• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 23:50
CEST 05:50
KST 12:50
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach1[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon101Weekly Cups (Aug 30-Sep 7): herO thrives amid growing schism10
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the StarCraft shooter announcement at BlizzCon 2026? Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16) Blizzard Classic Cup @ BlizzCon 2026 - $100k prize pool The Death of Cheese: From a Professional Cheeser
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Master Swan Open (Global Bronze-Master 2) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder [ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach an AI researcher's take on the ladder bot BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ StarCraft Human 'N' AI League
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 1
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread All you football fans (soccer)!
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 10087 users

Simple Questions Simple Answers - Page 51

Forum Index > StarCraft 2 Strategy
Post a Reply
Prev 1 49 50 51 52 53 900 Next
Ribbon
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States5278 Posts
March 22 2011 03:54 GMT
#1001
This is borderline-smple.

I'm doing the following opening ZvZ and ZvP

9 Overlord
15 Gas
14 Pool.

I want to start my third overlord when my pool's around half done.

If I make it on 15, it pops just before my pool finishes and things are smooth.

If I make it on 16, then my pool finishes a bit before the overlord does, meaning I can start my queen but am supply blocked for a few seconds before I can make my lings. But! I'm up a drone early on and have a tiny bit more income.

Is it better to make the third Ovie on 15 (smoothness) or on 16 (slightly earlier drone)?
Synystyr
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
United States1446 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-03-22 11:17:34
March 22 2011 11:17 GMT
#1002
On March 22 2011 12:54 Ribbon wrote:
This is borderline-smple.

I'm doing the following opening ZvZ and ZvP

9 Overlord
15 Gas
14 Pool.

I want to start my third overlord when my pool's around half done.

If I make it on 15, it pops just before my pool finishes and things are smooth.

If I make it on 16, then my pool finishes a bit before the overlord does, meaning I can start my queen but am supply blocked for a few seconds before I can make my lings. But! I'm up a drone early on and have a tiny bit more income.

Is it better to make the third Ovie on 15 (smoothness) or on 16 (slightly earlier drone)?


Speedling Expand correct? It's more optimal to go 14 Gas 14 Pool. That may help smooth out your timings a little bit. You should be able to 15 Ovie and everything will come out perfectly

(Yay 1000+ posts on this thread xD)
Sky Terran TvP V2.0: http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=355839
MuffinCookie
Profile Joined February 2011
China64 Posts
March 22 2011 14:22 GMT
#1003
On March 22 2011 20:17 Synystyr wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 22 2011 12:54 Ribbon wrote:
This is borderline-smple.

I'm doing the following opening ZvZ and ZvP

9 Overlord
15 Gas
14 Pool.

I want to start my third overlord when my pool's around half done.

If I make it on 15, it pops just before my pool finishes and things are smooth.

If I make it on 16, then my pool finishes a bit before the overlord does, meaning I can start my queen but am supply blocked for a few seconds before I can make my lings. But! I'm up a drone early on and have a tiny bit more income.

Is it better to make the third Ovie on 15 (smoothness) or on 16 (slightly earlier drone)?


Speedling Expand correct? It's more optimal to go 14 Gas 14 Pool. That may help smooth out your timings a little bit. You should be able to 15 Ovie and everything will come out perfectly

(Yay 1000+ posts on this thread xD)

Yes, if you're trying to do Speedling Expand, 14 gas 14 pool is more optimal. This way, when you start your pool, your gas finishes, and when your pool finishes, you can immediately start researching Zergling Speed (Metabolic) Boost, pull off your gas drones, make a queen, etc.

Me personally, I base my overlord timing based on base distances and personal preference. Either get ultimate smoothness or get away with an earlier drone. I personally like to get away with the earlier drone, since in this build, I'm going to expand, the extra drone will help, if at least somewhat.
Zoom out, and then zoom back in.
Hero1
Profile Joined December 2010
135 Posts
March 22 2011 14:42 GMT
#1004
On March 22 2011 04:58 shcKk wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 22 2011 01:46 Hero1 wrote:
What can I conclude TvP if my protoss opponent takes his first gas before his first gate and what are appropriate answers?

dark templar (turrets)
void ray (marines)
or some crazy high templar build

anyways just fast expand and get some marines


I've started with sending a reaper and saw a twighlight council with 3 gates and dbl gas. Does that mean DT or is there still a chance for him going blink stalkers or chargelot/sentry?
SubtleArt
Profile Blog Joined January 2010
2710 Posts
March 22 2011 15:08 GMT
#1005
If you go 14 gas 14 pool pull drones 21 hatch and u see a 4 gate, how many drones do u make before making units?

This is assuming a regular 2 gas stalker zlot sentry 4 gate where toss chronos the warpgate a lot
Morrow on ZvP: "I'm not very confident in general vs Protoss because of the imbalance (Yes its imbalanced, get over it)."
Terranoob
Profile Joined March 2011
44 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-03-22 15:20:02
March 22 2011 15:18 GMT
#1006
Is there anyway to download the YABOT thingie to have for offline play as my nets being shit and I'm getting DC's from it.

