• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 05:42
CEST 11:42
KST 18:42
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)76Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups?
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Sagi.gg Launcher Released 20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft Bot on ladder BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ Fantasy returning?
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Nintendo Switch Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Dating: How's your luck? Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7931 users

[G] The Cycle method for Zerg macro - Page 5

Forum Index > StarCraft 2 Strategy
Post a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All
IcemanAsi
Profile Joined March 2011
Israel681 Posts
October 16 2011 10:39 GMT
#81
Updated the OP with a slightly more streamlined version of the cycle as well as simplified version for new players.

Coming soon:

- Common mistakes and problems
- How to get back into cycle after you mess up
Monkeyballs25
Profile Joined October 2010
531 Posts
October 16 2011 10:56 GMT
#82
On October 16 2011 19:39 IcemanAsi wrote:
Updated the OP with a slightly more streamlined version of the cycle as well as simplified version for new players.

Thanks! Very nice system.
IcemanAsi
Profile Joined March 2011
Israel681 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-10-16 11:07:27
October 16 2011 11:05 GMT
#83
On October 16 2011 19:56 Monkeyballs25 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 16 2011 19:39 IcemanAsi wrote:
Updated the OP with a slightly more streamlined version of the cycle as well as simplified version for new players.

Thanks! Very nice system.

Thanks :D

I'm working on the problems and fixes sections now.The most obvious ones are:

- Not enough money to spend larvae after spawn
- Losing overlords
- Losing queens
- Having a queen or hatch out of sync
- Aligning tech timings in cycle with gas timings for popular openings

If you have anything you would want to flag as a problem that rose up when using this, let me know.



KroN
Profile Joined March 2011
Germany438 Posts
October 16 2011 14:53 GMT
#84
Hi,

like this guide, will try to use it. One thing you could add is explain the inject method in itself, because there are many people like me who never used it (5 queen, 6 queen, 7 queen, 8 queen and double tap for me) and run into problems like:

-does not work when there is a hatch without queen, they run around
-same for macro hatches, i constantly use them without queens.

KroN
Fugue
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
Australia253 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-10-17 05:51:19
October 17 2011 05:49 GMT
#85
I must say, the overlord between spawn cycles is a real winner for me. As a low level player who doesn't get much time to practice, it only took me a few games to really get into a better rhythm using this basic concept. I find it helps me focus less on macro while actually performing better.

Previously I'd be so focused on using up larvae, not getting supply blocked, making sure I had good drone saturation and wasn't forgetting to build an army, that I'd forget entirely about scouting or having any sort of map awareness. I was following the basic tenet that you should focus on macro, because you can win on macro alone if you've got that down. But if you don't scout and react, you'll never get the drone/army balance right.

After about half a dozen games getting used to this cycle method, I was learning to tap the hatchery, use minimap injects (an adjustment I wanted to make as backspace injects, while fast, weren't working for me) and checking supply to make overlords in between cycles. I felt myself making better decisions on tech/unit comps because more of my time was now being devoted to checking the minimap and moving my units around. Best of all this was teaching me something really important - I could focus on moving units without forgetting to macro, something which was killing me when I tried to focus on macro alone.

Last game of last night was a 4v4:

1. I did not get supply blocked once.
2. In the early stages of the game, I managed to ling scout all 4 players (buddy protoss sniped a depot and lured the marines away, it was perfect), see their tech, and respond appropriately with a full round of drones, taking extra gas, teching to spire and getting mutas.
3. I massed up 24 mutas in just a few cycles and kept my money low the whole time, and spent the next 5 minutes still macroing and taking a 3rd and 4th base while harassing and being active on the map.
4. I continued to react better to scouting information gained between cycles, getting out brood lords against a thor/tank army in a good time.
5. I scored top for resources, against a mix of diamond/plat/gold players (I'm gold league myself).

I still had 3k+ minerals at one point and dozens of unused larvae at another, but my play up to that game was usually being stuck on tier 1 or 2, massing just one unit type and not tech switching, just trying to macrostomp. I think we've all seen threads telling us that that's good practice (although they would point out that massing lings against colossus is never going to win), and perhaps that practice has helped me ease into this style without too many issues, but personally I feel like it simply left me relying on a flawed system that devoted all my concentration to macroing and left me with no time to think about army positioning, scouting, or true reactive play.

Edit:
On October 16 2011 23:53 KroN wrote:
Hi,

like this guide, will try to use it. One thing you could add is explain the inject method in itself, because there are many people like me who never used it (5 queen, 6 queen, 7 queen, 8 queen and double tap for me) and run into problems like:

-does not work when there is a hatch without queen, they run around
-same for macro hatches, i constantly use them without queens.

