• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 05:18
CEST 11:18
KST 18:18
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach2[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon103Weekly Cups (Aug 30-Sep 7): herO thrives amid growing schism10
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon How do you feel about the StarCraft shooter announcement at BlizzCon 2026? Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16) Blizzard Classic Cup @ BlizzCon 2026 - $100k prize pool
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Master Swan Open (Global Bronze-Master 2) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder PLAYzone Challenge - open offline tour in Prague [ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach an AI researcher's take on the ladder bot BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 1
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread All you football fans (soccer)!
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9566 users

Simple Questions Simple Answers - Page 45

Forum Index > StarCraft 2 Strategy
Post a Reply
Prev 1 43 44 45 46 47 900 Next
Weasel-
Profile Joined June 2009
Canada1556 Posts
March 15 2011 20:15 GMT
#881
On March 15 2011 06:20 Terranoob wrote:
So i'm Terran, playing a Terran who's turtled in his base. I've blocked off his natural and I'm waiting for him to leave his base or starve to death. As i have 2/3 expansions by this time i'm not expecting much. A quick scout of a couple of Expos after a little while shows nothing.

Then out of nowhere comes 50 banshees and vikings and blows me away, meaning he's sneaked out somewhere and being a Bronze noob, I've missed it.

The question is; Is it best to patrol 1 air unit around expos every now and again or have a marine on every one, which could be 8 marines + when facing a lame turtling. I'm just wondering what the safest and most effective option would be.

Thanks!

Yes, if you have a contain you have to make sure that's he absolutely not leaving his base or doing something somewhere else, or else it's not really a contain. Especially if you have 2/3 of the map, just line the entire air path to his base with turrets/pylons/overlords whatever to catch him leaving.
ftl
Profile Joined March 2011
28 Posts
March 15 2011 20:16 GMT
#882
On March 15 2011 06:20 Terranoob wrote:
So i'm Terran, playing a Terran who's turtled in his base. I've blocked off his natural and I'm waiting for him to leave his base or starve to death. As i have 2/3 expansions by this time i'm not expecting much. A quick scout of a couple of Expos after a little while shows nothing.

Then out of nowhere comes 50 banshees and vikings and blows me away, meaning he's sneaked out somewhere and being a Bronze noob, I've missed it.

The question is; Is it best to patrol 1 air unit around expos every now and again or have a marine on every one, which could be 8 marines + when facing a lame turtling. I'm just wondering what the safest and most effective option would be.

Thanks!


Well, 8 marines cost a total of 400 minerals, and you can park them there for forever. One air unit costs a little less than that, but takes some of your attention to remember to scout everywhere, and it's easy to forget an expo where he might be.

I'm not going to weigh in on which is *better*. But mention another few options:
1) Occasionally throw down a scan of his main. If he really is on one base and you're on 3, then that lack of mule won't put you behind on economy. However, if you see a larger army than you think is possible with his one base, you'll know something is up.

2) Have 4 marines, and just set them on a permanent patrol between various expos. If the guy really is contained to the one base you think he is, then they'll safely wander around, scout any potential expos, and give you some vision for the cost of 200 minerals/4 food - a cost that is small if he really is on one fewer base than you are. If any of them die, well, then your contain isn't as great as you think it is and it'll tell you you don't know what's going on.

3) Have you watched your own replay of that match? You should take a look - see where his extra base *actually* was and why you missed it. Take a look at your economy and army composition and see what you could have spared to see the spot you missed. There doesn't need to be a one-size-fits-all answer to the question of what to scout with late-game.

Sorry I couldn't give an actual answer to your question, but other people haven't yet either
CookieMaker
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
Canada880 Posts
March 15 2011 20:16 GMT
#883
On March 16 2011 05:09 Ghost-z wrote:
Can anyone explain to me the simple difference between the BW Marine-vs-Zergling and the SC2 Marine-vs-Zergling? What I mean is in BW the zergling will kill the marine in 1v1 combat but in SC2 the marine kills the zergling. I know the marine has 5 extra HP in SC2 but it survives the fight with more than 5 HP remaining. Were their fire rates changed at all? Movement speed or ranges different? Can someone explain this to me because I'm puzzled by it.

http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=t8Z5bsJL0-2LyqHW1DWUAYA&output=html
Micro your Macro
underdawg
Profile Joined January 2011
United States399 Posts
March 15 2011 21:21 GMT
#884
honestly i think the best thing to use for scouting expos during a heavy contain is bunkers.

