• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 16:28
CEST 22:28
KST 05:28
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Rollback Netcode in Brood War325.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202621Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78
StarCraft 2
General
We built a tool to spot smurfs at match start 5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR?
Tourneys
ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event RSL 2026 Offline Finals LCQ Sign-Ups Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Making an Online Broodwar Manager Game BW General Discussion Rollback Netcode in Brood War Sagi.gg Launcher Released Fantasy returning?
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Artificial Intelligence Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8025 users

[G] PvP 1-gas 2-gate robo opening - Page 16

Forum Index > StarCraft 2 Strategy
Post a Reply
Prev 1 14 15 16 All
CaptainHaz
Profile Joined December 2010
United States240 Posts
April 15 2011 20:04 GMT
#301
On April 16 2011 04:46 kcdc wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 12 2011 13:28 CaptainHaz wrote:
On April 12 2011 09:36 kcdc wrote:
On April 12 2011 08:19 gr8ape wrote:
On April 12 2011 05:55 kcdc wrote:
That was a lot of text, but basically, don't use this opening against the super fast 4 gates. This holds 6 minute 4 gates, but it doesn't hold 5:40-5:50 4 gates. If you know how to scout the difference, you'll be fine.


10 and 13 chrono on the nexus into 4gate?


To hit that super early timing, they have to cut probes early, use only 2 chrono on something other than WG research, no second gas, and no third pylon before 3 extra gates. You should always keep track of how aggressive your opponent can be given what you've scouted. This opening is pretty strong defensively once you get to ~6 minutes. If their build can attack well before that, you need to adjust.

Wondering how you would adjust accordingly, I've scouted them last on 4 player maps so 2 gating isn't an option even after pylon scout. Say your plan was to open with this, but scouted 10 gate 4 gate as opposed to 12, what do you advise?


For K4G, I like to cut probes at 20, take 2 probes off gas after 100, and chrono out as many zealots as possible while adding gates. You're too far behind on WG research to defend with warpgates, so you need to just have enough stuff ahead of time to weather the storm till WG finishes.

Will keep that in mind, I've also been seeing a lot of 10 gate-4 gate with stalker play, though I'm pretty sure pulling probes still puts me ahead in econ if I need to hold that.

Back on topic of the original post, I use this build in pvp and have yet to lose to a 4 gate with it if I don't make any mistakes. I usually tech to 1 base colossus after the 6 30 mark if I don't get 4 gated. I've changed it slightly to add a 3rd gate as opposed to the earlier zealots, but that is only because I like the spike in production since I've hit delayed 4 gates from time to time.

Also, I think this is still usable on Tal Darim Altar. Since by the time his second stalker arrives to do the poke you'll have a second zeal to push them back, unless they decide to micro around inside your base, I don't see it as being too much of an issue.

Overall, really worthwhile build, ty ♥.
All of us warned you of the big white face.
Complete
Profile Joined October 2009
United States1864 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-04-15 20:14:18
April 15 2011 20:12 GMT
#302
Do you really run in to...late 4 gates that this works against very often? Generally I either face a defensive 4 gate which this would obviously be fine against (you could even be a little more greedy with an early 2nd gas) or an offensive 4 gate with 2 chrono's on probes, 1 on gateway, and rest on warpgate. No way this would work against that. He'd have your 3 units dead before the immo even popped (2 zealot 1 stalker *WONT* stop proxy pylon)
CaptainHaz
Profile Joined December 2010
United States240 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-04-15 20:26:59
April 15 2011 20:23 GMT
#303
On April 16 2011 05:12 Complete wrote:
Do you really run in to...late 4 gates that this works against very often? Generally I either face a defensive 4 gate which this would obviously be fine against (you could even be a little more greedy with an early 2nd gas) or an offensive 4 gate with 2 chrono's on probes, 1 on gateway, and rest on warpgate. No way this would work against that. He'd have your 3 units dead before the immo even popped (2 zealot 1 stalker *WONT* stop proxy pylon)

The reason 4 gates end up being late is because from their scout probe, this looks like a 4 gate, unless there's some other read they get, they won't know it's a fast robo build. Most people just defensively 4 gate, when they don't get hit, they go offensive with it.

As far as the "balls-to-the-wall 4 gate" goes, this build works against it fine, there are replays. If you mean my take on it, it also works, and I can provide replays as well.

