• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 12:03
CEST 18:03
KST 01:03
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Rollback Netcode in Brood War195.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202621Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event RSL 2026 Offline Finals LCQ Sign-Ups Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
BW General Discussion Sagi.gg Launcher Released Rollback Netcode in Brood War Fantasy returning? GG Lan Fest Sofia, Bulgaria [this November]
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8663 users

[G] QTIP’s guide to defending the 1-1-1 (PvT) - Page 22

Forum Index > StarCraft 2 Strategy
Post a Reply
Prev 1 20 21 22 23 24 Next All
Geiko
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
France2036 Posts
October 16 2011 14:58 GMT
#421
Awesome thread QTIP ! Been owning 1-1-1 ever since reading your thread.
geiko.813 (EU)
ProxyKnoxy
Profile Joined April 2011
United Kingdom2576 Posts
October 16 2011 15:07 GMT
#422
I just went against some deformed grotesque version of the 1/1/1. A blue flame hellion drop that wiped out half my probes into a 1/1/1. How do I defend that?
"Zealot try give mariners high five. Mariners not like high five and try hide and shoot zealot"
Teoita
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
Italy12248 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-10-16 15:20:49
October 16 2011 15:20 GMT
#423
On October 17 2011 00:07 ProxyKnoxy wrote:
I just went against some deformed grotesque version of the 1/1/1. A blue flame hellion drop that wiped out half my probes into a 1/1/1. How do I defend that?


If you defend well vs the drop, his push is pretty delayed, which means you will have more stuff when he eventually attacks.
To defend the hellions, a (really) good simcity, making sure you have 2-3 stalkers per mineral line until you know what he's doing (ie the first obs arrives at his base) and getting gates 2 and 3 before the robo are the way to go imo.
ModeratorProtoss all-ins are like a wok. You can throw whatever you want in there and it will turn out alright.
QTIP.
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
United States2113 Posts
October 16 2011 18:35 GMT
#424
On October 16 2011 23:58 Geiko wrote:
Awesome thread QTIP ! Been owning 1-1-1 ever since reading your thread.


TY man, your defensive 3 Gate Guide is something that I use all the time with great success! ^_^
"Trash Micro but Win. Its Marin." - Min Chul
monk
Profile Blog Joined May 2009
United States8477 Posts
October 16 2011 20:35 GMT
#425
I kinda reread your guide recently and I'd like to make a suggestion. You suggest 1 gate fe into robo as a viable counter, but I think it's a very risky unsafe counter. If your opponent goes for a hellion/marine/medivac opening, you will die with just a 1 gate fe into robo strategy. Similarly, if your opponent tricks you and goes 3 rax with a bunker, you can lose as well. Instead, the safe option would be 1 gate fe into 3 gates into robo. I don't know if you mean to do that, but I found it unclear in your guide.
Moderator
Geiko
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
France2036 Posts
October 16 2011 20:57 GMT
#426
On October 17 2011 05:35 NrGmonk wrote:
I kinda reread your guide recently and I'd like to make a suggestion. You suggest 1 gate fe into robo as a viable counter, but I think it's a very risky unsafe counter. If your opponent goes for a hellion/marine/medivac opening, you will die with just a 1 gate fe into robo strategy. Similarly, if your opponent tricks you and goes 3 rax with a bunker, you can lose as well. Instead, the safe option would be 1 gate fe into 3 gates into robo. I don't know if you mean to do that, but I found it unclear in your guide.


I've been doing a mix of both : gate FE gate robo gate gate. I can't manage to find the timings for gate FE gate gate robo, I always seem to have gateways inactive for some time and don't like that ^^ whereas with 2 gates you can make constant units and afford the robo and the probes. Any thoughts on this Monk ?
geiko.813 (EU)
Teoita
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
Italy12248 Posts
October 16 2011 21:08 GMT
#427
On October 17 2011 05:57 Geiko wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 17 2011 05:35 NrGmonk wrote:
I kinda reread your guide recently and I'd like to make a suggestion. You suggest 1 gate fe into robo as a viable counter, but I think it's a very risky unsafe counter. If your opponent goes for a hellion/marine/medivac opening, you will die with just a 1 gate fe into robo strategy. Similarly, if your opponent tricks you and goes 3 rax with a bunker, you can lose as well. Instead, the safe option would be 1 gate fe into 3 gates into robo. I don't know if you mean to do that, but I found it unclear in your guide.


