• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 22:53
CEST 04:53
KST 11:53
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon111
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16)
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing Official StarCraft website teases new content ahead of BlizzCon? Bot on ladder Where can I find Flash replays that work? BW General Discussion
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine All you football fans (soccer)! Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7409 users

The Space Whales Solution to TvZ (WIP) - Page 7

Forum Index > StarCraft 2 Strategy
Post a Reply
Prev 1 5 6 7 All
padfoota
Profile Blog Joined February 2011
Taiwan1571 Posts
September 07 2012 07:37 GMT
#121
You have the most fucked up hotkeys I have ever seen lol. Building unit building unit building building

Still watching, quite interesting.
Stop procrastinating
fezvez
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
France3021 Posts
September 07 2012 09:02 GMT
#122
Wow. Just wow.

I have watched the replay on Xel'Naga. It's impressive how much badmouth you use while doing this cool strat. I mean, how can you expect people to concentrate on your game while you say "fuck you" and offensive gg your opponent?

It's still a cool strat, but man up...
WhalesFromSpace
Profile Joined March 2012
390 Posts
September 08 2012 11:30 GMT
#123
On September 07 2012 18:02 fezvez wrote:
Wow. Just wow.

I have watched the replay on Xel'Naga. It's impressive how much badmouth you use while doing this cool strat. I mean, how can you expect people to concentrate on your game while you say "fuck you" and offensive gg your opponent?

It's still a cool strat, but man up...


That was Shakuras. I was really really mad at zerg: It isn't personal BM. Yeah probably a douchey thing to do, but it is war mother fucker.
Nihility
WhalesFromSpace
Profile Joined March 2012
390 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-09-08 11:31:34
September 08 2012 11:31 GMT
#124
On September 07 2012 16:37 padfoota wrote:
You have the most fucked up hotkeys I have ever seen lol. Building unit building unit building building

Still watching, quite interesting.


I have often reconsidered revising my layout, but I am used to it now.
Nihility
LionsFist
Profile Joined April 2010
Australia164 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-09-08 14:20:12
September 08 2012 12:16 GMT
#125
I love this style personally. Just feels like what a strong strat should, flows from one aspect clearly into another.

An interesting difference I noticed you could have made (going off your Shakuras replay here). After your first medivac, you didn't follow up with anything for another 2 minutes when you threw down your reactor. I'm sure that's just an error in execution, but I had a thought given how the scenario turns out at the time your initial reaper/medivac harass gets turned back...

Throw down a tech lab as soon as the medivac finishes, get a raven out second, deny creep spread completely. It should delay your 1/1 only a little bit, or else you could take your expo gasses slightly faster too and still get it out!

Ooo and the raven also gives you a PDD at around 11 minutes when the first mutas are going to be out... Could align with another push nicely there. Or if you've crippled them from before, you can go in with PDD and reapers and giggle at the queens ;P
Theseus X
Profile Joined January 2011
United States6 Posts
September 08 2012 12:51 GMT
#126
Yeah idk this seems flimsy to me.. roach openings are quite common bc of hellion/banshee... as well as 6 queens.. which would poop on this imo.. idk about HOTS yet but as a zerg player i love to see reapers bc its resources not invested in something useful.. but i guess your post says greedy zergs so i guess it would makes sense.. but queens are too good to bank on him not having any
HoLe
Profile Joined August 2012
Canada183 Posts
September 08 2012 12:58 GMT
#127
New AAL Drummer Matt Gartska!

Relevant to spacewhales' video!


