• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 04:13
CEST 10:13
KST 17:13
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror6[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Rollback Netcode in Brood War605.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202621Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
RSL 2026 Offline Finals LCQ Sign-Ups $3,500 WardiTV Not-Summer Championship ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
TL Sidebar missing streams [ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror Rollback Netcode in Brood War Sagi.gg Launcher Released BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25!
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread TeamLiquid Health and Fitness Initiative For 2023 MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7581 users

The Terran Help Me Thread - Page 104

Forum Index > StarCraft 2 Strategy
Post a Reply
Prev 1 102 103 104 105 106 460 Next
Make sure you read the OP before asking a question. Asking a question already addressed in the OP will result in moderation action. Also, please put some effort into your questions.
iAmJeffReY
Profile Joined August 2010
United States4262 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-01-01 04:04:36
January 01 2012 04:04 GMT
#2061
On January 01 2012 12:44 Pitto wrote:
ive been looking for a while and havent been able to find anything which really properly answers my question

in one of the most recent day9 dailies he talks about terran not using mules late game because scans are more valuable. when do mules become less viable in the game? my thought processes are that if you can scan then the information u gain from the scouting is worth more than the extra minerals the mules would get you. but also it is important to have that mineral surplus late game as T to remax asap after a big engagement.

does this scan >>>> mule idea only hold true for gas heavy builds (eg mech) or is it always more valuable late game? is it as simple as there is no point getting more minerals faster when you have a lot of unspendable mins anyway? if so, what is the counter for the argument for the need to have lots of mins lategame for tech switches + remaxing?

ty <3

What match up are you asking about? Terran naturally get more OCs as we approach max, and dropping 15 mules....dropping 7 and using 8 scans...which is better. 15 mules will drain a mineral patch too fast, and the income is too choppy. Just a few here and there with scvs is enough to supplement a nice income.

Scans are a positioning force, believe it or not. Scan a protoss natural ramp one time. Watch those units split and position up . TvT? scan his tanks when there's no one with air dominance, and he will be forced to scan you, or unsiege and pull back. Scans keep you in the loop, and let you know where and what another race is going.

Optimally, you'll keep mining at least 1-2 bases at all times to support all your 'remaxing' needs. However, there's no more depots, no more scvs, no more turrets usually, no more upgrades.. Just units. You'll find you have enough with only dropping a few mules here and there.
Unbiased biased terran abuser Jeffrey. Sorry for the rage, friend!
awakenx
Profile Joined May 2011
United States341 Posts
January 01 2012 04:40 GMT
#2062
whao my question set off a huge debate on how to play tvz

i was told by a player that sitting on 3 bases wasn't goign to get me through because i had no map control, which led me to ask that question xDDD

yes, it's true that with a fast third base, you can almost max out at the 15 minute mark. Besides, if the zerg sees you're turtling and then expands like 3 times, he's going to have spent a lot of resources on building hatcheries and no army.

ah, tvz is a confusing matchup indeed, of course, i'm supposing that everyone's just answering my question based on their own playstyle, lol.
WorstMicroNA
S_SienZ
Profile Joined September 2011
1878 Posts
January 01 2012 05:14 GMT
#2063
Speaking of TvZ, is full mech viable on all maps? I'm starting to play that style and I'm concerned on bigger maps like Tal Darim. Biggest map I actually play mech on is probably Antiga since it's a pretty easy 3rd and occupying the center watch tower with a censor tower there is essentially map hack.

I play a mech style very similar to the one IMHappy played against DRG in GSL November. LOTS of Hellions at the start hitting at a +1 attack and blue flame timing. Final push at +3 attack, Still working on possible Air / Ghost / Marauder transitions for Hive Tech.

Maps I do this build on: Antiga, Shakuras, Metalopolis

Vetoed maps: Entombed Valley, Arid Plateau, Shattered Temple
Willzzz
Profile Joined December 2010
United Kingdom774 Posts
January 01 2012 11:30 GMT
#2064
On January 01 2012 05:26 Kakoon wrote:
ok so youre saying terrans should just stay put get a third.....

ARE YOU KIDDING ME.... im pretty sure zerg is the only race where they can get 5 drones at a time. guess what while youre 3 is getting set up the zerg has 3 good saturated bases.


You are taking all of this out of context, no one ever said turtle all game long. We are advocating defensive play when zerg has a high muta count and terran does not yet have a strong enough army to make a death push.

