• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 11:14
CEST 17:14
KST 00:14
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror2[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup6StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)67Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2316
StarCraft 2
General
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups? How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns
Tourneys
Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror SC4ALL II: Brood War Player Announcement 4/4 Fantasy returning? BW General Discussion Bot on ladder
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 2v2v2v2 Tournament [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8578 users

Simple Questions Simple Answers - Page 276

Forum Index > StarCraft 2 Strategy
Post a Reply
Prev 1 274 275 276 277 278 900 Next
rsvp
Profile Blog Joined January 2006
United States2266 Posts
July 19 2011 16:42 GMT
#5501
On July 19 2011 19:03 JoeAWESOME wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 19 2011 18:57 brachester wrote:
what are the different icons you can get on TL?


Depending on your post-count and what race you picked


How long you've been a member for is also a factor.
Torte de Lini
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
Germany38463 Posts
July 19 2011 16:44 GMT
#5502
On July 20 2011 01:42 Anihc wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 19 2011 19:03 JoeAWESOME wrote:
On July 19 2011 18:57 brachester wrote:
what are the different icons you can get on TL?


Depending on your post-count and what race you picked


How long you've been a member for is also a factor.


http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=165878&currentpage=189
https://twitter.com/#!/TorteDeLini (@TorteDeLini)
rsvp
Profile Blog Joined January 2006
United States2266 Posts
July 19 2011 16:46 GMT
#5503
On July 20 2011 01:16 HardCorey wrote:
You can't really go only Collossi-Phoenix. You need some gateway units in there to help protect the Collossi from the ground army. It is very common for you to kill all the vikings and then have no ground army left to fight a big MM ball.


I think the gateway units are implied.

Also I don't think trying to match the viking count is a good way to approach this issue, since you can't always get an accurate count and it's much easier to make vikings than phoenix. If I go phoenix/colossus in PvT late game I'll have 2 stargates making phoenix, and I'll stop once I get to about 10-15 regardless of the terran's viking count (obviously if he stops making vikings I'll stop remaking phoenix).
CaptainWafflez
Profile Joined July 2011
United States3 Posts
July 19 2011 16:48 GMT
#5504
I am starting to get more into starcraft. I am still a little undecisive for which i like best. Any tips on getting more familiar with one race.

Thanks for the help,
CaptainWafflez
new to sc2
rsvp
Profile Blog Joined January 2006
United States2266 Posts
July 19 2011 16:49 GMT
#5505
On July 20 2011 01:48 CaptainWafflez wrote:
I am starting to get more into starcraft. I am still a little undecisive for which i like best. Any tips on getting more familiar with one race.

Thanks for the help,
CaptainWafflez


Play more.
CaptainWafflez
Profile Joined July 2011
United States3 Posts
July 19 2011 16:51 GMT
#5506
will do haha
new to sc2
ToastieNL
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
Netherlands845 Posts
July 19 2011 16:57 GMT
#5507
Well to get to learn the hotkeys more, you should just play a lot. If you enjoy, you might do the Protoss missions in the campaign, but only for hotkey purposes, some things don't function as they should, neither do you have acces to Warpgates for a long time.

Playing, playing, lots of playing.

To learn to know the units, you could open up a unittester.
Zerg lategame is imbalanced as shit. Also: "Protoss is really strong recently. Perhaps, it's time for there to be some changes for Terran." -MMA. Even MMA asks for buffs. Srsly Blizzard. Srsly.
Blazinghand *
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
United States25563 Posts
July 19 2011 17:14 GMT
#5508
On July 20 2011 01:49 Anihc wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 20 2011 01:48 CaptainWafflez wrote:
I am starting to get more into starcraft. I am still a little undecisive for which i like best. Any tips on getting more familiar with one race.

Thanks for the help,
CaptainWafflez


Play more.


