• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 04:32
CEST 10:32
KST 17:32
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror6[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Rollback Netcode in Brood War605.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202621Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
RSL 2026 Offline Finals LCQ Sign-Ups $3,500 WardiTV Not-Summer Championship ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
TL Sidebar missing streams [ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror Rollback Netcode in Brood War Sagi.gg Launcher Released BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25!
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread TeamLiquid Health and Fitness Initiative For 2023 MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7979 users

[G]PvT Naniwa build - Page 2

Forum Index > StarCraft 2 Strategy
Post a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All
iamke55
Profile Blog Joined April 2004
United States2806 Posts
April 29 2011 17:02 GMT
#21
On April 29 2011 17:17 Rek1zek wrote:
1st post, woo \o/

I use this build for every of my PvT matchup, based on the ChiTaPrime 2 Gate Pressure into Expand Build

Show nested quote +
edit: Of course, I didn't actually play naniwa using this build so who knows if the robo is supposed to come on time but the few times I ran into this situation, the protoss typically had a robo building but not complete.


I just send my proxy pylon's probe run up the Terran's ramp to check his army composition. If I see heavy marines, i just directly put my Robo, my observer came in perfect timing to counter any clocked banshee. If not, just plant more gateways.




Didn't know that was on Liquipedia! I saw Naniwa using this in January though. When did other people start doing it?
During practice session, I discovered very good build against zerg. -Bisu[Shield]
Jayrod
Profile Joined August 2010
1820 Posts
April 29 2011 17:05 GMT
#22
While studying Nani's MLG Dallas run I came across this build and even found a couple games where he outright killed the terran with his 2 gate poke. It was pretty funny, but it was only mid-way through the open bracket and his opponents were no names. Real weakness is just if you can't kill any standing army of the terrans you create this window where you have to cut everything to put a robo down while still continuing to make gateway units.

A lot of you guys struggling with a banshee response to this should honestly try just cutting workers and only building units while adding your robo and one additional gateway. Resume probe production when you're ready for banshees. You won't be behind in workers or economy because if you say a CC up the ramp he's either not attacking, not going banshees, or didn't have the marine count to survive your poke.

I've never had trouble with banshees as a response to this using this method, I will try to get some replays against good opponents to post here if I can though some of you blue posters are in GM while im only masters.
iamke55
Profile Blog Joined April 2004
United States2806 Posts
April 29 2011 18:01 GMT
#23
Infinity has a few replays showing that his cloak banshee can get several probe kills before an observer is out.

[image loading]

[image loading]

So it might be a good idea to take the 2nd gas when Minigun does and mine from it regardless of whether or not you see marauders.
During practice session, I discovered very good build against zerg. -Bisu[Shield]
nullmind
Profile Blog Joined April 2003
1303 Posts
April 29 2011 18:23 GMT
#24
Actually this build order was first written by ChitaPrime couple months ago. I was using this build order for a while and was getting 85% win ratio against terrans. I was actually thinking of writing this build order but I'm not a good writer and this build had weakness so I didn't bother. This build is weak against banshee rush or banshee followed up by marine+banshee+tank+raven+scv allins.

I actually used a variation of this build. With the mentioned build above, you need to get gas asap after the gateway and mine it fast as possible in order to get a sentry out after a zealot. Smart terrans who micro the scv well will scout that the toss have only 1 gas and will scout until the sentry comes out. Instead of 1 zealot 1 sentry 4 stalker rush, I go for 1 zealot 5 stalker. This is actually better for the terran that pressures with the early 2 marine maruader scv rush. I wrote up a build order and some replays for my friends a while ago. Here is the link for someone who is interested.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/10758013/2gate.rar

CardinalSC
Profile Joined January 2011
United States145 Posts
April 29 2011 20:52 GMT
#25
I'm having a lot of trouble vs 3 rax MM expand while using 2Gate Robo. Is this build a little better suited to handle that if I scout the early tech lab? I'm specifically having trouble dealing with the second push of MM right as I transfer to my natural off 2gate robo.
iamke55
Profile Blog Joined April 2004
United States2806 Posts
April 30 2011 21:44 GMT
#26
On April 30 2011 05:52 CardinalSC wrote:
I'm having a lot of trouble vs 3 rax MM expand while using 2Gate Robo. Is this build a little better suited to handle that if I scout the early tech lab? I'm specifically having trouble dealing with the second push of MM right as I transfer to my natural off 2gate robo.


