• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 22:57
CEST 04:57
KST 11:57
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon111
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16)
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing Official StarCraft website teases new content ahead of BlizzCon? Bot on ladder Where can I find Flash replays that work? BW General Discussion
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine All you football fans (soccer)! Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7343 users

The Protoss Help Me Thread - Page 347

Forum Index > StarCraft 2 Strategy
Post a Reply
Prev 1 345 346 347 348 349 432 Next
Make sure you read the OP before asking a question. Asking a question already addressed in the OP will result in moderation action.
Bahajinbo
Profile Joined May 2012
Germany488 Posts
October 09 2012 12:04 GMT
#6921
On October 09 2012 03:41 Teoita wrote:
Other than improving your ff's, a key to fighting muta ling play in general is getting storm. Not only is it absolutely mandatory against mutas for obvious reasons (archons alone don't cut it), it's great aoe in general to have for the later stages of the game, and it absolutely devastates banelings.

Also, do not invest into immortals unless you want to try and break down a spine crawler wall (and you don't have time/resources to go colossus), or unless he's making ultras. Immortals are dead weight vs muta play.

I usually get 2-3 observers out before I start continuing my Immortal production when facing mutas. As I've said before, the mutas aren't the problem - the banelings are.

But now I realized that storm is the only effective answer to face banelings. I tested around and with good forcefields as well as decent storms I can destroy a ling/baneling heavy army without big losses.

So in future I will keep 1-2 high templars and cannons at each base against muta harassment and go Immortal bust his front with High Templar & Sentry support.
Thanks for your help.
ineversmile
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
United States583 Posts
October 09 2012 12:37 GMT
#6922
On October 09 2012 21:04 Bahajinbo wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 09 2012 03:41 Teoita wrote:
Other than improving your ff's, a key to fighting muta ling play in general is getting storm. Not only is it absolutely mandatory against mutas for obvious reasons (archons alone don't cut it), it's great aoe in general to have for the later stages of the game, and it absolutely devastates banelings.

Also, do not invest into immortals unless you want to try and break down a spine crawler wall (and you don't have time/resources to go colossus), or unless he's making ultras. Immortals are dead weight vs muta play.

I usually get 2-3 observers out before I start continuing my Immortal production when facing mutas. As I've said before, the mutas aren't the problem - the banelings are.

But now I realized that storm is the only effective answer to face banelings. I tested around and with good forcefields as well as decent storms I can destroy a ling/baneling heavy army without big losses.

So in future I will keep 1-2 high templars and cannons at each base against muta harassment and go Immortal bust his front with High Templar & Sentry support.
Thanks for your help.


If you're in Stargate tech early enough, you can use Phoenix Range instead of Blink to deal with the Mutas. If you solve the Mutas that way, you can use grav-lifts to snipe off Banelings. Still, Blink is far more popular, which is why the standard tech goal is to get Storm. I just wanted to point out that there is another way.
Nostradamus.146@AM, Nostradamus.398@KR, Nostradamus.922@EU http://www.teamliquid.net/blog/ins
Misuari
Profile Joined May 2012
Singapore45 Posts
October 09 2012 13:32 GMT
#6923
Can i ask , What is a good opening against protoss ? . I've been going 3gate robo and i'm facing a hard time against 1base blink opening etc . man , pvp just suck

User was temp banned for this post.
EsportsJohn
Profile Blog Joined June 2012
United States4883 Posts
October 09 2012 17:13 GMT
#6924
I have a question about dealing with mutas. Say, for instance, in PvZ I open with some kind of stargate opening into a sentry/immortal expand to get a 3rd. If my opponent holds off my initial pressure and decides to get mutalisks up, would it be more efficient for me to put down a templar archives and get storm asap OR put down a fleet beacon and invest in 4-6 phoenixes?

To make the question a little more specific, I open with a 4-gate zealot/VR "all-in" opening to secure my 3rd base, so I have no initial phoenixes, but I have to production to do so. My main worry is that investing in phoenixes, while shutting down mutalisks a little more strongly, will delay my max push with colossus/archons and I will be so far behind in economy by then that I can't catch up. If there are any other ideas, like perhaps going into DTs after phoenixes or something like that, let me know! Thanks!

