• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 22:20
CEST 04:20
KST 11:20
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon111
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16)
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Official StarCraft website teases new content ahead of BlizzCon? Bot on ladder a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing Where can I find Flash replays that work? BW General Discussion
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine All you football fans (soccer)! Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8707 users

The Protoss Help Me Thread - Page 345

Forum Index > StarCraft 2 Strategy
Post a Reply
Prev 1 343 344 345 346 347 432 Next
Make sure you read the OP before asking a question. Asking a question already addressed in the OP will result in moderation action.
rd
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
United States2586 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-10-06 05:33:17
October 06 2012 05:31 GMT
#6881
On October 06 2012 11:23 Clarity_nl wrote:
In PvT, when would it be appropriate to go templar/archon instead of colossus? Or if the choice is stylistic, what are the differences?
For simplicity let's say T 1 rax FE and P 1 gate FE, no aggression from either.


Entirely stylistic. Both are equally able to open against Terran -- though eventually as you move to 3 and 4 base you will want both. There aren't really many differences to speak of between either opening as it's just re-appropriating your gas elsewhere. The difference really is in how your opponent responds to each opening, but this is somewhat expected. Templar tech armies will run way more gateways on 2/3 bases than colossi will, but you're eventually going to have to add the opposing tech's infrastructure for a well rounded late game anyways, so that's not necessarily a difference.
Teoita
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
Italy12248 Posts
October 06 2012 07:46 GMT
#6882
On October 06 2012 11:23 Clarity_nl wrote:
In PvT, when would it be appropriate to go templar/archon instead of colossus? Or if the choice is stylistic, what are the differences?
For simplicity let's say T 1 rax FE and P 1 gate FE, no aggression from either.


If both sides fast expand it's a stylistic choice. A couple of good templar builds are http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=319339 and http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=364130.

If he's opening gas it's harder to open templar because while you can get colossi in time vs some one base allins, in some situations, it's basically impossible to tech to templar in that spot, and by the time you can confirm expand or allin (around 9 minutes or so if you go for a safe 3 gate into robo) it's too late to choose what kind of midgame composition you want to go for.
ModeratorProtoss all-ins are like a wok. You can throw whatever you want in there and it will turn out alright.
Bjox
Profile Joined January 2011
Australia9 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-10-07 06:55:41
October 07 2012 00:54 GMT
#6883
Sorry if this is in the wrong thread. I've just gotten back into sc2 and I was wondering what the most (widely accepted) safest opening there are as Protoss.
For example, I know a while ago it was (and possibly still is) 3gate into blink-robo for PvP. Also, what are some key things that hint an all-in that I should be looking for when I scout. I really don't know what I'm looking at anymore!

Again, sorry if I posted this in the wrong spot. I'm fairly sure this doesn't warrant it's own thread.

User was warned for this post

/Edit: Oh, wow! Sorry, I really don't know how I missed that. (It's even the very first part of the op) Terribly sorry, Thanks for the quick replies though.
ineversmile
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
United States583 Posts
October 07 2012 01:08 GMT
#6884
On October 07 2012 09:54 Bjox wrote:
Sorry if this is in the wrong thread. I've just gotten back into sc2 and I was wondering what the most (widely accepted) safest opening there are as Protoss.
For example, I know a while ago it was (and possibly still is) 3gate into blink-robo for PvP. Also, what are some key things that hint an all-in that I should be looking for when I scout. I really don't know what I'm looking at anymore!

Again, sorry if I posted this in the wrong spot. I'm fairly sure this doesn't warrant it's own thread.


Read the first post in the thread and then come back if you have a more specific problem.
Nostradamus.146@AM, Nostradamus.398@KR, Nostradamus.922@EU http://www.teamliquid.net/blog/ins
Dabba
Profile Joined January 2010
United States182 Posts
October 07 2012 02:15 GMT
#6885
On October 07 2012 09:54 Bjox wrote:
Sorry if this is in the wrong thread. I've just gotten back into sc2 and I was wondering what the most (widely accepted) safest opening there are as Protoss.
For example, I know a while ago it was (and possibly still is) 3gate into blink-robo for PvP. Also, what are some key things that hint an all-in that I should be looking for when I scout. I really don't know what I'm looking at anymore!

Again, sorry if I posted this in the wrong spot. I'm fairly sure this doesn't warrant it's own thread.

User was warned for this post


Without refering you to the first page. I hear 2gate robo is probably the "safest build" but I either prefer a 3 gate expand, in which I expand behind agression and add my robo after nexus, or If i don't feel safe Ie, he's going to one base/all in me Ill add the second gas and robo sooner and just start making units until i feel it is safe to expand. This is coming from a high gold players perspective.
Chandra
Profile Joined July 2011
United States123 Posts
October 07 2012 08:04 GMT
#6886
What's a good, general build order for a quick 1 base blink-obs all-in for PvT? Alternatively, does anyone know of any VODs/replays showing such a build? I'm assuming it will be more greedy than a blink/obs PvP build, but I'm not sure how exactly to go about it.
Teoita
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
Italy12248 Posts
October 07 2012 09:30 GMT
#6887
MC vs MKP on Antiga Shipyard from one or two seasons ago.

