• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 01:22
CEST 07:22
KST 14:22
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach2[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon102Weekly Cups (Aug 30-Sep 7): herO thrives amid growing schism10
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon How do you feel about the StarCraft shooter announcement at BlizzCon 2026? Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16) Blizzard Classic Cup @ BlizzCon 2026 - $100k prize pool
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Master Swan Open (Global Bronze-Master 2) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder [ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach an AI researcher's take on the ladder bot BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ StarCraft Human 'N' AI League
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 1
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread All you football fans (soccer)!
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 10728 users

Simple Questions Simple Answers - Page 49

Forum Index > StarCraft 2 Strategy
Post a Reply
Prev 1 47 48 49 50 51 900 Next
thesideshow
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
930 Posts
March 20 2011 00:53 GMT
#961
whats the ideal ZvT unit compo against marine/tank/thor?
OGS:levelchange
FliedLice
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
Germany7494 Posts
March 20 2011 01:15 GMT
#962
So in PvZ I usually go for 3 gate sentry expand. Now lately it seems to happen more and more often that those filthy Zergs actually steal my 2nd gas before I can get my Assimilator up.

My usual transition then is to just go 4 gate on him and I can't really believe how often that works without ANY effort whatsoever on my part. Of course 80% of the time I also catch some sort of flame for 4 gating, lol.

It really boggles my mind, what does a zerg actually expect to happen when he limits a protoss to only 1 gas? 4 gate just seems so hilariously obvious.
Kevmeister @ Dota2
Dr. ROCKZO
Profile Joined May 2010
New Zealand396 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-03-20 03:17:13
March 20 2011 03:14 GMT
#963
This seems like the sort of thing I'd have to test myself to confirm seeing as it's a tad obscure but, does anyone know the optimal rate of creep tumor spread? Spawning a new one over letting the existing one naturally produce creep. I'm guessing there's a perfect timing where both sides are as efficient as possible but I don't actually know when that is/would be.

Not that anyone is going to be spreading creep at a a perfect rate, but it'd be nice to have something to aim for. (Spawn Tumor > Wait 17 Seconds for optimal spread > spawn another tumor)

EDIT:


On March 20 2011 10:15 FliedLice wrote:
what does a zerg actually expect to happen when he limits a protoss to only 1 gas?


In an ideal world, they're hoping to severely delay your incoming gas heavy build. Unfortunately for them, they probably have better chances fighting that than the 4gate.

But a gas steal can also be used to deter certain tech paths that the Z's build is countered by. For instance, by blocking early immortals, the Z is free to mass roach. (a bad example, but you get the idea)
or something
rust.oxide
Profile Joined May 2010
United States94 Posts
March 20 2011 03:32 GMT
#964
My question involves something about the game 1 between oGsMC and ST_July.
SPOILERS:
+ Show Spoiler +

In game 1, MC feigned a fast expand and had a massive Sentry army. MC was able to defeat July by extremely good use of forcefields to stop reinforcements from the main, and as a Zerg I hate being in that position, regardless of whether I eventually hold it off because I feel so helpless in that situation and will most likely lose that hatchery. I was thinking of adjusting my ZvP opening in the following way:

When I see more than 1 sentry, throw down a second gas; and if I see more than 2-3 Sentries, get a Lair asap.

My reasoning is that if he's going with a sentry-heavy army, he is either going to expand, or do a 4-gate push with immense sentry support. If he's going for a 4-gate sentry-heavy push, I want to be able to have burrow roaches ASAP to deal with forcefields on my ramp. If he's just expanding and playing a macro game, I can use that early second gas to get ahead on upgrades.

Is this a bad idea in practice? Will I fall behind in other areas compared to the protoss?
raiden17
Profile Joined February 2011
United States5 Posts
March 20 2011 07:14 GMT
#965
A simple question, I either forgot or never payed attention, but how do you turn on the building grid?
MuffinCookie
Profile Joined February 2011
China64 Posts
March 20 2011 07:24 GMT
#966
On March 20 2011 16:14 raiden17 wrote:
A simple question, I either forgot or never payed attention, but how do you turn on the building grid?

