• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 01:11
CEST 07:11
KST 14:11
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach2[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon101Weekly Cups (Aug 30-Sep 7): herO thrives amid growing schism10
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the StarCraft shooter announcement at BlizzCon 2026? Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16) Blizzard Classic Cup @ BlizzCon 2026 - $100k prize pool The Death of Cheese: From a Professional Cheeser
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Master Swan Open (Global Bronze-Master 2) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder [ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach an AI researcher's take on the ladder bot BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ StarCraft Human 'N' AI League
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 1
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread All you football fans (soccer)!
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 10291 users

Simple Questions Simple Answers - Page 50

Forum Index > StarCraft 2 Strategy
Post a Reply
Prev 1 48 49 50 51 52 900 Next
Mythito
Profile Joined January 2011
Canada230 Posts
March 20 2011 17:24 GMT
#981
On March 20 2011 09:53 thesideshow wrote:
whats the ideal ZvT unit compo against marine/tank/thor?


i like roaches with some infestors for fungal growthing marines and neural parasite on thors, you could add some banelings if there are extra marines or zerglings if there are extra thors
Did everything just taste purple for a second?
snow2.0
Profile Joined September 2010
Germany2073 Posts
March 20 2011 21:59 GMT
#982
Zerg mid to lategame question:
is there any reason zergs oftentimes puke creep with overlords on unoccupied bases, but i've never seen one fly a queen around to put a creeptumor there?
Terranoob
Profile Joined March 2011
44 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-03-20 22:37:28
March 20 2011 22:35 GMT
#983
Regarding the MMR system. If i'm bottom of my league with 2 points, will the matchmaking system attempt to match me with other no pointers? If this is a yes, does the same go for when I'm at the top? So if i have a rating of 2k in bronze and more wins than losses it will match me against similiar players?

I ask this as i haven't played a totally new player for ages and i seem to be winning as much as i'm losing, which should mean the matchmaking is matching me with players around my skill level? And if i start winning it will match me against those who are higher, and if i start losing, lower?

Thanks!
ftl
Profile Joined March 2011
28 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-03-20 22:57:22
March 20 2011 22:49 GMT
#984
If you're winning as much as you're losing, that means that the MMR system is working - it's matching you with people that are, on average, roughly your skill level.

You are correct that, if you start winning more, it'll start matching you with better players and if you start losing more, it'll match you up with worse players, until you're back to a 50-50 winrate. It's sometimes a little too slow at doing this, so it is possible to get win streaks of 20-30 matches if you improve too fast for it to catch up, but it'll get there soon enough.

I should also note that the "points" you see in your rating are NOT the same thing as the MMR, and are sort of separate. Detailed explanations can be found at http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=118212 and http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=142211 .

The short explanation: Blizzard keeps a hidden "Matchmaking Rating" (MMR) which is its best guess for how good you are. It will try to match you with people who have close MMR. The points you see differ from the MMR in several important ways:
1) The points have a floor of 0, so it's possible to have lots of people near 0 with different skill levels.
2) The points have a bonus pool, meaning that even if you're going 50-50, it's possible to have a net gain of points over time.

Together that means that until you and the people you're playing have exhausted their bonus pool and are far from 0, the points can differ wildly from your MMR. It also has introduced some weird behavior - at one point, there was a bug where people at 0 points and low mmr would constantly find themselves favored against all their opponents, due to the way MMR and points interacted.

Due to this, it's not true that it'll match you up with other 0-pointers - it'll match you with people with similar MMR, which may be other 0-pointers but which may also be found higher up in the points.
junmkk
Profile Joined February 2011
United States19 Posts
March 20 2011 23:17 GMT
#985
Does queueing Warp Prism phase mode after dropping units make it phase faster?

I couldn't tell in game but it seemed like it.

Shift Drop -> Shift Phase Mode.

vs. manually doing it.

It seems as if it drops the units and switches to phase mode simultaneously.

Also I've never gotten warp prism speed upgrade... maybe with shift drop/phase mode and the upgrade there could be a new harassment option?
glhf -masters
MuffinCookie
Profile Joined February 2011
China64 Posts
March 21 2011 00:22 GMT
#986
On March 21 2011 02:21 Mythito wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 20 2011 16:43 MuffinCookie wrote:
On March 20 2011 12:14 Dr. ROCKZO wrote:
This seems like the sort of thing I'd have to test myself to confirm seeing as it's a tad obscure but, does anyone know the optimal rate of creep tumor spread? Spawning a new one over letting the existing one naturally produce creep. I'm guessing there's a perfect timing where both sides are as efficient as possible but I don't actually know when that is/would be.


I would say three tumors per attack lane will spread optimally. Any more creep tumors can be spread in different directions.

