• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 04:30
CEST 10:30
KST 17:30
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror6[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Rollback Netcode in Brood War605.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202621Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
RSL 2026 Offline Finals LCQ Sign-Ups $3,500 WardiTV Not-Summer Championship ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
TL Sidebar missing streams [ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror Rollback Netcode in Brood War Sagi.gg Launcher Released BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25!
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread TeamLiquid Health and Fitness Initiative For 2023 MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8057 users

[G]PvT Naniwa build

Forum Index > StarCraft 2 Strategy
Post a Reply
1 2 3 4 5 Next All
iamke55
Profile Blog Joined April 2004
United States2806 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-05-25 02:30:24
April 29 2011 03:48 GMT
#1
5/24 edit: removed naniwa and kiwi replays now that the MLG links don't work anymore

Overview
Naniwa came up with a build that hits almost as hard as a 4 gate, yet expands almost as early as a 1 gate expand. You put pressure on the Terran's front using 6 units when a 4 gate would normally have 7 units. Against most standard Terran builds, this attack will hit at a timing where you will either kill a bunker and the marines inside of it for free, run past it and do heavy damage, or get some free marauder/marine kills while denying the expansion.

The strength of this build is such that IMO the 1 gate expo and 3 gate expo become obsolete on several maps.

I wanted to get more experience with this build before making a thread, but the new patch kills every build so I might as well go ahead now.

Opening Build
  • 9 Pylon
  • 13 Gateway, scout with probe
  • 14 Assimilator
  • 16 Pylon (start saving up Nexus energy after 3rd chrono)
  • 18 Cybernetics Core
  • 19 Zealot
  • 22 Gateway
  • @100% Cybernetics Core: Warpgate, chrono this as much as possible
  • @100 minerals: Pylon, then Sentry as soon as you can afford it
  • @100 gas: 2x Stalker
  • 32 Pylon (proxy somewhere close to the Terran base)
  • @100% Stalkers: walk all units toward Terran base
  • 34 Nexus, convert Gateways into Warpgates
  • Warp in 2 Stalkers at the proxy
  • Attack the Terran player's base and build 2nd Assimilator


Attacking the Terran's base
In this section, I tell you how to play against the various things Terran can do, or things you see when you get to his base. Before doing any of these, suicide your probe up the ramp so you know what to do.

1 bunker by itself at the top of the ramp
Use Guardian Shield and kill it. If SCVs aren't already nearby for repair, you will be able to kill the bunker and all of the marines inside. If there are SCVs nearby, you can either focus them down and then run, or run past the bunker if there's nothing blocking your way. From here you can win the game outright or get some kind of a lead by killing workers, the 1st tank, the 1st banshee or raven, etc. Worst case scenario, you retreat with most of your units alive and you know whether he's going bio or tech.

2 bunkers at the top of the ramp
You can't take these head on so run past them and start causing mayhem in the Terran's base!

Bunker with supporting units
Use Guardian Shield and kill the supporting units, then either retreat or run past the bunker.

No bunker
Use Guardian Shield and kill all of his units! After that try to kill the SCVs that get pulled.

Incomplete Bunker(s) below ramp
You hit the jackpot! Kill the few marines/marauders nearby and the bunker as well, then try to run up the ramp and do as much damage as you can. If you can't kill him, you at least have a large unit advantage to delay the expansion. After this you will either win an easy macro game, or win a very easy macro game.

Complete bunker(s) and command center below ramp
This is a 1 rax expand with no gas, which you could've scouted earlier if you wanted to do a different build instead. Either run past into the main and do as much damage as you can, or go around the bunkers and kill SCVs/deny mining at the expansion. Or if you're not confident, you could always poke to force more bunkers and play a macro game since you have an expansion as well. But if you're not confident, then maybe you should've done a 1 gate expo instead when you scouted no gas...

Full wall-off at the top of the ramp
This is the worst situation because you've lost the option of running past the bunker, and I think if you saw this with your first scouting probe you could consider doing a different build. Preferably one involving a void ray. Nevertheless this isn't unwinnable, as you got your expansion first anyway. Use Guardian Shield and try to kill the bunker/units on top if you can.

Followup
There are a few different ways to play out the mid-game after your first poke. To play the most standard game plan afterward (hopefully with a sizable economic lead due to your attack!), make a Robotics Facility and 3rd Gateway as your expansion comes up. Then build the expo Assimilators and go for Colossus/upgrades as usual. At this point you’re in the same position or better compared to standard play so refer to my PvT guide for late game play, engagement tactics, dealing with drops, etc.