Look under the "Gameplay Options". There should be a checkbox next to the Building grid option.
Zoom out, and then zoom back in.
MuffinCookie
Profile Joined February 2011
China64 Posts
March 20 2011 07:31 GMT
#967
@rust.oxide Depending on the situation and the attack timing, I think you could get away with just expanding. That's what I would do.

I like the logic behind your gas timings but honestly, I think you should just move your roaches out onto the field so they don't get trapped into your choke.

I think in this situation, you could use that second gas to get a mid-game roach/hyrda/infestor army. But at this point, I hope you have an expansion up. D:
Zoom out, and then zoom back in.
MuffinCookie
Profile Joined February 2011
China64 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-03-20 07:44:26
March 20 2011 07:43 GMT
#968
On March 20 2011 12:14 Dr. ROCKZO wrote:
This seems like the sort of thing I'd have to test myself to confirm seeing as it's a tad obscure but, does anyone know the optimal rate of creep tumor spread? Spawning a new one over letting the existing one naturally produce creep. I'm guessing there's a perfect timing where both sides are as efficient as possible but I don't actually know when that is/would be.


I would say three tumors per attack lane will spread optimally. Any more creep tumors can be spread in different directions.

Umm. I'm not sure if I'm interpreting your second question (if it's a question) correctly, but I think an existing creep tumor spawning another creep tumor is no different from pooping a tumor from a queen, in terms of creep spread. I think what you could is when your first creep tumor finishes spreading, you could poop a new creep tumor at the edge of the new creep, and use the existing creep tumor to spawn another creep tumor next to the newly pooped creep tumor. And keep building up creep tumors until you have three going in different directions. So it would look something like this:

[pooped tumor]
creep
creep
creep
[tumor from tumor][pooped tumor]
creep
creep
creep
[tumor from tumor][tumor from tumor][pooped tumor]

I hope that's not confusing.

Or you could just poop three tumors, and use those to just spread creep down a lane. :\
Zoom out, and then zoom back in.
CaptainCharisma
Profile Joined February 2011
New Zealand808 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-03-20 14:12:02
March 20 2011 13:58 GMT
#969
How do I get my Medivacs to follow the marines? I can't right-click move them to a single marine because he or she will get picked up by the Medivac, which is not what I want. I want the Medivacs to be constantly healing, not moving along above the marines doing nothing.

When my marines are damaged, the Medivacs follow my marines, healing, and I can just control the marines without having to worry about the Medivacs. This is what I want, but how do I get this when the marines are at full health?


And also an unrelated question:is there some sort of map/game (like a custom game) for doing tests, where only I am playing, and I can instantly produce units and experiment etc. I've seen videos of such maps (e.g. someone using 100 marauders vs 100 stalkers.
EG.DeMuslim --- EG.ThorZain --- TSL.Polt --- LGIMMvp --- Mill.fOrGG --- EG.Stephano --- EGiNcontroL --- EG.IdrA --- MarineKing.Prime --- SlayerS_MMA --- Liquid'Hero
MuffinCookie
Profile Joined February 2011
China64 Posts
March 20 2011 14:28 GMT
#970
On March 20 2011 22:58 CaptainCharisma wrote:
How do I get my Medivacs to follow the marines? I can't right-click move them to a single marine because he or she will get picked up by the Medivac, which is not what I want. I want the Medivacs to be constantly healing, not moving along above the marines doing nothing.

When my marines are damaged, the Medivacs follow my marines, healing, and I can just control the marines without having to worry about the Medivacs. This is what I want, but how do I get this when the marines are at full health?

A-click marines with your medivacs. Medivacs don't attack, and the "A" key is mapped to the "Heal" command of the medivacs.

But the medivacs will only ever heal that one marine you a-clicked on I think, so it maybe be better to just a-move and make sure your medivacs don't get too far ahead. Then the medivacs will heal marines taking damage.
Zoom out, and then zoom back in.
Overpowered
Profile Joined January 2011
Czech Republic764 Posts
March 20 2011 14:41 GMT
#971
On March 20 2011 22:58 CaptainCharisma wrote:

And also an unrelated question:is there some sort of map/game (like a custom game) for doing tests, where only I am playing, and I can instantly produce units and experiment etc. I've seen videos of such maps (e.g. someone using 100 marauders vs 100 stalkers.