If yes, how do you add it to the permanent offline playlist?

Thanks.
svefnleysi
Profile Joined March 2011
Iceland623 Posts
March 22 2011 16:55 GMT
#1007
Is there a way to see your latency in game?
Synystyr
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
United States1446 Posts
March 22 2011 17:03 GMT
#1008
On March 23 2011 01:55 svefnleysi wrote:
Is there a way to see your latency in game?


Not that I'm aware of...You can check your FPS and other various statistics if you mouse over the "Menu" bar at the top of your screen during a game though.
Sky Terran TvP V2.0: http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=355839
ZeroTalent
Profile Joined December 2010
United States297 Posts
March 22 2011 20:27 GMT
#1009
Sometimes when I wall off vs zerg with a depot and two buildings, I accidentally trap my tanks in my base. Is there an easy rule of thumb I can use to avoid this problem? (e.g. "always put the depot along the diagonal instead of the horizontal/vertical wall", etc.)
Can we get an official definition of "all-in"? Please?
bankai
Profile Joined November 2010
362 Posts
March 22 2011 23:13 GMT
#1010
A few quick questions:

- In PvP what is the best counter to mass voids? My opponent blockaed himself with cannons, then just massed voids. Do phoenixes work well??

- In PvP, what is the best strategy against a fast teching opponent (i.e. if i scout they get 2 assims)? Should I try to do a timing attack with 4gate or just expand??

- In PvZ, what is the best follow up after defending a 7 pool rush??
Terranoob
Profile Joined March 2011
44 Posts
March 22 2011 23:28 GMT
#1011
RE the achievement badges for league position next week.

Is it awarded to those who are the top in their category, so the top whatever in Bronze, or is it in your personal 100 player league. So I'm 2nd in my league, prob get first by the weeks end, will i get a first placed badge or will i get nothing as it's the ranks of all the bronze players? Of which i'd be like 10,000th or something.

Thanks!
athief
Profile Joined November 2010
United States85 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-03-23 00:06:22
March 22 2011 23:53 GMT
#1012
On March 23 2011 05:27 ZeroTalent wrote:
Sometimes when I wall off vs zerg with a depot and two buildings, I accidentally trap my tanks in my base. Is there an easy rule of thumb I can use to avoid this problem? (e.g. "always put the depot along the diagonal instead of the horizontal/vertical wall", etc.)



I always put my depot as the 'bottom' building so I can clearly click it for lowering without going around the production buildings, and my tanks can always single-file through.

Found a pic on Google, but it's upside-down from what I mean.
+ Show Spoiler +
http://www.starcraft2freaks.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/Starcraft-2-wall-in-steppes-of-war-4-e1283552336565.jpg
"No man yields who flies on my ship" Have [i]you[/i] scanned the island?
Bobo_
Profile Blog Joined August 2005
United States192 Posts
March 23 2011 00:21 GMT
#1013
Does Storm affect burrowed units like in BW?
bankai
Profile Joined November 2010
362 Posts
March 23 2011 03:58 GMT
#1014
On March 23 2011 08:13 bankai wrote:
A few quick questions:

- In PvP what is the best counter to mass voids? My opponent blockaed himself with cannons, then just massed voids. Do phoenixes work well??

- In PvP, what is the best strategy against a fast teching opponent (i.e. if i scout they get 2 assims)? Should I try to do a timing attack with 4gate or just expand??

- In PvZ, what is the best follow up after defending a 7 pool rush??


Opinions anyone??

Thought I might as well add a 4th Q too: What Protoss units are good for assaulting a cannon heavy protoss base?? I know Colossus are good (due to long range) but anything else early game??
scythe755
Profile Joined December 2010
United States29 Posts
March 23 2011 10:05 GMT
#1015
On March 18 2011 21:20 Synystyr wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 18 2011 20:25 scythe755 wrote:
Why do I see top players scout after gate in PvZ?
Doesn't that auto die to 6/7 pool?


No, with decent worker micro and chronoboosting your first zealot out, you can hold off a 6/7 pool. The small economic advantage you get from scouting later might be critical when it comes down to certain timings in the build orders of the pros.


Looking at that response, I can't help but to think of oGsInca vs TSL_FruitDealer in GSL open season 1 on Kulas Ravine.

IMO that game is perfect example of late scout vs 6 pool and protoss auto losing. What do you think Inca could have done in term of worker micro and first zealot to hold it off?

Honestly I've never ever managed to survive 6 pool without doing the forge/gate wall, which requires 9 scout. But maybe that's because I'm still a scrub playing at ~3.5k NA master level.
i slice sc2 nerds in half
M3grim
Profile Joined March 2011
United States6 Posts
March 23 2011 10:21 GMT
#1016
Tried to search for this question but couldn't find it, hope it isn't a repeat. Sorry if it is.