Terran.
DKR
Profile Blog Joined June 2011
United Kingdom622 Posts
September 08 2012 13:13 GMT
#128
Most effort into a guide ever, great stuff; it's not game breaking just another opener to add to 'the meta game'.
"1 base. Cheese man." - MKP. "[MVP] is not stylistic, his style is winning, which is the style you want to have." - Artosis
LionsFist
Profile Joined April 2010
Australia164 Posts
September 08 2012 13:32 GMT
#129
On September 08 2012 21:51 Theseus X wrote:
Yeah idk this seems flimsy to me.. roach openings are quite common bc of hellion/banshee... as well as 6 queens.. which would poop on this imo.. idk about HOTS yet but as a zerg player i love to see reapers bc its resources not invested in something useful.. but i guess your post says greedy zergs so i guess it would makes sense.. but queens are too good to bank on him not having any


Strange, I see the opening as being quite good against roach openings. You gain map control from the reapers, and have up the 3 tech lab raxx ready to transition hard if you see them trying to pressure or push out. Even in base, slow roaches vs speed reapers with a medivac for lift-micro and sustain...

As for 6 queens, well again, you deny one of the strengths of the build: creep spread and map control.

A big benefit I also just noticed, if the zerg is going 4 queen, your first reaper arrives when zerg takes his gases. His speed is severely delayed, giving you approximately a 1 to 1:30 opening where you have speed reapers and they don't have speedlings.

If they're going 6 queen, you can see with your first reaper no gas and have an even bigger window to exploit...
Sbrubbles
Profile Joined October 2010
Brazil5776 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-09-08 14:40:15
September 08 2012 14:37 GMT
#130
This seems like a very cool build. Reapers + medivac = infinite mobility. Looks as if this would be insta-win on maps with some good cliffs to abuse against zergs who completely refuse to make roaches.
Bora Pain minha porra!
Theseus X
Profile Joined January 2011
United States6 Posts
September 08 2012 16:17 GMT
#131
Strange, I see the opening as being quite good against roach openings. You gain map control from the reapers, and have up the 3 tech lab raxx ready to transition hard if you see them trying to pressure or push out. Even in base, slow roaches vs speed reapers with a medivac for lift-micro and sustain...

hmm the roaches are for 3 bases alone.. obviously any smart zerg player is not going to keep making roaches unless they see mech so your point is invalid.. no one follows up with more roaches if they see bio period.

if you have 6 queens you slow down creep spread yeah.. but there are still 4 queens spreading creep last time i checked thats pretty affective .

as far as not having zergling speed if they go for a 4 queen build.. they are going to be on 2 base tech longer and its hard for terran to do damage with reapers on a 2 base zerg with 4 queens
Theseus X
Profile Joined January 2011
United States6 Posts
September 08 2012 16:18 GMT
#132
and roach ling can deal with any bio mech push that comes to try and deny a third or something.. and the push would only be weaker bc you have like 6 reapers
WhalesFromSpace
Profile Joined March 2012
390 Posts
September 09 2012 10:37 GMT
#133
On September 08 2012 21:16 LionsFist wrote:
I love this style personally. Just feels like what a strong strat should, flows from one aspect clearly into another.

An interesting difference I noticed you could have made (going off your Shakuras replay here). After your first medivac, you didn't follow up with anything for another 2 minutes when you threw down your reactor. I'm sure that's just an error in execution, but I had a thought given how the scenario turns out at the time your initial reaper/medivac harass gets turned back...

Throw down a tech lab as soon as the medivac finishes, get a raven out second, deny creep spread completely. It should delay your 1/1 only a little bit, or else you could take your expo gasses slightly faster too and still get it out!

Ooo and the raven also gives you a PDD at around 11 minutes when the first mutas are going to be out... Could align with another push nicely there. Or if you've crippled them from before, you can go in with PDD and reapers and giggle at the queens ;P


I am supposed to get a viking when the medi finishes, and then the reactor after the viking. The raven sounds like a cool idea but I think the reapers can clean up all the frontal creep with a well placed scan, as you mentioned the gas dump delays things like 1/1. I would also have to wait for the pdd to be ready and by that time zerg will likely have the capacity to defend easily on 2 bases.


On September 08 2012 21:51 Theseus X wrote:
Yeah idk this seems flimsy to me.. roach openings are quite common bc of hellion/banshee... as well as 6 queens.. which would poop on this imo.. idk about HOTS yet but as a zerg player i love to see reapers bc its resources not invested in something useful.. but i guess your post says greedy zergs so i guess it would makes sense.. but queens are too good to bank on him not having any



With the 3 tech labs, the roach openers can be stopped if scouted. It is a reason I often expand on the high ground if I see gas from zerg. I feel like transitioning straight to a double drop while trying to deny the zerg 3rd with whatever initial reapers you produced is an adequate response.