Yes, it is usually called something like Unit Tester. Try to search it on bnet, I am sure you will find it.
Just another gold Protoss...
ticktack
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
United Arab Emirates874 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-03-20 15:22:03
March 20 2011 15:21 GMT
#972
The observer's UI in GSL, has the hotkeys displayed on top of the icons of the ability.
Here's a Screenshot..
[image loading]

How do I enable that? I haven't seen that before. Thanks!
A winner is just a loser who got pissed off and tried harder
Kaitlin
Profile Joined December 2010
United States2958 Posts
March 20 2011 16:53 GMT
#973
It was implemented in a recent patch - probably the one with chat channels. Just check around the Options, it's an obvious name - probably in Gameplay section.

My question: Some map names have an 'SE' or 'RE', what does that stand for ? Such as Terminus RE, Crossfire SE.
badDogma
Profile Joined August 2010
United States106 Posts
March 20 2011 16:54 GMT
#974
What's the best "one-size-fits-all" protoss strategy? I've been using 3gate+robo and then I expand around 7min mark if I feel safe, and then I just wing it from there (usually add on a few more gates, etc). Is this OK? Is there something better?

Please don't tell me 4gate, or a rush strategy, I'm trying to learn how to macro well and preferably get a good mid-game build that I can use to improve.
A genius cannot defeat someone who works hard. Someone who works hard cannot defeat someone who enjoys their work. -- Rain
Kaitlin
Profile Joined December 2010
United States2958 Posts
March 20 2011 16:56 GMT
#975
On March 20 2011 23:28 MuffinCookie wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 20 2011 22:58 CaptainCharisma wrote:
How do I get my Medivacs to follow the marines? I can't right-click move them to a single marine because he or she will get picked up by the Medivac, which is not what I want. I want the Medivacs to be constantly healing, not moving along above the marines doing nothing.

When my marines are damaged, the Medivacs follow my marines, healing, and I can just control the marines without having to worry about the Medivacs. This is what I want, but how do I get this when the marines are at full health?

A-click marines with your medivacs. Medivacs don't attack, and the "A" key is mapped to the "Heal" command of the medivacs.

But the medivacs will only ever heal that one marine you a-clicked on I think, so it maybe be better to just a-move and make sure your medivacs don't get too far ahead. Then the medivacs will heal marines taking damage.


I'm almost certain the medivacs will heal anything within range. It's also not a bad idea to shift-queue on several marines for it to follow in case that one marine dies.
Kaitlin
Profile Joined December 2010
United States2958 Posts
March 20 2011 16:57 GMT
#976
On March 21 2011 01:54 badDogma wrote:
What's the best "one-size-fits-all" protoss strategy? I've been using 3gate+robo and then I expand around 7min mark if I feel safe, and then I just wing it from there (usually add on a few more gates, etc). Is this OK? Is there something better?

Please don't tell me 4gate, or a rush strategy, I'm trying to learn how to macro well and preferably get a good mid-game build that I can use to improve.


The best "one size fits all" strategy after executing your build order for the matchup is to respond to your scouting information.
badDogma
Profile Joined August 2010
United States106 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-03-20 17:03:22
March 20 2011 17:01 GMT
#977
The best "one size fits all" strategy after executing your build order for the matchup is to respond to your scouting information.


I meant to say best build order/opener. Something generic that I can use until my mechanics and macro gets better.
A genius cannot defeat someone who works hard. Someone who works hard cannot defeat someone who enjoys their work. -- Rain
Kaitlin
Profile Joined December 2010
United States2958 Posts
March 20 2011 17:16 GMT
#978
On March 21 2011 02:01 badDogma wrote:
Show nested quote +
The best "one size fits all" strategy after executing your build order for the matchup is to respond to your scouting information.


I meant to say best build order/opener. Something generic that I can use until my mechanics and macro gets better.


