• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 05:19
CEST 11:19
KST 18:19
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach2[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon103Weekly Cups (Aug 30-Sep 7): herO thrives amid growing schism10
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon How do you feel about the StarCraft shooter announcement at BlizzCon 2026? Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16) Blizzard Classic Cup @ BlizzCon 2026 - $100k prize pool
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Master Swan Open (Global Bronze-Master 2) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder PLAYzone Challenge - open offline tour in Prague [ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach an AI researcher's take on the ladder bot BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 1
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread All you football fans (soccer)!
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9763 users

Simple Questions Simple Answers - Page 44

Forum Index > StarCraft 2 Strategy
Post a Reply
Prev 1 42 43 44 45 46 900 Next
Mythito
Profile Joined January 2011
Canada230 Posts
March 14 2011 20:24 GMT
#861
sorry i was a little rude, normally i wouldn't have cared but it really was the last question to be answered before yours
Did everything just taste purple for a second?
Terranoob
Profile Joined March 2011
44 Posts
March 14 2011 21:20 GMT
#862
So i'm Terran, playing a Terran who's turtled in his base. I've blocked off his natural and I'm waiting for him to leave his base or starve to death. As i have 2/3 expansions by this time i'm not expecting much. A quick scout of a couple of Expos after a little while shows nothing.

Then out of nowhere comes 50 banshees and vikings and blows me away, meaning he's sneaked out somewhere and being a Bronze noob, I've missed it.

The question is; Is it best to patrol 1 air unit around expos every now and again or have a marine on every one, which could be 8 marines + when facing a lame turtling. I'm just wondering what the safest and most effective option would be.

Thanks!
Terranoob
Profile Joined March 2011
44 Posts
March 14 2011 23:41 GMT
#863
Ok, i have more questions. I wall in. I'm scared not to. I came back to the game about 3 weeks ago and my wins to losses went from +15 to -20. I sucked. Now I'm back up to +20 and i hope to get promoted within the next week or so.

Question 1) (well, 2 but let's not get picky...) I fear that if i don't wall in vs zerg they'll rush in and smash the shit out of my SVC's, or 50 rines will come in after 6 minutes and my bunker will be decimated with my SVC's. At least with a wall in I'm protected slightly and have a couple more minutes to sort my shit out. I want to not wall in and feel confident that I can hold off an early cheese/rush. A link to a thread would be good, or a quick guide which i can understand and easily put into practice

Question 2) I've read the ladder analysis thread and it's great. One thing wasn't answered, maybe it was. But my question is, is the threshhold for promotion done via win percentage? And if so, does the threshhold get diluted by the amount of games you've played. So if the threshold is... 60% (for example) from Bronze to Silver, and i've played 1000 and won 500, would i need to get another 100 wins to be promoted compared to another 10 for someone who has 50% win ratio who has played 100...?

If this makes sense I'd appreciate a reply. thanks lol. I may have misread the matchmaking and ladder system but it was overly mathematical and it would take me a long time to follow it.

Thanks a lot
Kyamo
Profile Joined March 2011
Canada129 Posts
March 15 2011 00:34 GMT
#864
On March 15 2011 08:41 Terranoob wrote:


Question 2) I've read the ladder analysis thread and it's great. One thing wasn't answered, maybe it was. But my question is, is the threshhold for promotion done via win percentage? And if so, does the threshhold get diluted by the amount of games you've played. So if the threshold is... 60% (for example) from Bronze to Silver, and i've played 1000 and won 500, would i need to get another 100 wins to be promoted compared to another 10 for someone who has 50% win ratio who has played 100...?



Win ratio and number of games doesn't matter. Promotion is based on your MMR being high enough. To make your MMR much higher, you need to beat opponents that have higher MMR than you. After each game, take a look at the league that your opponent is in. If almost all of your games are against people in the league higher than you, you are probably close to a promotion.

kerpal
Profile Blog Joined June 2009
United Kingdom2695 Posts
March 15 2011 00:54 GMT
#865
On March 15 2011 06:20 Terranoob wrote:
So i'm Terran, playing a Terran who's turtled in his base. I've blocked off his natural and I'm waiting for him to leave his base or starve to death. As i have 2/3 expansions by this time i'm not expecting much. A quick scout of a couple of Expos after a little while shows nothing.