Although brief, Ouggnohz is correct, as usual. I'd recommend playing practice 1v1s with your friends, or queuing up for custom 1v1s on xel naga caverns and shattered temple, or laddering, and just be Random and get a feel for all three races. Once you've played about 20 games with each race, you'll have a much better feel for what you like.
When you stare into the iCCup, the iCCup stares back.
TL+ Member
RAGEMOAR The Pope
Profile Joined February 2011
United States216 Posts
July 19 2011 17:44 GMT
#5509
If an OL poops on a chronoboosted structure, does it last for the full duration and block the chronoboost (full duration in real seconds), or does chronoboost speed up the dissipation (chronoboosted time)?
shackes
Profile Joined August 2010
Germany148 Posts
July 19 2011 17:47 GMT
#5510
On July 19 2011 21:01 Kambing wrote:
However, you can break the cycle if you end up clicking before the "Snipe selected via repeated R" step. This can be due to simply clicking faster than the keyboard spams R. Or it has to do with your keyboard repeat delay (the delay between when you initially depress R and when the keyboard begins repeating it) and can be fixed through settings to a degree. See this earlier reply for more info:

+ Show Spoiler +

On May 09 2011 14:28 Kambing wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 09 2011 14:13 raj_ wrote:
Is there a way to completely turn off the keyboard repeat delay in XP?

(I ask because it would help me with placing forcefields - if you hold down F and start click-spamming right away you can de-select your sentries during the repeat delay time on your keyboard.)


Basic way to lower keyboard repeat delay is something like Control Panel -> Hardware -> Keyboard -> Repeat Delay.

Turning it off in general is impossible since there is a OS-set min cap on the delay. There's ways around it, e.g., see this thread about using autohotkey and registry hacking to do so:

http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=190576

Stackoverflow also recommends KeyboardKing (the goofiest name for a program I've ever heard) for adjusting repeat and delay rates:

http://bandwidthcontroller.com/Keyboard King/

You can look at the relevant stack overflow question if you want to hunt around for other solutions:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/171326/how-can-i-increase-the-key-repeat-rate-beyond-the-oss-limit




Great answer, thank you. I didn't even know the cause of the problem.

I'm having a look at KeyboardKing right now, but I have to be careful, because (with Grid) Stim is on the same key as Snipe...
Tryxtira
Profile Joined November 2010
Sweden572 Posts
July 19 2011 17:47 GMT
#5511
On July 20 2011 02:44 RAGEMOAR The Pope wrote:
If an OL poops on a chronoboosted structure, does it last for the full duration and block the chronoboost (full duration in real seconds), or does chronoboost speed up the dissipation (chronoboosted time)?


The chrono boost does not speed up the time it takes for the poop to disappear. At least I'm 99% sure that's the case.
Vod.kaholic
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
United States1052 Posts
July 19 2011 17:49 GMT
#5512
On July 20 2011 02:44 RAGEMOAR The Pope wrote:
If an OL poops on a chronoboosted structure, does it last for the full duration and block the chronoboost (full duration in real seconds), or does chronoboost speed up the dissipation (chronoboosted time)?


You're referring to Overseers (not OL which = overlords), but no, the chronoboost does not reduce the duration of the contaminate poop. It only applies to production/research, not status effects.
._. \: |: /: .-. :\ :| :/ ._. They see me rolling...
RAGEMOAR The Pope
Profile Joined February 2011
United States216 Posts
July 19 2011 18:02 GMT
#5513
So, if an overseer contaminates the building, you lose any chrono time remaining?
Blazinghand *
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
United States25563 Posts
July 19 2011 18:07 GMT
#5514
On July 20 2011 03:02 RAGEMOAR The Pope wrote:
So, if an overseer contaminates the building, you lose any chrono time remaining?


Contimating a building that is chrono boosted wastes the chrono boost.

http://wiki.teamliquid.net/starcraft2/Contaminate#Use
When you stare into the iCCup, the iCCup stares back.
TL+ Member
Knockoutpill
Profile Joined April 2011
Sweden23 Posts
July 19 2011 18:22 GMT
#5515
I started playing a few weeks ago after having only watched matches and tournaments on justin.tv and youtube (favorite casters: Day[9], halby, Husky, Diggity and AskJoshy). After having won three of the five qualifying matches I was put in the silver league. Having watched hours and hours of pro play I feel I have a pretty okay grasp of what to look out for, but my micro and general understanding of the game mechanics is missing.