Well, according to:

http://wiki.teamliquid.net/starcraft2/Protoss_Strategy

The build (in Stub Builds) that applies across all matchups is the 3 Gate Robo, which is what you mentioned you were using. So that's good. It's a stable build. Most suggest a separate build for each matchup, but if you want just one, you probably already have it.
Mythito
Profile Joined January 2011
Canada230 Posts
March 20 2011 17:21 GMT
#979
On March 20 2011 16:43 MuffinCookie wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 20 2011 12:14 Dr. ROCKZO wrote:
This seems like the sort of thing I'd have to test myself to confirm seeing as it's a tad obscure but, does anyone know the optimal rate of creep tumor spread? Spawning a new one over letting the existing one naturally produce creep. I'm guessing there's a perfect timing where both sides are as efficient as possible but I don't actually know when that is/would be.


I would say three tumors per attack lane will spread optimally. Any more creep tumors can be spread in different directions.

Umm. I'm not sure if I'm interpreting your second question (if it's a question) correctly, but I think an existing creep tumor spawning another creep tumor is no different from pooping a tumor from a queen, in terms of creep spread. I think what you could is when your first creep tumor finishes spreading, you could poop a new creep tumor at the edge of the new creep, and use the existing creep tumor to spawn another creep tumor next to the newly pooped creep tumor. And keep building up creep tumors until you have three going in different directions. So it would look something like this:

[pooped tumor]
creep
creep
creep
[tumor from tumor][pooped tumor]
creep
creep
creep
[tumor from tumor][tumor from tumor][pooped tumor]

I hope that's not confusing.

Or you could just poop three tumors, and use those to just spread creep down a lane. :\


i think what he was actually asking is if it is better to do this (stealing your diagram)
[pooped tumor]
creep
creep
[tumor from tumor]
creep
creep
[tumor from tumor]


or this

[pooped tumor]
creep
creep
creep
creep
[tumor from tumor]
creep
creep
creep
creep
[tumor from tumor]

and the answer to that is the most efficient is to do it as soon as the cooldown on the tumor ceases
Did everything just taste purple for a second?
Mythito
Profile Joined January 2011
Canada230 Posts
March 20 2011 17:22 GMT
#980
On March 21 2011 01:53 Kaitlin wrote:
It was implemented in a recent patch - probably the one with chat channels. Just check around the Options, it's an obvious name - probably in Gameplay section.

My question: Some map names have an 'SE' or 'RE', what does that stand for ? Such as Terminus RE, Crossfire SE.


well 'SE' is second edition typically, but i'm not sure what that would make 'RE', but it's because they are maps that the GSL slightly modified from the original Terminus and Crossfire, ie. a new edition/update
Did everything just taste purple for a second?
Prev 1 47 48 49 50 51 900 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Replay Cast
00:00
2026 GSTL: Grand Finals
CranKy Ducklings117
LiquipediaDiscussion
OSC
23:00
OSC Masters Cup #151 Qualifier
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
NeuroSwarm 175
StarCraft: Brood War
soO 339
hero 313
BeSt 233
sorry 58
Mind 31
Bale 18
Terrorterran 18
ZergMaN 11
Noble 10
yabsab 9
[ Show more ]
Icarus 6
Dota 2
monkeys_forever1040
League of Legends
JimRising 698
Counter-Strike
taco 401
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King182
Other Games
summit1g9595
Maynarde192
RuFF_SC2103
ArmadaUGS27
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick490
StarCraft: Brood War
Kim Chul Min (afreeca) 7
[ Show 14 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Berry_CruncH347
• practicex 35
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Pr0nogo 3
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2174
League of Legends
• Rush1257
• Stunt353
Upcoming Events
Afreeca Starleague
4h 38m
Soma vs Jaedong
WardiTV Weekly
5h 38m
Monday Night Weeklies
10h 38m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
1d 4h
Afreeca Starleague
1d 4h
Leta vs Soulkey
PiGosaur Cup
1d 18h
Kung Fu Cup
2 days
The PondCast
3 days
Replay Cast
3 days
CranKy Ducklings
5 days
[ Show More ]
Online Event
5 days
FEL
5 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
5 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.