Alternatively, you can play Adel's style by getting a Forge instead of the Robotics Facility. You skip the expansion Assimilators and chrono out armor upgrades while massing gateway units.

If you walked up the ramp and saw a raven all-in, it should be easier to hold than usual due to the damage your units did. Skip the expo gas, cut probes after 38, then just spam units from 4 Gateways and add immortals if you saw tanks.

Replays
Against a 1 rax marauder expand, followed by Adel style:
  • HasuObs vs TLO
During practice session, I discovered very good build against zerg. -Bisu[Shield]
Pokebunny
Profile Blog Joined June 2008
United States10654 Posts
April 29 2011 04:06 GMT
#2
Please don't use my replay as example T___T I played so bad
Semipro Terran player | Pokebunny#1710 | twitter.com/Pokebunny | twitch.tv/Pokebunny | facebook.com/PokebunnySC
Pokebunny
Profile Blog Joined June 2008
United States10654 Posts
April 29 2011 04:07 GMT
#3
Kidding I don't mind..

This build is sick good. Nice guide, sad it goes to hell next patch
Semipro Terran player | Pokebunny#1710 | twitter.com/Pokebunny | twitch.tv/Pokebunny | facebook.com/PokebunnySC
wentzA
Profile Joined August 2010
United States79 Posts
April 29 2011 04:10 GMT
#4
Interesting!

Looking forward to going over this build in more detail !!
vaderseven
Profile Joined September 2008
United States2556 Posts
April 29 2011 04:11 GMT
#5
On April 29 2011 13:06 Pokebunny wrote:
Please don't use my replay as example T___T I played so bad


I read your reply before I read the build and thought this might be a proxy 1 gate guide.

For the record, Naniwa played sick good in your series vs him. It was a bad weekend to be paired vs him.
iamke55
Profile Blog Joined April 2004
United States2806 Posts
April 29 2011 04:16 GMT
#6
Wow, the average skill level of people responding to this thread is currently progamer. Purge is working!

Yeah I remember being unable to believe how strong this build was when I first realized it existed. Your first attack could do zero damage and you'd still be sitting almost the same economy as 1 gate expand. And then you realize you have 1 less unit than a 4 gate, so what are the odds of doing zero damage with that?
During practice session, I discovered very good build against zerg. -Bisu[Shield]
Knickknack
Profile Joined February 2004
United States1187 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-04-29 04:29:46
April 29 2011 04:24 GMT
#7
Yea thats basically the build, possible to do some slight variations eg 13gas, 16core for bit faster units.
Mainly looks like you are missing proxy pylon before nexus in the BO.

Its not a common builds so its early strength can catch terrans by surprise, but since they can easily scout you going fast 2nd gate terrans should catch on to how many units you can have and be prepared in time. A less aggressive 2gate expo build will give better economy. For comparison sake, an unscouted version of this would be 3gate, same amount of units but attacks 1min later.

With patch can cb units 4x instead of wg for similar effect.

edit- if you robo right after nexus can get ob in time for fast cloak banshee.
| www.ArtofProtoss.vze.com |
infinity21 *
Profile Blog Joined October 2006
Canada6683 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-04-29 04:56:11
April 29 2011 04:25 GMT
#8
If I suspect that P is opening with this build, I found that opening banshee can usually deal enough economic damage for me to justify the later cc and the wonky unit composition that I'll get as a follow-up which is typically banshee/tank/marine/marauder with a raven thrown in there for good measure.

edit: Of course, I didn't actually play naniwa using this build so who knows if the robo is supposed to come on time but the few times I ran into this situation, the protoss typically had a robo building but not complete.

edit2: When you play against this build the 1st time, you will think that it's at least a 3 gate. I thought it was a 4 gate until I saw the protoss nat -__- Painuser thought something similar on MrBitter's stream today even though he saw the nat going up. It was obvious he hasn't played against that build before but it is actually pretty popular on ladder nowadays
Official Entusman #21
Rek1zek
Profile Joined January 2011
France6 Posts
April 29 2011 08:17 GMT
#9
1st post, woo \o/

I use this build for every of my PvT matchup, based on the ChiTaPrime 2 Gate Pressure into Expand Build

edit: Of course, I didn't actually play naniwa using this build so who knows if the robo is supposed to come on time but the few times I ran into this situation, the protoss typically had a robo building but not complete.