All of this is assuming a FFE, of course.
StrategyAllyssa Grey <3<3
Teoita
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
Italy12248 Posts
October 09 2012 17:21 GMT
#6925
If you don't already have phoenixes don't invest into them. Otherwise, fleet beacon and 8-10 phoenixes or so (from a starting point of 4-6) works well. You should still invest into some other tech (colossi work great here) that allows you both to kill lings and other ground based armies, as well as to push pre hive; you should be able to afford both on 3 bases.

If you don't go phoenix, go blink before storm; storm is absolutely necessary when the muta flock grows.

Archons alone aren't enough as you need storm eventually, so ht archives should go down before the dt shrine. Going dt helps to keep in check his base count, as he will likely get a ton of expandsions behind the mutas. Archons are fine if you get them from templar with no energy, but it's not worth it to rush for them.
ModeratorProtoss all-ins are like a wok. You can throw whatever you want in there and it will turn out alright.
EsportsJohn
Profile Blog Joined June 2012
United States4883 Posts
October 09 2012 17:23 GMT
#6926
On October 09 2012 14:25 ishida66 wrote:
Easy (I think) and fast question, how do I defend against 2 rax concussive shells on 1 gate FE opening?


It kind of depends on the FE that you're doing. Generally the nexus will get down around 30 supply, in which case you'll generally have 1 zealot/1-2 stalkers/1 sentry. Just chronoboost warp gate if you see an attack incoming, warp in like 2 zealots and a stalker, np. The key thing to note in these situations is that stalkers can kill anything as long as they have a meat shield; if you force the terran to kite with zealots/probes, the stalkers will do their part.
StrategyAllyssa Grey <3<3
Bloody
Profile Joined March 2009
Sweden194 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-10-09 19:50:19
October 09 2012 19:49 GMT
#6927
Someone who wants to take a look at a game that I played against a zerg on daybreak? He opened up 7pool did no dmg and when I attacked with 188/200 he had 155supply and hold my attack + my warp ins too.

Here is the game: http://drop.sc/262873
Clarity_nl
Profile Joined November 2011
Netherlands6826 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-10-09 20:37:10
October 09 2012 20:22 GMT
#6928
Back again for another PvT 1 gate FE (30 supply) question.
After double forge (the timing of which depends on my opponent, but let's assume after 3gate and robo, before colossus tech) I get a twilight council when 1/1 is halfway, since I need it for 2-2.
It only makes sense to use the twilight council in this case, but which upgrade should I prefer first?
My experience is that blink is amazing against drops, but not so much frontal engagements, and charge is amazing at frontal engagements, but not so much drops.

Does this mean it's a stylistic choice, or do some people have a strong opinion of one simply being better than the other?

On October 10 2012 04:49 Bloody wrote:
Someone who wants to take a look at a game that I played against a zerg on daybreak? He opened up 7pool did no dmg and when I attacked with 188/200 he had 155supply and hold my attack + my warp ins too.

Here is the game: http://drop.sc/262873


From a Z perspective:
You were winning until you forced a fight. You sniped his fourth and denied his fifth, at that time if you had walked back, taken your own 4th and maybe even 5th, and chrono'd out a mommaship, you would have won that game.
You attacked into a bunch of spines at an awkward angle and BARELY lose.

Instead of going for the jugular, just keep denying expansions, only fight with a purpose, and the purpose should never be *To win right now* unless you are a 100% sure you will win.

So moving forward was good, denied 2 expansions, if at the same time you take a fourth and tech to mommaship you win.
FIGHT THE GOOD FIGHT AGAINST STUPIDITY CLARITY, I BELIEVE IN YOU! - Palmar
GoingGoingGone
Profile Blog Joined January 2012
Slovakia529 Posts
October 09 2012 20:30 GMT
#6929
On October 10 2012 04:49 Bloody wrote:
Someone who wants to take a look at a game that I played against a zerg on daybreak? He opened up 7pool did no dmg and when I attacked with 188/200 he had 155supply and hold my attack + my warp ins too.