1. he might simply freak out when he sees a bunker.
2. you can salvage them
3. doesn't take away army

but it really doesn't matter if you think he is one basing. all you need to do in that scenario is make sure he doesn't expand, expand a few times yourself, and make stuff. whether it's rines at each place, sensor towers, supply depots, patrolling units, etc.
wordd
Profile Joined March 2011
Australia190 Posts
March 15 2011 21:24 GMT
#885
I have a few stupid questions.

- whats the best way to manage my replays, where do i insert them into a correct folder to watch directly through sc2 gears or sc2.exe and how do i auto replay save.
- is there a hot-key for auto-repair for Terran? what is it.
-also an alternative unbound key i can use for Terran as a cancel production key. instead of ESC. I use F to lift and ` to patrol.

Thanks
YA
wordd
Profile Joined March 2011
Australia190 Posts
March 15 2011 21:34 GMT
#886
On March 16 2011 06:24 wordd wrote:
I have a few stupid questions.

- whats the best way to manage my replays, where do i insert them into a correct folder to watch directly through sc2 gears or sc2.exe and how do i auto replay save.
- is there a hot-key for auto-repair for Terran? what is it.
-also an alternative unbound key i can use for Terran as a cancel production key. instead of ESC. I use F to lift and ` to patrol.

Thanks

and any other recommended hotkey changes that makes my life easier i would love to hear.
thanks again.
YA
SimpleNEasy
Profile Joined March 2011
United States22 Posts
March 15 2011 22:12 GMT
#887
When specifically do I get the hallucination research with a 3 gate FE?
(I know it is after your Warp Gate, but after or before my expansion?)
In PvZ do I follow up with +2 Attack as soon as my +1 is finished?
(therefore getting citadel @ about 85% of +1?)
Am I supposed to focus fire corruptors if there are over 7 of them?
What about vikings?
(I personally only focus down vikings).
SimpleNEasy
Profile Joined March 2011
United States22 Posts
March 15 2011 22:18 GMT
#888
On March 15 2011 10:20 PeggyHill wrote:
Two quick questions:

1 - what hotkey setup to use for mutliple nexus? I usually have each base on a separate key (0 main, 9 natural, 8 third) but I'm sure I've seen some players hotkeying all their nexus on one key.

I understand you can make better use of chrono this way, and also macro quicker, but I quite like the ability to jump to each base using that key.

2 - if fighting MMM, is it worth targeting down the medivacs, while taking fire from the marines and marauders? from a toss perspective.


1) Well most players do not hotkey all of their nexuses in late game (at least that I know of).
HuK uses 0 for all his nexuses later on in the game.
My set up:
1-3 Army (1 as my whole army, 2 as my DPS units, 3 as my spellcasters)
4-6 Tech (Forge, Robo, 6=as necessary)
0 = Nexuses (I set a shortcut with my mousekey)
I am not a great player so I do not use any hotkeys for observers or anything yet.
In early game I use 1 as nexus, 2 as scout. As for your question of jumping to bases, I am not sure of an efficient way to do that, tbh it is your style =D.

2) No not usually, but it depends on the situation. If you are fending off a drop you obviously target the medivacs. The thing about targeting is that it takes too much APM that could be used on Force Fields and Storm, as well as reinforcing and macroing. I have seen players Feedback medivacs in battle, not never directly target them down, as a good player will not have them hanging over your army.
Remslem
Profile Joined March 2011
Sweden3 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-03-16 02:03:21
March 16 2011 01:52 GMT
#889
Hey everyone! Knew here.

Got two simple ones for you. Here goes:

1. If a worker (i.e: drone) is carrying resources and then morphs into a building, is what the worker carrying at the time wasted?

