• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 13:40
CEST 19:40
KST 02:40
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)75Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups?
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Sagi.gg Launcher Released 20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ Fantasy returning? BSL Season 23
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Nintendo Switch Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Dating: How's your luck? Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 10096 users

[G] The Cycle method for Zerg macro - Page 6

Forum Index > StarCraft 2 Strategy
Post a Reply
Prev 1 4 5 6 All
GGfytheWORLD
Profile Joined October 2010
Korea (South)37 Posts
October 28 2011 00:16 GMT
#101
Amazing post. I just recently got promoted to Master's, and this may just be the thing I need to transcend to that next level.

One noob question though: I don't use a gaming mouse; just a regular old computer and a regular old mouse. I've actually been using the "W" key as my backspace for quite a while, as I don't off-race at all and really can't find a use for the key for zerg. Is this suitable?

Thanks.
ExoTau
Profile Joined August 2010
Canada67 Posts
October 28 2011 01:42 GMT
#102
Well thansk for that post. This really helped me find order in the somewhat chaotic mess that was my macro game. I can now better predict what I need to get to not get supply capped while keeping production going. Practicing your cycle forced me to better understand the mechanics of the race.
cHeK
Profile Joined April 2011
United States35 Posts
October 28 2011 02:52 GMT
#103
Very nice guide, I bookmarked it and plan on implementing it in my play.

Only thing I have to add, is shouldn't you try to stay an overlord or two ahead of what you need just incase a scouting overlord gets sniped so you don't get supply blocked.
Iriscience
Profile Joined December 2010
Chile3 Posts
October 28 2011 04:14 GMT
#104
Very nice guide.

Im a terran Platinum top, but recently i started play with zerg.

This guide will considerably improve my macro with zerg.

Thanks a Lot.
SnowK
Profile Joined June 2011
United States245 Posts
October 28 2011 04:23 GMT
#105
Cool stuff.

How do you end up resync'ing this in the event something gets sniped? Do you just wait to clear all the injects before starting the cycle again?
"Its like someone went 'What does protoss need.... I know, more ways to be an obnoxious cunt'" - Liquid`Jinro
Mokss
Profile Joined December 2010
Philippines114 Posts
October 28 2011 04:25 GMT
#106
Could somebody explain to me what is this on skype? I'm a masters terran that has switched to zerg and I really want to fully understand this method especially the overlord thing because I constantly get supply blocked in games.

Thanks
IcemanAsi
Profile Joined March 2011
Israel681 Posts
October 28 2011 05:43 GMT
#107
On October 28 2011 13:23 SnowK wrote:
Cool stuff.

How do you end up resync'ing this in the event something gets sniped? Do you just wait to clear all the injects before starting the cycle again?

Thank.
Still working on refining a concept for the resync, as you can imagine it's very varied and I still haven't found an answer that's general enough as there are many ways of being thrown off. Otherwise it breaks down into either 'just handle it' or a list of 50 different situations. Neither is good enough, so basically, still working on that one.

IcemanAsi
Profile Joined March 2011
Israel681 Posts
October 28 2011 05:43 GMT
#108
On October 28 2011 13:25 Mokss wrote:
Could somebody explain to me what is this on skype? I'm a masters terran that has switched to zerg and I really want to fully understand this method especially the overlord thing because I constantly get supply blocked in games.

Thanks

You can ask any question in the thread, I would be very happy to clarify any question.
Mokss
Profile Joined December 2010
Philippines114 Posts
October 28 2011 18:42 GMT
#109
On October 28 2011 14:43 IcemanAsi wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 28 2011 13:25 Mokss wrote:
Could somebody explain to me what is this on skype? I'm a masters terran that has switched to zerg and I really want to fully understand this method especially the overlord thing because I constantly get supply blocked in games.

Thanks

You can ask any question in the thread, I would be very happy to clarify any question.


Does this method work for people who use the "idra method"? Like hotkeying every queen.

And I really don't get the cycle part so basically I make overlords then I make units and it goes on? is that correct?
Super_bricklayer
Profile Joined May 2010
France104 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-10-28 22:48:53
October 28 2011 22:44 GMT
#110
Nice guide, i was using the cycle check thing by binding one hatch but it's actually quite something to remember. I guess with this post i will practice that point especially for the next game, i didn't really realized about all those timing and your OV method is great too.

For the inject method i have to be critical against, i always find some queens wandering when you have more hatch than queens with the backspace method. I prefer to take just a little more time and be sure to inject correctly by using F1 -> F3 to create cam' position, with all my queens on 1, so 1 / F1 / V / Clic /F2 / V / Clic / F3 / V / CLic etc...and F4 is for my creep spread. It's also quite nice to have those cam to spread all your drone correctly and saturate your expend smoothly ( also for defence but i'm still pretty bad and the stress make me forget about those shortcut and i start clicking everywhere ^^ ).