Then out of nowhere comes 50 banshees and vikings and blows me away, meaning he's sneaked out somewhere and being a Bronze noob, I've missed it.

The question is; Is it best to patrol 1 air unit around expos every now and again or have a marine on every one, which could be 8 marines + when facing a lame turtling. I'm just wondering what the safest and most effective option would be.

Thanks!

personally i'd keep one at his obvious next expo and use another to keep checking other expos..
also, how do you NOT know what tech he's going if he turtles?
PeggyHill
Profile Joined February 2011
1494 Posts
March 15 2011 01:20 GMT
#866
Two quick questions:

1 - what hotkey setup to use for mutliple nexus? I usually have each base on a separate key (0 main, 9 natural, 8 third) but I'm sure I've seen some players hotkeying all their nexus on one key.

I understand you can make better use of chrono this way, and also macro quicker, but I quite like the ability to jump to each base using that key.

2 - if fighting MMM, is it worth targeting down the medivacs, while taking fire from the marines and marauders? from a toss perspective.
canavarr
Profile Joined January 2011
United States53 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-03-15 05:05:14
March 15 2011 04:46 GMT
#867
how do you delete a post in TL forums?
closey
Profile Joined October 2010
Hong Kong272 Posts
March 15 2011 05:27 GMT
#868
On March 15 2011 13:46 canavarr wrote:
how do you delete a post in TL forums?


There're a few methods, here's some (but not all I know)

Recommended (you'll have to work hard for it):
Become site mod
Become site admin

NOT recommended(you'll still have to work hard for it):
Hack TL forums

Also NOT recommended:
Get Obama(or whoever is president) to sign a note to tell the FBI to move out and delete specific.

This is actually one of the most fun simple answer I've made...
Rock, Paper, Scissors
canavarr
Profile Joined January 2011
United States53 Posts
March 15 2011 06:46 GMT
#869
Yesterday I was a gold player with 1111 points.

Today, I lost 2 matches (-10 and -13 pts) and won 1 game (+24 pts), and got promoted to platinum after the 3rd game.

I have 979 points in the new division though!? the math doesnt add up 1111-10-13+24 = 1112 pts (which is not 979)

what just happened?

(this is me: http://www.sc2ranks.com/us/585022/canavarr)
canavarr
Profile Joined January 2011
United States53 Posts
March 15 2011 06:46 GMT
#870
On March 15 2011 14:27 closey wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 15 2011 13:46 canavarr wrote:
how do you delete a post in TL forums?


There're a few methods, here's some (but not all I know)

Recommended (you'll have to work hard for it):
Become site mod
Become site admin

NOT recommended(you'll still have to work hard for it):
Hack TL forums

Also NOT recommended:
Get Obama(or whoever is president) to sign a note to tell the FBI to move out and delete specific.

This is actually one of the most fun simple answer I've made...


well I meant how do you delete YOUR OWN post!?
underdawg
Profile Joined January 2011
United States399 Posts
March 15 2011 08:50 GMT
#871
On March 15 2011 08:41 Terranoob wrote:
Ok, i have more questions. I wall in. I'm scared not to. I came back to the game about 3 weeks ago and my wins to losses went from +15 to -20. I sucked. Now I'm back up to +20 and i hope to get promoted within the next week or so.

Question 1) (well, 2 but let's not get picky...) I fear that if i don't wall in vs zerg they'll rush in and smash the shit out of my SVC's, or 50 rines will come in after 6 minutes and my bunker will be decimated with my SVC's. At least with a wall in I'm protected slightly and have a couple more minutes to sort my shit out. I want to not wall in and feel confident that I can hold off an early cheese/rush. A link to a thread would be good, or a quick guide which i can understand and easily put into practice

the point of walling in versus zerg is that even if they don't massively outplay you, speedlings and banelings and get in your base and wreck shit. because speedlings are fast and because it's gonna be hard to micro against banes. and because lings are melee, and marines are ranged. so people tend to wall in against zerg.

there is no real point to wall in against terran. you have the same ranged units, so they can shoot you over your wall. a siege tanks can take out a supply. you die only to a straight up push up your ramp only if you were massively outmacroed, or you went for some tech build without a bunker and they went for 3 rax or something. and it takes like 4 seconds to kill a depot with marines. not really sure what terran cheese is popular lately, but that depot won't really save you...and it will suck a lot to get supply blocked during the fight...
Terranoob
Profile Joined March 2011
44 Posts
March 15 2011 09:20 GMT
#872
On March 15 2011 09:54 kerpal wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 15 2011 06:20 Terranoob wrote:
So i'm Terran, playing a Terran who's turtled in his base. I've blocked off his natural and I'm waiting for him to leave his base or starve to death. As i have 2/3 expansions by this time i'm not expecting much. A quick scout of a couple of Expos after a little while shows nothing.