I've been doing a mix of both : gate FE gate robo gate gate. I can't manage to find the timings for gate FE gate gate robo, I always seem to have gateways inactive for some time and don't like that ^^ whereas with 2 gates you can make constant units and afford the robo and the probes. Any thoughts on this Monk ?


I'm a waaaay worse player than you guys, but if you are up vs a tech all-in i think it's ok to have idle gates; at that stage in the game (7 ish) im more concerned about getting a good number of probes up, observers out on the map, a few immortals and my extra gates ready. Viceversa if i'm up against bio play i might cut the immortals to get a few more units. Overall, i find 3gate and then robo to be more flexible than trying to tech super fast.
ModeratorProtoss all-ins are like a wok. You can throw whatever you want in there and it will turn out alright.
monk
Profile Blog Joined May 2009
United States8477 Posts
October 16 2011 21:59 GMT
#428
On October 17 2011 05:57 Geiko wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 17 2011 05:35 NrGmonk wrote:
I kinda reread your guide recently and I'd like to make a suggestion. You suggest 1 gate fe into robo as a viable counter, but I think it's a very risky unsafe counter. If your opponent goes for a hellion/marine/medivac opening, you will die with just a 1 gate fe into robo strategy. Similarly, if your opponent tricks you and goes 3 rax with a bunker, you can lose as well. Instead, the safe option would be 1 gate fe into 3 gates into robo. I don't know if you mean to do that, but I found it unclear in your guide.


I've been doing a mix of both : gate FE gate robo gate gate. I can't manage to find the timings for gate FE gate gate robo, I always seem to have gateways inactive for some time and don't like that ^^ whereas with 2 gates you can make constant units and afford the robo and the probes. Any thoughts on this Monk ?


If no early push comes, then your gateways should be idle. The purpose of the early 2 gates is so you can defend early pushes if they do indeed come. If you cut probes, i'm sure you can fully support production off of all 3 gates when you need to. The one specific push that you absolutely need the early 3 gates for is the 3 hellion 8 marine 1 medivac push, which you won't have enough units to kill without early 3 gates.

PS. I'm writing an updated guide on 1 gate fe soon.
Moderator
hox
Profile Joined February 2010
United States59 Posts
October 20 2011 17:59 GMT
#429
Gate FE Gate Robo seems interesting to me - I've been having a lot of trouble dealing with early pressure. Will this cut into immortal production though? Also, do you prefer to always chrono gates or will you try to get WG research out ASAP against possible aggro.

PS. I'm writing an updated guide on 1 gate fe soon.


Awesome! Looking forward to it.
The spice must flow.
SRopion
Profile Joined September 2011
United States50 Posts
October 20 2011 18:17 GMT
#430
Honestly, I scout and see the Terran going 2rax, 1rax, whatever they do, and play it BW style, 1gate cybernetics, then a robo for observers(like I'm looking for spider mines) and then I start making them flying pylons and