I just send my proxy pylon's probe run up the Terran's ramp to check his army composition. If I see heavy marines, i just directly put my Robo, my observer came in perfect timing to counter any clocked banshee. If not, just plant more gateways.


WrathOfAiur
Profile Joined May 2010
Germany243 Posts
April 29 2011 08:29 GMT
#10
On April 29 2011 17:17 Rek1zek wrote:

I use this build for every of my PvT matchup, based on the ChiTaPrime 2 Gate Pressure into Expand Build



wow, this build looks exactly the same, just a 12 gate instead of 13. So the build is not new, just forgotten
partisan
Profile Joined January 2011
United States783 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-04-29 08:37:49
April 29 2011 08:37 GMT
#11
I think this build will have even more options with decreased gateway build times, going to be fun to add this to my pvt openers.
iSTime
Profile Joined November 2006
1579 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-04-29 11:19:12
April 29 2011 08:37 GMT
#12
On April 29 2011 13:25 infinity21 wrote:
If I suspect that P is opening with this build, I found that opening banshee can usually deal enough economic damage for me to justify the later cc and the wonky unit composition that I'll get as a follow-up which is typically banshee/tank/marine/marauder with a raven thrown in there for good measure.

edit: Of course, I didn't actually play naniwa using this build so who knows if the robo is supposed to come on time but the few times I ran into this situation, the protoss typically had a robo building but not complete.

edit2: When you play against this build the 1st time, you will think that it's at least a 3 gate. I thought it was a 4 gate until I saw the protoss nat -__- Painuser thought something similar on MrBitter's stream today even though he saw the nat going up. It was obvious he hasn't played against that build before but it is actually pretty popular on ladder nowadays


You aren't supposed to be able to do (enough) damage with banshees against this build, as it gets an obs out at about 7:15. (EDIT: I make 1 less stalker and 1 more zealot when I do it so that I can throw down a robo right after the 2nd assimilator... maybe it's much weaker to banshees the way other people do it)

Also, random tidbits: Transfer probes to natural right after you warp in the last 2 units at the proxy pylon. The nexus finishes just around there, and you don't want to have to transfer them in the middle of microing your units.
www.infinityseven.net
novabossa
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
United States350 Posts
April 29 2011 10:42 GMT
#13
On April 29 2011 17:37 partisan wrote:
I think this build will have even more options with decreased gateway build times, going to be fun to add this to my pvt openers.


Incorrect. This build will no longer work if the patch goes through in its current state. Because the build revolves around a timing push, all the timings are extremely precise. Since gateway units will build faster and WG comes later, everything is thrown to hell. Some form of a 2 gate will still be viable, but not this build.
Rachel: First game. oGsMC: Yea. Rachel: Dark Templar. oGsMC: Yea. Rachel: Countered. oGsMC: Yea. Rachel: Were you worried? oGsMC: What?
Minigun
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
619 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-04-29 10:47:41
April 29 2011 10:46 GMT
#14
Like said above, it's weak to cloaked banshees. After warping in two stalkers, you will have 0 gas.

I take my assimilator BEFORE making the nexus, it's slows down the push just a little, but saves you if they are going cloaked banshees. Your obs will be out in time and it doesn't really hurt the push. If I see marauders, I don't mine the gas until a bit later.

I love this build, and it has become my standard.
“Quiet people have the loudest minds.” ― Stephen Hawking
Anomandaris
Profile Joined July 2010
Afghanistan440 Posts
April 29 2011 10:59 GMT
#15
This is my preferred build in pvt. I sincerly hope Blizzard will revert some changes of PTR, because otherwise this build will end in the bin.
parn
Profile Joined December 2010
France296 Posts
April 29 2011 14:17 GMT
#16
I really love this build, i'm going to try this out and work on it. Thank you
We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit.
Anomandaris
Profile Joined July 2010
Afghanistan440 Posts
April 29 2011 15:19 GMT
#17
As far I know, it is creatorprime who came up with this build. I would just call it a 2 gate expand build. This build is so amazingly good. I have been using it since february.

However I take the second gas around 26 supply. Why? Against tech builds (tanks, banshees) you want a robo as soon as possible. That isn't possible with a second gas. Against bio openings I like to go zealot sentry heavy, so the faster gas imo is always useful.

The key to the succes of this build is to guess correctly with your poke what terran is doing: 1 rax, 2 rax, hellion drop, banshee, thor, tank, etc.