Essentially in PvT you co zealot/stlaker/stalker and then cut units entirely and strat adding then and then infrastructure, going up to 26 ish probes before cutting.

Against a gas opening you may want a few more units but i don't know the build and timings well enough to tell.
ModeratorProtoss all-ins are like a wok. You can throw whatever you want in there and it will turn out alright.
Gumbi
Profile Joined June 2012
Ireland463 Posts
October 07 2012 11:59 GMT
#6888
On October 07 2012 17:04 Chandra wrote:
What's a good, general build order for a quick 1 base blink-obs all-in for PvT? Alternatively, does anyone know of any VODs/replays showing such a build? I'm assuming it will be more greedy than a blink/obs PvP build, but I'm not sure how exactly to go about it.

MLG (a few months ago), MC vs Heart, first game on Shakuras comes to mind.
Sated
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
England4983 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-10-07 17:47:14
October 07 2012 17:46 GMT
#6889
--- Nuked ---
Jasiwel
Profile Joined June 2012
United States146 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-10-07 20:57:03
October 07 2012 19:35 GMT
#6890
I'll say it again, but simply put you should never go for all-in builds. Going all-in because you see that your opponent is about to ace you is one thing, but creating builds to go all-in is never a great idea in the long term. It doesn't really improve your Macro all that much and it isn't productive for teaching you to react as well. I mean, All-In builds are great if you want to learn timing, how long it takes to produce buildings/units in perspective to the clock, and the problems that are associated with going a strictly all-in build. However, I discourage it because it's about as unsportsmanlike as cheesing and doesn't demonstrate who is actually better at the game. In fact, I might be as bold as saying that builds which intentionally go for an All-In of any kind can be considered cheese and unsportsmanlike.
Teoita
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
Italy12248 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-10-07 19:58:54
October 07 2012 19:58 GMT
#6891
All-ins and cheese are part of the game, deal with it. In any RTS, aggression>greedy>safety>aggression. All-ins are just heavy aggression. Sure most of them are coinflippy, but so is playing overly safe or overly greedy.
ModeratorProtoss all-ins are like a wok. You can throw whatever you want in there and it will turn out alright.
Chylith
Profile Joined April 2011
Canada167 Posts
October 07 2012 20:40 GMT
#6892
+ Show Spoiler +
On October 08 2012 04:35 Jasiwel wrote:
I'll say it again, but simply put you should never go for all-in builds. Going all-in because you see that your opponent is about to ace you is one thing, but creating builds to go all-in is never a great idea in the long term. It doesn't really improve your Macro all that much and it isn't productive for teaching you to react as well. I mean, All-In builds are great if you want to learn timing, how long it takes to produce buildings/units in perspective to the clock, and the problems that are associated with going a strictly all-in build. However, I discourage it because it's about as unsportsmanlike as cheesing and doesn't demonstrate who is actually better at the game. In fact, I might be as bold as saying that builds which intentionally go for an All-In of any kind can be considered cheese and unsportsmanlike.

This is terrible advice and just about everything in this sentence is wrong. All-ins can actually be great to learn things like multitasking and split second decision-making with.

Sure, you can learn that stuff in a macro game as well, however it's also more forgiving if you make 1 wrong decision in a macro game, or if you mismicro some units, or stop microing to macro. When you allin vs a good player you don't have the luxury of being "fine" if you make a single wrong decision or if you mismicro something.

In a Best of "X" allins are not only good, but necessary, that's why players like MVP are willing to 2 rax allin 1 game, and 15 CC another. It makes you predictable otherwise. On ladder it's not quite as necessary from that perspective, but it's still good practice of a different style than just pure macro, and it can be fun/help relieve stress.

And to say that allins are unsportsmanlike is easily one of the most stupid things I've seen written on this forum. That's like saying that going allin on an Ace 3 hand in poker as a bluff is unsportsmanlike. Just because you can't handle the strat, doesn't mean it's not valid. I'd argue it's unsportsmanlike to hold such an opinion towards a valid branch of strategy, infact. =p
Goddamnit this is the most retarded thing I will read all week and it's only fucking tuesday. ~Hawk
Jasiwel
Profile Joined June 2012
United States146 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-10-07 21:07:30
October 07 2012 20:47 GMT
#6893
^I said after a point. If you're a Masters player and all you do is All-In/Cheese, then you're missing a lot of skill. I also stated All-In builds were unsportsmanlike. Going All-In because it's the proper decision when given information is an entirely different story. And I feel saying that not going for All-Ins making your predictable is a very stupid statement. That just makes it sound like you have no understanding of how a longer game works. When I say Macro games, I mean games that proceed to the late game and not ones that end at the mid game or early. A Macro game contains all kinds of encounters, from pressure to harassment to containing and finally to a great falling action to a conclusion. You should never AIM to go All-In, it should be a last resort.