If you scout it with your observer, that's your cue to make immortals and a third gate. And since it's a 1 base semi all-in, you should be cutting probes and spamming as many units as you can. I have yet to encounter a 3 rax with naniwa's build.
During practice session, I discovered very good build against zerg. -Bisu[Shield]
FictionSC
Profile Joined March 2011
United States17 Posts
May 01 2011 00:03 GMT
#27
Great writeup, wish I had started doing this on the ladder before it became so popular ^_^
EonShiKeno
Profile Joined July 2010
United States122 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-05-01 14:15:02
May 01 2011 14:13 GMT
#28
I have been using this build in PvT since MLG Dallas. I have to say I really love it. The opening is so strong, gives you a balanced army along with a FE. There are so many paths to take after the first attack. Either add robo or jump up to pure WG with forges. Highly recommended for any protoss player to learn it.
CardinalSC
Profile Joined January 2011
United States145 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-05-01 23:38:35
May 01 2011 14:16 GMT
#29

Thank you!

Tried this build versus my friend the other day, and since my timing was off he had an expansion up along with two bunkers at the natural. It was on metalopolis, so it was very easy to run around the back and harass his mineral line. The unit comp of 1 sentry, 4 stalkers, 1 zealot is very powerful for low numbers of marine/marauder if you micro your stalkers well and don't let the sentry unnecessarily die.

Does anyone know of a way to avoid quick banshee? Throw down robo right as one attacks?
sleepingdog
Profile Joined August 2008
Austria6145 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-05-01 14:27:23
May 01 2011 14:26 GMT
#30
This build is really good, nevertheless in the first couple of games I tried it a couple of weeks ago, I found that it is surprisingly weak vs a very standard 3 rax early stim all-in that is hidden (!). With hidden I mean that the terran walls off completely and kinda fakes a tech opening. The problem is, that the push hits just when you are really weak due to the complete lack of scouting - and you need to push for the observer since the opponent could very well do a tech opening. But I guess it's more like just me being bad than the build having a real disadvantage there.

Socke also uses (used?) this build a lot, he also has some very interesting transitions like fast DTs vs a no gas FE where he just keeps poking with zealot/stalker and forces scvs being pulled early on.
"You see....YOU SEE..." © 2010 Sen
novabossa
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
United States350 Posts
May 01 2011 15:04 GMT
#31
On May 01 2011 23:16 CardinalSC wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 01 2011 09:03 FictionSC wrote:
Great writeup, wish I had started doing this on the ladder before it became so popular ^_^


Thank you!

Tried this build versus my friend the other day, and since my timing was off he had an expansion up along with two bunkers at the natural. It was on metalopolis, so it was very easy to run around the back and harass his mineral line. The unit comp of 1 sentry, 4 stalkers, 1 zealot is very powerful for low numbers of marine/marauder if you micro your stalkers well and don't let the sentry unnecessarily die.

Does anyone know of a way to avoid quick banshee? Throw down robo right as one attacks?


You won't have enough gas. Minigun's solution (first page) works very well. Basically, you get gas before nexus (so slightly delay nexus).
Rachel: First game. oGsMC: Yea. Rachel: Dark Templar. oGsMC: Yea. Rachel: Countered. oGsMC: Yea. Rachel: Were you worried? oGsMC: What?
MindRush
Profile Joined April 2010
Romania916 Posts
May 01 2011 15:20 GMT
#32
i saw drewbie one night trying so bad to counter Naniwa's build.
he kept asking him to rematch so he could try new stuff, Nani kept rolling him.
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein
Acritter
Profile Joined August 2010
Syria7637 Posts
May 01 2011 15:54 GMT
#33
It's builds like this that make me think PvT is imba for P. Not complaining, though. I like my 90% winrate against T very much indeed. I've usually preferred 1gate expand with a 2zeal1stalker timing push, but this looks to be very interesting indeed.
dont let your memes be dreams - konydora, motivational speaker | not actually living in syria
Indrium
Profile Joined November 2010
United States2236 Posts
May 03 2011 02:20 GMT
#34
I play all 3 races from time to time, and this build just absolutely murdered my Terran play. I actually got pissed because I thought I lost to a 4 gate. Then I watched the replay where he had 2 gates, a robo and an expo, and my mind was blown.