I'm playing terran mostly because that's what I played in the campaign and I don't want to have to learn new hot keys.

I have some really n00b questions:

1. If I have an army consisting of, say, marines, marauders, medivacs, vikings and a raven, how would you suggest I divide the hotkeys? If I have them all on one hotkey then I can't stim because whenever I hit T the raven wants to drop a turrent (and there's no stim happening). I generally have MMM on one hotkey, the raven on one and the vikings on one (so that I can control them to snipe colossi, etc). But that makes for a lot of hitting hotkeys. But maybe there is no other way?

2. Whenever I'm standing with a bunch of guys somewhere on the map and I have my unit buildings rallied to that point and I want to put my army on different hotkeys, I have to double click a unit type, move it to one point and then do that with all the different unit types before I can click and drag to create control groups. What's a better way of creating control groups and adding/removing single units or groups of units from control groups?

3. When one of my SVCs is building something and that SCV gets attacked, what's the most proper response? If I select that SCV and look at the commands I can give it I think it says I can press S to have it "Stop current action" (something like that) and then fight back or run away, but that doesn't seem to work for me. Maybe I'm doing it wrong. I always have to click with the mouse.. and then I bring over another SCV to fight the attacker and run away with my damaged SCV. I have needlessly lost a lot of SCVs by attacks from scouting workers in my base.

4. When stutter stepping with marines or marauders, is it move + stop + move + stop, etc? (Right click, s, right click, s...)

I'm sorry if any of these questions have been answered earlier. This thread is 276 pages with 19 (20?) posts per page and I didn't feel like reading them all. :-/
http://sc2ranks.com/eu/2064646/Kyuss
tuestresfat
Profile Joined December 2010
2555 Posts
July 19 2011 18:48 GMT
#5516
noob question, what differences highlight the CEVO "cloaked" maps from the ladder ones and the versions mlg uses?
Numy
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
South Africa35471 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-07-19 18:56:52
July 19 2011 18:56 GMT
#5517
On July 20 2011 03:48 tuestresfat wrote:
noob question, what differences highlight the CEVO "cloaked" maps from the ladder ones and the versions mlg uses?


Cloaked maps don't show the stats screen afterwards. So you can't see build orders. MLG versions of ladder maps generally remove close by ground positions and put a depo at the bottom of the ramp so you can't 2 building wall or 3 pylon block.
TwistedHelix
Profile Joined July 2010
United States50 Posts
July 19 2011 19:10 GMT
#5518
Question about gas timing:

Assume a ZvZ where both players fast expand (on say, tal darim) and plan on going for a roach/infestor midgame. If I want to get fast +1/+1, then infestors, then +2/+2, what should my approximate gas timings be? I.E., first gas at 17, second when lair starts, etc.
vanao
Profile Joined November 2010
9 Posts
July 19 2011 19:13 GMT
#5519
does the vision-range of missile turrets also increase with research of the shooting-range upgrade?
Soluhwin
Profile Joined October 2010
United States1287 Posts
July 19 2011 20:00 GMT
#5520
On July 20 2011 03:22 Knockoutpill wrote:
I started playing a few weeks ago after having only watched matches and tournaments on justin.tv and youtube (favorite casters: Day[9], halby, Husky, Diggity and AskJoshy). After having won three of the five qualifying matches I was put in the silver league. Having watched hours and hours of pro play I feel I have a pretty okay grasp of what to look out for, but my micro and general understanding of the game mechanics is missing.

I'm playing terran mostly because that's what I played in the campaign and I don't want to have to learn new hot keys.

I have some really n00b questions:

1. If I have an army consisting of, say, marines, marauders, medivacs, vikings and a raven, how would you suggest I divide the hotkeys? If I have them all on one hotkey then I can't stim because whenever I hit T the raven wants to drop a turrent (and there's no stim happening). I generally have MMM on one hotkey, the raven on one and the vikings on one (so that I can control them to snipe colossi, etc). But that makes for a lot of hitting hotkeys. But maybe there is no other way?