KroN

This is why I switched to minimap injects. I like all queens on 1 hotkey, and I like having queens for creep spread, not just injects, but by using minimap injects I can neglect a hatchery that I know has had its queen sniped, for instance.
IcemanAsi
Profile Joined March 2011
Israel681 Posts
October 17 2011 07:34 GMT
#86
On October 16 2011 23:53 KroN wrote:
Hi,

like this guide, will try to use it. One thing you could add is explain the inject method in itself, because there are many people like me who never used it (5 queen, 6 queen, 7 queen, 8 queen and double tap for me) and run into problems like:

-does not work when there is a hatch without queen, they run around
-same for macro hatches, i constantly use them without queens.

KroN

Hi,

I would rather not dive into that here, as there are other threads which go into the different inject method, and do so well.
Suffice it to say that whatever inject method you use is irrelevant to the cycle method and is completely dependent on personal preference, as long as you can execute your injects fast enough as to not delay your use of the spawning larvae.
OxyFuel
Profile Joined August 2011
Canada195 Posts
October 18 2011 03:30 GMT
#87
This is pretty damn cool and I am going to definitely try it out.
Flash | Boxer | qxc | KawaiiRice | LuckyFool | Avilo
DeadCell
Profile Joined April 2011
Canada256 Posts
October 18 2011 04:01 GMT
#88
I still struggle with my macro once I get into the late game with about 5-6 hatches.

I'll have to give this a shot but switch backspace to something else because I only have 3 buttons.

It's hard to get used to this because It's engraved in my brain to spam 1-1 2-2 and so on for each hatch but obviously your method is much quicker.
I'm workin on it!
If it comes down to you or them, send flowers.
Magus.423
Profile Joined July 2011
France33 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-10-18 08:01:07
October 18 2011 08:00 GMT
#89
This method is quicker but got some issues.

You _must_ have 1 queen per hatch. Or your queen will just run away in the middle of the map screaming out loud "yoooouuuuhhhooooou, come kill me dudes, i like that so much !".
If you don't have 1 queen per hatch, you must do injections carefully one by one, so it's slower ^^

But, IcemanAsi is right. Choose the method you like. It makes no difference for this guide.
No whine, just play.
IcemanAsi
Profile Joined March 2011
Israel681 Posts
October 18 2011 09:27 GMT
#90
On October 18 2011 17:00 Magus.423 wrote:
This method is quicker but got some issues.

You _must_ have 1 queen per hatch. Or your queen will just run away in the middle of the map screaming out loud "yoooouuuuhhhooooou, come kill me dudes, i like that so much !".
If you don't have 1 queen per hatch, you must do injections carefully one by one, so it's slower ^^

But, IcemanAsi is right. Choose the method you like. It makes no difference for this guide.

Hehe,
In my mind it was always more:
"I got it boss! I got it! Just....let....me.....get.....there.....God I'm out of shape, diet starts tommrow..."
Labbes
Profile Joined October 2011
2 Posts
October 19 2011 00:40 GMT
#91
I'm still struggling to keep my mind on injects, and I can see how this might be the solution. Thank you so much! (Not forgetting warpgates as Toss was so much easier...)
Also, I actually signed up just to say this. Hey, TL Forums!
SpoR
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
United States1542 Posts
October 19 2011 01:49 GMT
#92
That sounds too complicated to me to be honest. I just do it the same way I did in BW. Hotkey each hatch separately and make shit, and if i don't see mutant larva growing I spit on it again.
The only exception to this is when I'm mid/late game with lots of mana on my queen(s) and i make extra hatches near the first few and then hotkey them both on the same key and treat it like 1 hatch that I have to spit on twice.
A man is what he thinks about all day long.
Cyanocyst
Profile Joined October 2010
2222 Posts
October 19 2011 01:59 GMT
#93
...I didn't comment in this thread in the beginning, because i thought it was obvious that this is the way Zerg should operate. Guess im surprised this is news to some people.

Though yeah i felt that best way to get better with zerg was get a really basic macro cycle going, then just keep adding aspects to the cycle. With Zerg there's honestly always something that you could be doing.

|| Fruit Dealer | Leenock | Yughio | Coca | Sniper | True | Solar | Dark |
statiksc2
Profile Joined October 2011
Australia2 Posts
October 19 2011 11:09 GMT
#94
Hi, I'm a Protoss player (high diamond) recently turned zerg. I just always watched replays of zerg and always loved their mechanics of creep etc, so i finally decided to try it - and much to my dismay it turned out I was way worse at it then Protoss.