2. Are units affected by fungal growth able to attack?
(And I know I could just test this for myself, but can't seem to get the unit tester to work)
((watching some replays, I'm guessing that the answer is no?))
iamsatan
Profile Joined October 2010
United States109 Posts
March 16 2011 02:58 GMT
#890
On March 16 2011 10:52 Remslem wrote:
Hey everyone! Knew here.

Got two simple ones for you. Here goes:

1. If a worker (i.e: drone) is carrying resources and then morphs into a building, is what the worker carrying at the time wasted?

2. Are units affected by fungal growth able to attack?
(And I know I could just test this for myself, but can't seem to get the unit tester to work)
((watching some replays, I'm guessing that the answer is no?))


1. if you let the building finish, the resources are wasted, if you cancel the building the drone will still be holding the resources

2.yes they can attack if enemy units are in range.
Cliff747
Profile Joined May 2010
United States9 Posts
March 16 2011 04:35 GMT
#891
Sorry if this has been answered before. Where are the maps stored or placed on my computer? When I play off line I can still play the new ladder maps and the GSL and MLG maps but searching my computer I don't find them.
You learn something new every day, but it may not be what you expected
PineappleSage
Profile Joined April 2010
Canada109 Posts
March 16 2011 05:03 GMT
#892
after u get zergling speed what should u scout for to react and put them back on gas?
zerglings ^^
bqzg
Profile Joined January 2011
64 Posts
March 16 2011 05:22 GMT
#893
question about MMM:

I read someone talk about getting your medivacs to follow your marines/marauders instead of having them in the same control group, so that they would continue to heal while you stutterstepped your units. but whenever i try to get a medivac to follow a unit (by right-clicking it), the unit just loads up into the medivac instead. is there a way to make them follow your ground forces?
alphafuzard
Profile Blog Joined June 2007
United States1610 Posts
March 16 2011 05:26 GMT
#894
On March 16 2011 14:22 bqzg wrote:
question about MMM:

I read someone talk about getting your medivacs to follow your marines/marauders instead of having them in the same control group, so that they would continue to heal while you stutterstepped your units. but whenever i try to get a medivac to follow a unit (by right-clicking it), the unit just loads up into the medivac instead. is there a way to make them follow your ground forces?

I'm not 100% sure but a-moving the unit might work. Keep in mind though, this will make your medivacs lag behind your stutterstepping army, and make them much easier to pick off.
more weight
shaunnn
Profile Joined October 2010
Ireland1230 Posts
March 16 2011 06:32 GMT
#895
In a simple 3 gate expand v zerg, what are the chronoboost timings after doing it on the 15th food probe(first 3), do i chrono 19th food probe, or do i do I wait and do it once on the gate+core when sentry is starting, also how many do I need on the core to have warp tech done in time if I drop my gates around the standard 26/27/28 food time.

This is just for standard play v a zerg who has no intention of agression like
The naniwa - Unit of protoss skill, defined as the number of gates you build off of one base
Terranoob
Profile Joined March 2011
44 Posts
March 16 2011 10:58 GMT
#896
Thanks for all your help, guys. Now I just need to not be shit! :D
Remslem
Profile Joined March 2011
Sweden3 Posts
March 16 2011 15:41 GMT
#897
On March 16 2011 11:58 iamsatan wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 16 2011 10:52 Remslem wrote:
Hey everyone! Knew here.

Got two simple ones for you. Here goes:

1. If a worker (i.e: drone) is carrying resources and then morphs into a building, is what the worker carrying at the time wasted?

2. Are units affected by fungal growth able to attack?
(And I know I could just test this for myself, but can't seem to get the unit tester to work)
((watching some replays, I'm guessing that the answer is no?))


1. if you let the building finish, the resources are wasted, if you cancel the building the drone will still be holding the resources

2.yes they can attack if enemy units are in range.

regarding 1: Is it the same thing if I send a worker holding minerals to gas, without dropping of the minerals first? Wasted minerals?
Mythito
Profile Joined January 2011
Canada230 Posts
March 16 2011 16:06 GMT
#898
On March 17 2011 00:41 Remslem wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 16 2011 11:58 iamsatan wrote:
On March 16 2011 10:52 Remslem wrote:
Hey everyone! Knew here.