On a technicality, you have only been here one year (I've been here less too), so you wouldn't know what the stupidest post on these forums would be. Technically speaking though, not that it matters.

On October 08 2012 04:58 Teoita wrote:
All-ins and cheese are part of the game, deal with it. In any RTS, aggression>greedy>safety>aggression. All-ins are just heavy aggression. Sure most of them are coinflippy, but so is playing overly safe or overly greedy.

That's a tough mentality. The problem with that is that it doesn't answer the main point of becoming any better at the game by going all-in after a certain point. Once someone holds the all-in, the game is over. I'm good at holding all-ins, in fact it's half of my wins. But I want to defer that going All-In is not the same as heavy aggression. That's just choosing to harass more than defend, which is basically Muta play. You are taking a risk by it, but the game is made of risks. Going for All-In builds to me is creating a build specifically for an encounter that may secure a win straight up at a certain time between the early and midgame. Your builds (I hate that term to be honest) should have an opening followed by flexibility based off of what you have scouted off of your opponent and how to handle your opponent based off of that information. Going All-In anytime before the lategame is just quantitative rather than qualitative. You are not becoming any better for going Sentry/Immortal every Zerg game.

But you are absolutely right about aggression>greedy>safety>aggression. However, a good player is able to switch those three mindsets given his situation. The point I was trying to make is that a good player doesn't just go all-in. A good player can do that, Macro, and more. However, I do feel that All-In builds are still detrimental for being a better player after Platinum, especially for Protoss. I just find it really grimy that there are builds (as in build orders from the beginning of a game) specifically set up to go All-In.

I understand that going All-In is part of the game, because it simply is a legitimate strategy, but encouraging it is like encouraging someone to cheese. They won't learn the game that way and it's a narrow way to tackle anything. Timings accomplish the same thing without going for an All-In build and can be successful enough without meaning you lose if you fail. Go for timings rather than All-In builds. That said, I think it would be incredibly stupid to say that you shouldn't learn how to defend against all-in builds because their sheepish. I hope you understand now.
Teoita
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
Italy12248 Posts
October 07 2012 21:04 GMT
#6894
^I said after a point. If your a Masters player and all you do is All-In/Cheese, then you're missing a lot of skill. I also stated All-In builds were unsportsmanlike. Going All-In because it's the proper decision when given information is an entirely different story.


The situations in which that can happen, ie you have a safe macro build that can all of a sudden deviate into an all-in, are extremely rare.

That's a tough mentality. The problem with that is that it doesn't answer the main point of becoming any better at the game by going all-in after a certain point. Once someone holds the all-in, the game is over. I'm good at holding all-ins, in fact it's half of my wins. But I want to defer that going All-In is not the same as heavy aggression. That's just choosing to harass more than defend, which is basically Muta play. You are taking a risk by it, but the game is made of risks. Going for All-In builds to me is creating a build specifically for an encounter that may secure a win straight up at a certain time between the early and midgame. Your builds (I hate that term to be honest) should have an opening followed by flexibility based off of what you have scouted off of your opponent and how to handle your opponent based off of that information. Going All-In anytime before the lategame is just quantitative rather than qualitative. You are not becoming any better for going Sentry/Immortal every Zerg game.

But you are absolutely right about aggression>greedy>safety>aggression. However, a good player is able to switch those three mindsets given his situation. The point I was trying to make is that a good player doesn't just go all-in. A good player can do that, Macro, and more. However, I do feel that All-In builds are still detrimental after Platinum.


There is no perfect build in starcraft 2, in bw, or in any rts for that matter. If i do my safe 2base templar pvt opening, i'm saying "shit i hope he doesn't go 3cc". If he goes 3cc, he's saying "shit i hope he doesn't 6gate". If i 6gate, i'm saying "shit i hope he doesnt open fast tanks", and so on. No matter what build you do, you will ALWAYS be behind vs something ahead vs something else, and even vs a other things.

As far as getting a better player goes, it's a philosophical thing more than anything. If you ask a bronzie to macro off 3bases, his macro WILL go to shit and he will lose because of that. Lately i had a gold student go on a 30 game pvt win streak or something ridicolous like that simply because i taught him when to add extra production facilites. With that in mind, all-ins do prepare you to know when to add production and why, maximize the number of units at a certain point, and most especially micro his units rather than amoving. I'm not saying all-inning every game is good (it isn't), but simple builds like all-ins are as good a place to start as any.
ModeratorProtoss all-ins are like a wok. You can throw whatever you want in there and it will turn out alright.
deadmau
Profile Joined September 2010
960 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-10-07 21:08:59
October 07 2012 21:04 GMT
#6895
On October 08 2012 05:47 Jasiwel wrote:
^I said after a point. If you're a Masters player and all you do is All-In/Cheese, then you're missing a lot of skill. I also stated All-In builds were unsportsmanlike. Going All-In because it's the proper decision when given information is an entirely different story. And I feel saying that not going for All-Ins making your predictable is a very stupid statement. That just makes it sound like you have no understanding of how a longer game works. When I say Macro games, I mean games that proceed to the late game and not ones that end at the mid game or early. A Macro game contains all kinds of encounters, from pressure to harassment to containing and finally to a great falling action to a conclusion. You should never AIM to go All-In, it should be a last resort.