Then out of nowhere comes 50 banshees and vikings and blows me away, meaning he's sneaked out somewhere and being a Bronze noob, I've missed it.

The question is; Is it best to patrol 1 air unit around expos every now and again or have a marine on every one, which could be 8 marines + when facing a lame turtling. I'm just wondering what the safest and most effective option would be.

Thanks!

personally i'd keep one at his obvious next expo and use another to keep checking other expos..
also, how do you NOT know what tech he's going if he turtles?



Well this was just an example of a game I played. The guy sat there with turrets and rines and seiged tanks, every time i got close my shit would get blown away. His starports weren't at that base, he'd sneaked out and teched up outside.

Just me not doing enough really.
Terranoob
Profile Joined March 2011
44 Posts
March 15 2011 09:24 GMT
#873
On March 15 2011 17:50 underdawg wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 15 2011 08:41 Terranoob wrote:
Ok, i have more questions. I wall in. I'm scared not to. I came back to the game about 3 weeks ago and my wins to losses went from +15 to -20. I sucked. Now I'm back up to +20 and i hope to get promoted within the next week or so.

Question 1) (well, 2 but let's not get picky...) I fear that if i don't wall in vs zerg they'll rush in and smash the shit out of my SVC's, or 50 rines will come in after 6 minutes and my bunker will be decimated with my SVC's. At least with a wall in I'm protected slightly and have a couple more minutes to sort my shit out. I want to not wall in and feel confident that I can hold off an early cheese/rush. A link to a thread would be good, or a quick guide which i can understand and easily put into practice

the point of walling in versus zerg is that even if they don't massively outplay you, speedlings and banelings and get in your base and wreck shit. because speedlings are fast and because it's gonna be hard to micro against banes. and because lings are melee, and marines are ranged. so people tend to wall in against zerg.

there is no real point to wall in against terran. you have the same ranged units, so they can shoot you over your wall. a siege tanks can take out a supply. you die only to a straight up push up your ramp only if you were massively outmacroed, or you went for some tech build without a bunker and they went for 3 rax or something. and it takes like 4 seconds to kill a depot with marines. not really sure what terran cheese is popular lately, but that depot won't really save you...and it will suck a lot to get supply blocked during the fight...


And Vs. Toss? Zealot rushes are annoying as hell, suppose i can get a bunker down fast?
Kyamo
Profile Joined March 2011
Canada129 Posts
March 15 2011 13:08 GMT
#874
On March 15 2011 15:46 canavarr wrote:
Yesterday I was a gold player with 1111 points.

Today, I lost 2 matches (-10 and -13 pts) and won 1 game (+24 pts), and got promoted to platinum after the 3rd game.

I have 979 points in the new division though!? the math doesnt add up 1111-10-13+24 = 1112 pts (which is not 979)

what just happened?

(this is me: http://www.sc2ranks.com/us/585022/canavarr)



When you are promoted or demoted, your points are reset to your spent bonus pool +73.

In your case, at the moment I looked at your profile, the maximum possible bonus pool was 3061, and you have 2155 bonus pool available. That means you have spent a total of 3061 - 2155 = 906 bonus points. 906+73 = 979 which is exactly your current points.

Kyamo
Profile Joined March 2011
Canada129 Posts
March 15 2011 13:13 GMT
#875
On March 15 2011 15:46 canavarr wrote:


well I meant how do you delete YOUR OWN post!?



You can edit your post and remove all the text and replace with an asterisk or something I guess. I don't know if this is against the rules though, I have been on other forums where you are not allowed to use the edit feature to delete.
Mythito
Profile Joined January 2011
Canada230 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-03-15 18:57:36
March 15 2011 18:56 GMT
#876
On March 15 2011 15:46 canavarr wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 15 2011 14:27 closey wrote:
On March 15 2011 13:46 canavarr wrote:
how do you delete a post in TL forums?


