• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 15:30
CEST 21:30
KST 04:30
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 20267Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Fantasy returning? BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ BW General Discussion GG Lan Fest Sofia, Bulgaria [this November] Sagi.gg Launcher Released
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Canadian Politics Mega-thread US Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 10873 users

Simple Questions Simple Answers - Page 305

Forum Index > StarCraft 2 Strategy
Post a Reply
Prev 1 303 304 305 306 307 900 Next
ColsBols
Profile Joined December 2010
United States7 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-08-01 03:52:15
August 01 2011 03:51 GMT
#6081
I hope you watched the GSL Up/Down Group C matches. So it's match 5 set 1, TSL_Alive vs LeenockfOU. Once again, Leenock goes hatch first and Alive responds with a herpaderp 2rax bunker rush, hidden in the gold mins. He builds his first bunker a safe distance away. Leenock spots whats going on as first bunker is being built. Hatchery is still being built. Alive waits for the hatch to finish, builds second bunker right next to hatch. Fight fight pull drones kill marines make zerglingz LOSES THE HATCH.

My question, is why the fuck didn't he cancel the hatch when he saw the 2rax bunker shenaniganz happening? He lost the hatch, lots of lings and mining time and a queen. Is that really worth it? maybe I'm missing something obvious. And i guess as a larger metagame question, if that happens to me, should I let the hatch finish and try to hold it off, and why?

thanks
Soluhwin
Profile Joined October 2010
United States1287 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-08-01 03:59:43
August 01 2011 03:58 GMT
#6082
On August 01 2011 12:51 ColsBols wrote:
I hope you watched the GSL Up/Down Group C matches. So it's match 5 set 1, TSL_Alive vs LeenockfOU. Once again, Leenock goes hatch first and Alive responds with a herpaderp 2rax bunker rush, hidden in the gold mins. He builds his first bunker a safe distance away. Leenock spots whats going on as first bunker is being built. Hatchery is still being built. Alive waits for the hatch to finish, builds second bunker right next to hatch. Fight fight pull drones kill marines make zerglingz LOSES THE HATCH.

My question, is why the fuck didn't he cancel the hatch when he saw the 2rax bunker shenaniganz happening? He lost the hatch, lots of lings and mining time and a queen. Is that really worth it? maybe I'm missing something obvious. And i guess as a larger metagame question, if that happens to me, should I let the hatch finish and try to hold it off, and why?

thanks

First of all, including the "herpaderp" in the post only makes you look like an idiot.

Second, if zerg doesn't have a natural they lose. Rarely ever will you see an expansionless zerg win against a terran or protoss and it isn't just because of economy, it is about the production that the hatch gives you, the extra larva. You need that extra larva for extra lings to hold off the follow-up aggression, sitting on one hatch means you just die to marines. In an optimal scenario that hatch should not have fallen.

Third, you used "metagame" wrong :/
I put the sexy in dyslexia.
ColsBols
Profile Joined December 2010
United States7 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-08-01 04:49:53
August 01 2011 04:23 GMT
#6083
Try to be a little more elitist in the "simple questions, simple answers" thread, why don't you. I appreciate your response, but I've been drinking and did not put all that much thought into my word choices, hence the use of 'herpaderp' as a childish expression indicating my dislike of bunker-rush play. And I do realize I did use metagame wrong, but I wanted to explore the issue further.

So then if Zerg definitely needs a natural, why go hatch first on Xel' Naga Caverns, a small map on which I see time and time again hatch-first losing to terran rushes, even in the pros? Why not go your own variation of 14gas/14pool to safely expand? Is it a question of being greedy and paying for it if it fails? And how does 1base-baneling aggression covering your expo measure up against hatch first, when you have to drone up lots to make the most of it while allowing your opponent to do the same?

By all means, attempt hatch first, but if you see the bunker rush coming at you while the hatch is still building, why not cancel the hatch and tech up in your main to something that can harass/deny/delay the opponent's expo? Just throwing thoughts out here, and thank you for the help.
Soluhwin
Profile Joined October 2010
United States1287 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-08-01 06:24:19
August 01 2011 06:22 GMT
#6084
On August 01 2011 13:23 ColsBols wrote:
Try to be a little more elitist in the "simple questions, simple answers" thread, why don't you. I appreciate your response, but I've been drinking and did not put all that much thought into my word choices, hence the use of 'herpaderp' as a childish expression indicating my dislike of bunker-rush play. And I do realize I did use metagame wrong, but I wanted to explore the issue further.

So then if Zerg definitely needs a natural, why go hatch first on Xel' Naga Caverns, a small map on which I see time and time again hatch-first losing to terran rushes, even in the pros? Why not go your own variation of 14gas/14pool to safely expand? Is it a question of being greedy and paying for it if it fails? And how does 1base-baneling aggression covering your expo measure up against hatch first, when you have to drone up lots to make the most of it while allowing your opponent to do the same?