Here is the game: http://drop.sc/262873


My opinion:
The first little skrimish was alright, you killed a broodlord or two and you managed to save the group of fungaled stalkers. After that, however, you attacked up the chokepoint (not the best idea generally), without destroing the rocks (even worse), into several spine crawlers (a big risk), with the wounded stalkers going first, without even regenerating their shields. All it took was some lings, some fungals and broodlords in a good spot.

The right move, in my opinion, was attacking his fourth. He had no defences there, his army was weak when you attacked (like four broods) and he was slightly out of position. If you had an observer around, you could've known that. So, IMO, the right move was to attack that base, back off, take a fourth and maybe try to find another opening. Containing the Zerg on three bases was pretty much the best thing you could do, given the amount of spines he had.

And after that failed attack, it was his good idea to make a metric ton of lings and run you over when you, most likely, anticipated more BL/Infestor. And he had like 3/2 lings.

I hope this helped at least a bit.
Busy night, but there's always room for another... unless the servers are down.
MysteryMeat1
Profile Blog Joined June 2011
United States3292 Posts
October 09 2012 20:30 GMT
#6930
On October 10 2012 05:22 Clarity_nl wrote:
Back again for another PvT 1 gate FE (30 supply) question.
After double forge (the timing of which depends on my opponent, but let's assume after 3gate and robo, before colossus tech) I get a twilight council when 1/1 is halfway, since I need it for 2-2.
It only makes sense to use the twilight council in this case, but which upgrade should I prefer first?
My experience is that blink is amazing against drops, but not so much frontal engagements, and charge is amazing at frontal engagements, but not so much drops.

Does this mean it's a stylistic choice, or do some people have a strong opinion of one simply being better than the other?



Its pretty much a stylistic choice, I know a lot of ST protosses like squirtle tend to get blink first. However I think it also depends on what your follow up tech choice is. I've been playing around with just getting one collosus and then going to templar and in my experience getting blink isn't the right choice since you will just die to marauders. However if you go collosus then i think you have a lot more leeway on which one you want to get.
"Cause ya know, Style before victory." -The greatest mafia player alive
ineversmile
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
United States583 Posts
October 09 2012 22:28 GMT
#6931
On October 10 2012 02:21 Teoita wrote:
If you don't already have phoenixes don't invest into them. Otherwise, fleet beacon and 8-10 phoenixes or so (from a starting point of 4-6) works well. You should still invest into some other tech (colossi work great here) that allows you both to kill lings and other ground based armies, as well as to push pre hive; you should be able to afford both on 3 bases.

If you don't go phoenix, go blink before storm; storm is absolutely necessary when the muta flock grows.

Archons alone aren't enough as you need storm eventually, so ht archives should go down before the dt shrine. Going dt helps to keep in check his base count, as he will likely get a ton of expandsions behind the mutas. Archons are fine if you get them from templar with no energy, but it's not worth it to rush for them.


This is all 100% true. I want to add that my preference, rather than Colossi, is to go double forge Chargelots. Then your army is ranged Phoenixes and Chargelots, with heavy upgrades. That's a very mobile, very cost-effective army that beats the living brains out of Muta/Ling while having some strong upsides against Infestor switches and being able to trade efficiently slightly turtled zerg bases. I like to prepare 2 Robos in case of a Roach switch, in which case I start double-pumping chronoed Immortals, which should be enough alongside Grav Lifts and heavily upgraded chargelots.
Nostradamus.146@AM, Nostradamus.398@KR, Nostradamus.922@EU http://www.teamliquid.net/blog/ins
Nick_54
Profile Blog Joined November 2007
United States2230 Posts
October 09 2012 22:53 GMT
#6932
Hello protoss players. I was a broodwar toss and am an sc2 terran. A real life friend is getting into sc2 finally. I want to link him to a few vods from each protoss matchup. I would prefer if they are recent, so he could stay up to date with the latest metagame. I have a few different tosses in mind like Rain, Creator, MC, and Seed.

Let me know some good vods and maybe some tips that you think might be benifical to a bronze toss player. Thanks a ton in advance for the help. For pvt I was thinking maybe the Creator vs Sting from the TSL semis on daybreak would be a good example of Creator's solid build and style.