On a technicality, you have only been here one year (I've been here less too), so you wouldn't know what the stupidest post on these forums would be. Technically speaking though, not that it matters.

Show nested quote +
On October 08 2012 04:58 Teoita wrote:
All-ins and cheese are part of the game, deal with it. In any RTS, aggression>greedy>safety>aggression. All-ins are just heavy aggression. Sure most of them are coinflippy, but so is playing overly safe or overly greedy.

That's a tough mentality. The problem with that is that it doesn't answer the main point of becoming any better at the game by going all-in after a certain point. Once someone holds the all-in, the game is over. I'm good at holding all-ins, in fact it's half of my wins. But I want to defer that going All-In is not the same as heavy aggression. That's just choosing to harass more than defend, which is basically Muta play. You are taking a risk by it, but the game is made of risks. Going for All-In builds to me is creating a build specifically for an encounter that may secure a win straight up at a certain time between the early and midgame. Your builds (I hate that term to be honest) should have an opening followed by flexibility based off of what you have scouted off of your opponent and how to handle your opponent based off of that information. Going All-In anytime before the lategame is just quantitative rather than qualitative. You are not becoming any better for going Sentry/Immortal every Zerg game.

But you are absolutely right about aggression>greedy>safety>aggression. However, a good player is able to switch those three mindsets given his situation. The point I was trying to make is that a good player doesn't just go all-in. A good player can do that, Macro, and more. However, I do feel that All-In builds are still detrimental for being a better player after Platinum, especially for Protoss. I just find it really grimy that there are builds (as in build orders from the beginning of a game) specifically set up to go All-In.


If you believe All-in's have no place after Platinum, I'm sorry to say this, but you have a long way to go before becoming a player of any "quality" caliber. Your understanding of the game is not quite there because there's still so much to learn. Sure you understand the concept of an All-In but even in Platinum-Diamond you still have a lot of room for perfection. All-in's are deadly, but you have to be precise as fuck when executing, ESPECIALLY PAST PLATINUM. So, you're quite delusional in your assessment of all-ins.

I've been Diamond for every season, 8 straight, which is weird because most people progress rapidly and get into Masters after a few, but I suck naturally at this game so I had to eek out every little refinement I could out of all-ins. I just barely hit Masters a week ago, and I still think my all-ins are sloppy. I have tons of room to improve my all-in builds, there's just so much to work on in terms of micro, macro, and timings. PERFECTION is key for all-ins as I said before, and I'm still far from that.
Chylith
Profile Joined April 2011
Canada167 Posts
October 07 2012 21:23 GMT
#6896
+ Show Spoiler +
On October 08 2012 05:47 Jasiwel wrote:
^I said after a point. If your a Masters player and all you do is All-In/Cheese, then you're missing a lot of skill. I also stated All-In builds were unsportsmanlike. Going All-In because it's the proper decision when given information is an entirely different story. And I feel saying that not going for All-Ins making your predictable is a very stupid statement. That just makes it sound like you have no understanding of how a longer game works. When I say Macro games, I mean games that proceed to the late game and not ones that end at the mid game or early. A Macro game contains all kinds of encounters, from pressure to harassment to containing and finally to a great falling action to a conclusion.

Show nested quote +
On October 08 2012 04:58 Teoita wrote:
All-ins and cheese are part of the game, deal with it. In any RTS, aggression>greedy>safety>aggression. All-ins are just heavy aggression. Sure most of them are coinflippy, but so is playing overly safe or overly greedy.

That's a tough mentality. The problem with that is that it doesn't answer the main point of becoming any better at the game by going all-in after a certain point. Once someone holds the all-in, the game is over. I'm good at holding all-ins, in fact it's half of my wins. But I want to defer that going All-In is not the same as heavy aggression. That's just choosing to harass more than defend, which is basically Muta play. You are taking a risk by it, but the game is made of risks. Going for All-In builds to me is creating a build specifically for an encounter that may secure a win straight up at a certain time between the early and midgame. Your builds (I hate that term to be honest) should have an opening followed by flexibility based off of what you have scouted off of your opponent and how to handle your opponent based off of that information. Going All-In anytime before the lategame is just quantitative rather than qualitative. You are not becoming any better for going Sentry/Immortal every Zerg game.

But you are absolutely right about aggression>greedy>safety>aggression. However, a good player is able to switch those three mindsets given his situation. The point I was trying to make is that a good player doesn't just go all-in. A good player can do that, Macro, and more. However, I do feel that All-In builds are still detrimental for being a better player after Platinum, especially for Protoss.