Forgot to address one other point, you don't need to stop their proxy pylon, the timings work out anyway. If they attack you, you can push them back (since they have to kite your 2 zealots) long enough for your immortal to pop, at which point retreat into your base and start the micro war.
All of us warned you of the big white face.
yarkO
Profile Blog Joined September 2009
Canada810 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-04-15 20:49:35
April 15 2011 20:46 GMT
#304
This build demolishes every 4gate except for the fastest ones, which are pretty easy to scout and adapt too. I use this build on maps without ramps and even then have no problems.

One big thing I've found with it is that you really can't afford to delay your Robo. It's almost affordable before the 3rd Pylon but not quite [gas restriction] (if you drop it at Pylon 24, Robo at 25/26), and it can't go down much later than that for this to hold. Keep this in mind when placing your 2nd Pylon, as you may need to tuck that Robo away somewhere if you are keen on denying scouting. In any case, your Stalker pops very shortly after you want to be warping it in, so you can get that Probe out of your base asap.

Also important is to make sure you are saving Chrono so that you have at least 2 to dump into your first Immortal. I like to only use 2 on Probes, 1 on first Zealot, then 1 on Stalker + Warpgate to make it look like a 4-gate. From there it's just banked for Immortals.

You can pretty much make Probes nonstop until the attack happens, and sometimes even through it but I like to hold them, preserve units and not miss Pylons (obviously). It's ok to add a 3rd gate if you get nervous and is very affordable without missing production.
When you are prepared, there's no such thing as pressure.
Vorenius
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
Denmark1979 Posts
April 26 2011 13:14 GMT
#305
This a very good build indeed, and I'm suprised I don't see more people using it.

The problem with other robo builds that rely on sentry is you 100% give up on map control and you won't be able to put out pressure. You are basicly stuck in your base and leave your opponent to do what he wants.
This build fakes a 4gate which means people have to respect that and prepare accordingly.

Ever since I started using this on ladder I'm actually happy when I get a PvP
locilocisu
Profile Joined January 2011
25 Posts
April 26 2011 16:21 GMT
#306
I've started using this build a lot lately againsts all races actually. I found that an immortal more powerful than 2 Stalkers by a lot although they can't shoot air. So by forgoing the ability to shoot air, you get a more powerful ground unit. Nice thing is that people rarely go early air nowadays aside from protoss void rays... but void rays are fragile ...a few stalkers when you see them should be able to hold. (unless they mix in phoenix to do lifts... then you're now in trouble)

Againsts terran, immortal just murders marauders. The more marauders they have, the easier you will be able to hold.

Same thing with Zerg's Roaches. The problem I had was when they go heavy heavy zergling...
bankai
Profile Joined November 2010
362 Posts
May 13 2011 00:49 GMT
#307
Is this build still viable post 1.3.3 patch now?? Do we need to 'sacrifice' economy as much now for that early immortal due to the 4WG 20second delay??

My question is, is this a good optimal opener for PvP now?
GrassEater
Profile Joined July 2010
Sweden417 Posts
May 13 2011 01:01 GMT
#308
On May 13 2011 09:49 bankai wrote:
Is this build still viable post 1.3.3 patch now?? Do we need to 'sacrifice' economy as much now for that early immortal due to the 4WG 20second delay??

My question is, is this a good optimal opener for PvP now?


This build is alive because it only needed 10 more seconds to be safe vs 4 gate and it got 20. Noone knows how pvp will be affected by the 1.3.3 but this build is a good start maybe it will be viable 1 month from now maybe not.

Robo builds are strong vs blink stalker and they are not very weak vs stargate.
Duckvillelol
Profile Blog Joined July 2009
Australia1259 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-06-12 10:42:11
June 12 2011 10:41 GMT
#309
To all ye who have been asking: I still find this quite viable post-patch.

I've been doing this since just before 1.3.3 when I was at about 25% win ratio in PvPs - I'm still currently around 75% after doing this.

Do this build and with good scouting and reaction to said scouting - you WILL win.
As noted, it counters 3gate blink, DT, and 4gate - plus you have the early transition into colossus IF you need to do it.