I usually start TvZ with a strong push around 9 minutes to deny a fast third, or any other form of greedy play. This will continue until the zerg is dead or the pushes stop being cost efficient. In the latter case it is time to play defensively for a while to build up an army that can engage head on in a cost efficient manner.
huehuehuehue
Profile Blog Joined August 2011
Estonia455 Posts
January 01 2012 12:20 GMT
#2065
Does anyone have good TvT guides or fpvods with commentary? I'm really struggling in this matchup and i get frustrated playing TvT's.
Willzzz
Profile Joined December 2010
United Kingdom774 Posts
January 01 2012 12:25 GMT
#2066
Several recent TvT games on here:

http://www.youtube.com/user/AdebisiStarcraft
imre
Profile Blog Joined November 2011
France9263 Posts
January 01 2012 18:22 GMT
#2067
Anyone knows what's the build order leading to MKP's 2reactor rax, 1fac for siege tank with an expo push? I'm trying several things to do early marine/tank pushes in TvP (got bored of pure bio) and I'd like to steal some pieces of his build.

Thanks a lot.
Zest fanboy.
Carlotto
Profile Joined July 2011
France49 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-01-01 19:03:37
January 01 2012 18:55 GMT
#2068
Hey

Can anyone link me some vods or replays of 12/14 rax with bunker rush TvZ? I'm talking about pro matches, I know the build but I'd like to learn how to execute the rush best (scout, timing, placement, micro, etc.).

Thank you
DarkCore
Profile Joined March 2011
Germany4194 Posts
January 01 2012 19:31 GMT
#2069
ARE YOU KIDDING ME.... im pretty sure zerg is the only race where they can get 5 drones at a time. guess what while youre 3 is getting set up the zerg has 3 good saturated bases. and all they have to do is jsut attack the terran cause they can remax their army iwht a superior economy early on. I mean i have never seen a terran win when they let zerg macro.


MVP

Anyone knows what's the build order leading to MKP's 2reactor rax, 1fac for siege tank with an expo push? I'm trying several things to do early marine/tank pushes in TvP (got bored of pure bio) and I'd like to steal some pieces of his build.


I've seen MKP do similar stuff as well, like an Expansion into 1/1/1 build that hits before colossus.

Several recent TvT games on here:

http://www.youtube.com/user/AdebisiStarcraft


Don't forget though that Adebisi makes mistakes as well. He's a great terran to watch to see what an average Masters league Terran looks like, and to think about what he could have done better, and what went wrong.

in one of the most recent day9 dailies he talks about terran not using mules late game because scans are more valuable. when do mules become less viable in the game? my thought processes are that if you can scan then the information u gain from the scouting is worth more than the extra minerals the mules would get you. but also it is important to have that mineral surplus late game as T to remax asap after a big engagement.


That only applies if you don't know what the opponent is doing, and you are missing some vital information (Like where his army is). If you somehow know a lot of scouting information, don't use too many scans. You'll see players like Bomber on his stream not use his OC energy for a long time in the late game because he knows everything the opponent is doing through skilled Watchtower control and constant army movement.

The tip of controlling your units better is a serious, not trolling statement. I've noted the better I get at preseplitting, making concaves, and split harassing while pushing the better my TvZ has gotten. I used to die to ling bane with a ~9 min timing push of stim mara marine hellion... now I just mass split and handle it calmly and comfortably, and continue the aggression.


That is true. I almost entirely lose all my TvZ games because of army mismanagement, not because of macro errors. Learning to react immediately to what you see in TvZ is a requirement, and taking of your army is what wins you the game: Past gold league, you can macro all you want better than that Zerg, if you forget to siege up and split those marines you cannot win a single TvZ game.
Fixed a bug where LeBlanc could lose
morg
Profile Joined October 2011
Germany28 Posts
January 01 2012 20:03 GMT
#2070
whats the best respond after you see a protoss one base all ining you f.e i have alot of trouble with the warpprism all in. i 1 rax fe every game against protoss and i lose alot to all ins like this.most of the time i dont have enough units to defend at 2 fronts and im clueless what to do in a situation like this.

im diamond terran
tryteyker
Profile Joined December 2011
Germany83 Posts
January 01 2012 20:16 GMT
#2071
I've been starting with Terran letely, after mainly playing Protoss and have so far reached Rank 2 in Bronze League (That's something atleast, right? lol).
I still struggle with the TvT Matchup.
Either my opponent is going Siege Tank / MMM, and I crush him with Thors / MMM, or
My Opponent is going Banshee Harass, and I can't get them. I try to push out (basically ignoring the Banshees as I already had 3 more expansions), but get beaten by MMM / Siege Tank / Thor.

My huge problem is the Banshee Harass. I only had it in 2 matches or so, and in one match I even saw the Banshee and went Mass Marines; Basically, I'm not too sure whether I should quickly go for an Engineering Bay and then build alot of Missile Turrets, rather than going Mass Marines and maybe not have the ability to scan and let him wreck my economy.

The thing about Missile Turrets is I'm pretty scared of it, as I'm mostly going MMM, even in TvT (I still haven't found a better strategy tbh), and Engineering Bay seems like a waste of ressources until Mid Game / Late Game as I mostly don't need the upgrades.