My point about predictability was with regards to pro games; hence I used IMMvp as an example there. Although it's also true on ladder at higher levels.

Also, It's completely incorrect to state something like "Going All-In anytime before the lategame is just quantitative rather than qualitative." Especially when talking about a sentry/immortal allin like you did for your example. That particular build, at least in masters+ where I play, Relies almost entirely on properly hitting perfect forcefields. At lower levels I'm sure that's not "as" important but it's still the strong point of that allin, it's also one of the best ways to practice better forcefield control, good warpin timings under pressure and skills like that. Just like a blink stalker allin (like the poster you were berating above was requesting) is the best way to practice blink micro and keeping up macro while doing so.

You're also wrong about the game being "over" once someone holds an allin. Many builds(6 pool in pvz for example) are "allin" but can, and often do, transition into a strong macro game. 6 pool is a great example actually because people use that often to pop 6 initial lings and macro behind it hard, forcing toss to 3 gate expo after defending. Even then it's completely allin however because if a toss holds it completely perfectly, zerg dies. Often though that's not the case, even in pro games. I've seen(and played) many games where zerg 6 pools, protoss sacs forge, pylon cannons in the main etc and defends it "relatively" well, then dies at 40 minutes to broods. There are a lot of builds like that(6 pool, 2 rax, 90% of pvp builds, 3 gate blink in pvt, etc).

Also, while ladder(below top masters) very rarely has you facing the same player twice allins are as a whole still quite important. They're what keep the "metagame + Show Spoiler +
ugh I hate that word.
from becoming too greedy, they're what keep players honest.
Finally, you stated again that you find it "unsportsmanlike" to allin. Great, why don't you tell us why instead of ignoring both Teoita's and my own rebuttal pointing out that it's infact not only part of the game, but not at all unsportsmanlike?
That's no different from a little kid whining "wah, did something I don't like, it's not fair."
Goddamnit this is the most retarded thing I will read all week and it's only fucking tuesday. ~Hawk
Jasiwel
Profile Joined June 2012
United States146 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-10-07 21:59:48
October 07 2012 21:28 GMT
#6897
+ Show Spoiler +
On October 08 2012 06:04 Teoita wrote:
Show nested quote +
^I said after a point. If your a Masters player and all you do is All-In/Cheese, then you're missing a lot of skill. I also stated All-In builds were unsportsmanlike. Going All-In because it's the proper decision when given information is an entirely different story.


The situations in which that can happen, ie you have a safe macro build that can all of a sudden deviate into an all-in, are extremely rare.

Show nested quote +
That's a tough mentality. The problem with that is that it doesn't answer the main point of becoming any better at the game by going all-in after a certain point. Once someone holds the all-in, the game is over. I'm good at holding all-ins, in fact it's half of my wins. But I want to defer that going All-In is not the same as heavy aggression. That's just choosing to harass more than defend, which is basically Muta play. You are taking a risk by it, but the game is made of risks. Going for All-In builds to me is creating a build specifically for an encounter that may secure a win straight up at a certain time between the early and midgame. Your builds (I hate that term to be honest) should have an opening followed by flexibility based off of what you have scouted off of your opponent and how to handle your opponent based off of that information. Going All-In anytime before the lategame is just quantitative rather than qualitative. You are not becoming any better for going Sentry/Immortal every Zerg game.

But you are absolutely right about aggression>greedy>safety>aggression. However, a good player is able to switch those three mindsets given his situation. The point I was trying to make is that a good player doesn't just go all-in. A good player can do that, Macro, and more. However, I do feel that All-In builds are still detrimental after Platinum.


There is no perfect build in starcraft 2, in bw, or in any rts for that matter. If i do my safe 2base templar pvt opening, i'm saying "shit i hope he doesn't go 3cc". If he goes 3cc, he's saying "shit i hope he doesn't 6gate". If i 6gate, i'm saying "shit i hope he doesnt open fast tanks", and so on. No matter what build you do, you will ALWAYS be behind vs something ahead vs something else, and even vs a other things.

As far as getting a better player goes, it's a philosophical thing more than anything. If you ask a bronzie to macro off 3bases, his macro WILL go to shit and he will lose because of that. Lately i had a gold student go on a 30 game pvt win streak or something ridicolous like that simply because i taught him when to add extra production facilites. With that in mind, all-ins do prepare you to know when to add production and why, maximize the number of units at a certain point, and most especially micro his units rather than amoving. I'm not saying all-inning every game is good (it isn't), but simple builds like all-ins are as good a place to start as any.

I'll agree with you greatly here and I agree that All-In builds are great to start with, but only to start with. However, I do want you to note that by all-inning in the late game, I mean a situation where you realize it's "now or never," not switching into an All-In build.