Let me know what you think. Thanks !
Gumbi
Profile Joined June 2012
Ireland463 Posts
October 09 2012 22:55 GMT
#6933
I wonder is it worth it to get blink and drop SG after seeing a Spire. I speak of a situation where the Toss's defense will end up being a tight one for the first few mins - ie Z goes Spire and Toss gets a quick third. The delayed tech and units puts the toss in a precarious position against Mutas for several minutes, requiring excellent reaction to stay alive. Would it be worth dropping a SG and Chronoing some Phoenixes in order to augment the Stalkers in the defense? I'm a mid-high masters toss, but as Mutas are somewhat uncommon (and since I amn't great vs them) I ask this :D
Clarity_nl
Profile Joined November 2011
Netherlands6826 Posts
October 09 2012 23:16 GMT
#6934
On October 10 2012 07:55 Gumbi wrote:
I wonder is it worth it to get blink and drop SG after seeing a Spire. I speak of a situation where the Toss's defense will end up being a tight one for the first few mins - ie Z goes Spire and Toss gets a quick third. The delayed tech and units puts the toss in a precarious position against Mutas for several minutes, requiring excellent reaction to stay alive. Would it be worth dropping a SG and Chronoing some Phoenixes in order to augment the Stalkers in the defense? I'm a mid-high masters toss, but as Mutas are somewhat uncommon (and since I amn't great vs them) I ask this :D


I could see this working if you're super careful with your phoenixes. They're obviously faster so they can keep mutas busy by dancing back and forth, reducing the damage they do.
My two major concerns would be how fragile phoenixes are, and overproducing them.

All theorycrafting from me though.
FIGHT THE GOOD FIGHT AGAINST STUPIDITY CLARITY, I BELIEVE IN YOU! - Palmar
ineversmile
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
United States583 Posts
October 10 2012 01:06 GMT
#6935
On October 10 2012 07:55 Gumbi wrote:
I wonder is it worth it to get blink and drop SG after seeing a Spire. I speak of a situation where the Toss's defense will end up being a tight one for the first few mins - ie Z goes Spire and Toss gets a quick third. The delayed tech and units puts the toss in a precarious position against Mutas for several minutes, requiring excellent reaction to stay alive. Would it be worth dropping a SG and Chronoing some Phoenixes in order to augment the Stalkers in the defense? I'm a mid-high masters toss, but as Mutas are somewhat uncommon (and since I amn't great vs them) I ask this :D


You basically need to commit to one or the other, at that point. Reactively going Stargate is fine if you do it while the Spire is halfway finished, since that means you start Phoenix production about when the Zerg starts his Mutas and you can build enough to contest his fleet before you have enough to overpower it. But you honestly should be going double or even triple Stargate if that's your reaction, because without range you need some strong numbers and serious micro to wage an air war on Mutas.

Overmaking Phoenixes isn't really a problem, though. When the mutas die, you can go across the map and kill all of his queens, a couple dozen drones, force a dozen more to turn themselves into spores, and then kill off a bunch of ovies. If you win the air war, you're getting your money's worth out of Phoenixes. It's just a matter of winning that air war.
Nostradamus.146@AM, Nostradamus.398@KR, Nostradamus.922@EU http://www.teamliquid.net/blog/ins
EsportsJohn
Profile Blog Joined June 2012
United States4883 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-10-10 10:42:54
October 10 2012 10:42 GMT
#6936
On October 10 2012 05:22 Clarity_nl wrote:
Back again for another PvT 1 gate FE (30 supply) question.
After double forge (the timing of which depends on my opponent, but let's assume after 3gate and robo, before colossus tech) I get a twilight council when 1/1 is halfway, since I need it for 2-2.
It only makes sense to use the twilight council in this case, but which upgrade should I prefer first?
My experience is that blink is amazing against drops, but not so much frontal engagements, and charge is amazing at frontal engagements, but not so much drops.

Does this mean it's a stylistic choice, or do some people have a strong opinion of one simply being better than the other?