So yeah, I'm wondering if it's really worth it going Engineering Bay early in the game and build a few Missile Turrets once I see a Starport?
Nightshake
Profile Joined November 2010
France412 Posts
January 01 2012 21:01 GMT
#2072
Simply build turrets at the 6min mark, one in the mineal line and maybe next to the production, if you want. Then, either have at least one viking or some marines to dispel the banshee.
Nuxy
Profile Joined July 2011
4 Posts
January 01 2012 21:02 GMT
#2073
Just use a 1-1-1 build and get viking/raven to deal with bancheese
TheDwf
Profile Joined November 2011
France19747 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-01-01 21:03:52
January 01 2012 21:03 GMT
#2074
On January 02 2012 05:16 tryteyker wrote:
I've been starting with Terran letely, after mainly playing Protoss and have so far reached Rank 2 in Bronze League (That's something atleast, right? lol).
I still struggle with the TvT Matchup.
Either my opponent is going Siege Tank / MMM, and I crush him with Thors / MMM

Thors are not really a good idea, they're slow, don't add much and take too much space on the battle field. You'd do better with Tanks of your own, or just pure bio.

On January 02 2012 05:16 tryteyker wrote:
The thing about Missile Turrets is I'm pretty scared of it, as I'm mostly going MMM, even in TvT (I still haven't found a better strategy tbh), and Engineering Bay seems like a waste of ressources until Mid Game / Late Game as I mostly don't need the upgrades.

So yeah, I'm wondering if it's really worth it going Engineering Bay early in the game and build a few Missile Turrets once I see a Starport?

You should research your upgrades as soon as possible, and you need an EB anyway if you don't build a Raven to provide detection (the problem with scans is, the Banshee can simply go away, wait for the Scan to fade, then come back). So if you scout or suspect Banshee play, get an EB. One or two turrets in the mineral line should do if you have Marines, perhaps one too around your production facilities so the cloaked Banshee cannot snipe your add-ons.

About TvT strategies, Marine/Tanks (without Marauders, unless your opponent plays mech) is probably the most common composition in TvT. Pure bio and mech are of course playable too.
kenkou
Profile Joined September 2010
United States235 Posts
January 01 2012 21:18 GMT
#2075
This isn't more of a question, but I just want to get and idea on other Terran's opinions on how you should get the right unit composition for a maxed out army.

While watching replays of my losing games, sometimes i'll have an advantage/equal economy on my opponent, and i'll just straight up lose the main engagement and get run over. I know my unit control is part of the problem, but i'll play against protoss/zergs that will engage just as poorly as myself, and they will still come out ahead (blowing up banelings on tanks/having stalkers infront of zealots, etc.)

I wondered to myself, "I make just as much army than my opponent, I have a better economy, why am I still losing?" Recently, I watched a losing TvZ replay of myself, and it struck me. I made TOO MANY marines (yes, its possible apparently). I then noticed in my other games, that its completely normal for me to have 90+ marines in my games. I end up with an army of only 5-6 tanks, a few medivacs, and the rest marines. I get overrun by ling/bling/infestor and a sprinkle of higher tech units quite often.

Of course, if I had the multitasking to drop 2-3 medivacs at a time, or the army control to split my marines like a korean terran, it wouldn't be of a big issue. But myself, i'm in diamond league, I need a composition that won't instantly get overrun by my opponents army.

Sorry for a bit of a read, but heres my question to you all. How do you guys go about making a good army?

I've come to think that, when i'm reaching near maxed (170-180 supply), I should just stop and think about what I should add to my current composition, rather than spamming out more marines. There are probably better ways of course to go about this, such as making an earlier second factory so i'll have more tanks mixed in, but that might also prevent me from having enough marines spread out to defend mutas and such.

So whats your way of getting a good composition, and also, what number of what units do you need to be comfortable engaging the opponent?
TheDwf
Profile Joined November 2011
France19747 Posts
January 01 2012 21:36 GMT
#2076
Against a Zerg going lings/banelings/mutas, for your maxed army, I'd say get ~10+ Tanks, 2 Thors, 5-8 Medivacs and Marines for the rest. Skip Thors and get more Medivacs/Tanks if he goes Infests.