On October 08 2012 06:04 deadmau wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 08 2012 05:47 Jasiwel wrote:
^I said after a point. If you're a Masters player and all you do is All-In/Cheese, then you're missing a lot of skill. I also stated All-In builds were unsportsmanlike. Going All-In because it's the proper decision when given information is an entirely different story. And I feel saying that not going for All-Ins making your predictable is a very stupid statement. That just makes it sound like you have no understanding of how a longer game works. When I say Macro games, I mean games that proceed to the late game and not ones that end at the mid game or early. A Macro game contains all kinds of encounters, from pressure to harassment to containing and finally to a great falling action to a conclusion. You should never AIM to go All-In, it should be a last resort.

On a technicality, you have only been here one year (I've been here less too), so you wouldn't know what the stupidest post on these forums would be. Technically speaking though, not that it matters.

On October 08 2012 04:58 Teoita wrote:
All-ins and cheese are part of the game, deal with it. In any RTS, aggression>greedy>safety>aggression. All-ins are just heavy aggression. Sure most of them are coinflippy, but so is playing overly safe or overly greedy.

That's a tough mentality. The problem with that is that it doesn't answer the main point of becoming any better at the game by going all-in after a certain point. Once someone holds the all-in, the game is over. I'm good at holding all-ins, in fact it's half of my wins. But I want to defer that going All-In is not the same as heavy aggression. That's just choosing to harass more than defend, which is basically Muta play. You are taking a risk by it, but the game is made of risks. Going for All-In builds to me is creating a build specifically for an encounter that may secure a win straight up at a certain time between the early and midgame. Your builds (I hate that term to be honest) should have an opening followed by flexibility based off of what you have scouted off of your opponent and how to handle your opponent based off of that information. Going All-In anytime before the lategame is just quantitative rather than qualitative. You are not becoming any better for going Sentry/Immortal every Zerg game.

But you are absolutely right about aggression>greedy>safety>aggression. However, a good player is able to switch those three mindsets given his situation. The point I was trying to make is that a good player doesn't just go all-in. A good player can do that, Macro, and more. However, I do feel that All-In builds are still detrimental for being a better player after Platinum, especially for Protoss. I just find it really grimy that there are builds (as in build orders from the beginning of a game) specifically set up to go All-In.


If you believe All-in's have no place after Platinum, I'm sorry to say this, but you have a long way to go before becoming a player of any "quality" caliber. Your understanding of the game is not quite there because there's still so much to learn. Sure you understand the concept of an All-In but even in Platinum-Diamond you still have a lot of room for perfection. All-in's are deadly, but you have to be precise as fuck when executing, ESPECIALLY PAST PLATINUM. So, you're quite delusional in your assessment of all-ins.

I've been Diamond for every season, 8 straight, which is weird because most people progress rapidly and get into Masters after a few, but I suck naturally at this game so I had to eek out every little refinement I could out of all-ins. I just barely hit Masters a week ago, and I still think my all-ins are sloppy. I have tons of room to improve my all-in builds, there's just so much to work on in terms of micro, macro, and timings. PERFECTION is key for all-ins as I said before, and I'm still far from that.

It was an approximation of when you need to begin leaning off All-In builds as a mainstay to your strategies. Go for timings instead of All-Ins because then you are still in the game, even if it fails. Of course, maybe it's just my perception of what Platinum league realistically is, considering Bronze/Silver/Gold have little deviation in player skill from my experiences. So maybe Diamond would be a better time to begin weaning off of All-Ins to improve the intensive micro and shorter macro skills it offers. I do also want to say that if it requires perfection to win a game, something that it pointlessly strenuous in comparison to Macro-Timing builds, then why go for it? My point here is that I'd rather not rely on a complete and total gamble for a build than have some wiggle-room with a build that gives me more decision making.

On October 08 2012 06:23 Chylith wrote:
+ Show Spoiler +
On October 08 2012 05:47 Jasiwel wrote:
^I said after a point. If your a Masters player and all you do is All-In/Cheese, then you're missing a lot of skill. I also stated All-In builds were unsportsmanlike. Going All-In because it's the proper decision when given information is an entirely different story. And I feel saying that not going for All-Ins making your predictable is a very stupid statement. That just makes it sound like you have no understanding of how a longer game works. When I say Macro games, I mean games that proceed to the late game and not ones that end at the mid game or early. A Macro game contains all kinds of encounters, from pressure to harassment to containing and finally to a great falling action to a conclusion.

Show nested quote +
On October 08 2012 04:58 Teoita wrote:
All-ins and cheese are part of the game, deal with it. In any RTS, aggression>greedy>safety>aggression. All-ins are just heavy aggression. Sure most of them are coinflippy, but so is playing overly safe or overly greedy.