I generally boil it down to a stylistic choice of "do I want to be aggressive or defensive?" Generally if I want to get aggressive and attack terran back, I'll get chargelots because 1) zealot/archon with +1/+1 can actually deal with stimmed MMM and 2) you'll have an abundance of gateways that you can use to warp zealots in on top of drops. Getting blink and stalkers is more of a passive choice. It allows you get to storm/colossus and +2/+2 up while taking your 3rd safely.

As a sidenote, I feel like you should be getting your twilight up sooner as well, like when forges are halfway done building. This generally lines up so that blink/charge finishes with +1/+1. After you start all your upgrades, you want to add a swell of gateways to deal with 9:00+ pressure.
StrategyAllyssa Grey <3<3
EsportsJohn
Profile Blog Joined June 2012
United States4883 Posts
October 10 2012 10:48 GMT
#6937
I've been playing around with the triple nexus build in PvT some. I would just like to hear some ideas on how to hold it, which maps, etc.

1) I feel like triple nexus limits you to only going mass gateway units with +1/+1 OR templar tech. Is this true? Is it possible to ever go into colossus? In addition, what is the primary difference between mass gateway units versus templar tech?

2) What maps work well for triple nexus? I played a game with a friend on Antiga Shipyard and I feel like it is nearly impossible to hold 3 fast nexuses on that map with a 10:30 timing. He disagrees, but I think Ohana or Daybreak is by far a better option.

3) Are there any special considerations or timings for triple nexus, such as a marine pushout timing or an early stim timing? If my opponent does something wonky like hellion drops into tanks, should I change the way I play the midgame out?

Thanks for your help! Any extra advice is gladly appreciated!
StrategyAllyssa Grey <3<3
Clarity_nl
Profile Joined November 2011
Netherlands6826 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-10-10 11:39:57
October 10 2012 11:39 GMT
#6938
On October 10 2012 19:42 SC2John wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 10 2012 05:22 Clarity_nl wrote:
Back again for another PvT 1 gate FE (30 supply) question.
After double forge (the timing of which depends on my opponent, but let's assume after 3gate and robo, before colossus tech) I get a twilight council when 1/1 is halfway, since I need it for 2-2.
It only makes sense to use the twilight council in this case, but which upgrade should I prefer first?
My experience is that blink is amazing against drops, but not so much frontal engagements, and charge is amazing at frontal engagements, but not so much drops.

Does this mean it's a stylistic choice, or do some people have a strong opinion of one simply being better than the other?



I generally boil it down to a stylistic choice of "do I want to be aggressive or defensive?" Generally if I want to get aggressive and attack terran back, I'll get chargelots because 1) zealot/archon with +1/+1 can actually deal with stimmed MMM and 2) you'll have an abundance of gateways that you can use to warp zealots in on top of drops. Getting blink and stalkers is more of a passive choice. It allows you get to storm/colossus and +2/+2 up while taking your 3rd safely.

As a sidenote, I feel like you should be getting your twilight up sooner as well, like when forges are halfway done building. This generally lines up so that blink/charge finishes with +1/+1. After you start all your upgrades, you want to add a swell of gateways to deal with 9:00+ pressure.


Playing both PvT and TvP I feel that when I expand with a double forge follow-up I don't really need to do a timing.
In fact I'm not even sure I could get charge without cutting units or probes that early, I'll mess around with it a bit.
I've usually been pushing with 2-2 and charge, as 1-1 MIGHT give me an upgrade advantage but 2-2 is guaranteed to do this, if I chronoboost properly. I also favor getting colossus before archons/templar so this might be why.

To me a lot of it seems counterintuitive because whether I choose colossus or templar, that's where my gas is going (as well as upgrades and twilight upgrade), meaning I end up with a lot of zealots anyway. But when I go colossus I'm super scared of drops if I were to get charge, even with decent cannon placement (2 in main, 2 at third, army at nat). I skip the cannons if I get blink or templar.
So I end up in this weird situation with more zealots than stalkers, but I have blink to be defensive.
FIGHT THE GOOD FIGHT AGAINST STUPIDITY CLARITY, I BELIEVE IN YOU! - Palmar
ineversmile
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
United States583 Posts
October 10 2012 12:27 GMT
#6939
On October 10 2012 19:48 SC2John wrote:
I've been playing around with the triple nexus build in PvT some. I would just like to hear some ideas on how to hold it, which maps, etc.