BLAM banshees have to fly back to base.
"If it ain't screwed up, I don't wanna hear it."
Skyro
Profile Joined May 2010
United States1823 Posts
October 20 2011 18:32 GMT
#431
You might also want to mention 15 Nexus as a possible opener on very large maps like TDA. Seems to be gaining a lot of popularity as of late and is surprisingly safe vs common early aggression on large maps, although it is pretty much insta-loss vs weird stuff like all-in scv rushes and proxy rax and the like. Although I guess you could also say you are far less likely to see 1/1/1 on very large maps as well.
Chronopolis
Profile Joined April 2009
Canada1484 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-10-23 03:45:08
October 23 2011 03:42 GMT
#432
On October 17 2011 05:57 Geiko wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 17 2011 05:35 NrGmonk wrote:
I kinda reread your guide recently and I'd like to make a suggestion. You suggest 1 gate fe into robo as a viable counter, but I think it's a very risky unsafe counter. If your opponent goes for a hellion/marine/medivac opening, you will die with just a 1 gate fe into robo strategy. Similarly, if your opponent tricks you and goes 3 rax with a bunker, you can lose as well. Instead, the safe option would be 1 gate fe into 3 gates into robo. I don't know if you mean to do that, but I found it unclear in your guide.


I've been doing a mix of both : gate FE gate robo gate gate. I can't manage to find the timings for gate FE gate gate robo, I always seem to have gateways inactive for some time and don't like that ^^ whereas with 2 gates you can make constant units and afford the robo and the probes. Any thoughts on this Monk ?


I can (empirically) confirm that. From about half a dozen trial runs I've come to the conclusion that the robo (which you are already ideally chronoing 100% of the time) makes 2obs and 2 immortals with priority over gateways. About 2-3 rax, I feel 2 gate robo isn't any better than 1 gate robo (i.e. it just dies more or less to a commited 2/3 rax).

One thing I'm wondering about: what is the optimal probe count to do an FE on? I've been 30 nexusing, but that's kinda been a bit arbitrary.
TeCH_TT
Profile Joined October 2011
Germany63 Posts
October 23 2011 09:53 GMT
#433
thanks for the guide helped me allot.
rycho
Profile Joined July 2010
United States360 Posts
October 24 2011 04:33 GMT
#434
anyone have any tips for differentiating between 2 rax expand builds and 1/1/1 as early as possible? i have trouble deciding whether to go gate/nexus/gate/gate/robo (ideal vs 2 rax) or getting an earlier robo (ideal vs 1/1/1). what do you guys look for with you first stalker? do you assume any build that gets gas and then bunkers the ramp is a 1/1/1 build, or can do 2 rax expand builds still do that?
Itsmedudeman
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States19229 Posts
October 24 2011 06:57 GMT
#435
On October 24 2011 13:33 rycho wrote:
anyone have any tips for differentiating between 2 rax expand builds and 1/1/1 as early as possible? i have trouble deciding whether to go gate/nexus/gate/gate/robo (ideal vs 2 rax) or getting an earlier robo (ideal vs 1/1/1). what do you guys look for with you first stalker? do you assume any build that gets gas and then bunkers the ramp is a 1/1/1 build, or can do 2 rax expand builds still do that?

Well, if they put up a bunker with a 2 rax that's odd because a 2 rax is a pressure build and most terrans will move out with units after the first marauder comes out so there's no need to build a bunker at that timing. Also, this might not be true at all levels, but for a 2 rax they'll generally add a reactor immediately after the first marine, so the next 2 marines will be delayed while in a 1/1/1 they'll constantly pump marines at a steady rate. However, if you come back to check in later and they have like 5 marines that tells you nothing basically.
QTIP.
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
United States2113 Posts
November 03 2011 02:43 GMT
#436
On October 24 2011 15:57 Itsmedudeman wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 24 2011 13:33 rycho wrote:
anyone have any tips for differentiating between 2 rax expand builds and 1/1/1 as early as possible? i have trouble deciding whether to go gate/nexus/gate/gate/robo (ideal vs 2 rax) or getting an earlier robo (ideal vs 1/1/1). what do you guys look for with you first stalker? do you assume any build that gets gas and then bunkers the ramp is a 1/1/1 build, or can do 2 rax expand builds still do that?

Well, if they put up a bunker with a 2 rax that's odd because a 2 rax is a pressure build and most terrans will move out with units after the first marauder comes out so there's no need to build a bunker at that timing. Also, this might not be true at all levels, but for a 2 rax they'll generally add a reactor immediately after the first marine, so the next 2 marines will be delayed while in a 1/1/1 they'll constantly pump marines at a steady rate. However, if you come back to check in later and they have like 5 marines that tells you nothing basically.