Nice guide.
Slurgi
Profile Joined March 2010
United States118 Posts
May 03 2011 04:11 GMT
#35
On May 01 2011 23:26 sleepingdog wrote:
This build is really good, nevertheless in the first couple of games I tried it a couple of weeks ago, I found that it is surprisingly weak vs a very standard 3 rax early stim all-in that is hidden (!). With hidden I mean that the terran walls off completely and kinda fakes a tech opening. The problem is, that the push hits just when you are really weak due to the complete lack of scouting - and you need to push for the observer since the opponent could very well do a tech opening. But I guess it's more like just me being bad than the build having a real disadvantage there.

Socke also uses (used?) this build a lot, he also has some very interesting transitions like fast DTs vs a no gas FE where he just keeps poking with zealot/stalker and forces scvs being pulled early on.


Wait, really? I'm a bit confused as to how this hidden tech surprises you with the early zealot/sentry/4 stalker poke. I've had terran players intelligently attempt to hide 3rax with just a marine bunker and marauders further back in the base, but the poke is strong enough it should force reveal them. Perhaps you're being too passive, or not building the last 2 stalkers close enough to the terran base? (I prefer a proxy pylon if at all possible).

Indeed the opening is very flexible, and going fast DTs, robo, or dual forge from it works really nicely. I also agree with other posters that getting the 2nd gas quickly is crucial. I usually throw it down just after building my nexus.
MatthewIV
Profile Joined January 2011
Australia1 Post
May 03 2011 15:51 GMT
#36
A good build, it worked twice in my first two games using it. But some questions:
Do you stop creating probes after 19/20 supply (of probes) and while your pushing until you warp in the last 2 stalkers? Or...?
What do you suggest following up the expansion with? Colossus?
Does this build work against other races?
I haven't failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
BjC
Profile Joined February 2011
England181 Posts
May 03 2011 19:42 GMT
#37
Im using this build and having alot of success with it. If the terran doesnt seem to look to be expanding i try and throw up a forge and cannon in the minral line to detect banshee.. and can always throw up a cannon if the terran is doing a one base push. Worth cutting probes for to get forge as you will still have 2 bases and if you hold the attack or the banshee you are way ahead anyway.

Whiplash
Profile Blog Joined October 2008
United States2929 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-05-03 20:29:05
May 03 2011 20:26 GMT
#38
http://wiki.teamliquid.net/starcraft2/2_Gateway_Pressure_into_Expansion

EDIT: This build has been around for awhile

it is veryyyy slightly different but essentially the same thing.

edit 2: araghh didn't realize someone already posted it.
Cinematographer / Steadicam Operator. Former Starcraft commentator/player
TheDemigod
Profile Joined April 2010
Australia79 Posts
May 03 2011 23:47 GMT
#39
Terrans rage quitting thinking this is a 4gate. Thanks so much for the build, very clean!
dump
Profile Joined August 2010
Japan514 Posts
May 04 2011 06:05 GMT
#40
So if this feels so much like a 4 gate, is there any chance we could adapt this for PvP?
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 1h 28m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft: Brood War
Rain 4260
Leta 2655
Soulkey 491
BeSt 477
Soma 263
Rush 146
Killer 44
ZergMaN 29
Shine 28
Shinee 22
[ Show more ]
Hm[arnc] 12
Dota 2
XcaliburYe222
League of Legends
JimRising 583
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King75
Other Games
WinterStarcraft718
Sick280
Pyrionflax57
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV222
StarCraft: Brood War
lovetv 6
[ Show 12 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Sammyuel 38
• 3DClanTV 18
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2330
League of Legends
• Jankos1873
Upcoming Events
Sparkling Tuna Cup
1h 28m
Patches Events
6h 28m
BSL Open Qualifier
10h 28m
BSL Open Qualifier
10h 28m
OSC
14h 28m
OSC
1d 3h
WardiTV Weekly
2 days
PiGosaur Cup
2 days
The PondCast
4 days
Online Event
5 days
[ Show More ]
Korean StarCraft League
5 days
Afreeca Starleague
5 days
Rush vs Soulkey
CranKy Ducklings
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
HCC Season 3
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.