1) I feel like triple nexus limits you to only going mass gateway units with +1/+1 OR templar tech. Is this true? Is it possible to ever go into colossus? In addition, what is the primary difference between mass gateway units versus templar tech?

2) What maps work well for triple nexus? I played a game with a friend on Antiga Shipyard and I feel like it is nearly impossible to hold 3 fast nexuses on that map with a 10:30 timing. He disagrees, but I think Ohana or Daybreak is by far a better option.

3) Are there any special considerations or timings for triple nexus, such as a marine pushout timing or an early stim timing? If my opponent does something wonky like hellion drops into tanks, should I change the way I play the midgame out?

Thanks for your help! Any extra advice is gladly appreciated!


1) You are building 2 Nexi, so your money is invested into economy instead of production, units, and tech. This means colossi are delayed heavily because gases are delayed heavily (usually triple nexus is off of one gas, or 2 gas with 2 probes on each, and almost always just 1 gate). Each Nexus is 2 and 2/3 gateways you could build. Each gas is 1/2 a gateway. Every ~100 gas you mine could be minerals instead, which means more gateways and units. And then there's probe production, which is even more of a mineral sink while you're boosting workers...sure, they pay off, but they take time to do so. So when you go triple Nexus, you should be teching to something simple to solve your problems. That's why most people just go mass gateway units and maybe get a Robo or a Twilight to have one extra bit of tech to help them out. Templar take way too long, as do Colossi, but if you get maybe a couple of Obs out or Blink or Charge, you can handle the ~11 minute Bio Move-Out pretty well. You can try to tech Colossi off of triple Nexus, but you should really only do it reactively to opposing greedy play or otherwise plan to sac a Nexus if things go wrong.

2) Antiga Shipyard is a screwball map that should honestly only be played with forced cross-spawns because drops are already good enough on that map without your opponent being able to drop from his main to your third in a couple of seconds. Part of what balances maps is that rush distances exist, so you can see something coming and prepare for it. When you're close Spawn on Antiga, just forget about playing 3Nexus. This is one of the plethora of reasons why I thumbs it down on ladder. It's not even a gripe about PvT; I just think the map is fundamentally flawed.

I do like Ohana and Daybreak for triple Nexus. Ohana is really good for chargelots out on the open map, but also great for stalker/sentry/immortal at choke points into your natural and third. Daybreak is a very simple map to scout and, so long as you handle drops into your main properly, it's fine to go 3 Nexus against that timing. The main thing is that your opponent actually has to walk/fly across the map with his units in order to attack you, which is not the case on Antiga close spawns. Although, for Ohana, I recommend taking down the rocks quickly so you can actually go from your nat to your third.

3) I personally use a 9 scout and Nexus first in PvT, so I get information about what my opponent is doing immediately and then make a judgment from there. I'm a very reactive player, so that's what I prefer. Against CC first, I'll even up the ante and just go triple Nexus before gateway. But, I do this based upon scouting--I think it's worth the 9 scout to gain that information. If I see early gas from the terran, I don't go triple Nexus; I prepare for 2 raxing and tech-based pressures. I also generally scout a lot and do a lot of follow-up scouts and pokes, so that's how I handle things with very economical-based play.

Basically, if you know it's CC first, you can triple Nexus before gate and get away with it. If it's gasless 1rax expand, you can go third Nexus on 1 gas and then build a bunch of gates to time out to your warpgate timing finishing, which is about when your big economy will start rolling. The more actively you can be out on the map checking for units moving out, the better chance you have of intercepting armies en route to you and being able to handle business. In other words, play it like you're Zerg. Drone, drone, drone, see units moving out, make units reactively.
Nostradamus.146@AM, Nostradamus.398@KR, Nostradamus.922@EU http://www.teamliquid.net/blog/ins
EsportsJohn
Profile Blog Joined June 2012
United States4883 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-10-10 12:46:53
October 10 2012 12:41 GMT
#6940
On October 10 2012 20:39 Clarity_nl wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 10 2012 19:42 SC2John wrote:
On October 10 2012 05:22 Clarity_nl wrote:
Back again for another PvT 1 gate FE (30 supply) question.
After double forge (the timing of which depends on my opponent, but let's assume after 3gate and robo, before colossus tech) I get a twilight council when 1/1 is halfway, since I need it for 2-2.
It only makes sense to use the twilight council in this case, but which upgrade should I prefer first?
My experience is that blink is amazing against drops, but not so much frontal engagements, and charge is amazing at frontal engagements, but not so much drops.

