
EU Random Player - Contact me for anything :-)!
Toastie.NL
Profile Joined July 2012
Netherlands232 Posts
July 21 2012 09:56 GMT
#105
On July 21 2012 18:44 Plexa wrote:
Interesting, I'm not a Terran so I can't test it. Would like to see some input from semipro-ish players.

I'd love to see some really good micro players handle this!
EU Random Player - Contact me for anything :-)!
WhalesFromSpace
Profile Joined March 2012
390 Posts
July 21 2012 09:56 GMT
#106
On July 21 2012 18:44 Plexa wrote:
Interesting, I'm not a Terran so I can't test it. Would like to see some input from semipro-ish players.

I would like to see such input too. I have some replays and build orders from other high masters players who have been messaging me since the release of this guide. I am looking to test their variations and potentially create similar graphics for such variations. This probably won't be complete until I get the SWSS out of the way.

When the build was worse, Pokebunny went over it on his stream: He is the one who suggested the 3rd CC before adding additional barracks
Nihility
tsango
Profile Joined July 2011
Australia214 Posts
July 21 2012 12:28 GMT
#107
really smart man, gives reapers high ground vision which was always slightly problematic with speedlings or roaches in position and it heals them and lets you pick up. With nitropacks there really is no good zerg counter to 8 reapers untill they get mutalisks, which with good harasment on geysers + drones+ 3rd base can be delayed quite a bit

Gold Star for you
If you dont like something, then that should be reason enough to try and change it
Pokebunny
Profile Blog Joined June 2008
United States10654 Posts
July 21 2012 13:43 GMT
#108
I think the frequency of 4-6 queen simply shuts down reapers too hard, and I don't exactly trust this to hold allins either. This is just my gut feeling though.
Semipro Terran player | Pokebunny#1710 | twitter.com/Pokebunny | twitch.tv/Pokebunny | facebook.com/PokebunnySC
zmansman17
Profile Joined March 2011
United States2567 Posts
July 21 2012 14:44 GMT
#109
On July 13 2012 12:24 tehemperorer wrote:
Wow what a guide man I don't even play Terran and tI feel like I can win some!


Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but although this is a new and shiny build, it isn't some magic bullet. In my opinion, it's not necessarily even better than a lot of what we currently have in TvZ. I actually open reaper FE in TvZ and have done so for a while and experimented with mass reaper openers. A good player will drop a roach warren and produce just a few roaches at each base and there goes your attack. Meanwhile they can mass drone behind it as well, while taking a third
♞ - His EKG is flattening get me a defib stat! Prepped and Ready! - ♞
Nightsz
Profile Blog Joined February 2011
Canada398 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-07-21 15:15:31
July 21 2012 15:09 GMT
#110
I've tried this build, and I can only say.. mass speedlings shut this down so hard. =/

I feel like in the current map pool. This is only good for shakuras and taldarim altar. But thats about it. If shattered temple was still in, this build would be amazing
Kmatt
Profile Joined July 2011
United States1019 Posts
July 21 2012 16:00 GMT
#111
As a Zerg player, I'm actually surprised it took this long for someone to try and develop reaper play. Being that they efficiently kill off spine crawlers_and_zerglings, these big reaper plays basically force you to turtle and try to get up an infestation pit, and it's another 80 seconds until fungal growth is available. Good write up. I like the addition of the viking and medivac, they really seal the deal.
We CAN have nice things
Clarity_nl
Profile Joined November 2011
Netherlands6826 Posts
July 21 2012 17:06 GMT
#112
On July 21 2012 18:10 straycat wrote:
Wow, I think I faced this on ladder mb a week ago. I didn't feel that it was very intimidating though, as it seemed that a group of speedlings could stop it from realizing its potential pretty easily. The part on having to be a masters player makes sense.

Btw: Space... Whales? Where did the whales come from?


This should hit before speed unless you opened with gas, in which case T prob should avoid doing this build.
FIGHT THE GOOD FIGHT AGAINST STUPIDITY CLARITY, I BELIEVE IN YOU! - Palmar
The_Unseen
Profile Joined March 2011
France1923 Posts
July 21 2012 20:51 GMT
#113
On July 22 2012 00:09 Nightsz wrote:
I've tried this build, and I can only say.. mass speedlings shut this down so hard. =/

I feel like in the current map pool. This is only good for shakuras and taldarim altar. But thats about it. If shattered temple was still in, this build would be amazing


I don't know about your micro man, but I'm pretty bad and I still rape mass ling with that... You have a medivac !
I got five reasons for you to shut up
iky43210
Profile Blog Joined May 2011
United States2099 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-07-23 22:17:30
July 23 2012 22:15 GMT
#114
after playing around for a bit, expo before rax definitely feels alot better. You'll have a huge economy following it up, and you'll get about just as many reapers and medivacs around 7 minute timing due to how cheap reaper is mineral wise, so you can get that early 3rd gas.