2. Whenever I'm standing with a bunch of guys somewhere on the map and I have my unit buildings rallied to that point and I want to put my army on different hotkeys, I have to double click a unit type, move it to one point and then do that with all the different unit types before I can click and drag to create control groups. What's a better way of creating control groups and adding/removing single units or groups of units from control groups?

3. When one of my SVCs is building something and that SCV gets attacked, what's the most proper response? If I select that SCV and look at the commands I can give it I think it says I can press S to have it "Stop current action" (something like that) and then fight back or run away, but that doesn't seem to work for me. Maybe I'm doing it wrong. I always have to click with the mouse.. and then I bring over another SCV to fight the attacker and run away with my damaged SCV. I have needlessly lost a lot of SCVs by attacks from scouting workers in my base.

4. When stutter stepping with marines or marauders, is it move + stop + move + stop, etc? (Right click, s, right click, s...)

I'm sorry if any of these questions have been answered earlier. This thread is 276 pages with 19 (20?) posts per page and I didn't feel like reading them all. :-/

1) Generally the more hotkeys you use for your army the better, because it allows for diversity in control. Just keep practicing your 1a2a3a and it shouldn't be a problem for long.

2)Selecting all of a unit type is easier with ctrl+click, from that point I'm not sure why you are boxing to create control groups, so I'm just gonna throw some stuff out and hope it helps:
You can add units to a control group with shift, so if you are hotkey-ing MMM then you can ctrl+click the marines, shift1, ctrl+click marauders, shift1, ctrl +click medivacs, shift1. You can remove units from your current selection with shift+click, so say you have something in your group you want to remove (like an scv that got itself caught in a box or something) then shift click the unit portrait of the scv in the bottom bar, then ctrl set your hotkey again. Also, shift+click can be used to add single units, or when combined with control, add a unit type. Take the scenario above when I mentioned using shift to set hotkeys, you could also do that by ctrl+click marines, shift+ctrl+click marauders, shift+ctrl+click medivacs.

3) The halt construction hotkey is t.

4) I believe there is a delay with using stop, so as long as you know you're in range of your opponent (such as, kiting a zealot) then hold position is better. Now, as a zerg player, I usually deal with lower range units (such as roaches vs. hellions) so hold position can be harmful in that scenario so I use stop anyways.
I put the sexy in dyslexia.
Prev 1 274 275 276 277 278 900 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Shopify Rebellion Sundays
00:00
#14
MilkiCow vs TBD
Clem vs TBD
Harstem186
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
Harstem 186
Railgan 89
trigger 46
IndyStarCraft 22
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 52791
Shuttle 8678
BeSt 758
Horang2 493
actioN 235
Larva 201
Sexy 187
ggaemo 138
Soma 137
Last 117
[ Show more ]
Mind 95
Zeus 79
Sea.KH 60
hero 58
Hyun 54
Killer 47
Aegong 46
ToSsGirL 28
Bale 24
PianO 22
Rock 19
NaDa 12
Sacsri 7
Dota 2
Gorgc5056
qojqva2655
Dendi1432
420jenkins476
Fuzer 106
Counter-Strike
fl0m3347
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor1177
Liquid`Hasu817
MindelVK3
Other Games
B2W.Neo968
singsing713
Beastyqt609
Mlord472
byalli378
ArmadaUGS212
Livibee211
Hui .192
KnowMe123
QueenE68
Mew2King52
CosmosSc2 30
Chillindude20
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick796
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream60
[ Show 13 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Adnapsc2 18
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• HerbMon 53
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• C_a_k_e 2947
League of Legends
• Nemesis2803
Other Games
• WagamamaTV218
Upcoming Events
BSL Open Qualifier
3h 46m
BSL Open Qualifier
3h 46m
Replay Cast
7h 46m
Afreeca Starleague
18h 46m
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
19h 46m
Monday Night Weeklies
1d
Replay Cast
1d 7h
Afreeca Starleague
1d 18h
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
1d 19h
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
2 days
[ Show More ]
The PondCast
3 days
INu's Battles
3 days
Replay Cast
5 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
6 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6 days
Patches Events
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
Copium Cup
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.