In regards to 6 queens; they are able to defend this opener, but not without strong control from the zerg. If they queens are caught in groups of 2 or less you can pick them off. It is also strong to snipe extractors since they are delaying tech. Use the reapers to deny their 3rd while taking yours in base, and keep the creep down: I feel like it plays out without terran being at a significant disadvantage.

I agree that the build is flimsy so you can't get caught of guard by anything, and if the 3rd manages to construct then defensive roaches are a strong option; I feel well equipped to deal with aggressive ones though.


On September 08 2012 22:32 LionsFist wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 08 2012 21:51 Theseus X wrote:
Yeah idk this seems flimsy to me.. roach openings are quite common bc of hellion/banshee... as well as 6 queens.. which would poop on this imo.. idk about HOTS yet but as a zerg player i love to see reapers bc its resources not invested in something useful.. but i guess your post says greedy zergs so i guess it would makes sense.. but queens are too good to bank on him not having any


Strange, I see the opening as being quite good against roach openings. You gain map control from the reapers, and have up the 3 tech lab raxx ready to transition hard if you see them trying to pressure or push out. Even in base, slow roaches vs speed reapers with a medivac for lift-micro and sustain...

As for 6 queens, well again, you deny one of the strengths of the build: creep spread and map control.

A big benefit I also just noticed, if the zerg is going 4 queen, your first reaper arrives when zerg takes his gases. His speed is severely delayed, giving you approximately a 1 to 1:30 opening where you have speed reapers and they don't have speedlings.

If they're going 6 queen, you can see with your first reaper no gas and have an even bigger window to exploit...


Lots of damage occurs against the 4 queens, especially if they are isolated


On September 09 2012 01:18 Theseus X wrote:
and roach ling can deal with any bio mech push that comes to try and deny a third or something.. and the push would only be weaker bc you have like 6 reapers


I use the reapers to deny the 3rd until zerg commits to a lair tech on 2 bases (ie: infestation pit, spire, roach/speed bling bust). If the zerg has established a 3rd on ling/roach, I don't push frontally, but instead drop as I factory transition and take my own 3rd. Not an ideal scenario, but its something that still offers the potential to control the pace.
Nihility
Justin-Sane
Profile Joined September 2012
7 Posts
September 10 2012 12:16 GMT
#134
Been lurking around Team Liquid for a long time, and finally now made an account to thank you for this!

I used this against a guy on ladder. When he scouted my fast double gas and tech lab on barracks he was thinking I was going banshees. When he saw my reapers + medivac move out he paused the game and went like:

"Ok, are you telling me..
I'm preparing for banshees..
And you come at me with reapers and a medivac?
I don't even have speed yet..
This isn't even fair..
Ok, here we go.."

I found that quite hilarious!
moskonia
Profile Joined January 2011
Israel1448 Posts
September 10 2012 13:13 GMT
#135
I really wonder how will this go in HotS, I think Blizzard looked at this build when they thought of the reaper self heal, since while you wont be able to attack buildings, this build should come a lot faster since no medivac is needed and reapers produce a tiny bit faster. If you get a beta pass you should definitely try to make something happen with this build at HotS :D even though I am sure it will take some effort to figure out the new timings, the build should be stronger
iNViCiOUZ
Profile Joined January 2011
Germany364 Posts
September 10 2012 15:08 GMT
#136
On September 10 2012 22:13 moskonia wrote:
I really wonder how will this go in HotS, I think Blizzard looked at this build when they thought of the reaper self heal, since while you wont be able to attack buildings, this build should come a lot faster since no medivac is needed and reapers produce a tiny bit faster. If you get a beta pass you should definitely try to make something happen with this build at HotS :D even though I am sure it will take some effort to figure out the new timings, the build should be stronger