Zealos
Profile Blog Joined November 2011
United Kingdom3576 Posts
July 25 2012 00:11 GMT
#115
Gosh, love the idea of the build, but MUCH too hard for me to pull off
On the internet if you disagree with or dislike something you're angry and taking it too seriously. == Join TLMafia !
TheWisp
Profile Joined July 2012
45 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-07-25 14:00:15
July 25 2012 14:00 GMT
#116
I have just won a diamond zerg on shakuras. He was so greedy on economy :D
I lost 0 unit until killed 61 units, wow!

Replay
http://drop.sc/227559
WhalesFromSpace
Profile Joined March 2012
390 Posts
August 20 2012 20:49 GMT
#117
On July 21 2012 22:43 Pokebunny wrote:
I think the frequency of 4-6 queen simply shuts down reapers too hard, and I don't exactly trust this to hold allins either. This is just my gut feeling though.

I am doing much better holding roach bane with this than other things like hellion//banshee (could be because I suck at that though). Baneling bust is hard though and required catching wind of it out on the map. 4 queen opener and I am licking my chops because the speed is later and they often quadruple gas and I can catch the zerg teching.
Nihility
WhalesFromSpace
Profile Joined March 2012
390 Posts
August 20 2012 20:51 GMT
#118
Added 3 new replays, including a couple vs stronger opponents!
This is best one for the opener I think: http://drop.sc/241472
Nihility
TheGreenMachine
Profile Joined March 2010
United States730 Posts
August 20 2012 21:16 GMT
#119
The effort put forth in this thread is damn impressive. The video and charts sold me already. The build itself looks very micro intensive which leaves room for high skill cap which is great for future sc2
Don't forget to get everyone you know to play HOTS so this game we love called Starcraft will live on. Every little bit helps. ^^
WhalesFromSpace
Profile Joined March 2012
390 Posts
September 07 2012 06:29 GMT
#120
Here is a new replay where the reapers are shut down, and the Zerg is allowed to take a 3rd. Keep in mind that the investment required for him to hold off the reapers results in us having similar drone counts. I think he is a slow player so I am not sure if there is a chance to be busted at the front when the muta pop (with ling/bling/muta). My marine count was a bit lower than what seems safe so I think I need to either make some hellions or keep the reapers alive.
http://drop.sc/248079
Nihility
Prev 1 4 5 6 7 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Kung Fu Cup
11:00
2026 Week 25
WardiTV64
Rex38
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
Lowko224
ProTech144
Rex 38
StarCraft: Brood War
actioN 648
Soma 584
Jaedong 553
Hyuk 463
Soulkey 390
Horang2 367
BeSt 301
910 227
Light 205
Stork 197
[ Show more ]
Mini 177
EffOrt 168
Snow 165
Britney 137
Larva 121
Pusan 116
Last 113
ZerO 113
ggaemo 78
Rush 63
Mind 58
Shinee 46
Killer 45
Creator 41
Mong 37
Yoon 36
Bale 25
hero 22
Sharp 19
Noble 14
yabsab 14
sorry 14
Sacsri 10
Dota 2
Gorgc6542
XcaliburYe168
Counter-Strike
olofmeister1398
pashabiceps893
Heroes of the Storm
crisheroes2610
Khaldor819
Other Games
gofns39505
singsing1466
XBOCT290
Pyrionflax257
DeMusliM185
Mew2King93
B2W.Neo59
ArmadaUGS49
ZerO(Twitch)8
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream164
[ Show 13 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Berry_CruncH307
• StrangeGG 41
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• iopq 10
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Jankos1410
Other Games
• WagamamaTV183
Upcoming Events
Stellar Fest
1h 58m
The PondCast
22h 58m
OSC
1d 1h
Stellar Fest
1d 1h
OSC
1d 12h
Stellar Fest
2 days
CranKy Ducklings
2 days
Online Event
2 days
FEL
3 days
AI Arena Tournament
3 days
[ Show More ]
BSL: Ladder Tournament
3 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
3 days
INu's Battles
4 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
Replay Cast
4 days
WardiTV Weekly
4 days
Replay Cast
5 days
INu's Battles
5 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.