Other viable transitions I've found are:

- Mass chargelot (smashes people who do many stalkers without blink)
- Heavy Immortals (smashes people who attempt to expo behind a 4gate/weird-5gate)

Former SC2 commentator. youtube.com/duckvillelol
Markwerf
Profile Joined March 2010
Netherlands3728 Posts
June 12 2011 10:54 GMT
#310
This build is completely inferior to a 2 gas gate-robo-gate build now. Getting a fast 2nd gas and 1 sentry will make the build better at stopping 4 gates AND better against other stuff.

On maps with a wide ramp this build is still suicide, 4 gate zealot/stalker beats 2 gate robo zealot/immortal with proper micro.
Duckvillelol
Profile Blog Joined July 2009
Australia1259 Posts
June 19 2011 22:18 GMT
#311
On June 12 2011 19:54 Markwerf wrote:
This build is completely inferior to a 2 gas gate-robo-gate build now. Getting a fast 2nd gas and 1 sentry will make the build better at stopping 4 gates AND better against other stuff.

On maps with a wide ramp this build is still suicide, 4 gate zealot/stalker beats 2 gate robo zealot/immortal with proper micro.


How fast is the 2nd gas? And does that still include getting the first gas at 13?

I'm still finding 13/13 viable, but I might give that a go instead.
Former SC2 commentator. youtube.com/duckvillelol
jere
Profile Joined September 2010
United States121 Posts
June 20 2011 01:14 GMT
#312
Question about this I do a variation on this. After my core I put down a robotics bay with the first 100 gas. Then stalker then immortal and cronobost it, put down a second gas then do warpgates. and then second gateway. Is the OP way better?
Duckvillelol
Profile Blog Joined July 2009
Australia1259 Posts
June 23 2011 12:09 GMT
#313
On June 20 2011 10:14 jere wrote:
Question about this I do a variation on this. After my core I put down a robotics bay with the first 100 gas. Then stalker then immortal and cronobost it, put down a second gas then do warpgates. and then second gateway. Is the OP way better?


Despite the fact that (in theory) your Immortal will be out a bit quicker - you are incredibly vulnerable to the 3stalker push and/or 1zeal/1stalker early attack.

I wouldn't really advise skipping the stalker. Also not to mention - you'll have no viable way to check for proxy pylons either, unless you use a probe - which is also detrimental.

Sometimes I have almost lost purely because of the 3stalker rush, but normally the immo pops out just in time anyway - thus there really isn't any need to skip the early stalker unless you're doing some non-standard immortal attack.
Former SC2 commentator. youtube.com/duckvillelol
Packeteer
Profile Joined September 2010
United States105 Posts
July 06 2011 00:45 GMT
#314
Uh oh, necro posting ITT. This build is slightly outdated and should not be used post 1.3.3. Please don't revive the thread by posting how it works for you. Any build CAN work but this build is inferior to 2 gas robo builds in every way post 1.3.3. Let the build rest in peace.
A Marine walks into a a bar and asks... where is the counter?
GomJabbar
Profile Joined February 2011
United States161 Posts
July 19 2011 22:34 GMT
#315
On July 06 2011 09:45 Packeteer wrote:
Uh oh, necro posting ITT. This build is slightly outdated and should not be used post 1.3.3. Please don't revive the thread by posting how it works for you. Any build CAN work but this build is inferior to 2 gas robo builds in every way post 1.3.3. Let the build rest in peace.

I really can't agree with this. I want to revive this because it's a sweet build that I've used with lots of success lately. It's safe against 4-gate, pretty much destroys blink openings, and gets you fast colossus. And it looks like a 4-gate, which 2-gas fast robo does not. And personally I've found 2 gas fast robo into super-fast colossus is a bit weak to really good blink timings, which is a weakness this 1-gas robo build does not have (imo). If you are doing this build and your opponent is doing 2 gas fast robo, he might have a small advantage, but that's no reason to totally stop discussion of this build!

I'm also reviving this thread because I've made a video demonstrating it which I hope will illustrate some of the great concepts:

Ravomat
Profile Joined September 2010
Germany424 Posts
July 19 2011 22:44 GMT
#316
PvP is not just about build orders. Mindgames play a huge role in the matchup. If I get my gas stolen and don't manage to steal my opponent's gas I always go for a Robo right after I chased out my opponent's scouting probe because I'm scared of blink and DTs. This build may be inferior to 2 gas Robo builds but in certain circumstances it's a good thing to do in my opinion.
kcdc
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States2311 Posts
September 26 2011 18:13 GMT
#317
This opening has a somewhat different feel in 1.4. 4-gate is no longer much of an issue, but I think that plays to the strength of this build in certain ways. Many times, your opponent lets you see something that tells you they can't 4-gate hard (2 gas, 3rd pylon, constant probe production, stealing your gas, etc), which allows you to continue probe production and head straight for an ultra-fast observer before your first immortal. In close air positions, this allows you to play reactively much earlier than you can with other builds.