Against Protoss, it depends on what they go; you'll want to be more Marine-heavy against Zealots-heavy compositions, and obviously you'll want Vikings against Colossi (~3 Vikings per Colossus) and Ghosts against Archons/HTs. Against Protoss, you should always have Ghosts in your maxed army, anyway.
NadaSound
Profile Joined March 2010
United States227 Posts
January 01 2012 22:26 GMT
#2077
I was watching the GSL recently and the casters were talking about a new aggressive TvP build going around in Korea. It's a marauder hellion push. I've done a couple times myself with good success but I haven't figured out exactly what to do after the push. I only saw the one game where it was done so I am essentially free-styling it. I was wondering if any one was familiar with this build and could point me to some replays or other resources about it.
awakenx
Profile Joined May 2011
United States341 Posts
January 01 2012 22:48 GMT
#2078
On January 01 2012 03:29 Absentia wrote:
Ideally you NEVER want to be in your base in TvZ for too long. If you're sitting in your base for an extended period of time then you're simply playing the matchup wrong. You want to control the main attack paths so that;
a) It is harder for the zerg to counter-attack
b) It is harder for the zerg to expand
c) It is harder for the zerg to defend his existing bases.
d) It is harder for the zerg for extend his creep
e) It is harder for the zerg to create his ideal army because he has to worry about you pushing forward



Okay, so exactly how do you go about doing that xD. I have no clue how I made it to Plat without knowing this at all. Could you like, provide an example, a diagram, or a replay? I'm not understanding how you do that and accomplish those five things.

Perhaps there is some commentated VOD or tutorial that explains this concept well?
WorstMicroNA
IMoperator
Profile Joined October 2011
4476 Posts
January 01 2012 23:43 GMT
#2079
I need some help TvZ. Whenever I play this matchup I feel like there's nothing I can do. Whenever I push out of my base it feels like an all in attack to me, since mutas can swoop in and kill the production off. Drops get shut down because of mutas and lings, and when I push with my main army they just seem to have way more units than me, not to mention creep spread allowing for vision and easier surrounds. It feels like all I can do is hole up in my base and try to max like a protoss does, but this doesn't really work as terran since the units aren't as good. Any help?
imre
Profile Blog Joined November 2011
France9263 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-01-02 00:19:16
January 02 2012 00:14 GMT
#2080
On January 02 2012 07:48 deathtrance wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 01 2012 03:29 Absentia wrote:
Ideally you NEVER want to be in your base in TvZ for too long. If you're sitting in your base for an extended period of time then you're simply playing the matchup wrong. You want to control the main attack paths so that;
a) It is harder for the zerg to counter-attack
b) It is harder for the zerg to expand
c) It is harder for the zerg to defend his existing bases.
d) It is harder for the zerg for extend his creep
e) It is harder for the zerg to create his ideal army because he has to worry about you pushing forward



Okay, so exactly how do you go about doing that xD. I have no clue how I made it to Plat without knowing this at all. Could you like, provide an example, a diagram, or a replay? I'm not understanding how you do that and accomplish those five things.

Perhaps there is some commentated VOD or tutorial that explains this concept well?


You could check ThorZaiN's games, he usually does slow pushes (spoon terran FTW).

The best exemple is Xel Naga Caverns, and why the planetary on the gold is really powerful. Between the two nats there are two xel naga covering almost all the attack paths. Then there are 4 other bases available. Once you put your lovely pf on the gold, in TvZ you just take one xel naga, wall one side and then there is only one path of attack for everyone. You're on the middle of the freaking map with a pf behind you, a xel naga tower for the vision and 3 of the 4 possible map for the zerg are easily accesible, you just have to unsiege once.

The other solution is to play an hyper aggressive style either with constant attacks (like MKP) or constant harass (Mvp, MMA). You talked about drop being shutdown by zerglings/mutas. First of all once mutas are out you should multi drop, then the main point of dropping si that it allows you to advance your main army in late game, take xel nagas or a good position, do annoying stuff like dropping tanks on cliffes or simply attacking another expansion.

MMA vs DRG at the Blizz cup, game 7, is the best exemple, the drops did not so much damage but they constantly allowed MMA to take good spots on the map.
Zest fanboy.
Prev 1 102 103 104 105 106 460 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 1h 48m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft: Brood War
Rain 4541
Leta 2288
BeSt 502
Soulkey 395
Soma 183
Rush 65
ZergMaN 30
Shine 30
Dota 2
XcaliburYe115
League of Legends
JimRising 547
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King55
Other Games
summit1g9329
WinterStarcraft714
Sick248
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV198
StarCraft: Brood War
lovetv 4
[ Show 11 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Sammyuel 35
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2311
League of Legends
• Jankos763
Upcoming Events
Sparkling Tuna Cup
1h 48m
Patches Events
6h 48m
BSL Open Qualifier
10h 48m
BSL Open Qualifier
10h 48m
OSC
14h 48m
OSC
1d 3h
WardiTV Weekly
2 days
PiGosaur Cup
2 days
The PondCast
4 days
Online Event
5 days
[ Show More ]
Korean StarCraft League
5 days
Afreeca Starleague
5 days
Rush vs Soulkey
CranKy Ducklings
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
HCC Season 3
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.