This cycle kind of logic really helps my macro game but there is just a couple questions I have -

1) How do you get INTO the cycle in the most efficient way? (Remember we don't start with 2 queens/hatches from the get go)

2) The "create units" part doesn't really work all the time for me. A lot of times I'll create units and still have many larvae left over (not knowing which to use for overlords). Also just to clarify I'm supposed to technically make 1 overlord per 8 supply of units i create at once? (8 lings/drones in a row, THEN ovi - OR 4 roaches/hyras/etc THEN ovi ) that's my understanding anyway

If someone could help clear this up I'd be forever grateful!
Labbes
Profile Joined October 2011
2 Posts
October 19 2011 12:03 GMT
#95
1) How do you get INTO the cycle in the most efficient way? (Remember we don't start with 2 queens/hatches from the get go)


As soon as you have two queens, one should inject while the other spawns a creep tumor (in direction of your natural), since there is no way you can afford the minerals for two complete injects at such an early stage. If you time it right, they both have 25 energy again at the same time, so the next time, they can both inject at the same time.

2) The "create units" part doesn't really work all the time for me. A lot of times I'll create units and still have many larvae left over (not knowing which to use for overlords).


If you lack resources for units, it means you don't have enough mining workers. Either your bases aren't saturated, you haven't taken all your gases, or you just need to expand again
Also, the overlords you need are produced from the naturally spawning larvae after the larvae from the inject are all used up (ideally) for workers or units.
blixna_waka
Profile Joined February 2011
7 Posts
October 19 2011 15:09 GMT
#96
Very nice guide, dropped my maxing time by a whole minute.
Cheers.
"Power Overwhelming."
a176
Profile Blog Joined August 2009
Canada6688 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-10-19 15:19:12
October 19 2011 15:18 GMT
#97
On October 19 2011 20:09 statiksc2 wrote:
Hi, I'm a Protoss player (high diamond) recently turned zerg. I just always watched replays of zerg and always loved their mechanics of creep etc, so i finally decided to try it - and much to my dismay it turned out I was way worse at it then Protoss.

This cycle kind of logic really helps my macro game but there is just a couple questions I have -

1) How do you get INTO the cycle in the most efficient way? (Remember we don't start with 2 queens/hatches from the get go)

2) The "create units" part doesn't really work all the time for me. A lot of times I'll create units and still have many larvae left over (not knowing which to use for overlords). Also just to clarify I'm supposed to technically make 1 overlord per 8 supply of units i create at once? (8 lings/drones in a row, THEN ovi - OR 4 roaches/hyras/etc THEN ovi ) that's my understanding anyway

If someone could help clear this up I'd be forever grateful!


At full saturation, you can max out 6 roaches per cycles (75min per unit) per hatchery. More expensive units you have to make a unit mix, 1 or 2 mutas and the rest lings, for example, or whatever combination of cycles fits your style.

You also need to build overlords so you have to consider replacing a unit in the cycle with an overlord. I prefer to start with an ovie and then make units; ensures i dont just press and hold a unit button and get stuck with supply block.

Also +1 for tilde

starleague forever
Goobadiah
Profile Joined January 2011
United States16 Posts
October 19 2011 19:35 GMT
#98
Huge supporter of this guide, I will be trying my best to integrate it as soon as I get the time. I expect the concept to help alot!

Thanks for creating it
*@boesthius' FF7 nostalgia stream bomb* "we should work on a 'Final Progamer' fangame»whitera can be a protagonist---lastlie: "we save world and then defense it"
StiX
Profile Joined September 2010
Netherlands220 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-10-27 14:48:37
October 27 2011 13:52 GMT
#99
Dear IceManAsi,

Love you for doing this however I think
Infestation pit (Taking into account the research time as well) - 0/40

is wrong

As the infestion pit takes 50 seconds to build and 80 seconds to research Pathogen Glands (source: http://wiki.teamliquid.net/starcraft2/Infestation_Pit )

If you would start it 0/40 it would mean you'd end up at 10 seconds after the third round being finished..

130 seconds/40 = 3.25

1# 40 seconds taken before first larvae spawn (tot: 40)
2# 40 seconds taken before second larvae spawn (tot: 80)
3# 40 seconds taken before third larvae spawn (tot: 120)
4# 10 seconds into round four which leaves the possiblity that you have spended your larvae (tot: 130)

it would be wiser to start it at 30/40 to sync it

More info in spoiler for those who are confused
+ Show Spoiler +

#1 30/40 (tot: 10)
#2 40/40 (tot: 50)
#3 40/40 (tot: 90)
#4 40/40 (tot: 130)

Yes, the synchronization makes it a round later but let me explain why this is in harmony with timing larvae:
1. Your larvae isn't 10 seconds idle and the comparison is out of proportion because you get your larvae "earlier" at 30/40 (compared to the infestion pit) than at 0/40.