Anyway thanks for that thread, really nice to share with da swarm.
IcemanAsi
Profile Joined March 2011
Israel681 Posts
October 30 2011 07:24 GMT
#111
On October 29 2011 03:42 Mokss wrote:
A. Does this method work for people who use the "idra method"? Like hotkeying every queen.

B. And I really don't get the cycle part so basically I make overlords then I make units and it goes on? is that correct?

A. Yes, you can use whatever inject method you like and are comfortable with. just make sure you can inject all your hatches quickly.


B. This is covered by the OP but I'll try to clarify:
- Your production with zerg is to a great degree dependent on your injects ( from ~60% to 100% if you're pooling larvae )
- A larvae inject takes 40 seconds.
- A hatchery which goes from full larvae to no larvae will produce a new one after 15 seconds
- An overlord takes 25 seconds to build.
- 25 + 15 = 40

Therefore if you wait for your larvae to spawn then inject, make all the larvae you got into units then the next larvae that the hatch will 'produce' will be exactly in time to make an overlord who will spawn exactly in time with your next larvae spawn. And so on, and so on....

As long as you're using all your larvae and taking into account some supply degradation due to making buildings and losing occasional scouts. You know that you will have about 4 larvae every 40 seconds ( you will have a bit more if your'e using all your larvae ) per hatch. Considering that everything but the ultralisk is either 1 supply per larvae or 2 supply per larvae you can easily figure out how many overlords to make every cycle, 1 overlord for every 2 hatches if your making 1 supply per larvae units (lings/drones) or 1 per 1 hatch if your making 2 supply units (everything else). In practice you will have to oversupply every few cycles if you're keeping perfect use of your larvae due to the naturally occurring larvae, not to mention as security and for scouting.

Hope that clears everything up.
Thebbeuttiffulland
Profile Joined October 2011
Brazil288 Posts
October 30 2011 07:30 GMT
#112
On October 11 2011 20:03 IcemanAsi wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 11 2011 19:55 darkscream wrote:
did you just fix zerg macro

Never thought of it as broken :D
But this definitely fixed my macro, Like I said I went from maxing on 18+ to 14.

maxing out depends on what opponent is doing :D
truth is out there
IcemanAsi
Profile Joined March 2011
Israel681 Posts
October 30 2011 07:37 GMT
#113
On October 30 2011 16:30 Thebbeuttiffulland wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 11 2011 20:03 IcemanAsi wrote:
On October 11 2011 19:55 darkscream wrote:
did you just fix zerg macro

Never thought of it as broken :D
But this definitely fixed my macro, Like I said I went from maxing on 18+ to 14.

maxing out depends on what opponent is doing :D

And also on what your'e doing.
This isn't intended for pro-gamer level player, it's for the great majority of players who get supply blocked and miss injects constantly, with nothing to do with the opponent. I would say that in bronze-silver league at least most players hurt themselves with bad macro more then anything the opponent is doing to them.
I believe this cycle helps with exactly that.

Morning_Zerg
Profile Joined January 2013
4 Posts
January 04 2013 15:26 GMT
#114
it is awesome. i like it
Prev 1 4 5 6 All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 6h 20m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
mouzHeroMarine 243
ProTech143
UpATreeSC 118
BRAT_OK 75
MindelVK 12
StarCraft: Brood War
Calm 3341
Bisu 2007
Soulkey 1069
EffOrt 526
Larva 380
Mini 376
ZerO 205
Dewaltoss 187
hero 93
Mind 73
[ Show more ]
Sharp 68
sorry 63
Shinee 53
Barracks 40
Sea.KH 33
Bale 27
Trap 24
Terrorterran 21
NaDa 20
ToSsGirL 19
Rock 13
scan(afreeca) 12
zelot 8
ajuk12(nOOB) 7
Dota 2
Dendi1253
XaKoH 429
420jenkins412
League of Legends
Reynor73
Counter-Strike
fl0m4223
pashabiceps846
Fnx 663
x6flipin437
edward24
Heroes of the Storm
Liquid`Hasu422
Other Games
Grubby2436
Liquid`RaSZi1591
FrodaN752
XBOCT263
Livibee187
TKL 123
C9.Mang0113
QueenE93
RotterdaM41
Mew2King36
ZerO(Twitch)18
Organizations
Other Games
WardiTV188
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream24
[ Show 16 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• StrangeGG 67
• Reevou 10
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• HerbMon 41
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Nemesis3073
• TFBlade758
Other Games
• Shiphtur637
• WagamamaTV580
• imaqtpie361
Upcoming Events
PiGosaur Cup
6h 20m
Patches Events
22h 20m
The PondCast
1d 16h
INu's Battles
1d 17h
Percival vs TBD
Zoun vs herO
OSC
2 days
Replay Cast
2 days
OSC
3 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
4 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
4 days
Patches Events
4 days
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
WardiTV Weekly
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.