By all means, attempt hatch first, but if you see the bunker rush coming at you while the hatch is still building, why not cancel the hatch and tech up in your main to something that can harass/deny/delay the opponent's expo? Just throwing thoughts out here, and thank you for the help.

Sorry about the 2 unhelpful points, those are just little pet peevs of mine. As for why you hatch first, it is a common misconception that 14 pool is better than hatch first vs a 2 rax. With a hatch first, you get creep at your natural quicker so denying bunkers becomes easier by use of spine crawlers. In addition, you also get that natural's larva sooner, and your first 2 queens up and injecting faster, meaning it becomes easier to replenish lost drones. As for why don't you cancel the hatch...I don't see why you would. It isn't like you can go back in time and 14 pool by canceling it, you've already delayed your pool. Even if that was the case, like I said in my other post, if a terran or protoss sees that you are only on one hatchery's worth of larva, they will just make stuff and kill you because you won't have enough stuff of your own to respond, so it is completely counter productive to cancel that hatch when it is actually what lets you not die.
I put the sexy in dyslexia.
Psyclon
Profile Joined July 2010
Bulgaria2443 Posts
August 01 2011 06:29 GMT
#6085
Has anyone ever used talc powder or any other substance for hand dryness and thus better grip on the mouse? I hate it when my hands get sweaty
Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds!
Probe1
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
United States17920 Posts
August 01 2011 06:36 GMT
#6086
Don't be sorry. You shouldn't post like that anywhere, let alone in strategy. Got it herpderp?

Moving on..
I've never lost control of my mouse from hand sweat.. Talcum powder may clog up your mouse :\ Good luck with that.
우정호 KT_VIOLET 1988 - 2012 While we are postponing, life speeds by
galtdunn
Profile Joined March 2011
United States977 Posts
August 01 2011 06:52 GMT
#6087
I agree with the herpderp sentiment... to me "herpderp," when applied to an action, involves little thought, or in this case skill/effort.
bunker rushes, while they can be executed skillfully, are not something especially challenging, essentially you have a ton to gain and little to lose.

And it's perfectly valid to not like them.
Currently editing items in the DotA 2 wiki. PM for questions/suggestions.
ligand
Profile Joined February 2011
United States53 Posts
August 01 2011 06:57 GMT
#6088
Do EMPs stack?
Probe1
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
United States17920 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-08-01 06:59:00
August 01 2011 06:58 GMT
#6089
If by stack you mean does each EMP remove 100 energy/shields then yes.

Tell you what guys, if you feel strongly about this then go make a blog. This isn't the place.
우정호 KT_VIOLET 1988 - 2012 While we are postponing, life speeds by
ligand
Profile Joined February 2011
United States53 Posts
August 01 2011 07:02 GMT
#6090
By stack I meant that if I use another EMP on a unit before the first EMP has vanished.

Thanks for the help!
Soluhwin
Profile Joined October 2010
United States1287 Posts
August 01 2011 07:04 GMT
#6091
On August 01 2011 16:02 ligand wrote:
By stack I meant that if I use another EMP on a unit before the first EMP has vanished.

Thanks for the help!

What do you mean? EMP does not have an over-time effect, it is instant. If you're talking about the cloak stripping effect then I believe it would just reset the duration, not stack.
I put the sexy in dyslexia.
ligand
Profile Joined February 2011
United States53 Posts
August 01 2011 07:17 GMT
#6092
Ooops I guess I was equating it to Psi Storm. Thanks for the clarification!
Probe1
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
United States17920 Posts
August 01 2011 07:20 GMT
#6093
Yeah no, psy damage over time (aoe) emp instant energy/shield damage (aoe) gg
우정호 KT_VIOLET 1988 - 2012 While we are postponing, life speeds by
blinkblue
Profile Joined May 2010
United States119 Posts
August 01 2011 08:36 GMT
#6094
Is there a good replay I could download to watch the proper execution of the korean TvZ banshee into 2port raven play?

It looks ridiculously fun (I tried it earlier today, cloakshees into 3rax 1fac 2port marine/hellion/ravens, saved up energy on ~5 ravens and fucked shit up) but there are some huge holes and timings where I could get crushed. Would be nice to see how to execute it properly.
imbecile
Profile Joined October 2009
563 Posts
August 01 2011 12:53 GMT
#6095
True or false: Your performance inthe mirror matchups is primarily a measure of your mechanics, your performance in the other matchups is primarily a measure of your decision making.
FlaminGinjaNinja
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
United Kingdom879 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-08-01 13:03:20
August 01 2011 13:01 GMT
#6096
On August 01 2011 21:53 imbecile wrote:
True or false: Your performance inthe mirror matchups is primarily a measure of your mechanics, your performance in the other matchups is primarily a measure of your decision making.