That's a tough mentality. The problem with that is that it doesn't answer the main point of becoming any better at the game by going all-in after a certain point. Once someone holds the all-in, the game is over. I'm good at holding all-ins, in fact it's half of my wins. But I want to defer that going All-In is not the same as heavy aggression. That's just choosing to harass more than defend, which is basically Muta play. You are taking a risk by it, but the game is made of risks. Going for All-In builds to me is creating a build specifically for an encounter that may secure a win straight up at a certain time between the early and midgame. Your builds (I hate that term to be honest) should have an opening followed by flexibility based off of what you have scouted off of your opponent and how to handle your opponent based off of that information. Going All-In anytime before the lategame is just quantitative rather than qualitative. You are not becoming any better for going Sentry/Immortal every Zerg game.

But you are absolutely right about aggression>greedy>safety>aggression. However, a good player is able to switch those three mindsets given his situation. The point I was trying to make is that a good player doesn't just go all-in. A good player can do that, Macro, and more. However, I do feel that All-In builds are still detrimental for being a better player after Platinum, especially for Protoss.

My point about predictability was with regards to pro games; hence I used IMMvp as an example there. Although it's also true on ladder at higher levels.

Also, It's completely incorrect to state something like "Going All-In anytime before the lategame is just quantitative rather than qualitative." Especially when talking about a sentry/immortal allin like you did for your example. That particular build, at least in masters+ where I play, Relies almost entirely on properly hitting perfect forcefields. At lower levels I'm sure that's not "as" important but it's still the strong point of that allin, it's also one of the best ways to practice better forcefield control, good warpin timings under pressure and skills like that. Just like a blink stalker allin (like the poster you were berating above was requesting) is the best way to practice blink micro and keeping up macro while doing so.

You're also wrong about the game being "over" once someone holds an allin. Many builds(6 pool in pvz for example) are "allin" but can, and often do, transition into a strong macro game. 6 pool is a great example actually because people use that often to pop 6 initial lings and macro behind it hard, forcing toss to 3 gate expo after defending. Even then it's completely allin however because if a toss holds it completely perfectly, zerg dies. Often though that's not the case, even in pro games. I've seen(and played) many games where zerg 6 pools, protoss sacs forge, pylon cannons in the main etc and defends it "relatively" well, then dies at 40 minutes to broods. There are a lot of builds like that(6 pool, 2 rax, 90% of pvp builds, 3 gate blink in pvt, etc).

Also, while ladder(below top masters) very rarely has you facing the same player twice allins are as a whole still quite important. They're what keep the "metagame + Show Spoiler +
ugh I hate that word.
from becoming too greedy, they're what keep players honest.
Finally, you stated again that you find it "unsportsmanlike" to allin. Great, why don't you tell us why instead of ignoring both Teoita's and my own rebuttal pointing out that it's infact not only part of the game, but not at all unsportsmanlike?
That's no different from a little kid whining "wah, did something I don't like, it's not fair."

As true as this is, it doesn't change that fact there are better, safer ways to accomplish victory. I remember watching Squirtle/MVP's GSL final this past summer. That last game is exactly the case. However, I feel there are better ways to take your opponent by surprise then to go for an All-In Build.

I actually don't consider a 6 Pool to be an All-In build anymore, mainly as a result of the Metagame (which I hate that term too so I feel ya there) shift. And by "All-In build" I mean this:
completely allin however because if a toss holds it completely perfectly, zerg dies

No player should go for builds like this. However, if you do go All-In and transition out of it while still winning, then it shows you're a better player. Regardless, I hope you know what I mean now. Players should never aim to go purely All-In. That was my qualm. Also, I wasn't berating him and I'm kind of worried you thought so. I didn't mean to come off as aggressive if I somehow did. I was simply stating, as I thought I was, that one should never aim for All-In builds because other build types like Macro and Timing builds are a lot more fruitful. You can learn a lot about Micro by going for Timing builds as well. I just see a lot more positive coming out of Timings rather than All-Ins.

And I realize saying it's unsportsmanlike is a really offhand. I didn't ignore Teoita though and I ended up agreeing with him. And I feel All-In builds are unsportsmanlike not because you did something I didn't like. You're trying to go for a quick win, which for me feels like a slap in the face, whether I won or lost. It irks me, especially in the professional sector where people expect intricate levels of strategy.
ineversmile
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
United States583 Posts
October 07 2012 22:05 GMT
#6898
People are going to use planned all-ins if they want, and nothing is going to stop that. I wouldn't waste any time discussing it.
Nostradamus.146@AM, Nostradamus.398@KR, Nostradamus.922@EU http://www.teamliquid.net/blog/ins
rd
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
United States2586 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-10-07 22:08:11
October 07 2012 22:06 GMT
#6899
On October 08 2012 05:40 Chylith wrote:
+ Show Spoiler +
On October 08 2012 04:35 Jasiwel wrote:
I'll say it again, but simply put you should never go for all-in builds. Going all-in because you see that your opponent is about to ace you is one thing, but creating builds to go all-in is never a great idea in the long term. It doesn't really improve your Macro all that much and it isn't productive for teaching you to react as well. I mean, All-In builds are great if you want to learn timing, how long it takes to produce buildings/units in perspective to the clock, and the problems that are associated with going a strictly all-in build. However, I discourage it because it's about as unsportsmanlike as cheesing and doesn't demonstrate who is actually better at the game. In fact, I might be as bold as saying that builds which intentionally go for an All-In of any kind can be considered cheese and unsportsmanlike.