This is an unfortunate situation that we have to deal with. Sometimes very tricky players (Taeja vs MC) will 2-rax while erecting a bunker to give the illusion of a possible 1/1/1 build. You get a little greedy, too early of a Robo and end up dying. The best you can do for yourself is continuous poking at the ramp of the Terran in an effort to get as much information as possible. Then make an educated guess. In my experience, Terrans in Bronze -> Low Masters on NA are all pretty easy to read in regards to 2-rax or 1/1/1.

A trick I use frequently is to time the re-entry of my probe. The first marine comes out at roughly 3:09 (in game time) so I will have my probe out of his base after the first initial scout, then slip it back in sometime between the building of the first and second marine. Though you will not always get a scout (wall-off) you can easily sneak past a marine that is not being micro'd. If you enter around this time, the 2nd barracks should have already begun constructing. Hopefully that helps a little.
"Trash Micro but Win. Its Marin." - Min Chul
QTIP.
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
United States2113 Posts
November 03 2011 02:43 GMT
#437
On October 23 2011 18:53 TeCH_TT wrote:
thanks for the guide helped me allot.


My pleasure ^^
"Trash Micro but Win. Its Marin." - Min Chul
blinksc2
Profile Joined December 2011
Germany14 Posts
December 02 2011 10:05 GMT
#438
thanks mate.. awesome guide. it works perfectly.
Nujok
Profile Joined January 2011
31 Posts
December 02 2011 12:16 GMT
#439
Hey!

Thanks for this great guide! I really like [G] Posts if they are as detailed as yours.
Really nice job sir!
I have a master Protoss friend that is struggling with the 1-1-1 build a lot..i already sent him the link to your post!

thank you sir
StarMega
Profile Joined October 2011
United States34 Posts
December 29 2011 08:59 GMT
#440
I've seen colossus be a viable counter to 1/1/1 can someone explain how exactly this works?

I've tried this only once and it sort of worked except the tanks were still there.
Aspiring Foreign Hope
Prev 1 20 21 22 23 24 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 6h 57m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
ProTech47
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 31750
Calm 6275
Bisu 2701
Jaedong 1057
BeSt 488
Rush 429
Stork 376
Soma 373
Larva 361
Horang2 321
[ Show more ]
Light 260
ZerO 181
Snow 176
Zeus 165
Free 147
Mind 124
910 106
Barracks 73
Liquid`Ret 63
Killer 53
Shinee 34
Trap 34
Hyun 32
ToSsGirL 30
Terrorterran 25
Aegong 24
Bale 23
sorry 21
Rock 18
Hm[arnc] 18
Sacsri 10
Sexy 10
Noble 5
Dota 2
Gorgc9249
XaKoH 423
Counter-Strike
fl0m4852
Heroes of the Storm
crisheroes583
Other Games
singsing2296
hiko910
B2W.Neo703
FrodaN396
Mlord379
mouzStarbuck302
DeMusliM204
Hui .175
Livibee163
RotterdaM124
Trikslyr85
QueenE72
KnowMe64
Mew2King46
ZerO(Twitch)22
[ Show 13 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Dystopia_ 3
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• FirePhoenix10
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Nemesis3188
• TFBlade617
Other Games
• Shiphtur764
Upcoming Events
OSC
6h 57m
Big Brain Bouts
17h 57m
Rex vs INexorable
GgMaChine vs HeRoMaRinE
Reynor vs herO
AI Arena Tournament
1d
BSL: Ladder Tournament
1d 2h
Sparkling Tuna Cup
1d 17h
Patches Events
1d 22h
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
OSC
2 days
WardiTV Weekly
3 days
[ Show More ]
PiGosaur Cup
4 days
The PondCast
5 days
Online Event
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-10-08
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.