Umm. I'm not sure if I'm interpreting your second question (if it's a question) correctly, but I think an existing creep tumor spawning another creep tumor is no different from pooping a tumor from a queen, in terms of creep spread. I think what you could is when your first creep tumor finishes spreading, you could poop a new creep tumor at the edge of the new creep, and use the existing creep tumor to spawn another creep tumor next to the newly pooped creep tumor. And keep building up creep tumors until you have three going in different directions. So it would look something like this:

[pooped tumor]
creep
creep
creep
[tumor from tumor][pooped tumor]
creep
creep
creep
[tumor from tumor][tumor from tumor][pooped tumor]

I hope that's not confusing.

Or you could just poop three tumors, and use those to just spread creep down a lane. :\


i think what he was actually asking is if it is better to do this (stealing your diagram)
[pooped tumor]
creep
creep
[tumor from tumor]
creep
creep
[tumor from tumor]


or this

[pooped tumor]
creep
creep
creep
creep
[tumor from tumor]
creep
creep
creep
creep
[tumor from tumor]

and the answer to that is the most efficient is to do it as soon as the cooldown on the tumor ceases

Oh I see what you mean. Well, either way, by placing three creep tumors, creep spreads to its limit by the time the cooldown expires. I think.

I'm gonna go test that.
Zoom out, and then zoom back in.
tuestresfat
Profile Joined December 2010
2555 Posts
March 21 2011 03:40 GMT
#987
What does TSL (the tournament) stand for? I presume it's not The SCV Life...

Sorry dumb question and wrong place but I don't want to post it in the TSL thread because I don't want to read the spoilers (haven't watched the VODs yet and didn't watch the live stream)
0neder
Profile Joined July 2009
United States3733 Posts
March 21 2011 03:51 GMT
#988
How do I change the tileset I'm appyling in the galaxy editor?
MuffinCookie
Profile Joined February 2011
China64 Posts
March 21 2011 04:39 GMT
#989
On March 21 2011 12:40 tuestresfat wrote:
What does TSL (the tournament) stand for? I presume it's not The SCV Life...

Sorry dumb question and wrong place but I don't want to post it in the TSL thread because I don't want to read the spoilers (haven't watched the VODs yet and didn't watch the live stream)

The TeamLiquid Starleague.

You know, if you looked in the Liquipedia, you could answer a lot of these kinds of questions on your own. ;D
Zoom out, and then zoom back in.
tuestresfat
Profile Joined December 2010
2555 Posts
March 21 2011 04:40 GMT
#990
On March 21 2011 13:39 MuffinCookie wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 21 2011 12:40 tuestresfat wrote:
What does TSL (the tournament) stand for? I presume it's not The SCV Life...

Sorry dumb question and wrong place but I don't want to post it in the TSL thread because I don't want to read the spoilers (haven't watched the VODs yet and didn't watch the live stream)

The TeamLiquid Starleague.

You know, if you looked in the Liquipedia, you could answer a lot of these kinds of questions on your own. ;D

sry, i used the search function but didn't use liquipedia. thanks
alphafuzard
Profile Blog Joined June 2007
United States1610 Posts
March 21 2011 06:22 GMT
#991
Whats a good unit tester/micro practice map where I can just spawn whatever units with whatever upgrades and either have them duke it out or me control one army? I tried a bunch through searching on sc2 but they were all terrible...
more weight
Kyamo
Profile Joined March 2011
Canada129 Posts
March 21 2011 11:40 GMT
#992
On March 21 2011 06:59 snow2.0 wrote:
Zerg mid to lategame question:
is there any reason zergs oftentimes puke creep with overlords on unoccupied bases, but i've never seen one fly a queen around to put a creeptumor there?


Not a zerg, so take my answer with a grain of salt. But I think the overlord hangs out at the base to watch when it is taken (and also map presence to catch sight of banshees or drops, etc). The creep is so that if the opponent wants to take that base, they have to kill the ovie AND wait for the creep to dissipate before they can build there, so it delays the opponents expansion a bit. They don't send a queen because she is needed in base for injects, and even if there is an extra queen, she is super slow and very vulnerable on the way there and back. (And you may have just used the wrong word, but queens don't fly.)
iamke55
Profile Blog Joined April 2004
United States2806 Posts
March 21 2011 12:08 GMT
#993
On March 21 2011 15:22 alphafuzard wrote:
Whats a good unit tester/micro practice map where I can just spawn whatever units with whatever upgrades and either have them duke it out or me control one army? I tried a bunch through searching on sc2 but they were all terrible...