This is terrible advice and just about everything in this sentence is wrong. All-ins can actually be great to learn things like multitasking and split second decision-making with.

Sure, you can learn that stuff in a macro game as well, however it's also more forgiving if you make 1 wrong decision in a macro game, or if you mismicro some units, or stop microing to macro. When you allin vs a good player you don't have the luxury of being "fine" if you make a single wrong decision or if you mismicro something.

In a Best of "X" allins are not only good, but necessary, that's why players like MVP are willing to 2 rax allin 1 game, and 15 CC another. It makes you predictable otherwise. On ladder it's not quite as necessary from that perspective, but it's still good practice of a different style than just pure macro, and it can be fun/help relieve stress.

And to say that allins are unsportsmanlike is easily one of the most stupid things I've seen written on this forum. That's like saying that going allin on an Ace 3 hand in poker as a bluff is unsportsmanlike. Just because you can't handle the strat, doesn't mean it's not valid. I'd argue it's unsportsmanlike to hold such an opinion towards a valid branch of strategy, infact. =p


No, they really aren't. You can learn all of those aspects of play and more playing completely standard. All-inning just gimps your experience and narrows your perspective of what you COULD be working on. Fortunately for you, you aren't fighting MVP's opponents, nor will you be for a very, very long time.

On October 08 2012 07:05 ineversmile wrote:
People are going to use planned all-ins if they want, and nothing is going to stop that. I wouldn't waste any time discussing it.


Theres a fairly large difference between arguing against any all-inning whatsoever, and advocating it's use as a method to learn.
Teoita
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
Italy12248 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-10-07 22:16:02
October 07 2012 22:08 GMT
#6900
You still don't understand all-ins, their meaning, and how they fit in overall gameplay.

First off, all-ining will much more easily result in a victory if your opponent is doing something greedy/unsafe, while it will be harder to break someone playing safely. Also there are degrees to that. I might not be able to bust a terran going 3cc with 3gate pressure, but im damn well going to kill him with a 7gate.

Second, all-ins require execution to be succesfull. You don't just kind of make 7gates and attack because fuck yes above a certain level. You need to mask your intentions, clear the path to his base with a few units, hide and secure proxy pylons, and micro your units during the attack. It's a different skill set than macroing off 3/4 bases while turtling and defending, but in starcraft it's just as important, at all levels of play, assuming you want to be a complete player.

Starcraft is a game of risks, and an all-in is just a kind of risk a player might take. And just like with every other build, it comes down to execution from both sides.

From a spectator's point of view, it can suck to just have the game end in one big attack, but even then there's degrees to it. Watching Heart 111 every goddamn game sucks, but we can all agree that watching MC micro his blink stalkers to victory is ridicolously fucking impressive even if he is all-in.

@poster above me: yes and not. When i went from bronze to platinum i never microed a single battle, ever. I would just pop guardian shield, amove and go back to macroing, and to this day that has left huge gaping holes in my play. My early game gateway micro is pretty horrible, i easily lose track of my army and can't beat a 2raxing terran to save my life.

And with that i'm out of this discussion since it's been talked about a million times on these forums.
ModeratorProtoss all-ins are like a wok. You can throw whatever you want in there and it will turn out alright.
Prev 1 343 344 345 346 347 432 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
PiGosaur Cup
00:00
#101 (PatchesSC Mod Edition)
PiGStarcraft476
CranKy Ducklings72
EnkiAlexander 32
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
PiGStarcraft476
RuFF_SC2 126
CosmosSc2 61
Nina 59
-ZergGirl 0
StarCraft: Brood War
Rain 2262
Artosis 608
yabsab 4
Shuttle 0
Dota 2
febbydoto9
Counter-Strike
Coldzera 1137
taco 351
minikerr14
Super Smash Bros
hungrybox591
Other Games
summit1g8385
JimRising 659
Day[9].tv473
C9.Mang0369
ViBE152
Maynarde149
Livibee113
ArmadaUGS35
Sick3
WinterStarcraft0
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick1066
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream138
[ Show 12 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• CranKy Ducklings SOOP28
• OhrlRock 2
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Pr0nogo 9
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Other Games
• Day9tv473
Upcoming Events
Kung Fu Cup
8h 40m
Stellar Fest
10h 40m
The PondCast
1d 7h
OSC
1d 10h
Stellar Fest
1d 10h
OSC
1d 21h
Stellar Fest
2 days
CranKy Ducklings
3 days
Online Event
3 days
FEL
3 days
[ Show More ]
AI Arena Tournament
3 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
3 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
4 days
INu's Battles
4 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
Replay Cast
4 days
WardiTV Weekly
5 days
Replay Cast
5 days
INu's Battles
6 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.