Does this mean it's a stylistic choice, or do some people have a strong opinion of one simply being better than the other?



I generally boil it down to a stylistic choice of "do I want to be aggressive or defensive?" Generally if I want to get aggressive and attack terran back, I'll get chargelots because 1) zealot/archon with +1/+1 can actually deal with stimmed MMM and 2) you'll have an abundance of gateways that you can use to warp zealots in on top of drops. Getting blink and stalkers is more of a passive choice. It allows you get to storm/colossus and +2/+2 up while taking your 3rd safely.

As a sidenote, I feel like you should be getting your twilight up sooner as well, like when forges are halfway done building. This generally lines up so that blink/charge finishes with +1/+1. After you start all your upgrades, you want to add a swell of gateways to deal with 9:00+ pressure.


Playing both PvT and TvP I feel that when I expand with a double forge follow-up I don't really need to do a timing.
In fact I'm not even sure I could get charge without cutting units or probes that early, I'll mess around with it a bit.
I've usually been pushing with 2-2 and charge, as 1-1 MIGHT give me an upgrade advantage but 2-2 is guaranteed to do this, if I chronoboost properly. I also favor getting colossus before archons/templar so this might be why.

To me a lot of it seems counterintuitive because whether I choose colossus or templar, that's where my gas is going (as well as upgrades and twilight upgrade), meaning I end up with a lot of zealots anyway. But when I go colossus I'm super scared of drops if I were to get charge, even with decent cannon placement (2 in main, 2 at third, army at nat). I skip the cannons if I get blink or templar.
So I end up in this weird situation with more zealots than stalkers, but I have blink to be defensive.



That's okay, you really should have only 5 or 6 stalkers to defend from drops. The rest should be zealot/colossus/A sentry.

As to your build, the double forge into colossus: In my opinion, I prefer to get a single unupgraded colossus out before upgrades; while this delays the upgrades, they're still earlier than the terran's upgrades (as well as passing them by with chronoboost) and you have a single colossus to deal with the first initial poke a lot better. In many cases, terrans will start building vikings immediately against your 1 colossus while you build templar. (This also explains why, for me, it's important for +1/+1 to line up with charge/blink at 10:00).

But anywayz! If you think about your build, it DOES time up nicely with 2/2 and charge, and I honestly think that if you're pushing upgrades that early, you should be taking advantage of primarily gateway-based attacks in the midgame. That being said, zealot/archon while taking a 3rd makes more sense to me than going for colossus immediately. If you're attacking early and aggressively with an excess amount of gateways (8-10 gateways), you allow yourself to do a lot of damage while defending from drops with warpins and you don't need cannons and stalkers and stuff to defend. Just some thoughts!

EDIT: And you should be cutting units, BTW. I can't see why you would ever warp in any units after warp gate unless you had some pressure coming or you're doing some kind of 3-gate pressure. Otherwise, all your money should go directly to upgrades and probes!

On October 10 2012 21:27 ineversmile wrote:

1) You are building 2 Nexi, so your money is invested into economy instead of production, units, and tech. This means colossi are delayed heavily because gases are delayed heavily (usually triple nexus is off of one gas, or 2 gas with 2 probes on each, and almost always just 1 gate). Each Nexus is 2 and 2/3 gateways you could build. Each gas is 1/2 a gateway. Every ~100 gas you mine could be minerals instead, which means more gateways and units. And then there's probe production, which is even more of a mineral sink while you're boosting workers...sure, they pay off, but they take time to do so. So when you go triple Nexus, you should be teching to something simple to solve your problems. That's why most people just go mass gateway units and maybe get a Robo or a Twilight to have one extra bit of tech to help them out. Templar take way too long, as do Colossi, but if you get maybe a couple of Obs out or Blink or Charge, you can handle the ~11 minute Bio Move-Out pretty well. You can try to tech Colossi off of triple Nexus, but you should really only do it reactively to opposing greedy play or otherwise plan to sac a Nexus if things go wrong.