2. It doesn't matter because you don't lose any larvae starting at 30/40, the only thing that happens is that your infestion pit seems longer because it's delayed in the larvae cycle.

3. Some may argue your infestors will come 30 seconds later. Especially because you usually (personally experience) look at the bar when it's close to finished.

4. Chances exist that if you make it at 0/40 and you follow this method you can make MAX 3 infestors as you invest "orginal" larvae in overlords.

5. Infestors are a big tech investment and take 130 seconds (longest) before you can build them effectively. So if you plan to build infestors you usually plan this ahead and would look on the timer at any point of time, it wouldn't matter building them at 0 or 30 because the

So the infestion pit has to start at 30/40 and thus takes 25% of the first round and then 3 more rounds.


Unless you took 10 seconds as buffer to actually start the research but then you should edit this :D.
"Think for yourself, question authority" Timothy Leary
IcemanAsi
Profile Joined March 2011
Israel681 Posts
October 27 2011 14:55 GMT
#100
On October 27 2011 22:52 StiX wrote:
Dear IceManAsi,

Love you for doing this however I think
Show nested quote +
Infestation pit (Taking into account the research time as well) - 0/40

is wrong

As the infestion pit takes 50 seconds to build and 80 seconds to research Pathogen Glands (source: http://wiki.teamliquid.net/starcraft2/Infestation_Pit )

If you would start it 0/40 it would mean you'd end up at 10 seconds after the third round being finished..

130 seconds/40 = 3.25

1# 40 seconds taken before first larvae spawn (tot: 40)
2# 40 seconds taken before second larvae spawn (tot: 80)
3# 40 seconds taken before third larvae spawn (tot: 120)
4# 10 seconds into round four which leaves the possiblity that you have spended your larvae (tot: 130)

it would be wiser to start it at 30/40 to sync it

More info in spoiler for those who are confused
+ Show Spoiler +

#1 30/40 (tot: 10)
#2 40/40 (tot: 50)
#3 40/40 (tot: 90)
#4 40/40 (tot: 130)

Yes, the synchronization makes it a round later but let me explain why this is in harmony with timing larvae:
1. Your larvae isn't 10 seconds idle and the comparison is out of proportion because you get your larvae "earlier" at 30/40 (compared to the infestion pit) than at 0/40.

2. It doesn't matter because you don't lose any larvae starting at 30/40, the only thing that happens is that your infestion pit seems longer because it's delayed in the larvae cycle.

3. Some may argue your infestors will come 30 seconds later. Especially because you usually (personally experience) look at the bar when it's close to finished.

4. Chances exist that if you make it at 0/40 and you follow this method you can make MAX 3 infestors as you invest "orginal" larvae in overlords.

5. Infestors are a big tech investment and take 130 seconds (longest) before you can build them effectively. So if you plan to build infestors you usually plan this ahead and would look on the timer at any point of time, it wouldn't matter building them at 0 or 30 because the

So the infestion pit has to start at 30/40 and thus takes 25% of the first round and then 3 more rounds.


Unless you took 10 seconds as buffer to actually start the research but then you should edit this :D.

You are correct. Thanks for catching this. Correcting OP.
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 1h 18m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
Lowko36
StarCraft: Brood War
firebathero 1173
actioN 1169
Shuttle 746
Jaedong 509
Mong 370
Hyuk 348
BeSt 338
Hyun 258
Soma 209
Horang2 204
[ Show more ]
Stork 141
Larva 106
PianO 92
Sexy 86
Bisu 69
Rush 68
Mind 65
Shine 57
910 55
Shinee 34
ZerO 30
Bale 27
sSak 25
ZergMaN 24
Hm[arnc] 23
hero 21
Sharp 21
HiyA 17
sorry 17
Yoon 15
Noble 12
Pusan 10
Terrorterran 5
Dota 2
XcaliburYe86
Counter-Strike
olofmeister1172
shoxiejesuss985
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King306
Other Games
gofns38367
summit1g7507
singsing999
ceh9593
KnowMe139
Pyrionflax133
Livibee57
DeMusliM55
Trikslyr27
ZerO(Twitch)4
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick492
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream33
[ Show 11 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Jankos1054
• Stunt339
Other Games
• Shiphtur385
Upcoming Events
Kung Fu Cup
1h 18m
Patches Events
6h 18m
The PondCast
1d
INu's Battles
1d 1h
Percival vs SHIN
Zoun vs herO
OSC
1d 12h
Replay Cast
1d 13h
OSC
2 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
3 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
4 days
Patches Events
4 days
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
WardiTV Weekly
6 days
PiGosaur Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.