Got two simple ones for you. Here goes:

1. If a worker (i.e: drone) is carrying resources and then morphs into a building, is what the worker carrying at the time wasted?

2. Are units affected by fungal growth able to attack?
(And I know I could just test this for myself, but can't seem to get the unit tester to work)
((watching some replays, I'm guessing that the answer is no?))


1. if you let the building finish, the resources are wasted, if you cancel the building the drone will still be holding the resources

2.yes they can attack if enemy units are in range.

regarding 1: Is it the same thing if I send a worker holding minerals to gas, without dropping of the minerals first? Wasted minerals?


yes. the minerals disappear, also gas disappears when you mine minerals or turn into a building
Did everything just taste purple for a second?
Alejandrisha
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
United States6566 Posts
March 16 2011 16:22 GMT
#899
On March 16 2011 06:24 wordd wrote:
I have a few stupid questions.

- whats the best way to manage my replays, where do i insert them into a correct folder to watch directly through sc2 gears or sc2.exe and how do i auto replay save.
- is there a hot-key for auto-repair for Terran? what is it.
-also an alternative unbound key i can use for Terran as a cancel production key. instead of ESC. I use F to lift and ` to patrol.

Thanks


1. this is case sensitive. i do (winner)(RACE) v (loser)(RACE) ie tylerP v strelokT jejeje
they save automatically to docements/starscraft ii/accounts/xxxx/replays/autosave if you have the option checked. i save them manually into the multiplayer folder where i keep all my personal replays. i keep downloaded replays in various subfolders of multiplayer based on date that i downloaded them.

2. don't believe so

3.is this a question
get rich or die mining
TL+ Member
Alejandrisha
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
United States6566 Posts
March 16 2011 16:26 GMT
#900
On March 16 2011 07:12 SimpleNEasy wrote:
When specifically do I get the hallucination research with a 3 gate FE?
(I know it is after your Warp Gate, but after or before my expansion?)
In PvZ do I follow up with +2 Attack as soon as my +1 is finished?
(therefore getting citadel @ about 85% of +1?)
Am I supposed to focus fire corruptors if there are over 7 of them?
What about vikings?
(I personally only focus down vikings).


1. some prefer it right after warpgate but I think it's better to have your warpgate finish, used your 300 gas on sentries and then spend the next 100 on hullu if that's what you are scouting with. any later and you might as well make an obs -.-

2. +1 armor is great. I'd say get +1 armor after +1 attack and time the council for +2 attack after +1 armor

3. if you have adequate forcefields and can zone roaches then definitely blink stalkers back and focus corruptors. Do the same thing with vikings, for sure. Unlike vs zerg, your gateway units are actually terrible in terms of cost efficiency vs bio so you need to get those vikings down and not let bio touch your colo if at all possible
get rich or die mining
TL+ Member
Prev 1 43 44 45 46 47 900 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 42m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
mouzHeroMarine 91
StarCraft: Brood War
BeSt 762
Horang2 482
Hyuk 410
soO 407
Bisu 326
Mini 304
Larva 288
ZerO 221
Killer 63
Zeus 59
[ Show more ]
Shinee 56
EffOrt 43
Mind 40
Bale 30
PianO 25
Mong 20
Rush 16
Terrorterran 15
ZergMaN 15
ToSsGirL 13
Sacsri 11
Stork 9
HiyA 8
Dota 2
XaKoH 752
XcaliburYe285
Counter-Strike
byalli707
Other Games
singsing1283
olofmeister1009
ceh9684
Happy359
crisheroes215
Livibee172
Mew2King60
ArmadaUGS45
ZerO(Twitch)5
[ Show 12 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Berry_CruncH367
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2291
League of Legends
• Jankos1766
• Stunt410
Upcoming Events
Afreeca Starleague
42m
Soma vs Jaedong
WardiTV Weekly
1h 42m
Monday Night Weeklies
6h 42m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
1d
Afreeca Starleague
1d
Leta vs Soulkey
PiGosaur Cup
1d 14h
Kung Fu Cup
2 days
The PondCast
3 days
Replay Cast
3 days
CranKy Ducklings
5 days
[ Show More ]
Online Event
5 days
FEL
5 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
5 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.