Only if you both do identical builds. I mean absolutly identical, like your both doing your builds off a build script and will not make any deviations

Edit: PvP both going 4 gate is more a measure of mechanics but if it's a PvP 4 gate vs 2 gate robo then decision making becomes more important. (not more important then mechanics but more important then in the 4g vs 4g)

And every game is a measure of mechanics and decision making.
GinjaNinja.661 EU I'd like to thank my sh*t keyyboard for always messing up my 'Y's
tuestresfat
Profile Joined December 2010
2555 Posts
August 01 2011 13:34 GMT
#6097
Maybe not the best place to ask this...

What happened to Liquid'Nazgul? Does he no longer play sc2 professionally? Last time I remember him competing was way back in 2010 MLG Dallas.
Numy
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
South Africa35471 Posts
August 01 2011 13:55 GMT
#6098
On August 01 2011 22:34 tuestresfat wrote:
Maybe not the best place to ask this...

What happened to Liquid'Nazgul? Does he no longer play sc2 professionally? Last time I remember him competing was way back in 2010 MLG Dallas.


He doesn't play SC2 professionally. In fact last MLG he was at he wasn't playing professionally then either.
JohnyeRobbles
Profile Joined August 2011
United States1 Post
August 01 2011 15:14 GMT
#6099
I'm sure we all got our fill of TvT and hellion drops from yesterday's MLG competition. I need someone to set me straight on TvT hellion defense:

Why am I not seeing professionals bunker their mineral line to prevent hellion harassment? Clearly this isn't the best strategy or they'd be doing it. I'm just looking for the explanation on why they don't.

For an investment of 500 minerals and 4 supply per base, you have neutralized the hellions. Isn't the opportunity cost of losing x scv's and the mining time associated with them much more costly than 500 minerals?
ToastieNL
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
Netherlands845 Posts
August 01 2011 15:22 GMT
#6100
On August 02 2011 00:14 JohnyeRobbles wrote:
I'm sure we all got our fill of TvT and hellion drops from yesterday's MLG competition. I need someone to set me straight on TvT hellion defense:

Why am I not seeing professionals bunker their mineral line to prevent hellion harassment? Clearly this isn't the best strategy or they'd be doing it. I'm just looking for the explanation on why they don't.

For an investment of 500 minerals and 4 supply per base, you have neutralized the hellions. Isn't the opportunity cost of losing x scv's and the mining time associated with them much more costly than 500 minerals?

Well, it's a mirror matchup after all. If you spend 1,5K on defences in your bases, with 12 supply, Your opponent might just use his funds for a frontal attack. You'll not get all bunkered supplies back in time and just lose the fight. Just like going ZvZ and playing with 5 less drones, economy in a mirror matchup is way more important.

That being said, off course sim- city is the best possible response to hellions. Use those SDs ur going to build anyways to wall of, hell, you can even escape if the medivac drops inside ur mneral line :O!
Zerg lategame is imbalanced as shit. Also: "Protoss is really strong recently. Perhaps, it's time for there to be some changes for Terran." -MMA. Even MMA asks for buffs. Srsly Blizzard. Srsly.
Prev 1 303 304 305 306 307 900 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 2h 46m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
mouzHeroMarine 629
ProTech132
UpATreeSC 119
JuggernautJason65
Nina 45
MindelVK 32
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 29313
Calm 2834
Mini 146
firebathero 128
Dewaltoss 103
soO 45
HiyA 27
Hyun 26
Bale 23
NaDa 20
[ Show more ]
Aegong 19
PianO 19
Sacsri 6
Dota 2
Gorgc8497
XaKoH 298
canceldota2
League of Legends
Doublelift256
Counter-Strike
Fnx 1598
fl0m1480
Heroes of the Storm
Liquid`Hasu671
Other Games
FrodaN2254
B2W.Neo583
Beastyqt581
mouzStarbuck312
Livibee183
ToD182
KnowMe146
C9.Mang0128
Trikslyr115
RotterdaM99
Mew2King47
[ Show 14 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• StrangeGG 60
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Azhi_Dahaki32
• niya90s 1
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Other Games
• imaqtpie1130
• Shiphtur784
• WagamamaTV234
Upcoming Events
OSC
2h 46m
Replay Cast
3h 31m
OSC
1d 3h
Big Brain Bouts
1d 14h
Rex vs INexorable
GgMaChine vs HeRoMaRinE
Reynor vs herO
AI Arena Tournament
1d 21h
BSL: Ladder Tournament
1d 23h
Sparkling Tuna Cup
2 days
Patches Events
2 days
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
[ Show More ]
WardiTV Weekly
4 days
PiGosaur Cup
5 days
The PondCast
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.