Additionally, people are teching straight to colossi pretty frequently now that 4 gate is less scary, and immortal popping (particularly with the immortal range and warp prism health buffs) owns colossi builds if you have the micro.

Blink builds gave me problems before the patch because I am so zealot heavy, but the timing is now late enough to hold easily. You can't expand quickly into a blink build like you can against a robo build, but you should have the quick obs to react to his opening and you're safer to tech now.

The big downside is that phoenix openings are much better post-1.4 and phoenix openings own this opening pretty hard. It's still my best opening in PvP, and I think, on balance, its place in the metagame has improved since I first posted the guide.
Jumbled
Profile Joined September 2010
1543 Posts
September 26 2011 18:32 GMT
#318
Is there any reason to still do it as a 1-gas build? Previously the idea was to have a very streamlined build so that it could handle a 4gate, but as sentries are now the key to early game defence in any PvP with a ramp, would it now always be better to get the second gas?
kcdc
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States2311 Posts
September 26 2011 19:03 GMT
#319
On September 27 2011 03:32 Jumbled wrote:
Is there any reason to still do it as a 1-gas build? Previously the idea was to have a very streamlined build so that it could handle a 4gate, but as sentries are now the key to early game defence in any PvP with a ramp, would it now always be better to get the second gas?


A 2 gas version would really be an entirely different build. With 2 gas, you defend with sentries, and you play a colossus build.

With this build, I play aggressively with zealots and immortals, and typically stay on 1 gas the whole game if my opponent goes robo. While you can configure a robo build that takes a second gas and is safe against 4 gate, you won't have the minerals to play my anti-robo style where I'm able to expand AND deny a colossus player's expansion.
turamn
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
United States1374 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-09-26 19:19:09
September 26 2011 19:11 GMT
#320
I've had an unreasonable amount of success against this build with a Phoenix build, as kcdc mentions. If they go for obs first from their robo, I can often just lift the sentry and walk up their ramp and kill them. However, if the robo player does manage to hold, I've found it a bit more difficult to finish them off, due to the fact that Phoenix's aren't great at just outright killing people.

I still prefer the Phoenix build to the robo, but that's based entirely on metagame right now. You can basically do it blindly and most players will robo with an observer first.

EDIT: Even if they don't build a sentry, it's still a pretty easy win most of the time. I'll usually just wait until I have an additional Phoenix at that point before pushing out to attack to lift and attempt to give myself the unit advantage on the ground.
Prev 1 14 15 16 All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 2h 32m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
mouzHeroMarine 537
ProTech168
UpATreeSC 100
ZombieGrub67
Nina 3
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 14827
910 70
soO 39
Dota 2
Gorgc6846
monkeys_forever102
canceldota72
League of Legends
Doublelift7
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby4232
Other Games
summit1g2496
fl0m1580
FrodaN780
olofmeister771
Liquid`Hasu340
C9.Mang0193
Livibee190
IndyStarCraft 156
Organizations
StarCraft 2
angryscii 13
[ Show 19 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Adnapsc2 17
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• blackmanpl 39
• FirePhoenix14
• Michael_bg 3
• niya90s 2
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• masondota2864
• WagamamaTV365
Other Games
• imaqtpie992
• Shiphtur665
• Scarra621
• tFFMrPink 14
Upcoming Events
OSC
2h 32m
Big Brain Bouts
13h 32m
Rex vs INexorable
GgMaChine vs HeRoMaRinE
Reynor vs herO
AI Arena Tournament
20h 32m
BSL: Ladder Tournament
22h 32m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
1d 13h
Patches Events
1d 18h
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 22h
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 22h
OSC
2 days
WardiTV Weekly
3 days
[ Show More ]
PiGosaur Cup
4 days
The PondCast
5 days
Online Event
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-10-08
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.