I keep hearing commentators in major tournaments (GSL, TSL, IEM, etc) saying that pool first builds are uneconomical compared to hatch first.

From what I can tell, the economic difference between 11 Overpool 18/19 Hatch (18/19 depending on whether the scouting drone dies/steals a gas) and a 14 or 15 Hatch opener is almost nonexistent. In my (admittedly limited) experience, by the time two queens pop for each build, I always seem to have an almost identical number of workers. At 6:00, the two builds don't seem to show any appreciable difference.

Is there another reason Hatch first is considered a better macro opener? If it does offer a stronger early economy, does the macro advantage outweigh the risk of delaying lings and queens (~1:00 delay or longer depending on when the hatch first build gets its pool)?

Every time Day9 screams, a Mutalisk is born.
Philip2110
Profile Joined April 2010
Scotland798 Posts
March 23 2011 10:43 GMT
#1017
On March 23 2011 09:21 Bobo_ wrote:
Does Storm affect burrowed units like in BW?


Yeh they take damage like cloaked units
Master Sc2 - Diamond LoL - Eu W
Synystyr
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
United States1446 Posts
March 23 2011 11:33 GMT
#1018
On March 23 2011 19:21 M3grim wrote:
Tried to search for this question but couldn't find it, hope it isn't a repeat. Sorry if it is.

I keep hearing commentators in major tournaments (GSL, TSL, IEM, etc) saying that pool first builds are uneconomical compared to hatch first.

From what I can tell, the economic difference between 11 Overpool 18/19 Hatch (18/19 depending on whether the scouting drone dies/steals a gas) and a 14 or 15 Hatch opener is almost nonexistent. In my (admittedly limited) experience, by the time two queens pop for each build, I always seem to have an almost identical number of workers. At 6:00, the two builds don't seem to show any appreciable difference.

Is there another reason Hatch first is considered a better macro opener? If it does offer a stronger early economy, does the macro advantage outweigh the risk of delaying lings and queens (~1:00 delay or longer depending on when the hatch first build gets its pool)?



Because the economic advantage you get from a hatch first build is actually not as negligible as you might think. It IS always more economic to go Hatch first and that matters in the long term of the game. Also, going hatch first will give you more Larva at certain points in the game, such as when a 2 Rax push comes into your base. A forward spine and extra larva will help you defend your base safely and let you reap that economic benefit.

Sky Terran TvP V2.0: http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=355839
MuffinCookie
Profile Joined February 2011
China64 Posts
March 23 2011 11:34 GMT
#1019
On March 23 2011 08:28 Terranoob wrote:
RE the achievement badges for league position next week.

Is it awarded to those who are the top in their category, so the top whatever in Bronze, or is it in your personal 100 player league. So I'm 2nd in my league, prob get first by the weeks end, will i get a first placed badge or will i get nothing as it's the ranks of all the bronze players? Of which i'd be like 10,000th or something.

Thanks!

It's in your personal 100 player division.

I'm rank 3 in my silver league division, so I get the silver top 8 badge, which looks really cool.

So yes, you will get your own cool looking top 8 badge.

FYI, the top categories in the Grandmaster League are different from the other leagues, it's top 200, then 100, then 50, and finally 16.

Link to Blizzard post: http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/blog/2494686#blog
Zoom out, and then zoom back in.
MuffinCookie
Profile Joined February 2011
China64 Posts
March 23 2011 11:36 GMT
#1020
On March 23 2011 08:13 bankai wrote:
- In PvZ, what is the best follow up after defending a 7 pool rush??


Speaking from a Zerg point of view, the best follow up after defending a 7 pool rush is to go kill him. I would say it like Day9 says it, but that would be inappropriate. ;D
Zoom out, and then zoom back in.
Prev 1 49 50 51 52 53 900 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Replay Cast
00:00
2026 GSTL: Grand Finals
CranKy Ducklings118
LiquipediaDiscussion
OSC
23:00
OSC Masters Cup #151 Qualifier
davetesta33
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
RuFF_SC2 247
NeuroSwarm 180
StarCraft: Brood War
HiyA 162
hero 49
Terrorterran 11
Dota 2
monkeys_forever1135
League of Legends
JimRising 727
Counter-Strike
taco 462
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King188
hungrybox114
Other Games
summit1g9181
Maynarde209
ArmadaUGS33
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick418
StarCraft: Brood War
Kim Chul Min (afreeca) 11
[ Show 14 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 144
• practicex 12
• Letter146
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Pr0nogo 5
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Lourlo981
• Rush732
Upcoming Events
Afreeca Starleague
6h 11m
Soma vs Jaedong
WardiTV Weekly
7h 11m
Monday Night Weeklies
12h 11m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
1d 6h
Afreeca Starleague
1d 6h
Leta vs Soulkey
PiGosaur Cup
1d 20h
Kung Fu Cup
2 days
The PondCast
3 days
Replay Cast
3 days
CranKy Ducklings
5 days
[ Show More ]
Online Event
5 days
FEL
5 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
5 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.