This build can potentially kill greedy/risky startegies from terran such as can be seen here: http://www.sc2replayed.com/replays/170460-1v1-terran-protoss-xelnaga-caverns (me vs fnaticfenix)
ROOTheognis
Profile Blog Joined January 2006
United States4482 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-04-29 15:35:05
April 29 2011 15:34 GMT
#18
I've had alot of experience vs this build in grandmasters.

If i scout that super early 2nd gate off of 1 gas while I have the plan to go 2 barracks FE, I totally change my plan to just going 2 barracks into medivacs and skipping the expo. Not only are you safe for this early pressure but you can totally RAPE the protoss once the medivacs and stim are out.

Naniwa's build is tailored towards the gradual barracks pressure into CC build. If you skip the CC and just 1 base it with medivacs, the protoss will have no tech to deal with your developed army. His build is a gradual protoss expo that gets the nexus at a funny time and can easly be punished with a simple adapted timing attack.
If you avoid your weakness, it will remain your weakness. www.twitter.com/#!/rootheognis Follow me!
Anomandaris
Profile Joined July 2010
Afghanistan440 Posts
April 29 2011 15:36 GMT
#19
On April 30 2011 00:34 YoiChiBow wrote:
I've had alot of experience vs this build in grandmasters.

If i scout that super early 2nd gate off of 1 gas while I have the plan to go 2 barracks FE, I totally change my plan to just going 2 barracks into medivacs and skipping the expo. Not only are you safe for this early pressure but you can totally RAPE the protoss once the medivacs and stim are out.

Naniwa's build is tailored towards the gradual barracks pressure into CC build. If you skip the CC and just 1 base it with medivacs, the protoss will have no tech to deal with your developed army. His build is a gradual protoss expo that gets the nexus at a funny time and can easly be punished with a simple adapted timing attack.

I haven't seen that play in along time, but I agree that 1 base medivacs might be somewhat tough to handle. Do you have an eu account?
infinity21 *
Profile Blog Joined October 2006
Canada6683 Posts
April 29 2011 16:47 GMT
#20
On April 29 2011 17:37 PJA wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 29 2011 13:25 infinity21 wrote:
If I suspect that P is opening with this build, I found that opening banshee can usually deal enough economic damage for me to justify the later cc and the wonky unit composition that I'll get as a follow-up which is typically banshee/tank/marine/marauder with a raven thrown in there for good measure.

edit: Of course, I didn't actually play naniwa using this build so who knows if the robo is supposed to come on time but the few times I ran into this situation, the protoss typically had a robo building but not complete.

edit2: When you play against this build the 1st time, you will think that it's at least a 3 gate. I thought it was a 4 gate until I saw the protoss nat -__- Painuser thought something similar on MrBitter's stream today even though he saw the nat going up. It was obvious he hasn't played against that build before but it is actually pretty popular on ladder nowadays


You aren't supposed to be able to do (enough) damage with banshees against this build, as it gets an obs out at about 7:15. (EDIT: I make 1 less stalker and 1 more zealot when I do it so that I can throw down a robo right after the 2nd assimilator... maybe it's much weaker to banshees the way other people do it)

Also, random tidbits: Transfer probes to natural right after you warp in the last 2 units at the proxy pylon. The nexus finishes just around there, and you don't want to have to transfer them in the middle of microing your units.

Ah I forgot to mention that I get a few marauders so P thinks I'm going bio
Official Entusman #21
1 2 3 4 5 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 1h 30m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft: Brood War
Rain 4345
Leta 2582
BeSt 484
Soulkey 439
Soma 233
Rush 120
Killer 30
ZergMaN 27
Shine 27
Shinee 22
Dota 2
XcaliburYe222
League of Legends
JimRising 605
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King75
Other Games
WinterStarcraft710
Sick280
Pyrionflax57
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV227
StarCraft: Brood War
lovetv 7
[ Show 12 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Sammyuel 38
• 3DClanTV 12
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2321
League of Legends
• Jankos1658
Upcoming Events
Sparkling Tuna Cup
1h 30m
Patches Events
6h 30m
BSL Open Qualifier
10h 30m
BSL Open Qualifier
10h 30m
OSC
14h 30m
OSC
1d 3h
WardiTV Weekly
2 days
PiGosaur Cup
2 days
The PondCast
4 days
Online Event
5 days
[ Show More ]
Korean StarCraft League
5 days
Afreeca Starleague
5 days
Rush vs Soulkey
CranKy Ducklings
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
HCC Season 3
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.