Please search for Unit Tester Online on the create game list, then scroll down to the 8 player maps and find it written exactly as it is here.
During practice session, I discovered very good build against zerg. -Bisu[Shield]
MuffinCookie
Profile Joined February 2011
China64 Posts
March 21 2011 13:55 GMT
#994
On March 21 2011 20:40 Kyamo wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 21 2011 06:59 snow2.0 wrote:
Zerg mid to lategame question:
is there any reason zergs oftentimes puke creep with overlords on unoccupied bases, but i've never seen one fly a queen around to put a creeptumor there?


Not a zerg, so take my answer with a grain of salt. But I think the overlord hangs out at the base to watch when it is taken (and also map presence to catch sight of banshees or drops, etc). The creep is so that if the opponent wants to take that base, they have to kill the ovie AND wait for the creep to dissipate before they can build there, so it delays the opponents expansion a bit. They don't send a queen because she is needed in base for injects, and even if there is an extra queen, she is super slow and very vulnerable on the way there and back. (And you may have just used the wrong word, but queens don't fly.)

I think what he meant was why don't zerg players use overlords to DROP queens at the expansion locations and put creep tumors to prevent expanding.

And researching drop for overlords is really expensive, and not worth it if it's not going to be used to drop armies in bases. :\
Zoom out, and then zoom back in.
Hero1
Profile Joined December 2010
135 Posts
March 21 2011 16:46 GMT
#995
What can I conclude TvP if my protoss opponent takes his first gas before his first gate and what are appropriate answers?
shcKk
Profile Joined January 2011
Chile71 Posts
March 21 2011 19:58 GMT
#996
On March 22 2011 01:46 Hero1 wrote:
What can I conclude TvP if my protoss opponent takes his first gas before his first gate and what are appropriate answers?

dark templar (turrets)
void ray (marines)
or some crazy high templar build

anyways just fast expand and get some marines
Kaitlin
Profile Joined December 2010
United States2958 Posts
March 21 2011 21:28 GMT
#997
What, other than the pylon's blue circle vs. dotted perimeter does the "Model Quality" setting in Graphics -> Options affect ? I have been playing Protoss with this on low, thus the dotted perimeter, which I've gotten used to. I see some streams with the higher setting and I'm not sure which I prefer, but it's hard to tell what else this change affects, i.e., in other races, as well.
Fik-cz
Profile Joined August 2010
Czech Republic43 Posts
March 21 2011 21:39 GMT
#998
How can i turn on show range of abilities? Like "range" circle around ghost when i activate snipe comand. I cant find it in Options and i thing i saw it in some VODs.
Kaitlin
Profile Joined December 2010
United States2958 Posts
March 21 2011 21:55 GMT
#999
I don't think you can. I can see the Snipe range, but not the ranges for other skills, such as Force Field or Psionic Storm, without changing any settings. So it appears to be dependent on the ability whether it shows you its range or not.
MuffinCookie
Profile Joined February 2011
China64 Posts
March 22 2011 00:51 GMT
#1000
On March 22 2011 06:28 Kaitlin wrote:
What, other than the pylon's blue circle vs. dotted perimeter does the "Model Quality" setting in Graphics -> Options affect ? I have been playing Protoss with this on low, thus the dotted perimeter, which I've gotten used to. I see some streams with the higher setting and I'm not sure which I prefer, but it's hard to tell what else this change affects, i.e., in other races, as well.

Death animations.
Zoom out, and then zoom back in.
Prev 1 48 49 50 51 52 900 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Replay Cast
00:00
2026 GSTL: Grand Finals
CranKy Ducklings136
LiquipediaDiscussion
OSC
23:00
OSC Masters Cup #151 Qualifier
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
NeuroSwarm 176
StarCraft: Brood War
hero 269
BeSt 220
soO 49
sorry 44
Mind 27
Terrorterran 19
Bale 18
Noble 10
yabsab 7
ZergMaN 7
[ Show more ]
Icarus 6
Dota 2
monkeys_forever1003
League of Legends
JimRising 712
Counter-Strike
taco 397
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King149
Other Games
summit1g9711
Maynarde194
RuFF_SC2120
ArmadaUGS40
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick501
StarCraft: Brood War
Kim Chul Min (afreeca) 7
[ Show 15 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Berry_CruncH331
• Hupsaiya 115
• practicex 31
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Pr0nogo 2
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2125
League of Legends
• Rush939
• Stunt346
Upcoming Events
Afreeca Starleague
4h 50m
Soma vs Jaedong
WardiTV Weekly
5h 50m
Monday Night Weeklies
10h 50m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
1d 4h
Afreeca Starleague
1d 4h
Leta vs Soulkey
PiGosaur Cup
1d 18h
Kung Fu Cup
2 days
The PondCast
3 days
Replay Cast
3 days
CranKy Ducklings
5 days
[ Show More ]
Online Event
5 days
FEL
5 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
5 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.