2) Antiga Shipyard is a screwball map that should honestly only be played with forced cross-spawns because drops are already good enough on that map without your opponent being able to drop from his main to your third in a couple of seconds. Part of what balances maps is that rush distances exist, so you can see something coming and prepare for it. When you're close Spawn on Antiga, just forget about playing 3Nexus. This is one of the plethora of reasons why I thumbs it down on ladder. It's not even a gripe about PvT; I just think the map is fundamentally flawed.

I do like Ohana and Daybreak for triple Nexus. Ohana is really good for chargelots out on the open map, but also great for stalker/sentry/immortal at choke points into your natural and third. Daybreak is a very simple map to scout and, so long as you handle drops into your main properly, it's fine to go 3 Nexus against that timing. The main thing is that your opponent actually has to walk/fly across the map with his units in order to attack you, which is not the case on Antiga close spawns. Although, for Ohana, I recommend taking down the rocks quickly so you can actually go from your nat to your third.

3) I personally use a 9 scout and Nexus first in PvT, so I get information about what my opponent is doing immediately and then make a judgment from there. I'm a very reactive player, so that's what I prefer. Against CC first, I'll even up the ante and just go triple Nexus before gateway. But, I do this based upon scouting--I think it's worth the 9 scout to gain that information. If I see early gas from the terran, I don't go triple Nexus; I prepare for 2 raxing and tech-based pressures. I also generally scout a lot and do a lot of follow-up scouts and pokes, so that's how I handle things with very economical-based play.

Basically, if you know it's CC first, you can triple Nexus before gate and get away with it. If it's gasless 1rax expand, you can go third Nexus on 1 gas and then build a bunch of gates to time out to your warpgate timing finishing, which is about when your big economy will start rolling. The more actively you can be out on the map checking for units moving out, the better chance you have of intercepting armies en route to you and being able to handle business. In other words, play it like you're Zerg. Drone, drone, drone, see units moving out, make units reactively.


Thanks for the advice! I generally do a 1-rax FE similar to MC's (might actually be MC's FE now), and just some little things have been throwing me off, so I was wondering if I could get away with some triple nexus play. Might start trying it out on ladder a lot to get a good feel for it. Thanks again!

StrategyAllyssa Grey <3<3
Prev 1 345 346 347 348 349 432 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
PiGosaur Cup
00:00
#101 (PatchesSC Mod Edition)
PiGStarcraft428
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
PiGStarcraft428
RuFF_SC2 138
Nina 77
-ZergGirl 70
StarCraft: Brood War
Rain 2319
Bale 21
yabsab 13
Terrorterran 12
Shuttle 0
Dota 2
febbydoto21
Counter-Strike
Coldzera 1138
taco 410
minikerr18
Super Smash Bros
hungrybox637
Other Games
summit1g8015
JimRising 679
Day[9].tv506
C9.Mang0361
WinterStarcraft252
ViBE147
Livibee146
Maynarde137
Sick122
ArmadaUGS39
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick1079
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream131
[ Show 12 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Response 13
• OhrlRock 3
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Pr0nogo 7
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Other Games
• Day9tv506
Upcoming Events
Kung Fu Cup
8h 3m
Stellar Fest
10h 3m
The PondCast
1d 7h
OSC
1d 10h
Stellar Fest
1d 10h
OSC
1d 21h
Stellar Fest
2 days
CranKy Ducklings
3 days
Online Event
3 days
FEL
3 days
[ Show More ]
AI Arena Tournament
3 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
3 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
4 days
INu's Battles
4 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
Replay Cast
4 days
WardiTV Weekly
5 days
Replay Cast
5 days
INu's Battles
6 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.