There're a few methods, here's some (but not all I know)

Recommended (you'll have to work hard for it):
Become site mod
Become site admin

NOT recommended(you'll still have to work hard for it):
Hack TL forums

Also NOT recommended:
Get Obama(or whoever is president) to sign a note to tell the FBI to move out and delete specific.

This is actually one of the most fun simple answer I've made...


well I meant how do you delete YOUR OWN post!?



he was serious, you can't unless you're a mod/ask a mod

On March 15 2011 10:20 PeggyHill wrote:
Two quick questions:

1 - what hotkey setup to use for mutliple nexus? I usually have each base on a separate key (0 main, 9 natural, 8 third) but I'm sure I've seen some players hotkeying all their nexus on one key.

I understand you can make better use of chrono this way, and also macro quicker, but I quite like the ability to jump to each base using that key.

2 - if fighting MMM, is it worth targeting down the medivacs, while taking fire from the marines and marauders? from a toss perspective.



1 - you can hotkey them all to the same key and then use backspace(i believe) to hop through your nexuses

2 - it's almost never worth it to target down the medivacs.. there are rare cases like when you know theyre loaded with units or when it's something ridiculous like 2 marines and 2 medivacs fighting 2 stalkers. but other than that let your units fire at what they please
Did everything just taste purple for a second?
Doof
Profile Joined October 2010
United States204 Posts
March 15 2011 19:45 GMT
#877
What's the beef between HuK and JP as often mentioned on SotG?
Every day should be a good day to die
`chain
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
United States124 Posts
March 15 2011 20:05 GMT
#878
Why does zerg need to be 1 base ahead?
And, if I'm playing as toss, do I need to expand if I see a FE going down for the zerg?
Ghost-z
Profile Joined September 2010
United States1291 Posts
March 15 2011 20:09 GMT
#879
Can anyone explain to me the simple difference between the BW Marine-vs-Zergling and the SC2 Marine-vs-Zergling? What I mean is in BW the zergling will kill the marine in 1v1 combat but in SC2 the marine kills the zergling. I know the marine has 5 extra HP in SC2 but it survives the fight with more than 5 HP remaining. Were their fire rates changed at all? Movement speed or ranges different? Can someone explain this to me because I'm puzzled by it.
Fairy Tales when you're a child begin with "Once upon a time" and when you're an adult begin, "If elected I promise..."
CookieMaker
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
Canada880 Posts
March 15 2011 20:15 GMT
#880
On March 16 2011 05:05 `chain wrote:
Why does zerg need to be 1 base ahead?
And, if I'm playing as toss, do I need to expand if I see a FE going down for the zerg?


-Because their units are generally observed to be weaker (and cheaper) and they need more hatcheries to produce more units

-yes and no. Do some more research and you will discover something called a Build Order in SC2. There are many of these, and they usually apply to the early part of the game (much like an opener in chess). Expanding is completely based on the strategy you would like to implement in your gameplay. An aggressive strategy usually stays on one base for longer, a more passive opening strategy would expand earlier.
Micro your Macro
Prev 1 42 43 44 45 46 900 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 41m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
mouzHeroMarine 91
StarCraft: Brood War
BeSt 762
Horang2 482
Hyuk 410
soO 407
Bisu 326
Mini 304
Larva 288
ZerO 221
Killer 63
Zeus 59
[ Show more ]
Shinee 56
EffOrt 43
Mind 40
Bale 30
PianO 25
Mong 20
Rush 16
Terrorterran 15
ZergMaN 15
ToSsGirL 13
Sacsri 11
Stork 9
HiyA 8
Dota 2
XaKoH 752
XcaliburYe285
Counter-Strike
byalli707
Other Games
singsing1283
olofmeister1009
ceh9684
Happy359
crisheroes215
Livibee172
Mew2King60
ArmadaUGS45
ZerO(Twitch)5
[ Show 12 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Berry_CruncH367
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2291
League of Legends
• Jankos1766
• Stunt410
Upcoming Events
Afreeca Starleague
41m
Soma vs Jaedong
WardiTV Weekly
1h 41m
Monday Night Weeklies
6h 41m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
1d
Afreeca Starleague
1d
Leta vs Soulkey
PiGosaur Cup
1d 14h
Kung Fu Cup
2 days
The PondCast
3 days
Replay Cast
3 days
CranKy Ducklings
5 days
[ Show More ]
Online Event
5 days
FEL
5 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
5 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.