Actually it isn't a buff. Reapers heal only out of combat so you need the medivac to fight queens. Medivac is also better to get the reapers in position. (for example behind the mineral line)
Also Hots reapers don't have the damage bonus vs buildings. So you can't deny the 3rd that fast and that's a pretty big nerf for this build.
WhalesFromSpace
Profile Joined March 2012
390 Posts
September 11 2012 12:04 GMT
#137
On September 11 2012 00:08 iNViCiOUZ wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 10 2012 22:13 moskonia wrote:
I really wonder how will this go in HotS, I think Blizzard looked at this build when they thought of the reaper self heal, since while you wont be able to attack buildings, this build should come a lot faster since no medivac is needed and reapers produce a tiny bit faster. If you get a beta pass you should definitely try to make something happen with this build at HotS :D even though I am sure it will take some effort to figure out the new timings, the build should be stronger


Actually it isn't a buff. Reapers heal only out of combat so you need the medivac to fight queens. Medivac is also better to get the reapers in position. (for example behind the mineral line)
Also Hots reapers don't have the damage bonus vs buildings. So you can't deny the 3rd that fast and that's a pretty big nerf for this build.


Yes, I have had some beta access (about 50 games), and this build is really bad because of not having the building attack. If I were to not use a medivac, they can just kill it with lings or roaches. Really a lot of the damage threat came from sniping extractors and tech structures, and as you mentioned denying the 3rd. Remember the building attack nerf also makes it such that I cannot kill creep so efficiently. Do note that regeneration at least lets me scout more with the initial reapers. Overall I probably won't be using this in HOTS though unless they change up the reaper. Reapers and ghosts are my favourite units but are much worse in HOTS
Nihility
WhalesFromSpace
Profile Joined March 2012
390 Posts
September 11 2012 12:05 GMT
#138
On September 10 2012 21:16 Justin-Sane wrote:
Been lurking around Team Liquid for a long time, and finally now made an account to thank you for this!

I used this against a guy on ladder. When he scouted my fast double gas and tech lab on barracks he was thinking I was going banshees. When he saw my reapers + medivac move out he paused the game and went like:

"Ok, are you telling me..
I'm preparing for banshees..
And you come at me with reapers and a medivac?
I don't even have speed yet..
This isn't even fair..
Ok, here we go.."

I found that quite hilarious!


Haha that is a great story. I too have been catching the zerg without speed from time to time; a lot of these guys aren't sacrificing overlords until too late :D
Nihility
WhalesFromSpace
Profile Joined March 2012
390 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-09-16 05:15:46
September 16 2012 04:59 GMT
#139
Thanks to Quantic.LaughingMan for casting the game:

Starts at ~10:08

Nihility
Prev 1 5 6 7 All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
PiGosaur Cup
00:00
#101 (PatchesSC Mod Edition)
PiGStarcraft420
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
PiGStarcraft420
RuFF_SC2 132
Nina 86
-ZergGirl 76
StarCraft: Brood War
Rain 2348
Bale 17
yabsab 14
Terrorterran 3
Shuttle 0
Dota 2
febbydoto11
Counter-Strike
Coldzera 1163
taco 382
minikerr23
Super Smash Bros
hungrybox617
Other Games
summit1g7358
JimRising 687
Day[9].tv476
C9.Mang0375
WinterStarcraft219
ViBE172
Livibee143
Maynarde135
Sick130
ArmadaUGS29
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick1065
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream129
[ Show 12 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Response 15
• OhrlRock 5
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Pr0nogo 7
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Other Games
• Day9tv476
Upcoming Events
Kung Fu Cup
8h 8m
Stellar Fest
10h 8m
The PondCast
1d 7h
OSC
1d 10h
Stellar Fest
1d 10h
OSC
1d 21h
Stellar Fest
2 days
CranKy Ducklings
3 days
Online Event
3 days
FEL
3 days
[ Show More ]
AI Arena Tournament
3 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
3 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
4 days
INu's Battles
4 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
Replay Cast
4 days
WardiTV Weekly
5 days
Replay Cast
5 days
INu's Battles
6 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.